Utah Utes football notebook: Kyle Whittingham says team won't overlook Montana St.

Comments

• Chrissy Bee Atlanta, GA
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:09 a.m.

Game Prediction: Utah Utes 3 - MSU 21

The beginning of a very long season.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:32 a.m.

Kyle won't let this team overlook Montana State. Kyle will have the team prepared.

• cougblood FARMINGTON, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:29 a.m.

I dont think they will overlook MSU either but if I were MSU I would blitz from every position all game long to try to get through the thin O-line and hit Wynn. If they can get to him like that then they have a chance, but I think they will have a very hard time scoring on the D

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:48 a.m.

You would blitz every time? seriously, your football ignorance is showing...I would love a team to blitz on me all the time...especially with good tight ends, fast H-backs and a running back who only needs a small hole to slip through and lots of open field ahead because the linebackers are blitzing...that translates into one sack per 3 50- yard gains. At that rate I will give up 5 sacks but score 7 or 8 touchdowns. I'll take that. Go back to school. MSU will certainly blitz a lot, but after the first quarter those blitzes will be easy to read and exploit. Much better to try and contain at the line play assignment football and throw in unpredictable blitzes. You're welcome for the lesson, no go back to your intramural game.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Another Game Predication: BYU Cougars 3 - Ole Miss 21

The end of a very short season.

(after all, with no conference affiliation, BYU's only measure of success is to go undefeated and play in a BCS game. What a shame that the season will be over before it has really even started.)

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:02 a.m.

What does a BYU prediction have anything to do with a Utah article? Goodness get over yourself!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I'm not so sure about Josh Gordon, but I suppose everyone deserves a shot at redemption.
    Can't wait for football to start. The Montana State game will give the team a chance to polish up a little bit and get a little confidence. They are going to need it for USC.
    I always read headlines like this and think, okay, that's good that they are giving the opponent the proper respect, but I hope they do watch a little film on USC as well. I know it is just coach speak, but USC is going to be a huge game.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Maybe the best thing about camp is that the Utes managed to get threw it with out a single serious injury to anyone in the 2 deep rotation. It's my understanding that the 3 players who are out against Montana St. should be good to go against USC.

The O line remains the biggest question mark but they have come a long way since the beginning of camp. Unlike byu (whose defense was strictly playing their base package and holding back their blitzes until last week) Utah's defense has been throwing everything at them since the beginning of camp and they have been holding their own lately. If they're playing well against an aggressive Utah defense they will be ready for the rest of the Pac 12 too.

It's also great to see Wynn come off his throw count and be exactly where the trainers expected him to be physically right now.

• BYU/Jazz fan West Valley, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:51 a.m.

I think that the MSU game should be a tune up game for the Utes, just like every other BCS school does at the beginning of the season by having cupcakes on their schedule. I think the Utes could be a very good team this year and have a shot at the conference championship but I hope they earn it by beating USC instead of sliding into it since USC would be ineligible for it.

Good luck to the Utes except for going against my beloved Cougars.

Go Cougars!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 12:18 p.m.

This is exactly how Wittingham has approached every game his entire career.

BYU/Jazz fan,

I don't care how the Utes get into the conference championship, because if we get in they will have exceeded the expectations of most of the country and will prove we belong in the PAC 12.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:04 p.m.

BYU/Jazz fan: "I hope they earn it by beating USC instead of sliding into it since USC would be ineligible for it."

Ironic coming from a BYU fan, how exactly did you "earn" your NC? Don't worry Utah will earn the right to play in the PAC-12 title game more than USC had earned the right of playing in the 2004 national title game by paying Reggie Bush.

Utah won't overlook anyone. The Montana State game is a good first game to get our ducks aligned before the PAC-12 opener.

Go UTES!!

