Utah Utes football: Utes loses to USC 23-14 in first Pac-12 game

Comments

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Sept. 10, 2011 7:34 p.m.

please Jordan Wynn just is terrible!!

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Sept. 10, 2011 8:35 p.m.

Dres Anderson big play coming

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Sept. 10, 2011 8:41 p.m.

FLIPPER JR!!!

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Sept. 10, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Utah played well, but this isn't the Mt West. USC is a middle of the Pac team, sort of like Air Force. Luckily, USC doesn't play Stanford or Oregon, the BYU and TCU equivalents. Kyle Wittingham outcoached Kiffin, but USC's players are just a little bit better athletes. Good debut for Utah in the Pac-12 though

• HarperValleyPTA Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:02 p.m.

Sad to see the offensive line cave on the field goal attempt. Tough game. At least they looked better than last week.

• SouthernUtahUte Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:02 p.m.

Well.... It was good to see Wynn take some shots down field. There are some positives to take from this game. Offense looked better at times, but still a ton of work to do. The defense was very good, and kept us in the game until the very last play. Officiating was a tad odd at points... Don't know quite what to think about that yet.

BYU next week boys; should be an interesting game.

GO UTES!!!!

PS- USC must have watched tape on last years Utah vs BYU game, because now we know how it feels.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Predictions for the BYU/Utah game next week:

One Team 6
    Other team 3

Heaps and Wynn - not much.
    Both Defenses - outstanding.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:08 p.m.

Utah lost the game, but showed they belonged. We have a lot of work to do but we'll be fine. Jordan showed a lot of improvement over week one with 238 yards passing. We had only 85 yards rushing. The defense kept us in the game. We knew special teams was a problem and that lost it for us, but we can improve there as well.

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:08 p.m.

Good game Utes! Tough losses for us both. You guys layed USC very well, we will see you next week. Good luck Utes, Go Cougars

• tfcoug TWIN FALLS, ID
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:15 p.m.

Lorenzo I couldn't agree with you more. Doman is more frustrating to me than Anae has been the last few years. We have too much talent on this team to be coming up short on so many drives. If I were Bronco I'd give him one more game and then make some changes in the play calling responsabilities. Perhaps Dupaix could have a shot at it.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:18 p.m.

Tough loss for Utah.

Utah's defense played well in capitalizing on USC mistakes, but the front 7 of Utah's defense was manhandled, I thought. I don't have the exact stats, but I think Utah's defense gave up over 400 yards. The Utes won't win too many games giving up so many yards.

Good comeback by Wynn. Although he wasn't "stellar", he did much better.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:18 p.m.

By the way - I was happy utah got the bad call overturned with 20 seconds to go. It's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to lose with the help of corrupt officiating. utah came up a little short, but earned some respect.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:22 p.m.

I really hoped you would have this one, well, better luck the rest of the year. I think you'll be just fine with your D.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:22 p.m.

I am seeing improvement for Wynn. I wish he were 6 inches taller. Looked uncomfortable but he did compete. Made very few mistakes, no interceptions. Sets up for a good game. Two scent defenses against two lousy, struggling offenses. USC was huge at every position. Had our chances.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:27 p.m.

Utah has no Quarterback.

BYU has no coaches. Yawwn. Anyone want to buy my BYU season tickets?

No games played at home, and I'm already packin it in...

is it me? or is it the boring game I'm seeing?

Right, Robert Anae was soooo horrible.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes. You had a chance and did ok this evening.

Surprised by my smack talk?

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Tough loss for Utah but Utes were in the game with a chance to tie the game.

"4th-1, USC25 14:15 J. Wynn passed to L. Matthews to the left for no gain"

this looked like a loss of 3 pts that Utah could have scored.
    I did not like the call of this play when Utah trailed only 10-0 early in Q2.

Next week's game looks like a 7-3 Utes W.
    Utah's defense will again play a great game.
    Wynn and offense needs to improve much more.

• SUPERTONGANMAN SANDY, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Big R, You are totally right about everything! Utah played well and fought hard till the end... but my USC Trojans come up on top for the win. Go USC!

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:33 p.m.

BYU will have trouble with Utah's playmakers, Anderson, Christopher etc. If Utah had a qb that could actually put some zip on the ball they would have won. So many times when the ball would leave Wynn's hands I would think "look at that duck wobble" but the Ute wr's were so wide open it worked any way. With BYU's offense playing the way they are it could mean big trouble next week.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:39 p.m.

