Utah

Former friends, allies, Mitt Romney and former Salt Lake Mayor Rocky Anderson now at odds

Comments

• USNGary West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:23 a.m.

who cares, it is Anderson, not many people like him any way. as a mayor he felt he needed to make statements on national levels. If Anderson is upset over Romney saying that then he is too sensitive!

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Another reason to vote for Mitt Romney.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:25 a.m.

If Rocky Anderson had the ability of self-reflection, he would realize the he is the one who actually became a nut. There's no question why Romney is a viable presidential candidate, and Rocky has become, well, a rock.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:26 a.m.

can't Ross just fade into the liberal sunset?

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Yeah, who cares? Must be a slow news day. Ross Anderson is irrelevant except in his mind.

• Gr8Dane Tremonton, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:30 a.m.

I'm continually amazed at stories about Rocky Anderson popping up in the news. I don't know why we should care what he thinks? He's no longer an office holder and his extreme views on issues is will documented. Is this news?

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:35 a.m.

'When he comes to Utah, he doesn't call me anymore,' says Anderson."

Really, Ross? This surprises you? Have you tried to have anyone from Davis County bother to call you?

DesNews---this is about as much of a NON story as I've read for many years. Rocky hates Republicans......why are you wasting ink on this former anti- person?

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Re: ". . . Romney and . . . Rocky Anderson now at odds.

Makes me want to take another look at Mitt. Anyone opposed by Rocky is well worth looking at.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Shocking! Rocky at odds with someone. Just shocking!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Aug. 22, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Any credible candidate, even if he were within the same party, would be VERY WISE to distance them from Rocky. Anderson doesn't have any national clout. Why not distance one's self from him?

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Ah,,,,,,,
    This seems to be a pattern with Romney, as with other wealthy, important individuals.
    "Use em, then lose em."

• deserthound Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Once again, the DESNEWS comment section is dominated by the fringe. While Rocky may have baggage, one thing you can say about him is that he sticks to his principles. That's something you can't say about Mitt "blowin in the wind" Romney. He's as phony as three-dollar bill. The plastic candidate. Ironically, if he wasn't LDS, most Utahns wouldn't give two cents for him. A shallow politician supported by shallow voters. He's killed far more jobs than he ever dreamed of creating.

• Let's be real Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:04 a.m.

Like I said last week when the DN wrote an article about Rocky. Who cares! He is gone, he is nothing, nobody cares. Let him go peacefully. Mitt is running for the President of the US, the most powerful person in the world. Perhaps Rocky thought that he was as mayor of SLC but he is gone. Please stop writing about him unless he does something decent.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:08 a.m.

@ no fit

Apparently you haven't read the other posts. To a person, no one is surprised by this behavior from Rocky. You're missing the story, but then that doesn't really surprise me, either. Maybe you and Ross could share an apartment together, just outside Berkley.

• John Harrison Sandy, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:18 a.m.

The Mitt that ran for governor in MA and who Rocky endorsed (I remember seeing the ads when I lived in Boston) was an entirely different candidate than the one that ran for president in 2008. To say that Mitt has changed his positions on a number of issues isn't a criticism, it is just stating the facts. Mitt should have run on competence in 2008 rather than as a right wind ideologue.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:21 a.m.

I like Mitt... but the criticism leveled most often at him is his (perceived, at least) flip-flopping on significant issues. These criticisms come from both the right and the left; it's not just liberals who accuse him of being either wishy-washy or a political opportunist. (And who needs more of those?!!)

If Mitt is the GOP candidate in November 2012, he'll have my vote. But I think he's got a tough row to hoe between now and then, and it's mostly his own doing. His own words may be his downfall.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:29 a.m.

This has been an ongoing joke - that is that Rocky Anderson is a Mormon conservative. SLC inmates will know better than I do but even 400 miles away, Anderson is looked upon as a political duck out of water.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Translation: Rocky can't be a friend to anybody who has responsible standards!

