View from the Booth: Questions loom after Utes' first scrimmage

Comments

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Aug. 11, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Lets set the record straight at the safety position. There is no competition going on for that position contrary to what this paper reports. McGill and Rowe from day one have received most of the reps. They have great days as reported in this paper because no other safety's are given any reps. From day one they have received the red carpet treatment while the other safety's are shoved to the side to watch practice bored to tears.

There is nothing equal or fair about the competition at safety. It was a stacked deck long before fall camp ever started.

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 4:03 p.m.

I'm impressed you could see that all the way from Idaho, flintrock.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 5:22 p.m.

I believe Wynn has potential but its amazing how thin we are at QB. Hays will get killed if Wynn goes down.

Travis Wilson can't get on campus fast enough.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 5:31 p.m.

@flintrock

It sounds like you might know somebody who is already a safety.

The coaches need to prepare this team for the PAC-12. I remember watching an unheralded freshman come out of nowhere to claim a starting cornerback position named Eric Weddle.

I've got to trust the coaches and their assessment of talent. Sometimes guys who've busted their butts and really paid their dues get surpassed. It's not really fair, but it's about getting the best team on the field.

If McGill, Rowe & Michael Walker are the next play makers and get the job done, it will be hard to critize the coaching.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Re Flintrock:

It's not that the deck is stacked it's that McGill and Rowe are just clearly the 2 best safetys. I heard one radio host say that Rowe is better now than Blechen was last year. As for McGill he was the 10th rated JUCO prospect in the nation and the #1 rated JUCO safety last year, and he's owning it this year, he is legit. They didn't steal the safety positions they took them over.

4 of 12 with 3 interceptions, two of which were returned for touchdowns, is probably the worst stat line I've ever seen. If Hays is clearly the 2nd best QB with those numbers Shreve must be horrible. I hope the light goes on for our backup QBs or we could be in serious trouble if Wynn goes down.

• Steve_Timmins LAS VEGAS, NV
    Aug. 11, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Thanks for the insight Bill!

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Aug. 11, 2011 7:36 p.m.

I not saying they are not good. Why does the newspaper pretend there is a competition going on when there clearly is not. And that has been the case from day one.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 11, 2011 8:26 p.m.

flint, it does sound like you know someone on the team. Hopefully they are not as disgruntled about it as you are...

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 11, 2011 8:38 p.m.

John White may be a good situational back, but he will not give the Utes the downhill running game they want and need. He's only 5'9" and he's not Jacquizz Rodgers. U need someone like Wide or Asiata with White as a 2nd option.

If Langi's performance doesn't improve quickly he will find himself working on his game in 2011 as a redshirt. I think Langi will end up being a good RB, but this illustrates how misguided the star ranking system is. Quezada was ranked 3 stars, Langi was ranked 4; but Quezada was much more ready for D1 football as a Freshman. There are some who claim that Bingham's successful run game had more to do with Manoa Pikula than Langi. We know where he ended up. Time will tell.

The offensive line must be keeping Whit up at night. Very scary situation.

No run game + no offensive line + a QB who can't scramble + no backup QB = disaster. Hope you find an answer by Sept 17 or it could get embarrassing.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 8:58 p.m.

@cougfan

Embarrassing will be going 7-6. Again. After a 1-4 start. Again. After another loss to Utah. Again. Then watching Utah go to another BCS game. Again.

Utah 10-2 or 11-1
    byu 7-6 or 6-7
    Hold me to it. I'll hold you to it also.

• regis Murray, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 9:32 p.m.

A good and insightful article. We've got a good quarterback. Let's hope the law of averages work for us this year and Wynn stays healthy throughout the year. I'm confident the running game will work itself out. And the positives about the defense are very encouraging. If the defense is as good as claimed in this article, it ought to give the Utes a chance to win every game they play.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 11, 2011 9:40 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

----------

And you made that analysis from 7 carries for Langi in a scrimmage?

My analysis shows that Quezada in his first five games carried the ball for 10 times for 44 yards. So if he was ready for D1 football why did Bronco not play him? I guess he doesn't believe in the "2 Back System" like the "2 QB System"?

Also, he couldn't run against good defenses but he did rip apart bad teams at the end of the season--much like Heaps.

Utah's running game will be fine, I am worried about the injury plagued O-line and Wynn's shoulder.

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 10:27 p.m.

It was the first scrimmage of the year, and they've been practicing less than 3 days in pads. Can anyone really expect them to look like they are in midseason form? Plus their o-line is pretty battered. I think most people underestimate how much an o-line can affect a team. Wait until BYU's offense smokes their D. Then the new topic on these blogs will be how crappy BYU's defense looks. September 17th will be as intense of a game as always. I'm stoked.
    Go Utes!

