Utah Utes football notebook: Norm Chow says Jordan Wynn reminds him of Ty Detmer

Comments

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:13 p.m.

Anyone else feel like the u is trying to convince themselves that all is well. How can he compare him to Detmer other than "fun loving", certainly not on any kind of performance. Wynn is now throwing every day, no pain, all of the questions that people had. I just have a bad feeling about this.

Not too long and we will have something to judge and not just speculate.

Hope he is ok.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:16 p.m.

Nice to hear praises/compliments from coach Chow regarding Wynn.

Let's hope Wynn will deliver more than 11 wins this season.

Go Utes!!!!

(the red roses in the form of U-block planted in my backyead look better every day)

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:56 p.m.

hohum,

Well, let's see, how much time have you spent coaching Ty Detmer and Jordan Wynn? You really think you know enough about both QB's to question Coach Chow's comparison?

My understanding is the offense is now taylored more toward Wynn's strengths than it was last year which should allow him to flourish as long as the supporting cast steps up.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Wynn already coached three Heisman Trophy winners? This kid is accomplished.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:53 p.m.

I don't remember detmer ever being under center .. And wynn will be playin against good defenses, só we'll never be able to do a direct comparison. Wynn should be flattered with the compliment, but he still needs to go out and compete. He hás the talent and mental abilities- lets now see that Translated into some great football and some wins

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Oh brother, please get me a Kleenex. It's one of those precious Ute moments.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:37 p.m.

I watched Detmer play in person. Wynn is only a junior. He has a chance to be a great quarterback.I think CHow knows what he is talking about more than any readers.He is no Detmer yet, but he has the same potential. However, it always takes a team effort to make a great qb.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:28 a.m.

Detmer is my all-time favorite quarterback for the reasons coach Chow just said. Even if Wynn is half of that, I'd be pleased. That kind of praise isn't easily given. If Wynn stays healthy, he definately gives the Utes a chance to win the South.

Good luck!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:11 a.m.

I'm a Cougar fan who thinks Wynn has been good when healthy, and I respect Norm's opinion. He's earned that respect.

As to the article, just once I'd like to see a writer get it right. I don't think Norm was the QB coach for Jim McMahon and Marc Wilson, and probably not for Steve Young. He was the receivers coach at the time. I'd like to know what year/what QB he started coaching QBs.

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:41 a.m.

Built Ute Tuff! With BYU stuff!

• Chrissy Bee Atlanta, GA
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:51 a.m.

I know Ty Detmer. Ty Detmer is a friend of mine. Jordan Wynn is no Ty Detmer.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:55 a.m.

Uhhh, serious?

Detmer is the best QB in Chow's era. If you polled the audience, I don't think Wynn would make the Top 10 when you take the BYU QBs, Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers. Wynn might be in the same ranks as John David Booty, but that's about it.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:28 a.m.

Hopefully Chow is referring to the Detmer that threw 7 picks in one game when he was with the Lions.

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:29 a.m.

You are all full of it and so is Chow to compare him or anyone to Detmer nor is it fair to Wynn. We are talking about a Heisman Trophy winner and spent a long time in the NFL. No he did not play much but still had a long career. By the time Detmer was a junior he was great Wynn not even close to Detmer in #'s wins, yards and everything else.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:54 a.m.

must be the hair and partial mustachio...perhaps the nose.

It looks like the Utes are getting their first Heisman this year.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I'm sorry, I thought that it was just Cougar fans and coaches that were accused of hype and hyperbole? Really, comparing Jordan Wynn to a QB that threw for over 15,000 yards in his career and set over 70 NCAA records on his way to a Heisman as a Jr.? C'mon Ute fans...its time to get back to just worrying about your next game. Wynn isn't even worthy to lace up Detmer's sneakers.

• PacNorthUte Lake Stevens, WA
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:05 a.m.

@alterEGO, Heisman this year?? Detmer was the TDS only Heisman winner, and how long ago was that?? We at least we had Alex in the running in my life time. Were you even alive when Detmer got his award 21 years ago??

• SouthernUtahUte Hurricane, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:11 a.m.

@ Mormon Ute

Completely agreed.