• tom_e Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Since "the Rock" became mayor of "the Salt" I have not been in the lovely city.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Yawnnnnn. I'm baffled to find any relevancy to this article. Rocky's turbulent, dysfunctional run as mayor is long over. He's out of the political conversation in Utah and was never more than a faint echo nationally despite his persistent delusions of grandeur. I truly fail to understand why the current relationship between these two men is newsworthy. There has to be, even on a slow news day, something (anything) more interesting, relevant, and newsworthy to fill page space.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Aug. 22, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Keep up the fight Rocky, you have nothing to lose. A spade is a spade. These phony wishy-washy wealthy businessmen are in for big surprises. When the worm turns they will be getting their just due.

• Niximus Tooele, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 12:29 p.m.

My mind is blown every time I see a story about Rocky Anderson in the news. How this guy manages to stay relevant is baffling. It's almost like he is calling up the Des News and SL Trib and the local affiliates, and begging them for an interview.

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 12:33 p.m.

If there is no "flip-flopping" is life, there is no learning/growth going on. We all change over time as we develop and progress through our lives. To say you think the same today as you did 20 years ago would be ludicrous. "Flip-flopping" should not be considered a bad thing.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 12:37 p.m.

So now Mitt throws a friend under the bus for political reasons. One more reason to vote against Mitt . . . and I already had plenty . . .

• NT Springville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Rocky "still irrelevant" Who?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 1:52 p.m.

'(Today) the ex-mayor insists his lost faith in Romney is due entirely to questions of policy, not personal offense.' - Article

He is not alone.

*'Mitt Romney as job creator clashes with Bain record of job cuts' - By Lisa Lerer, Bloomberg News - Published by DSNews - 07/20/11

'Employees who lost jobs at Bain-controlled companies more than a decade ago say they still hold Romney responsible.
    "I would not vote for him for anything," said Phyllis Detro, 68, who lost her job...'

*'Let Detroit Go Bankrupt' - By Mitt Romney - NY Times - 11/18/08

*'Mitt Romney raises $18.25 million, but Republicans worry it might not be enough' - By Jamshid Ghazi Askar - DSNews - 07/07/11

*Firm dissolves after giving pro-Romney PAC $1 million By Ken Thomas AP Published by DSNews 08/04/11

*Mitt Romney: Corporations are people, my friend By Phillip Elliot AP Published by DSNews 08/11/11

I don't think I will be supporting Mitt Romney for President. His favortism over big buisness over America's well-being, and her citizens, is clear.

He can loose.

Again.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 2:18 p.m.

@ Pagan | 1:52 p.m. Aug. 22, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

"I don't think I will be supporting Mitt Romney for President." Now there's a real news flash. After all of your hundreds of pro-Obama posts, who would have thought you were supporting Romney?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 2:56 p.m.

'After all of your hundreds of pro-Obama posts, who would have thought you were supporting Romney?' - 1984 for life | 2:18 p.m. Aug. 22, 2011

Once again, not addressing my POINT about Romney...

instead, attacking the messenger.

The most productive thing Romney has done since 2007..is complain about Obama's 6% vacation time spent, vs. Bush's 35% of Presidency.

If you don't want the contention...

why do you read?

It's not like I'm making you read my post. :)

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 22, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Re: Pagan | 2:56 p.m. Aug. 22, 2011

I think of Ross Anderson every time I go downtown and see his two crowning achievements: Main Street Plaza and the pedestrian bridge over Main Street. He fought them tooth and nail ... and thankfully they will remain long after Anderson's name has faded from memory.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Rocky Andersons opinion about Mitt Romney is irrevelant. I can't think of two more polar opposites when it comes to policy issues. I will vote for Romney because his policies are more in line with my own. Whether he is friends with Rocky Anderson makes no difference to me. Rocky can fly off to his leftist cuckoo's nest and keep his opinions to his supporters.

• dlw7 LOGAN, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 5:02 p.m.

How does Rocky Anderson keep finding his way in the news? He is opposed to just about everything unless it's radical. His causes always seem to border on the fringe. Whoever the Republicans choose to run for President needs to be someone who can deal with the economy and get this county on firm financial footing. Romney did this for the 2002 Olympics. Maybe he could do it in 2012-16. NOBODY who is running is perfect, so we need to do our homework and find the best of the bunch--imperfect as they are.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 22, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Okay, Pagan. Let's address your points about Romney.