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Let me get this straight- the U defense is deep and will be one of the best in the PAC. The running game and backup QBs are struggling against this great defense. Utah will not face many better defenses than what they are practicing against........ = The offense will probably be fine. It takes much more practice to get a less-experienced offense hitting on all cylinders than the defense.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:37 a.m.

"Backup QB Jon Hayes struggled mightily against the first- and second-team defense. Hayes, who is still clearly the second-best QB on the roster, went 4-for-12 for 27 yards and tossed three interceptions. A week into camp and three weeks until the opener against Montana State, it's Jordan Wynn or bust with the Utah offense."

An injury-prone starting QB who is still recovering from major surgery on his throwing shoulder, a thin offensive line, no proven running backs, all new receivers, and absolutely no backup QB.

By my calculations, Utah's top two QBs were a combined 13 of 29, for 179 yards, 1 TD, 3 ints, 3 fumbles, several sacks, and a QB rating of 87.37.

Ouch!

Is there any good news about Utah's offense?

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:58 a.m.

Flynn

The defense always outperforms the offense early in fall camp. You can go back year after year and see this was true.

It is true that it all starts with the O-line. If the O-line can't hold back the defense, then the running game won't go anywhere. Also, if they pressure the QB, he won't be able to get passes off before they sack him.

So, the question is: Did Hays have a terrible performance in the scrimmage because of the constant pressure of the D? Most likely, yes. So if Utah can get their 1st O-line back on the field, then I think that they will do great.

• RCR Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 6:08 a.m.

Sounds like a normal UofU team. Great defense with an adequate offense.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 6:45 a.m.

9 for 17? The offense depends on this QB?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 6:48 a.m.

Spin city... denial, panic and frustration are rising. It will be utter chaos in 4 weeks at 1-2 or maybe even 0-3

It really could be a difficult year.

• jimmypage Meridian, ID
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:43 a.m.

If I was a ute (insert sigh of relief here) I'd be terrified about the offense. No offensive line = no offense. The utes are treading on very thin ice.

I sure will enjoy watching countless utes jump off the band-wagon as this season falls apart like a piece of dry, crusty old bread.

Here's to thousands of utes staying home when "their team" is in town.

• UteGrad2010 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:46 a.m.

The Ute's will go undefeted this year. The Cougar's wont even sho up this year, marc it DOWN!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:57 a.m.

@Ken
    "Utah 10-2 or 11-1
    byu 7-6 or 6-7
    Hold me to it. I'll hold you to it also."

I think you have a typo. I think you meant BYU 10-2 or 11-1, Utah 7-6 or 6-7. Although if Wynn goes down, 7-6 would be a dream season. If Wynn goes down, I predict a winless season from that point on. I hope he stays healthy. I don't want to hear excuses on Sept 17.

@Uteology
    "And you made that analysis from 7 carries for Langi in a scrimmage?"

Actually I made my analysis from the entirety of Spring practice and all of the practice sessions in August, along with listening to what Whit has to say. He's not exactly gushing over Langi. I also included in my analysis the fact the Utah has no O line. Langi will be a good RB, he just needs time to develop and is not ready for primetime as a Freshman. It wouldn't be fair to him to put that burden on him. Give him a year or two and he'll be develop into a solid RB.

• BYUte06 Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:25 a.m.

I heard from another source the main reason for Langi's lackluster performance was because he was running behind the 2nd unit offense, who has struggled against the 2nd team defense thus far in practice.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Nice to hear our BYU brethren revelling in all of Utah's injuries. Way to keep it classy, guys. I guess I can't blame you for being a bit giddy - if all 22 Utah starters get hurt, you might have a fighting chance whenever it is that Utah and BYU play.

• jimmypage Meridian, ID
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:03 a.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin:
    It's a pretty bad sign when you're already making excuses for losing to BYU, and we're still in fall camp! Injuries or no injuries, BYU will handily beat utah this year.

• landcplus6 SANDY, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:46 a.m.

I don't think it is quite panic time for the U. It is true that defenses are usually ahead of offenses this time of the year and Kyle always manages to put out a really good defense. However, they really do need Wynn to get healthy and the O-line to step it up to have similar success to the past few years.

Being a Cougar, I hope the Utes have a great year with the exception of 9/17.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Aug. 13, 2011 6:48 p.m.

"Questions loom"? I think the only question is whether the Utes will win 5 games or 6.....?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 16, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Just an idea. Move a couple d-linemen to the offensive line. Take one o-lineman and move him to the d-line. Balance.