BYU football: Y. receivers are showing new coach's influence

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:24 p.m.

I thought Friel might push for the starting role. Hopefully his hamstring will mend quickly. Hopefully, he won't need it, but I believe he has a redshirt if needed.

I love the talent and depth at WR. This will be a storied year.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:32 p.m.

I think this dynamic duo along with the 2010 #1 nationally ranked HS QB will put on some very good shows this season.

I can't wait. This will be something to see.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:49 p.m.

I think BYU has an amazing coaching staff.

BYU is going to be very underrated this year. Look for them to go either, I think, 10-2 or 9-3, with loses only against Texas, TCU and maybe Hawaii.

• BaneOfHedgehog Bothell, WA
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:06 p.m.

12-0 going into a BCS bowl game, PTB!!

Mark it down!

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:54 p.m.

I agree with BaneOfHedgehog! while I am always over optimistic, I can't see BYU loosing a game. Old Miss will only be difficult because of their O-line. I believe that the extreme height of Old Miss's O-line will work against them in the run game. This depends on all of BYU's D-linemen being healthy, They (BYU D-line) are very solid and at six feet to six feet two, and around 300 pounds, they will be impossible to get under and get leverage on. They will collapse Old Miss's O-Line and free up the linebackers to tackle. No run game. Given Old Miss's Q-back position, they will not have a game changing passing attack. Their defense is still shaky, Heaps and Company will smoke them.

Texas has great athletes, but they will still not be ready for what BYU brings. (No designated Q-Back and new offense.)

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 10, 2011 5:35 a.m.

Ben Cahoon will be the coach who makes the biggest difference this year. Watch for BYU receivers to run crisp routes and never drop a ball! That was Cahoon's style back in the 90's as a receiver at BYU.

Go Cougars!

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Isn't it time for kick-off yet...I can't stand the wait!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Cahoon is the best assistant coach in America - bar none.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:03 a.m.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Bet with the passing success BYU will have in this and future years, tall, fast receivers will become the norm.

BYU recruit ranking will climb every year.

Loving independence!

• Flame of the West Southern, Cali
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Why the indoor practice facility? You are going to disappoint alot of Ute 'fans' who come watch and learn how the game is played.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Wow, this coach is sensational. What a hire for BYU. I'd love to see a bomb from the first down vs. Mississippi for a TD to start the game and get Mississippi really nervous.

I don't think we should predict losses. If this team is as good as coaches are saying, there is no one they can't beat.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:36 a.m.

T -25 days and counting

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:40 a.m.

who is on the offensive line for BYU this year?
    Who is the RB???
    Will Mike Hague get any PT???
    Saw Jordan Pendleton last week playing golf, Kid is Finally healthy and ready to go this year. Look out people.
    oh and its sad to say, but Good job on the Transfer Riley Nelson, you will be sitting this year and next. Sorry Buddy.
    Still absolutely hate that BYU is independent, i mean great for the school and money and all that schedule, but common, win 11-1 and no conference championship to show for it, just so so so sad, wont ever be allowed in same breath as Notre Dame.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Love my Cougs, but just a couple critiques on the article. Even so he may have said it, do we REALLY need to know that Cahoon gets "emotional" when his guys try new things and they work? Probably could have/should have kept that portion out. And on Fangupo's "pick", why do we need to know he rumbled for a TD "though the play had already been whistled dead"? That falls into the category of "who cares." With that beeing said, let's hope for a strong football season.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 9:49 a.m.

"How can Bronco watch every rep of every group? Does each group line up and wait their turn?"

Whoa Nellie:

My guess is he can walk and chew gum at the same time. What a concept.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Whoa nellie:

Ever heard of film??

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 10:05 a.m.

@ binghamalum | 9:40 a.m. Aug. 10, 2011
    South Jordan, UT

Let me help you out here friend.

"But if Heaps is not going on a mission, he will be the starting QB all 4 years for this school and have a chance to break alot of records."