• Pac12Utes Up on the Hill, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:14 a.m.

lol! Obviously, I dont consider Jordan Wynn to be on the same level as Ty Detmer, but i do love it that Chow said this! It gets under the cougar fans skin! lol!

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:42 a.m.

@chrissy bee very nice.

@pacnorthute. Yes.

I think Chow was thinking of the 1987 Detmer.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:45 a.m.

How many Heisman winners have been utes?
    Biggest differnce is that Detmer has heart. Wynn is constantly hurt and on the sidelines.

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:50 a.m.

Not to be offensive - but, I think I'll rely more on Norm Chow's assessment than the opinions of a bunch of bloggers (of which I include myself). Chow saw the potential of Detmer...and then helped him achieve that potential. It will be great if Jordan has that same potential.

I recall a lot of banter about the fragility of Smith and Johnson and then the team came together, the play calling fit their styles and well...BCS for both!

Go Utes!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:51 a.m.

HA!! Wynn isn't even a shadow of Detmer! Chow knows better. Detmer won the Heisman and then played 11 years in the NFL. Is Wynn up for that???

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:56 a.m.

Please, Wynn will be ok if he has a line...oops, I guess he is in trouble.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Even as a Ute fan I'll go ahead and call the bluff here.
    Norm must be playing head games with Jordan and the team trying to inspire confidence and leadership out of Wynn. One of those self-fulfilling prophecy dealios.
    I actually think it's a wise move being that confidence is half of any athlete's success, but he's not on Ty Detmer's level...no where near. I hope he'll get even remotely close before all's said and done but I can't say I'll be holding my breath.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:09 a.m.

When I read the name of this article I thought it was a joke. I have a lot of respect for Norm Chow but, come on. There is nothing that Jordan Wynn does that comes close to what Detmer was in college, nothing. Detmer had heart and wasn't throwing off his back foot everytime someone was in his face. Detmer wasn't scared of getting hit. Detmer actually stepped into his thows and had great foot work. Jordan Wynn has non of that. I hear Alex Hart is now available to play, Coach Whit should go get him right now and get him ready to lead this team next year because Wynn will be done after the 4th game this year. Good luck to the Utes this year you will need it. I'm serious about them going to get Hart to play next year. He would be a perfect fit for this team.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:14 a.m.

When Jordan Wynn was healthy, he has been very good. If the Utes can protect his health, his shoulder, etc....he can be a very, very good quarterback. His Freshman year was amazing. I remember him trotting onto the field for the first time in 2009 and watching him make all the throws with all the confidence in the world.

Now healthy, he'll be back to form in 2011. I look forward to Ty Detmer like numbers and wins. 1 week to go!!!

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:17 a.m.

Let the psychological games begin . . .

This false sense of security has to be good for both players and fans alike - at least for another week or two until reality CRASHES the party.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:17 a.m.

wynn must remind chow of Detmer after the TAMU bowl game with a couple of damaged shoulders. I'm sure that's it.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Wynn reminds me of when Ty Detmer had both shoulders dislocated against Texas A&M after winning the heisman. Actually I am surprised that Chow would say this and increase the pressure on himself if Wynn underperforms.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Veracity,

Wynn will go out with a hang nail huh? Where did you come up with that wonderful prognostication? I assume you went to the Y for your schooling. Seeing as how Wynn played over half a season with a shoulder that needed major surgery, I am 100% sure that he will play in every game, as long as he doesnt have a major injury. He also beat your beloved Cougs with 5 min of good football, and a injured shoulder. I by no means think that Wynn is anywhere near Detmer right now, but Chow said he REMINDS him of Detmer. His attitude, smarts, fun loving style of play and leadership. Read that article and then make a comment that actually makes sense.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:27 a.m.

I am willing to take Chow's word for it until proven otherwise. Stop comparing Ty and Jordans statistics. Wynn still has two full seasons to write his story. If he has a couple of 10+ win seasons, he will be considered one of the best U qb's ever.
    The U haters on this article sound just as insecure as the Y haters on the article about the running backs.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Can't wait to buy my first "Wynn for Heisman" shirt at the DI.

The comparison is otherwise so rediculous, my eyes are watering from laughter. Funniest quote ever from a Utah coach.

