U.S. & World

Experts say Mitt Romney wins another debate, that Rick Perry has made him better

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:02 a.m.

Mitt
    Rick
    Michelle
    Daffy
    Mickey

As long as it's not barack

From CNN today:

"The nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% in 2010, its highest level since 1993. In 2009, 14.3% of people in America were living in poverty. About 46.2 million people are now considered in need."

Way to go barack - that's all you.

He told us if we spent his original 787 billion that unemployment would not reach 8%.

Whoever believes him anymore is a fool.

• Manny Being Manny Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:39 a.m.

Can someone explain to me what the definition of a flip-flopper is? I know Mitt has been labeled as one for his views on abortion. So why wouldn't Rick Perry be one for "adjusting" his views on Social Security? First he's against it, and now he's for it?

If Perry's claim is that he just wants to reform it - of course, most every candidate has indicated that. But Perry's stance in Fed Up went much further than just reform.

And why does Perry get a free pass on the "untruths" he keeps forcing on Romney (see Fact check on "criminal" and "claims about Dukakis' job creation". Politics, sheesh.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:51 a.m.

If Romney gets the Republican nomination, bye-bye Obama. If Perry gets it, the national election will be 50-50.

It'll be interesting to see whether the Republican machine figures this out in time.

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Mitt Romney is certainly a great debater, because he knows how to say what people want to hear. Here's some examples:

to reporter in 2008 campaign: well, I dont recall God speaking to me. I, I dont recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the [burning] bush, or perhaps some others, but, but I dont have that frequent of communication.

The "perhaps some others" caveat gives his jut enough wiggle room that the Mormons won't be too mad, while the others won't think he is weird.
    Or how about these:
    "I will protect and respect a woman's right to choose." (2002)
    "I will be a pro-life President." (2011)

It's all about the office he is running for and when he is running for it. Did anyone else notice that in the CNN video clip that no new ideas were offered? Just attacks on Rick Perry and about how bad he is. Just being better than Perry is not good enough for America. Sure, we want Mitt to do well because he is one of "us", but let's not be so biased that we ignore his faults.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Very interesting debate I thought, I thought Michelle Bachman was strong, and I thought again Gingrich did well when given a chance to answer a question. I think Ron Paul needs to give it up, and get out of the race. Huntsman is a broken record and is throwing his daddy's hard earned money out the window! I think the serious contendors are Romney, Perry, Bachman and Gingrich. The problem I have with Gingrich is his "Hard Line Party Stance", although I do know he can work across party lines. I thought Romney won it, and I thought Bachman and Gingrich and Senturim did well. I think Perry is becoming a guy I am not so sure about. He seems to have that "Texas arrogance", and I am not so sure I like that very much? All I know is I am starting to narrow my choices for vice-president!

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Perry is a typical texan...everything is bigger and better in Texas. Too pompous for me. Puffed out chest, bravado, unpresidential. Any are better than o, but Romney is best qualified.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Don't know which experts Hal Boyd is listening to, but the "experts" I have read this morning didn't think Mitt did very well.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:16 a.m.

I also struggle with Romney's seemingly convenient change of stance on key moral issues, particularly when the previous stance was great for getting elected Gov. of Massachusettes but bad for getting elected President. Still, there is little doubt that he is the most intelligent candidate among the republicans currently (the republicans need an intelligent President). His seven points last night were all right on. Rick Perry isn't going to hurt Romney in the long run, he's an empty basket so far. Inspite of some of my apprehensions, Romney may just win me over yet.

I have to say that Huntsman is a complete disappointment. I would imagine he's already regretting his decision to run. It looks like Obama was worried over nothing.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:27 a.m.

Richard Saunders, Romney is right on both his 2202 & his 2011 quotes, and ANYONE who understands the gospel understands he is PRO-Life! He is also someone who believes strongly in a persons right to choose, "For there must needs be an oposition in all things", although the "CHOICE should ALWAYS BE FOR LIFE!" As for the debate, Romney came out hands down the winner, I think Bachman and Gingrich were impressive as well, and Perry was given Center Stage to show what a radical he can be. Perry will shoot himself in the foot with Social Security, or some other "Constitution" thing. Perry and the vaccine thing and the in state tuition for alians will be his down fall, along with his Social Security views from his book. Then if he changes his views, he is a "Flip-Flopper" like Romney was labeled in the last election. The fact is Romney nor Perry are "Flip-Floppers", people don't understand what they meant when they said or wrote what they said or wrote. Perry didn't mean, Social Security was a "Ponzy Scheme" as in, get rid of it, he meant it needs to be phased out over time!

