High school football: Hurricane stays perfect, dismantles Desert Hills for Region 9 title

Comments

• red rocks Saint George, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 11:27 p.m.

Great game Hurricane. Hurricane has too many weapons to deal with.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 11:44 p.m.

I thought coming on to the field five min late and slowly struting on was a huge mistake as it only got Hurricane more fired up. Hurricane showed something with their passing tonight that all the fans have been waiting for. If Hurricane continues to pass to keep the opponents D from playing a 5-5, they will be hard to stop. The fake field goal was Boise-esque

• Southside SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 12:40 a.m.

Hey tiger fan it was senior night and so five minutes was added because d-hills didn't get a chance to go into the locker room based on the fact that they had twenty plus seniors to call through the line. There was no disrespect intended, like you and all your counterparts want to always add. Hurricane played great desert hills didn't end of story. Quit trying to make up nonsense. Hurricane is good and they dint need you making up stuff to make them seem better.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 2:17 a.m.

Desert Hills caught some huge breaks to win @ Dixie and @ PV when its starting QB had to sit out. They've been talking the talk for the last few weeks, but couldn't walk the walk. Hurricane is disciplined offensively and defensively and they just don't let up. Great focus. If they don't win it all this year coming out of Region Nine, it's never gonna happen.

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Oct. 14, 2011 5:26 a.m.

D hills has come out for the past 3 years walking onto the field at home and away. It wasn't to taunt - but rather how they enter the field every game. Tigers knew who to stop defensivy and were plainly better prepared.

• 4BS St George, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Not a Hurricane fan, but you can't deny how well they have played this year. The title is theirs to lose. The only concern i saw all year, was the Cedar game in which they were losing after three quarters. However, they rallied when they needed to. I don't see a lot of competition left in 3A, including Juan Diego.

• The Official Bingham Canyon, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 8:49 a.m.

@4bs

The season is not over with and your calling out JD with your comment... JD has 2 games remaining in league play and they are taking one game at a time.
    To say there is not a lot of compitition left in 3-A is both disrespectfull and short sighted. There are teams in other regions that take exception to your comment...
    Yet it does not surprise me that you tigers say that, you have been saying it leading up to their first loss in the finals game in '08...
    Good luck...

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 9:01 a.m.

@southside
    I guess that makes sense but no matter the reason I think I would change the walk to trot when the other team has been standing out there waiting for five minutes. You have to admit there is a message sent when you blare the music and slowly walk on to the field as they did. Don't get me wrong, we talk very highly of DH over here and feel the kids and the coaches are very respectful and that is why I felt they made a mistake.

• H-supporter Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Again, the team and coaches are looking to the next game everyone thinks they are all consumed with juan diego, when and if that match up happens they will worry about that one. You dont get to the state finals 3 years in a row consumed with that last game, you get there by playing week by week. I didnt find the way DH hills walked on the field offensive at all, I was a bit bugged our boys had to stand there ready for what seemed like 10 minutes, I understand senior night but every other school has had that and managed the clock to start on time, it was minor and the game went on. Hats off to DH players and coaches.

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 9:08 a.m.

@ all those who are fans of HHS

Last night's game was a good game between two good teams...so let's not make it worse by alleging nonsense. D-Hills is a solid program. As the article stated, they chose to focus on Scott (like any reasonable person would do).. Hurricane has many weapons as Yardley, Marshall, Thompson, and Parker showed. They simply got beat by a team with more weapons.

Remember, Region 9 is a good football region. Every team in our region has quality wins over other 3A or larger schools. Hurricane's key to success has been consistency. We have one more region game and then...the post season. No one can afford to have an off-game. The coaches and players know what their goal is...they are not popping off. As fans, we shouldn't be calling out teams either.

• hsportsfn St. George, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 9:31 a.m.

@ the Official I don't know what burr got under your saddle but if you note 4bs he clearly states that he is not a Hurricane fan. You might take note that NONE of the Hurricane players or coaches will call out another team or show disrespect towards others. Those who blog here have the right to express their personal feelings but do not speak for the coaches nor the team. I think too many here take things way to personal and serious. Watch the actions on the field not the words on blogs.

• DHfan SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I haven't heard the Thunder "talking the talk" at all this season. They've won every region game up until last night & were within a missed field goal of beating Syracuse. Good, bad, or ugly..a win is a win. Hurricane undoubtedly has a great team. We were banged up last night before the game losing our starting center/tackle & then our best safety/reciever very early in the game. They wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it may have been a closer game. The season isn't over yet for any team. We've got to beat Cedar to guarantee the 2nd seed.

