Opinion

My view: Modernizing nuclear weapons testing methods is essential

Comments

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 12:16 a.m.

Bravo, Senator.

This is a well-reasoned conservative argument of the type and quality that is tragically, and ominously, all too rare among today's crop of Republicans.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 11:34 a.m.

I respect you, Senator Garn, but to me your argument for banning nuclear testing is completely unconvincing. Sorry. A ban would only tilt the scale in favor of those who hate us.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Peanut,

Sounds like you didn't actually read the article.

How are our enemies remotely at an advantage if international law makes it impossible for them to build a nuclear weapons program without significant punishments? Moreover, how is there a disincentive for any country to develop nuclear weapons if we're still setting ours off?

Garn is correctly observing that while we have the capabilities to ensure the reliability of our bombs without detonating them, Iran and North Korea don't.

We have everything to gain and nothing to lose from a comprehensive test-ban treaty.

• forefamilies Snohomish, WA
    Sept. 25, 2011 4:26 p.m.

As a child in Southern Utah I grew up twirling in the nuclear dust from above-ground tests in Nevada. Now as an adult I watch my husband battle leukemia from the same source. I don't want my children or anyone else to suffer the same fate.
    There are other ways to test our arsenal, no other generation needs to suffer.
    The Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty must be ratified.
    Thanks Jake Garn, for this informative op-ed article. (It more than makes up for not shaking my ten-year-old son's hand at a fair 30 years ago.)

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 6:16 p.m.

Re: Blue: Yes, I read the entire op-ed before I commented. Iran and North Korea are continuing their nuclear development, and they havent been stopped by any "punishment" from us or the U.N. It doesn't work.

Also, we DON'T have the capability to ensure the reliability of our bombs without detonating them periodically. It doesn't have to be open air tests that risk people's health, but it does need to be done in some form. Aging parts become unreliable, and our enemies know this, which emboldens them and undermines peace. No, if we ratify the treaty, we're only hamstringing ourselves.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 8:00 p.m.

PG: "Also, we DON'T have the capability to ensure the reliability of our bombs without detonating them periodically."

That's the entire point of Senator Garn's message -- the US Dept of Defense disagrees strongly with your claim that the only way to keep our nukes reliable is to periodically set one off.

• r_r Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Well done and hat's off to Senator Garn! Let's hope Sens. Hatch and Lee are paying attention.