Faith

Vai's View: Vai's View: Philadelphia temple groundbreaking was a day to remember

Comments

• drbarbiedpm GRAHAM, WA
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Vai,
    I started reading your column a few months ago. I look forward to it every Friday. Thanks for all of your uplifting words. You are a wonderful storyteller. Keep up the good work.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Vai, I, too, eagerly await your Friday "nuggets". I don't believe I've missed one yet. This was, bar none, your high water mark for your blogs. What a "bellwether day" in the life of Vai Sikahema, in particular, and the saints within the Philadephia Temple District, in general. Thank you for the way you invite readers into very personal experiences in your life. What a great, sacred privilege to speak at the temple dedication for a state & people that you so dearly love-- and to have your noble father attend to hear your remarks as well. Wow! Without a doubt, "We [all] love you, brother"!!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Another incredible personal story Vai. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Your articles really help put things in perspective for me.
    God Bless

• Lincoln Coug Lincoln, NE
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:04 p.m.

As always, entertaining to read and uplifting. I find myself wanting to do a little better each time I read something from Vai. Keep it up!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Vai,

I served in the Audubon, NJ ward, which included Camden and Cherry Hill in 1976. My companion and I were teaching the non-member husband of a part member family. He was Puerto Rican. This lead to teaching several other Spanish speaking families.

At the time we were in the Washington DC Mission. The boundaries were changed in July of that year and we became part of the Harrisburg mission. Spanish speaking elders were brought in and the Spanish speaking elders started teaching a Sunday School class for the many investigators and recent converts. Later they moved these meetings into Camden where it would be easier for the locals to attend. In less than six months they had a branch with attendance above 75, most were investigators.

Very happy to hear they have their own chapel today.

I have a cousin who recently returned from serving in the Cherry Hill NJ mission, Spanish Speaking.

Miracles are happening...

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:13 p.m.

I used to live in an adjoining Stake, and I've had the opportunity to know of the challenges of Camden, Trenton and Philly. There are good things happening in these tough towns, and Vai is making a huge contribution. Thanks to Vai and all the other pioneers of that area.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Sometimes reader comments don't do these stories justice, so all I can do is say "Thank you, Vai."

• kaparowitz A.F., UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Great story as usual. Loved to hear this account first-hand about the temple in Philly. The work moves on.

• RonKearns COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Thank you Vai. What a great site for the new temple; can't wait to see it as a permanent landmark of that great city. May God continue to bless you. Keep bringing the good words.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 2:00 p.m.

A real honor to speak along side Henry B. Eyring. Thanks Bro Sikahema.

• Done That Monroe, CT
    Sept. 23, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Thanks Vai for the 'Philly' update. Lived in the area during high school and college and helped the missionaries track out 'South Philly' after my return from a mssion to Italy. I was fortunate to help with building the Stake Center in Broomall When we moved to NJ , I was able to help with the Moorestown Chapel construction/landscaping so I have great memories of the area). If it hadn't been for a 'Helping Hands' project last weekend, I would have been there as well. Reading your blog helps overcome my regret for missing the groundbreaking.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Vai speaking about Via. What is new. This guy is so full of himself and his surroundings.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Re: mightymite. My, oh, my! I'll take your comment as being said in obvious jest. Plus, if you really believe that way, just a little suggestion-- don't read his blogs! Full of himself? I doubt not. From a family, career and church responsibility, living a life few of us experience? Indeed. And to think he's willing to bring the readers into his inner-circle, I find amazing and refreshing. He is very unique in many, many positive ways. Perfect or so much "better" then the rest of us? No. Keep 'em coming, Vai!

• anneray Kosciusko, Mississippi
    Sept. 23, 2011 5:06 p.m.

As a recent reactivated member of the church who will very soon return to the temple to renew my covenants, I thank you for sharing this story. You have strengthened my belief of the importance of temples, especially since my first time was across the country. Over the years the temples got closer and now its so convenient. Bless you and your family for all you do.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 6:41 p.m.

