Faith

LDS general conference opens with the announcement of six new Mormon temples

Comments

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Wonderful news about converting the Provo Tabernacle into a temple. Also delighted to hear the news about Wyoming's first temple in Star Valley.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:33 a.m.

Wow. My friends of Kenya are going to scratch their heads again.
    Still exciting though.

• kiaoraguy Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I still have tears in my eyes- and I know that those who have proceeded us, in who the Tabernacle was a special place, are rejoicing as well

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:42 a.m.

And the work of the Lord continues...

• A_Zion_State_O'Mind FAIR OAKS, CA
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Tears filled my eyes when the Provo Tabernacle burned & again with the announcement this morning. While a student at The Y in 1972 we would take walks down center street with our 2 year little girl to the Tabernacle.

• Thunder Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:45 a.m.

The city name is Bogotá, not Bogata.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:51 a.m.

I am sooo excited about all of these announced temples, but I am most excited to see the ones going up in Africa. What a great day for our brothers and sisters in the African nations, and what great love the Lord has for these saints.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:03 p.m.

As a Provo native and one who has roots for generations in Provo, I was broken hearted when our Tabernacle burned. I couldn't even stand to go past it for quite a while. I have prayed that it would be saved. I am so thrilled that it will not only be saved, but turned into a new Temple. GLORY HALLELUJEH!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:09 p.m.

I had heard that architectural planning and engineering was going forth for the Provo Tabernacle. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine this!

• LeAnn Saint George, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Wonderful News about the Tabernacle, always loved that building and the special feeling it gave me every time I saw it. I cried when it burned and felt so sad at the loss, like the loss of an old friend. But today, I got chills and rejoiced out loud as all did in the conference center and around the world. What a blessing that will be to the saints that will come from all over to do the work of the Lord. I was almost more excited about that announcement than all the rest and I've been wondering when there would be one in Paris, so that is also SOOOOO exciting!

• musiqmike Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:22 p.m.

Very excited about the temple announcements! My Dad's family were born and raised in the Star Valley area. Kind of ironic that so much is going on so close to our old home, now that we're living in Germany: first with the Brigham City temple and now the Star Valley one!

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 1, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Provo's loss of a community center in the Provo Tabernacle is now known to be a permanent change. But even the non-LDS residents of Provo now know that they will be able to enjoy the tabernacle as a permanent landmark, restored to its pre-1917 appearance. And its presence will transform the Center Street area.

I thought it funny that the mention of the plans for a temple in Paris--which was announced a while ago--drew a collective gasp.

• Not a hater LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:03 p.m.

I wonder if President Monson had stopped off at a hospital or a nursing home to give a blessing or some form of ministry. He is amazing! He has always lived in a way that says people are more important than meetings. The Paris Temple had only been announced in the media and by media in France. It had not been announced yet in general conference yet, so I fully expected it and still gasped and then cried. Think how many generations of French saints have been waiting for a temple within their own borders. It makes me smile and my step lighter.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:21 p.m.

This has come to be one of my favorite parts about conference -- the Prophet announcing more temples to be built. Its getting to the point where such announcements are made at each and every opening session of conference.

I too was thrilled about the Provo Tabernacle announcement. I was born in Provo and remember fondly attending stake conferences there as a small boy. My father always let us sit in the balcony (being upstairs is always a strong draw for small kids). And what a bonus, it looks like they'll restore the center lantern which was on the building in the early 1900's, but had to be removed.

As a family, we committed ourselves to donating what we could to the Temple Patron fund. What a wonderful thing.

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Actually, the Church itself, not just the French media, had announced its intention to build a temple in France. Go to the LDS Newsroom site and search for "Church Statement on Temple in France," from July 15 of this year. That is why Pr. Monson stated it not as an announcement, but merely as a recognition that the Church continues with its efforts on that front.

The announcement of a temple in Kinshasha shows the Church's dedication to bringing the gospel to the whole world, regardless of the cost. The LDS Church is growing quickly in Africa, but the DRC is no easy place to put a temple. GDP per capita is $328, and crime is rampant. It's hard to get materials and workmanship up to temple standards in places like that, and often the Church must build supporting infrastructure and provide 24-hour security. All of that was necessary in Aba, Nigeria, and even still the temple had to be closed for over a year due to fears of violence, kidnappings, and other crime.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Rebuilding the Provo Tabernacle as a temple will certainly be a huge undertaking. Those walls will have to be reenforced seismically and a basement level will have to be dug out and created with a seismically reenforced foundation.

