Utah Utes football notebook: Former Baylor receiver Josh Gordon joining the Utes

Comments

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Tell me Whit is not feeling the pressure to do whatever is needed to try and produce a winner. I hope not, talking to coaches etc will not get the story. The people who have been involved are not going to admit to making a mistake on something like this. At least the honor code will not come into play.

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 11:46 p.m.

I think that it is fine to give people a second chance. And if you think about it, Josh has to be good for a whole year before he would see game time. I think that is plenty of time to prove that he has reformed his prior poor behavior.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:00 a.m.

"At least the honor code will not come into play."

Because forgiveness and second chances should never be an option.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:18 a.m.

First a JC QB with a cancelled program from Omaha with no other bonafide offers and now a homeless WR with a problematic past.

A sign of desperation or a Kleenex story of redemption and second chances?

Wow, things are really shaping up for the encore to last year's basketball program.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:27 a.m.

If Coach Whit has vetted him, that is good enough for Ute Fans. Anyone else's partially informed opinion is just that a half baked opinion. Only time will tell if giving this young man a second chance is the right decision.

• BamaUte Owens Cross Roads, AL
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:53 a.m.

Hohum - I think you are insinuating that Whitt is lowering his standards for this kid, I think Coach realizes he has earned a lifetime contract at the U and any pressure he feels is self-imposed. I guess I just see a guy extending a hand to a kid looking for a second chance and I am sure Coach will have him on a short leash. True the Hypocrisy Code will not come in play, but the Human Code will, and a year of sitting may do the kid some good or he may never play a down in Crimson, but either way Coach Whitt is someone everyone can be proud of. Family! Welcome to the Utes Mr. Gordan.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:15 a.m.

@hohum---Umm, were you expecting Coach Whit to say--"We've sold our soul! He's very talented but my gosh, what have we done? I've made a mistake here--but I'm going to go ahead and play him next year, curse my actions!"

The kid had some marijuana in his car. Having marijuana in your car does not make you a bad person. Even breaking a rule doesn't make you untouchable. If Coach Whit thinks there is a good kid who can help the program here, I'll trust his judgment.

• Gordonavich Dallas, TX
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:25 a.m.

I am not sure at this point why we think Whit is wiling to sell out the program for a few quick wins (which neither of the players mentioned above are going to give us anyway). Whit will do what it takes to win, but he will not jeopardize his program or the U. Whit has done nothing to make me question his judgement in the kids he brings into the program. Additionally, if you read the papers at Baylor, it sounds like Gordon may be deserving of a second chance (if that is what we are giving him) . . . kind of like that BYU basketball player that had to sit out last year. Stuff happens, and it doesn't mean he is a bad kid or can't be a great contributor.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:28 a.m.

"At least the honor code will not come into play." Thank you Jim McMahon.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Welcome Josh.

• TheFitz Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:53 a.m.

I think everyone deserves a second chance, and if this kid can keep his nose clean he will have a TON of success at Utah. He has NFL size and speed and will have 2 more years of eligibility after he sits out this year. Utah fans should be stoked on this kid. Welcome to Utah Josh!

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Sammyg- "A sign of desperation" No, that would be your whole post. Thanks for playing.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:10 a.m.

If BYU had brought this guy on to "give him a second chance" can you just imagine the outroar from our Utah friends up north?

Bottom line, there is a reason he was let go and it does make the Utes look a little bit desperate.

The pressure to win in the PAC 10.2 is going to be immense.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Had to chuckle over the comments RE Josh & Jon & how adding them to the U roster "weakens the program".

Can't even imagine the impact of misbehavior in places like Miami or Ohio
    State or USC or Ole Miss happening in Utah with the coaching staff and oversight provided here.

Reminds me how fortunate we are to have (1) the coaching staff we have and (2)student athlete leadership such as that mentioned in the Bergstrom/Cullen article today.

Guaranteed that if/when Josh gets on the field, he will have earned it; plus a message to the rest of the team about consequences.

