BYU football: Ex-Cougars love Y.'s contract with ESPN

Comments

• sports fan Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:56 p.m.

no way BYU and ESPN have a contract? When were they planning on telling everyone about it? I think This is the very first time its been in the paper.

• bluelife FARMINGTON, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:49 a.m.

That is pretty neat to hear about the type of influence Steve Young has had at ESPN and how well it has reflected on the university.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:51 a.m.

Looking forward to seeing BYU on ESPN. I would have watched BYU on the Flintstone's TV over the MTN. I'm a Y fan and I am so excited about BYU and Utah's new future. It will make for an exciting fall. Outside of the game with BYU, I'll be hope the Utes succeed in the PAC 12.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    July 25, 2011 4:51 a.m.

Mark it down.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    July 25, 2011 5:25 a.m.

Interesting... Utey's hate the D News and now ESPN hitches it's wagon to BYU and is eager to claim it's long standing history and relationship to BYU that goes back to it's very first college football broadcast. It's really interesting the pathetic attempts by utey's to try and play that down.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 25, 2011 6:27 a.m.

Celebration time is over. Congrats to Holmoe and the entire BYU program for boldly going independent. Thanks to ESPN in a big way...now it's time to go to work and maintain that respect.

We need to be in the talk is cheap mode now. Fall camp is two weeks away!!

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    July 25, 2011 7:16 a.m.

Very cool article. I loved the idea that plainly explained that ESPN isn't doing this as some sort of charitable action or community service event. ESPN is all about the almighty dollar as was so aptly displayed when they broadcasted Lebron's decision. ESPN would only get involved in something that is going to bring money into their own pockets and viewers. That's why they got involved with BYU. BYU is known worldwide and has a following to match. ESPN knows that if BYU is playing, folks are watching. Period! I love the combination of ESPN and BYU partnering up and hope this will last for a long time.

One last thing: very few schools could've pulled this off by themselves. Entire conferences have to group together to get this kind of viewing draw. If you're a Ute fan, you better count your lucky stars you got in with the PAC 1(?) because with your fan base, you'd be lucky if PBS would've ever given you a looksie. A stadium that can't fill 48,000 seats year in and year out? Pffft.... nice.

Had to get my "Ute" jab in for the day. Go Cougars!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:21 a.m.

I bet this story digresses to BYUs NC and the Utes two BCS games. OOPs the cat's out of the bag again!

Such a great time to be a Cougar fan!

Independent!
    ESPN coverage and BYUtv reruns of the games!
    Recruits keep coming.
    An Elite 11 QB is coming.
    Sirius and XM radio coverage.
    Some great games against STORIED programs and more to come!
    NO Sunday play.
    Honor Code.
    Heaps is healthy!
    Positions are filled, locked and loaded for 2011.
    An IPhone / IPad app.
    HD studio up and running.
    Coach Mendenhall and Doman at the helm.

... and we're all happy that the utes got some local tv coverage this year.

Bring it on and thank you ESPN!

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:28 a.m.

When the Pac10 chose Utah over BYU Kyle Gunther said BYU was like the ugly girl at the dance.

Personally, I dont think of ESPN as the nerdy kid asking for a dance, do you Kyle?

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    July 25, 2011 7:31 a.m.

The Holiday bowl would be nice but why not aim for the Cotton Bowl which will become a BCS bowl in the next few years? BYU tends to fill the Jerry dome against local teams.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    July 25, 2011 7:35 a.m.

BYU has all of the pieces coming together for a great ride. This will be a great showcase for a team and for a program that is second to none in leading out as role models in character development, team work and just good old fashioned work. But it will also become more and more a way to show the world that you can be good on and off the field and still be a winner in sports as well as in academics. I salute all who have contributed over the years. Your efforts will be multiplied as the country begins to witness BYU on the public stage.

Out of obscurity baby, that is what this is all about. Now go bring your A-game night in and night out.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:40 a.m.

BYU did promised to play in the Holiday Bowl for the NC and why not invite them back and who knows what might happen for them.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 25, 2011 7:48 a.m.

sports fan

Thanks for the sarcasm, I think we understand your point of view.

Some powerful insights quoted here that most people probably haven't thought about before. Y fans like me who are still celebrating the unprecedented access to the team that represents the school and church we love...

...and haters who just don't want to think about it, hoping it will all go away.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:05 a.m.

BYU is on ESPN 10 Times this year...10 out of 12 games...

