Mike Sorensen: Football is starting, so it's time for predictions for the in-state teams

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Mike,

If you read what you wrote in the Most Likely Scenario for BYU, the result is a 9 - 3 season, not a 8 - 4 season.

And even though, I'd love to see the Cougs go undefeated; I agree that 9 - 3 is probably a most likely scenario. The Cougs are very talented, but still very inexperienced. In 2012, they will be even better!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:50 p.m.

Best case senario undefeated, Heaps comes out smoking hot, and the D is stout and fired up. Most likely 10 & 2, Texas & TCU losses, worst case 6 &6. I prefer to remain optomistic until they prove otherwise.

Aug. 7, 2011 8:57 p.m.

Mike,

CougFaninTx is correct: you can't add--you only listed three possible losses for BYU.

Also, you're giving the Utes too much credit. Their past history vs Pac-10 teams on the road is dismal, and that won't SUDDENLY change this year, considering how thin they are at QB, uproven they are at some key positions, and they're learning a new offense.

The Utes WON'T hit the ground running this year. They'll get a rude awakening to what it's like to play week in and week out against BCS-quality talent.

I predict 4 for-sure Ute losses: @ USC, @ BYU, @ Pitt, and @ Cal.

I see at least one more loss likely from the vs Washington, vs Oregon St, or @ Arizona games--maybe even two of those.

My predictions:

- BYU 10-2 at worst; likely 11-1
    - Utes 7-5 at best; likely 5-7

Keep in mind that the Utes have 6 home games while BYU has 7, and the Utes DO have the tougher home schedule between the two schools, so THAT is an automatic plus 2 to 3 wins for BYU over Utah.

Nope, 8-4 for each team is NOT likely.

Aug. 7, 2011 9:13 p.m.

RE: my previous post...

Now, to be fair, the Utes' schedule has 10 of 12 games vs BCS schools, while BYU has only 4 of its 12 games vs them, although TCU can be considered as such (so, 5 of 12).

Still, UCF and Hawaii will be tougher games than over half of Utah's 10 BCS games. That gives the Utes a 8-7 advantage in opponent strength.

SOS-wise, we won't know until the season's over which team actually has the tougher schedule, although I'd give the nod to Utah because of the weak WAC teams BYU has on its schedule this year.

HOWEVER, that doesn't change my previous predictions, it just reinforces them (likely BYU 10-2, Utah 7-5).

Even so, if BYU goes undefeated, they'll justly earn a BCS bowl bearth, and might even do so at 11-1 if their one loss is to a team that's top 10 at regular season's end.

Good luck to the Utes. I do hope they run the table and make this great state proud. I just don't think it's likely, but I'll root for you, except on September 17th.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:47 p.m.

My predictions:

BYU: 9-3, (lose to: Texas, Oregon State, Hawaii)

Utah: 5-7, (lose to: USC, BYU, Pitt, Arizona State, Arizona, Cal, Washington State)

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:12 p.m.

I agree with the assessment for the Utes, but the assessment for the Cougars is very pessimistic. 8-4 is most likely for the Utes, but most BYU fans would be disappointed with an 8-4 season. I say 9-3 is most likely, and BYU has a good enough team to beat all 12 teams they face. 12-0 is best case scenario (you mention that in best-case BYU wins 2 of their first 3, but remember "best case" means things going in their favor-- 3-0 is definitely a possibility in best case), but for the sake of probability we can say 11-1. Speaking realistically it is not very likely at all for BYU to lose 7 games. They won't lose to Utah State this year.

In summary, I predict:

Utah: 10-2 best case, 4-8 worst case, 8-4 most likely
    BYU: 11-1 best case, 6-6 worst case, 9-3 most likely

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:32 p.m.

My prediction, some BYU fans will try and fail to convince the football world that a WAC light schedule is more grueling than a PAC 12 schedule. Not really a prediction as I have already witnessed it on these boards; about the funniest thing I have read in a long time; glad to see delusion alive and well.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Sorensen risks very little by making these predictions- they'll probably all be wrong, and no one will care. Brilliant journalism.