• cougblood FARMINGTON, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Hymn to the silent, Wow you sound like a real tool. Sorry for the exaggeration. The MSU D should be very aggressive and put all the pressure they can on Wynn and the O line, way to take my comments so literally. Blitzing all game long could possibly, maybe, perhaps mean to just blitz often and mixing it up. Again wow, someone thinks he is smarter than everyone else.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Cougblood: I'm not smarter than everyone else, just much more intelligent than you. Your hate for the Utes is transparent. Let's try to keep these boards to intelligent discussions. You didn't say: "mixing it up" you said "blitz all game long from every position" sounds like an armchair quarterback who has never played beyond mighty mites. If MSU is to beat the Utes it won't be to outsmart them, they have to outplay them, beat them head up at enough positions to win the battle. That means getting cornerbacks and linebackers in the backfield before the play gets off. putting them in the box only pulls them out of their assignments if they can't penetrate. Blitzing still means you have to beat somebody. I see MSU getting a couple of sacks because they have good speed, but I don't see that being a game changer. Their offense is still putting it together, no real big news about improvements, and the U D has been stellar since spring. If MSU really wants to beat Utah they'll have to win the offensive war. And anybody that uses the phrase "real tool" must still be in high school.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Utes have never lost to Montana State and look to extend the streak.
    They are right not to overlook them. Montana State has beaten BYU 6 times.

• BYU/Jazz fan West Valley, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:35 p.m.

BYU earned the NC by going undefeated, beating #1 Pitt during the season and being the #1 ranked team by both the AP and coaches poll, that's how they earned it. They were products of the system and made the best of what was dealt to them. Haven't seen the Utes do that yet have we? Undefeated season, sure... National Champion and #1 ranking in both the AP and Coaches poll? Nope...

• cougblood FARMINGTON, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Hymn

So thats what happens when you blitz, assignments change. Wow, thank you for spelling that out for me all knowing one, I was at a complete loss. You mean when team blitz they don't get a clean shot at the QB every time without taking a chance, again you have really opened my mind. All I have been saying is that the o line us a weakness that MSU should try to exploit because in many other facets of the game they have no real chance. Such a tool

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:14 p.m.

BYU/Jazz,

"#1 ranked Pitt"

No hate for that '84 team, they accomplished something nice by going undefeated. But it doesn't compare that to what Utah accomplished in 2008, by going undefeated against much, much better competition.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:18 p.m.

*remove "that"
    D-news needs an edit button

@cougblood
    It's over dude. Time to walk away.

• Bones Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Re: BYU/Jazz fan

Pitt ended up going 3-7-1 that year.... Impressive season by BYU but I wouldn't use their win over Pitt as an argument for them legitimately winning the National Championship. True they were ranked #1 in both polls, but a lot of people point to 1984 as evidence that there needs to be a playoff and not just opinion polls to decide a true champion.

Anyway... here's to Utah going 13-0 and BYU 12-1.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Sorry BYU/Jazz fan, the cougars didn't "earn" it. It fell into their laps, by accident. Pitt wasn't ranked at all when it counts, at the end of the season. Neither was any other team they beat that year. At least your football is feeling dominant and comfortable back in the wacky WAC. Now maybe St Heaps can put up some big stats.

• Napolean Dynamite Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:42 p.m.

truthsandwich-

"Actually, it is no longer pre-season 1984, which means we now know where Pitt's team really ranked that year among the top 25: no where."

That's the best comeback line I've heard in a long time.

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 4:32 p.m.

The Utes o line, even with the injuries is better than Montana St. defense. There is nothing that MSU is going to throw at them that Utah hasn't seen or prepared for. They can blitz all day long, but if they aren't successful early on, they will get eaten alive and not achieve anything. I think the only chance MSU has is to play conservative on defense and hope that the Utes make more mistakes than MSU. MSU then has to be able to capitalize on Utah's mistakes more than Utah can capitalize on MSU's mistakes. If Utah has turnovers, but MSU can't score after it, it benefits Utah. Given that Utah has better athletes at most positions, MSU also has to overcome the difference in talent, particularly in the two's and three's. I suspect Utah starts conservative and slow but wears down MSU over time and pulls away in the second half.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 4:56 p.m.

@chewbacca

"Pitt wasn't ranked at all when it counts, at the end of the season."