1. He is responsible for laying people off in an effort to return companies to profitability.

2. Somebody gave Romney $1 Million for his campaign.

3. Corporations are people.

I don't have a problem with any one of these things. I'm indifferent to #2, and I see #s 1. and 3. as positives. From my point of view, Mitt is coming out smelling like roses, while you and Rocky Anderson...not so much.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 5:35 p.m.

This type of info is damaging to Mitt as he has been shielded by those who handle him for along time.

Rocky could not hurt Mitt but by turning on Rocky, Mitt may have hurt himself. Mitt is so busy creating the perfect candidate he has lost touch with the real world.

Have you heard him come out with criticism of Bachman or Perry, I bet not as his handlers have told him he is in the lead and not to touch others in the party.

He has bashed the president repeatedly, promised he will put the country back to work (has yet to provide a plan or idea on that one) and has gone on to make speeches across the country.

Now someone Mitt needed cooperation from, and who Mitt used is speaking up saying he thought Mitt was his friend and probably was until Mitt got in front of the press.

I just wish Mitt could be happy with being less than perfect, tell us how he can do better than what we have and then let the voters decide.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Mr. Romney's wife and parents are as pro-choice as they come and were pro-choice pioneers in our country.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 22, 2011 8:12 p.m.

And this is news worthy..... whats going on in Lybia..... nope. Syria.... are you kidding me! It is the Mitt watch 24/7.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 8:53 p.m.

If I were Romney, I'd avoid any endorsement from Anderson, Rove or GWB.
    Any one of the three would be the kiss of death.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 6:43 a.m.

If not being a supporter of Rocky Anderson places me in with the fringe, put me in as far as possible. His policies and attitudes left a legacy for SLC not unlike Jimmy Carter's for the nation. Mitt is smart to distance himself.

• facts_r_stubborn Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:18 a.m.

Anderson is right about one thing. The insane idea that you can't be friends with anyone you disagree with politically. Even elected officials in the public eye should be able to have friends on both sides of the aisle without being assailed by irrational people. I have nothing against Rocky personally.

On the other hand, in my opinion Anderson is just as off base and wrong on the issues coming from a far left perspective as Governor Perry, Bachman and Paul are on the right. All of them pander to the fringes. None of them ever ground their political beliefs with facts.

Anderson was on of the worst mayors Salt Lake ever had, and it wasn't because he is far left. He simply was so involved in national political issues and accusing President Bush of treason, that he had no time to do his job. His job was patching pot holes and public safety. Salt Lake's current mayor is a democrat for a democrat dominated city, but he does his job. Becker does the mayor's job well. Partisanship has no place in local government, and it should have much less influence in national politics as well.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:31 a.m.

The point of this is not Anderson. It is actually about Romney who will throw friends under the bus for political gain. He will change his positions to suit the particular audience. He even gratuitously dissed the French people (not the leaders) where he served his mission. That was what finally pushed me into the camp of the opposition in 2007-08. Romney has no firm principles. His situational ethics are alarming. I truly fear for the nation should he become President.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Man, the vitriol against Rocky and their cries that he is irrelevant? "Methinks he dost protest too much...."
    And when I say "he" I of course mean "they" and we know who "they" are, don't we. He's hardly irrelevant when I see him pop up in these pages so often and he can still inspire such anger. Keep punching, Rocky! "I love this guy....mostly because "they" seem so scared of what he has to say.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:54 a.m.

I put Rocky in the same corner as the ACLU. Anti everything that is red, white and blue, even American pie. Not to worry Mitt.

• speed66 Heber City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 8:02 a.m.

What matters about this story isn't Rocky's opinion of Mitt. No expects cross-party endorsements anymore. Rocky was courageous when he did it the first time - Mitt paraded it around and Dems criticized Rocky for crossing to the "dark side".

What matters is Mitt's inability to hold his line on anything. He wants to win so bad that he is morphing to whatever he thinks will win. In the end, this will be his undoing. Universal health care, the third worst job creating gov in the US, his constant flip-flopping, I mean flop-flipping...oh no, you like flip-flopping...okay then, that's what I really mean.

Mitt is his own worst enemy. Even complaining about the President's vacation in Martha's vineyard at the very same time that he is going to be there.