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:24 a.m.

sportsfan;
    Your comment smacks of jealousy and obsession. What's up? We have never seen those things rear their ugly heads on the DN comment boards before. Especially on BYU articles.

Be happy with the rest of us. You get to watch at least 11 BYU games this year. No matter where you live in the USA and many places outside the USA.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:41 a.m.

BYU has 10-11 "National" games on ESPN this year.

All of the ESPN games will be "Re-Broadcast" during the week, on National/International BYU-TV.

Utah has just announced a deal with KJZZ, to broadcast games "Locally".

Utah is playing USC on Versus.

Colorado is playing USC on ESPN.

When choosing Pac 12 games, ESPN did not pick up any Utah games.

Utah and Washington State were the only Pac teams which ESPN has chosen not to carry.

The Pecking order has been established.

Recruits will Notice and want to play on National TV every week.

• BleedRed Sandy, Utah
    July 25, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Propaganda, a great convincing tool in the media.
    Although the benefit to everyone leaving the Mt. West Conf. is not having to listen to those rookie announcers trying to use BIG words. I still laugh about players getting hit in the thorax! TC
    I liked the question posed to the ESPN rep on media day, when he was asked If BYU performs poorly, will it affect the televised showings? He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. It said it all!
    So bring in the old boys and continue the propaganda, youll need it.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Another nice positive article from the Deseret News regarding BYU and anything they do. It is their porogative. I get it. I know they have readers who want nothing but positive reports about BYU. But how about at least one positive report about the U for every negative one? You know, a little fair and balanced?

That last article about the PAC 12 and Sunday play was a non story that was meant to paint the U in negative light. The article should have touched on the real issue of why college conferences have latched on to what has already occurred in the little leagues with Sunday play.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 25, 2011 9:25 a.m.

re: bleedred

It wasn't a "deer in the headlights" look, it was, "How can I nicely respond to such a dumb question kindly." That question ranks right up there with "hit in the thorax."

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 25, 2011 9:50 a.m.

@Laser
    "Now if the Holiday Bowl will remember how it got to where it's at and invite the Cougs to have a contract with them."

I think you're onto something here. Cougs are committed for the next three years to Armed Forces, Poinsetta and Fight Hunger Bowls; but I think you'll see the Cougs negotiate a tiered offer in 2014 and beyond. It could look something like:

0 - 1 loss = possible BCS bid - Cotton Bowl will become a BCS bowl, if BCS stays intact.

1 - 3 losses = Holiday Bowl or equivalent - Holiday Bowl is looking to sever ties with Big 12. They currently get the 5th place Big 12 team which was not bad when there were 12 teams, but now that the Big 12 is a 10 team conference, the 5th place Big 12 team may not even be bowl eligible. I could see the Holiday Bowl keeping 3rd place PAC12 vs a highly ranked BYU team.

4 - 6 losses = Poinsetta or Armed Forces Bowl. BYU draws big crowds in San Diego and Dallas. These two bowls would love to keep the Cougs.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:04 a.m.

It's great to hear other voices, like Matich, explain to a national audience more of what BYU is about and why the ESPN deal is REALLY a great thing. I'm excited for all sports to have higher visibility, even if it's just on BYUtv. And that's no small 'just' with BYUtv's reach.

I'd bet Texas is just waiting out their chance to be independent in football, just working to mature their own network to try to get into the BYUtv realm. With the new restrictions placed on the Longhorns' network by the Big12 last week I'm sure they're just working feverishly to get out of the Big12 and on to their own green pasture.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:17 a.m.

I don't see any Utes raining on your parade. The article said the same things we've heard for the past few months. Nice job BYU and ESPN.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:25 a.m.

I know ESPN is true, I know it with every fiber of my being.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:28 a.m.

0 losses = possible BCS game unless TCU is undefeated. Otherwise Armed Forces Bowl

1 loss = Armed Forces Bowl

2 - 3 losses = Armed Forces Bowl

4 - 6 losses = Armed Forces Bowl

Sort of like the government. Whether you do good or bad, you still get the same pay.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 25, 2011 10:42 a.m.

sammyg, you're a stud! You listed all the great reasons why BYU is in such a good place right now, and why it's so fun to cheer for BYU right now.

Personally, I'd like BYUTV to pick up that Pitt/BYU game so we can see it. I was 4 when that game happened, so it would be nice to see it.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:49 a.m.

I wonder how the Ex-Cougars loved the 7-6 season last year and the exciting schedule of WAC pushovers this year??

