Utah Utes football: Jordan Wynn misses practice due to illness

Comments

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Bummer to not have Wynn today and looks like the next couple days but I'm a huge believer that developing Hays by getting him extra reps will become a huge blessing in disguise as illustrated in Hays' drastic improvement already - nice to see Hays go 9-10 in yesterday's scrimmage. It would've been tough to make that improvement without Wynn's throw count.
    Wynn will be fine throwing the ball and running the offense so I don't think he has to have all the reps. I just don't have complete confidence that he won't take a vicious sack in the USC game and go down with a re-injured shoulder or an entirely new injury.
    If that happens, we need Hays to be ready to pull a Ratliff!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Jake Heaps never gets sick.

• N.C.Y. Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:03 p.m.

They held a meeting? That's all the reporting we get? What was it for? Why did they have it? Why did Whit say it was mostly positive? Somethings not right. Or else the reporters aren't will to pry to much and let us know what's really going on.

• Ted H Sandy, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Mildred, sometimes it takes 4-5 posts for Max to be proven right. This time, just 2.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:08 p.m.

@ N.C.Y. | 2:03 p.m. Aug. 17, 2011
    Iowa City, IA

Coaches meeting with the team and you dream up a conspiracy theory? Get a grip.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:17 p.m.

@Ted H

I think Mildred is 100% serious, because she is a BYU fan. She always posts stuff like that.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:27 p.m.

And how many posts does it usually take to prove that Utah-haters who support Maxie's comments aren't that bright?

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Ted H:

FYI Mildred in Fillmore is neither a Y fan or a U fan. He is Earnest T Bass 2.0 (kind of odd 'Ole Earnest disappears and Mildred suddenly shows up saying the same stuff). He does the same thing on BYU articles. He's just trying to get a reaction.

Just lookin out.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:03 p.m.

The "pitch count" that the coaches/trainers have Wynn on needs to be done away with. If the offense really is behind, there is no reason to keep the pitch count going if his arm really isn't sore as they have been saying. The offense is behind schedule. Kind of like BYU's offense was behind schedule last year when the quarterback reps were being split 50/50. How can the offense "click" if the starting QB is only there part time? If they are really going to catch up the offense to where they would like it, Wynn needs to be getting reps in this new system and with all the new players so they can gain a trust and familiarity with each other. Just saying.

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:14 p.m.

Ok....get the "colds" out of the way...and get healthy/ready for the season.

Get well, Wynn!!!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:24 p.m.

riddlemethis:

Yes I'm well aware he(ernest) posts the same on BYU articles. Pretty lame. The sad part however is there are so many Utah fans who fail to see him for what he is. And they end up arguing with him, which is kind of ironic because they're arguing with one of their own. Need an example of those who have a tough time with reality: see dontMUSSwUtah above.

A poor attempt to paint BYU fans as foolish in reality ends up painting the red as less than brilliant.

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Utah's O Lineman are dropping like flies. The starting QB only plays half the time while learning a new system. RB's who, while talented, are all very inexperienced.

Utah is going to struggle. There is no way around it. Whittingham is going to have to be the coach of the year to get Utah to 8 wins this year.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Ha ha ha. You're right teddy. Because i thought Milred was a BYU fan, i was definitely trying to "paint" a bad picture of BYU, but failed, thus making my school look bad. Touchy, aren't we?

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:21 p.m.

@ DontMUSSwUtah | 4:13 p.m. Aug. 17, 2011
    SOUTH JORDAN, UT

Careful. You are going to get a "Max was right."

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:25 p.m.

mushyUtah,

A little slow are we? It's mildred, not you, trying to paint byu fans as foolish. However, you do help to reverse the roles as you and so many others, who fail to realize that mildred is one of your own, end up arguing with her and show your incompetence. It's like you're arguing with the guy in the mirror.