The original tabernacle design with that central tower was so ahead of its time that it could not be built with the existing technology of the 1880s and 1890s, hence why the tower had to be removed back in 1917. I am glad that steel trusses and reenforcement will make the central tower possible again.

Despite what the rendering show, I suspect that 100 South will be removed south of the new temple. Security reasons for a start. Provo's post office at 100 s - 100 W is now so out of date and so small for the size of the community that I also suspect that the church will buy the property and that a more modern bigger post office will relocate somewhere else in downtown Provo.

• Shon27 AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:39 p.m.

The illustration of the tabernacle temple looks beautiful--then I realized that the Nu-Skin building is not in the background. The architectural style of the Nu-Skin building is a dark spot in downtown Provo and should have never been approved. With a temple nearby it is even more obvious of a mistake.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:51 p.m.

The biggest cheer was for the Star Valley temple-----must be a lot of Wyoming people in conference today.

• Global Warner Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Pres. Monson's announcement in general conference that our old historic Provo pioneer tabernacle will become a second temple in our fair city is wonderful news. Kaye and my ancestors who helped make the bricks and cut the timber for its construction over a century ago must be rejoicing in heaven that they were actually building a holy temple to their God. The converted tabernacle that becomes a holy temple will bless many in our community and visitors from around the world.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Esthetically the (interior) ceiling was a problem for years and really had kind of ruined the Tabernacle in my opinion. Certainly the plain, flat ceiling was not the original and frankly it, along with the non-incandescent, recessed lighting it contained, was grossly anachronistic and out of character for the building. Plus the rest of the interior could never have been truly restored.

The Tabernacle served an honorable mission. Now, the wholesale, adaptive reuse of the entire interior, preservation of the exterior and restoration of the original roof line, is a great idea. Also a great example of how a good or perhaps even better thing can come of a pile of ashes.

Now, it would be great if a new, multi-stake meeting center and/or nice concert hall, with a new, concert pipe organ, could also be built to replace that functionality of the old Tabernacle, which served the community and BYU music department for years.

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Almost as soon as I read that the tabernacle had burned down, I knew they would work on replacing it as a temple. It didn't make sense to me that they would rebuild a tabernacle, since they are less useful in today's times. The Provo temple is very busy and this will be a nice addition to allow the people of Provo more temple opportunities and a better use of the land and Church resources.

It also follows the model of the Church using temples as a means of helping cities revitalize their urban areas.

• InspectorC Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 3:15 p.m.

A handful of you have made comments (here) to the effect that the old shell of the tabernacle will be "re-used", or saved, in constructing the new temple.

What gave you that impression? Or where did you get that information? I wonder if you're jumping the gun and falsely presuming that they will keep the old. That was never announced that way.

I would just presume they'll demolish the old tabernacle ruins, and start from scratch. But perhaps you know something that I don't??

• InspectorC Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 3:31 p.m.

I wonder what they will _NAME_ the new temple in Provo??! (since "Provo Utah Temple" is already taken).

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the Church provided a way for members to submit "suggested names" for the new temple? (Hint, Hint for the Temples Department at Church HQ! Are you listening?)

That would be a VERY COOL thing for the Church to do --allowing the members to have some "input" on the naming of the new, second temple in Provo!

How about "The Provo Pioneer Temple"?! (copyright pending ;^)

OTHER SUGGESTED NAMES??

• jdd WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 3:57 p.m.

While it's great news that they're keeping the Provo Tabernacle building, rather than gutting it, I'm very puzzled about building such a small temple in Provo to relieve the demand on the busy Provo Temple. Isn't this a bit like building a 7/11 convenience store to relieve the demand at a busy Super WalMart?

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Oct. 1, 2011 4:25 p.m.

With out a douby its the one to be Built in the Congo that excites and amazes me.

The other two and the one in South Amers yes but not so much. But the Congo thats Special, if you don't think so Read the History and do the Math.

I got rid of my Dish, first time I have seen conference on Computer in real time. Worked out well. Computer Down Stairs and Upstairs and my Daughters Lap Top. I heard the TV Speakers so they hooked the Computer into the TV. 10 years ago I had to drive to the Stake Center, because the local Cable Company was blocking BET to show conference and the Militery blocked it out so the people could watch BET and rightly so. The next time around they showed it on one of the public stations. Far better for every one concerned. We can still not get it on the the Radio in Hawaii. If I get my 10 Watter thats the first thing I am going to do is get Conference on Radio. I want a Ten Watter so I can be a Talk Show Host and Play Modern Jazz and Country.

