High school football: 2011 championship picks

Comments

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Alta - 5A
    Westlake - 4A (only if Ursua QB is playing there), otherwise I'd go with Logan.
    Juan Diego - 3A

I think the final four in 5A will be Alta, Lone Peak, Fremont, and Davis.

don't know enough about anyone else to comment, and surprised nobody picked Bingham to win it even though they're ranked #1.

Great job DNews on high school football so far, looking forward to another great season.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:21 a.m.

I think the picks are pretty fair and accurate. I was surprised with all the hype Lone Peak has received lately they weren't picked more. I still see Bingham making the semi's this year. Excited to see what they do tonight. More so excited to see how the offense does. I know the D will be tough.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Herriman is 4A, not 5A...actually in the same region as Hillcrest, your surprise pick in 4A, Mr. Gurney

• cubs4life South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Gotta love the pics by all these reporters,

Because if I am not mistaken, they are telling the number 1 ranked team in the state and 26-0 recently that the ranking means absolutely nothing, and that fremont alta and lone peak are all behind them still and but yet they are picking them?

How does a 4-7 team go from a horrible year, to all a sudden favorite? with all new coaches???

Lone Peak has a small line, and we know lines can win a championship, why I believe with the huge line from Bingham with there defense, no one will score on them.

Fremont should of been #1 with all that talent back. But they could lose to bingham before of the lines. There skill positions are great!

But common, not one person picks bingham!

Smart call there people. They are solid again this year you watch, maybe run it to 40-0 in utah after this years 14-0

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Manti in 2A. Enterprise to do a lot better than seventh in south region. Duchesne in 1A. Juan Diego in 3A.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Amy,
    How can a team picked by the Des News and in most other polls as the team to beat in 2A exceed expectations and not win another title?

San Juan Pre-Season Rankings by Poll
    - KSL Coaches #1
    -Des News #1
    -SL Tribune #1

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Alta...really? They were an amazing 4 - 7 last year.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:11 a.m.

CUBS4LIFE......relax dude its just a poll.....I am sure the Alta folks could make the same reverse arguement....why is Bingham rated no. 1 based on winning a championship LAST YEAR!...

Polls should be maintained based upon this years prospective teams!

Bingham can fix this by doing one thing...winning!

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Interesting choices in 5A. I'd like to know what the reasoning is for picking Fremont, Alta and Lone Peak as favorites over Bingham when these same writers have the Miners ranked number 1.
    How about an article telling us why you picked who you picked in all classifications? Should make for some interesting reading, especially comments from fans who disagree with you.

• Boys of Fall Fillmore, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:23 a.m.

I agree with Me, Myself and I. How can a team that's the preseason #1, that hasn't lost to a Utah school in 2 years, and are back-to-back champions exceed expectations? I think expectations are always pretty high down there in S.E. Utah. Just like they are for any school with tradition in a certain sport. Should have also picked Bingham to exceed expectations.
    I will be interested to see how SJ does though with only 3 returning starters on Off. & none on Def. (is that true M,M&I?) But, looking at their schedule I don't see them even really being challenged until they go to Richfield the 5th week. They have great coaches and kids that know how to step up so I never count them out.
    I also agree with Carver that Manti will be tough in 2A this year. I was surprised nobody picked them. It will be interesting to see how they do against Delta tonight.
    Looking forward to another great season. Good luck to all the teams.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:26 a.m.

If you watched their JV team, you would know why Alta was picked. The only thing that may hold them back is the fact they have a new coach. But he served all 6 years under Hamiliton, so don't think he really is "new". But I agree I don't get how they have Bingham in every other poll done as #1, then not 1 picks them to win it all.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:53 a.m.

Gunner,

from south jordan,

How can you base this year off of what happened in the JV game last year for Alta?
    When Alta let some guys play both that game and the one against Bingham, oh and which Bingham had juniors not even play that game, so you cant even bring that up buddy.

A new coach Can make or Break a team, unless the team is that good, and which who is even the kid starting at QB this year,
    Alta has some playersfor sure, and defensive skill guys, but who is the QB and wil they be able to score on Binghams D?

• porkpies SANDY, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Nice to see that Alta has become the Notre Dame of Utah football, even off a LOSING season, they're still featured with photo nearly everyday. Let's get it on!

• B-Rade WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Well I'm still rooting for Taylorsville!!! I know I will probably get laughed off the message boards, but hey with their new region they have a chance to win 2 or 3 more games this year. GO WARRIORS!!!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:29 p.m.

binghamalum, the worst team Alta has had in a six years scored 4 td's on last year's Bingham team, are you saying this Bingham defense is better than last years defense or that Alta is going to be worse than last year?

