U.S. & World

On the frontier: How BYU-Idaho is pushing the boundaries of higher education

Comments

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Oct. 16, 2011 2:13 a.m.

I will never call Ricks College BYU - Idaho..........plain and simple!!

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Oct. 16, 2011 2:30 a.m.

This article excellently illustrates a point I have made in response to many of BYU's detractors in regards to research. Jabs have been made at BYU's lack of research as a reason for not being invited to a BCS league (particularly the PAC12). (First of all, I don't believe that academics is playing a significant role in the shaping of athletic conferences.)

The point this article illustrates well is that BYU-Idaho (and BYU) have a mission to produce top-quality undergraduate education, and they are both succeeding in that goal. Their goal has not been to be a research institution nor to put their money, emphasis, and time into graduate programs.

A recent study showed that BYU was one of the top 5 schools at producing PhDs. They are also one of the the top schools in the country at sending students into Dental programs and getting students into medical school.

In medicine, the subspecialists get more acclaim and recognition than the primary care physicians, but the world only needs so many Pediatric Cardiologists, when there is a huge need for Pediatricians.

BYU/BYU-Idaho know what their goals are and they do them well. Good for them.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Oct. 16, 2011 5:57 a.m.

i think it is great what they are doing at Ricks. That was a huge, largely untapped resource. And there are many great faculty who love to teach who are willing to be a part of it even if they earn less than they could get elsewhere. My only beef is that they should have kept the Ricks name. I have always been sad that it isn't called Ricks University.

• Bob Folkman Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:32 a.m.

I look forward to the next articles. This description of the beginnings of the change for BYUI is in tune with the spirit of many foundational LDS Church teachings, and another example of the inspired leadership of Pres. Hinckley, as well as the other men who have been prepared to accept calls to service.

• limejello SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 8:39 a.m.

The article is curious. It isn't really news. More of a paean to the Y of I than real news or even a human interest story. Shouldn't this be in the Church News, rather than the Deseret News? Where are the controversies? Where are the ambiguities? Nothing, other than passing reference to some who lamented the elimination of the sports program. What about the irreparable damage to the student-oriented atmosphere the school was known for? No mention that the Church could have built another university and left Ricks to do what it did so well. No analysis of the non-sequitur in the statement by Gordon B. Hinckley that the Church needs to educate all or none or some. Based on the logic of this article, is the Church now committing to build a new university with each additional, say, 4 million members?

The fact is that central to the Church's role is being a light to the world. Why segregate Mormon students in Rexburg when, in fact, they can be so much more of a light to the world by being in universities "out there" in the world?

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Oct. 16, 2011 8:42 a.m.

I've heard it said, and I wish I knew the source of the quote . . . .

"If engineering is taught correctly, students should be able to cross the Red Sea - with or without a bridge, which ever they choose."

Society has been so determined to remove faith and religion from every aspect of life and the same results that have been noted throughout history keeping coming back to haunt us.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:13 a.m.

Wow! Now I know WHY Ricks dropped football and got renamed BYU-Idaho.

BYUtv also explains why BYU itself won't drop college athletics, for those with open minds.

Can't wait for the next two submissions of this article.

Glad to see the Church being innovative above and beyond the rest of acadamia.

• watcher@75 SMITHFIELD, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Ricks College, now BYU-Idaho, has proven to be a school of higher education that does in fact build a solid foundation for those who attend and study with real intent. Teach young minds, then send them into the world to lead. An atmosphere of greatness embraces all that is done on campus. The Holy Ghost dwells there performing some of the most amazing and miraculous spiritual awakenings found anywhere upon this earth. Please keep going.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:02 a.m.

A university that is being prestigious by giving low-cost four year degrees. What a revolutionary, liberal concept.

• Virgil SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:40 a.m.

I graduated from BYU-Idaho and went on to the U of U for graduate school. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I got much more academically for my money and time in Rexburg. Moreover, several of my old classmates who went to universities across the country (including BYU-Provo) tell me the same thing. There is something to be said for having teachers who want to teach.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:41 a.m.

As a U of U alum and lifelong U sports fan I love BYU academia. I have a daughter who graduated from BYU-I and couldn't have received a better education. When I say education, I mean education for life. She learned great things at BYU-I that allowed her to be employed but she also had the values that her family taught her reinforced. I appreciate the values education she received that can help her be a great person as well as an educated person.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 11:35 a.m.