I think the criticisms are real and while mormons may vote for him based on his church membership alone, they will likely have to look the over way as they pull the lever (metaphorically at least).

• kreese Taft, CA
    Aug. 23, 2011 8:51 a.m.

I didn't know they were once friends---I feel better now.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Aug. 23, 2011 8:57 a.m.

"Fundamental to our theology is belief in individual freedom of inquiry, thought, and expression." Gordon B Hinckley, the Ensign 1985.

Mormons relish the idea of freedom of the individual and anything that impedes that, such as political correctness which has run amuck in recent times, hinders the free flow of ideas. Government that interferes with that, such as we see in the Democrat party and what they say about the Tea Party, is an anathema to what we believe.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Is it too late for Romney to flip flop and run for Orin Hatch's Senatorial spot?
    Mitt would fit in so much better in little ol' Mormon Utah!
    Forgive and forget! Sure that Rocky would put in a good word for Mitt!

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:31 a.m.

You Romney lovers ought to take a hard look at how many new jobs he created while making millions as the CEO of Bain Capital.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Mike In Cedar City makes a point - kind of. I don't think he intended to but he did. Some folks beleive that business is a welfare project intended to provide secure employemnt for ever and in all conditions. That is the union approach. In the real world the business is owned by people who would not invest if they could not expect a return on their money. There would be no jobs for anyone otherwise. There would be no government to speak of and there would be no personal freedom which is dependant on people having jobs. Otherwise we would be subsistance farmers. When a business folds it is becasue the owners are loosing money hence the Bain Capital reference Mike talks about. Sometimes a business just does not work and can not survive. It is the way of the real world.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Some folks complain about American jobs moving overseas. There is a reason. Owners demand a return on their investment and when they don't get it they either sell out and invest elsewhere or they take the buisiness to a place where they can make money. Labor costs (think unions) and government interferance (think EPA) is a huge part of that.

In the USA, unions demand $300.00 a day - the loaded rate. In China employees make $3 a day. You do the math. In the US the environmentalists demand people sacrifice so a squirrel or fish can survive. People do not matter. Is it any wonder businesses leave? A Mitt Romney or a Herman Cain know this. They are better suited to deal with this problem than the failed Barack Obama. Yet all we here from Democrats are vain ramblings from the very people who have become part of the problem and none of the solution.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:30 p.m.

My point seems to have been lost on JLfuller, "sort of". I was not making any moral judgment on business entities, I was simply pointing out that Romney really did not gain experience in job creation with Bain Capital, even though he sells his business credentials primarily based upon that association. If the country needs a job creator, is Romney really qualified by reason of that experience? I don't think that Bain Capital's Business Darwinism tought him much more than how to make a boat load of money. I am sure he can well afford his new 12000 sq. foot house and his other residences. I just wonder how many people lost have theirs because of Romney's extraordinary business acumen.

It seems that war and mayhem are "the way of the real world" as well. But should it really be that way?

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 5:37 p.m.

Isn't it Rocky who has left all his friends? . . . . wasn't I reading last week of his trashing the Democrats and walking out of the party? . . . Poor lonely fellow.

• alwaysthinking Farmington, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 5:54 p.m.

I have never been a big fan of Rocky Anderson, however I do agree with some of the other readers that I won't vote for 'flip flop" Romney either. Rocky may be a bit strange and always grabbing for the spotlight, but at least he does stick to his guns when he believes in something; to me Romney says whatever to whomever is listening, depending on what they want to hear.

• Canuk SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 11:26 a.m.

This is the same rocky that stood with his middle finger held up when Pres Bush came to town to speak to the VFW. This is the same rocky who tried to sell the air between the 2 malls so that a walk way over the street could not be constructed by the LDS Church. It is needed not only to unite the 2 malls, but to help when the weather is cold and snowy, and so that no one is running across the tracks to get to the other side. What in the world would they have in common?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Re: Mike in Cedar City | 9:31 a.m. Aug. 23, 2011

Likewise, the liberals ought to look at how many new jobs Obama has created. The answer is in the wrath he is facing from the unions. Our national unemployment rate is 9.1% and it is 15.9% for black men.

Not to worry however; Obama is on vacation working on a plan ......