Utah Utes football: Team knows what is in store at Coliseum

Comments

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Will be fun

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:21 p.m.

I have no idea what to expect in this game. I'm going and I'm excited--but I went to the ND game last year as well. I live in LA and in talking to SC fans--they feel exactly the same way. Good luck boys! Bring your very best and you might just hang a lovely home loss on these guys as nine point underdogs. Oh, would that be sweet.

• SouthernUtahUte Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Big game. Go out there and should the whole country that we belong.

GO UTES!!!!

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:29 a.m.

The Utes should win by 2 touchdowns assuming the game has not passed Chow.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:34 a.m.

What's in store for the Utes?? A big defeat. Utah will soon find out what it is like to play an entire season of PAC games vs. 1 or 2. PAC teams will prepare more seriously as these encounters will mean more. No more BCS bowls on a fluffed up schedule.

Both BYU and Utah fans have had an unrealistic idea of how good their teams are playing in the MWC and have gone farther in polls and post-season than they would have in a top tier conference. Welcome to the real world.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:51 a.m.

Thanks for this. There is a lot of romance in this game. I wish I was going.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Sept. 9, 2011 6:11 a.m.

USC (being on probation) will welcome the Utes with a spanking!!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 6:27 a.m.

I expect a good, competitive game.

In the end, with 30 secs left on a clock, a TD from Wynn to Devonte to seal a Utes W!!!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 7:27 a.m.

eastcoastcoug said:

"Both BYU and Utah fans have had an unrealistic idea of how good their teams are playing in the MWC"

I'm not so sure it isn't the other way around - look what's happened this year already to Oregon State, Arizona, Oregon, and UCLA.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:03 a.m.

i agree the pac 12 has not lived up to the hipe as of now. But go Utes.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:06 a.m.

And where will the game be televised? Nowhere accessible in the South. I guess the TV people aren't as excited about this game as Utah and USC. Or was no TV broadcasts part of the sanctions?....

• Rumors Fort Mill, SC
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:21 a.m.

J-Tx

Not sure what you're talking about I live in Soth Carolina and will be watching the game in my living room.

Nice opening day of conference play can't wait.

Go Utes!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:31 a.m.

eastcoastcoug,

I think you underestimate the quality of football played in the MWC. You have bought into the big media types (virtually all of whom have graduated from schools in the BCS conferences) hype of their own pet programs and conferences. For years I have believed the gap between the BCS conferences and the mid majors isn't as big as some make it out to be. This is season is our chance to prove that.

I never expected a win in this game, but after USC's struggles against Minnesota we might have a chance. In any case, if we can keep the game close against the team favored to win the South Division we will be in good shape for the rest of conference schedule. Go Utes!!

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Like many have said, it would be nice to see both Utah and BYU playing next week at 2-0. For any of my fellow BYU fans who think Utah cannot win this game, you under estimate them because of your hatred like some Utah fans who hate BYU. Both teams have a chance, it is just who shows up to play. If both offenses show up like they did last week, it will be a long night for sure. I don't think you stop USC from scoring but you have to give the defense rest so that they are not on the field for long period of times. Do that and Utah has as much a chance at winning this as USC does.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Utah's strength is their D line while USC's weakness is their O line, Barkley wont have the kind of time that he had against Minn. If USC tries to throw the ball 50 times against Utah Barkley will not be leaving the field under his own power.

On the other side of the ball for the first time all year the O line is healthy. I expect the U's offense to be able to run on this defense the question is can they pass on it?

If Wynn can throw for 200 yards and we win the turnover battle Utah will win the game.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 9:14 a.m.

USC was not impressive last week. I saw every play of both games. Chow knows exactly what has to be done to win this game. Whit does too. I think we'll see a couple trick plays, an improved Wynn, and a reliable defense.

Utah 31
    USC 21

Wish I could be there!

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Kyle is a great coach. I think USC fans probably don't give the Utes a chance. They will learn soon enough not to underestimate you guys.

Good luck tomorrow.

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Mormon ute said:

"I think you underestimate the quality of football played in the MWC". Were you talking about UNLV, Colorado State, Wyoming, New Mexico? I'll agree that Utah, BYU, TCU are pretty good and Air Force is decent with SDSU going up and down, mostly down, but when you say football played in the MWC you have to talk about all the teams not just the big three of the past.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Fair enough Big R. But do Utah, TCU, BSU, and BYU deserve a chance to compete at the BCS level? I think we all agree they do.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 9, 2011 10:49 a.m.

