BYU football: Cougar offense has plenty of options

Comments

• Spoxjox Redmond, WA
    Aug. 16, 2011 12:15 a.m.

The Cougs have a great season ahead of them. And we get to watch EVERY GAME!

• ATC Stockton, CA
    Aug. 16, 2011 12:44 a.m.

I really want the first play against Ole Miss to be a long ball to Ross Apo, preferably a touchdown, but even a completion or a PI call would really set the tone and momentum for the game.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 16, 2011 7:33 a.m.

...a PI call to set the tone??? A touchdown pass I can understand...but a PI call. Where's your faith???

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 16, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Thanks, Stockton! A long bomb touchdown on the first play of the game anybody can understand. In fact, I have been fantasizing about the pass play to McKay in the OU game, except in perfect stride.

Still, a long PI serves notice to a young group of defensive backs, the whole defense and every Mississippi fan in or out of the stadium that BYU has come to attack every sqare inch of the field between them and the goal posts.

Every player wants the play to come to him. I'd love it, from early on, for the Rebel pass defenders to start FEARING the play will come to them.

Hey, it's my fantasy! I've been paying for it with every minute that has dragged by this summer. Ute trolls and others can have their own day dreams...

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 8:21 a.m.

"So many weapons" can mean no one has really risen above and distinguished themselves as "the" playmaker.

"So many formations" is great, but execution is key. E-x-e-c-u-t-i-o-n. Remember the Crowton years?

"Best press box coach in the nation." Look, I love the Cougars, but I hate, hate, hate the constant, year-by-year-by-year hyperbole. "Best offensive line in the country," "Best offensive line ever." (Not one started a game in the NFL.) Last year it was "One of the top ten receiver groups in the nation," and they couldn't catch a cold.

Just put your head down and say, "We're working hard to be as good as we can," "We're just trying to get ready of Mississippi State," "We're just trying to learn a new system," instead of, "So many weapons," "Best coach in the nation," "So many formations."

"Blessed are those who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble." Alma 32:16

"Prove me now herewith." Malachi 3:10

"Ye receive no witness until AFTER the trial of your faith."

I know you are excited, coach and staff, but SHOW it, don't brag about it. Please.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 8:24 a.m.

Bragging is false confidence, which easily wilts in the heat.

In other words, blessings flow from humility. Humble up, shut up, work it up, run up the score, and then STILL be humble.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Rational

Thanks, minister. Save it for Sunday.

There's nothing wrong with having self-confidence and saying so publicly.

For false, self-confidence, see the "biggest game in Utah history", South Bend 2010 disaster, and Las Vegas Bowl 2010.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:30 a.m.

I haven't heard any "bragging". I have heard all the players and coaches saying how hard they are working to be the best they can be. I hear confidence each time they speak. I hear that they have come together and trust each other to complete their assignments on each play. You have to expect to become great before you become great.
    Doman does have a lot of weapons with a lot of potential. That, with the new formations will prevent the defenses from focusing on one or two plays by simply looking at the formations. There are still question marks such as receiving and tight ends but I am really looking forward to some good football.

• Alaskan Coug Anchorage, AK
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:33 a.m.

"Rational"
    Give Doman a break. He has a right to his opinion, he didn't say as you quoted. He said "And I THINK we have the best press box coach in America in (tight ends coach) Lance..." People have the right to THINK someone is the best at something. Based on how long Coach Lance has lasted be my very well be the Best at this or that.

Now concerning our young quarterback statement:
    "It's really scary for opposing defenses to look at our offense," Not too accurate yet as no defenses have "looked" at our offense in action yet this year. Lets hope this come true.

Lets hope for hard work, some good breaks and a great season

GO COUGS

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:41 a.m.

It sounds like BYU will be in contention for the National Championship again this year. I can't see one area of concern on either side of the ball. A superior and experienced coaching staff, top notch athletes who represent the church extremely well, the best facilities in the country, the most dominant home field advantage, high level national exposure. How could we expect anything less than a BCS Championship game appearance? Bronco has the boys headed for higher ground. I've never been so excited for a BYU football season to get here.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:43 a.m.