• 4BS St George, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:41 p.m.

I can't believe all the Pine View kool Aid drinkers, they're overrated again. They don't have a QB and a lot of question marks on defense. Pretty sure it's Hurricane's to lose, with Juan Diego on their heels.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:22 p.m.

LOVE it!!! It starts tonight and all the "projections" and lip service given out (like by plyxply and Alta fans) will be either put up or shut up.
    I seem to remember all the talk about the mighty Hawks last year, yet they kept losing and losing. And somehow it was all a fluke. Well let's bring it on this year. The Miners won't be what they were last year, that will never happen again, but they aren't going to be anyone's doormat either, they are going to make some noise. I think its great to have plenty of good teams out there to make for another great high school football season once again.

Wahooo football season is upon us!!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:27 p.m.

plyxply,
    Alta scored 26 last year, highest on Bingham that year yes!
    2 touchdowns were blown coverages early, and one was with a minute left in the game against 3rd team defense
    and you still lost by 23,
    so if its the worse team in 6 years, how are they all of a sudden picked by alot of ppl to win it? Thats one Huge JUMP of talent in one year.

you can score 4 touchdowns, but Bingham has this thing called an offense, that usually scores.

should be one great black and blue battle again.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:37 p.m.

binghamalum: How many Jr.'s did Bingham have playing Varsity ball last year? Very few. The majority of the Jr's last year played JV ball. Along with a few sophomores. And no, Alta didn't play very many in both games. The majority of Alta's varsity team last year were Sr.'s. And the Alta QB did get quite a bit of time the last 5 games. A lot more than the current QB at Bingham. Alta's RB also started all year for them last year. Not the same can be said for Bingham, nor their WR's. Bingham's D will be very though. I bleed blue and white through and through. But I also am realistic in that Alta is going to be a very stiff test for this years Miners. And this year's Bingham defense is not as tough as last years. No Afalava playing due to suspension is a big blow. Their LB group consists of 1 Sr. for the Alta game. I hope they pull it out, and I think they can. But if you think Alta won't score on them you are looking through blue tinted sunglasses. BUDDY!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:45 p.m.

last year's teams, both Alta and Bingham are long gone, but this year's group of Alta seniors and juniors are very talented and haven't lost many games from little league, soph, and jv which is why they're being picked.
    You said nobody would score on this year's Bingham team, so you're saying this year's Bingham defense is better than last years which gave up 4 td's to Alta? And for your info, your starting defense played the entire game against Alta, Seni was in as were all of your starting db's and lb's on the last td.
    Just wanting clarification to your BOLD predictions so when we're on here after next week's game we have something to talk about :).

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:46 p.m.

And that one thing called offense has a new QB, a new RB, both which will be a drop off from Cantwell and Langi. All new WR's, and a load of new guys on the O line. So to assume that the O will be the same as last year is a pretty big assumption.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:01 p.m.

plyxply | 1:45 p.m. Aug. 19, 2011
    There will be plenty to talk about in a couple of weeks that's for sure and we will see who's standing. I also seem to remember after Alta's losses, the hawk nests were very very empty and quiet on these boards. It doesn't really matter who was playing or not on the last TD because its true Alta still got trounced. Just as you are pumping up the greatness of this years Alta team, we won't discount this year's Bingham team and their talent.

Go Miners!

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Timpview please beat Alta so all the self anointed Champion Alta bloggers will take a breath!

• teamrucci SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:29 p.m.

We look forward to playing all & the teams.I don't know the teams and don't care what they did in the past...PineView will put a very good team on the field and
    to put pressure on who is one and two .. Let the boys play .Play safe.,smart and most of all have fun..

• FRiDAY NiGHT RiDER Salt Lake City, UT

9. Park City
    10. Wasatch

ON THE BUBBLE-
    Cedar, Dixie

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Watch the Jag's knock off the mighty miners tonight. Can't wait to get on here tomorrow for the "told you so's" part of my week.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:30 p.m.

I think it's kind of funny how people want to predict how good a team is going to be by the number of returning starters they have on roster. I played for Bingham in 2006 and that year we had only 3 returning on offense and 4 on defense. We had to replace our RB, QB, and 4 out of 5 offensive linemen including the center.

The result was we we're better at most of those positions than the year before and went on to a 14-0 season(there's only been two of those in state history).