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:33 a.m.

re: Manny - A flip-flop is when you start at a position, move to another position (flip), and then come back to your original position (flop). I don't mind people who change their minds (flip), but if they come back to their original position (flop) it brings up two concerns in my mind: perhaps they weren't diligent in their original research and mind-change (which calls to question their judgment and decision making ability) or they were just playing the political winds. I don't believe assigning either of those concerns or the title "flip-flopper" is appropriate for someone who has just changed their mind from a position to another. I think some of us would call the "growth and learning" rather than flip-flopping.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:34 a.m.

As a conservative I liked Cain, Bachmann and Gingrich last night. (Admittedly, I would never vote for Newt and Cain could never get elected.)
    The winner last night was, "None of the above," and I don't mean Palin.
    I keep hoping there is someone out there with a conservative foundation, military experience and a successful career in business.
    Am I asking for too much?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:39 a.m.

To "Manny Being Manny | 10:39 a.m." Perry is still against SS. What he wants to do is to phase out SS. That way current and near retirees will get their SS benefits, but future generations will not have to deal with the mess that is SS.

I only hope that the Republicans come up with a good canidate, not just somebody who isn't Obama.

• David King Layton, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:47 a.m.

CougarKeith | 11:03 a.m. Sept. 13, 2011
    "I think Ron Paul needs to give it up, and get out of the race"

Why should Ron Paul give it up when he is actually saying something? He just doesn't pay lip service to small government, he actually believes it. Why should he give up when he is polling third nationally and is seeing an increase in support? Why he should give up when he offers a unique foreign policy message? One that troops apparently approve of, as he raises more money from the troops than Barack Obama or more than double all of his Republican competitors COMBINED. Why should he get out of the race when others are sounding like him circa 2008 on everything from the Federal Reserve and sound money to taking troops out of Afghanistan? Whether Ron Paul wins or not he is shifting the debate in his direction as more Americans discover what a principled defense of the Constitution actually looks like.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:52 a.m.

danish american:
    read the article. Hal names his sources.

• TheProudDuck Newport Beach, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:54 a.m.

I've run across plenty of hard-core conservatives -- many of whom deride Romney as a "flip-flopper" -- who absolutely idolize Winston Churchill.

They may not be aware that Churchill was an absolutely epic flip-flopper. He started out Tory (Conservative), bolted to the Liberals in the early nineteen aughts (if I remember my years right), and then went back to the Conservatives in, I think, the twenties.

"Anyone can rat," he said. "But it takes a certain amount of ingenuity to re-rat."

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 12:01 p.m.

@CougarKeith
    "The fact is Romney nor Perry are "Flip-Floppers", people don't understand what they meant when they said or wrote what they said or wrote"

"I was effectively pro-choice when I ran for office."-Mitt Romney
    Those are his words, I don't think I am misunderstanding them. People can change, to be sure, but there are a number of changes with Romney. How he feels about civil unions, how he felt about the bank bailouts, how he feels about Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reserve.

I don't have a problem with change so much as the timing and manner of his change. It always seems to have more to do with what office he is going for or what direction the political winds are headed.

• libertarian Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 12:49 p.m.

It looks like the establishment's "man" is being steered toward the nomination as expected. Ron Paul made the most sense from a Constitutional perspective, but who actually pays any attention to THAT anymore? Even the "conservative" crowd in attendance seemed clueless. Herman Cain was also great.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 1:14 p.m.

My prediction is that Mitt will win all the debates and Rick will win the nomination. The result will probably be that President is re-elected with unemployment still at 9%.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Perry or Romney - I really don't care. Just need someone to emerge to beat Obama.

• Fishback Salt Lake City, Ut
    Sept. 13, 2011 1:27 p.m.