Please tell me why we let Anae go?? From the beginning I stated that Doman wasn't cut out for this, and He proved me right tonight. BYU has the athletes to take them to the next level, too bad the offensive coordinator is mediocre at best!!

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Good game Utah and USC. It was ugly at times, but it was hard fought. I feel Utah showed it belongs in the Pac 12 against a USC team that is going to have at least a 9 win season. Utes played solid against a solid team. If Utah plays this hard all year they will play for the pac 12 championship considering USC is disqualified from the postseason.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Seriously, Doman is more predictable than Anae ever was. He likes the "throw away" downs and then does the little swing pass for negative yardage. Wasn't he supposed to open the offense up? Wasn't he supposed to bring back the BYU offense of old? If Bronco can't see that Doman is stinking it up, he needs to wake up.

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:08 p.m.

Next week score: 0 - 0.

Neither offense is capable of moving the ball. Total offense BYU - 53 yards, Utah 58 yards.

The game is called at midnight, after 10 overtimes, to keep from playing on Sunday.

Both offenses should be ASHAMED.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:09 p.m.

All in all it is still a loss. No moral victories. Was glad the game did not end on that horrible ball mark though.

Will be an epic game next week.

Go Utes!

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:12 p.m.

CWEB | 9:27 p.m. Sept. 10, 2011
    Orem, UT
    "Utah has no Quarterback.

BYU has no coaches. Yawwn. Anyone want to buy my BYU season tickets?"

Doman is a new Off. Coord. Give him time, BYU is playing their toughest part of the schedule. If you have three tickets in a good area, I'll take them off your hands.

• daddman54 FARMINGTON, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Sure seems like the Cougar fans are tougher on their team than any Utah troll could be but fans on both sides are frustrated. This next week is going to be interesting on the boards, the game may actually end up being anticlimactic.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:19 p.m.

"Congrats to the Utes. You had a chance and did ok this evening. It was much better than I expected and Wynn moved the ball very well. Honestly I thought the Utes executed better than the Cougars tonight.Surprised by my smack talk?"

Why yes, sammyg. But it's a welcome sight, this objectivity thing. However, I thought there were times BYU executed very well...the parts I saw flipping back and forth between games.

Like the Utes, the COugars seemed to suffer to many 2nd and 3rd and longs....

Although I would have liked better results than the "L", it was a very entertaining football game. As far as USC packing it in and not playing with emotion, I didn't see that. There players were working hard. I thought Utah had them, and had they been able to tie it with the FG, I would have like the Utes in OT. Oh well.

I'm thinking it will be an exciting game next week.

Go Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Utes were impressive and inspiring but came up short. Cougs imploded and their fans are sorely disappointed. Tough night, but it feels good to be able to keep my chin up about my team's performance.

I'm not at all blaming the game on this, but I was more than a little upset at the officiating early in the 3rd quarter when Utah's defense received a pass interference penalty deep in their own territory and after the play USC's Robert Woods threw a punch, but somehow Utah alone was flagged for a personal foul. Later on, a couple defensive linemen continued to bend JW4's back awkwardly at the bottom of the pile after the play was over, which injured him and kept him out of a couple Utah possessions. On a punt, John Martinez jumped on Brian Blechen and took swings at him. None of these received penalties, yet they were all actions worthy of ejecting players. USC continues to show their level of class after attempts to "clean up" their program. It can't change anything for us, but for the sake of doing the right thing, I hope the league officials review some of these plays.

• Info Man South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:30 p.m.

Utah was a huge underdog and fought hard to have a chance in this one. They played USC! BYU almost pulled one out in Texas! Should have won. Both teams represented the state well. Looking forward to a great game next week. BYU looks a bit tougher to me... we shall see.

• utefan56 st george, utah
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:31 p.m.

tough loss for both Utah and BYU it will be a dog fight next week! PS.. please don't tell your DBs our QB throws soft fluttering passes to his receivers...lol

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Why is there so much talk about BYU and Doman in the comments on the Ute's game? Isn't there an article on the BYU game?

I'm disappointed the Utes lost, because they had chances to win this game and as I feared the kicking game failed in the final minutes.

Still, as I have said all along, if we keep it close it will prove were are good enough to play in this conference. We kept it close and had chances to win the game. It was also good to see Jordan Wynn and the offense actually open up and move the ball against a good defense.