LOL

• Alpha Chicken Orem, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Oh Man I remember Max Hall! He is my favorite BYU quarterback of all time in the whole world! He had six personal turn overs during a huge whoopin' on the hill. Final score 48-24 as Utah went undefeated on their way to a BCS bustin' bowl win. AGAIN! Thanks for the memories! I was there! By the way it was apple beer that I spilled and I felt really bad about the whole thing.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Teddy Bear

You sound like you're having a bad day. I was just trying to help you out dog. Riddlemethis can tell you that Ernest/Mildred is neither Utah nor BYU. I know I'm know I'm more educated now because of his wisdom. It does sound like some Utah fans have gotten the better of you in the past though. I'm sorry for this bud. Have a great day!!!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Ted,

If the quote below reflects your thinking, you are a shallow person. If you went to BYU (or any college) they probably taught you in Sociology or History 101 that generalizations of an entire population are dangerous (see Hitler). I'd be careful about saying Max was right.

"I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, I hate their fans, I hate everything." Max Hall

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I hate to interupt the hate debate, but the real issue here is Wynn.

Can the Utes win without Wynn?

Sore shoulder, needs rest, sick, trainer's advice, whatever the reason, there's no substitute for live practice, and it's impossible for Wynn and Utah's offense to get up to speed with Wynn standing on the sidelines or not even attending practice.

Two weeks from today the Utes step onto the football for a real football game that they're not even close to being prepared for offensively.

Utah could be headed for a SW Baptist type embarrassment if they're not careful.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Looks like a slick way to cover Wynn's real status. Keeping his throws down and now in bed sick. I believe you will see Whit come out with some type of statement, "We are preparing in the event that Wynn does not get ready in time." Wynn will not last the first two games, let alone the thrid.

I sense concern on the part of the coaches and most of all the fans. I wish
    Wynn the best but have my doubts.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 6:49 p.m.

I am so glad Utah plays Montana in their first game, if ever there was a year where the offense could use another week before they have to play a good team it's this one.

I think that Wynn and the O line will be healthy for Montana, but they will still be rusty.

In some good news, according to espn, USC is having the same problems with their O line as we are, ie. lots of injuries and not much depth.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 7:01 p.m.

@ PAC man

"Utah could be headed for a SW Baptist type embarrassment if they're not careful"

I'm sure all Utah fans appreciate your concern. If you're looking for a little balance in your diet I've provide a excerpt from one of today's BYU articles:

"The offense struggled again with the passing game. Jake Heaps went just 1-for 5 for 17 yards on a completion to Dallin Cutler. ... Riley Nelson didn't get off a single pass during his series of reps as he was sacked twice."

BYU could be headed for a Utah State type embarrassment if they're not careful. That was too easy

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 7:17 p.m.

U 90

Thanks for the hillarious response, but the truth is:

If you asked fans how worried they are about their respective offenses; on a scale of 1 (extremely confident) to 10 (panic stricken)

BYU fans = 2 approaching 1
    Utah fans = 9 approaching 10

• Jute19 Poop, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Thanks for telling Ute fans how we feel. I really appreciate it. I just wonder what you cougars are going to be playing for this year? A berth to the Southwest Toilet bowl?

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 8:46 p.m.

Be interesting to see if USC has the motivation to play a whole season knowing they can't do anything with their wins. Yes we all like to believe that they are motivated by playing the game, but they're still kids and when you take away their trophy before the season begins it can dampen spirits in those tight games. At any rate, the game will be a good one. UTEs defense is very solid, with lots of playmakers. The offense will be slow to start, but White is running well (6 yards a carry) and getting back some starting horses will help. The question mark is Wynn. Does he have the mental toughness to come out and prove himself? He has the skills. He is healthy (contrary to wishes otherwise), the sickness is a slow down, not a worry. Hays with the #1s is a different story than we are reading in the paper. Gotta be tough on the oddsmakers. If all we were hearing were rosy reports, then it wouldn't be sports now would it? Gonna be fun.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Aug. 17, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Tell me, Ute fans: Is Utah playing anybody besides BYU? Every article about your team turns into a BYU bash. You'd better get ready for USC, Washington, Pitt, Arizona State, Oregon State and even UCLA. You could end up with a losing season and eating a lot of crow.

