Utah Utes football: Nothing golden in Golden Gate City for Utes

Comments

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:16 a.m.

Depressing!

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 4:52 a.m.

Come on Utes! I am a BYU fan and have a hard time cheering for the Utes due to the rivalry. But, this is getting too bad for even a rival to take delight. It would be nice to show that we can in Utah play with the big boys.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:35 a.m.

I think the Utes are trying to lose, that way they'll have a better shot at drafting Andrew Luck for next year. Oh, wait....

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Oct. 23, 2011 6:12 a.m.

Isn't the Pac 12 wonderful? Don't fret over wins and losses Ute fans, your school and team got the "BIG BUCKS"! Your up next Cougars!

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Oct. 23, 2011 7:19 a.m.

It's still a great season. We killed BYU, who beat USU, who beat Weber State. That makes the Utes the unofficial state champs. Unless Snow, Utah Valley or Dixie wants to take a run at us.

And the easy part of our schedule is ahead of us with the bottom feeders of the PAC-12 to come. I still predict an 8-4 season and it looks like we have a real shot at the Las Vegas Bowl, which is as good as we could have hoped for in the Mountain Worst Conference.

Next year we can set our goals higher, but as for our first year in the PAC-12, I am sure we are going to do better than our little brother to the east the University of Colorado. Now there's a pathetic squad. Our Medical School could wipe up the ER with your Medical School!

By the way who can we expect to play in the Las Vegas Bowl anyway?

• Festus riverton, utah
    Oct. 23, 2011 7:54 a.m.

I like it.

• AZCoug Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:00 a.m.

Shocking! I had expected a close game down to the wire. Coach Kyle will figure things out for next week. Oregon St. played tough against Wash. St. though!

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:10 a.m.

And so it goes... For every Texas, USC, and Florida there is an Iowa State, Washington State and Vanderbilt. I was hoping the Utes would make waves this year, as the stage was set so perfectly for them with USC's sanctions and an "easy" conference schedule (no Oregon or Stanford). Unfortunately, they have thus far shown that if they do belong, they belong with the latter group of teams that are very much a part of a BCS conference, but irrelevant in the BCS picture.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Not surprising!

• UTAH MAN AM I Murray, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Ugly game. This season continues to disappoint. It's clear Utah needs more depth to compete in this conference. That's apparent when first string players go down and blowout after blowout is the result. Norm Chow's offense has not been as advertised either, be it due to scheme or personnel, or as I'm afraid, both. The easiest part of the schedule is now here (minus Montana St. and BYU, those were earlier). Hopefully the ship can be righted to a degree and we can go into next year with some momentum, health and greater depth.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:40 a.m.

Tough year for Utah. My local D.I. is already full of red clothing. Everybody abandon ship, or maybe that should be bandwagon.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:50 a.m.

The PAC 12 is looking at exercising clause 34d in their contract with Colorado and Utah...that clause states that if these schools can not cut the mustard, they will be asked to leave the PAC12...hello WAC.

• UtahNeb Doniphan, NE
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Gdog3finally.......you say depressing? Well someone out here in Nebraska who follows the Cougs and the other team to the north of them thinks this is serving the RED team well: just another drubbing!! Luv it because it is just what you asked for!

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Where is Chris B.? He used to provide some comic relief.

• SI SANDY, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Pretty easy to shut an offense down when the defense knows they only have to defend 10 yards downfield. It's risky for Utah to open it up but what's happened the last few weeks offensively continues to happen if they don't. And they can't because their supposed "experienced line" can't keep the defense off their QB long enough to run a pattern downfield (can't keep them off long enough to run a 7 yard slant!) and can't open a hole for the RB. I can understand the struggle with an inexperienced QB, what I don't understand is why that makes the other 21 players on the field suddenly totally inept?

To "utesovertide" from last week - isn't this exactly what I said would happen? Me, the guy you said had no college football knowledge (even though I played D1 football while you sat in the stands)? How are those "red" colored glasses working for you now? Utah has NO offense, you still going to challenge that? Utah proves every week how much you know.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Wow, intersting!Keep fighting, Utes!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:39 a.m.

The Utes' QB depth DID become an issue, as many though initially, but hoped wouldn't happen.

I thought Hays was showing some progress and ability, but this game shows he's still a rookie in this league. Even Wynn might not have made that much of a difference this time.

The Utes won't go bowling. Arizona's come on strong of late, so that possible win (pre-season projections) likely won't happen.

There's still an outside chance of getting to 6 wins, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I did predict at the first of the season in a post to a Ute article that the Utes would get a rude awakening to what it's like to play BCS teams week in and week out. Seems it's coming true worse that I'd thought, though.

Buck up. You've got next year to right the ship.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:40 a.m.

Try getting a ticket to RES this season. Utah haters are so jealous. It's blue in my closet waiting for a decent home game.

So, without Wynn and Christopher we know Utah needs more depth.

On the other hand, if the worst happens, Utah is still in the PAC 12.

I would rather lose to top conference teams than beat up a DIV II school during mid season. I have really enjoyed the season so far.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:43 a.m.