All in all I'm encouraged and saw improvement from the last game.

And so we start rivalry week. Go Utes!!

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:34 p.m.

daddman54 | 10:15 p.m. Sept. 10, 2011
    FARMINGTON, UT
    "Sure seems like the Cougar fans are tougher on their team than any Utah troll could be but fans on both sides are frustrated."

Most of the whinners, for both teams, will change their minds in two or three weeks. Neither team will play a team tougher then today. Next week, the Cougs should feel better after they beat the Utes and the rest of their games. The Utes will feel better after they win all their games after the BYU game.

Best of luck to both teams.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 10:36 p.m.

ARGH! Kick the field goal and take the points, Kyle!

Would have been a different game if the Utes could have gone into halftime tied at 10 - 10. I imagine Kyle is second-guessing himself on several questionable coaching decisions tonight.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Very hard played game by two similiar team. Both have good defenses and questionable offenses. But, you have to love how the U team continue to fight right to the end. To bad they came up a little short.

• Matt1986 MIDVALE, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:09 p.m.

I don't know what info the Deseret News is going by, but the final score was 17-14, not 23-14. The sideline infraction (excessive celebration) penalty negated the TD. It is a new rule this year. If you commit an excessive celebration penalty on a TD, said TD is negated. It is designed to stop teams from commit unsportsmanlike excessive celebration penalties.

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:20 p.m.

a couple differences for the y fans:

BYU got shut out for the second have against texas, and had no "chance" of winning.

Utah shut out USC for the second half(Much, much, more prolific and capable offense than Texas, USC has one of the countries best qb's, texas used three tonight!)

Utah had a potential game tying field goal blocked with 11 seconds left (so they had a "chance" to go to OT, Texas took a knee- hahahaha)

Utah has the best defense BYU has faced this year, and heaps has already thrown 3 int's and byu has only scored 18 points on offense.

good luck next week cougs.

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:25 p.m.

The final score was 17-14, NOT 23-14.

• whoisthisguy salt Lake City, uT
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Wow i'm am in awe of how much positive talk Wynn is getting after this game. What a poor performance, sure his stats read no interceptions and around 250 yards passing but this is 100% attributed to great wide receiver play. How many times do they have to bail out Wynn on a terrible pass? I have never seen such a weak arm and to say that he put some zip on the ball on some mid range passes is laughable. Sure Chows trying to put a little confidence in the kid by comparing him to Ty Detmer, but he's going to need a lot more than confidence to succeed. His side arm wounded ducks look like a little leaguer scared of the rush and just flinging it out there. Whoever is the "eye for talent" on the recruiting end of things for utah's quarterbacks needs some help, we're in trouble in the pac 12 if we continue to recruit quarterbacks to the liking of Wynn. Good luck the rest of the season, good work receivers, white, offensive line and the defense, I don't think there is much hope for Wynn.

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:33 p.m.

At first I was really disappointed by the losses of BYU and Utah. I think because both teams played well enough to have won either game. The more i think about it I am still bummed, but you know for years people have told both programs that they were not fast enough, or strong enough etc. But bot BYU and Utah drove into two of the most storied programs in NCAA history and both almost pulled it off. Both programs have a great shot to do well moving forward. As always looking forward to this next game. Good luck Utes, Go cougars!

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:35 p.m.

BYU 45
    runaway utes 3

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:41 p.m.

OK, I'm going to try this again since apparently I wasn't supposed to mention the website where I read this but the final score actually IS 23 - 14.

For some reason, it was decided two hours after the game concluded that the final touchdown after the blocked field goal did indeed count.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:47 p.m.

Utah lost to a PAC-12 team?

I predict more of the same for our little brothers up north....

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 10, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Tough night...

Watched BYU blow a lead and lose a heart breaker to Texas, then switched over to Versus to catch the end of the Utah game. (As much as I didn't want to, I found myself pulling for the Utes.) That game had a rough ending as well.

Should be a good game next week. Looking forward to it!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:02 a.m.

Attended the game. Classiest fans I've ever been around and even better than ND fans. I can't tell you how many fans high fived me and told me "great game," and screamed at me about the officials overuling the fourth quarter spot. It' hurts to lose this one, but the game was a stinking riot and the Coliseum rocks! Without question--the Utes belong.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:06 a.m.

We would have rolled you guys weren't for our turnover's in the red. You guys were fortunate. SX and Tex are rebuilding programs and not as strong as they used to be.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:20 a.m.