During the upcoming college football season, I'd like to hear this phrase repeated week every week. "And that's why you play the game." -Chris Berman

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:20 p.m.

flynn is the coolest | 11:01 p.m. Aug. 7, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

"I'd like to hear this phrase repeated week every week. "And that's why you play the game." -Chris Berman"
    ===

My predictions:

Utah and BYU will play all of their games.

Mark it down.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:55 p.m.

"My predictions:

Utah and BYU will play all of their games.

Mark it down."

I don't know, being physically present at the game and actually playing the game are two different things. For example, the Utah Jazz are scheduled for 84 games in the season and were there for 84 games, but they certainly didn't play 84 games. I really hope you're right.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:12 a.m.

I'll give a crack:

BYU 9-3
    Utah 7-5
    Utah State 7-5
    Weber State 5-7
    SUU 7-4

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:14 a.m.

Weber State 4-7...

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:18 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

Heaps still hasn't scored 17+ points on the road vs. above .500 defense.

@Ol Miss
    @Texas
    @OSU
    @Dallas vs TCU
    @Hawaii

If Heaps lives up to the hype BYU goes 4-1 if not 1-4 vs the teams above. Or hope that all those teams are bad. BYU is looking at a 10-2 season if Heaps is the real deal else 8-4.

Utah is looking at an 8-4 season.2

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 1:06 a.m.

My predictions:

Utah: 10-2 (losses to USC and ASU) They go to the CCG and barely lose to Oregon by 7 in Autzen Stadium. Really, there isn't a game on the schedule that Utah can't win. 2 losses are most likely.

BYU: 9-3 (losses to Texas, Utah, and TCU) After tough losses at the beginning of the season BYU finds their identity and wins against the "great" teams toward the end of their season. I really don't see a lot of wiggle room here. Maybe 1 game either higher or lower. I really don't see BYU losing more and I don't see them winning less.

Utah St: no predictions. I just hope that they win enough to get out of WAC and into a better conference. Even MWC is better than the dying WAC.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 8, 2011 6:24 a.m.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 6:50 a.m.

My prediction:

BYU 11-1

Utah 7-5

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 7:07 a.m.

There's nothing wrong with Sorensen's math.

He said, "The Cougars will likely split their first four games and only win two of the three games against Oregon State, TCU and Hawaii."

That means three losses in those particular games he mentioned... not the entire season. Clearly, he accounts for one more loss somewhere else on the schedule.

• onewhoknows Providence, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Laser:
    "Reembering last year I'm pretty sure USU will be a pushover. If I remember correct, BYU was young and unmotivated. The Aggies won't meet a "pushover" BYU. This will be BYU's first shutout of the year."

I wouldn't say that USU will be a pushover. With all the injuries they had last year they still handed it to BYU pretty good.

• utopia381 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 7:47 a.m.

Go SUU!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Utah - I agree with Mike that the post season is likely the Sun Bowl, perhaps with North Carolina or if AZ steps up this year the Utes could get pushed to the Holiday Bowl, perhaps with Texas. Utah 8-4

But, I don't agree that the Utes will find the PAC-12 to be more difficult. The move from the MWC means Utah gives up games; #7 Boise State, #15 TCU, #30 Air Force and takes on #26 AZ State and USC, #32 AZ, #46 Oregon State, and #48 Washington. The Utes have game for this conference.

Hoping the original BCS Busters humiliate their BCS opponents in the first year. If not, the BCS will do a big, "Told you so, non-AQ schools can't compete week after week at our level." Shutting and locking the door to a playoff and this time throwing away the key.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 8:50 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe, thanks for a great laugh to start my Monday off. Through your analysis that UCF and Hawaii are better than half of Utah's BCS schedule (UCF lost a ton from their ranked team last year, though they still got a few more votes in poll this year than BYU, less than Arizona) and conclusion that BYU's WAC heavy schedule is somehow even with the SOS of Utah this year. With Utah's OOC games including @BYU and @Pitt, they will likely have a Top 20 SOS. Last year, every single PAC-10 team was in the Top 10 in SOS, according to Sagarin. The PAC conference is the gold standard for toughest SOS, so you should probably stop being delusional that while having 7 non-AQ teams (4 of which are the equivalent of Montana St. or worse), BYU can match up.