@limejello

Over-thinking a simple paradigm shift can conjure various litanies. This article shed light on a unique educational design, that offers an alternative to the failing structure of the American Education model. It's featured placement in the Deseret News seems as fitting as it's sequence for patrons of the prestigious Aspen Institute.

The article inspired personal reflection. When a piece prompts self improvement, and introspection, the benefit reaches both the individual and society. I find this fitting newsprint, be it secular, or religious.

• Larry M Chicago, IL
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:13 p.m.

I'm glad BYUI offers a low cost education to so many students, but let's not get carried away with praise.

The online degrees are offered only to those with previous on-campus study which excludes most of us. The "Pathway" program is very limited; a member in Ghana or Manhattan can enter but most LDS can't.

There is a need for another LDS college, so I pray The Church will take over some struggling college out in middle America and transform it.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Re: limejello: This is news, and real news because a university focused on these goals: "raise the quality of every aspect of the experience students have on campus, make a BYU-Idaho education available to more young people and lower the relative cost of education" is so very different than the norm in higher education. Where the goal is to focus on status, raise costs, and continue to provide low quality teaching that in most cases is just a barrier to learning. This vision of a prophet to change an archaic corrupt higher education system is just as monumental as another prophet's calling to change the archaic corrupt religious systems of the world in the 1820's.

• Steve Jensen Herriman, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I got my Construction Management degree at BYU-I and it was great. Their Construction Management program is one of the top in the country. With smaller class sizes and hands on classes, it was a great place to go. It was too bad they dropped athletics there due to cost. There was originally talk about them being in the Big Sky conference with Weber St. with some BYU (Provo) recruits playing their freshman and sophomore years there to gain experience before playing at Provo. It would have been fun....

• John Marx Layton, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 1:06 p.m.

Overall I enjoyed the environment and the academic experience of BYU-Idaho, but I submit that they integrate the church into the experience too much. They are asked to say a prayer before the beginning of each class. The entire campus shuts down for the devotional on tuesday. You have to be at home by 12:00. You can't be alone with the opposite sex in a apartment. You can't grow facial hair. You have to keep the blinds open if someone of the opposite sex is in your apartment. 18+ year olds should be learning to live on their own, not being coddled and controlled.
    On several occasions my ecclesiastical endorsement was threatened for minor offenses, such as missing Elder quorum. Which would have costed me a year. Having my academic progress held hostage was overall a faith-demoting experience.
    To each his own, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Oct. 16, 2011 1:18 p.m.

Thank-you Watcher and Hellooo. My daughter and her husband will walk in December. My son will walk next spring. My visits to campus have been incredibly nostalgic given my only semester at Ricks(fall 1965/pre-mission.) Wow what marvelous growth and what a powerful spiritual atmosphere. AND a beautiful temple puts the ultimate crowning touch to an amazing experience for all who attend.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 1:34 p.m.

The Church does things by the Lord's methods, not the world's. I think this article is great and I learned a lot of things I didn't know. Whatever need the Children of God have, the The Lord and the Church have a program to address it. This is a wonderful example of how the Church is providing educational opportunities to our Father in Heaven's children throughout the world.

• dave31 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 3:14 p.m.

Kim Clark became well known at Harvard Business School for re-thinking the real mission of the school and for re-directing the focus of the school to accomplish that mission. He has continued to utilize his unique analytical talents of "thinking outside the box" to bring much needed changes to this institution as well as providing insight to other educational institutions as they attempt to move beyond the archaic methods heretofore employed.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 3:57 p.m.

John Marx who forced you to go to college at BYUI? I heard David Bednar say if you don't keep the honor code than go somewere else it is not fair to those that do. And actually many of the commandments actually give people freedom as well.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 4:44 p.m.

I am a student at BYU-I and am set to graduate in a semester or two. I am amazed and continually grateful for the quality and cost of the education I am receiving. My interaction with my professors has been overwhelmingly positive. I am extremely to Presidents Hinckley, Bednar, Eyring, & Clark for their vision and work to make this happen. It's just been a great blessing.

