High school football notebook: Roy back in the limelight with Jim McMahon's jersey retirement

Comments

• TO'A59676 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 5:25 a.m.

Very, very cool way to go Coach Fernandes if that doesn't inspire your kids to rise up for that shoot I'm excited and I'm not even playing Friday night Good Luck. Way to put that together, and fire up your kids and bring back the community that should fire everyone up. Hope to see that score come up early Saturday morning saying you guys did it. Hats off to you Coach.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 15, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Jim McMahon is still the only person I've ever rooted for that once wore the cougar blue. He was just a super cool dude!

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Yankees27 - What is up with our Wasatch Wasps football team the past two games? Any insight???

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 2:23 p.m.

We'll see how the "kings of Region 1" (Davis Darts) do against Syracuse. It will be interesting to see the outcome of that game and the Northridge - Fremont game. I am glad to see the Royals doing well and it should be a night to remember at Durbano Field Friday night. I expect a lot of people there from all over.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 15, 2011 10:33 p.m.

@Wasp, well honestly, it's been a roller coaster year for this group, if you think about the former player getting paralyzed in an accident, the ordeal with Coach North's situation getting dragged on way too long and finally having to hire a coach last minute, then losing a star receiver and team leader to a tragic drowning just days before football started, I'd say a .500 team would be a moral victory. However, I believe these boys will continue to work hard and improve as much as possible. It's obvious that to compete with the tougher competition in 3A for the next few years, we are going to have to start building "programs" not just having a coaching staff for the varsity players, but building from the youth leagues up. Wrestling does this and is successful, now football and especially baseball need to follow suit and get involved heavily in the building of the youth programs. It's the way the bigger schools do it, why not us? The administration needs to consider this when hiring new coaches, if they aren't willing to take on building a "program" then hire someone who will. You get what you put into it

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2011 10:45 a.m.

@Wasp-(this is the 3rd attempt) I think that group has been through a lot this year. The coaching drama dragging on, finding a replacement, losing one of your stars and team leaders to a drowning accident right before the season. Most of the boys are still working hard at improving, and most will admit that with a new coach, it will take some time to gel. However, Coach Davis is doing a very good job.

That being said, it is very apparent that if we want to compete with the big boys, we will need to start copying they way they build their youth programs. The Wrestling program works this way, and is one of the most successful in the state. Now football and baseball need to follow suit and get their coaching staffs to actively participate with the youth teams. Or, we could flail along in mediocrity and never hang a banner in the gym.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    Sept. 16, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@yankees27- Thanks for the insight- you have a lot of valid points. How do you think the new hires will do with basketball?

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2011 12:20 p.m.

sorry for the double posting! The first one was sent late last night and I assumed when it wasn't posted earlier this morning that it had been denied. Makes me look silly, but I'm used to that.

I also wanted to point out that I think a lot of the current football staff and they are doing a great job in very trying circumstances.

And I still think Jim McMahon rocks!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Wasp, sorry, as you may be able to tell, I'm not a Basketball guy. I do know that Coach Mag won a few state championships before, so he must know something right? I hope both the boys and girls do very well this year.

• ILUVFTBALL Ogden, UT
    March 9, 2012 8:40 a.m.

I am hearing some exciting things about this years Roy team. When you see over 75 kids showing up for 6am workouts you know they are excited too. I for one appreciate his willing to raise the standard and to back it up with hard work. It may be early but that is a good sign for Roy.