First of all, I have to say this. Did anyone else think that the last blocked field goal looked, well, familiar? What goes around comes around. . .?

Anyone, both losses were hard. I am still hoping that at least one team will get better by next week so we can at least have an interesting game otherwise it'll be a defensive battle with no points. Boooooring. Anyway, I am glad that we are going into this game with equal records. That should make it fun. See y'all next week.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:27 a.m.

Ok, Jordan Wynn did alright, not bad actually. People fail to recognize that half of the time he is running for his life out there. Our offense live lost the battle in the trenches single-handedly. If a QB can't feel comfortable in the pocket, there is no way he can feel comfortable to make a throw. The Utes did alright, we got lucky on those turnovers, they kept us in the game. I'm a huge Ute fan, but I think it is safe to say that we were outplayed in every aspect. Those turnovers saved out butts. I'm proud of their attitude though, they fought til the end. We need to make some major adjustments up front for the BYU game so they don't exploit us like USC did. Got to hand it to the Utes though, keep fighting!

Go Utes!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:36 a.m.

@forreal people

I'm assuming you're just a Y hater and didn't actually watch either of the games tonight.

So allow me to correct you on some of your points.

"BYU has been shutout for over 100 minutes of the first 120 minutes of football this year." Not sure how you figure that, since BYU has scored in 4 of the 8 quarters it's played in.

"BYU got shut out for the second have against texas" BYU did not get shut out in the second HALF, they scored a FG in the 3rd QTR.

"Utah shut out USC for the second half." Another false statement, since USC scored the game-winning TD in the second half.
    "BYU had no "chance" of winning...Utah had a potential game tying field goal blocked with 11 seconds left" LOL, Utah never led in their game against the Trojans. BYU led for 52 minutes in Austin. Unfortunately, it's a 60 minute game.

"Utah has the best defense BYU has faced this year" Unfortunately for U, so does BYU.

Anyhoo, just had to set you straight there, forreal. Should be a great game next week.

Go Cougars!

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 1:04 a.m.

Tough finish for Utah. No idea why they don't take a shot at the TD with 11 seconds to go. Sick of the talk about Utah needing to prove they belong...clearly they can compete in the Pac. Nobody seems to ask about dropping the persistent cellar dwellers from the conference, right?

Should be another tight rivalry game next week. Hope we all enjoy watching defense though, could be a snoozer when it comes to entertainment value.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 1:15 a.m.

@ImaUteFan

Well the gambling facilities had an 8.5 spread and losing that touchdown really hurt them so they needed to fix that problem. Heh, well, regardless of reason for it it doesn't really matter anyway. Loss by 3 or 9 either way doesn't change the fact that we had the game tying play sitting right there at the end.

As for next week... 12 of the last 14 games between the two teams have been within a touchdown. I expect that to be the case again and since we're trading home wins lately I'll give BYU the 20-17 prediction (though as a Ute fan i'd rather it go the other way).

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 2:50 a.m.

I thought Utah played well, they were one play away from winning it. I don't think anyone thought Utah would go undefeated, and at USC is probably their hardest game on paper the whole year. It was a good showing by Utah, just not a good result.

I also think Wynn equaled Barkley, yes Barkley had more yards and a higher completion % but Barkley also had a running game and a key pick while Wynn played mistake free without much help.

What we learned from this game is that Utah's defense is legit, while their offense could be good enough to win the pac 12 south.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 11, 2011 5:33 a.m.

Dudes...
    The Ute fans for the most part saw the game as I did...
    1. USC played at home and played above average. They should end the season in the top 25.
    2. Kiffin while he embarrassed himself with off field antics while at Oakland and Tennessee he is a great recruiter and had better athletes.
    3. Whittingham is a better coach.
    4. Utah is good now and could be great next year.

Now, can the "filter lady" at the Dnews filter all the comments about the school down south and the coach firing comments for us more sensible Ute fans?

Utes will have a winning season, will go to a nonBCS bowl...should win and will be better for it next year.

P.S. Doc Hill...don't need any coaching changes right now...thanks

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 11, 2011 6:55 a.m.

FYI - ESPN explains that the touchdown was later counted and displays the final score as

USC - 23
    Utah - 14

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 11, 2011 7:32 a.m.

Welcome boys to the big league boys..... no more 9 and 10 win romps through sub par teams. Sure there were wins in the past, and there will surely be big wins in the future... but you are going to see more games like this week in and week out.