An opportunity to demonstrate good teaching, good training, & good leadership. I don't see a thing wrong with that.

Another Win (no pun intended) for Utah and Coach Whitt. Outstanding.

• Pac12Utes Up on the Hill, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:25 a.m.

The best two receivers that the Utes see all year will be on their own scout team. Anthony Denham and Josh Gordon. Great day to be a ute, like every day!

• andrewute1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:25 a.m.

This kid deserves a second chance and if you go and read the Baylor message boards about the kid, they are very upset he left the program. The kid is a major, major talent and is a huge playmaker. Definate 1st round type of talent. It is to bad he cant play this year because he would step in and possibly one of the best players in the Pac 12 immediately.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:55 a.m.

We are talking about a wr from Baylor, one of the worst programs in the entire NCAA. So maybe the talk about him being a "definate 1st round type of talent" or "one of the best players in the pac10 immediately" are a laughably premature.

But as far as taking the kid into their program, well I have no problem with it. Once again every organizations has standards to uphold and most generally do. If Coach Whittingham thinks this kid will uphold the values of the university of utah then he is right to give him a chance.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Actually Duckhunter, word out there is that this kid really is an NFL type talent. Don't let the fact he went to Baylor fool you. Not to mention Baylor's been getting a lot better and some of that was probably due to Josh.
    Another thing people ought to know...Whittingham didn't seek Josh out, Josh Gordon sought Utah out. Not sure why that was, if we had recruited him previously, if he has a friend in the program or thought this would be a good place to focus and behave himself.
    Whatever the reason make no mistake about it, if he keeps his nose clean this kid may be among the best receivers the U has ever had.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:18 a.m.

@Duckhunter

"..Baylor, one of the worst programs in the entire NCAA." - Can't wait to see the glowing comments from BYU fans if they defeat Mississippi. Mississippi - a team picked last in their conference BEFORE they lost ther starting quarterback and Phil Steele rates Baylor higher than SEVEN of BYU's opponents for 2011.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:35 a.m.

Duck, finally making a fair, nonbiased point, I like it! However, Baylor is not one of the worst programs in the entire NCAA. They went 7-6 last year in the Big 12. There happens to be a team that went 7-6 in the MWC last year that you probably think is one of the best programs in the entire NCAA. Regardless, it doesn't take a great team to produce great talent. Look at Maryland. They've been one of the worst teams in one of the worst BCS conferences for years but have been churning out some great NFL talent. Baylor has also had several other great athletes making an impact in the league lately, and Josh was expected to be one of the next.

• andrewute1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:44 a.m.

@Duckhunter

Why dont you do your homework on the kid before you talk you daily filth on Utah articles. Coming out of last year he was ranked as the 3rd best sophmore receiver in his draft class. Just because he is coming out of Baylor does not mean he is not an NFL talent. Baylor fans have stated on their message boards that he was well on his way to becoming the greatest receiver ever in their program, and will be in the NFL when his time is done in college.

Oh and by the way, student-athletes should never be given another chance after they make a mistake.

Signed Kyle Van Noy

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:46 a.m.

It's called adults making adult decisions. The kid will surely be given a standard he has to meet and a year to maintain that standard. If during that time he violates the trust, he'll be gone. No harm no foul.

If he maintains his good standing the Utes have a potential great receiver. Who wouldn't roll the dice in that situation.

I beleive in the same circumstances, BYU has and would do the same thing.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Pac12Utes:

Is that true? Is Utah redshirting Anthony Denham? I hadn't heard that.

Bummer.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:44 a.m.

motorbike:

Nope. When Gordon signed with Baylor [2009], he had offers from Houston, Kansas, Arizona, Missouri, and Nebraska. He also looked at Michigan, Oklahoma, and Oregon.

I guess that sort of blows a few holes in cougar nation's oft touted "nobody has heard of Utah" theory. Especially since it was the Y who was never listed as school of interest. I wonder if Gordon had ever heard of THEM.