My statement above does not make me a Y hater. If we get in the Big 12, I will dust the blue in my closet.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:43 a.m.

It's hard to win a lot of games with a pitiful offensive line. No holes opened for the run and no pass protection for an inexperienced QB is not a formula for success. Most of us knew if Wynn went down the Utes would struggle. What we didn't expect is a line that gives a new meaning to the word offensive, and Joe Schmoe, I'll still be there Saturday cheering for my team the same as I have for 17 seasons. Even if Utah doesn't find an answer this year, we still pounded your team 54-10. We also have just as many conference wins as BYU this year. Oh wait, that's because no one wants you. So sad.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:47 a.m.

Utah is the nail to BYU's coffin. The BCS can now pat themselves on the back and say,
    "See, the non-AQ's cannot compete week after week with our superior conferences."

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Probably the worst thing that happened to Utah was to blow out BYU early in the season. They got a big head and thought they were headed for the Rose Bowl. Who would have ever thought that in the Deseret News October 23rd edition BYU would rate overall an A- and Utah a D- in the games played on the previous day? And that in the standings, BYU would be 6-2 and bowl eligible and Utah 3-4? Amazing!

Go Cougars!

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Come on Ute fans why does Whit and Chow get a pass here. They should have a lot of heat on them right. I played at SUU and went to the Weber game yesterday, glad i did, for some reason i care more about the Utes than my own team. When i got in the car after the game and heard the score my first thougt was.1 both Weber and Suu qb's could start for the utes easy. 2 this is all on Whit for a terrble pathetic job in recruiting. 3 do something different on offense, your o line is bad your qb is real bad, have u given up on the year or what. Try something anything on offense.

• BrettlyBlue SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Ouch. BYU has more Pac 12 wins this year than Utah.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 23, 2011 11:00 a.m.

The key to Ute football is recruiting JC transfers from California, in both the SCFA and CCCAA. Focus on assimilating proven student-athletes who were unable to make it academically into a FBS program as a freshman but have now proven themselves on the field and in the classroom. This is the best way for the Utes to quickly up their game to a competitive level in the Pac12.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 23, 2011 11:10 a.m.

mindgames said, "And the easy part of our schedule is ahead of us with the bottom feeders of the PAC-12 to come."

News Flash: UTAH is THE bottom feeder of the PAC-12.

I predicted 5 wins for Utah. And I am hardly ever right, but Oregon State and Arizona are going to beat the Utes. Too many problems to fix.

Better luck next year.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 11:23 a.m.

@nothergame and bandwagon Utah fans

"Come on Ute fans why does Whit and Chow get a pass here. They should have a lot of heat on them right."

Let me just start by saying I hate Utah. Always have. Having said that, PLEASE try to remember that just 10 years ago, nobody in the country even knew who Utah was. Think about it for a minute. If you have followed college football longer than ten years, you would know that Utah is relatively new to the scene.

To say that Kyle Whitingham should have heat put on him is ridiculous. They ought to make a bronze statue of the guy in front of the Stadium.

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 11:53 a.m.

SI

Wow, I must have struck a nerve with you last week for you to continue calling me out. True, I only played high school ball, and I watch from the stands now, but just keep in mind it is because of tens of thousands of guys like me who pay for seats and donate money to scholarships that you and your son even had the opportunity to play at a higher level. For all the money we have to pay for you guys to play, I think I can have some say in what goes on too.

You say I have red colored glasses on, but I don't know what you're talking about. My points last week were that ugly games happen all the time, that ESPN commentators shouldn't be able to bash college players, most of whom are just there to play and go to school (You should know that if you played D1), and that Utah "can grow from this game if they choose to..."

Keyword "choose". How is any of that "homerism"? Obviously they didn't choose to grow from last week and got it rubbed in their face.

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Si: one more thing. How's this for "red" colored glasses. At the beginning of the season I told my group of friends and Utah fans that I thought the Utes could muster a 7-5 season, maybe an 8-4 with some luck. That coming from a diehard Ute fan. The interesting thing is we've beaten two teams that I thought we'd lose to, and we've lost to two teams I thought we would beat. Want to take any guesses as to one of the games I thought we'd lose yet we ended up winning? Do you know anyone who wears red colored glasses who would think or say the Utes could lose that game?

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 12:17 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I was wanting to somehow remove the Utah Utes sign in my neighbor's front yard...now I just think to leave it there, drap something black over it maybe...

I do agree that I pull for the Utes to play well against out of state opponents, as reps of our great state...sorry for the loss...get better, go Utes...and don't forget to do your family-history work, your kindred dead are waiting..

• gnrl39 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 12:56 p.m.

I guess we can pretty much forget about the Utes being at the top of the southern division of the PAC 12 this year can't we?

Remember how Arizona and Arizona State were going to take the PAC by storm a few years ago?

Boise State just keeps plugging along with their winning ways......

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:02 p.m.

