High school football: Parry's Power Guide

Comments

• loverofthegame Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:48 p.m.

No matter the talent (because I think its fairly equal) The coaching at Bingham is far more sound, established, and respected. I cant see Alta winning. With that said Westlake beats Timpview by 14 points. Timpview does not have there normal power.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:10 p.m.

Could someone please enlighten me as to how Parry figures out his power #'s? Last week Delta had a rating of 79.4, but then lost to Manti 28-14 and so dropped to 74.7.
    Millard on the other hand had a rating of 75.5 last week, then beat N. Sanpete 44-13. But, their rating dropped to 74.6 while N. Sanpetes went up from 41.9 in week 1 to 42.7 this week.
    I don't get it. That makes a 0.1 difference between Millard and Delta for this week. Whatever that means.
    In a big rivalry game like Delta-Millard all #'s can be thrown out anyway. It will be a fun night in Millard County.
    I know it doesn't really matter, but was just curious as to how the ratings are attained.

• wx4lifeson Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:52 p.m.

Perry explain to me the 20 point difference between Bonneville and Woods Cross and how you had to pick Bonneville over WX? Come on....

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Guys, dont get frustrated. Its just another dumb poll. I read it, so I can see how far off it is after friday. Just proves over and over, that its always way off. Plus im really bored this early in the morning.

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Boys of Fall,

Good example of the flaws in this system. I track 5A (cause I'm a nerd, I played at a 5A school and my daughter attends another so my interest lies there) and I'll find several such incidents during the year that just make my head spin.

• Mammoth Washington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:53 a.m.

I couldn't find Parry's guide for Dixie vs. River Valley game. Not that it matters, but did I just miss it?

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Its kinda like the all mighty BCS computer rankings. The rankings just appear and know body can explain exactly how. Lots of people say they understand the formula but know body really does. I do agree, its just fun to look at, but don't go to Wendover with these #s thinking its in the bag. Its all here for our entertainment, to beat on, and to chat about.

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Boys of Fall,
    Who do you have winning in 2A this week. Lets see how accurate we are.
    I say Millard over Delta
    Canyon View over Richfield
    S Sevier over N Sevier
    Gunnison over Beaver
    Duchesne over N.Summit
    Morgan over S.Summit (that one is a toss up, but had to choose)
    San Juan over Kirkland N.M.
    Emery over Uinta
    Kanab over Parowan
    Grand over Monticello
    Juan Diego over Manti
    Carbon over ALA
    Enterprise over Lincolin Co. NV

• just sayin' Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:24 a.m.

WX easily over Bonneville. The CATS are coming together. Erase a couple of bad calls and the Viewmont game would have been ours. I don't see them losing another game on the schedule. Go WX!

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:01 a.m.

RevK: I agree with your picks except for the Beaver/Gunnison. Gunnison's coming along good under Coach Ludvigson & so I feel they're pretty evenly matched, but giving Beaver the homefield advantage.
    The hard to pick games are:
    Millard/Delta - because anything can happen in a rivalry game. I know Millard's been looking forward to this game and Coach Sherriff doesn't want to lose to his alma mater. And maybe Delta got caught looking past a good Manti team last week in preparation for this game. Should be a battle.
    Morgan/S.Summit - Morgan seems to always have a pretty good team, but S. Summit put up good #'s like last year in their 1st game (albeit against an average 1A teams). I agree, toss up.
    Carbon/ALA - Both teams had not so convincing wins over 1A oppenants, but I too give the edge to Carbon.
    Should be another fun weekend. Good luck to all the teams.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Parry is a Farce - Us nerds need to stick together.

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:09 a.m.

Boys of Fall,
    I think Gunnison will impress some people this season. I know how the rivalry games go with Millard-Delta, I just expect Millard to score early, and by doing that, start the OH CRAP factor, and maybe panic Delta. Who knows though! Should be a dandy! Im calling a huge upset too, Mountain Crest over Lone Peak. That would just blow the whole parrys guide up!Well not too much. haha

• Cougarfanz salt lake city, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:11 a.m.

NO respect for Orem. According to this guide Orem is the second largest spread. We hung with Herriman, who looks good. On second glance Herriman has the third highest spread. I hope this week we pull the upset over East.

• red rocks Saint George, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Region 9 did much better than I expected I thought everyone except Pine View would lose. Pine View lost, Canyon View, Hurricane and Dixie all had surprising wins.

This Week my predictions are:

CV 21 Richfield 7 Canyon View wins two in a row.
    Highland 35 Cedar 7 Cedar has a tough schedule.
    Hurricane 21 West Jordan 17 I will have a tough time picking against Hurricane.
    Pine View 28 Desert Pines 7 Pine View needs a QB.
    Desert Hills 21 Moapa 7 Desert Hills needs an offensive spark.
    Dixie 35 River Valley 14 Dixie can score, can they defend?
    Las Vegas 14 Snow Canyon 0 Snow Canyon still trying to figure it out.

Go Region 9

• Uteswin! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 1:04 p.m.

To Just Sayin:

Ok your back again, trying to disguise yourself as a WX fan when everyone knows you are from "B-town"....there were no bad calls that kept WX from winning....it was a well played game by two teams and Viewmont edged them...WX will not win the rest of their games but will be competitive....go back to "B-town" and crawl in your hole...
    Good luck WX this season..