• LookingatUtah Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 1, 2011 4:43 p.m.

For: JDD, I can see your point about not having a large amount of square footage. I would expect that construction plans could include support service space, such as offices, training space, storage and utilities in added underground space such as what is south of the tabernacle and a few other areas around Temple Square.

• Living Below the Y Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 4:51 p.m.

jdd: It may be small, but it's not the only temple being built within the current Provo Utah Temple district to relieve its pressure (think the groundbreaking in Payson next week for the temple being built there.) And having a temple within EASY walking distance (I lived 1.25 miles from the Tabernacle until last month, and about 3 miles from the Provo temple. Now I live where I'll eventually be in Payson's temple district.) for the 'pioneer neighborhoods' (Joaquin/Maeser/etc.) would be very nice.

InspectorC: That would be a great name. Another one (I wish it was as good) would be the Provo Peak Utah Temple (I know it's not on the peak... but hey, the peak is still visible from there.)

• ? SLC, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I think it was also good to hear about the creation of a fund to help those seeking to go to the temple who live in an area where there isn't a temple and for whom it is very difficult to get to one. I don't know the reason for why some areas are blessed to have a temple versus another, but am grateful to know that a means is being provided to help all be to make and receive the blessings of the temple no matter where they live.

• ChrisNSuz Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 6:31 p.m.

Nice to se civil discussion on this story here. It's getting so I can't even read the Trib anyomore. As a Liberal, I used to really like that newspaper, but some people just don't know how to act like adults.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Oct. 1, 2011 6:37 p.m.

Im always so excited to find out where the temples are going to be when conference comes around. Before the temple in Omaha was completed we either had to go to Denver or Chicago which in itself is about a 500 mile trip one way. Now that we have the temple in Omaha it sure is alot closer and we are able to go when circumstances and money permit. How I love going to the temple and feel it a great blessing to have one closer than having to go clear to Chicago or Denver. It sure is a blessing to get ones built closer.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 7:07 p.m.

i loved this conference. How spiritually upifting and inspiring it was. President Monson was so charming and portrayed his sweet spirit through his speaking. When he announced the Provo tabernacle will be a new temple, I was reminded of the beautiful fire-bird, the Phoenix rising out of its own ashes, and soar toward the heavens. It was so good to hear that historic building will be given a chance to shelter the most sacred works and ordinances of the Church within its walls. I was so thrilled to hear President Monson annoounce all the other temples being built, especially the one in Wyoming. It's so good to know that the Church is growing and the work of the Lord is going forth.

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:02 p.m.

InspectorC: The LDS Newsroom website makes it clear the temple won't be an entirely new construction. It says, "The project will include a complete restoration of the original exterior."

The Copenhagen Denmark Temple is another example of a historic building that was remodeled into a temple, and in that case, they built an underground addition to the side of the existing structure that connected into the basement in order to provide enough space.

It also remains to be seen what will happen to the old smokestack of the former heating plant. It features decorative brickwork and has some historic value. I assume it will have to go.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:08 p.m.

There are at least 5 stakes just in Kinshasa, and another stake right across the river in Brazzaville. There are 3 other stakes in The Democratic Republic of the Congo. There are no temples anywhere close to htere.

It is true that Kenya is very far from a temple, but there is only one stake in Kenya, so building a temple there is not likely anytime super soon. I guess Manitoba has one stake and a temple on the way. It is possible, but not likely.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:19 p.m.

InspectorC: According to the picture released it is to be build using the oringinal plans.

Chachi: I think they will stay real close to the original building

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:37 p.m.

Sometimes it is better to demolish old, inadequate buildings. (Think old Salt Palace Arena vs the modern Delta Center.)

We were married in the Logan Temple and are un-impressed with the renovated Logan Temple.

Wouldn't it be less expensive to completely demolish the unsafe shell of the Provo Tabernacle and build a new, modern SAFE building? If desired, couldn't the architects design a completely new temple that closely resembles the former Provo Tabernacle?

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:38 p.m.

