Dick Harmon: Questions, predictions as a new era in college football kicks off

Comments

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 2:24 a.m.

I like all of these predictions, except Colorado losing to Hawaii. However, it has is a good possibility of happening.

The Oregon vs LSU game is probably the most important game of the week. I would have predicted Utah to win 42-3, keeping MSU out of the end zone but giving up a FG.

• eljefeBYUfan Denver, CO
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:05 a.m.

Prognostications, trolling, and fanaticisms aside, its time to get it on!

Go Cougars - Go Aggies - Go Utes!!!

College football rules in my book . . .

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:34 a.m.

Bring on the season!!

• Bluewombat8 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:47 a.m.

Wrong Harmon
    Montana St Wins
    14-10

utes offense fails to do anything all game and when your defense is gonna be on the field all game they will get tired and give up 2 scores to the Bobcats.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:21 a.m.

That's why they play 'em----so we can see who really is the better team on any given day. Enough of predictions already---let's play some football!

• utah by5 York, PA
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:27 a.m.

The Utes will not shut out MSU. I think the Utes win in an uncomfortably close 10 point victory. Just Win Baby!

Go Utes!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:53 a.m.

0 points for Montana State is a slap in the face to that program. That's rude. Just because Utah's offense during camp has been abysmal and their defense appears to step up means MSU won't score at all? This team will be better than last year, and they dominated Washington State until the 4th. MSU has one of the best QBs out there. You don't get named the conference co-MVP for nothing. MSU also held their division national champ to 7 points. I normally like Dick's picks, but that score prediction is offensive.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:31 a.m.

@Striker

you referring to Utah's offense in camp as "abysmal" just shows that you have not followed them at all. Love it when you guys show your hand. Its ok, we love you anyway.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Striker,

All you say is true, but let's look a little closer. What conference does Montana State play in? The Big Sky. I don't believe the Utes have ever come close to losing to a Big Sky opponent. So being the conference co-MVP needs to be qualified just a bit. Next, dominating the worst team in the PAC 10 last year is hardly something to brag about under these circumstances. The Utes are picked by virtually every expert to finish way ahead of WSU in the PAC 12 South. In addition to that, the Ute always have a tough defense and this year is no exception. This could be one of our best denfensive units ever. I don't see our lineman or linebackers having trouble containing their QB and their receivers are not going to outrun our DB's. There's a chance they could score on us, but there's an equal chance we could shut them out. I think the shutout prediction is bold, but not offensive.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Dick...explain how Ole Miss is going to score 24 points. They have a rookie QB and freshmen WRs. They do have a big, talented O-Line (some say it is the best in the nation) but they are going against a very good, very strong, very quick, and deep BYU defense. That depth, and the inability of Ole Miss to throw the ball, will keep them in the 10-14 pts neighborhood.

BYU 27
    Ole Miss 13

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:07 a.m.

BYU is going to be playing a faster more athletic team in Ole Miss so execution is critical and then being able to get some turn overs from an inexperienced QB. If the Y gets 2 turn overs and converts them into touch downs I see the Y winning by 14. If Ole Miss causes turnovers I see BYU losing by 10.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:13 a.m.

I don't see the Utes shutting out Montana State. I see Utah trying to run up the score in the first half to provide their backups ample playing time. Wynn needs to be kept healthy, and Hays and Shreve need to get on the field. Neither backup QBs will likely produce much scoring, but would rather likely to turn the ball over a few times, thus providing for some additional scoring opportunities for the Bobcats.

No big deal. Margin of victory is irrelevant.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I don't profess to know much, but I know one thing for sure...

IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Disagree with 2 predictions ...

USC will beat Minnesota much worse - 35-3

Utah will not cover the 28 pt spread - 24-10

• troutman Washington, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Striker......You don't know your history do you?

Utah lost to a John L. Smith led Idaho Vandal team in SLC, and Idaho was a member of the Big Sky then.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:47 a.m.

Is WSU is the pac south? Finishing ahead of WSU is not a big deal. Finishing below, USC, AZ, ASU in the south is a big deal. Having a very easy schedule and avoiding the Standford and Oregon for the next two years is the best thing that happened for the u.

