BYU football: Cougars got more than just 1 victory

Comments

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 25, 2011 9:50 p.m.

BYU better get its offensive woes fixed soon. It's possible with the way future games are lined up that BYU could be going wins and losses every other game, starting with a loss at home to Utah State.

Not the way to finish this season out.

Can't rely on special teams play to win'em!

Or the defense. It's gonna get tired. The offense needs to keep them off the field longer.

The one stretch where BYU ran up the gut successfully several times in a row, and scored on that possession, is encouraging. But, I won't be excited about the run game until BYU's done it more than one possession in one game.

Friday will be here before you know it.

Utah State will come in with confidence and a point to prove after losing last week. The Cougars better equal that attitude.

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    Sept. 25, 2011 10:57 p.m.

I'm going to put my money on Utah state. I'll bet Provo high could get more offensive production than BYU has the past few weeks. Jake Heaps needs to si out and let somebody else have a shot at QB.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Lifelong Cougar fan here who desperately wants Jake Heaps to just close his mouth.

It's time to do the proverbial "put up...or...shut up"

I'm tired of him telling the media/fans how phenomenally talented the team is.
    I just want him/them/the coaches/whoever to prove it on the field.

Nothing of any consequence has been shown on the field other than a sometimes stout defense. This BYU team better keep eating large quantities of humble pie and then play with fire, passion, and hunger...because up until now, all that talk has you with two losses (one of them, arguably the worst in most fans memory).

Good luck against Utah State. Practice hard and play harder.

Jake, turn it around and let your play do the talking for you. Right now, your play is telling me you're in the bottom 1/10th of college QB's this year. We're waiting (not so patiently) for you to live up to the hype.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 25, 2011 11:08 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe

Something to prove, maybe. Confidence after the Auburn game, yes. But losing again, giving up a lead late in the game, this time to CSU? That doesn't inspire confidence.

Defense will be okay, but pass defense will always be a concern. Offense? I gotta say, Heaps is way down from where he ended last season, and don't give me that old cream puff garbage. He is playing way off and we need to figure out why and fix it.

Sometime the offense is going to click. Might as well be Friday night.

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Sept. 25, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Gag Heaps! He needs to shut up until he can put up...something other than interceptions, passes over the heads and behind the receivers, and a completion percentage below 50%.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Sept. 25, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Jake Heaps still has a lot to learn.

• CoachWinWA POULSBO, WA
    Sept. 26, 2011 2:35 a.m.

I think every facet of the team has had its ups, except the quarterback play. Utah State is going to score on our defense. They know how to put points on the board. Our offense is going against a suspect defense, and they need to put up more than 30 to win this thing.

Time to make it happen, or take a seat. Either way, less talk. I would suggest BYU put a gag order on every player for the next three weeks. Or at least until the offense scores 4 touchdowns in one game.

Not looking forward to BYU going against a spread offense like Utah State runs. We MUST keep that offense off the field with long drives and consistent touchdowns. I just hope this is the week Jake gets out of his standing fetal position and plays like he isnt scared of getting hit. I cant believe I am typing this about a BYU quarterback, but really, its that bad.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 26, 2011 6:04 a.m.

Lots of talk. Always lots of talk from this team. It was a great learning experience (although the same thing happens in the next game), the team learned a lot (but again, no improvement), we have a lot to work on (but again, nothing to show for it), it's about execution (yet no improvement - actually, the D looked worse in this game), etc.

The offensive line looked terrible - no push against an undersized D line. They just stood straight up and tried to move the man in front of them with their arms. Although our run game looked a little better, the RBs couldn't break through the line without having people draped around them. The O line needs to open up some holes.

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Execution is usually the word of the day, but I think potential is up and coming.
    I'm getting all kinds of ideas for my next Sunday School lesson - Thanks Bronco!

• Max Syracuse, NY
    Sept. 26, 2011 6:41 a.m.

More talk, talk, talk from BYU. Here is a newsflash for you. The most talented team doesn't always win. So stop talking about how talented you are. The best team always win. Focus on being the BEST team ... and let your play on the field do the talking for once.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 26, 2011 7:18 a.m.