In high school when you are constantly replacing players, success comes more from the culture of the team rather than who you got coming back.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:43 p.m.

watchfuleye | 4:03 p.m. Aug. 19, 2011

Hahahahah, yeah me too. Hope you can back up your words. But I am thinking your really not a Jag fan, just wanna stir the pot a little

• play hard Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:44 p.m.

My rankings 1-BRIGHTON 2-Who cares !

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Gunner, how can you compare this years QB RB for Bingham to Cantwell and Langi, who are both playing college football now, and langi might start for a pac 12 school, the backup would of been a starter anywhere else, you think becasue his experience was not great that him and lail are not ready for there turn?? They are so hungry and thats what people have no idea about when it comes to the bingham football team, having seen them up close and how many extra meetings as a team they would set up and how close they were, they are ready to go,

ps
    why is aflava not playing?? suspended for how long?

it wont matter against WJ but against ALTA oh yes it will, common be back by then ha,

• Sportsman Sandy, Ut
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Just because Bingham is ranked #1 in the first poll doesn't mean the writers have to think that team is the one who going to take state. Many sportwriters don't believe Oklahoma or Alabama are going to win it all in college football.The initial rankings are a best guess scenerio based on mainly the reputation and history of the school.Bingham earned the right to be #1 because of those qualifications but that only gets them a number by their name. The belief of these writers is that Bingham won't be able to hang on by seasons end and raise the trophy. It will interesting to watch it unfold and see if they are correct.Enjoy it! Football's back!!!

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:38 p.m.

My jags just couldn't stop the running game of the miners. Next week should be a good one with Alta and Bingham. See everyone at the U. Jags - keep your heads up. The region we are now in will better for us.

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:00 p.m.

West Jordan just put up 28 points on that mighty miner defense...hahahahahah. Good night miners your are done in the black and blue game.

• Rapid Alpine, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:00 a.m.

I'm glad Lone Peak is under the radar. You really think Fremont will be in the championship game when they just lost to Jordan?? I'm tired of this Lone Peak has a small line, sure it's not as big as some of the lines out there but seriously they aren't small and they are more skilled then half of the lines out there. Watching lone peak's game tonight vs Bountiful who is known for Defense; Chase had plenty of time and they are the best blocking down the field linemen ive ever seen. Every team that plays lone peak this year will lose if they don't take Lone Peak's line seriously.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:12 a.m.

Thankfully for Springville, Dixie is in 3-A...

• UtAhUtEsSp0rTs South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:54 a.m.

West Jordan also scored 23 points on last years Bingham defense.. So this year Bingham was expected to not have as strong of a defense so doesn't it make sense that West Jordan scored a little more than last year, especially when they have a lot better offense than they had last year?
    A kickoff return to the 12 yard line, and a pass play when the DB slipped sure helped West Jordan out a bit though. Not that Binghams DB's were overly impressive anyways. The line for Bungham was as strong as ever protecting against the run for the majority of the game.
    Not taking away anything from West Jordan though because at times they looked like one of the top teams in the state.
    Binghams DBs had better show up against teams with a much better passing attack like Alta, Lone Peak, and Cottonwood if they want a chance at the title.
    Next weeks Black and Blue game is certainly one that I am looking forward to watching.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:54 a.m.

PrepSportsFan: Actually they put up 7 on the starting D. And that was on a horrible no call on an offensive pass interference. 2 td's were against the 2nd string D, and one was a kick off return that took it back to the Miners 10. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Aug. 20, 2011 2:21 a.m.

Why did one of the reporters pick Logan to win the 4A title? I'm an MC Mustang but I still think Highland has a better shot to repeat than Logan getting past the first round. Sorry but I say there are just to many good teams in 4A for the grizzlies to have those high hopes and MC is one of them.

• BT1984 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:17 a.m.

I'm not surprised that West Jordan scored 28 points on Bingham last night.
    I've been saying all along that the Jags have a better offense than most casual observers give them credit for. But Bingham's offense was just too much for West Jordan last night. Alta fans crow about Bingham's defense allowing 4 touchdowns but conveniently ignore the 6 TDs Bingham scored, and a pretty good field goal to boot(no pun intended). Another little detail Alta fans are ignoring is that, unlike Alta, Bingham kept the lead after scoring a touchdown 25 seconds into the game.
    From the article on the Timpview/Alta game it's obvious that Timpview mistakes were a huge factor in the outcome. Bingham made its share of mistakes last night but nothing game-changing.