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    July 25, 2011 10:53 a.m.

ldsfan

Both BYU and TCU can't go undefeated since they play eachother.

• shorts Payson, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:56 a.m.

RE: Ldsfan - BYU and TCU both can't have Zero losses they play each other Oct. 28.

• shorts Payson, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Dave S: BYU exciting schedule that includes Ole Miss(SEC), Texas(Big 12), Utah (12- Pac), Oregon State (12-Pac), UCF (Conferance USA champs), and TCU (MWC champs and Rose Bowl Champs).

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:04 a.m.

"I wonder how the Ex-Cougars loved the 7-6 season last year."

I'm guessing about the same as the Utes loved their 2005 7-5, MWC 4th place year with a new QB and with wins against a bunch of MWC pushovers. What do you think?

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Re: Shorts

I love how you fail to mention the two powerful teams from the state of Idaho in Idaho & Idaho St. along with the juggernauts that are San Jose St. & New Mexico St.

All of the above mentioned happen to be homes games as well. I'll bet you are really looking forward to some quality home games this year.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 25, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Dave S

Why so bitter and vindictive, brother? You struck gold, my friend! You are heading to the promised land! Of course, it only took the house of Israel 40 years to actually get in. I think utah's time frame is what, 2, 3 years?

I love how you fail to mention that one of those home game pattsies is on September 17th!

Okay, I take it back, I really don't mean that. But what is up with you guys? Really, why the hate? Let it go, it rots you from the inside out, man.

Intellectually, the article stated that Ty, one of the ex-cougars (disputed, you don't become an ex-cougar, although some become haters) will be watching his games on... wait for it... I know you can't wait... ESPN! He for one really doesn't care if the cupcakes are home or away. He'll be watching them all from his stata-lounger on the home theater.

Just enjoy the ride, guy! You realistically have the chance to be playin' for a trip to the Rose Bowl this season, even after getting cougar mauled, because you now belong to an AQ conference. Win the conference and your in!

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:56 a.m.

@ Dave S

Every, repeat every BCS team plays its share of FCS and other cupcake to pad their schedule every year before they enter conference play. So what about BYU's 2011 schedule?

@ Ldsfan

Impossible for TCU to go undefeated this season, since they have both BYU and Boise State on their schedule. Two guaranteed losses.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:57 a.m.

You are all right. TCU and BYU cannot go undefeated since they play each other. Brain freeze.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    July 25, 2011 12:33 p.m.

This article hits the nail right on the head. ESPN is after the all mighty dollar and they know that BYU can bring that to them with their marketability. Utah is after the all mighty dollar and the only way they can get it is to join an AQ conference which can get that for them. I first head of ESPN cheering for BYU on Lavell's tribute video where an ESPN analyst said a group of them were eating dinner and they saw on TV where Lavell went out a winner in his final game and they were the only ones in that restaurant who were cheering for Lavell.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 25, 2011 3:14 p.m.

Eddie said:

"This is only the beginning of a wonderful and powerful relationship. We may stumble a few times here and there, but within 10 to 15 years, BYU will be the premier program in the Nation.

Mark it down."

LOL!
    What criteria are you using in your premier program fantasy?

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    July 25, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Dave S, LDS fan:

First, BYU does have a some lower rated D1 Teams, life could be worse, they don't have any Montana States! Colorado is no great team also!

And, did I hear it right, did Utah go to the PAC 12 and the only game they play on ESPN is the one against BYU? Playing USC on Verses is kind of like playing in the Mountain ! LOL!!!!!

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    July 25, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I am happy for BYU and their new TV contract. Anytime it's easier to see the local teams and on a network whose cameramen can actually follow the ball on kickoff...I'm all for it.

I think all alums are happy about this. My brother (alum in San Diego) is happy that he won't have to search for the odd stations that they used to play on.

That said, is this like the 15th article about this "new" TV contract? Is this also the only thing that BYU fans can brag about? I would love to hear some BYU fans talk/brag about something that has actually occured ont he field recently, rather than just the TV station they will be seen on.

Going 6-6 last year in the regular season and 5 straight appearances in the Vegas Bowl does not make me believe they will all of a sudden be a national power or a BCS contender. Do something on the field that is noteworthy....then start talking national championships and/or BCS games.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    July 25, 2011 4:42 p.m.

I just wish the Y had more games schduled with my Boise State. I love twisting the Cougar's tail. Someday they may even beat us.... naw.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:26 p.m.