The only winner last night was Cheesecake Factory. How can a room full of overweight 40+ yr old citizens be against health care when we are the ones who are going to pay for their cocktail of medication required to treat their diabetes and coronary disease. The inherit racism and inhumanity displayed last night was a terrible indictment on our country. If the GOP decides to cede the election to this mob known as Tea Party, we can look forward to another 4 years of executive incompetence and partisan grandstanding by both parties.

• Bereal MADERA, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Kudos to Mitt Romney! He was totally presidential in his delivery and articulate in his responses on the issues. He is the man for the job and what America needs at this time.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:07 p.m.

OK, so to me it sounded kind of sexist when Perry said he would bring his beautiful wife, that turned me off. Will she try to outdo Michelle in being the fashion queen? I actually called Perry's office before he decided to run, asking that he run, I regret that now, cause I don't like him. I was shocked that people booed him, but really surprised when they booed Ron Paul, cause he is adored by the Tea Party, but to accuse this nation for being responsible for 9-11, so wrong, he might as well quit now. I do agree with the article that Perry is helping Romney to be better and I am liking seeing him be more aggressive and less passive. We need someone strong to not only protect our nation but our economy. I think I have finally decided that Romney is who I want, I love Gingrich, but he won't win. I do hope that Romney use these people if he becomes president, they all have things to offer.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:24 p.m.

The "Experts" are nothing more than propogandists.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:26 p.m.

How about voting for a candidate who is the best for this country and not for a candidate who you think can win just because the media says they can?

• floridian navarre, fl
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Let me get this straight -- the current GOP-presidential front runner is someone from Texas who used "stimulus" funds to balance his state's budget, which means that was the only way he could offset the $6Billion shortfall. So, as President of the country, if elected, would it appear that he'd be willing to do the same with the federal budget, that is, run a deficit or borrow the money? Actions speak louder than words, Governor Perry, and, IMO, we do not need another spender-in-chief. Mr. Romney had four years out of four years of balanced budgets. Actions DO speak louder than words! Romney/Rubio in 2012!

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 4:24 p.m.

I am definitely in favor of Romney for President. I think some of the other candidates might be good as VP. I like many of Cain's ideas, but I don't think he has enough experience to be President, but might be good in an office dealing with finances. I love to hear Newt's comments. He is not afraid to say what he thinks, and I believe he could be a good VP, but might not be electable, since he is part of the established politico in Washington. He, however, would have more foreign relations and military/defense experience than some of the others I'm familiar with. Romney has both domestic and foreign business/financial experience, and knows how the local, national, and world economy functions. I believe he is the one we need right now. If he surrounded himself with good people who have expertise in areas that he lacks, it would be a great team. His public speaking skills are improving. I've been a little surprised at his awkwardness early on, considering all the years he has spent speaking in many different settings. Frankly, Ron Paul makes me a little nervous.

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:27 p.m.

Romney is looking more and more like the best option. He seems like the most level-headed, even-handed candidate. I don't like everything about him, but there is a lot of good there. He would be much better economically.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:31 p.m.

Hmmmm.....Romney's 4 for 4, eh?

Wow, that's gotta tick off the anti-Mormons!

Go Romney, go!

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:35 p.m.

RNC needs MORE picks, these stink.

Rick Perry and Mitt Romney might have traded punches about Social Security during last night's Republican presidential debate, but Michele Bachmann's and Newt Gingrich's focus on Obamacare and the economy was the high point of the evening, Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday. Why do we have to settle for the fact that this is a two-man race?. Limbaugh asked. There are only two of them up there that I would have a problem being elected president of the United States. The conservative talk-show host said GOP candidates Jon Hunstman and Ron Paul should take one for the team. The first conclusion I came to, Huntsman and Ron Paul need to quit the Republican Party, join the Democratic Party and run against Obama and then everything get's cleaned up, he said. The questions we got from the tea party made me feel like I was home last night. It was an upper. I had a tough time going back to the football game. Limbaugh said Perry seemed to get tired toward the end of the debate, searching word by word for the word to say. Gingrich was like the adult in the room.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:45 p.m.

