Utah football: Quarterback Jon Hays is primed to make his first start for Utes

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:43 a.m.

"Primed"?

LOL

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:50 a.m.

I was impressed with Hays at the end of the game. We all saw improvement as the half wore on. The huskies still has their first team on the field, so his improvement during the game was even more impressive.
    Expect a rough start next game but the last 3 quarters should see some good offense. Not quite what Wynn could give us, but still a good chance of winning.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:02 a.m.

I don't think this is as bad as some seem to think. I am betting the U will be competitive in most of their remaining games. I don't think that the next two are likely to be wins but they should compete in the last 6.

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:04 a.m.

TV: root

What in the world is that? Some station only found on satellite?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:13 a.m.

It's a good thing he took so many reps during traing. Now hopefully it will pay off...

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:17 a.m.

17 career pass attempts at Utah is not enough for this young man to have a realistic chance v ASU. Look for Vontaze to have a huge game.

(fear the fork)

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 9:36 a.m.

i really want to like jon hayes and now we'll see how he does in a full game. he's a lot more athletic than wynn is and because his shoulder isn't limited he doesn't have to roll out a lot and obviously his ball will have a little more zip on it.

you can't deny that wynn looked pretty good before he went out (that one bone headed interception excluded), but hopefully hayes can keep the seat warm for him.

i seem to remember some dude named brett ratliff that got thrown into the fire against byu after brian johnson went down. we all remember how he finished out utah's last two games.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:54 a.m.

I had hoped that our two weaknesses would not be exposed at least not this early in the season. What were they? Depth at QB and on the O-Line. I feel bad for Wynn. He was playing very well in the first half.

With that being said, I was impressed with Hays as he improved as the second half wore on. The guy is a gamer! This situation seems to be a galvanizing event for the Utes. Will that result in wins? Only time will tell.

I will continue enjoying the season as the Utes work out the kinks. It is awesome to have the schedule Utah has.

Go Utes!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Here's hoping there's a little Brett Ratliff in Jon Hays. If he can take care of the ball, make good decisions, stay poised and not make mistakes, we should be fine. I'm not guaranteeing wins, because the next two games could have been losses even with Wynn playing. I just want to see us be competitive and move in a positive direction after Saturday's dissappointment.

• Juggy SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 12:42 p.m.

I'm, surprisingly, not too worried about Hays. He seems to have great tenacity and poise with a live arm. I'd be surprised if he didn't play well. Seems to have an it factor and the team also seems eager to follow him.

The O-line needs to step-up in a big way with run blocking and cleaning up penalties. They have been disappointing so far.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:08 p.m.

@ defibman | 5:43 a.m. Oct. 4, 2011
    Syracuse, Ut

.....oh the agony of the troll.

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:09 p.m.

I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Jon Hays and live arm do not belong in the same sentence. And his accuracy is another issue, altogether. He was missing throws right and left and does not look like a D1 QB (and shouldn't be).

He has 2 attributes that are improvements over Wynn: heart and toughness.

Prepare for a looooong rest of the season. If they win one of the next three I will be content. Obviously if they win more than one of the next three I will be thrilled. However, if they lose all 3 it is time to sound the alarm. I've already got my hand on the alarm lever......

I can hardly believe that a coach as talented as Whittingham could be so CARELESS with QB position depth. Moving people to other positions. Missing on key recruits. You never think that the injury bug will bite, but it happens and there should have been a plan in place if/when it did. I can hardly believe that there is such a poor contigency plan in place in such a critical season, especially given Wynn's prior injury history.

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:24 p.m.

defib = soccer mom

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:30 p.m.

"TV: root What in the world is that? Some station only found on satellite?"

Mr. Caveman:

As you've been in that cave, you missed the re-branding of Fox Sports Net on cable and satellite in approximately 18 states.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 1:33 p.m.

wwookie is right. He improved as the game wore on. Coming out of the half and being told you're starting and playin the rest of the game unexpectedly is tough enough, he hasn't had a whole lot of experience passing. Now, after seeing a bit of potential and a week of practice, as well as a Jedi Master Chow offense adjustment to suit his ability, I think we have a better chance than most think. ASU chokes on the road, so I thnk it's near even going into the game.

