Dick Harmon: BYU football: Cougars need to find accountability in tonight's game

Comments

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:56 a.m.

When the game is over tonight, many of us can say Good Knight(s)! Another upset at home coming up!

• UKcat SPANISH FORK, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 6:48 a.m.

It seems that another general description of Bronco's teams might be: loses to the better teams that BYU usually plays early in the year, but beats the lower quality conference teams that have, in the past, come later in the season.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 7:10 a.m.

It is good that the team has provided so much fodder for those that have nothing better to do than hate BYU. I just can't imagine being so obsessed with hating a team so much. Oh well, glad I have a life.

• cork Murray, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 8:48 a.m.

I'm planning my list trip to Provo tonight (obligation). Another debacle like last week and my season tickets will be burned. No giving them away (I don't hate anyone that much) or selling them (I don't know anyone dumb enough to buy them.)

A loss of any sort will empty the stadium for the season. You want to call that disloyal? I'll give you my address and gladly sell YOU my tickets! Why anyone would want to waste the time and additional money to drive I-15 to Provo and back to see this year's football entertainment product is beyond me.

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:02 a.m.

It's sad that the rest of the season doesn't matter at all. BYU might have recovered from a one point loss to Texas, but a blowout by Utah means that the best BYU has to hope for is an armed forces bowl, and that's only if they run he board from here on out. As someone who has watched or listened to every BYU game the last several seasons, I find myself almost disinterested in what happens the rest of the season. I'm curently not planning to watch the game tonight, though I might read about it in the paper later. I still can't understand at all why BYU went independent. It was bad for football and terrible for all the other sports.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:09 a.m.

well well the haters are out, out proving max was right, so right. And the so called "fans", well go root for utah please. We dont want or need you. And after utah loses to ASU-AU and a couple more, well who's band wagon you going to jump onto after utah?

It was one game and one loss, big woop. BYU will be just fine. The sun will come up on Sat. morning I promise....

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:13 a.m.

I had free tickets. I went with my friend, a die hard Y fan. My first ever live Y/U football game. The last two were decided on the last play. I hoped for more of the same. I didn't really care who won, just wanted a good game. I was amazed at how fast the Y fans around me turned on their own team. As the 2nd half wore on I was trying to talk my friend down off the ledge saying it's just one of those nights; and BYU is really better than this. I heard the guy behind me chuckle and say "You know we've hit rock bottom when U fans are feeling sorry for us." I hope they can turn it around.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:18 a.m.

I'm fine with BYU having gone independent. It was the right move. If they pass up a Big XII offer, they are truly nuts. As for tonight, Dick, all those moments you wrote about are in the past. This year's team has not shown sufficient heart and will to win (especially on 3rd down) to get the job done. Tonight will be a huge game - another loss and the fans will lose interest, especially with bad upcoming schedule of home games. for me personally, this is Heap's last stand. I don't know Lark at all, but if he had reps with the first team all week, I doubt he could be any worse than Heaps has done.

• TP5 Highland, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:19 a.m.

You guys are pathetic, you claim to be byu fans yet already saying how you don't watch to watch the rest of the season because the season hasn't hasn't been very pretty so far. Sure it has been rough so far, but doesn't mean you stop supporting the Cougars. If you were a true BYU fan you wouldn't be throwing in the towel three games into the season. Where is your cougar pride?

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I completely understand the feelings of angst-I feel them too. However I think the real fans are still in it for the long haul. It's true that all aspirations of BCS glory are well behind us for this year, but it is still my team that will take the field tonight, next week and for the rest of the season. I for one will be watching each game, attending the TCU game and hopefully the bowl game as well.

I said before the season that if either Heaps or Doman was good, we would have an awesome season, if they were both average we should still have a very good season, and if either of them was bad it would be a bit rough. I didn't quite expect them both to be as bad as they've been. It hasn't helped that we haven't had any easy games to practice. But I still maintain that if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot, we would have been right in that Utah game, and if we could have figured out an offensive gameplan we would have won at least the Texas game if not both. I hope it works tonight...

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 9:51 a.m.