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:02 p.m.

@gchris
    For your information, the Ute fans aren't who prepare for the games, it's the players and their definitely preparing for the big games ahead. We bash on BYU because their our rival. Looking forward to seeing your cougars go 6-6.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:08 p.m.

gchris. I hope you posted a similar note on the BYU stories. Most of the BYU fans say "looking forward to Sept 17". Not the Texas game, not the Ole Miss game, not the TCU game. Just the Utah game.

Let's compare November, shall we?
    Utah plays Arizona, UCLA, Washington State, Colorado
    BYU plays Idaho, New Mexico State, and has 2 open dates. Oooh. Rough.

Maybe that's why Sept 17 is so important to Cougar fans. It's their bowl game.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 18, 2011 4:58 a.m.

@PAC

The truth is most Utah fans will tell you that as long as KW doesn't open up with a 2 QB system we should be okay by the USC game.

Furthermore, PAC-12 play doesn't really kick in for another 6 weeks so I expect our offensive to be ready by then. If not then Chow and KW are not as good as everyone thinks.

@gchris

Don't be lazy go to ESPN and under PAC-12 you'll find our schedule.

Every article about Utah brings out Duckhunter and his ilk on their riveting analysis of how bad Utah looks in scrimmages and how great BYU looks. So I guess you can say it the "bashing" works both ways.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 7:19 a.m.

@moderate

"Most of the BYU fans say "looking forward to Sept 17". Not the Texas game..."

Last year when all of the chest thumping was heard around the state everyone heard how BYU was going to be in the rear view mirror, how irrelevant BYU was going to be, no ability to recruit, no money, etc.

Quite the opposite has happened and it has incited Utesies ever since the announcement that stole the thunder of the Utes mighy (now crippled) march to the left coast.

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

• Pac12Utes Up on the Hill, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 8:43 a.m.

"Typical response from a scared Ute fan knowing that the bragging rights are heading South this year, a year where a lot of chips are on the table."

sammyg,

A lot of chips are on the table? Maybe for BYU. Its simple. Utah loses to BYU, and we still have a chance to go to the BCS. BYU loses to Utah, and you are out of the BCS picture.

You and your ilk keep coming on here and telling us all how bad the utes are going to be and wishing us luck and what not. Keep it coming I say. In 2008, there was a lot of your banter and look where that got us.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Even I'm getting worried about the QB situation, I don't ever remember a Utah QB missing 3 days of practice due to illness, oh well theres a first for everything.

On another note has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of BYU trolls reside in the out lying suburbs of Provo? Must be something in the water. There is one for Rock Springs and for that you have my true sympathies.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Maybe the WR's need to share the same drinking water from Wynnie cause they won't be catching much of anything this season.

• RC2179 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:20 a.m.

I am a loyal Utah fan. But I must be honest... I don't think Jordan Wynn is that good (even when healthy and uninjured, he was unimpressive). I would much rather start a freshman this year so that he can quickly develop (similar to Heaps last season). It would probably cost the team a couple of wins this season but the experience would place the U in a much better position for the next couple of seasons.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 1:02 p.m.

As long as Wynn is on the field, BYU has a chance to win. Get better Mr. Wynn! Don't even know his first name...

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Aug. 18, 2011 1:25 p.m.

"We bash on BYU because their (sic) our rival."

Silly GoUtesss. I appreciate the old school sentiment, but BYU is NOT your rival -- the Colorado Buffs are now your rival. Is the PAC12 not getting the message accross to ute nation???

Go Cougs.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 6:51 p.m.

So Jordan Wynn has the shoulder flu.

The Good news is you have a cure, the same guys that discovered cold Fusion, scientists Martin Fleisehmann and Stanley Pons at the University of Utah who successfully unlocked "Cold Fusion" with there tabletop experiment.
    Told Kyle Whittingam to get a new Offensive line and all will be well.

With Utahs offense line I understand.