• SailorSam Salt Lake, Utah
    Oct. 14, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Very well played game by both teams. No turnovers by either except on downs. Also very few penalties. Indications of 2 well coached, well prepared teams.

Also no personal fouls, no unsportsmanlike calls and really nothing but good sportsmanship from 2 class programs playing hard on the field.

Final observation: This game confirms my feeling since early in the season - Hurricane has the best Defense in 3A. Others may scoff, but i think the Hurricane D gets overlooked too easily. The attention is on the Tiger offense, averaging 40+ ppg. Also their defensive stats don't compare that well to some teams because Hurricane starters typically get subbed out early in the 2nd half due to a big lead.

As for DH, they are IMO clearly good enough to make it to RES. No dis to any other program, but I would not be at all surprised if these 2 teams play themselves into a rematch in the state title game. Lot of football still to be played, so we'll see what happens.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 10:17 a.m.

@whiteshoes
    You nailed it regarding Region 9. There are very few games you wouldn't want to go watch if you are a HS sports fan. When you look at the other regions in 3A you have a couple of top teams and a bunch of teams who don't compete. It's been said by a number of people but having three Reg 9 teams in the semis is not out of the question. I don't think JM, Delta and Stansbury have the muscle to keep up with #2 And #3 Region 9 teams. Hurricane is obviously loaded this year but DH, Cedar and Dixie are going to cause a lot of waves in the playoffs this year. Go Region 9!!

• Won't work Delta, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 10:52 a.m.

@tigerfan Evry year someone says Delta can't compete because they are to small. Last year people did not theink Delta could make it to RES and they would lose to DH in the quarters and look what happen. DH was twice as big and still got beat up and down the field. Hurricane was a much better team than Delta in the semis last year, but I fully beilive Delta can hang with the region 9 # 2 or 3. Nobody thought Delta could beat Spanish Fork either this year and look what happen there!

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 11:28 a.m.

@won't work
    I do love Delta and know they always finish strong. The SF win was great but does that say Delta is that good or SF was a little overated? Delta's other wins have not been all that dominating and they lost to a 2A school. But you are right, last year I thought DH would beat Delta and Delta proved me wrong. I hope Delta does go to the finals though it's awesome to see one of the smallest 3A school's do so well. Good Luck!

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@whiteshoes@tigerfan,
    Region9 needs to keep all the back patting to a minimum,Hurricane being undefeated means nothing,ask Pine View who went into the championship game undefeated a couple of years ago and got blown out,always lots of hype for a Hurricane or a Pine View only to be let down time after time,Until one of the Region 9 teams goes up and wins a state championship I suggest they keep a real low profile.Good luck to the Region 9 schools.

• sher khan La Verkin, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 12:50 p.m.

@won't work, this tiger fan does think Delta would beat DH this year if they were to play as I thought they would last year contrary to most.

• SportsFan101 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Region 9 in 3a kinda seems like region 6 in 4a. You could be beat on any given night so you better bring your A game. Definitely makes going to Hs games more fun! I'm happy for the competition you have had down there this year. Good luck to all of you in the south!

• Won't work Delta, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 2:10 p.m.

The Stansbury win Delta had was a good one and that is there only loss this year. Spanish beat Judge really bad early in the year and judge will finish 2nd to JD in that region. I can't explain the Manti loss. They just flat out beat Delta in week 1. I would love to see Delta in the Finals also but to clarify your statemant they are not one of the smallest schools in 3A they are the smallest by about 100 kids. Which does not seem like a lot to the bigger 3A schools that have 1000+ but when you only have just over 400 it makes a difference.
    Go Rabbits

• Sounds right.. Delta, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 2:35 p.m.

I forgot to mention since this is a story about hurricane. I feel they are the best team in 3A. If Delta did not win the state championship I would not mind seeing Hurricane win it.

• Tiger_Souljah H-Town, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 5:29 p.m.

Last night Hurricane showed they are a complete team. They showed they're not afraid to pass and that should worry other 3A D-Coordinators. D-Hills stacked the box worried about the run, and Hurricane aired it out to keep them honest. And when you can do that, run AND pass effectively, you're a tough match-up for any team. That was the first game I've seen where they were effective on all phases of the game. Offense moved the ball at will, Defense was stellar and besides the special team lapse giving up a big return, Special teams played well too.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 6:47 p.m.

@Whiteshoes:

"...Remember, Region 9 is a good football region. Every team in our region has quality wins over other 3A or larger schools...".

Thank you for your generous praise.

Snow Canyon has wins over N. Sanpete and Canyon View.

I'm sure N. Sanpete and Canyon View will enjoy knowing they are now considered "quality wins" for the Warriors.