BYU (coaching staff) learned that their players are not exactly what they thought they were. It's almost impossible to teach "ability".

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 26, 2011 7:35 a.m.

@ morpunkt,

Amen, brother! I'm still waiting to see the real Heaps show up. Will he? I sure hope so this Friday, because if not, the Aggies and their young qb will embarrass them again.

Here's hoping Heaps and the offense will finally come to life this Friday night. So far, their offense's passing attack has been down right miserable to watch but hopefully they'll start putting it together this week. For once I'd like to see some results on the field instead of just the empty hype.

So c'mon Cougs, let's "put up or shut up" as JayDee said earlier.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:03 a.m.

How much worse does Heaps need to play to give Nielson or Lark a shot at starting?? They've already played FOUR games this season and Heaps has played poorly in every game. I'm convinced that Heaps will play the rest of the season and of course put up some great numbers against the worst opponents (Idaho, Idaho St, etc. . ) and be convinced that he just got off to a slow start.

That's one thing that I really respect from Coach Whittingham. He knows how to adapt. Wynn's freshman year he wasn't the starter until part way through the season when the starter (don't remember who because I don't follow Utah football much) was pulled and Wynn led them to a good season. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see that kind of adaptability from my Cougs.

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Hey guys give Jake Hypes... excuse me Heaps a break, I really like him!

• Master Nielsen Saint George, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:20 a.m.

How many wide open receivers can you overthrow before you give another QB a shot. Riley nelson was doing better with the option than overthrow 'em heaps was with the offense. I was just glad that special teams won the game for us.
    The O-line needs to protect Heaps because a little pressure and he cracks. I keep waiting to see the "great quarterback" he's supposed to be.

• SCUte Rock Hill, SC
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Heaps is a Heap all right. Forget his performance on the field - look at what comes out of his mouth: We, WE, We for all the failures; I, I, I for all the fixes. If he is going to do all the fixing - then he is the one for all the failures. An old "truism" here - there is no I in team.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Very glad for the Cougs win. Certainly an ugly win, but an important win nonetheless. So, Heaps says: "We had a real heart-to-heart players' meeting with each other. That was great for our football team offensively and defensively getting on the same page." And he thinks his performance against UCF did that? I agree with OC Fan above- "Gag Heaps!" The BYU Sports Info People hvae got to have enough wherewithall to understand Heaps isn't the best "face" for the offense. He should be, but his words and actions are definitely the exact opposite. With that being said, let's hope for a strong showing against the Aggies on Friday. It's pay-back time!

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:47 a.m.

re: JayDee We can't get Heaps to quit saying all those things you mentioned until we get Bronco to stop talking the same way. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

• Softball Dad Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Offense was still really weak. Defense better save the game again this Friday against USU.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Everyone leave Jakes Heaps alone, you should be honored he plays for you ungrateful fans and will lead you to a conference championship. I guarantee it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Just win the game. I really couldn't care less how, just shut up and win it.

• Dan the Fan PROVO, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:16 a.m.

All of you "fans" were the same ones that were over hyping this team just 2 months ago. Now they aren't performing like you expected and you're calling for heads...grow up! Anyone with logic didn't expect them to be 4-0 at this point. 2-2 for the way that we've played I think is ok.

That doesnt mean I'm not disappointed. I think that we do have a long ways to go, but it's crazy to think one player is the result of all of our woes. It's a "team" effort and the "team" has been unable to finish! That my friends I blame on coaching.

Special teams may have won the game, but just last week they were atrocious. Heaps will be fine. He still is young, with practically no running game and a O-line that hasn't lived up to it's potential. As far as another QB goes, we all saw the one throw riley nelson made. It looked horrible at came out wobbling. If anything move Lark to backup and give him some reps.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:45 a.m.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:56 a.m.

---So. Cal Reader | 9:45 a.m. Sept. 26, 2011
    Escondido, CA
    Re: JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt re: "Jakes Heaps ... will lead you to a conference championship. I guarantee it." Obviously said with tongue-in-cheek. No "Conference" to win a championship in.---

At this point the BYU season is about moral victories so celebrate wins like this and lay off Heaps and Bronco, they are doing great.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 10:57 a.m.