I'll be there tonight.

The Cougars have to convert 3rd downs, keep drives alive and keep the Cougar defense off of the field. We'll settle for a few field goals, but we need touchdowns. Jake ... no bounced passes or overthrowing receivers and no more excuses. Shut up and play! Special teams ... step it up. No kicks out of bounds, no shanked punts. Get down the field quickly and lets not have the first 4 or 5 guys miss tackles and allow 20+ yards on kickoff and punt returns.

We were embarrassed and humiliated last week in our own house. Redeem yourselves and show some pride!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 10:26 a.m.

byu needs to find more than 2-3 athletes to play on their football team

This is Y you continually get exposed by teams full of athletes(Florida State, Florida State, TCU, TCU, TCU, Utah, Utah, Utah State)

Central Florida if full of athletes

Easy win

UCF 31
    byu 10(again 1 offensive TD for fourth game)

Go Knights!

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 11:58 a.m.

It will be fun to watch two highly motivated football teams.

A win for UCF could help them achieve some additional credibility as an up and coming team.

A win for BYU could restore some confidence for players, coaches and fans.

Go Cougars!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Hey "cork", I'll buy your tickets for next weeks game. I would at least be interested in the USU game.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 1:12 p.m.

I guess Bronco should have fired Doman ?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 2:00 p.m.

I personally think it was the shirt. Thanks Bronco.

Maxie, Oh the hypocricy of it all. Love it.

• jaredM Provo, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Wow,
    Some of you BYU fans on here are amazing. Yes they've played bad, yes it was the most humiliating game that I've watched (FYI I'm a cougar fan) but we've been spoiled by winning so much that a rough patch has many claiming to throw everything away and give up. I thought we had true fans, rain or shine that support our cougars. I'm also a Chicago Cubs fan from birth, you wanna know pain, humiliation and losing. Yet I'm still a fan.

I'm not excusing the poor performance, everyone needs to step it up on the team, but come on fans, let's show a little support and pride.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 3:30 p.m.

As a U fan, do I want the Y to win tonight? Of course not, but honestly because I feel so bad for the team (not the fans) I'm hoping it's at least competitive. If not, maybe they should just hold on to their pseudo NC, and put more of the church's money into the Basketball program. They could rent out the indoor facility to Utah county little league programs and turn LES into one of the nicest concert and event venues in the West! At least then, something exciting would be happening in Provo!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 3:33 p.m.

I will be watching #5 De La Salle play the #7 team from Ft. Lauderdale on ESPN2. During commercials I might tune in to ESPN for a quick look at the BYU score. It's nice to have options.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 23, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Chris B, you're on athelete of false predictictions, flawed views, while giving credibility to Max Hall.

• CRB Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 23, 2011 5:50 p.m.

what a great idea but when you have the wrong QB for your system how can you. So what can Doman do? Any above average team will take away the run and try to make Heaps beat you. There is no change in his ability from his first game to now. Then Heaps goes to the short 3 step passes to his first option because he can't throw beyond 10 yards accurately, on the run, under pressure and doesn't go through progressions. So the defense sometime in the second quarter adjusts to take away the short passes or inside the red zone they do the same and surprise a couple of field goals is all you get. So then what do you do as OC. You can't run an option or a pistol or a read option or move the pocket or a bootleg or even a 7 step drop. Why? Because your QB can't do those things and your Oline historically can't protect against an average or better defensive scheme. That is the problem but that has not changed. What has changed is you now has a defense that can't stop people and quits. Now that's a real problem.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 23, 2011 7:37 p.m.

Other than the 4th and 2 with Riley at QB, the play calling has been OK. Heaps is not ready for big time yet. Throwing behind open receivers and the really bad throw into triple coverage.

He'll be good someday, if he doesn't get ruined this year. But he's not good right now. Cannot come up with a big play. Not yet, at least. Maybe in the 2nd half .... hope hope hope ....

Defense is looking pretty good. TD after the pick. Hope they don't wear down in the 2nd half .... hope hope hope ....

Still wonder why we're not seeing Lark. He must really be bad.