....

""Just as good, just as good as any of them," Chow said.

Big praise considering Chow has coached three Heisman Trophy winners (Detmer, Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) and four other high NFL draft picks (Phillip Rivers, Steve Young, Jim McMahon and Marc Wilson)."

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:34 a.m.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:50 a.m.

That will be the day. When pigs fly. Chow is a good coach and he is trying to get the most out of his QB. But I guarantee you he really doesn't think Wynn is as good as Detmer.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Wookie | 9:34 a.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    "Again Y fans, why so much animosity and hostility toward your U brothers/sisters"
    ===

Relax Wookie.

No animosity or hostility.

You have to admit that it is humorous to hear the "oversensitive to hyperbole" group jump on thw Wynn = Detmer, Palmer, Leinart, Rivers, Young, McMahon, Wilson bandwagon.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:55 a.m.

I applaud the BYU fans who still have enough respect for Chow to value his opinion, but I LOL at all the others who are just going balistic after reading this article. I know it must be hard after you've spent the past 6 months making disparaging remarks about Jordan Wynn on these comment boards to now have someone much closer to the situation and with far more expertise than yourselves give him such high praise.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:55 a.m.

@wookie

"Again Y fans, why so much animosity and hostility toward your U brothers/sisters, isn't that against the teachings of our faith?"

Ttypical lame assertion from a utah "fan". Keep your religion smack to yourself.

As far as the wynn being as good as any of those Heisman winners, NCAA record holders, All Americans, etc.

Bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaaaa.........

Please norm, this is certianly damaging your credibility.

• Cougar Nation #1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:05 a.m.

I didn't know chow was a comedian. That was funny. Detmer won a Heisman, wynn can't even make an all-conference team and most likely wouldn't even be the back-up QB at BYU this year.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Duckunter,

Sorry but you already trashed your credibility when your Pac 12 Network prediction crashed and burned. So to have you questioning Norm Chow's credibility is a laugher. The fact is he has proven he knows how to coach good QB's and knows how to judge talent. You've proven you now how to spout nonsense and drivel on comments boards any time something positive is said about the Utes. So thanks, but I'll take Coach Chow over you any day.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Wookie said,
    "Its an opinion people. Just comparing characteristics. Chow knows better than anyone else when comparing Wynn to Detmer on the football field. Again Y fans, why so much animosity and hostility toward your U brothers/sisters, isn't that against the teachings of our faith?"

But is it really his opinion or is it something he feels he has to say to motivate his QB, his team, and the fanbase? When posed such a question by a reporter, he can't say, "no, he's no where close to the caliber of the heisman trophy winners I've coached." Chow's statement is outlandish at best to the layman since we have yet to see any sort of proof that the two QB's are evenly remotely comparable.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:19 a.m.

"As far as the smarts are concerned, he reminds me a lot of Ty Detmer," Chow said. "(He has) the same stature, the same kind of fun-loving attitude, the same leadership skills and the same decision-making that Ty had and Ty was exceptional."

Please explain to me where Chow is comparing Wynn's QB skills, statics or record as a QB with Detmer's. I will assume most of you didn't read the article.

Veritas I'm supprised you neglected to point that out, but then again it's not Ute fans questioning his logic..

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Papa Smurf UTE,
    "He also beat your beloved Cougs with 5 min of good football" Was that during the muffed put return by the put returner, or the bad call by the ref or the interceptions that he threw when he was in the game, or how about BYU coaches preventing Jake Heaps from making a play at the end of the game?

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Mormon Ute,

"Well folks, just deal with it. If your school's athletic administration had stepped up for Chow when it counted, he'd probably still be working for BYU and you might have had another Heisman winner and maybe even another national title. As it is, we've got him now and are happy to have him."

What do you mean "stepped up" for Chow? By giving him the Head Coaching job when Lavel retired? Did they owe him that, or something? Apparently many people out there believe that Norm Chow is not Head Coach material, or else he would've gotten a shot at it by now. USC, North Carlonia State, the Tennessee Titans, UCLA have not seen him fit of anything more than an OC. I think BYU made the right move in not promoting him.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Veritas,

The Utes don't make predictions and put them on t-shirts which end up at the DI, but I have heard of that type of thing happening in Utah.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:37 a.m.

wwookie said,

"I don't remember detmer ever being under center"

That's weird because my lasting memory of Detmer is seeing him yell out the snap count while being under center.