As far as a lack of athletics are concerned, I have participated in some of the competitive athletics that the school replaced the intercollegiate athletics with and it too has been great. The level of competition was much higher than I had anticipated. There were students who had the chance to receive scholarships at other universities playing a sport but instead came to BYU-I and coached their own team made up of fellow students.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Bravo to BYU- Idaho for daring to rethink the entire concept of college education and rebuild for the purpose of providing good education at low cost. The inclusion of a faith based component does no harm, and despite the conniption fits it may give the perpetually offended ACLU, it is a valuable part of living a good life.

This is a concept which is desperately needed in our entire educational establishment, K-12 as well as collegiate level. And, the willingness to sacrifice the sacred cow of athletics is especially significant. Once that paradigm is broken, it becomes a lot easier to rethink many other things "we have always done that way..."

Indeed, this concept should be applied to government programs and agencies as well.

And, no one is forced to go to BYU-Idaho, only to adhere to their standards if they do. You know, like when you have a real job and the boss expects you to do certain things and you get fired if you don't comply. Therefore I have no sympathy for anyone who wants the benefits of BYU education programs without obeying the rules. Plenty of other "prestigious" schools have no rules.

• John Marx Layton, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 5:18 p.m.

@higv
    Thanks. You've reminded me of what I least liked about BYU-Idaho. The inability to take criticism in any degree or in any form. You can't critique anything (even student insurance policies or parking permits) without someone saying "Well if you don't like it, you can leave."
    Just because I disagreed with some aspects of the honor code doesn't mean I broke it with reckless abandon. I never did anything that could have resulted in my expulsion from the school. When my endorsement was threatened I knew it was empty threats to try to keep me in line.
    I never said it was a terrible experience. I'm just saying if you want to go to a university you will be treated like an adult, I recommend somewhere else.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:03 p.m.

*extremely grateful

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:14 p.m.

John Marx...

Seriously, you should go somewhere else. There are plenty of opportunities to voice your concerns to President Clark through student representatives. Just the other day, I got an email from the dean of students office asking me to participate in sharing my concerns, if I have any, so that they may better serve the students. There are some things that we are required to do as students, but your assertion that we are treated like children, have no voice, and no freedom is bordering on the absurd.

Your sense of entitlement is astounding!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:32 p.m.

" ....the willingness to sacrifice the sacred cow of athletics is especially significant".

DN Subscriber: We all have "sacred cows", don't we.

There is a very large community in the upper Snake River Valley that this has affected, and not necessarily in a positive way. Athletic teams at Ricks College had been an important tradition for many years - in its absence, the local community has "suffered".

There are many who could care less, but there are many who thrive on the traditions, and the atmosphere it brings.

• Mormonstudent Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 7:07 p.m.

I am a current student at BYU-Idaho and will graduate in April. I assume many of you readers out there are returned missionaries. I would ask you to reflect on how important and life-changing your mission was to you, and then read carefully as I tell you that my experience at this school has been as sacred and important a preparatory experience as was my own time serving a mission.

Some here that the University "coddles" us and treats us as children. I spent my first six semesters here as a single student and am now married with one child. I am a better husband and father because of the way the Honor Code has taught me to live.

BYU-Idaho has also prepared me academically, and has put me in an excellent position to pursue my professional goals. I believe BYU is a great school, but for my circumstances, BYU-Idaho has been a better match. I am grateful that the Lord guided me here, and that He has provided this sacred learning center in the first place.

Parents, you can't go wrong sending your kids here.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 8:15 p.m.

Enjoyed the article.....I do think Mr. Clark was done as the dean at Harvard whether or not he accepted the position in Rexburg---I think after 10 years as dean at Harvard, you must move on, and Pres. Hinckley knew that.... I would someday like Mr. Clark's opinion on Larry Summers stimulus package that is now known as the Obama stimulus package of 878 billion in February of 2009. I know the two being friends probably think alike, but I'm just assuming that.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 8:28 p.m.

I really liked the article......many university elitists in this country are against family and traditional marriage and having children......really ironic since it is people having children that gives these institutions more job security and a brighter future.

• JF Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:40 p.m.

BYU-I is an important addition to LDS educational possibilities. It has a place for students who desire particular kinds of outcomes. And it is important to make education available to a wider range of students than attend BYU Provo.