• Pac12Utes Up on the Hill, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:53 a.m.

@Naval

yeah, I haven't heard an official announcement, but the coaches have stopped giving an update on him. Typically that means he is going to redshirt. Even if he becomes healthy tomorrow, he is a new player who wasn't hear in spring ball and has missed all of fall camp. They would be wasting at least half a year by playing him now.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:10 a.m.

Duck: Baylor's WRs are better than anything coming out of Orem.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:40 a.m.

@sammyg

No, sign of desperation is using a 2 QB system... 7-6.

Like I said before, the news would be if a cop pulled a car full of teenagers and found no marijuana in it.

Welcome Gordon to Ute Nation.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 3:51 p.m.

motorbike | 9:15 a.m. Aug. 24, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    "Whittingham didn't seek Josh out, Josh Gordon sought Utah out. Not sure why that was, if we had recruited him previously, if he has a friend in the program or thought this would be a good place to focus and behave himself."

===

Hey, if people are going to seek BYU out for the clean-living lifestyle, whose to say that this kid didn't do the same thing.

Maybe realized that he made a mistake, and thought that SLC was the best place to keep his act clean.

SlC is not really known as a "den of iniquity" to the rest of the country.

Respect to Kyle for giving the kid a chance. I hope he is successful in getting his education, and represents the state well.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Dang...

@Naval Vet:

You are killing me here.

I have been finding myself agreeing more and more with your comments. I even recommended your post at 10:44.

I was in Philly a few weeks ago. Would have loved to met you at City Tavern (est. 1773, where the framers worked out The Constitution) and discussed sports.

Keep up the good work my friend.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:17 p.m.

The Utes desperate?? I hope the Utes are desperate to land this kind of talent and compete in the pac 12!! And keep in mind, he contacted the Utes first, then we started looking into him, and I am very, very glad we did.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Hmmmm...pretty sure I didn't post any "filth" andrewute1. My guess is you must be about 14 years old and unable to handle even the most mild of disagreements?

It remains to be seen how good he is but calling him a "1st round talent" and "one of the best players in the pac" is the sort of exaggeration a juvenile would make, and then only a juvenile would throw a hissy fit when someone questions their 'logic'.

Also like I said I have no problem with Whittingham giving this kid a shot, I'm sure he has done his homework on him so that just makes your Kyle Van Noy comment all the more juvenile.

Thanks for being unhinged because that part I enjoyed. LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:40 p.m.

@StGtoSlc

Thanks for actually reading what I wrote rather than having an unhinged kneejerk reaction like some of the other Utah fans on here.

I realize Baylor was slightly better than .500 last year but that is a high water mark for them. They have been really bad for a really long time. Their big12 record is 18-101.

But that said of course good players come out of bad programs, it happens alot. This kid may turn out to be pretty good and I am sure Whittingham would not have given him this 2nd chance if he didn't have some talent.

But of course utah fans like to call BYU fans out anytime they overhype anything about BYU.

Calling this kid "a 1st round talent" and "one of the best players in the pac12 immediately" is the sort of comment that proves unrealistic exuberence isn't just limited to Provo.

• hedge hoggs Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 24, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Source:Holyturf

"Josh Gordon posted on his Twttier account on August 15th This fall Im going to take my talents to Salt Lake and join the Utah Utesthats the conclusion i woke up with this morning

A source inside the Baylor football program told me Saturday night that Josh Gordon did the same thing leading to an indefinite suspension. Gordon was not suspended last season even though he was arrested along with teammate Willie Jefferson after getting caught with marijuana.

Baylors Head Coach Art Briles is known as a players coach, but Gordon has obviously pushed the limits."

----------------

Source ESPN:
    "Last October, he was arrested at a Taco Bell near campus after being found passed out, and police found marijuana in the car.

Safe to say this is strike two for one of the league's most promising players. For Baylor, it could put a damper on their early season plans, too.