• Pac12Utes Up on the Hill, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:40 a.m.

lol. Much ado about nothing chow said that he "reminds" him of detmer; he is hardly saying that he is as good as detmer. But it sure is causing meltdowns all over the place. let it go cougar fan. its one persons opinion. dont let your blood pressure get too high.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:44 a.m.

giantfan,

I don't know the details of why Norm Chow left BYU disgruntled. As a Ute fan I didn't follow it too closely. I just know that he didn't leave happy or on his own terms. Along with that, there seem to be some BYU fans who haven't gotten over it and either hold a grudge against him or are jealous of any program he works for. So I see a lot of those fans now questioning his opinion of Jordan Wynn and I say get over it folks. You lost him, we've got him and we're happy to have him. We like the fact that we have an OC who knows how to take full advantage of Wynn's talents and continue his development into a great QB.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:46 a.m.

"Can't wait to buy my first "Wynn for Heisman" shirt at the DI."

Very Aquy:

Oh, so YOU'RE the guy that bought up all those "qUest for perfection" t-shirts. I hadn't ween them around much in the last few years. They were great, just the wrong color.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:52 a.m.

I love how Ute fans are justifying this.

Two years ago Jake Heaps commits to BYU and in all the excitment for Cougar fans, Ute fans were acting unimpressed. National experts ranked Jake the #1 HS qb in the country and Ute fans kept telling BYU fans that Jake had done nothing to deserve the high praise and high expectations. "He has done nothing on the field", you all kept saying.

So now, Jordan gets compared to one of BYU's all time greats by a U of U coach and Im supposed to be impressed and so are U? Give me a break. Jordan Wynn is still Jordan Wynn. The fact that Chow compared him to Detmer means nothing. One hit and "the next Ty Detmer" will be out 6-8 weeks.

Always like U to want it both ways. Until I see something different from JW Im not even willing to compare him to Jake Heaps at this point.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:09 a.m.

Veracity:

"There is one staring difference...Detmer could take a hit and keep on tickin'...Wynn will go out with a hang nail..."

Detmer was QB during my Freshman year -- my ONLY year studying at the Y. I remember sitting in the North endzone for a broken play where Detmer scrambled out of the pocket, and dove head-first in for a TD. Right before he landed, a LB came across and just NAILED him -- helmet to helmet. I thought he'd be wheeled of the field on a medical stretcher, but he just popped right up, and trotted over to the sideline so Special Teams could come on and kick the PAT. And then Detmer continued to play the remainder of the game.

Detmer was a TOUGH competitor.

I'm a huge Ute fan, but I have serious doubts that Wynn could have taken a hit like that.

Hopefully, our O-Line will have improved to the point that Wynn won't have to.

GO UTES!

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Re: Mormon Ute,

Chow left BYU because he thought he deserved the HC position. He felt he had "earned" it instead of actually being the right guy for the job. Apparently BYU didn't believe he was and they're not alone in that opinion among D-1 schools. Maybe BYU felt he didn't have the right skill set for the job, I don't know. Or maybe they didn't feel like he was the right ambassador for the University. I've heard from more than one former player that Chow has the foulest mouth they've ever heard.

That being said, any insinuation that he was not "done right" by the University is probably not made with any sort of authority of knowing all the facts.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:21 a.m.

sports-junkie:

"Until I see something different from JW Im not even willing to compare him to Jake Heaps at this point."

Correct you are sports-junkie. Up to this point in time, Wynn had been ranked among the Top-40 QBs in the country. Heaps ranked somewhere down there in the 90-100 range. No comparison indeed.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:30 a.m.

giantfan:

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:33 a.m.

sports-junkie,

No, I don't want it both ways. The Ute Coach who is making the comparison actually has coached both players and spent hours working with them both. To me that gives him a lot more credibility when comparing them than anybody on this comment board. But please keep in mind, he said nothing about their accomplishments being similar and I don't think any Ute fan on this board would try to do that either. We're talking about characteristics and ability. I think Coach Chow has proven his ability to make those kind of judgements.

