Utah Utes football: The wait is over

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 12:01 a.m.

In this kind of game, you have nothing to gain, but so much to lose.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 1, 2011 12:42 a.m.

I assert that every game has something to gain from it. If nothing else it is a glorified income generating practice that counts..... Just keep the injuries to a minimum to none and generate a win also and it was nothing but a good day. :)

• ChiefSportsFan Denver, CO
    Sept. 1, 2011 5:41 a.m.

GO UTES!!! Don't slip; don't trip; don't bite your lip.

Tougher to get up for the "little" openers than for the "big" guys.

All the best!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:01 a.m.

3 things I wish for this season:

1) Healthy --no major injuries

2) At least 10 wins --including USC and BYU

3) All Utes (players, coaches and fans) have fun

Go Utes, have a great season!

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:12 a.m.

How can I get KJazz in DC?

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:32 a.m.

And Utah will lose 27-24, you heard it here first. Go ahead, look past Montana State to USC!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:34 a.m.

In this kind of game, you have much to gain so you play the game, run your schemes and make adjustments MSU is better than 6 teams on some other team's schedule.

It's game day. Get up!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Lots of things to gain in this game. It should be treated as a practice.

I don't buy into this "one game at a time" philosophy as it is being portrayed in the media. Of course as a player you need to go out there and give 110% no matter who you are playing, but that also goes for practice.

The coaches are the ones that I don't believe are taking this one game at a time, especially if their goal is to win the south division. If that's the case, then this game is a practice to work out the kinks and get ready for south rival USC.

GO UTES!! 110%

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:26 a.m.

Steve Brown & David Locke, Ouch!

• Bluewombat8 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:43 a.m.

Utah loses 14-10.
    And whats up with the picture above?? Is that the ute fans stealing the Hook em Horns from Texas??? stick with your 2 L's put together to from your little u.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Utes have signed Lio Lafaele--- OT
    Kick some butt tonight !
    Go UTES !!!

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Gameday is finally here!

Go Utes!!!!

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Just because BYU has lost 6 times to Montana State, one shouldn't assume that Utah will.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:30 a.m.

The Utes are not looking past Montana state for these reasons:

They are debuting a brand new shiny offense that they genuinely want to test out. The offense will want to prove that it's working at full capacity.

Jordan Wynn has to be sick of everyone questioning his shoulder, his ability, and his potential. He's going to want to have a monster game to shut everyone up.

The O line is seen as the weak link despite having 2 NFL prospects at tackle and a returning starter at center, they are going to want to steam role Montana St. just to get the media off their back.

The D line wants national respect for being one of the best in the country and the secondary is eager to finally get a chance to play Division 1 ball. They will be hungry.

It's also the 1st game of the season, the whole team has to be excited that they finally get to hit somebody new for the first time since last year.

• CaptainCougar Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Good luck tonight Utah. I'm sure Montana State will be blown out by the third quarter. Don't listen to the trollish BYU fans that are predicting a loss.

• Steve_Timmins LAS VEGAS, NV
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Hey DC.

They are going to stream the game live on UtahUtes dot com for those of us that live out of state. The Athletic Department announced this days ago and I haven't seen it mentioned by any media outlet.

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Montana St. has a seriously good offense (for D-1AA). They will put some points on the board. Utah has too much talent to get beat but Wynn won't play more than 3 quarters if for no other reason than to keep him healthy.

Utah 31
    Montana St. 17

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Good luck Utes! Wishing you the best this season. See you tonight at Rice Eccles.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Good Luck Utah! I'm excited to see you have success this year in your new Conference. I think you are going to surprise some of those schools in the Pac. Go get 'em!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:50 a.m.

DC,

I can't give you the website link here, because the sensors have already rejected it, but try going to the University of Utah's Athletics Department website and there should be a link there to a live stream. I've never tried this before, but I'm told by a current U student that the game will be carried there tonight. Good luck!!

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Wow...maybe next year the utes can upgrade to The Mtn.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:06 a.m.

It's game day! Are you ready for some football?

GO UTES!!!

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:27 a.m.

I have a feeling this song will be sung at least 5 times tonight.

I am a Utah man, sir and I live across the green.
    Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen.
    Our coeds are the fairest and each one's a shining star.
    Our yell, you hear it ringing through the mountains near and far.

Chorus:
    Who am I, sir, a Utah man am I:
    A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die: Ki! Ki!
    We're up to snuff: we never bluff.
    We're game for any fuss.
    No other gang of college men dare meet us in the muss.
    So fill your lungs and sing it out shout it to the sky.
    We'll fight for dear old crimson for.....

Go Utes!!!

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:36 a.m.