Snow Canyon did have some close losses, but as they say, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

• D-Hills st. george, ut
    Oct. 14, 2011 7:37 p.m.

From a d hills fan- thank you tigers for the nice words and sportsmanship. That was a clean game and a lot of our seniors root for your boys when were not playing you. Good luck in the playoffs. Great coaches on both sides.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 11:45 p.m.

I also think we need to tone down the talk about R9 being the 3A gauntlet until one of them takes state. I'm a Dixie grad so I would love to see it and have pulled for Hurricane the past few years, but realistically does anyone know the last R9 team to take 3A? The most recent I can remember is Dixie in 1998 (and that was over Cedar, so SOMEONE from R9 had to win that). Since then, I think PV went 3 years straight and got blown out every time, SC was blown out and Hurricane has been edged out the last 3 years.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:23 a.m.

I know this cant explain the blow out losses, but I cant help pointing it out... All these championship games are in slc. The last two times the 3A state bball tourney was in st george, it was two st george teams playing for the championship and in football, the northern schools get that advantage every year..

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 11:49 a.m.

@dhsalu.
    It does give the advantage to Northern teams for sure but coming to St. George would be hard for the Logan and Eastern schools. Maybe they should consider taking turns in No and So Utah. So Utah would help the passing teams on those really cold days.
    @StGtoSLC
    We may be talking a little too much trash on here but you have to admit everyone but CV would be going to the State Tourney in any other region (and CV would be close)

• Tiger_Souljah H-Town, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:19 p.m.

@StGtoSLC

I totally agree. Region 9 IS arguably the Best region in the State as far as quality teams, however, until someone down here can win the 'ship, the title still goes thru JD. We may have the best region in the State, but have no titles in the last decade to justify that argument.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 12:23 p.m.

If Cedar beats DH next week and there is a 3 way tie for second, there will be no head to head as Dixie beat Cedar, Cedar beat DH and DH beat Dixie. Will they go to the funky two teams play first half, winner plays second half against third team?

• hsportsfn St. George, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 2:01 p.m.

The title does go through JD and their "easy" first round game will be Cedar, Dixie or Desert Hills. That will be the toughest first round game on the schedule. I don't think that JD is anxious to play anyone of those three in the first round. Best wishes to all Region 9 teams as we head into the playoffs.

• LAsorda Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 4:11 p.m.

@tiger fan
    If Dixie, Cedar, and D-Hills finish in. 3-way tie....a coin flip decides seeding as all three qualify.

• SailorSam Salt Lake, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2011 4:17 p.m.

@tigerfan

The way I heard it the UHSAA only uses the 3 way play-in game when the tied teams have not yet earned a playoff slot. For example, a 3-way tie for third place or fourth.

If Cedar beats DH, the 3 teams tied for second would all have playoff spots locked up. It would be only the seeds still to be determined. In that situation my understanding is that coin flips would would pick seeds 2 thru 4. The lucky team would get #2 seed and a home playoff game. The unluckiest team would get #4 seed and hit the road to play JD.

• KPED Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 4:46 p.m.

@SailorSam
    If a playoff berth is on the line...teams will playoff .

However, there is no berth on the line ...only seeding. All three teams have berths. Coin flip will decide seeding

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:09 p.m.

@hsportsfan,

JD is anxious to play anyone,Cedar,DH,Dixies,Hurricane it doesnt matter.The way you say it,is like they are supposed to be scared of the teams from down south? JD will play the next team, one team at a time.They have done it for the past 3 yrs(3 Peat)why would they stop now? so yeah go ahead and send your as you call it "easy" first round teams to JD,its not going to be as easy for them as everyone thinks...

JD EAGLE..

• hsportsfn St. George, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 6:31 p.m.

@mykaljordan
    Relax and don't be so sensitive and understand what I said. First round games for a number one seed are usually "easy" for the number one seed. That game will be a great game to watch as it will not be a walkover. I have no disrespect for JD and I am sure they are not "scared" of teams down south, just saying they have the toughest game to play in the first round. In reality it will be a 1 vs 2 game not a 1 vs 4. Note that I also said the title goes through JD. It will most likely be the toughest game JD has played since Skyline, and I for one am anxious to see the game.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Oct. 15, 2011 8:17 p.m.

@hsportsfan,

let me be the first one to say,Sorry for misunderstanding your earlier post,I have nothing but the utmost respect for all the football programs down south.I will be the first to say that Hurricane this year from this point IMO is the team to beat.But JD is still the reigning champs.Their have been previous post from bloggers(not you) that think JDs program has gotten weak because of the region they have been assigned to.I know that if Cedar is the first round game,it is going to be a tough one for both teams.I hear nothing but great things about their QB.Anything can happen in HS football,thats what makes the game so interesting..Im also looking forward to watch the playoffs and see where things go..!! GOOD LUCK..