What? Crowing about a victory over a Central Florida outfit? Come on. This victory was a combination of fluke great special teams plays that created an opportunity to eek out a win...no more, no less. Please spare us the rhetoric about offense. There is no continuity or flow from the offense at all. This is a work in progress. Please present the fans with realistic comments about the pregress or lack thereof as the schedule unfolds. Jake Heaps needs to practice more on touch passes and quit missing wide open receivers with flat passes. There continues to be a lack of consistency in the running game, along with some glaring defensive secondary failures. Please....Bronco, show us some emotion on the sidelines. The players have to generate their own enthusiasm completely. Utah State will be another walk in the cemetary.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 26, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Go Aggies!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 26, 2011 11:24 a.m.

So. Cal Reader:

"No 'Conference' to win a championship in."

True, but I don't think the Y knows this yet. From the looks of their schedule, it would appear as though they think they're still in contention for a WAC Championship.

Go Aggies!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 11:35 a.m.

re: Dan the Fan

Guess I'll be the one to respond to your chastisement of disgruntled fans.

I don't know how seriously fans can "hype up" specific players or teams. The media, coaches, and players certainly fed the expectations with raves about practice/camp performances. I'm not sure how you then blame fans for reacting to that.

I agree that two losses are not unreasonable at this point in the season. However, it is the contrast of "the way we've played" with some of the talk STILL taking place (especially by Jake Heaps) that is causing a serious disconnect with me.

I'm more than willing to cut freshmen and sophomore players and new coordinators slack as long as they acknowledge errors, strive to correct them, and then progress becomes evident on the field.

The self-aggrandizement is too much for me. It's simple: show me...don't tell me that you're going to show me.

And as always, GO COUGARS!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 11:37 a.m.

We have more talent than Utah State so we should easily win this one.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Mildred - nice try.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Be prepared for a beat down by the Aggies on Friday cougar fans. The team speed the Aggies have on offense will wear down your big/slow defense by the second half.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Now all the fellas can look in the mirror and explain to themselves, "even though we should have lost, we didn't and I'm a winner."

BYU football is extremely special and even more than than special, they are extremely fragile.

One more close game and the wheels will come off and the 54-10 game will look simple in comparison.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 26, 2011 12:14 p.m.

@ JayDee,

My sentiment exactly. I couldn't have agreed with you more. Let's hope they'll show us this time for sure.

@ Mildred,

I'd be excited if only you were sincere. What a pity!

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I was watching some of the post game comments by coach Mendenhall. He said he thought Jake Heaps had done a good job at quarterback. I'm not sure which game he was watching, but the Jake that I saw was completely horrible. Passing into coverage and overthrowing a completely wide open McKay Jacobson is inexcusable. If I were the coach, I would have benched him right after the interception. Give Lark the ball and tell Jake he won't be put back in until Lark AND Munns both screw up like he has done this entire season. It was complete luck that they pulled out a win this past Friday and I'm not sure they will be able to win again this coming Friday. Go blue. (I have allegiances to both schools)

• Glad to be Retired Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Hey Jake,

Your best receiver wears NO. 6. Throw to him

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Naval Vet
    Yeah, fail to finish yet another game!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 26, 2011 1:52 p.m.

I am 95 percent sure our small town Texas High School team could beat BYU.

And our QB isn't an egomaniac, even though the team is ranked number 1 in the nation.....

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 1:58 p.m.

At some point I keep hoping the BYU fans will come to realize what their team is and stop having these unrealistic expectations. Let me explain it to you:

BYU is a team that is low on athletic ability and skill compared to all top 30 programs. This has always been the case. What they do real well is get the most out of the talent they have with hard work and usually exceed their ability.

What does this mean? It means they will win the games against lesser talent (most WAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, Lower level MWC and D2 schools). They will get a game now and again against top 30 programs but will usually lose most of them. We see this every year.