I'm a red-blooded loyal Ute fan, but I am not a fan of Sitake. From my viewpoint, limited as that may be, you cannot expect to be successful in the PAC-12 by running your standard defense. The offenses run in the PAC-12 are more complex and exhibit multiple fronts. Monty Kiffin, the DC for USC is a master at scheming. Sitake needs to learn real quick how to adjust otherwise I don't see him lasting more than 2 more seasons. Also, I'm in favor of the PAC-16 with TU, OU, OKST, and TTU, but only if we don't have to travel there during the winter months. Texas is good but OK can be bitter cold and there is nothing to do to enjoy a weekend adventure besides catching the game. GO UTES!!

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Those who think the MWC is wonderful, then why did BYU and Utah leave. It's not great as some may say, and the money was paltry/scrooge-like. Utah is a 75% chance of getting hosed, big time. Quarterbacking, line play, and just about any phase of the game someone wants to look at are lacking. Superior line size, and overall team speed will doom the Utes; and I'm a Ute fan.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Wookie,

I agree with you about Sitake. I love the guy, and think that he is a great person, but not a great DC. As much as I want to see Gary Anderson do well, at the same time, I really hope that he realizes that Utah St is a lost cause, and comes back to coach the D at the U of U. Anderson was great at changing things on the fly, and put in great schemes to confuse the other team. Look at what he did against Alabama. I know that it is still Kyle's defense, and that it is the same version Gary ran while he was here, but Sitake just does not have the it factor as a DC like Gary did, and Whit has to focus on the team as a whole, and not just the D. I hope that Sitake proves me wrong this weekend, and our huge D line eats USC's inexperienced O line for dinner. 30 hours and 7 minutes to kickoff. Go Utes!

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Re: J-TX

Try putting some more aluminum foil on the coathanger on top of your TV. Maybe the improved reception will allow you to see the game.

• Captain Caveman Provo, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:28 a.m.

Good luck tomorrow, Utah. I will not be surprised in the least if the final score has Utah on top.

Go Cougars!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:34 a.m.

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:48 a.m.

This has the makings for a really great weekend for football fans in this state.

Go Cougars!
    Go Utes!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Although Utah has done relatively well in big games in the last decade, since the Sugar Bowl they have lost the last 6 big games. 2009 Oregon, TCU, BYU. 2010 TCU, ND, BSU. I hope Whit is able to work his magic again by getting the player's heads right and preparing them to execute a good game plan.

EastCoastCoug, you call Utah's schedule fluffy during the BCS runs. How many teams can you remember that go 13-0 while beating two top 6 teams and four top 25 teams?

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Good luck tomorrow!!!

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Re anonymous infinity:

You probably said the same thing when Utah played Alabama. I think you are wrong anyways, the 2 fastest players on the field according to their 40 times will be Utah's CBs, Utah's D line is bigger than USC's and I'd take our O line over theirs every day of the week, all 5 of USC's lineman are first year starters.

USC has better recruits, but they have nothing to play for. If USC wins it will be because their QB was better than ours, not because they dominated us physically.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Papa Smurf:

I totally agree with your thoughts and I too would welcome Anderson back. Remember his Circus defense that completely destroyed the Y when he unleashed it. He has the uncanny ability to scheme and scheme well. Sitake would make a great position coach, but DC, not in the new league. Prove me wrong Saturday...please.

GO UTES!!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Big R,

Every conference has it's cellar dwellers. Washington State nearly lost to Montana State last season. Is Baylor really in the Big 12? How long has it been since the Big East champion was actually ranked?

I believe the MWC has been underrated for years by most national media and analysts. If you look at the conferences objectively, the MWC outranks one or two BCS conferences in football for the past 4 years. The Big East and the ACC have not been that good. The gap between the BCS conferences and the mid majors had narrowed signficantly. However, now that most of the mid major power house programs are joining the BCS conferences or going independent that gap will widen again.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Big R,

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Big R,

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Anonymous Infinity,

Money, exposure, and opportunity. That's why they left the MWC. If the MWC had been smarter with their TV deal, they would be bringing in much more money today than they are and would likely still have Utah, BYU and TCU. With Boise State coming on board the conference was headed for automatic qualification which would have brought the exposure and access those schools were seeking.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Mormon Ute,

Does every conference have its cellar dwellers? It's too bad that the DN limits the number of posts or you could tell us 3 more times.