As far as your injury comments about Wynn. Typical exageration from BYU fans. Wynn played hurt for more than half the season last year and you guys not only claim he's injury prone, but that he goes down easily. There is absolutely no proof of that.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Coming from Chow... one of the best offensive minds in College Football... it is a nice compliment...but now that it's been said... Wynn's really going to have to come through on the performance end to earn that kind of praise. That's going to be the tricky part. We'll just have to see.

Detmer deserved the Heisman when he won it ..but along the way BYU's 3 other great Quarterbacks that Chow coached had a big roll in leveling and laying the groundwork for that Heisman Trophy...and none more than Jim McMahon...probably one of the best Quarterback's in all of College Football. I don't know...that's a pretty tall order for Wynn to keep pace with and to live up to over the next two years. I just don't see it happening.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:51 a.m.

I don't think Wynn has the potential as Detmer but then again I'm NOT a respected assistant football coach who has helped coach 8 of the top 14 career passing-efficiency leaders and 13 quarterbacks who rank among the top 30 in NCAA history for single-season passing yardage.

But I am a Ute so I'm hoping Wynn becomes 14 of 30 for Chow.

As always...

Go UTES!!

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:56 a.m.

Naval Vet,

"Chow was promised the HC job by fmr-Athletic Director Rondo Fehlberg. But Fehlberg retired before Lavell did. Fehlberg's successor then gave the HC job to his old high school buddy, Gary Crowton. So Chow left, and the rest is history."

Funny how BYU haters supposedly know more about what's going on "behind the scenes" at BYU than actual fans of the program do...

This sounds like a Rudy situation. AD promises to make him coach but then leaves before it can happen. Maybe if the players would've gone into the AD's office and placed their jerseys on his desk then maybe he would've honored his predecessor's promise.

The point is, BYU made the right decision, in my opinion, in not promoting Chow. That doesn't mean they made the right one in hiring Crowton, but that's a different descussion.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:56 a.m.

Naval Vet,

Have you really paid attention to Jordan Wynn's play? Obviously you missed the fact that he played the rest of last season after the Iowa State game with a bad throwing shoulder that got much worse during the BYU game. You're out of touch.

• regis Murray, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Fact is, Ty Detmer wasn't all that exceptional. No doubt he was a good college quarterback, but not terribly exceptional, and definitely not worthy of a Heisman. He won the award more because of the accomplishments of his predecessors, McMahon and Young, either of whom was truly exceptional and either of whom would have been worthy of the Heisman.

What did Ty do in the pros? Compare that to McMahon and Young.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Re: regis

Your comment is so full of inconsistencies and irrational statements that it's hard to know where to begin.

First of all, how old were you, if you even existed yet, in 1990? Detmer rewrote the NCAA record books. If you could even argue that Detmer was "not worthy of the Heisman" then it's even more arguable that no one in the entire history of the Heisman Trophy has ever earned it.

And what does the NFL have to do with it? I get so tired of that lame argument. If future NFL prowess was a requirement to win the Heisman then Andre Ware, David Klingler, Charlie Ward, Reggie Bush, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinert, Tim Tebow, among a host of others, had no business winning it either.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:23 p.m.

giantfan:

"Funny how BYU haters supposedly know more about what's going on 'behind the scenes' at BYU than actual fans of the program do..."

It was hardly "behind the scenes" news. The Crowton/Chow saga had been reported in both the DNews and the SLTrib sometime between Crowton being installed at the Y and Chow stepping in at NC State.

And then retold right after Crowton was fired. Chow was already at USC at the time, and the media rehashed that story with the slant that the Y has no chance at landing him now.

I don't know why this is news to you.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Why did Norm compare him to Ty, rather than Matt, Carson or one of the multitude of Heisman winners and NFL greats? Trying to hype the game. Not sure it is good for Jordan to place that label on him.

Still a lot of rivalry, sells tickets are will get the u for national exposure with their Y game.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:39 p.m.