Good luck to both Utah and BYU in their new adventures this year.

Aug. 8, 2011 8:59 a.m.

@ Uteology - 12:18am Aug 8

Good assessment on BYU's chances. Could go either way that you suggested.

However, I do expect Heaps to be the real deal, so it'll be at least 10-2.

BYU sophmores generally excell if they've had freshman playing time. Heaps set frosh records, so I expect a great year out of him.

Aug. 8, 2011 9:00 a.m.

@ Tomahawk Red - 7:07am Aug 8

No, Mike's math WAS incorrect. He didn't indicate that BYU would lose any of its "sure" wins against the lesser competition. He did list all of the tougher teams with the outcomes that only added up to 3 losses.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:06 a.m.

I sooo want to break up the BCS.

This year, I love all of these teams. BYU will show it deserves equal access to the big bowls. Utah must have a blow-out first season in the PAC-12 and show that it can compete with the BCS week after week. Utah State hoping the best.

I gave away my Idaho State ticket to buy AZ State ticket in SLC. I might even wear red.

Go Cougs! Go Utes! Go Aggies!

Aug. 8, 2011 9:08 a.m.

@ Thlete

Not sure where you read that I compared BYU's WAC schedule to Utah's Pac-12 schedule as "equal" SOS. I specifically said Utah had the advantage there. Well, maybe not specifically enough for you.

Your "PAC conference is the gold standard for toughest SOS" comment gave ME a great Monday laugh. You really think that conference compares to the SEC and Big 10? Really? Maybe in decades past, but not recently.

As I posted before, I believe Utah has the tougher schedule this year, and for that reason will have the worst record between the two schools.

However, it'd be nice if both went undefeated, except for BYU's "sure" win over the Utes in Provo in September!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:26 a.m.

My prediction:

Utah and BYU will have identical records by the end of August.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I think utah will be a .500 team this year but I don't think that is indicative of them having a poor program or even that the teams in the pac10 are so superior to them. I just think they lost alot from the last couple of years and are in for a down year. It is unfortunate that them being down a little coincides with them entering the pac10 and because of that there will be people that say it is proof that "mid-majors" can't compete on a week to week basis in the so called power conferences.

I completely reject that as I am pretty sure utah's 2004 and 2008 teams would have been very competitive in the pac10 on a weekly basis. Maybe they don't go undefeated since there are no gimmes but I can't imagine both of those teams wouldn't have battled for the pac10 championship.

So this year they'll struggle but it is because of a natural cycle much more than being indicative of an inferior program.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:50 a.m.

whatsinitforme

actually, according to phil steele (which is one of many different media outlets that will release an sos ranking, i know), the pac-12 has 4 teams in the top ten of sos for 2011. #1. colorado, #4 oregon state, #7. usc, #8. washington and arizona came in at #16. the sec has 2 in the top ten and 6 more from 11-25. the big ten had zero. i think it was you who said we won't know how great the sos is until the end of the season and i totally agree, but for know we work with what we got.

this year is laid out for the utes to be great. a 10-2 record is not unreasonable, however, neither is a 6-6 or 5-7 record.

big expectations are laid out for the cougars this year and i think 10-2 is best case scenario. to me, byu's schedule is full of trap games, starting with ole miss. byu could realistically start 0-3 this year. then again, so could utah (if they lose to montana st. we're in for a loooong season).

look for both utah to surprise and byu to be consistent

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Troy Hinds Troy Hinds Troy Hinds Troy Hinds Troy Hinds Troy Hinds... TO BYU ah ahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha ha ha

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 10:35 a.m.

y is more likely to start 0/3 than to finish 10/1.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 10:43 a.m.