So the real question is... how badly will Oregon State spank utah? Maniacal laughter!!!!!
    Feel badly for the players and the coaches but the fans...reap what you have sown. Further maniacal laughter!!!!!

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 1:13 p.m.

A 1994 because it was UM that got the utes going. Now it's KW turn. I like him a lot but if the cougers where gettin killed the fans would have his job by now.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 2:56 p.m.

You know the Utah fans are really scratching the surface for something to make them feel better when they are still bringing up the game against BYU that happened over a month ago and was really the ONLY good thing they've done this season. That's like the High School bully reminding his victim of that one time he beat him up in second grade but hasn't beat up on anyone else since. Come on guys. Really? You walk around boasting about that still? I understand it's the rivalry and all but you guys look down on us so much. To you we are nothing. That would be like us parading around shouting from the rooftops that we beat ISU and we are the best! Didn't you guys get so upset because we stormed the field when we beat USU and you laughed because you thought that was dumb? If we are so pathetic in your eyes, what's the difference? Come on, leave us "little guys" alone and actually win a game for heaven's sake!

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Oct. 23, 2011 3:31 p.m.

It all begins and ends with the coach. I love Coach Whit! However, coaches like Gary Patterson of TCU, Chris Peterson of Boise St, and Urban Meyer when he coached Utah, all have a knack for judging talent in a 3 star recruit and recruiting the athletes they know will make an impact on the field. I don't think Utah has those kind of coaches that can judge talent. They may have had it before when Urban was coach and he could see it in those coaches on his staff. As good as Coach Whit is, I think he is a good coach, not a great coach. He trusts his coaching staff to do their jobs and that is what a head coach is suppose to do, but not all coaches on the staff are good. Coach Whit will have to go back to the drawing board and figure out something before next year comes around. Go UTES!

• Stackhouse paradise, nv
    Oct. 23, 2011 4:02 p.m.

The Utes will turn it around in the next game or two and become bowl eligible. I still think it was a mistake to do away with the offense Urban Meyer brought to the U and replace it with one that had stopped working in the PAC10 years ago. There is a reason why UCLA paid for Norm Chow to take a hike.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:25 p.m.

I'm no Utah fan but I am surprised that Whittingham got caught with little or no depth at the QB position. His O-line play has been below previous standards too. I thought he would get some wins on coaching alone. I guess it is tougher than getting a team ready for one BCS level game a year instead of every week.

• Bigute Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Utah Football
    2011
    R.I.P.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Oct. 23, 2011 7:03 p.m.

I've been to all home games (and a lot of road ones) for 17 seasons now and this isn't the worst team I've seen Utah have. and for those of you down south, I've seen some BYU teams just as bad. I have never seen a team so decimated by injuries on the hill though and they don't have the depth to compete in the PAC 12 right now. The O-line is horrible. I don't think Hays is bad but, it's hard to tell when he has to run for his life on every play. I think Utah will be lucky to get 6 wins this year but, it's still only one year. If you Cougar trolls don't think they'll get better, just wait until next year. or do you not remember the Crowton years?

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 23, 2011 8:37 p.m.

I sure hope Chris B bought refundable tickets to the Rose Bowl....

• grandmak Irvine, CA
    Oct. 23, 2011 11:51 p.m.

We were at the game yesterday and were elated when the U finally scored. Even the CAL fans sitting all around us cheered with us. It made a great ending to a very miserable game. Go Utes!! Win or loose you're still our team and we love you. We are so excited you are playing in CA once in a while--we will be there to cheer you on! I know you couldn't hear us as much as the CAL fans but know we are there for you. Keep working hard. You will get to be a great team again. And coach--just keep working hard--this is the 1st year in the PAC 12--we will be patient.

• BigUtahFan BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Kewgar fans are really piling it on. Good for you. How was that DII game? Fun huh? It's funny how awesome you think your team is now that you are playing weak competition. You're lucky to have recruited Nelson on his mission. The Y's season ended with your first loss to UT. Utah's season ended when Wynn went down.

As a Utah fan, I would rather take a beating at the hands of a PAC12 team than play byU's cupcake schedule.

Utah will recover. They will have depth at all skill positions moving forward. Utah fans have to take their lumps this year, but I know K Whitt and company know how to win and they will.

GO UTES!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 12:37 p.m.

"Nothing golden in Golden Gate City for Utes"

Well other than the shower Cal gave them. LOL!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 24, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Hey Duckhunter LOL

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 24, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Did they look bad or what?

I don't know what has happened, but I hope the Utes get it figured out soon. I do know that Jon Hays is part of the problem and it's too bad we don't have somebody else to turn to. Our offensive line is also not up to par for the Pac 12. It's time to dig deep and find the will to win.

Keep you heads up Ute fans. True fans don't abandon their team when they are down.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 25, 2011 7:42 a.m.

@bigutahfan

Time to watch Star Wars instead of Ute football. Here's some favorite lines of 'evil' Emperor to Luke Skywalker...

"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

and...

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."

At 8-0 last year you were preaching the virtues of 'cupcakes'. Deny the same privilege to your opponents?

So typical.