As a Young boy living in Star Valley over 60 years ago I heard stories that it had been said by someone long before that there would be a temple in that area.Great news of that now happening to my chidhood home and the home of my Grand parents who passed away before I was born but were early settlers of that beautiful valley.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:44 p.m.

I would not be surprised if after the Provo Tabernacle Temple is completed, that they shut Provo down for a while and do the changes there that they are doing in Ogden. I am really happy to hear about a 2nd temple in Provo, way to go.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 9:55 p.m.

For all you speculators concerning the design, just look at Nauvoo (identical on the exterior---built from scratch) and Vernal (actually preserved the existing exterior walls) to see what was done. The Provo Tabernacle has no shell remaining to use; that is why the brick walls are all braced to keep them from collapsing. The old pioneer engineering did have buildings with center spires---Coalville Tabernacle, Assembly Hall on Temple Square, Provo Tabernacle. Over time they needed repair as winter snow loads worked to deteriorate the lumber used to support the center spire structures, as well as horizontal wind loads. Expect a nearly identical exterior reconstuction with a completely different interior as the use of the building will drastically change. The existing remains will be fully documented to be sure prior to demolition. The new building will also need to meet modern building codes, like Nauvoo and Vernal. As far as suggesting a name, that's pretty presumptuous to think suggestions or a poll is appropriate; the brethren will name it whatever the Prophet approves/decides. This will augment not only Provo, but Payson and Timpanogos Temples. This is an exciting development in my view, along with MTC building improvements.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:06 p.m.

The Provo Tabernacle is a large building that can seat hundreds. I am not sure how that will translate into a "small temple". This is especially true since the new building will probably have an expanded underground area.

I seem to recall that President Monson said that the exterior of the tabernacle would be retained.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Actually the Temple Patron's Fund is not new, it has existed for some years. If I understood what my grandmother said on this matter though, at times in the past donations to it were not processed through tithing slips.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:13 p.m.

On the name Provo Tabernacle Temple has actually been used here. They can of course rename the existing Provo Temple, so the final name of either is possible. I would not be surprised if Provo Tabernacle Temple is the used name though.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:46 p.m.

It's awesome that the temples are being built world-wide. There are places that have needed temples for a while, and these that will be built in Africa and Colombia are going to be very much appreciated.

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 12:56 a.m.

I guess it's not a down economy for everybody. It seems that the church is in excellent financial health as always.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 5:46 a.m.

I am GLAD the Church is in excellent financial health.

How could the Church help people all over the Earth if it were in poor financial health?

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:18 a.m.

Why even include Provo in the name of the new temple?

The temple in American Fork is called the Mount Timpanogos Temple, the temple in Daybreak portion of South Jordan is called the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, and the other temple in South Jordan is called the Jordan River Temple.

Our stake is named Salt Lake Jordan North Stake and it is NOT in Salt Lake City nor in any city with the name of "Jordan".

• snowman Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:47 a.m.

rightascension: the tabernacle already has a basement complete with a baptismal font.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Allen#1: The tabernacle is on the national and state historical records. It is Utah oldest historical building. For them to rebuild it they have to use as much of the original design that they can so they can't tear it down and start over.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:39 a.m.

@ snowman

It isn't practical to leave tall unreinforced masonry walls standing while trying to construct a building that meets modern codes within those walls. For one thing, any seismic shock would bring the walls down immediately. A better course of action is to carefully document the exterior and when it is rebuilt, make it identical in every detail. But realize that the new brick walls, while being constructed of the same brick, would be attached to a structural frame capable of resisting an earthquake, strong winds, snow loads and the entire building will be fire sprinkled.

Historical structures are defined as those "over 50 years old" so sometimes they don't make sense. In this case, it does make sense and it will look like the original on the exterior when it is finished. Just watch what happens and perhaps you'll be surprised.

I've atttended events in that building and look forward to seeing it rebuilt as a Temple.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 11:22 a.m.

With the sharp decline in current Temple attendence, I don't understand why more are being built at this time? I think the current operating Templed attendance should be shored. This is a bad business model, many corporation retract and fold because of this pie in the sky growth model.

• johnd WAYNE, PA
    Oct. 2, 2011 2:01 p.m.