I have read most of the comments but now it is time to consider:

Elder Marvin J. Ashton: "When others disagree with our stand we should not argue, retaliate in kind, or contend with them.... Ours is to explain our position through reason, friendly persuasion, and accurate facts. .. but to contend with no man or organization. Contention builds walls and puts up barriers. Love opens doors.... Contention never was and never will be an ally of progress." (Ensign, May 1978, pp7-8)

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:42 p.m.

@Duckhunter: "Please norm, this is certianly damaging your credibility."

Let me quote you again, "LOL".

Ironic coming from someone who has no credibility, here let me quote you again: "Not one offensive player from the Utes would start at the Y [this year]".

Please duck, just give us your riveting opinion without calling out the opinion of one of the brightest minds in college football.

Detmer was a great player, lets just see if Chow has the touch to get Wynn to that level. Personally, with the defense we have I think half that level would equal a chance at the Rose Bowl.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Re: Naval Vet

I'm not sure what kind of "news" you're trying to give me here. I'm very well aware of the Chow saga. Who cares what "opinions" were written in newspapers about why Chow didn't get the HC job before or after Crowton. My point is we'll never know what internal decisions were made at BYU in that regard, and we all know how BYU jealously guards its privacy on such issues. Fact of the matter is that BYU determined he was not right for the HC job. Apparently other D-1 programs have felt the same way.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 25, 2011 1:50 p.m.

High praise indeed. Ty's dad was a defensive coach I believe and Ty was really good at reading defenses.

• B Logan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 2:02 p.m.

@regis

You obviously never saw Detmer play. Nobody who watched him would say that Detmer didn't deserve the Heisman trophy. He still holds records 20 years later.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 2:40 p.m.

@uteology and moron ute

You mean I don't have any credibility with a couple of utah "fans". Especially when it is a couple of obviously fantastic football minds like you two posess. Man this is devastating.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 3:34 p.m.

I can see a lot of similarities -- the whispy hairs on the upper lip, the teethy grin, the slight build. But on the field, as a football player, I haven't seen the similarities. I hope Wynn can be that kind of player, but that is wishful thinking at best for me.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 3:46 p.m.

Wynn is the third best quarterback in the State of Utah. Comparisons to Ty Detmer make even my most fervant Utah friends bust up laughing.

• ClassyUte SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 3:49 p.m.

I don't know about anyone else, but from what i've seen of uninjured Jordan(Iowa State game and before), he has been pretty good. I have no idea why some people are saying that it is typical of him to miss games due to injury? He played through most of last season with a shoulder that required surgery. I'm not saying he's as tough as detmer, but he is definitely detmer-like in that regard at least.
    As far as accomplishments go, Wynn gets killed by detmer, but Chow never said that. Jordan does have two more years to show how good he can be, so cut him a break.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:11 p.m.

@USAlover | 3:46 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Wynn is the third best quarterback in the State of Utah.

----------

According to ESPN Wynn #38 and Heaps #98 as of today, from last season stats.

If your using some other measurement please share.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:11 p.m.

I've seen both quarterbacks play, yes Wynn can be good at times, but far to inconsistent nothing like Detmer, except both kind of small for quarterbacks and kind of ugly, but Wynn will never be Detmer.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:17 p.m.

I have been concerned that Coach Chow was losing his grip. I think this article proves it.

I hope the kid is healed and that he survives the season but he doesn't have the time or the situation to accomplish what Ty Detmer did in college.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:36 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I'm smart enough not to challenge someone who has spent 30+ years coaching some of the most talented offensive players in the country and is the only coach to have worked extensively with both Ty Detmer and Jordan Wynn. Disagree with him all you want, but his credibility in judging football talent trumps yours by leaps and bounds.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:41 p.m.

CA. reader,

Nobody said he would match Detmer's stats. Chow was asked by a reporter to compare Wynn to other QB's he has coached so he did. He didn't say Wynn had or would accomplish the same things, just that he has similar characteristics.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Well I have never said wynn is injury prone, one injury doesn't make a guy injury prone. But sliding 1 yard short of a 1st down, when he could have made it, just to avoid a hit, is not the sign of a tough player. So he may or may not get injured but my lasting ipression of him is anything short of tough.

By the way, that isn't just my impression. Why don't some of you utah "fans" go back to last years articles and read your own comments about wynn after he wimped out with that slide. They are far more brutal than anything any BYU fans have written about him in this, or any other, article.