No...but of course BYU was ranked "when it counts, at the end of the season". #1 in all of the polls as a matter of fact.

I do find it funny that utah "fans" like yourself put so much stock in where a team is ranked at the end of the season, you know "when it counts", except in the case of the team that was ranked "at the end of the season, when it counts" as #1.

So all those teams ranked 12th or 22nd "when it counts" actually "count" but the team ranked #1 "when it counts" doesn't "count"? I guess all those poll voters can get it right for the #9 team but when it comes to #1 they just don't get it?

ute "fan" logic. LOL!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Back in '82

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Why is it that in just about every single Ute article ridiculous self conscious byu fans bring up 1984? The eighties was a horrible decade and nothing good can come from trying to bring it back. Nobody cares what happened in 1984. Try to at least make your arguments relevant please.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 6:50 p.m.

@byronbca

"Why is it that in just about every single Ute article ridiculous self conscious byu fans bring up 1984?"

Uhhhh...BYU fans didn't bring it up, uteology did. Nice try but FAIL!

LOL!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Hmmm. Napolean. Uncle Rico. Where's Kip?

The fact that this team was up 22-7 against Washington State should be enough to motivate the Utes to not take them lightly. Washington State, while not great, was good enough to put a beat down on Oregon State last year.

Still, the Utes need to win this one in impressive fashion. Montana State may be good buy FCS standards, but talent wise, the Utes have a deep edge. My guess is the Utes will start slowly but make the necessary adjustments at the half and with this one with enough comfort that Jon Hays gets some PT against his home state.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:04 p.m.

Come on . . . Utah should have an easy time against MSU. In fact Utah has a very favorable schedule this year since they don't play Oregon or Stanford and they get ASU at home. USC got a couple of pre-season votes, but there are no other ranked teams on the schedule.

Utes should go 10-2, but since the losses to USC and BYU won't impact them they should find themselves in the first PAC12 Championship game. I would like to see U beat Oregon in the Championship game, but I don't think U are at the talent level of Oregon, Stanford or USC yet.

However, if Wynn goes down, all bets are off. I could see the Utes not winning another game without Wynn since there is such a drop off in ability with the backup QB.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:34 p.m.

" title game more than USC had earned the right of playing in the 2004 national title game by paying Reggie Bush". They won cuz SC had 20 NFL prospects on the team not because one player got some money. You won't beat SC.

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:41 p.m.

When will Utah put the rest of their schedule up on thier website???

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 11:32 p.m.

cougfaninTX,

***Utes should go 10-2, but since the losses to USC and byu won't impact them they should find themselves in the first PAC12 Championship game. I would like to see U beat Oregon in the Championship game, but I don't think U are at the talent level of Oregon, Stanford or USC yet.***

Wasn't the same thing said before the '09 Sugar Bowl? Somehow, I think that the Utes did just fine in that game.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:09 a.m.

Unless Utah completely lays an egg in this one there is no way Utah loses this game. Utah is good enough to simply out-defense Montana St., even if the Utah offense struggles. I don't think this one is a blowout, though. I think it could be a hard fought game, but I think Utah wins by a couple of touchdowns if they struggle, and they win by 3 or four if things click for them on offense. Even if the offense plays poorly they will find a way to put together enough points to win the game. It's Montana St. guys, seriously.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:01 a.m.

CougFaninTX,

My BYU fan neighbor laughed in my face when I told him in 2008 that I preferred playing Alabama over any other top 10 team that year in the Sugar Bowl. I simply believed we matched up better with them than any other team we could have played. I guess I was right. So be careful jumping on that bandwagon of questioning our talent level.

Ute Fans,

C'mon. Calling into question BYU's Championship has gotten so old it smells as bad as the stink from the Great Salt Lake. It's on the books. No matter what list you look at BYU is listed as the 1984 National Champion. It doesn't matter what you say, you can't change historical fact. It's time to move on and focus on the bright future ahead for all Utah athletics in a great conference with top notch opponents.