Brad Rock: Utah Utes football: Are Utes ready to step onto the big Pac-12 stage?

Comments

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:16 a.m.

um...do you really want me to answer that question? Ok I will....UM that's a big NO about the pac 10.2 stage. this is going to be a great year. hey chris b...where you at? hahaha

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:56 a.m.

ESPN Sports Center made it look like the Utes got a comfortable lead and then tried a bunch of things like it was practice. Then how did Wynn get sacked twice?

• jim l West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:29 a.m.

Why all the hype about the patsy 12. Except for oregon, there is nothing great about this conf.

• Andrew J. Marksen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:24 a.m.

Nope. Not ready. 27 points and 100 yards in the passing game speaks loudly. It is going to be a long year. The only sports program at the U of U that is ready for PAC-12 competition is womens gymnastics.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:04 a.m.

This morning, Dr. Hill has been realigning his opening 2012 football schedule...from reports, he has been in contact with Snow College for the opening game, but Snow College wants a two for one committment. At Snow twice and Utah once. Don't play around Dr. Hill, take the deal while you can.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:31 a.m.

I posted before that playing a Pac-12 schedule won't be nearly the same as playing a Mtn West schedule, and that this year will be a rude awakening for the Utes.

After seeing how inept the Utes were against an FCS school, and knowing what happened to the Utes in their final games last season, I'm sticking by my 6-6 projected record for them, but am wondering now if that is too generous.

White and Blechen were the only highlights. Should have been more. Not very encouraging.

The USC outcome will set the tone for the rest of the year. Either the Utes make that big 2nd game leap that many teams make, or it'll be a no-bowl year for them.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Yep, the team has a lot of work to do. At this point, I just hope they can keep it respectable against USC. I've never expected a win, but now respectability is in question.

Hopefully they'll improve enough over the next two games to be ready for the rest of the conference schedule.

If Wynn can't get his head in the game, he's going to have to be pulled. Wittingham said last night after the game that the shoulder isn't the problem, it's in his head. That's really bad news. It's easier to fix a physical injury than a head case. Hopefully Norm Chow has some psychology experience.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:22 a.m.

For more than a year now, Cougar fans have been hearing all about the big time from fans to the north. So, from PAC country, "welcome to the big time." You play like you did last night and you will be lucky to win a game for the rest of the year.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Wow. That was underwhelming to say the least. The thought I keep getting stuck on is the lies that we've been hearing from both Coach Whittingham and Coach Chow about how everything is great, Wynn is great, his shoulder's fine, he's as good a QB as Detmer.

I guess I should have realized that they were lying all along because their lips were moving.

Thank Heavens for John White and Brian Blechen. What would this game have been like without their contributions? Brrrrrr....I shudder to think (Apalachian State).

The sad thing is, now that we all know we're going to get killed next week and every week there after, in years past we could always say, "Oh well...at least we have basketball season to look forward to." Truth be told, I think basketball will be an even worse bloodbath than football is shaping up to be.

"Oh well....at least we have girls gymnastics to look forward to."

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:43 a.m.

USC would be foolish to think like a Cougar fan and believe that the Montana State game film reflects everything the Utes can do.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:10 a.m.

"Are Utes ready to step onto the big Pac-12 stage?"

Based on last night's performance, No. If they play like that in the Pac-12 they are gonna get killed. A Pac-12 offense should be able to muster more than 3 points in the entire second half at home against an FCS opponent. Only 34 yards of total offense separated by the Utes from Montana State!! If you take away the 3 easy scores in the 1st quarter that came off of interceptions and a blocked punt that game would have gone into OT!! Better step it up next week at the Coliseum Utah!!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:21 a.m.

"While the winning margin was good enough, the disconcerting part for Utah is that MSU outscored the Utes 10-3 after the early second quarter."

"They didn't do anything that overwhelmed us," said MSU linebacker Clay Bignell.

Ouch...FCS smack can be brutal.

I think Rock nailed it on the head about Jordan Wynn with this line:

"Mostly he played like a guy protecting a secret."

That secret is what Ute coaches have been lying about and living in denial over all summer, Wynn's shoulder is shot and he can't throw the ball over 40 yds. He didn't even attempt one longer than 15 yds against the junior college team from Montana. If anything, that would be the time to work on getting your mojo back if it was just a confidence issue.

The reality is, the reason he didn't throw it further wasn't because of confidence issues, it's because his shoulder is shot and Whitt and Chow have been covering it up.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Hilarious that 10 of the first 12 posts on a Utah article are from BYU fans and at least one BYU fan posing as a Ute fan which is extremely pathetic.
    It looks awfully desperate of each of you.
    We all know what you hope happens to Utah, but regardless of anyone's opinion on the first game...it was still THE FIRST GAME.
    Enjoy it while you can.
    But I'd spend more time worrying about Mississippi right now.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Welcome to the Norm Chow conservative play calling show. Watching that game last night, my thought was that this was what Cougar football was the last three or four years that Chow was in Provo. It is like he lost his nerve to try anything creative or exciting. Maybe he thinks he has to bring Wynn along slowly, or maybe he's just completely lost his pedal to the metal fire.