In the last Presidential election, it seemed too few Americans really thought much about their vote for President. Pres. Obama promised to solve all my, all everyone's problems, and that was enough for many. I'm concerned their are only 29 comments on this article, while a sports article will quickly rack up many more.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:51 p.m.

I am no Republican, but I am so thankful that Mitt (and others) are showing the country this guy (Perry) for what he is. I am an Obama man all the way, but one thing I'm sure of is that Mitt is at least a good man. I feel sorry that the Tea Party (in all likelihood) will eventually hold that against him.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:54 p.m.

RNC needs MORE picks, these stink, they better put better out there, or it'll be Obama come 2012.

Here's how CNN's analysts and contributors saw the debate:

Gloria Borger, CNN chief political analyst: "I think that Mitt Romney started chipping away at the economic miracle of the state of Texas. And it's clear he's going to continue to go back at that. He said, you know, when you're dealt four aces, it's easy to win the hand. And I remember that happening with [1988 Democratic presidential candidate] Michael Dukakis, talking about the 'Massachusetts Miracle.' They started chipping away at that, it was a big problem for him."

Erick Erickson, CNN contributor and RedState . com blogger: "I think this may be the first debate where Mitt Romney didn't come out the clear winner. Perry needed to do well. I think he did well.

Paul Begala, CNN contributor and Democratic strategist: "This is, in fact, I think long-term, strategically, the real Achilles heel for governor Perry, that is where Michele Bachmann took it she took it to 'crony capitalism.' She's trying to suggest that Rick Perry will depart from conservative values if there is money to be made for lobbyists.

• lagalong MIDVALE, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Personally, I was very disappointed with the lack of dignity and respect Romney and Perry displayed. I don't think either of them would make a good president for our country. I am pro-women, but I feel sorry for Michelle Bachmann because she seems to be living/speaking of a ferry tale. Unfortunately, she sounds like another Sara Palin. Michelle needs to study some more on the relations between U S of America and the rest of the world. I had hoped for more from Huntsman, because in my opinion, he would be better than Romney or Perry. I hope he gains some speed on all this. I am a democrat, but when Huntsman was Governor of Utah he did a great job. He did not let religion/or church dictate what was best for the State of Utah.

• lagalong MIDVALE, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Sorry. In my last comment re: Michelle Bachmann the spelling should be "fairy tale".

• Mariner ALPINE, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 6:16 p.m.

Mrs. Bachman on Today Show said a lady came up to her and told her that her daughter was now "retarded" because of gardisil immunization.
    I do not agree with Perry's executive order but did Bachman really quote one lady who's daughter is supposedly retarded from an immunization? Preventing HPV and cervical cancer is a huge concern and should not be dropped from discussion or treatment because of a stupid executive order. What educated person makes a comment like she did and expects to be elected?

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 7:48 p.m.

Chris got 23 recommendations for saying

Daffy
    Mickey

As long as it's not barack"

1. I find it bizarre that citizens would foist a poor candidate and poor leader on the union, just out of pique about another leader. That how we got Bush43, who yearned so much to be a 'war-time' president, like the people in history books, that he led us into a war over false intelligence. War-time president. His war lasted the longest of all US history. Know why? They never intended to leave.

2. do you 24 posters really think Daffy/Perry can win a national election?

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Rick Perry looks bizarre on stage. It appears he is auditioning for Saturday Night Live with all his shrugs, hand motions, smirks, and such.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 9:51 p.m.

It doesn't matter if the experts say Romney won, People of the Republican party will once again fall for a folksy fire talking phony who will claim to be for smaller government and then go on a spending spree again.

National debt
    Reagan 2.4 Trillion
    GH Bush 4 Trillion
    GW Busg 6 Trillion

Romney is the only Republican I believe will not balloon spending but he will have to spend to get us out of recession and stabilize the economy. As a financial guy, he knows this.

I do not like how all the Republicans are once again calling for deregulations of the baks so they can mess up our country again.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Fish inquires: How can a room full of overweight 40+ yr old citizens be against health care when we are the ones who are going to pay for their cocktail of medication required to treat their diabetes and coronary disease?

the operative premise is that adolescents will not accept anyone telling them they have to do anything/something.

since many people are stuck in the adolescent phase of emotional development, its easy to manipulate them with propaganda about MANDATES. Nevermind that we pay 10 times as much when we all have to use our hard earned tax money for some poor person to get their HC at the ER.