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:27 p.m.

Detmer was a great player...no doubt about that and proved to be a classy player and person - Wynn has also showed a lot of class and toughness! It seems pretty weak to rag on an injured player that tried his best to help his team.

Will he play as well as Detmer? Too soon to tell...he is playing with a completely different cast of team mates and a surgically repaired shoulder...but having Chow make these kind of statements DOES get me more excited for next week (so, if it is all about hype...well, it worked on me). I am way excited to watch college Football...next Thursday will begin the 2011 story...

Go Utes!

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:07 p.m.

This comparison is nothing compared to the undeserved praise Heaps is getting. Jake Heaps has done NOTHING on the football field and has NO quality wins on his Resume and yet they're anointing him the next Jimmer Fredette for pete's sake.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:17 p.m.

Sounds like a lot of Utah fans are grasping at straws.

Chow was obviously just trying to instill a little confidence in his young QB by comparing him to one of the all-time great college QBs.

Unfortunately for Utah, Wynn isn't even close:

Detmer - Fr/So: 348/565, 5812 yards, 61.6%, 45 TDs, 25 int, 165.44 rating
    Wynn --- Fr/So: 290/478, 3663 yards, 60.7%, 25 TDs, 14 int, 136.44 rating
    Heaps -- last 6: 109/172, 1340 yards, 63.4%, 14 TDs, 3 int, 152.19 rating

Wynn is already more than 2000 yards and 20 TDs behind Detmer's Fr/So pace and Wynn has ZERO chance of matching the 5200 yards and 41 TDs that Ty had during his Junior year.

As far as Heaps, despite Uteology's meaningless full-season stats drum beating, the vast difference between Heaps and Wynn will become abundantly apparent in the next month.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:39 p.m.

PacNorthUte

"Detmer was the TDS only Heisman winner, and how long ago was that?? We at least we had Alex in the running in my life time. Were you even alive when Detmer got his award 21 years ago??"

Detmer won the Heisman (Dec 1990) less than 8 years before Utah made its NCAA championship game run (Mar 1998), yet Utah fans love acting like the world began the day they were born.

Alex Smith didn't win a single national quarterback honor, despite being a #1 draft pick.

Detmer - 958/1530, 15031, 62.6%, 121 TDs, 65 int, 162.74 rating
    Smith --- 389/587, 5203, 66.3%, 47 TDs, 8 ints, 164.42 rating

Detmer had 10,000 more passing yards and 74 more TDs than Utah's greatest QB ever.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:08 p.m.

LonestarRunner | 6:17 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011

---------

What... "meaningless full-season stats"? Please tell ESPN which games you don't like so we can use only those games you approve of to rank Heaps.

Unlike you I can't guarantee the future so that's why I said "as of today" using last years "meaningless full-season stats" ESPN rates Wynn #38 and Heaps #98.

Cleo, while you are at it can you please tell us what the stock market will do next month?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:32 p.m.

Uteology | 7:08 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

"ESPN rates Wynn #38 and Heaps #98."
    ===

Well, Uteology has sold me.

I know this is a true article beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That Norm Chow is not getting fuzzy with age, and Wynn = Detmer, Palmer, Leinart, Rivers, Young, McMahon, Wilson because of... Jake Heaps QB ratings last year.

Once again Uteology provides the missing link that has eluded everyone. Another case solved!

..........

I can't decide which shirt to wear tomorrow.

"Heaps for Heisman", or "Max Hall Hates Me"?

Those darn Ute fans are so darn cute!!!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:53 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

Where did I say Wynn = Detmer or anyone else? Provide the post please. Or did you just make that up?

Second, Heaps was brought into this discussion when one of your fans stated that Wynn was the 3rd best QB in the state. I just proved him wrong. Care to provide a counter argument?

Cute using spelling/grammar smack on a sports thread, and then pretending that it never happened.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:03 p.m.

Jordan gets yanked in the BYU game for poor production and then sits out the Vegas Bowl because of an injury. In fact, over the final 5-6 games of the season, Jordan was average at best. How are U spinning this into "Jordan Wynn reminds me of Ty Detmer"?