Vai,

You are the best. Keep it coming. We all love it.

• nimrod ALAMO, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Vai: You were a wonderful and exciting football player. As a human being, you are even greater. May you have a long and enjoyable life.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Sept. 24, 2011 12:04 a.m.

I love the faith promoting Vai and his faith promoting columns.

• rj Moss, Norway
    Sept. 24, 2011 5:15 a.m.

Thanks so much Vai! There's a special spirit here you just don't get from reading, say, a Brad Rock article (although he has his place on these pages too). Keep on writing!

• vcsheffield Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 24, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Thank you Vai! God bless you, your family, and especially your mother.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 24, 2011 10:22 a.m.

I was a missionary in Philly, and it really made me feel good to hear that the saints there were getting a temple.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 24, 2011 10:28 a.m.

I have numerous ancestors that lived in and around Philadelphia as far back as the late 1600's. I would so love to serve a mission in that area with my husband or atleast make a trip there to walk the streets and see the places where my ancestors once were.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Sept. 24, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Vai, I always enjoy reading your articles. What ever you right about you are always right on.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 24, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Vai it sounds like a wonderful day, a real highlight in your life. Thank you so much for letting us all share it just a little bit with you.

• Dick of the NW Bainbridge Island, Washington
    Sept. 24, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Thank you Vai. Your testimony comes through so strong and clear. Your work is truly a light upon the hill to gather more to the the Church.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Sept. 24, 2011 4:33 p.m.

These are exciting days for the Philadelphia area. I am glad the Church is moving forward with its commitment to building in the heart of cities. It is encoraging that someone is building a new building in Camden.

• mtgrantlass Camden Wyoming, DE
    Sept. 24, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Thank you for sharing your remarks given at the Philadelphia Temple groundbreaking in your column. I heard them via satellite at our meetinghouse and thought as you were giving your talk 'i hope i can find the transcript for this - it's beautiful' and here they are! It truly was a beautiful day, to be treasured - a temple in Philadelphia - the cradle of liberty! They said 21/2 - 3yrs - am so looking forward to the completion of it!

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    Sept. 24, 2011 9:47 p.m.

LOVED that article! Vai is a true disciple of Jesus Christ who I will always admire.

• Blue Moses Magna, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Brother Vai, Well spoken. You impress as usual. Keep it up.

• Keen American Fork, UT
    Sept. 25, 2011 5:13 p.m.

RE: mightymite...where does Vai speak about himself to the point that he's the center of attention? If you're going to make such a claim, then back it up with specific details.

Of course, Vai talks about himself in the context of his parents sacrifice to travel to the temple to have their family sealed there. I can't see how what Vai shares focuses entirely about him. Considering that Tongans in general are a very humble people, I think it's great that Vai talks about himself at all. But to the point where you state that Vai "is so full of himself and his surroundings," remember that this is, after all Vai's blog. It's not named after someone or something else. Consequently, you/we should expect Vai to discuss things from his vantage point.

As someone from Polynesian heritage, I applaud Vai's professional and personal work and look forward to reading his blog. Vai's regular writings make me proud to be Polynesian and inspire me to be a better father, son, latter-day saint, and person.

Keep up the great work, Vai! Mahalo brother!

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Sept. 26, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Never thought moving to Phili would be so rewarding. Fun to watch the progress of our next generation.

• MedfordMan Medford, OR
    Sept. 26, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Mightymite: "If you look for the bad in people, you will surely find it." And the opposite is also true: If you look for the good in people, you will surely find it...and you will be happier.

Wonderful column, Brother Sikahema! Very inspiring.

• InspectorC Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I was an LDS missionary in PA (including Philly). My eyes fill with tears of gratitude every time I read something about the new temple there, and when I contemplate that great blessing for the people of that city and region (LDS or otherwise!)

Oh.... and, uh..... GO PHILLIES!!!!!! 8^O