But the danger lurking in BYU-I's "new DNA" is the assumption (one that Clayton Christensen and Henry J. Eyring make clear in their _The Innovative University_) that vocational training--meaning primarily the transfer of information about a subject--is equal or superior in value to "mental training," meaning training in ideas, how to think. Obviously the Harvard business school has been the model at BYU-I for what education should be, but a survey of top business executives will show that a high percentage of them have degrees in liberal arts rather than business--in thinking rather than in particular sets of facts. A basis in the liberal arts followed by training in business has worked very well for a lot of people.

There's no reason to believe that President Hinckley's goals require the present understanding of education that defines BYU-I. This article praises Kim Clark and others for confusing those two.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:53 p.m.

JF, if the "particular kinds of outcomes" one desires does not include a cost-effective educational degree and a job, one should definitely choose a private liberal arts college with a $30k per year tuition price tag. Deep student debt and few job prospects are "particular kinds of outcomes" for many college grads today.

• John Marx Layton, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:27 p.m.

"Seriously, you should go somewhere else." I'm already gone.

"Do you know how much more affordable it is to go to school here compared to other places? Do you realize the sacrifices the presidents of the school made to leave places like Harvard and Stanford to come here?

Your sense of entitlement is astounding!"

I never said that BYU-Idaho isn't a good educational organization or that it wasn't a good deal. I criticized one aspect of the school. I forgot the "You should be grateful" was the other goto response. Even when it isn't applicable.

• Rexburg Reader Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 11:03 p.m.

Most people, in and out of the LDS Church and even here in Southeast Idaho, have no idea about the miracle taking shape at BYU-Idaho. I feel remarkably blessed to have witnessed all that has happened over the past ten years. I wonder what the next decade will bring. I recommend a tour of campus if you have never been here, or if it has been several years since you last visited Rexburg. You'll be blown away (no pun intended)! Not just by the remarkable and beautiful facilities and grounds, but by the many programs offered to enhance the experience of every student.
    Also, someone made a comment about the new Pathway program being limited in availability. This program, which will revolutionize the way education is distributed to members of the LDS Church, only recently moved from the pilot phase. Already there are, I believe, 27 satellite campuses, including sites in Mexico and Ghana, with eight more scheduled to open around the first of the year. So give it time. A Pathway site will likely be coming to your area soon!

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Oct. 16, 2011 11:18 p.m.

El Chango Sumpremo
    "I do wish that BYU would play a "neutral site" basketball and/or football game or two on campus as the facilities are there to accommodate them, or broadcast all the games live on campus so that the students could feel connected to a team... Tom Holmoe, are you listening?"

I totally agree with this. I'm not sure though that many schools would see this as a neutral site, but I'd love to see BYU extend its fan base by involving BYU-I and BYU-H more. At a minimum, they should be broadcasting games there and I like the idea of playing some games there--basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, etc. Football is so expensive they need enough ticket sales to justify a neutral site game, but it might also work. How big is the stadium there?

• Mormonstudent Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 16, 2011 11:48 p.m.

Rexburg Reader,
    You read my mind. I 100% agree with everything you say there, and you put it better than I could have myself.

The Church is investing a lot of resources into BYU-Idaho. People will notice!

• welcomethemall Nampa, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 12:32 a.m.

JF-

I am looking forward to reading the book to further understand your observation. However I am not as concerned that there is a confusion as you state. When you study Clark's work at Harvard it was not "trade-based." He was all about teaching people to think, especially from within a moral framework that was larger than merely a profit-model. He was all about engaging people to find and pursue their passions in a way that make the world a better place.

This is still unusual in business education. With two students currently at BYUI, I can tell you anecdotally that there does not seem to be any confusion. My daughters are empowered to think critically, and to find their passions - their callings if you will.

My wife teases me that I got a vo-tech degree as a CPA, while she got an education. I understand the good-naturedness of the teasing, but I also think that these "vo-tech" degrees are no longer as 2-dimensional as perhaps they once were. And that is due to educational leaders like Bednar and Clark.

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:48 a.m.

John Marx, I was hoping that you were still at BYUI. The "go somewhere else" syndrome is only appropriate when someone is deliberately trying to drag down the institution or organization, and you clearly weren't. Not everyone who goes to a BYU school has to be identical, and when they graduate I hope they're not identical, either. Rules are pretty useful in life, and learning to discipline oneself to live within the rules where ever you are is a valuable tool. We always have the right to "go somewhere else", but the ability to stay where you ought to be at a point in time is often a wise choice and important skill in a world that is rarely black and white in terms of the available choices.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:12 a.m.