BYU 7-5
    Wins: San Jose, Idaho, Idaho St, New Mexico St, and Utah St (Home game & revenge factor).
    Losses: Texas, Utah, and TCU.
    Trouble games: Ole Miss, UCF, Oregon St, and Hawaii. Three are road games. I know most BYU fans know very little about UCF, so they think they are not a quality team but they are good. Ole Miss did not have a good win/loss record last year but were in most of their games. Oregon St had a very similar year as Ole Miss. Hawaii is good at home crappy on the road. At the best BYU splits these games.

Utahs 10-2 or 9-3
    Wins: Montana St, BYU, WA, WA St, UCLA, Colorado, and Oregon St. Of this group, two of the stronger teams (Oregon St, WA) Utah plays at home. The BYU game is always tough but Im a Utah fan so I have Utah winning.
    Losses: USC, Pitt
    Trouble games: AZ St, AZ, and Cal. Two are on the road. AZ St is a decent team and AZ and Cal play well at home. They could drop one of these.

Go Utes!

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 10:47 a.m.

BYU 7-5
    Losses: Texas, Utah, and TCU.

Utahs 10-2 or 9-3
    Losses: USC, Pitt

Go Utes!

• G-Swenz Providence, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:01 a.m.

@Laser

How many more times will I hear a BYU fan use the tired excuse of their team "not being motivated". Anytime a team just doesn't care, it is a mark of a pathetic football team, and it doesn't just magically change.

Believe me, USU fans would know. We've had to endure all those years under Dennehy, Guy, etc. where half the team could have cared less.

Being motivated is the player's problem and nothing else. BYU got outplayed last year, period. And believe me they better not have "motivation issues" Sept. 30th, because USU has had probably even more upgrades as a team than BYU has.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Wiffed again Mike!

• Tom in MS Madison, MS
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Living here in Ole Miss/Miss. St. territory, the sports talk radio pundits don't give BYU much of a chance against Ole Miss. They seem to think that it will be the usual BYU of the past few starts of seasons (not that great), playing in our high temp/humidity, and they'll wilt. Ole Miss is starting their camp in 100 degree temps with high humidity. ATTENTION BYU - BRING YOUR PICKLE JUICE!!! As far as the prognostications go, it's all just a lot of fun, and not really serious stuff. No one knows what any team will do, how deep they are (in case of injury), etc. So, have your fun - I'm just excited that college football is starting. And I'll tell you what - I will still be cheering on my beloved Utes whether they go 12-0, or 8-4, or 5-7, or whatever.

• payara OREM, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:17 p.m.

BYU has two true trap games: At TCU in Dallas and at Hawaii.

Ol Miss win run, run, run; Trouble is, BYU is great against the run. Texas still does not have a starting QB so likely they will run alot til mid season.

BYU and Utah both know who won the game last year and BYU got rid of the stink and are looking for payback.

CFU will score plenty but BYU will score plenty more...42-24 or something.

OSU is tough at home and they have revenge on their mind after the Vegas bowl lose to BYU.

BYU 11-1, Utah 9-3. Go Utes and Go even harder BYU

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:18 p.m.

It's hard to say what games a team will win and what games a team will lose. I mean who expected BYU to beat OU and then they get creamed by a mediocre Florida State team at home. I would guess in BYU's case that Texas will be better than last year but an upset isn't out of the question. Predicting BYU vs Utah games is a tricky business, great rivalry with close games coming down to the end. I think the September schedule date takes some starch out of the rivalry and will upset the quality of play. I think the TCU game is winnable, the Horned Frogs lost a lot of players. Ole Miss isn't certainly scary, I think Hawaii is a trap game, they are tough at home for anyone. UCF will be a challenge. I see BYU losing three of these games but not sure which ones.

In the Utes case, every game in the PAC-12 should be taken seriously. Ask USC when they lost to UW at home. Every game will be tough. You can be a 7-5 team in the PAC-12 and still be decent team which Utah will be.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Here's one prediction - Utah loses to BYU and Washington (two games, one prediction).

Here's another - BYU starts 1-1, and loses to OSU in Corvallis. That makes it 10-2 methinks.