ImaUteFan

Heck yeah!

Good luck tonight Utes. I hope you make a huge splash in your new conference. I know I'm not the only Cougar who is wishing you success. Have a great season.

• Captain Caveman Provo, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Good luck tonight Utah! It should be a fun game. I will happily add my name to the other Cougars here wishing you success this year (except, of course, for that one game).

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Good luck tonight Utes! I'll be cheering for you.

Go Cougars!

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:06 a.m.

I'm excited to see your new Offense! Good luck tonight (though I don't think you will need it).

• williary Kearns, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Once again, Cougar fans who are more concerned about that channel the game is on, than anything that actually happens on the field.

But I guess after finishing 7-6 with an embarrassing blowout lose to UTAH STATE, play on the field sort of has to take a backseat.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:13 a.m.

DC, if you want to watch the game on your TV, hook up an HDMI cable from your computer and run it to your TV. The cable cost is about $29

Runner, give it up jealous one. Your obsession about Utah going to a BCS conference, and making $30MM per year on the TV contract is too obvious. Utah will be on Fox & ESPN each week beginning next year.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Thank you to all the Classy Cougar fans who have posted today wishing us well. I wish the rivalry had more of you and less of the Runner/williary types.

Go Utes!

• anchorageles Ventura, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 12:12 p.m.

I have been a BIG pack 10 fan all my life with U.S.C. my favorite...but since my son is a recent graudate from Utah and completeing his Studies at U.S.C...I now have two great football teams to root for. I am egear to see Utah do some "Butt" kicking on the rest of the pack 12..........go Utes!

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 12:13 p.m.

>It should be treated as a practice.

That would be a mistake. Montana State isn't a big-name powerhouse, but they're a solid team with some weapons, and the kind that could take advantage of a favored team that gets a bit sloppy or unfocused. I'm not predicting a Utah loss (even though I'm a BYU fan :)), but I am saying that Utah shouldn't be looked at as a practice until they're up by at least three touchdowns well into the second half. Otherwise, there could be joyful rioting in Bozeman tonight.

• There's always room for Jello Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Dear Utes,

Thank you for breaking up the monotony of Thursday with FOOTBALL. I look forward to the game tonight. A bunch of my Cougar friends and I are going to gather around the TV for it. Good luck tonight.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Wow Montana State?.....Go Utes!

Chris Hill deserves a raise for not scheduling Snow College and Montana State in the same decade, let alone year!

• Utehaterforlife Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Moderate | 8:19 a.m. Sept. 1, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

Last time BYU played Montana St was 1942, and the other games have been BYU-Hawaii vs Montana St

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 3:37 p.m.

@Runner

"Steve Brown & David Locke? KJZZ? Why not just have a local fan post their video on YouTube?"

Yeah, we can't all be lucky enough to have our game televised on the Longhorn network. *rolls eyes*

KJZZ isn't ideal, but at least Utah's game is availabe on TV in Utah...can't say that for BYU's. Enjoy watching BYU get pummeled on your laptop...

• Back to the Drawing board... Holladay, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Good Luck Utah!! This is one Y fan hoping to see a red victory tonight!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Snow College has an excellent football team for the size the school is. Also, since it's my alma mater I wish people would stop clumping them in with horrible NCAA teams. After all, Snow is NJCAA, so it's aples and oranges. Snow College has more national championships in football than Utah does, so show them some respect (even if it is true that they would get clobbered by any of these Utah teams).

Utah should win this game by a fair margin. Expect to see some mistakes, but they should not be game-changing at all. If Utah lost I would be extremely worried for them. We can't have Utah embarrassing everybody like that.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:05 p.m.

They'll start out slow, work out some flaws, and eventually just wear Montana State out. Utah is favored by 28, but I think 20-24 is more likely the margin.

• pabellon Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Good luck today Utes. There are a lot of us here in Cougar nation who are cheering for you.

• Bleed'n Blue sandy, ut
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:22 p.m.

I'm all for Utah winning when it doesn't affects BYU, in fact I hope they don't choke tonight. But is KJZZ really being called an upgrade from the mtn? If I were a ute fan, I'd be pretty annoyed that my team is only online or on a local channel that sometimes doesn't even work.

• True Blue Coug sandy, ut
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:26 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin

"KJZZ isn't ideal, but at least Utah's game is
    availabe on TV in Utah...can't say that for BYU's. Enjoy watching BYU
    get pummeled on your laptop..."

Last time I checked, ESPN was on my dvr. Maybe you should call your cable company.

• Juggy SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Time to leave work, get a pizza, put on my crimson and white, and get this season started! It's a great time to be a Ute!

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Good luck to all my Ute friends. This should be a fun game to watch!