With an experienced and talented offensive line opening holes and protecting our quarterback, a deep and varied backfield, a quarterback with a cannon for an arm and an itch to prove himself against good competition, a good group of receivers that hopefully improved their precision and pass-catching from a year ago, and an offensive coordinator who is less predictable and willing to use the weapons he has, BYU fans have every reason to be optimistic.

It's possible for one or more (or even all) of these things not to pan out...so feel free to bring your half empty glasses to the party. My glasses have blue tint and the whole world looks great :)

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:58 a.m.

I agree. Nothing has been accomplished yet. I'd like to see them shut up, practice and then win the games. Then, after the season, they can then smile, knowing inside that they had a great season. But now? This attitude scares me.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 16, 2011 10:19 a.m.

@ Y Grd Y Dad...

True...

Haven't we all been fantasizing long bombs in slow motion... while throwing sticks and stones at trolls... I like the really serious ones.... but it's all just fun...especially when you can get them to take it soooooooooooo seriously. I like the throwbacks. Some are really hilarious. Beats twiddling thumbs. I have a couple of favorites and pick up a couple of new ones on occasion. Can't wait to see the team in action. Haven't been this excited for a season to start since MAC's senior year. I've got a great feeling for this bunch...and with all the instability among the conference rumors it's actually nice to have BYU be able to ease back and not be concerned. I don't see them going undefeated this season...that would be pushing the envelope...but it's going to be a good season. I really like the coaching changes.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Our offense this year should be terrific. Averaging 35 points a game should be no problem.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 16, 2011 12:09 p.m.

I'm glad BYU has a positive attitude. It will be interesting to see if it translates into good play and wins.

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Rational

I am optimistic, this is the point! I hope for 12 - 0! Every year starts with high expectations. It is great that BYU actually has solid talent (with depth) at each position (this includes punting and kicking) and exceptional talent in several positions. They are still very young and may make enough mistakes to not win every game, but the talent is there. 12 - 0 is not out of the park!

There is no lack of depth or health at quarterback and Heaps so far has been great! The Oline is healthy, talented and deep as are the running backs and receivers. Most important, they are all getting quality practice to ensure exceptional execution!

I am happy that I can be optimistic instead of worrying is Wynn healthy, what happens if he goes down, how is the Oline going to survive the PAC12 schedule, will the running backs step up in the PAC 12, and can we even make a medium range field goal?

So far Bronco has give us a lot to be optimistic about!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 1:35 p.m.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging your stregnths, that's where confidence comes from. Arrogance would be guaranteeing a victory over Ole Miss. That's not what the coaches are doing.

Go Cougs!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Cougar Claws -- Who is worried about Ole Miss? That will be a cakewalk. This BYU team has no flaws. They will steamroll the first half of the schedule and absolutely cream the second half. Only real question is who they will play in the BCS Championship game. Come on, get on board -- Cougs are going all the way this year.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 16, 2011 2:18 p.m.

hmmm...are you sure you're UU32???

• PA Rock Man Allentown, PA
    Aug. 16, 2011 2:42 p.m.

I am also excited about about this season, but I have realistic expectations about our offense. So many weapons? Surely we don't have as many weapons as when we had Collie, Pitta, and Unga behind the effective Max Hall while being guided by an experienced and proven offensive coordinator. I am glad my cougars are confident, but they still have a lot of questions to answer.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Sorry, been reading so many articles and posts trumpeting the Cougs that I started to drink the Kool-Aid. From everything I've read and heard coming out of Provo, you would have to agree with my previous post though right? The Cougs are so loaded at every single position that a single loss will be very surprising and disappointing. When I listen to Heaps - there is no area of the team that needs improvement at all - he even says the front 7 on defense are in the top 10 in the country. His confidence, the confidence of the coaching staff and especially the confidence of Cougar Nation has me all giddy. It will be exciting to see another crystal trophy in Provo to compliment the one from 1984.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 16, 2011 3:43 p.m.