They are not actually against HC per se. They are against being made to have insurance and they are against the state providing free health care to persons in need, and especially when those persons in need are illegal immigrants.

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:01 p.m.

The way I see it, the nation has two serious and pressing needs. First, we need someone to lead on the economic issues. Obama flat out doesn't have the background for this. This is evidenced by his latest 'jobs' proposal. It's aimed at making work for a specific group of people in the construction industry. It doesn't do anything to solve the problem long term. To date, Mitt Romney is the only candidate I've seen who has actually articulated a plan. Huntsman sort of did, but not too specific.

The second issue is that for the past 3 administrations, we have had VERY polarizing figures in office who have pushed people into camps. "You are either with us or against us" or "punish your enemies." Clinton repulsed people's sense of morals. Bush blundered through 8 years. Obama promised to fundamentally remake America...a country that has been great for a very long time. People don't want it fundamentally remade. Romney is not a firebrand. He's not a wacko. He can appeal to most people. He's the right guy.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:39 p.m.

As a business owner (small) I can tell you I was much better off in 2008 than i am now in 2011. My sales have dropped nearly 25% as a result of this recession. Unless people can follow and trust a strong president (unlike obama) I fear this recession will continue for another 2-3 year. Whether you like or dislike Romney he at least can look at this country like it should, as a business. You can't spend more than you make, you'll go broke. Bigger government means more spending, and that means more taxes you and I have to pay, or the country goes further in debt. You can only borrow so much before the bank says, "sorry thats it". I understand that in 2008 people felt a kind of "kennedy" type trust with obama, and due to him being black it might have felt like a new direction for voters. In nearly three years though, the only direction I've seen the country go, is down. I hope people can see that Obama isn't the answer in 2012.

• Indian Expat Bangalore, Karnataka
    Sept. 14, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Anyone else find it curious that Romney is four for four in the debates yet trails Perry in the polls by over 10 points? Clearly it seems that these debates don't really matter and we Americans elect people based on likeability alone. Very scary thought.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 14, 2011 2:50 a.m.

The right wing doesn't want a level headed and educated person like Romney, they want someone who will spit fire and rile them up. Perry will beat Romney in the south by playing the true christian card, watch for it

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:02 a.m.

To "JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt | 9:51 p.m." lets get some facts inserted into your post.

First of all, Presidents do not set the budget, that is congress. If you look at Congress's record over the past 30 years, the greatest deficit spending has occured when Democrats controlled Congress. Don't go blaming republicans for the mess that Democrats have caused.

Next, it wasn't deregulation that got us into this mess. It was OVERREGULATION that got us here. Prior to the 1930's, there were few sub-prime loans. Then, under FDR we had regulations to loosen standards for loans, then again under Carter and Clinton those standards were loosened more. It was a direct result of government regulations that we had so many bad loans going out. If you look at the loans that banks have made since 2008, they are now more careful who gets loans. They are more careful because of deregulation.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Sept. 14, 2011 9:58 a.m.

After reading many comments on these boards about Romney for President, it seems that a regular theme is mormons v anti-mormons. I think that members of the church REALLY need to take a step back and try to see the forest thru the trees here. If you are serious about your conservative views, take your rose-colored religious affiliation glasses off and support a candidate who could actually win the office of the President. Are republicans ever going to learn that the more they remain divided, the less chance in heck they have to put a candidate in office?

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 11:02 a.m.

This isn't American Idol, folks. Who would be crazy enough to hire someone the way we select a president?
    Every serious candidate ought to have a library of white papers on at least a dozen critical topics of the day. Devoid of the pressure to deliver a sound bite, these documents would explain their approach to these problems.
    But we vote for the guy with the best one-liners.
    ...and it shows.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 14, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Romney is trailing Obama in national polls, although he fares better than Perry does.

Neither Romney nor Perry are worthy of the office.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 14, 2011 3:11 p.m.

"I promise you, outside of the "red states", there are still a plurality who prefer the president to Goofy and Daffy."