Japan Cougar,

The stadium is not that big, so a football game ever happening is quite unlikely.

The basketball arena on the other hand is pretty good sized and would easily accommodate enough fans to make it financially worth while.

I do wish that the Athletic Dept at BYU would do something to include the student body at BYU-I.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:43 a.m.

I can understand how some subjects of education don't require research, but science and engineering are both disciplines that I have a hard time believing should be just really well taught--without realworld research application.

Especially with how quickly technology is changing, and how one's technical skills are obsolete every ten years (at best), research can help keep students looking to the edge of what's possible.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 7:55 a.m.

Pushing the boundaries of extremism.

• NHCougar Somersworth, NH
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I started at BYU-Idaho during the first "official" semester back in 2001. I was able to transition into my degree after two years and graduated in 2005. I absolutely loved my experience at BYU-Idaho. I forged life-time friends, strengthened my testimony, gained valuable life and leadership skills, and married the love of my life. Many of the youth in my ward are at BYU-Idaho, I remind them that as great as the school is, they get out of it - what they put into it.

The inspiration of the name change from Ricks to BYU-Idaho was no more apparent then applying for jobs. Here in New England, none of the companies I interviewed at had ever heard of "Ricks College" but they all knew about "Brigham Young University." I know many complained about the name change when I was in Rexburg, but in those job interviews I recognized the wisdom from President Hinckley.

I'm amazed at the changes to the school/Rexburg since I left. My only wish for the current student-body walking around campus, take those ear-buds out and socialize with each other. Almost everyone looks like drones walking around. ;)

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Why doesn't byu-provo accept all credits transferred from byu-Idaho? Back when it was 2-year Ricks College, BYU rarely accepted transferred credits. Is that BYU admitting that Ricks College wasn't very good?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:19 a.m.

I enjoyed my three years at the College Formerly Known as Ricks. I had a great time and unlike John Marx never came close to losing my ecclesiatical endorsement. I did sleep in a few times during sacrament meeting (even slept through some High Council sacrament meetings). While I was upset they did away with intercollegiate athletics, I have sat in on some of the basketball games with the student teams. They are quite good. I treasured my time at Ricks and made some great lifelong friends through our shared experience. Glad that it is a four year now, and wish it would have been when I was there. I wasn't and still am not fond of the name change.

• Southern Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 17, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Bednar was an associate dean over graduate studies in the business school at the U of Arkansas--he was never a full "Dean at the University of Arkansas" and never claimed to have been. Get your facts straight, DNews.

• sdavis1960 Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Japan Cougar,

How about resurrecting a BYU JV program and playing a couple of games in Rexburg vs. Montana Western or Carrol College!

Other BYU sports like soccer, volleyball, even basketball could have preseason or exhibition games in Rexburg.

I like the idea of celebrating what is great about all of the CES programs and by having a BYU presence in Rexburg, and exporting some of BYUI's touring groups, art shows, etc. to Provo could go along ways.

• sdavis1960 Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:25 a.m.

To Utter Nonsense,

BYU also offers a degree in Construction Management -- check out their catalog or do a google search.

• Demosthenes Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:36 a.m.

A couple of points:

This article is only about BYU-Idaho. What's discussed does NOT apply to BYU, where professors are under the "publish or perish" paradigm in most departments.

No one is forced to go to BYU-Idaho, so complaints about the honor code or church ties are pointless.

The online degrees mentioned are entirely online. Attendance on campus is not required. The number of online degrees will continue to increase, but does have limits.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Ricks was a special place for those who, while not college material in the classical sense of the term, had specific talents and abilities that required encouragement and refinement. That is quickly changing. I don't care what the "suits" say. I have had frequent annual contact with BYU-I students since the transition. BYU-I students are gradually becoming as self righteous and condescending as are many of their counter-parts in Provo. The spirit of Christ-like acceptence and love has been replaced with a sort of white-washed corporate attitude, such as you find in the Salt Lake Valley.

Case in point, BYU-I has stripped the various departments of the ability to award departmental scholarships, in favor of centralized university scholorships. Once again, those who least require encouragement and assistance are showered with financial assistance and recognition while, the average student with a unique gift or talent is left to struggle along. President Clark is probably a nice guy and solid member of the church. But I know Ricks College and, BYU-I isn't it!