@striker

Get me some Baker's Chocolates in Greenwood will you? Discovered the place last November while listening to the radio for Husker Football and working out there!

I'm glad the Utes finally got some tv this year but 10 games on ESPN is just incredible and for 8 years? Wow!

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:46 p.m.

All the Utes' comments about BYU's schedule absolutely kill me. When Utah joined the PAC and the Big 12 went to 10, both Utah and Iowa State agreed to drop their game for 2011. As a result, Utah had ONE slot on their schedule to fill, and the best they could manage was Montana State. At the same time BYU has to fill NINE games (3 were already scheduled) and the Ute fans are bagging on BYU because four of them are pretty weak (although none as weak as Montana State). Please, please, please try something new. Everytime you mention this it shows your lack of football IQ.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:54 p.m.

Y Grad/Y Dad,

I respect most of your posts and I think you are an intelligent college football fan. However, I would like to point something out.

Utah fans are in no way "trying not to think about" BYU's ESPN deal. Yes, you guys can hold that over us as being better than our '11 deal. There's no debating that. But that most certainly does not mean we're upset or unhappy with our TV situation. There's a big difference.

Again... it would be nice. But it's most certainly NOT required for us to be happy with the Utes' TV setup this year. We certainly aren't losing any sleep over it.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:57 p.m.

@CougFaninTX...

I could agree with your entire post, with the exception of one detail.

BYU will absolutely not get into a BCS game with one loss. At least, not as an independent. You will have to undefeated.

If and when you join the Big XII, then one-loss BCS parties can become a possibility.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:19 p.m.

"Although it would be nice to have 10 games televised by ESPN or ESPN 2... Utah will be on TV plenty of times this season, and we will get to see them all just fine. Beyond that, what's the big deal? Why would I, or any other local Ute fans care whether the game is seen in Glendive, Montana or Bangor, Maine?"

Tomahawk Red,
    I enjoy your posts and the points you make, so I hope this doesn't come across as offensive. The big deal is if Utah is trying to recruit a 4 or 5 star linebacker, running back, or db in Texas, California, etc., and he notices that most Utah games are broadcast local so his friends and family will only be able to see him play a couple games a year, he will probably choose another school. It's a big deal for kids these days whether they are from Glendive, Montana or Bangor, Maine. Local fans in Utah may not care, but if they want Utah to do well, they need to care. USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and Ohio State are good every year in part because of exposure.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    July 25, 2011 7:34 p.m.

@ TomRed

Under normal circumstances you would be right. However, if BYU is drawing well on ESPN and depending on the win loss record of other non BCS schools BYU could get into a BCS game with 1 loss.

The BCS is all about money and if BYU generates good ratings there chances improve.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Tomahawk Red

"Why would I, or any other local Ute fans care whether the game is seen in Glendive, Montana or Bangor, Maine?"

Why indeed?

Utah fans are happy with KJZZ.

BYU fans are happy with ESPN.

Life is good!

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Good article, but I don't like the title. Just as there are very few "Ex-Marines" there are very few "Ex-Cougars." The Marines stamp USMC on a young person's heart. Brigham Young University stamps BYU on the heart of most of those that graduate. I have both stamped on my heart.

• CRB Woods Cross, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:03 p.m.

Yes there is no question that BYU's current situation is tons better than the Mountain channel. That was a dead man walking from the first. Why Boise decided to jump to the MWC is a mystery. But don't confuse BYU's contract with ESPN with a major conference contract. BYU has EXACTLY the same deal they would have had if they had joined the WAC. Yes the WAC, CUSA, MAC are all ESPN contracts which made the Mountain deal so stupid for the MWC. Look at BYU's schedule they play a MAC/WAC menu of ESPN games, weekdays, saturdays on ESPN2 and U and the road games would have been ESPN anyway with the SEC or Fox national with OSU. THe only benefit game is the TCU game which would have been on the mtn. Ugh. So if you like the WAC, Mac and CUSA you will like BYU's new standing as a non-bcs independant and their exposure is the same.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 25, 2011 8:23 p.m.

Tomahawk Red

Please forgive me if I implied that any Utah fans are unhappy with any aspect of your new arrangement. I do not believe that for a minute, nor should any of you be. I was being totally serious with the striking gold and a 2 to 3 year timeframe to totally cross into the "promised land." And I really DO believe that Coach Whit will do more with less and have his team competing for the conference championship, sooner rather than later.