• mmgbjh Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Chase Hansen at Lone Peak is going to make some noise this year. Bountiful is not as bad as Lone Peak made them look last night.

Logan's DJ Nelson is playing really well, so don't count them out but Springville and Timpview are still the top dogs. Watch out for Mountain View though, they have a strong offensive line and their running backs are going to be solid.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 11:45 a.m.

My picks would be this generally:

5-A: Lone Peak if Chase Hansen stays healthy. No team in the large division relies on one player more.
    4-A: Highland as the Rams look like the real deal with great coaching and Fish at the controls.
    3-A: Wide open race. My early pick is Pine View but I could see Hurricane winning or it Spanish Fork, Juan Diego's reign ends. I think this will be a fun classification.
    2-A: Have no idea, San Juan is a safe pick but wouldn't be shocked if Millard won it.
    1-A: Duchesne but this Diamond Ranch team intrigues me as I hear their QB is a legit D-1 prospect.

• Utefan4life96 South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Where's the I Told you so's now??? Yeah you guys don't realize how hard Bingham works day in and day out.... From offseason training as a group to organized team training to practice each day... These kids have been working hard since they were Freshman to play for Bingham and they showed up a team that had 4 skills that have started since their Freshman year...

• Doug Whitmore South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 11:00 p.m.

I don't think Bingham is as talented as Alta, but I still think they will pull off another 5A title. tefan4life96 hit the nail on the head. These kids make it their mission to work harder than anyone. I know most kids playing HS football work hard, but I honetly do not think any teams work harder. Bingham is always loyal to the seniors. Some teams give the nod to the underclassman if all things are equal and there is some logic to that, but coach Peck will always give the senior the benefit of the doubt. I think Alta had this with Les, the kids always know if they work hard for 2-3 years, they will get their shot and the seniors want to make their mark. It feeds the fire in the program. Finally, I think the depth and not having kids go both ways. Other teams that have kids playing both sides of the ball wear out in the 4th quarter and down the stretch in the season. Look at how many teams run out of gas. Seriously look at teams that blew late games and then see how many play both ways. Direct coorelation.

• Bench Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Doug- You are right, but forgot one thing, "move-ins"

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 8:15 a.m.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Bingham was impressive with their win, WJ didn't do anything against their defense....the only "real" td WJ got was on a long pass play and it was questionable whether it was offensive pass interference. And if Bingham would've kept running the ball instead of trying to pass it they would've probably scored 60 in the first half.
    Alta was equally impressive outside of the three early turnovers. Over 500 yards of offense and their defense held Timpview to negative rushing yards. This week's game will be another classic, probably will be decided late in the game and turnovers and penalties will be a major factor. Alta's strength is their run defense, Bingham's strength is their run game, can't wait for this one!
    Afalava was suspended for two games for breaking a team rule, I won't specify what rule but it happened last year and is just now being enforced.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 22, 2011 11:36 p.m.

I did think the O line for Bingham was sub par in the pass protection department. Lail was running for his life back there and was hit repeatedly. Could be why some of his passes were high, or off target. But their running game was impressive. That #24 is a freaking load! More than once a WJ lb had a clean hit in the hole on him and he would end up dragging the LB for another 5 yards. Then with #29 hitting the outside, he is pretty quick. Alta's defense is built to be fast to the ball, so it should be a very interesting game. Go Miners!

• WestvalleyLancers WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Granger Lancers are gonna do great this year. So is kearns high school. Taylorsville will be the same if they don't get a new coach. Hunter and west will be okay.. Viewmont will be okayy.

• WestvalleyLancers WEST VALLEY CITY, UT

3.Pleasant Grove
    4.Riverton
    5.American Fork
    6.lehi

• Tiger_Souljah H-Town, UT
    Oct. 17, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Lol @ all the Pine View picks!

• SUPERTONGANMAN SANDY, UT
    Oct. 21, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Pine View for the Championship!...oh wait, they didn't even make the playoffs? Oh how about Spanish Fork? Didn't even win Region? There are only 2 teams in 3A and we all know who they are.

• Unbiased AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Dec. 6, 2011 10:15 p.m.

@papi_chulo

"Rapid...Jordan is a very good team and you better hope that Lone Peak doesn't meet them or Fremont in the playoffs because the pretty little Knights from down south will get ran off the field by either team."

Hmmm...I guess the "pretty little Knights" had other plans.

• small school fan Duchesne, UT
    Dec. 13, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Duchesne Football is BEAST. Enough said.