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 4:51 p.m.

As with first comment, the school in Rexburg will always be Ricks College to many of us.

One BYU is enough.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Add: The school in Laie will remain Church College of Hawaii instead of BYU-Hawaii.

Will naming schools BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Idaho, BYU-Star Valley water down the prestige of BYU in Provo?

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Oct. 20, 2011 9:02 a.m.

@byu rugby
    Looks like you got 1 person who agrees w/you, tens of thousands who don't. Not a bad ratio in any statistical paradigm. In the process you do nothing more than give BYU Rugby a bad name.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    June 15, 2012 4:42 p.m.

The numbers of L.D.S educators who've left their posts from other institution of higher learning for B.Y.U-Idaho is amazing. When Summers stood before faculties and staff at the Harvard business school, he simply said of Clark's decision to leave "I was not the president he listened to. President Hinckley had a vision and Clark answered the call. Changes in church business no matter what comes through revelation. When Aaron and his sister Miriam murmured against their brother Moses, the Lord chastened them. Saying, "Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches..". For Clark and those great educators who have passed through the portals of BYU-Idaho they sure know which president to listened to.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 15, 2012 6:27 p.m.

re: welcomethemall 12:32 a.m. Oct. 17, 2011

Empowered? Could you not find way to work in that other ridiculous buzzword - proactive?

Critical thinking skills at a religious institution? Really?

• CAAZFR MESA, AZ
    June 16, 2012 9:40 a.m.

When Nephi built the boat we learn that he did not built it according to the manner of men. Something more innovative was required. Same goes for BYU-I.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    June 16, 2012 2:00 p.m.

I am eternally grateful for my time at Ricks College. It was a special place for the student with a raw talent or gift but, not the requisite acedemic standing to get into a university. I was continually blessed by the faculty and staff. I owe much of my professional and spiritual success to that experience. That being said, BYU-I is not Ricks. BYU-I for all of it's proven success is gradually morphing into the kind of school I could have never gotten into. I understand the need to educate more of the Lord's Children but, where can kids like I was get a start? Not BYU-I.

Additionally, BYU-I is gradually turning it's back on Agriculture. Intelligence is nothing without a full stomach. This is evidenced by all of the prime agriculture ground used for teaching labs being torn out to put in buildings. The temple is beautiful but, the ground it is built on once attracted agricultural professionals from all over the world to study "dry land" agriculture. We can't hope to be successful training the lord's future leaders without feeding them first.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 17, 2012 6:27 a.m.

BYU and Ricks excel in one thing only. Micromanagement. They wrote the book on it. The other things, classes, books and goofing off are the same as any other college.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    June 18, 2012 8:05 a.m.

We have had several youth from our stake go to BYU-I and the end results have been a little disappointing. I do not think the youth understand the differences in what BYU-I does and that when done there you need to go someplace else. They have the idea that it is like going to BYU-Provo only in Idaho and the same big company recruiters will be there waiting for them. Hopefully this article will help but out here a thousand miles away not many will read it.

• hubbardesquire Alabaster, Alabama
    June 18, 2012 12:03 p.m.

This sounds great to me! I am very impressed that the Church's college campuses can offer such great educational experiences at private universities for less, or the same, as it costs to attend State-sponsored universities. This is unheard of among the private colleges and universities of this country. To me, this seems absolutely amazing! It is truly a testament to the LDS Church's commitment to provide a better life for as many people as possible through education.

• LazyAye PAYSON, UT
    June 18, 2012 1:29 p.m.

I remember being shocked at hearing that Kim Clarke would be leaving HBC to be president at BYU-Idaho. After now reading about the speech he gave to the 200 colleagues at HBC, I also wanted to applaud him for walking the walk, after talking the talk in encouraging his students to follow their hearts. Kudos to a man who has done a remarkable job.

And how can you not love Pres Hinckley?
    "Hal, would we be able to make education less expensive if we turned Ricks into a university?"
    "Not sure, let me do some research" . . .
    . . . (after research). . .
    "President Hinckley, it looks like it would be more expensive, not less."
    "No, it won't"

And thus, we move ahead with President Hinckley's prophetic vision.

• UNLV HENDERSON, NV
    June 21, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Too bad it's in Rexburg.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    June 21, 2012 9:30 p.m.

Still wish they had a football team!