@greenman108:

You are a good water carrier for your boy Alfred E. Newman, and here in the "blue state" of CA there are nearly enough (R)'s to turn things around. Maybe sooner than later the way things are going under Alfred.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 4:35 p.m.

To "Pagen | 3:55 p.m." Obama hasn't held unemployment steady. When he took office. According to the BLS website, when Obama took office unemployment was at 8.2%, by October that year it reached 10.1%. In February and March of this year it dipped below 9%.

For everything that you hate about Bush, you should realize that Obama is no different, except in magnitude. They both have the same end goal in mind, the only difference is their rate of travel. Where Bush was walking there, Obama sprints.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:10 p.m.

"RedShirt | 8:02 a.m. Sept. 14, 2011
    USS Enterprise, UT

First of all, Presidents do not set the budget, that is congress."

Well guess who signs that bill for spending into law....Reagan, Bush, Bush 2, if they were gatekeepers they swung the gates wide open.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:18 p.m.

@ Mormon cowboy
    In case you have not noticed, Mitt is slightly more qualified and has a bit more savvy than you possess. He was way too smart to make un-winnable issues part of his campaign for Governor of liberal Massachusetts. Yet according to the web site "Evangelicals for Mitt" he succeeded in governing from right of center. By avoiding letting un-winnable issues such as abortion and gay rights dictate the political dialogue in the race for Governor, he won the state house, thus positioning himself where he wanted to be and he was capable of working to curtail abortion and gay rights. Every little bit helps. Extremely wise strategy. Mitt has far more tact, leadership, and moxie than any other candidate.

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:56 p.m.

@Kami

I wasn't aware you could tell who was LDS vs non-LDS on these boards. I am a Romney supporter not because he's a Mormon. (Although you can count his experience as a Bishop and Stake President as huge pluses for experience.)

Here's the field as I see it:

Romney: Successful businessman, hugely successful Olympic organizer, some experience in public service (but not too much.) Fairly middle of the road in temper and judgement.

Perry: Articulate George W. Bush.

Bachman: Polarizing figure who would be better to stay put in congress.

Obama: No practical experience before office (and it shows now.) Left wing ideologue posing as a centerist. Has no earthly clue what to do on the economy.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 9:41 p.m.

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 10:33 p.m.

@Hutterite

"In a way, I hope he wins. All the way to the top. That way, a republican and a mormon can, at once, also fail to fix the economy."

Brilliant. Is this the, "If I can't have it then NOBODY CAN!" mentality? And what will you do when he does get elected and the economy does rebound? Move to France?

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:17 a.m.

Wake up, Republicans. If you want Obama out of there you have to nominate someone who doesn't offend the independent voters. As an independent, I would support Romney over Obama. But Perry is Bush on steroids and I wouldn't support him. I'd just abstain again as I did in Obama v.s. McCain.

• Joy Steele mesa, AZ
    Sept. 15, 2011 2:19 a.m.

No one takes Ron Paul seriously, because he said he didn't want to be president after he lost in 2008. After he lost he was laughting because Mitt lost too. IMO he wanted to split the vote. He's not Republician and doesn't like them either.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Sept. 15, 2011 8:52 a.m.

Fishback: Your charge of racism is out of place and ridiculous. Nothing racist was said in the debates. This is an old ploy of the liberals when they can't win on the issues, start crying "racism." Of course I oppose any form of racism. But being from a minority group does not mean that attacks on one's policies or performance are "racist."

GiuseppeG: Excellent point about the difference between vaccilating back and forth (flip-flopping) as opposed to changing one's views. Reagan was a Democrat at one time, but he became one of the best Republican presidents in history (though Lincoln was clearly the best). Anyone who says they will never change views is arrogantly assuming that he/she has all of the right answers and can never learn anything more.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 16, 2011 6:56 a.m.

Mitt continues to demonstrate an ability to rise above the challenges of his campaign. He's leading the way in mature and sensible leadership. I think he's a great candidate for the top job in the country. I hope he wins the nomination, because we deserve the best--most thoughtful--candidates at this time to help our country come together and get out of this financial morasse. I imagine even Barak Obama will benefit from having a solid and issues focused candidate against which to debate and run against--ultimately the American people win, when we elect more than a slogan.