There is a reason Chow wasn't given the head coaching job in Provo. Part of it, no doubt, had to do with the lameness of his play calling. Crowton had the same disease.

• itsajelly Walla Walla, WA
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Does anyone know if next weeks game is one of the 4 Ute games on TV? I have got to watch that one. After putting up a massive 30 yards more total yards and 3 more first downs and just over 100 yards total in the air, I have got to watch the next one. It's like a train wreck. You can't look away.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:46 p.m.

motorbike | 11:59 a.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

It looks awfully desperate of each of you.
    Enjoy it while you can.
    But I'd spend more time worrying about Mississippi right now.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Veracity -

Regarding: "Now you can see how every BYU post is like from Utah fans...so it is easy to give but hard to take..."

Good luck with that one.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Utah had 292 (iirc) yds of total offense in the game but 54 of those yards came in the form of 2 meaningless runs by White padded on at the end of the game (a 29 yd run and a 25 yd iirc) during garbage time.

Taking the garbage time yards out (those 2 runs) and the Utes managed 238 yds of total offense against a defense that last year allowed that football juggernaut Sacramento State to score 61 points.

I think the worst fears (or the denied fears) of many ute fans are going to be brutally realized next week when they play USC.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:38 p.m.

@motorbike

I'm not interested enough to try but I'll make a guaranty that the 1st time BYU underperforms that is exactly what we will get. Trying to pretend otherwise doesn't reflect well on yourself. Funny but I haven't seen this much bitterness and trepidation from utah fans after a win since the Air Force game last year and we all know what happened begining the next week. I saw it on whittinghams face in that post game interview and I saw it on his face in last nights post game interview.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:04 p.m.

@Motorbike
    "The first game is not going to tell you much folks, but I understand fans like you grasping at straws...at least you have a little bit of a straw to grasp onto after a not-so-hot performance by the Utes."

No actually....I got several big handfuls of straw with this one.

"Go find one article on BYU in the last week that has 10 out of 12 Ute fans as the first posters.
    Good luck with that one."

Why, is last week the only week in the past 52 that it hasn't occurred? I'll bet you can't find one week in the past 52 that doesn't have a BYU article that Chris B, Hedgehog, Uteology, Naval Vet, mgr63, Howard S, Kamute, etc haven't trolled on.

But, to your credit, you did have the courage to show up and post after such a shoddy performance. That's more than I can say for Chris B, Hedgehog, mgr63, Howard S, etc.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:05 p.m.

Duckhunter -

Best point I've heard all day. I concede that there are probably some Ute fans on these boards that will jump on a bad BYU loss and could conceivably amount to 10 of the first 12 posters on a BYU article in that event, unfortunately.
    I can however guarantee I will not be one of them.
    By the way, I'll also admit to some of that trepidation you mention.
    I'm sure Chow held back a bit, but the truth is I don't think he has a lot of confidence in Wynn's arm either.
    I see a loss at USC almost for sure. However, my trepidation only goes so far, if Wynn and the gang stay healthy through that game, the rest of the season will be intriguing and I still think the Utes could compete for the Pac12 South. COULD.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:26 p.m.

@motorbike

You know what? If you didn't have some optimism you wouldn't be much of a fan. Good luck to you and I hope it isn't all down this season. They may not have looked good yesterday, and they may not have instilled alot of confidence in anyone, but they did win, and that, afterall, is what you want at the end of the game.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Of course, they are ready to play in the PAC-12 even with the poor offense. Utah will have the best defense in the league. The PAC-12 like all of the supposed super conference are made up of one or two very good teams and the rest would struggle against the Montana States of the world. The media pumping this "jump" into the conference of champions is the media buying in to its own hype.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 4:43 p.m.

"The bad news: Nobody left on the schedule looks remotely as beatable as Montana State."

...Except Oregon State, who lost to a team worse than MSU at home.

motorbike, I'm with you on the BYU articles. But I hope you caught enough of the SC game to realize that both teams need vast improvements to beat Arizona, ASU or Cal. This week will be a big tune-up week and hopefully Utah is at least a little more tuned-up than USC. UW and OSU looked very beatable against FCS opponents yesterday. And BYU lucked out big time. Heaps was erratic and scared and was lucky that the corner finally guessed wrong on where a pass was going. Week 1 was not the look from any of the tough teams that anyone expected.

• fan29 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Jordan Wynn won't finish out the year as QB, just doesn't have what it take to lead!!!