Gordon didn't miss any game time last year for the arrest, and was on the field a week later."
    --------------------

"BamaUte | 6:53 a.m.

---------------------

Yes, I think so.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 5:57 p.m.

I'm back. First I agree every young man deserves a second chance, good for Whit to have that faith in him. My post got the ball rolling some good posts and others not sooo good.

Utology: Are you saying that is acceptable behavior at the u. I don't think that is the case. To minimize the breaking ot the law may have been the attitude that landed Josh in trouble.

By the way, Baylor is a private, religious school, ala BYU, maybe that was the problem. They have standards they were unwilling to compromise.

Anyway, I hope the young man has things under control, keeps his nose clean and puts all this behind him. Good luck to you Josh.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:14 p.m.

I remember hearing a passage that went something like this, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." Hopefully Josh learned from his mistake and makes better decisions going forward.

But I don't understand the negative comments about the Honor Code. Can somebody explain why trying to live your life in an honorable way is a bad thing? There is nothing in the Honor Code that is contradictory to any Christian values. The principles in the Honor Code are not unique to Mormons.

Whits comments about the kicking game should be concerning to U. He describes himself as a below average kicker, but still claims he is a better kicker than the two competing for the position. Hopefully, he's being a little sarcastic. If U don't find a solution to the kicking game, this could cost U a game or two.

See you in two and a half weeks!

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Utah has worked with many players that have made mistakes or came from tough backgrounds with positive outcomes. It is one of the things I respect most about Coach Whit and the Utah program.

Denham and Gordon are going to be two "huge" athletic targets for the Utes next year with other talented WR's gaining an additional year of experience. They need depth at every position and they are getting it.

From what I read on Gordon, he can be a legit 1st round NFL draft pick. He already has 2 years of D1 experience in the Big12 with great stats as a sophomore. Add the additional year to readshirt while he sits out to learn the system and this is a great advantage for the Utes to pick him up now. This kid can step in next year and be an instant weapon.

Baylor gave up on the kid after a mistake and the Utes will turn him into a star. Apparently each University handles things they way they see fit. I beleive the Oregon QB just got busted for the same thing and he is not even going to sit out a game.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:49 a.m.

"We are talking about a wr from Baylor, one of the worst programs in the entire NCAA."
    ---Duckhunter

Baylor finished 15th in the FBS last year in total offense, and Gordon, as a sophomore, led the team in recieving TDs and was second in recieving yards. He was named to the Big-12 third team, a league with some prolific recievers.

Yeah, I'd say he has talent on the field.

As far as off the field, I trust Whit's judgement. Still these are kids and they make their own decisions. I hope it works out for him off the field to.

With Anderson, Dunn, Christopher, and Gordon---and a Sr. QB---the passing game for 2012 has shored itself up.

Of course, this is still 2011....

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 2:21 a.m.

Hohum,

***Questions for thought. Did the young man seek out u because they were a down program giving him a better chance to play. Why did he not go to Az,Neb,Oregon, Okla, Michigan to play. Problems there or referred to u.***

Josh would probably start at almost any University that he chose.

Utah is hardly a down program. They are 33-6 in the last 3 years.

Maybe he chose Utah because he had prayed asking what he should do and he woke up with the divine inspiration that he could start a better life in Utah. I mean, isn't something like that what most fans of your school would do? Why wouldn't you assume that someone else would do the same?

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:14 p.m.

BYU is not my school, nor is utah, try to be objective on all.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:28 p.m.

@MiP

"And yet this was yet another team to win AT Texas last year (see also UCLA and Iowa State, two other teams trolls claim are amongst the worst programs in the NCAA). What does this say about the Longhorns, duck?"

Uh, I'm not a Texas fan. Why would I care? I guess that makes sense to you but I don't have a clue what you are even talking about.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 28, 2011 12:06 a.m.

and he likes to sleep in the drive-through lane of a Taco Bell. Does the u have Taco Bell near by for him?