High school soccer: Hawks set state shutout record

Comments

• basketball1215 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2011 11:58 p.m.

Good job lady hawks!! Well deserved! Keep playing well and you will be state champs!! No doubt they are the best team in state right now.

• chsoccermom Holladay, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Yes Alta is a very good team. But I do believe they lost to Viewmont in pre-season. If you look at the stats, Viewmont is killing every team they have played by 11 or 12 goals. I wouldn't be talking about Alta being the best team in the state, until they can beat Viewmont!!

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Dynasty continues at Alta! Wow 5-0 v Brighton. Very nice girls!

• Alta mom SANDY, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Chsoccermom, All I can say is I hope we see you in the finals. Both teams will have to work hard to get there and and it will be the match of the season. One way or the other it will be a great game

• D.J.W. PROVO, UT
    Sept. 30, 2011 11:52 p.m.

Yes Viewmont is performing well, but accurately enough, I think it's still a good match-up between Alta and Viewmont. Alta has come along way from Pre-season! Great read!

• Autumn70 DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 1, 2011 11:57 p.m.

To chsoccermom: Viewmont, by far, has the EASIEST region in 5A so to say they're beating every team they've played by 11 or 12 goals, unfortunately, really isn't saying much. Alta and most of the teams in Alta's region could "kill" every team in Viewmont's region by AT LEAST 11 OR 12 goals. Alta has the most difficult region in the state and is still beating each of those teams handedly. I would think that most HS soccer fans would agree that Brighton is an easy team to beat for ANY school in the state and Alta shut them down this past week. Alta's record in Region play has brought redemption for the Lady Hawks!! BRING ON VIEWMONT!!!! THE GIRLS ARE READDDYYYYY! :):)

• Autumn70 DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 2, 2011 12:07 a.m.

Oops, correction on my last comment on the 5th line down.."Brighton **isn't** an easy to beat" :)

• USMCF18 DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 7:48 p.m.

Chsoccermom. Viewmont was shutout by Bountiful (4A) 3-0 early in the season. They also barely beat the last place team of Reg 4 2-1. Like Alta, it appears they have come back strong...but checking the stats as you suggest,very few games were won by the 10-12 goal margins (actualy 5 of 15 games--hardly "every team"). I am curious how many times the "mercy rule" as defined in the USHAA 2011-2012 rules handbook published on-line at the USHAA website was invoked-- where if an 8 goal difference exists after 10 minutes into the second half the game is called and victor declared. In our more southerly region, I have seen the rule applied when the 8 goal differential was attained, hence the score could not be run up. Not that I agree with the rule, as I feel the teams need the competitive time for more players. Anyway, we should have a pretty good tournament this year...and I'd be on the look-out for a "giant killer" or two.