This is my opinion on why the Church might build new temples even when the economy is tough or attendance is down. Again, this is just opinion.
    1) Attendance is down perhaps because times are hard. People are working more or cannot afford gas, bus/plane tickets or baby-sitters. The Church is perhaps bringing the temple to the people in order to facilitate attendance. This is particularly applicable for the DR Congo temple. Currently the Saints there are traveling thousands of miles. This is not to say that the Church is building a Kinshasa temple instead of the mentioned Kenya temple, or that it could not afford to build a Kenya temple.
    2) Usually the Church waits for a certain number of stakes or a certain strength of the Church in an area to build a temple. Sometimes it seems that building a temple in a country strengthens the Church there. Members take ownership of the temple and serve there, and it becomes a beacon in that country or area.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 4:26 p.m.

toosmartforyou: For it to remain on the historical register they have to used what is left of the orginal building. An example would be the Provo city library ws built using the orginal structure of an exsisting but falling down historical building.

• InspectorC Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 5:09 p.m.

tosmartforyou @ 9:55 PM 10-1-11, wrote:
    "As far as suggesting a name, that's pretty presumptuous to think suggestions or a poll is appropriate; the brethren will name it whatever the Prophet approves/decides." ---end quote

Hey... IMHO it doesn't take a prophet to pick a name for a temple. It's a no-brainer that every time a new temple is built (or new stake created, etc. etc.) the Brethren entertain suggestions from the local authorities as to what that new temple/stake/ward/etc. ought to be named.

I think it would be awesome if the Church Temples Department set up some method for members of the church to submit suggestions for the new name. Great "PR" move by the church!

• frogguy PROVO, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Let me just comment on the use of the existing exterior walls of the tabernacle. Several have commented that it would be better to demolish them and start over, or that it's hard or impossible to build a new building inside an existing exterior. Well, we Americans are used to "new" and "modern" buildings. But in other parts of the world, saving and restoring exteriors is very common. In Brugges Belgium it is prohibited to destroy the old "row house" facades of downtown. While I was there I saw totally empty lots with facades being held in place with scaffolding and bracing while a new building was constructed within the existing exterior walls. I've also stayed in the Park Hotel in Den Hague, Netherlands which is also a new hotel within the ancient "row house" exterior facade. From within it's just like any other modern hotel, but from outside, it's appearance remains as several adjacent "row house" structures. Building a new temple interior within the existing tabernacle walls will not be a new or difficult thing, except that it isn't common in Provo.

• Wyclif OREM, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:19 p.m.

mightymite

You are amusing. From everything I have seen in my temple visits, temple attendance is actually up. Conversions are up. Church growth is up. Faithfulness of members is up. Conference viewership is up. 97% of the world now has access to LDS General Conference through its many distribution outlets. I love it all.

• Eileen Fullenwider Tucson, Arizona
    Oct. 2, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Here in Tucson we are still hoping to be on the next list!

• lcclayton CASPER, WY
    Oct. 3, 2011 1:28 p.m.

While we are thrilled for the saints in Star Valley, I have to admit that the announcement that the only temple in Wyoming is to be built there, left some of us in the stakes of central and Northeastern Wyoming scratching our heads a little. We read that the drive from Star Valley to a temple has been an hour and a half. Ours is five hours. We have no doubt that Star Valley saints are great temple attenders. If they exceed us, maybe the distance they have had to go has something to do with it.

• Vernal Mom Vernal, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 7:50 a.m.

After the Vernal Tabernacle was turned into a temple, there was talk that they would never construct a temple this way again. The restoration of the exterior, and the expense of construction was "tremendous". The results are a beautiful, historic temple! So happy for my children who live in So. Provo, I never expected this to happen again.

• Acegrace Lilburn, GA
    Oct. 4, 2011 12:58 p.m.

To lcclayton in Casper WY

I appreciate that you saints in Casper drive hours to Denver to go to the temple. I know that I-25 is sometimes icy and blowing snow in the winter since I took it many times when I was at UW and married a Casper-ite, but it's nice and well-maintained.

The roads to Idaho Falls (or Logan or Rexburg) are narrow, icy and twisty for the Star Valley saints.

This is also the fulfillment of a prophecy by the apostle, Moses Thatcher who dedicated and named the valley that there would be a temple built there some day.

It was a stunner to all of us who grew up there and those who live there nevertheless!

As to the fishing comment Pres. Monson made - I had to smile because that's how I met him when he was a young Apostle in 1976 when I was 12. He had gone fishing with my bishop, Bishop McKim that weekend and attended our ward in Thayne that Sunday and that's the day I graduated from Primary!