Finally - I've been saying this for a year - Utah will find out how very tough it is to win on the road in the PAC. They might be bowl eligible but little else.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:26 p.m.

"My predictions:

Utah and BYU will play all of their games.

Mark it down."

I must heartily object to such comments. Teams "play" basketball and soccer. football is not played; it is waged. BYU will wage football upon their opponents this year.

Go Cougars!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 2:39 p.m.

How convenient that the predicted mostlikely outcome is 8 - 4 for both Utah and BYU. I guess there's little thinking beyond selling newspapers in Salt Lake City.

Look for Utah State to continue their perrinial "mediocre" approach to football. THey beat an in-state rival; every onmce in a while and the coach keeps his job. This last year he enthusiastically pronounced it "a rivalry." A couple years ago the USU fans landed on the Cougars when they lett up a bit in the 4th quarter and suddenlt USU scored, after it was 34 - 0 after 3 quarters.

Any coach wanting to keep the job in Logan cannot lose too many or he gets fired, or win too many and he gets hired away by a real program. So look for USU to continue to be around .500 every year. And also look for them to want to play in Provo, Lincoln, Austin, Norman, Pasadena, etc for the gate receipts. SLC is too small, by the way, and the Utes are above playing USU anyway, of course, thanks to WSU, Colorado, Ariz, etc.

Aug. 8, 2011 2:53 p.m.

BYU's 2011 probable results:

@ Ole Miss - close at first, but BYU wins as the long-balls kill Ole Miss' secondary

@ Texas - a close BYU win with Texas' inexperienced QB making mistakes because of Bronco's agressive defense

vs Utah - lopsided BYU win avenging Anae's ineptness last year and that knee-down missed call

vs UCF - easy BYU win, but with most points put up against BYU's defense to this point

vs Utah St - blowout by BYU; pay-back!

vs San Jose St - easy win by BYU

@ Oregon St - tough, close BYU win

vs Idaho St - laugher for BYU

@ TCU - tough win for BYU; bye week needed to heal injuries

bye week - "healing the bruises" time

vs Idaho - easy win by BYU

vs New Mexico St - easy win by BYU

bye week - extra preparation for Hawaii so players aren't in vacation mode when they get there

@ Hawaii - BYU win; bye week keeps this from being a trap game

Result: 12-0, IF no key injuries or dumb mistakes

Toughest games: Ole Miss, Texas, Oregon St, TCU, and Hawaii (all road games, too).

Win or lose, bet I'm not far off on which games end up close.

Aug. 8, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Utes 2011 probable results:

vs Montana St - laugher for Utah

@ USC - blown out by USC

@ BYU - handled easily by BYU

bye week - time needed to get heads back on straight

vs Washington - close one; can't call it

vs Arizona St - close win by Utah

@ Pitt - handled easily by Pitt

@ Cal - another road BCS loss

vs Oregon St - close one; can't call it

@ Arizona - another Pac-12 road loss; wishing for another bye week about now

vs UCLA - close one; can't call it

@ Wash St - first road win by Utah, but a close one

vs Colorado - close one; can't call it; the Buffs show their previous BCS status

Result: 6-6, spitting each of the "too close to call" games

Toughest games: USC, BYU, Arizona St, Washington, Pitt, Cal, Oregons St, Arizona

Analysis: Utes find out what it's like to play BCS teams week after week. (BYU has that in their future, but not yet.)

Kudos to the Utes if they can get 8+ wins in 2011. Love to see the Utes do well, but feel my picks might just play out.

Aug. 8, 2011 3:33 p.m.

In my previous two posts on BYU's and Utah's 2011 fortunes, the points I'm making are:

- BYU does have the easier schedule between the two, so BYU's record should end up better than Utah's.

- Utah has more questions in their offense than BYU has in their defense, which will add to BYU's greater number of wins.

- Utah hasn't traditionally (past decade) done well vs Pac-10 teams on the road, so they'll have a tough time winning any this coming year.