Do they have players that will make it to the NFL? Sure they do. In recent years these players have been mostly lineman, linebackers and tight ends. Yes I know Beck, Hall and Unga signed NFL deals but lets be honest, they are backups at best. When if ever has a skilled positioned player from BYU made it in the NFL?

Go Utes!

• rnoble Pendleton, OR
    Sept. 26, 2011 2:09 p.m.

i don't usually comment but i read the reports and felt it was entirely possible(not probable) for this team to be 4-0 now---obviously the reports were wrong---now wondering how wrong---texas was clearly an either way game but we don't yet know how good texas is---ole miss was also an either way game and they are clearly not any good at finishing based on no wins yet---utah has shown promise but is not yet clearly good although they really performed against byu---usc is seems to be middle of the pac and utah-usc was an either way game---

i think we have definite cause to worry---i had thought early on that utah, texas, and tcu were the ones with the most likely wins and so far that has been the case---i will continue to see what happens with great interest and some trepidation---

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Big J
    You ever heard of Austin Collie? seems he's done pretty well in Indy I would say. So where is Brian Johnson MVP of the Sugar Bowl playing again, Brooks, Asiata? yep exactly, not sure what your point is. Heres the Utah trend, Except for the two BCS years(*) you beat some good teams but had some really awful teams that lost to bad teams, but the Utes always get crushed by top teams(TCU, Oregon, Boise) Then I guess the Utes have just as many no talents as BYU. Name the last big time skill player out of Utah.

• hope a lot SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 2:35 p.m.

I have told you people " Just Hope a LOT" and all will turn out just fine.
    Now that you know you can do it; just keep doing the same thing= win, win , win.
    When you think you can, you can, when you think you can't, just remove the "T"
    and you will find "you can".

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Heaps has to face the press so what is he supposed to say, "we're all a bunch of lousy football players with no talent whatsoever? That's why we look so bad?" Sometimes I wonder if instead of booing, if the crowd chanted "Heaps, Heaps Heaps" and sought to build his confidence it might do something to help the guy. Maybe not. But booing and trashing a guy when he's down sure isn't going to make things better. It only puts more pressure on. I would wager that no one writing these comments wants it more than him, and no one writing these comments has worked as hard as he has. Maybe he'll end up not being the guy, but I admire the coaches for sticking with him for now. They know his potential better than the rest of us. Anybody remember Steve Young's first couple of games? Or the difference between junior and senior seasons?

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Re: BigRich "Anybody remember Steve Young's first couple of games?" I don't recall, but let's not lose sight that Jake's first "couple of games" was last season, and he was horrendous! Granted, he made a dramatic turn-around and ended up having a very solid season, setting the BYU Freshman record for most passing yards. Genuinely impressive. I, along with many other Cougs fans, was hoping he'd continue that progression this season. He simply has not. In fact, he's regressed. It's the first part of 2010 all over again for him. That shouldn't occur. Let's hope Fri's contest against 'dem Aggies does the trick to turn him around. I hope!! Go, Cougs!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 3:50 p.m.

@ BigRich

Jake, along with some others, could face the press and say, "I am not playing well. I have a lot of work to do. I am focused on beating Utah State. I will do my best to help the team."

And then he can resist the urge to say more.

It's painfully obvious that Jake's issue is not a lack of confidence. In fact, I believe he thinks he IS hearing "Heaps, Heaps, Heaps!"

Something about BYU football is not right -- yet. I have some thoughts, but I'll leave it to players and coaches to figure out. The problem is, the road of independence and ESPN exposure is demanding NOW. There is no more time for on-the-job training...or... hopefully we'll get there.

As a fan, I'm eager to see the bill of goods (decent offensive results) I've been sold since the promise of the New Mexico Bowl. It's time for results -- not platitudes and positive affirmations to mask the poor play (Five offensive touchdowns in four games).

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 4:00 p.m.

@ JayDee | 3:50 p.m. Sept. 26, 2011
    West Jordan, UT

You will get your wish for more offensive touchdowns since the WAC part of the schedule begins soon. Unfortunately, the quality of these upcoming opponents (USU excluded) will mask the offensive problems. We'll have to wait until the OSU or TCU games to note any improvement.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Duckhunter | 9:04 a.m. Sept. 26, 2011
    Highland, UT
    Just win the game. I really couldn't care less how, just shut up and win it.
    ___________________________

Hey, Ducky's in from the ledge!