JD EAGLE..

• red rocks Saint George, UT
    Oct. 15, 2011 10:22 p.m.

I was able to watch the East v.s. Highland game this weekend. I know that both teams have injured players out right now. With that being said I don't think either one of these teams could stay with Hurricane. They are to solid on both sides of the ball. I believe that this is the year for Hurricane. Hurricane could beat several of the elite teams in 4-A and would surprise some 5-A teams.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 12:13 a.m.

@redrocks

I agree that Hurricane is the class of 3A, but suggesting Highland and East couldn't stay with Hurricane just doesn't compute. Highland destroyed Cedar, a team Hurricane struggled with. East has a big athletic front seven that would be a matchup problem for Hurricane and both East and Highland use an option run game, so Hurricane's wing t wouldn't be much of a preparation issue. Hurricane is very good, but not that good. In any event it's a matchup we're not going to see unfortunately.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 9:58 a.m.

@fender
    The other game you can look at is West Jordan. Hurricane rolled over WJ but much of that was because WJ kept snapping the ball over the QB's head. It prob would have been a closer game if not for that. Alta destroyed WJ. I would say that Hurricane would be competative with some of those schools and think they would make it to the semi-finals in 4A but not 5A. I would love to see them try though. I feel this is the best team Hurricane has ever had top to bottom.

• Southside SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 11:07 a.m.

I think Hurricane could compete with Oklahoma for a national championship! That good!

• Ligers Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 5:48 p.m.

Cedar, Hurricane, JD, DH, Delta and SF are the teams for 3A. That is who will be at the turf. We will find out who the unlucky 2 will be that will not be going.

• SoUtahFriend Saint George, Utah
    Oct. 16, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Great win for Hurricane. All they had to do to win is do what they always do. They did and they won.

DHill has some things to learn. They are getting there and I hope they can get ready for playoffs no matter what happens this week.

OC has learn to stay with what works. Their main RB gets 8 carries and two receptions. That's not the kids.
    When playing big games ,you need to play your big players. Too often your college prosects are on the sideline. Sidelines are not the place for them. There has to be balance, but playing your big players a little with a mix of other 'varsity' kids is a recipe for disaster. You think your lesser kids are going to Corral the kid (Ursua) from cedar with lesser players- you're crazy.
    Kids weren't ready to play on Thursday either, plus injuries.
    If you want to win big games, you need to play your best players more often. Use plays that work. Hard to lose #1 however, you never threw to him except 3-5 times per game. Use your best players on offense and especially on defense.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 16, 2011 10:09 p.m.

@tigerfan

You may well be right that this is Hurricane's best team, and I don't think it's because they have the most athletic talent in the region. Top to bottom Pine View has more athletes in my opinion, as does Desert Hills, but those teams defensively lack Hurricane's discipline and focus. Hurricane has a simple system offensively and defensively and their kids know it cold and believe in it. They continue to execute and make plays deep in a game when it's on the line. That's why I predict they'll win it all this year.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Cedar will win it all this year.

• Ligers Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Hurricane's system is before high school they run the same offense way down into the little league. So these kids know the plays from birth. And they are very disciplined and have one game focus. It is up the coaches to do there part when they got all pieces to win it each year. It will be fun come turf time to see who is there. Good luck to all teams.

• tigerfan HURRICANE, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 3:20 p.m.

@fender
    I agree with you that these kids are disciplined and though they might not have as many "athletes" as PV and DH they push each other and are not afraid of the weight room.
    @Jo Momma
    I was big on Cedar until the Dixie game. I'm excited to see how they do against DH. I think that game will answer a lot of questions for everyone. I'll prob skip the Hurr vs CV and go to the Cedar vs DH game.

• SirTipsALot65 Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 6:57 p.m.

tiger fan

so you are not a true tiger fan

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 18, 2011 10:51 a.m.

@Jo Momma

I realize you make that comment just to stir the pot, but it will never happen. Cedar rides one player, Ursua, and in fact he is probably a Division one quality athlete. That said, once you have seen his game and your backers play solid gap control, you shut him down. He's not going to beat you with his arm. In the playoffs Cedar will have to play Region Nine teams like Hurricane who have seen what he does, and they will stop him.

• xyloguy SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 20, 2011 12:08 a.m.

All I can say is I am impressed Parker! I really didn't think Hurricane could pull off the passing game! I guess you guys proved me wrong! Great game guys!

I also agree, I think it is bull that the state championship is in SLC every year. I think they should bring them to Cedar every few years. Only seems fair (although cedar can be colder at that time of year than SLC... lol)