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 2:23 p.m.

The big one that stands out as a head scratcher is the WX vs Bonneville, and Bonneville is the favorite. HMMM! Bonneville beat an Ogden squad last week that will be lucky to win a single game this year, and WX hung with #19 ranked Viewmont just fine. Just sayin, HMMM! I don't think Bonneville has the horses to compete. But thats why the games are played and not just predicted.

• play hard Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:04 p.m.

To much rests on last year with these power rankings. Go Bengals roll Fremont.

• FRiDAY NiGHT RiDER Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Last week I went 22-7 good for %75.86 on the week and so far the year. Here our my picks for this week.

Alta 30 Bingham 29
    Springville 33 Spanish Fork 31
    Syracuse 22 Skyline 16
    Timpview 35 Westlake 13
    West 41 Tooele 7

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:28 p.m.

West Jordan will put up some points but they are defenseless. It will be a shootout of epic proportions. I think Hurricane can pull this out but I think West Jordan has too many offensive weapons. Hurricane is a good team but obviously not as physical as Bingham and perhaps not physical enough. West Jordan's skill guys are as good as anyone's but they are not tough on defense, nor on the line so the big question mark will be if Hurricane can push WJ around enough and keep their skilled guys in check enough. I see at least 90 points on the board combined.

If Lone Peak can dominate Mountain Crest (LP favored by about 8 in this poll) it might bode well for a deep playoff run for the Knights. Mountain Crest looked a bit shaky against Provo, too many penalties and Provo seemed to be able to get pressure on the QB. Mountain Crest needs to be sharper or they will get blown off the field.

Alta vs. Bingham, I think Bingham's edge will be their seasoned coaching staff. Timpview had the edge over Alta there, but didn't have the horses--Bingham does.

• Scots Ogden, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:32 p.m.

Y dose every one have Roy beating Weber they beat Clearfild 14-6 last year they beat Roy beat them 18-16 and Weber beat Roy last year like 43-0, lost to Box Elder like 18-19, ya there was a drop at Weber but not so much that Roy can beat them and now with Roy's new RB not on the team I say Weber has this 24-7!

• FRiDAY NiGHT RiDER Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:48 p.m.

I like your insight eagle. Great post. I too think my Mustangs were a bit shaky against Provo, and that is to be expected with a new QB for the first time in 4 years. That being said, I think this may be a bit of a re-building year for Mtn. Crest. Sadly I think Lone Peak will run away with this one. Hopefully I am wrong.

• John Paul Orem, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:33 p.m.

@Eagle- I'll go out on a limb here, but Hurricane is traditionally a defensive team. It sticks in my mind that they gave up less that 14 points a game last season on average.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 12:01 a.m.

John Paul:

I am not as well versed with Hurricane. They have a great program. I have seen West Jordan play every single year. They do the spread pretty well, have great receivers who also play in the secondary but not quite as well. Even Bingham gave up 28 points to them. West Jordan shows the propensity to score against even the better/best teams in the state. The problem they have is they can't stop anyone. They aren't really tough minded in my opinion or physical. I think Hurricane has the edge there. But WJ has receivers that are talented and have been three-year starters so the big question is, can Hurricane stop these receivers? I think it will be a shootout and a very entertaining game. Going south is hard for Salt Lake area teams sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if either team won to be honest. Maybe 90 points is a stretch, maybe something like 45-42 or 42-35, maybe West Jordan but I have plenty of respect for Hurricane and again wouldn't be shocked if they beat another big school team. Those boys are tough!

• transplantrecipient La Verkin, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:27 a.m.

West Jordan and Hurricane will be a great game. Taylor Parker is doubtful for the game, which will hurt Hurricane. This game might be a shoutout as others have predicted, but Hurricane game is to run it down your throats with long sustaining drives. I respect any team that can spread the field and throw the ball. Look what Riley Nelson and Logan did to Hurricane a while back. Scarry game!!! My prediction 28 to 27 Hurricane. I hope we hold West Jordan to 27 points or it might be a long night for the Hurricane. GO TIGERS

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Friday Night Rider,

Nice pick of 30-29 for Alta,
    Thats jsut a horrible pick partner!

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:51 a.m.

John Paul,
    To be precise, including preseason & playoffs, Hurricane gave up 15.66 per game. Take out the Cedar debacle 13.09.

• justafan Gunnison, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Mt.Crest will not have any rebuilding years. They will just reload and get it done

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Just what I thought down in Hurricane, a high scoring affair, 84 combined wins and Hurricane finds a way to win and West Jordan doesn't get it done.

96 minutes of scoreless football for Hunter, the spread isn't working...

• airliner Salt Lake, UT

Roy 17 Weber 14 Correct
    Salem Hills 28 Payson 17 WRONG
    Springville 33 Spanish Fork 31 WRONG
    Syracuse 22 Skyline 16 Correct
    Timpview 35 Westlake 13 Correct
    West 41 Tooele 7 Correct

So far, after the Friday night games, you are 20 for 27 for 74% this week.

That is impressive. On Parry's Guide, your pick should replace Edward's.