Heaps is a 20 year old MARRIED man. Haven't seen a lot of those guys on missions.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Whoa Nellie:
    Film

Mildred;
    Cahooon isn't the best assistent coach in the country but I am betting he is one of the best receiver coaches around. He is exactly what the BYU receivers need. BYU has several very talented young receivers. Cahoon has been there and done that. Considering his size and mediocre athletic abilities, he did more than many who had much more talent and potential. He has the players respect and will teach the young receivers how to make the most of thier talent.

ps: In case you were wondering, no one on these posts takes you seriously. You are a minor amusement at best and usually less than that.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Love the enthusiasm, but gee whiz, why not just wait for the games to be played? All of this hype and speculation is "over the top". Hope all of these "dreams" aren't shattered. In the meantime, "Go Cougs"!

• Bigred1 SAN DIEGO, CA
    Aug. 10, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Herbert Gravy | 10:33 a.m. Aug. 10, 2011

"All of this hype and speculation is "over the top". Hope all of these "dreams" aren't shattered."

Thanks for that, I'll log that away. Don't be a stick in the mud. If you truly are a BYU fan, get a little excited for the upcoming season. The football team may not go 12-0 and win 5 successive national championships, but if you're not out of this world excited about the upcoming season, you need to go to the nearest doctor and have them check your pulse.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 10, 2011 12:16 p.m.

I agree with Herbert Gravy. I hope BYU does well. I really do. It's just that we've been let down way too many times when they play big-name opponents at the beginning of the season. I'll believe it when I see it.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 12:24 p.m.

@Portland TB
    3 great reasons why we will beat Texas, TCU and Hawaii? No offensive line, no offensive line and no offensive line.

All 3 schools are replacing 4 OL's from the previous year. Oklahoma had the same situation when we beat them on the road in 2009 and they had a Heisman winning QB, All American TE, and NFL WR's and RB'S.

Your only as good as your OL. This is a weakness we can exploit.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Regardless of who I cheer for I am very excited for football to start.

• Man About Town Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 12:59 p.m.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 1:00 p.m.

I loved watching Cahoon when I was a kid, and hope that his genius shows through in the kids he's working with now. Do we really have to wait 25 more days before kickoff?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 10, 2011 2:03 p.m.

DNews Sports editorial staff
    Any chance that a two part post of mine that was intended to be on this article about BYU's recievers and new Receiver's coach Ben Cahoon can be deleted from the PAC 12 series article on USC and transferred to this site. I'm not sure how I managed to get it on the wrong board not having read the USC article. I was using my laptop in the early morning hours with no mouse waiting for a train in Chicago...I must have made the error. I was wondering why the posts wern't here. I wouldn't have known they were on the USC board if it hadn't been for your acceptance message. They are the parts about Ole Miss and Hawaii and were the first two posts on that USC article.

Sorry for the confusion

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 10, 2011 2:50 p.m.

DNews Sports editor
    Very funny...that's not quite what I asked for. You posted my message to you and not the comments I asked you to shift from the USC article. I'm not the only one looking foolish...am I???

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:22 p.m.

"Independent, 1 word...... oklahoma. we beat them with a team that will probably be shown up by this years team!"

Yes, that was a great win. But you can't ignore the fact that it was by 1 point and was followed by two humiliating losses to Florida State. As far as this year's team showing up the team that beat OK goes, like I say, I'll believe it when I see it. I hope it happens.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:23 p.m.

@ Where's Stockton ??? | 2:50 p.m. Aug. 10, 2011
    Bowling Green, OH

Please stop. This is now beyond funny and quickly approaching sad.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 10, 2011 3:53 p.m.

1984forlife.
    You're absolutely right... last comment on this article
    I've often wondered about the dnews monitors...I've often thought they were Hedgie and Chrissy B...didn't really think they'd post a note to the editor as part of a blog though.