- The MWC in the past decade has had plenty of wins against Pac-10 teams, showing me that it's not such a hot BCS conference right now. Still, it'll be tougher week to week for Utah than the MWC was.

I'd be quite happy if the Utes surprise me and get 9+ wins in 2011, but I'm not expecting it.

However, I AM expecting BYU to have no fewer than 9 wins, and believe they have the opportunity to go undefeated.

For both teams, a lot depends on injuries to key players, especially their QBs.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Cougars win every game and Utah loses every game. Jake wins the Heisman and Cougars are national champions.

• Itchy Lehi, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 5:25 p.m.

I think all the BYU fans that think 11-1 is most likely for BYU are drinking too much of the blue kool-aid. I think 9-3 or 8-4 is MUCH more likely. I also think my Utes might struggle a bit this year with the level of competition being much higher so I'm predicting 7-5 for them, although I certainly hope they prove me wrong.

• Fully Exposed Irvine, CA
    Aug. 8, 2011 5:53 p.m.

I love this prediction fantasy game.

BYU will win these games: Utah St, Idaho St, San Jose St, Idaho, New Mexico St and UCF --ending a 6-6 regular season.

A pretty good first season of being exposed on ESPN.

Aug. 8, 2011 6:06 p.m.

@ Itchy,

Good post. However, I believe the reasons BYU has a legitimate chance of running the table are:

Aug. 8, 2011 6:15 p.m.

@ Itchy,

Oops, hit the wrong key and it posted unfinished.

Again, I liked your post. You seem level-headed.

Reasons BYU can run table:

1. Schedule isn't unsurmountable; toughest teams are all missing key players from last year, rebuilding, etc.

2. Jake finished last year doing quite well, even though it was against lesser competition, but #3 explains why that's not an issue.

3. Jake has now grown up more, had a Spring and Fall practice as #1 QB, AND BYU QBs generally excel their soph years if they played their frosh years.

4. Bronco's defense will be even better than its improvement made last year after he took over.

Without key injuries or simply dumb plays (offense or defense), BYU has a legit chance to run the table in 2011. I don't think I'm drinking too much koolaid in thinking this way. Maybe a bit optimistic, but why not?

You might be correct about the Utes going 7-5, but it'll be an uphill climb considering their "tougher than they're used to" schedule in the Pac-12 and how thin they are at QB. Hopefully, they can keep Wynn healthy all year and suprpass that.

• Itchy Lehi, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 7:48 p.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

Thanks, you seem pretty level headed too, if maybe a tad too optimistic, but like you said there's nothing wrong with that. It's better than being all doom and gloom, right? The reality is that nobody really knows what will happen with BYU or Utah this year since they are both entering uncharted territory. In any case it should be an exciting season for both teams. BTW, I would love it if BYU went 11-1 with their only loss coming to an undefeated Utah team. How's that for unbridled optimism? LOL

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Going undefeated is hard, no matter how soft your schedule is and BYU's is generally soft. But only two teams went undefeated last year and they weren't very good teams, but great teams with two Heisman contenders, and one winner, at QB, not sure Heaps is there yet. It isn't impossible for BYU to run the table and a good argument was given how BYU could win each game, but I just don't think it will happen. BYU's most likely losses in order:

1. Texas--the Longhorns had a rough year, likely be much better, playing at home.
    2. TCU--seem to have Cougars number, Patterson is a great coach, game in Texas.
    3. Hawaii--if the Rainbow Warriors are any good, and if they have good team speed, they may give Cougars fits.
    4. Ole Miss--this will be a strange new environment for BYU football. Cougs probably match up talent wise to win it.
    5. Utah--Games of recent have always been close. I'm not sure if the Utes will be good, but they could be. They will be motivated and well coached for sure.
    6. Other--Upsets happen. Remember Randall Cunningham and UNLV beating McMahon.

Aug. 9, 2011 8:02 a.m.

@ Itchy,

And wouldn't you agree that if Utah was undefeated, they'd be in the top 10, and BYU COULD have a chance at a BCS bowl with that one loss?

It's fun to dream this time of year. But reality will bite sooner or later for both of us, I'm sure.