You do know how old you are though right? We used to take that for granted, but recently we've seen not all Utes do(if you dont know what I'm talking about go find out, it's hilariously pathetic). Geniuses are everywhere on the hill.

But to the game, I think the Utes will battle hard and it wont surprise me to see a Ute W.

• There's always room for Jello Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 1:27 p.m.

This is a big weekend for both Utah and BYU. It's a shame that both games are scheduled for the same time. Here's hoping we get to meet next Saturday with 2-0 records. I wish I could watch you guys, but I'll settle for the highlights. Good luck tomorrow.

Goooo Cougars!

• pabellon Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Go Utes!

Go Cougs!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Ted H.,

I can't answer for the Dnews' technical difficulties. I posted the comment once.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Utah 10
    USC 17

byu 30
    Texas 13

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Mormon Ute,

That's good to know. I assumed you copied your comment and then when it didn't appear immediately pasted it again and again. I'm glad to learn you weren't so determined to make that single comment that it resulted in it being posted 3 times. I'm also going to assume based on your answer that, again, UNlike all Ute players, you do know how old you are. There is hope for those on the hill after all.

Should be a great game. I have several co-workers going. For the office's sake on Monday morning hopefully the utes get the win.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 2:39 p.m.

@Collin Card

...Hey, Utah. Let's get together next Saturday and have another epic battle. You bring your 2-0 record -- we'll bring ours. Sounds great to me!...

It's a deal.
    Then, after the game, we will take 3-0 back up the hill. You take your 2-1 and call us....classes fans....just kidding...:)

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 2:49 p.m.

@fresnogirl

...Good luck tomorrow. Southern Californians may be cheering for USC, but the rest of us are cheering for you! ...

Correction...Southern Californians except the great SoCalUtahFan may be cheering for USC...

Go Utes!!!

(how can I sleep tonight? Can't wait for the game.)

• Jack Winters Provo, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Good luck tomorrow, Utes.

Go Cougars!

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Utah is no stranger being the underdog and coming out on top.

I have a feeling that they will do very well. The defense will shine. We will prove to the nation that we belong. Our players are stoked for this game.

GO UTES!!

• Target Provo, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 4:00 p.m.

SoCalUtahFan

I don't know about you all walking out of LES with the 3-0. But it sure would be nice to be battling each other for that next week. I hope you are going to game. Have fun and good luck. See you next Saturday.

Go Cougs!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 4:02 p.m.

SoCalUtahFan

I stand corrected. Have fun at the game!

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I've enjoyed reading the comments here. I like the comradery being expressed here between the 2 schools. I hope the rivalry can develop more into THIS type of rivalry.
    ====

I'm so excited for tomorrow. I'm looking forward to our boys surprising the rest of the Conference. Go Utes!

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:00 p.m.

are you kidding me.....did I actually read that? someone saying that the utes would win but may have to have a couple of trick plays....WOW. and by the way, if you think USC didn't look that great, how would you rate your runaway utes performance again'st montana? pathetic.

runaway utes 3

USC 65

• SanDiegoUte SAN DIEGO, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Here is another Southern Cal dweller routing for the Utes.
    Go Utes!
    Go Cougars!
    Life is good again...

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Another Cougar here wishing my friends up north good luck tomorrow.

I love that you are the underdogs -- USC will never know what hit them!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Well, another game in the "Most Historic" series! The first game I'm just as excited for the Utes this weekend as I was in November last year!

Let's hope the Utes don't hold 'true to form' on nationally televised games like last year.

Go Cougars, oops, my bad... go utes, yay...

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 10, 2011 12:52 p.m.

No idea what to expect. I know USC is very one demensional on offense just like they were last year, which will be towards Utah benefit (obviously). Last week Utah did not show much either, but i do not think they brought out anything special from the playbook after the 24 to 0 start. This will be very interesting but I think the Utes can pull it off! GO UTES!!