Like it or not, Hays is our guy now. Ute fans need to stick behind him and cheer him on.

GO UTES!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:29 p.m.

I thought Hays did a pretty good job being thrown into that game on Saturday. He only joined the team this summer. He did have a little bit of time with the first team when Wynn was sick but overall, he has done most of his work with the second team.

His arm stregnth looked to be a bit better than Jordan so hopefully he can gel with the first team.

It will be difficult against ASU they are really good team, perhaps the best we have played so far.

The key to this game will be if our defense can play all four quarters. They didn't play to their potential in the second half last week.

Go Utes!

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:56 p.m.

Utah fans have really been drinking the red koolaid if they think

-- a DII transfer
    -- starting his first game
    -- whose only offer was to a school that abandoned football
    -- who looked terrible in spring and fall practice

isn't going to be completely overwhelmed by ASU's blitzing defense.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:58 p.m.

I think that given that the Utes game plan was centered around Jordan's strengths, Hayes came in and did a pretty good job. We could have done without those turnovers, but when you think about it, we did a pretty good job (better in the first half) of moving the ball on Washington. I trust Whitt and Chow to make sure those redzone turnovers turn into touchdowns this week.

• Utesby3 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I can't believe how many Ute fans are ready to give up for the season. So we are not going to be playing for a conference championship this year. Not all is lost. We can still have a good season ... it is too early to tell. Hays made some mistakes on Saturday, but so did Wynn. In fact, Wynn's interception was a much worse throw than Hays'. Hays was not expecting to play on Saturday so he was a little unprepared and nervous on top of his inexperience. Plus he was running an offense taylored to Wynn's strengths. This week, he is expecting to play so he will be more prepared, hopefully less nervous, and he will have an offense more taylored to his strengths. Let's hope for the best. Maybe he will surprise us.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 4:00 p.m.

This could be a huge advantage for us. ASU has little to no film on Hays and the coaching staff will have to change some things around. Defensively, I think ASU may have a tough time preparing for this. At least that's what I hope. Good luck Hays, beside the two turnovers on Saturday, I liked what I saw in you. Time to shine buddy! Go Utes!

• dwil7474 CLEARFIELD, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:04 p.m.

utah is about to get a rude awakening by asu this weekend. brock oswieler is a way better quarterback then jordin wynn and his d2 transfer backup. asu's running back cameron marshall is the most underrated running back in the pac 12 and then you throw jamal miles and kyle middlebrooks in the mix??? yeah way more talent between those three than the entire utah offense. then you got the recievers. aaron pflugrad, gerrel robinson,and mike willie, come on the only reciever that utah has that is close to being as good as them is christopher. and on defense....wow utah's offense is about to get destroyed. asu's linebacking corps is the best in the pac 12. vontaze burfict is by far the best and most intimidating linebacker in the country and their d line are all beast(watch out for jammar jarret). and asu has about 12 starters that are out for the season so that says alot about the talent they have. asu's backup qb is a senior that is alot better than people give him credit for and then there is a qb prodigy true freshman mike bercovici. utah's back up qb is jon hays....

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:11 p.m.

@54-10 | 1:08 p.m. Oct. 4, 2011

".....oh the agony of the troll."

The pot calling the kettle black.

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:17 p.m.

Wallbanger,

What film does ASU need? Hays is, at best, D2 talent. If the Utah coaching staff hadn't made critical recruiting MISTAKES Hays would not even be playing football this year.

If you are referring to his mobility ASU has faced speedier, much quicker talent than Hays (see Darren Thomas and the Illinois QB). If you are referring to Hays' arm strength ASU has faced the likes of Barkley and Luck. They are aware that he is more mobile than Wynn. That won't catch them off guard plus they have one of the quicker defenses in the conference.