I will not deny it, I do root for BYU - oh and I root for the U because I attended both. But the Y gets its dancing through the fields schedule from here on out, and will likely win a lot of games from here on out. The U, they play with the big boys for the rest of the season. Any comparisons from this point forward will be moot because schedules will not match up.

Good luck to both teams - tough losses to both. But all in all, what a great weekend of football. It is so great were back into fall sports.

Anyone see Chris B running around?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 7:48 a.m.

Two things to note

1- coach made a huge mistake in first half by not kicking a fg in the first half... And
    2- pac 12 refereeing is horrible - 3 calls overruled in 4 replay reviews

(note that all 3 were originally in USCs favor -and the last one completely destroyed utah's momentum.)

if refs were decent and utah kicked that first opportUnity for a fg, the game would have been different - maybe utah would have won, but usc might have also reacted differently and completely rout the UTES, unfortunately we'll never know

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 7:59 a.m.

THe final score was gIven back to usc by a mistake in two conflicting rules

1) if an unsportsmanlike penalty is called prior to the score, then the score is negated, however
    2) there is another rule that requires utah to decline the penalty because it would have extended the game but would not have changed the outcome.

I think the deciding factor in this case was that the unsportsmanlike penalty does not stop Play! Só the penalty of a lost td only occurs if utah accepts. Had it been a game winning score, then they would have negated the td

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 8:01 a.m.

Starting the season 2-1 isn,t that bad...

• Dr Chad in DC ALEXANDRIA, VA
    Sept. 11, 2011 8:05 a.m.

Here is the biggest problem for Utah, our QB Wynn does not have the ability to throw the ball with the velocity and accuracy required for a Division 1 NCAA team. I am amazed that the coaches still put him on the field when it is obvious that there are many high school QBs who throw with a lot more velocity and with a release point that does not result in several passes being knocked down by defensive linemen. We need to start another QB, or it will be a long season. Tough to come back form shoulder surgery for a QB!! Please Kyle and Norm make the change.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 8:37 a.m.

USC played who last week, oh ya Minn, oh wait Minn lost to New Mexico State yesterday, ouch!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 8:38 a.m.

ImaUteFan,

And what if he missed that field goal attempt just like he did at the end of the game? We don't have a reliable kicking game this year.

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:26 a.m.

a couple differences for the y fans:

good luck next week cougs.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:30 a.m.

To All,

I am really worried about Chris B. Has he posted yet? Please, someone go and check on him.

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:31 a.m.

true coug, I watched both games. And you don't know how I figured the shut out time? have you ever watched football? Lets sat a team does not score any points until the final 4:38 of the game, that means they were shut out for 60-4:38=55:22minutes. I was being generous with my numbers, figure it out for yourself. The Y got shut out by a terrible team for the first 55:22 minutes at ole miss. Simple enough for you?

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:31 a.m.

I'll have to put my money on Utah next week. Doman is already trembling in his boots and planning to be even more boring and predictable. Just run the ball at Uale and there will be no tackling. Don't worry about blitz's, Bronco forgot how to call them. Defenders just have to follow Heap's eyes to know where he is passing and DiLuigi will "tippy toe" so much in the backfield, he'll be easy to tackle. Quezada and Kariya will block well but won't get to run the ball. All in all, I look for another disappointing outing by the Cougars. So much talent, so little coaching and heart.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Wynn was still horrible, his QB rating went from 133 last week to 100 this week.

Improvement? Nope.

Hey BYU fans, Doman can not go in the game and throw, run, and block for your team. Southern Illinois just put up 402 total yards, 229 yards rushing (5.9 per carry), against the mighty SEC Ol' Miss defense. SI had 4 turnovers otherwise they could have won.

BYU had 316 total yards but 91 rushing 2.9 per carry. And that is with BYU having 34:47 TOP and SI 30:57.

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Can we all get off Jordan Wynn's case. I thought he played a great game tonight with what he had. The offensive line is weak this year and it showed. USC's fast and aggressive d-line was not giving Wynn any time in the pocket. USC has the fastest and most athletic defense in the country and Utah almost beat them. If Utah played like they did last night, I think we'll definitely be competing for the south division title. You made me proud!

Go Utes!!!
    Welcome to the Pac-12!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:47 a.m.

@ Carnak | 9:05 p.m. Sept. 10, 2011

Agreed.