@UU32 - aren't you a Ute fan? Well, I think you've hit on something. I don't like our QB spouting off about how great we are. This'll go on bulletin boards. Ole Miss won't be a cakewalk. They have a huge line and will run and run. We'll have to execute against traditionally fast DBs. Ole Miss might not be the best in the SEC, but they'd be a power in MTN, every year.

I think BYU can beat Ole Miss. I'll be there to see it. But someone needs to put a filter on Heaps' mouth.

• WestCoast1 Escondido, CA
    Aug. 16, 2011 3:45 p.m.

truth machine:

You say "For false, self-confidence, see the 'biggest game in Utah history', South Bend 2010 disaster, and Las Vegas Bowl 2010."

But you have conveniently omitted the Florida State massacre of 2010 in Provo, the Nevada debacle in Provo of 2010, TCU and Air Force's destruction of BYU in 2010, BYU's heartbreak in Salt Lake in 2010, and BYU's total embarrassment in Logan in 2010.

Selective memory?

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Aug. 16, 2011 6:37 p.m.

@ BlueHusky | 3:43 p.m. Aug. 16, 2011
    Mission Viejo, CA

"But someone needs to put a filter on Heaps' mouth". I thought that is what his publicist is for.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Aug. 16, 2011 6:40 p.m.

WestCoast1

Selective memory?

Hardly. Nobody in the BYU camp was talking national championship before the biggest game in Utah history; BYU outplayed Utah; nobody was surprised that a very good Air Force team beat a young and inexperienced BYU squad; the Florida State loss was not unexpected. To be sure, Nevada was a disappointment, but I blame the Utah State entirely on Hill, who literally stopped calling defensive plays in the first half, allowing the Aggies to score against a base defense with no real assignments.

As soon as Bronco took over the defense and Heaps and his receivers started getting quality practice time, BYU improved dramatically.

Compare that to Utah whose offense virtually disappeared during the TCU and never recovered, and who defense wasn't much better.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:17 p.m.

Currently, until you beat Utah St, you are the 3rd best collegiate team in the state. Beat Utah St, and then you will go back to where you belong. The 2nd best team in the state.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:26 p.m.

Again though, there is nothing wrong with Jake Heaps thinking his team can be good and having confidence in them. As long as he's not comparing BYU to other teams, I think that's what matters.

• Outsideview Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 16, 2011 10:01 p.m.

Most years begin with easy games (see Utah schedule). It allows you to get started and work out the rust before you play the truly important games. It is smart scheduleing. Unfortunately, BYU doesnt have that luxury.

I liked Domans explanation of why he decided to stay on the sideline. He has experience in the press box and despite all the predictions he feels he needs to be on the sideline to help his inexperienced quarterback. Good reasoning.

As for everyone prdicting 30-40 pts per game. Get real. I would like to see and hear a more humble approach to the difficult schedule they will be playing. Just win baby and talk later in December. Just another area that BYU Salt Lake has a better approach than BYU Provo.

• George Q's Aide-de-Camp North Logan, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2011 11:51 p.m.

@ Outsideview,

Totally agree. Heaps needs to quit providing bulletin board material with every soundbyte. He's still talking like that cocky freshmen from last year.

As for the Crowton years, if I remember right, the execution the first year was awesome until Staley hurt the leg. I would be happy if Doman can repeat that first year success, then sustain it. He was the quarterback of that great offense. Hopefully he remembers what worked.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:49 p.m.

"It's really scary for opposing defenses to look at our offense,"
    Now what would really be ridiculous would have been if Wynnie up north had said that. But I can actually get behind a QB like Heaps that has that kind of confidence, Heaps has the OL and skills to actually backup his smack talk. Being confident hasn't hurt Collie in the NFL it seems.

• Fat Tony EAGLE RIVER, AK
    Aug. 18, 2011 12:11 a.m.

I like the confidence, all the great QBs had a ton of confidence. Football needs to be played with confidence. With all the smack talk from Utes, I guess their team is "humbly" and "realistically" just hoping to win a few this season.