Aug. 9, 2011 8:09 a.m.

@ eagle,

Texas is probably the one game with the most question. Then maybe Oregon State, depending on both teams' records when they meet.

I don't believe the TCU game will be that much in TCU's favor. I wouldn't be surprised there are more BYU than TCU fans at that game, as it's at a neutral site so that there won't be any limitation on how many BYU fans can go to the game. BYU's defense against a new TCU QB might be the difference in this one. Not sure their defense can stop Jake & Company that consistently.

The Hawaii game will come after a BYU bye week, so I think Bronco will have the team ready for that one.

I believe BYU will win at Ole Miss because BYU always seems to be quite ready for their first team of the year, and because Ole Miss is missing a few good cylinders.

I totally expect BYU to handle Utah this year. The Utes have more questions and new things to learn than does BYU. And, they'll be coming off a bad loss to USC the week before, possibly with key injuries. Not that BYU's Texas game is easy.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 12:51 p.m.

As a Cougar fan I hope you're right whatinitforme. Like I said, you gave good arguments and I probably should have listed both UCF and Oregon State as possible losses for BYU. I think the Cougs have some questions marks at WR, can they get open and catch the ball to help Heaps? They also have some question marks at DB. At RB I hope they play Quezada more as I think he's the most talented in the stable, Kariya and DiLuigi are nice players but not game breakers. The TE's must improve but showed life at the end of the year. The OL, well they are experienced but I have always had a hard time with their size, meaning that they are large and sometimes speed rushers give them fits. The Cougs probably should run the ball more.

I think Cougs have 6-7 games on their schedule they could lose As I predicted before, I see them losing three games but maybe on further thinking 10-2 is just as likely. Last year was an off year for Texas, they will better. Expect a close game with Utah. The Utes have more talent than you think...

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 1:08 p.m.

All these BYU fans on here keep forgetting that last year's defeat in Logan came at the hands of what was essentially Utah State's 2nd and 3rd string (minus Borel and a couple of others). I don't care how unmotivated you are, if you call yourself a football team you should be able to beat USU's 2nd and 3rd string. While this year's game will be in Provo against an improved Jake Heaps, and there will be a revenge factor, I don't think it's gonna be a pushover game at all. USU has twice the team they had last year, and they have tasted blood. Sure, we have a couple of question marks at a couple of positions, but all things considered, including my natural bias, I'm going to say that Utah St. is going to keep the Old Wagon Wheel in Logan for at least another year. Either way, it will be a good, close fought game. USU 21, BYU 17

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Prediction; Ed Lamb leaves SUU after this year due to his amazing success.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 4:00 p.m.

A few terms many Y fans don't seem to understand:

Prediction . . . the act of predicting

Probable . . . having more evidence for than against

Ratiocinate . . . to reason logically

Unlikely . . . holding little prospect of success

Dubious . . . of doubtful quality or propriety

Pipedream . . . a fanciful or unrealistic notion, hope, or plan

Whats in it for unlikely dubious pipedreams?

• SUUBIRDMAN CEDAR CITY, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Best QB in Utah is in Cedar City

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 11:23 p.m.

utah 0-12

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 4:16 p.m.

You should be able to beat the USU football team even if you don't call yourself a football team. Don't you think. Worst team in the state there is no doubt about that.

• dartstock1 Dayton, NV
    Aug. 14, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Would anyone else like to witness a Utah State v Soouthern Utah game?

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Southern Utah would give them a run. If USU was any good they should not have let SUU score what we did. SUU is getting better and better. USU is not moving up or down. 3-4 wins a year, no confrence title, and no bowl game. If my memory serves me correct last year we had an undefeated confrence record, confrence title, and an invite to a bigger confrence. So yes I would like to see the birds play the aggies again. Good luck against Auburn. Should be a fun game for the Tigers.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2011 6:08 p.m.

I hope you are wrong #1 fan about Lamb leaving this year. He will have a great season but I hope he sticks around for a long time. USU best case is 3-4 wins. Will anyone argue?