Judging by this comment, he too has felt betrayed. It must be painful after all the encouragement by the coaches and media for fans to climb out on the byu limb of unrealistic expectations.

Welcome back to earth.

• cougarfan04 Ephraim, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Jake Heaps is taking so much heat right now from fans and its sad to watch. Show some loyalty please and back up your quarterback. We have a great tradition at BYU with quarterbacks, and I trust that Jake will only add on to that tradition, give him time. we won friday. Back your team up or cheer for a different team, cuz im getting tired of people bashing the Jake Heaps and the coaches over and over. Heaps has come out and said he knows he needs to improve, thats all you can ask of a young quarterback. give him some time, and stand besides your team and its players PLEASE!

GO COUGARS!! Im optomistic in what this team can do, sure im sick of what seems at times to be propoganda, but lets on show some loyalty to the team we love!!

BYU wins friday....35-17

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 4:46 p.m.

jarka-rus

See now you got your undies in a bunch. You are correct. Austin Collie is the exception and I over looked him. You may also find Todd Watkins stayed on a roster for a while along with Aaron Francisco.

Now you brought up BCS years (BYU has none) lets look at the skilled and non-skilled players that drew NFL pay checks from those teams:

2008
    Skilled: S. Smith, B McCain, F Brown, R Johnson, D Reed, RJ Sanford, B Burton.
    Non-Skilled: P Kruger, K Misi, Z Beadles, S Sylvester, K Schlauderaff, C Cox.

2004
    Skilled: A Smith, P Warren, Q Gunther, T LaTendresse, E Weddle.
    Non-Skilled: S Pouha, C Kemoeatu, J Fanenea, S Toone, S Fifita, J Madsen, P Soliai

Stop being offended when someone points out BYU deficiencies. Realize what they are.

By the way, Utah has never been blown out by Oregon in recent history (Score 31-24 on the road). Utah struggled against TCU in 09 and 10 and clearly they were the better team. Boise State was also better than Utah last year.

Go Utes!

• Heaps 0-4 vs Utah Provo, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 4:50 p.m.

"It's going to be fun to see where our team decides to take it from here."

Heaps, you are going to the Armed Forces bowl. Even if you are a hideous team, you should be able to beat Idaho, Idaho State, San Jose State, and New Mexico State all at home.

You're season is essentially over. In the bowl game BYU will play a conference USA opponent.

BYU has 1 game left, TCU.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Re: cougarfan04- "BYU wins friday....35-17." I regard myself as a big Cougs fan-- ask my kids who attend(ed) there and anyone else who knows me. But, I also try to be more realistic with my interest. With that being said, I strongly agree w/ your Cougs victory prediction against the Aggies; however, there is no way the Cougs offense puts up 35 points. Where have you seen that type of fire power from the offense this year? Let's hope you're correct, and I'm wrong. But, we both agree on the win!!

• reggieaggie Logan, ut
    Sept. 26, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Turbin is over rated, Chuckie Keeton is only a true freshamn, Bobby Wagner is just a kid from Caly, we can't catch, we can't run and can't block. We are losers, so pencil in a win for the Cougars. You guys are awesome and we worship the ground you walk on. Thanks your little brother(s) p.s. our linebackers can't tackle either.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 26, 2011 5:50 p.m.

To whomever said "Remember Steve Young's first year?"

Well Steve's first year was his junior year. Same with Bosco, Sarkesian, Wilson, McMahon. Heaps is a Sophomore.

Detmer started his Sophomore year, as I recall.

Heaps is a kid, and the fact that he's still starting tells you about the talent level behind him.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 5:52 p.m.