Neither, Utah or byu has played a complete game in 2 weeks. The team that does next week will win.

Re: niners | 9:48 p.m. Sept. 10, 2011

Oregon will roll through the conference an play either Wisconsin or Bama for the BCS title.

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:56 a.m.

My two cents: From what very little I saw, BYU was doing well in the 1st half and seemed to be dominating Texas. Not sure what happened from that point and where it all went wrong the the Cougs. As far as the Utes go, well... Utah fans should be very concerned not only about next week, but for the rest of Jordan Wynns career. He's just doesn't have what it takes to be a D-1 quarterback. He has no pocket presence, panics at the first sign of pressure, and has the worst throwing motion outside of Ute conference. His completions yesterday were largely due to diving or leaping efforts by his receiving corps. His incompletions were throws in the dirt, or 8 ft over the receivers head, or drops by USC defenders. The Ute defense is ok , but DB Keith McGill is a huge liability. He won't hit anybody and how no idea how to tackle. If John White can rush for 450 yards in Provo , the Utes have a chance. Otherwise, 38 - 10.

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2011 10:12 a.m.

@ BleedCougarBlue

"Utah lost to a PAC-12 team?

I predict more of the same for our little brothers up north".

BYU lost to a Big 12 team?

I predict an Armed Forces Bowl appearance at the end of the season for our little brothers in Provo.

Cheer up! There is always next season! haha.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 11, 2011 10:27 a.m.

2nd try

Wynn had a QB rating of 133 vs MSU.
    Wynn had a QB rating of 100 vs USC.

He went from abysmal to poor. Improvement yes, but not much.

The offense gave him plenty of time, he was just bad. For example, 4 blocked passes by the USC D-line; his throwing mechanics are just terrible.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 10:30 a.m.

@ Carnak | 9:05 p.m. Sept. 10, 2011

Truer words were never spoken.

@ niners | 9:48 p.m. Sept. 10, 2011

Oregon will roll through the Pac12 and play Wisconsin or Bama for the BCS Title.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Clearly Utah belongs in the PAC-12. Tough loss but Utah had chances to win. Wynn played much better and can build on it.

Utah wins next week.

Go Utes!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 11, 2011 11:28 a.m.

@Ticky

"Keith McGill is a huge liability. He won't hit anybody and how no idea how to tackle."

True, and here's some stats to prove it:

Keith McGill had 7 tackles (4 solo) vs USC.
    Preston Hadley had 3 tackles (2 solo) vs Texas.

BYU's defense has been good yet still has not faced a 1st string QB like USC's Barkley.

Forget about Heaps, BYU has averaged 2.9 yards per carry vs Ole Miss while Southern Illinois 5.1. Against Texas Rice was 4.3 per carry and BYU 1.9 per carry. It seems BYU does not have a running game.

Utah last year shut down BYUs running game and Wynn played 5 minutes of good offense to win. I think Wynn will need to play 6 minutes this year to win.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Just hand the ball off to White. You don't even need Wynn to win. Doman will give the game away. Doman will be the biggest asset to the Utes team next week.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Uteology

if it makes you feel better, spin away with your carefully selected and usually meaningless "statistics," but bottom line

BYU lost (16-17) on the road against #24/#21 Texas by one point, in a game the Cougars led most of the game from 9:33 1st Q until 8:46 4th Q

Utah lost (14-23) on the road against unranked USC by nine points, in a game the Utes trailed the entire game from 4:41 1st Q until the end of the game

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 2:06 p.m.

BleedCougarBlue,

Better luck next year! Your BCS dreams this year were crushed when Texas took a knee.

So sorry.

The Utes will play great against BYU. Go Utes!

• Uteology. SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Why does Utah have to be so bad this year? This could have been our big year. Instead, I think we may lose the next five and be 1-6. That stinks!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2011 2:34 p.m.

@ nunya

"thanks usc....utes thinking they were something special after that 1-0 start against montana...hahahaha, BYU didn't look great and didn't look that bad either but utes...wow, you guys are pathetic.

BYU 45
    runaway utes 3"

Thanks Texas.... cougies thinking they were going to win a national championship or play in a BCS Bowl or something like that. hahaha. Wow! byu looks pathetic and so does Jake Hypes!

Hey nunya, why don't you make a more realistic prediction. byu is not capable of blowing anybody out.

Utah 27
    ybu 24

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 3:24 p.m.