I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think it's gonna be pretty. Just sayin'. Utah is going to have to have some MONSTROUS plays from other players on the team. Hays doesn't have even a particle of the talent he'd need to single-handedly beat other teams in the conference (some of the other teams have guys like that - Polk, Luck, Woods, James, etc.).

And, unlike, Washington they are not going to let up once they build a lead as Utah is going after some of the same recruits.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:44 p.m.

I am a troll and the U pounded them Cougs.

Thanks defibman/bigsoccer/utehaterforlife.

• Duckhunter Hunter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:55 p.m.

dwil -

I've watched every Utah game and every ASU game and I think Utah will lose, especially with Hays running the show. Utah had a chance if Wynn would have been healthy, but he's not and the Utah coaching staff has no suitable contigency plan.

That being said, you make ASU sound like they should be playing in the NFL. Marshall, Miles, and Middlebrooks all disappear at times. Dres Anderson and DeVonte Christopher are as good as ASU's WRs. They just don't have someone that can deliver them the ball right now.

ASU's LBs are the best in the conference? That would have been true had Magee not gotten hurt, but it's debatable without Magee. The ASU d-line is good, not great. Having Onyeali hurt is a huge loss. Sutton is getting better, but has some growing to do. And ASU is not as strong as it would have been had Bolden not gotten hurt. I see the ASU secondary as a weakness at this point.

Yes, ASU has a lot of injuries, but ASU will be out for blood.

ASU 44 Utah 13

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:32 p.m.

Jon Hays is definitely in a challenging position. Yet, in the 2nd half of the Washington game he showed that, given the opportunity, he can make good things happen. Remember, he was thrown into the game having had no reps with the 1st team in any of the practices prior to the Washington game. If the team, coaching staff, and fans can all rally behind him, I think he'll do fine.

Go Utes!!

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 1:26 a.m.

Marked it Down | 2:56 p.m. Oct. 4, 2011
    Park City, UT
    Utah fans have really been drinking the red koolaid if they think

-- a DII transfer
    -- starting his first game
    -- whose only offer was to a school that abandoned football
    -- who looked terrible in spring and fall practice

isn't going to be completely overwhelmed by ASU's blitzing defense.

--------------

So I wonder why the Utes are even playing this game. Since it's already in the bag, according to you.

Doesn't Whittingham and all the fans know that no backup QB in the history of NCAA football has ever won a single game... or amounted to anything... or advanced to the NFL?

Come on Coach Whitt, and my fellow Ute fans... just concede already, since there is absolutely zero chance that Utah can win this game.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 1:40 a.m.

Utesby3 | 3:10 p.m. Oct. 4, 2011
    Sandy, UT

----------------

I'll up the ante by saying that Utah can still contend for the Pac 12 this year:

1) We don't know anything about Jon Hays. Just like we didn't know anything about Bret Ratliff, or Terrance Cain, or Brian Johnson. There's a chance Hays may be able to produce a lot more than we think.

3) ASU seems over-hyped. They're a pretty good team. But when teams believe too much into their own hype, they often overlook opponents. As ASU sees it, Utah just got creamed at home and lost their starting QB.

I think Hays is good enough to at least put up some points. And after that, let our above average defense keep the lead intact.

• GoodLifeFB SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 5, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Tomahawk Red:

"2) We're only missing Wynn. Some seem to forget that everyone else on the team is healthy. If the other players can produce with Wynn, my guess is that they can produce without him."

Give me a break. Did Utah lose because Wynn went down? Yes it was a factor. But remember, Wynn wasn't responsible for both turnovers inside the red zone. Wynn was not on the D line getting blasted. Wynn wasn't blocking on the O line that only allowed 17 net rushing yards. This was a TEAM loss. Washington exposed some major weaknesses. Props to the coaches if they can get them fixed this week. I hope. I hope. I hope. All I'm saying is missing Wynn isn't all that went wrong...

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:58 a.m.

As K-Whit said, the most important stat besides the final score is turnovers - 5 turnovers doomed any chance Utah had of beating Washington and two of those turnovers were coughed up by Hays in only two quarters of play.