@ JohnInSLC | 4:02 p.m. Sept. 26, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

She might be in from the ledge, but she's pretty sensitive. Still trying to deal with the dillusions you know.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 6:15 p.m.

cougarfan04,

What game were you watching? Jake Hypes did NOT win that game for BYU. In fact, I think fans should be dissappointed with him and even boo him. The ego that the kid has and the blindness and stubbornness the coaching staff has to keep him in is seriously hurting BYU more than ever right now. If I were a blue fan, I would boo louder than ever when he gets in. Get everyone else to so maybe you can influence a stubborn coach to start players who perform.

Texas had no problem benching Gilbert when he wasn't performing, McCoy went in and had a great game. He is starting now. They start the better qb.

I'm so disgusted with Jake hypes, what an embarrassment to the game and especially BYU!

• Heaps 0-4 vs Utah Provo, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 8:31 p.m.

Re: Bluehusky

Next year Heaps will only be a junior, and the year after that only a senior.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Big J
    Seems your undies may be a little bunched as well. Okay fine I can make a list of BYU players who have gotten "paychecks" in the NFL as well. Of the 2008 skill players you mention, Only one has any real stats to speak of, Sean Smith. No matter.
    Utah national championships(none)
    One NC trumps two BCS wins every time.

BYU Heisman winners 1.
    Utah(none)

Utah Super Bowl QB's(none) A Smith will never win a Super Bowl. The Niners just can't cut him because of the idiotic salary they gave him.

BYU 2.

So both BYU and Utah have there fair share of great players. How many skill players the Utes gonna have this year drafted? I can't count very many.

• jw_bluecoug SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 10:52 p.m.

J Heaps is certainly close to running on the same road
    as Wynn. He needs to get it together because my patience
    is running out. One "Wynn" is bad enough

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 11:05 a.m.

jarka-rus

There i've offended you again. I'm sorry. You still are living in the past.

Modern college Football stated in 1998 with the BCS. There is no debate which program has been better in those years. It clearly is Utah. BYU was the better team in the late 70s through the 90s.

Since 1998 how does BYU rank on any of your most important stats?

By the way, I will take two BCS Bowl wins over the 1984 NC any day of the week. Two is always better than one. Two undefeated seasons is also better than one.

In 2004 I thought Utah had a shot of going undefeated but never booked it until the week prior to the BYU game. In 2008 I knew it would be real tough. That is the difference between educated fans and "Bubble Boys". You count your wins in August and we count ours in January. Get a reality check and lower your unrealistic expectations for your team.

Go Utes!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 28, 2011 9:39 a.m.

In my opinion, though I know we played hard, we also got lucky against UCF. Their offense torched us quite a few times for long yards; some were 10 and 15 yard runs and others (at least 2 that I can think of were passes for 40-50 yards, and they seemed to do it at will.

Points were put on the board but our offense simply has not shown the ability to move the ball well/consistently, and if you don't think so, you are in serious denial. One shaky win does not pronounce us healthy.

OCU's offense simply man-handled us. We got a tipped pass here, an interception there, a recovered fumble (nice job, guys!) but then UCF would put the hammer down and just chew us up.

And Jake Heaps, though I desperately want him to perform well, he's playing poorly, and all the positive talk in the world about "execution" isn't going to change it. He threw forced balls into multiple-man coverage that he clearly shouldn't have, he overthrew balls and he underthrew balls.

UCF's freshman quarterback, when he played? Now HE looked sharp!

C'mon, Jake, you're a big part of our troubles.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 28, 2011 9:44 a.m.

And one more thing.....what's up with all the missed tackles?

I bet at least 5 or 6 times against UCF I'd see their guy hit at the line of scrimmage and think "no gain there" and then he'd slip out of our tackle or bounce to the outside and he'd squirt out a 5-6 yard gain. I remember one run when their guy churned out a whopping TEN yard gain after being hit at the line of scrimmage. That's ten yards running in traffic, not just cruising with no one around him. Their RB's looked like they were pretty big amigos and, yes, they were amazingly quick, but when you hit a guy you've got to wrap up.

GO COUGARS!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 28, 2011 9:51 a.m.

And while I'm thinking of it.....what's up with all the dropped passes? The few passes Jake Heaps DID get on target, at least 4 were dropped.

Simply.