@Uteology "True, and here's some stats to prove it:

Keith McGill had 7 tackles (4 solo) vs USC.
    Preston Hadley had 3 tackles (2 solo) vs Texas."

Why are you comparing Keith McGill (a safety) to Preston Hadley (a cornerback)? Most safeties have more tackles in a game than CB's, because they're called upon to help in rush defense.

It would be better for you to compare Keith McGill (7 tackles, 4 solo) to Daniel Sorensen (8 tackles, 5 solo, 1 INT vs Texas).

The fact that Preston Hadley has only 3 tackles is a good sign, since it means that there were relatively few passes that were completed to the man he was covering. Most great CB's have very few tackles (see Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie).

But I understand your point. I don't think McGill is a liability. However, there were times during the game where he was looking for a big hit and missed the tackle because of it. But that happens to everyone.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 3:39 p.m.

@forrealpeople "Lets sat a team does not score any points until the final 4:38 of the game, that means they were shut out for 60-4:38=55:22minutes."

Lol, I'm pretty sure BYU scored with 10 mins to go in the 4th QTR against Ole Miss. We were held scoreless in the 4th QTR against Texas. That's 65 mins of scoreless football for the Cougs. So yes, we definitely have work to do on offense.

We also defensively held our opponents scoreless for about 60 out of 120 mins in both games and have led in both games that we've played in.

Pretty sure the Utes can't say the same.

I responded to all of your "differences" and the only one you can come back at me on is the weak "time held scoreless" argument where you thought that BYU only scored with 4:38 to go in the game against Ol' Miss...that pretty much took away all of your credibility :)

Go Cougars!

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 4:23 p.m.

diagnosis=out-of-your-league its. You are arguably playing the 4th place team in your conference. They are still on probation and can't even play in the lowly bell helicopter bowl. Wait until they are motivated. If you aim to be 5th place in your league, then, congratulations, you've made it. Wynn has come down with ICWC (inability to convert when it counts). Not a good thing for your starting qb to have. How did the running game do against a non FBS school? 2.1 yards per carry. Not really where you want to be.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Bleed Crimson

Utah's BCS/NC dreams also died Saturday, but, as usual, the BYU obsessed haters are more concerned about the Cougars, than they are the Utes.

btw, not one single player, coach or true BYU fan predicted that BYU would win a NC or play in a BCS bowl this year -- it was never anything more than a goal.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 5:11 p.m.

to Big R I wouldn't call BYU and TCU equivalent to Stanford or Oregon. The PAC 12 teams are far better. Utes lost to a better team. But the Utes will beat BYU on Saturday.

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 5:34 p.m.

SportsFan

Although not likely, Utah could still go to a BCS game. In fact, they could lose to BYU next week and STILL be able to achieve a BCS Bowl. It's one of the nice aspects of being in a BCS conference. Win the division and then win the conference championship and there you go!

OK - now with that cleared up...I doubt they will...but they could.

As for the game last night - it was really fun - would have been way better had the Utes won, but it was great to see them compete. Wynn was not great - but, he was tough and he made good decisions and kept us in the game.

Overall, it's great to be a Ute fan...and I think Utah stands a pretty good chance next week.

Go Utes!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 6:24 p.m.

I loved this game despite the loss. So, excited to have the Trojans at home next year.

• FL UTE LARGO, FL
    Sept. 11, 2011 6:45 p.m.

Games are won or lost on the line, and our O-line has issues. Wynn was running for his life all game.

Also, while there weren't very good replays, it looked to me like the the USC D-line just WALKED through to swat the ball down!

Otherwise, UTES actually looked semi-OK.

This week, Utah by 5:
    UTES 32
    BYU 27

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 11, 2011 7:57 p.m.

Blocked field goal, game outcome affected by poor officiating, best team lost. Sounds like the BYU Utah game last year. Really disappointing isn't it!?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Blocked fg part sounds the same, but the other things the real bass mentions don,t ring a bell

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:32 p.m.

I am not sure Utah will even be bowl eligible this year. I am sure BYU will be.

• jw_bluecoug SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 11:05 p.m.

jordan wynn is just a class act! the guy is more worried about
    his hair than winning a game.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:29 a.m.

jw_bluecoug if you mean he's more worried about honoring a family member who died of cancer and doing something good for others suffering from it, yeah you're right, that transcends the game that he plays. Good job being a class act yourself to point that out.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 12:16 p.m.

@ jw_bluecoug

wow.... stay classy buddy.