But you have to admit, there sure seem to be a lot of people who should otherwise be ecstatic with their football lot in life, who just can't get over BYU. Yes, I know, there are about an equal number of BYU fans that just can't leave U alone, and it really is embarrassing, but there you have it.

And I think we can both agree that it just can't be mentally healthy for a Utah fan who is REALLY bothered by the 15th article about ESPN and BYU to actually READ the article and then POST on it. I think it is really only a symptom of a greater underlying problem.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:36 p.m.

TRed: Your right most if not all of the ute games will be on TV, at least for the local fans. That will sufice most of the ute fans but not the few that live outside the state. That is one of the reasons BYU fans are so excited about BYU being on ESPN and BYUtv. BYU has fans (many fans)all over the country and world wide & have longed to be able to see their cougs and with the mountain TV contract couldn't. BYU's fan base is one of the reasons going independent is feasable for the cougs, not many teams have as big or as wide spread a fan base as BYU. The combination of ESPN and the nationwide/worldwide fan base the cougs have are what make independance a good move. If the cougs have as much success as I think they will independance will be more advantagous than a BCS conf.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:56 p.m.

CRB,
    There is a big difference between the MAC/WAC deal with ESPN and BYU's deal with ESPN.
    First of all, BYU gets all the money and doesn't have to share it with other teams in the conference. BYU will make more on one ESPN televised game than BSU made for the whole season from ESPN. I use BSU as an example because of their success.
    Second, BYU has 10 games televised on ESPN; BSU and most other teams from the MAC/WAC averaged 5 to 6 games a year. When you consider that ESPN is only obligated to show 4 games per year, that should tell you how far ahead of the game BYU is.
    Third, and you brought this up, ESPN is brokering games for BYU at neutral sights that will pay BYU more than they are making on their home games. Consider that BYU made somewhere around $2.5-$3million on the OU game.
    Fourth, even if ESPN doesn't pick up a game, BYUtv will broadcast that game into just as many homes in the USA as ESPN would have as well as millions of homes around the world.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    July 25, 2011 11:22 p.m.

CRB

"But don't confuse BYU's contract with ESPN with a major conference contract. BYU has EXACTLY the same deal they would have had if they had joined the WAC."

Show me a single WAC team that played 10 games on ESPN last season.

Show me a single WAC team that had full rebroadcast rights for ESPN's entire library of past, current, and future BYU games.

Show me a single WAC team had an exclusive partnership with ESPN, that not only GUARANTEED that a minimum number of BYU games would be broadcast on ESPN every year for the next 8 years, but also established BYU and ESPN as partners in scheduling made-for-television games -- BYU-TCU in Dallas Cowboys stadium and BYU-West Virginia in Washington Redskins stadium are already set.

Your feable attempts to equate BYU's contract with the WAC is ridiculous. BYU, by itself, will be making close to if not more this year from its ESPN contract than almost the entire WAC combined.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:39 p.m.

@crb

So you don't even bother to know what you're talking about when you post?

• tantheman Lindon, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Really? I had no idea we were going independant and that it is going to be great! Why havn't they told us before?

Time to focus on other things. Its great, but move on.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:41 a.m.

IF
    BYU beats Texas, and Texas wins the Big 12

and if
    BYU beats Utah and Oregon State, and one of them wins the PAC

and if
    BYU beats TCU, and TCU wins the MWC

and if
    Utah beats Hawaii and USU and all their other WAC opponents and one of those wins the WAC

and if BYU beats UCF and they win Conference USA

then I think BYU might have a shot at playing in the championship game.

Dont' you?

The only challenge then would be the Big 10, the ACC and the SEC champs, and none of them would've beaten so many conference champs, because none play so many non-conference games.

For sure they'd make a BCS game.

So how has the formula changed? Go undefeated, go BCS.

Except now, their chances of getting into the NC game may in fact be better if they are undefeated.

Just do it on the field, take care of your own business and the post-season will take care of itself. That is the real challenge.

• dly801 West Jordan, UT
    July 26, 2011 3:14 p.m.

The fact is, BYU was the mtn. Without them they are nothing, even if the utes had stayed in the mountain west. There is no other team in the conference that has a following like BYU. That speaks volumes of the program. Excited for the Cougars!

• roquetman provo, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Dear deseret news, I am sick of your hypocritical standards, you have all these rules you have to follow but if your'e a BYU fan and pro BYU these rules seem not to apply. BYU fans can be gross, arrogant and obnoxious all they want and break "your" standards and you let it go, deseret news please make BYU fans follow your rules please.