BYU football: Linebackers coach Kelly Poppinga loves what he's doing, and it shows

Comments

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Not nice to see these injuries piling up.

VERY nice to see how strong BYU will be at linebacker this year.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 8:07 p.m.

It really is a shame that 'Ziggy' didn't grow up playing football- at RB he would have been a bigger and faster version of Brandon Jacobs. Good luck to all these guys!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Aug. 16, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Personally, I just love the name Poppinga. Its almost as good as Jimmer. Color commentator,"Whoa! That linebacker poppingaed the running back!"

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:17 p.m.

This could be a very fun year for the Cougar Nation.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 17, 2011 6:12 a.m.

Just win, baby! Do that and it'll be a fun year, a very fun year indeed. And I guarantee the noise from the naysayers will also die out eventually. In fact it wouldn't matter one bit what any of them say anymore if we win out on the field for that matter. Short of that, I'm afraid the haters and mockers will continue to have a field day at our expense.

So let's go Cougs. Let's win out and make our first year of independence a real blast!

And good luck to the Utes too. Hope they win their conference and bring the Rose Bowl trophy home too after we smacked them on the 17th, lol!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 7:34 a.m.

"Then there's Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, a 6-foot-6, 270-pound work-in-progress from Ghana who started playing football last year."

"Ansah, a junior who was a sprinter on the BYU track team in 2009, has recorded several "whistle" sacks during fall camp."

Is this a typo? A sprinter at 6'6" 270lbs? I think I'm avoiding that guy.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 8:01 a.m.

nottyou

I agree with you. That is one big dude.

When I played football, I played D-line. I was only 155 pounds but I was quick. We had our offensive tackle pull sometimes. He was 6'3" and about 250 lbs. He ran the 40 in 4.7 seconds. When he pulled in practice and I had to go outside and saw him coming, I knew I was dead.

This kid will do lots of damage to people if he's that big and can really sprint. And we get to watch every moment of it this year. HELLO ESPN!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 8:43 a.m.

I am more intriuged by Ansah than anyone else at this point. With his size he should be on the D-Line. He must be fast. I hope he gets into some games this year. 6'6" 270 lbs, and he's an OLB...Wow

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:57 a.m.

What is Ziggy's 40 time? Does BYU have a 6'7" linebacker that runs a 4.2?

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:28 p.m.

@TJ

He probably would be playing DE in a 4-3 system, but in Bronco's 3-4 the DEs have a lot more responsibilities and Ansah has only been playing football for a year now. This has been really evident against running plays where Ansah has not showed very well, yet. Where he does excel is in pass rushing because of his combination of size, strength and speed, so Bronco is using him like a nickelback in obvious passing situations. He will indeed be fun to watch this year and may very well end up leading the defense in sacks.