Trusting Chow and all his "Coach Talk" means you must surely believe Whitt has grossly mishandled Jordan Wynn. If you actually believe that Wynn should even be mentioned in the same breathe as Ty you must be so irate at how Jordan was handled last year from the Coaching staff that you should be calling for Whitts job. Right? I mean, Norm Chow knows everything, right?

Bottom line: Coach Whitt and Norm Chow cannot both be right. Either Jordan is the next Ty Detmer or... (brace yourselves) He is so inconsistent and fragile that he needed be pulled at a crucial time in the rivalry game because he cannot be trusted. It cannot be both. So who's wrong?

• Stackhouse paradise, nv
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Comparing Jordan Wynn to Ty Detmer is like comparing Dan Quayle to JFK.

• Stackhouse paradise, nv
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Better yet comparing Jordan Wynn to Ty Detmer is like comparing Ryan Kaneshiro to Louie Sakoda.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Uteology

If you're really convinced that the full-season stats for Heaps and Wynn are an accurate guage of the two quarterbacks, then prove it by predicting how they'll do this year.

My 2011 Predictions

Heaps - 260/400, 4500 yds, 65%, 30 TDs, 10 ints, 179.25 rating
    Wynn - 195/325, 2550 yds, 60%, 20 TDs, 12 ints, 138.83 rating

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Uteology | 9:53 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

"@Veritas Aequitas

Where did I say Wynn = Detmer or anyone else?"

===

It's in the article we are discussing. Did you read the article? And now I agree with the article because of your post... (or not)

Are you saying your comment was "off topic"?

Wow, that would be a first. You almost never, well sometimes, ok allways go off topic.

Come back when you want to discuss the article, and not compare Heaps and Wynn. It's been done.

This is a different topic.

Love ya.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:23 p.m.

Stackhouse | 10:29 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Paradise, Nv

Comparing Jordan Wynn to Ty Detmer is like comparing Dan Quayle to JFK.
    ===

It's like comparing Chow in 1984 to Chow in 2010.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 2:02 a.m.

Well...

Wynn IS on the 2011 Manning Award watch list.

And... Heaps is NOT.

Utah 12
    BYU 0

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:32 a.m.

sports-junkie,

Wynn was pulled from the BYU game, because that's when his shoulder, which had been injured against Iowa State, got worse and he wasn't able to be effective. It had nothing to do with confidence from the coaching staff. Let's try to stick with the truth, shall we.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 26, 2011 2:13 p.m.

LonestarRunner:

"...then prove it by predicting how they'll do this year."

Hahaha! Only a frantic and emotional cougar fan would suggest "prov[ing]" something by "predicting" the outcome.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:31 p.m.

navel vet

"Only a frantic and emotional cougar fan would suggest "prov[ing]" something by "predicting" the outcome"

Not really.

Anywho is so fanatical about the infallability of stats as Uteology should have no problem running the numbers and being able to predict with a high degree of accuracy future results based on past performance.

The only reason Uteology won't rise to the occassion to accept the challenge is because he knows he's just blowing smoke with his stats.

Heaps will have a 20 to 40 point rating advantage over Wynn in 2011.

And before you start spewing strength of schedule nonsense, consider this,

last year's combined records for BYU's and Utah's 2011 opponents

BYU 72-79 (four opponents with double-digit win seasons)
    Utah 74-76 (not a single opponent with a double-digit win season)

Only one of Utah's nine PAC 12 opponents had a better record than BYU did last season, and that team, USC, has been decimated with scholarship reductions.

So much for Utah's "grueling" PAC 12 schedule.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:52 p.m.

NavalVet

Only a frantic Ute fan would get so emotional over a simple challenge.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 27, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Wynnie the Pooh...is Detmer II....Naaaaaaaaah...Never happen!!!

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    Aug. 27, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Detmer is in the top 10 of best college QB's ever. Sorry chow.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 28, 2011 3:20 p.m.

re: LonestarRunner | 6:39 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011

Detmer had 10,000 more passing yards and 74 more TDs than Utah's greatest QB ever"

And yet, their pro careers of both were/are less than exceptional.

I wonder if I should even mention Andre Ware?