The pac was trying to justify the addition of Colo and Utah over others. Should they finish bad, what will that mean.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Utah 45
    Montana 10

I see a 10-2 and a very respectable #2-3 finish in the Pac 12.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Wishful thinking chris b

Don't worry though, with a relatively easy finish to the season, you will become bowl eligible after the final regular season game.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Unless Heaps struggles more than I think he will , I see BYU putting up more than 24pts. I will also be surprised if BYU's defense doesn't hold Ole Miss to 17 pts or less. Turnovers and big plays could change that but if the Y plays solid, I see more of a BYU 34 / OMiss 13. We'll see, first games are always a little nerve racking and filled with uncertainty.
    Utah should cruise if for no toher reason than their defense. Utah 28, MS 10. It could be worse, depending on Wynn and how he plays.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:43 a.m.

I have Utah winning tonight 31-7 and I have BYU winning on Saturday 27-13.

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Yes, BYU is going to be playing a 'faster' 'more athletic' SEC team . . . that lost to an FCS team last year. Give me a bleeding break! People who think BYU can't hang with Ole Miss's are delusional.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Utah should dominate tonight, the big test is next week.

BYU is more likely to struggle:

A) Heaps still has to prove that he can lead his team to 17+ points on the road against a team with 4+ wins (Ol' Miss finished 4-8 and is expected to have similar record this year).

B) Speed kills and Ol' Miss has plenty while BYU's DBs don't.

BYU 31
    Ol' Miss 28

BYU wins with a last second 65 yard field goal.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Chris: 10-2 and 2-3 Which is it?

• UtahUtesSports Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 12:36 p.m.

Chris B said that they would go 10-2 and end up as the #2-3 seed from the Pac-12 south. Which I agree is reasonable, hopefully they go at least 10-2. If Jordan Wynn can keep his shoulder healthy and play like he did at times last year I see the 10-2 record happening. If his shoulder doesn't hold up and he plays this whole year like he finished up last season I don't think they do better than 7-5. Their defense can only hold them in a game for so long.
    I think that BYU is better than what a lot of people are saying, it's just my opinion but I do think that they will have at least a 10 win season.
    My predictions for the games are:

Utah 45
    Montana State 13

The points that Montana State scores will be because Utah already has a huge lead and has a lot of second stringers in.

BYU 28
    Ole Miss 17

Jake Heaps is a talented QB and I see his being able to throw against Ole Miss's DB's. BYU's defense will be quicker than most people think.

GO UTES!!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 1:39 p.m.

hohum,

Sorry about inadvertantly tacking the word South onto PAC 12 in my post. I simply meant to say PAC 12. Also, show me the PAC 12 poll that has the Utes finishing behind AZ. I haven't seen one. In fact, many experts are openly speculating the Utes might beat AZ State, because of the season ending injuries they've had to key players. Also, I haven't seen next year's cross division schedule for the PAC 12 yet so I don't know that we avoid Oregon and Stanford next season. I believe that is only this season and by all expert accounts was just lucky for the us. Nothing intentional on the part of the conference.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 1:45 p.m.

@ AltaHawkFan | 11:24 a.m. Sept. 1, 2011
    Sandy, UT

and Alta will never beat Bingham. Ever.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 1:52 p.m.

BYU 49
    Mississippi 7

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 2:40 p.m.

To my wife I said this morning, "Dear, do you have any last words to say before the football season begins?"

She did.

Then I said, "Would you like to see a movie before the season begins?"

She did. We're going to see "The Debt" in 10 minutes. Home in time for football.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Giving the Aggies 10 points against Auburn is a little hopeful isn't it? No way is USU going to score 10 points saterday. That game will be fun to watch. It'll be fun to see USU lose and lose badly while SUU hopefully takes our first win of the season.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:25 p.m.

"Utah 34, Montana State 0: Look for Utah's defense to dominate this game, force turnovers and set up a young offense for some scoreboard. Not a pressure game for Norm Chow, is it?"

Um, well, Utah put up 27 total points, including a whopping 3 total 2nd half points. And the steller ute defense allowed Montana State to score 10 points.

Go Big Sky!

• SGT_UTE Fort Hood, TX
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:47 a.m.

USU 27 The WAC is now all yours Coach Anderson.
    AUB 24 and crying without Cam