Utah

If Sen. Orrin Hatch wins re-election, his influence could skyrocket

Comments

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:40 p.m.

I'm dismayed that Hatch isn't just retiring. We need some new blood in the Senate, not more of the same old tired nonsense. Hatch promised us in 1976 to get rid of the old established cronies in Washington. Frank Moss may be gone, but Hatch has taken his place, and I don't mean that in a positive way.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:52 p.m.

I may not have always agreed with Senator Hatch's choices, but I think the state of Utah would be crazy if they let an opportunity like this pass us up. Senator Hatch is a good man and he knows how to get things done in Congress. I say we keep him.

• facts_r_stubborn Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:59 p.m.

"The biggest problems that our country is facing now are in many ways directly tied to Senator Hatch." Congressman Chaffetz.

The Congressman is a demagogue of the highest order. The above quote is just one more unfounded claim by the man who is going to run against Senator Hatch from his own party. The man who lied by saying in Senator Hatch's office he would not run against him and then denying ever having said that to the press. He's welcome to change his mind but can't change the facts. The man who is following the populist movement from the right to the tea. The man who was the only member of the Utah delegation to pay a professional photographer to follow him around snapping glamour shots during the last state Republican convention.

Chaffetz is an political opportunist, who is playing the tea party movement for all it's worth. He is forty miles wide and a half of an inch deep. If Utah is thinking of replacing a statesman like Hatch, with a lightweight showboat like Chaffetz, heaven help us. Certainly we can do better than Chaffetz to replace Hatch when that day comes.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    July 23, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Term limits are in order. Bye bye Hatch.

• facts_r_stubborn Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2011 11:14 p.m.

"He claims to be the champion of fighting for a balanced budget, but 26 times he has voted for or allowed a debt-ceiling increase." - Congressman Chaffetz.

Again, we are asked to drink the Kook-aid. The debt ceiling is a quirk of our political process that is no where mandated in the Constitution and was first used in 1917. The real issue is the budget deficit and the factors that make for deficits or surpluses. Basically, those factors are revenue and spending. That is what Congress should be focussing on, not the artificial debt ceiling. Arguing over the debt ceiling is a little like burning the credit card statement instead of cutting up the credit card.

Raising the debt limit is nothing more than honoring current obligations. The real question is what to do about the future costs of entitlements as the baby boom generation retires. Everything else is just a populist diversion from the populist wings of both parties.

Hatch as been a champion of a balanced budget since his first term in the Senate. Chaffetz comments are misleading and self serving. Hopefully, we can retire his political career very soon.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    July 23, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Orrin Hatch is a fighter and is an asset to Utah. Unfortunately, he bears the responsibility all career politicians do for putting our country in jeopardy with unfunded entitlement programs and a lack of concern with deficits over many decades. Had Chaffetz been there during the past 30 years, he would be facing the same threat today.

• johnjacobs99 Rocklin, CA
    July 23, 2011 11:31 p.m.

People from Utah would be very wise to keep Orrin Hatch. Orrin Hatch has brought a lot of federal dollars to Utah over the years. I can't think of anything that Chaffetz has done for Utah. He is more interested in harrasing the TSA.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2011 11:32 p.m.

I turned 18, voted... I couldn't stand President Bush... and was very liberal, with few 'moral-issue' exceptions. Then I realized I couldn't stand liberals just as much... then I started down the conservative path... then I took every philosophy and political class in college I could imagine...

Now, I am as die hard conservative as they come.

With that in mind, I personally think Hatch is so-so. I have things I like and don't like.

But his being on the senate judiciary committee and the statements he has made about the "recent" SCOTUS nominations... THAT ALONE is enough to re-elect him!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:47 a.m.

Well, let's just hope that the Republicans never control the Senate and this won't be an issue. Heaven help us if they do.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    July 24, 2011 5:44 a.m.

If I am in debt and having trouble paying my bills and interest payments are getting bigger and bigger, then I can improve my credit rating by increasing my debt and adding more interest payments?

Is this what the "experts" are telling us?

Is this what Senator Hatch has repeatedly voted for?

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:09 a.m.

I doubt that Hatch will make it out of Caucus, much like Bennett. People are weary of politicians, especially those who stay a lifetime.

• inmyopinion88 WEST JORDAN, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:18 a.m.

I am afraid if Utah does not re-elect Orin Hatch, Utah will be cutting off its nose to spite its face. Of course I don't agree with everything he has done but Utah needs an experienced and powerful voice in Washington to champion our best interests.

• Government Man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:26 a.m.

Just say no to Chaffetz. Senator Matheson has a nice ring to it. But, we would be better off keeping Hatch and putting Matheson in the Governor's Office. Chaffetz needs to return to Provo and let him do whatever he does.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:45 a.m.

The only thing I've heard Hatch do for Utah was push to keep Hill open. Otherwise Hatch does for Hatch.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:56 a.m.

What a very uncomfortable thought: U.S. Senator Mike Lee and Jason Chaffetz representing Utah in Congress. With a little bit of luck, we could also have Carl Wimmer there also. Now isn't that a pleasant thought for Utah?

• medicinalmike midvale, ut
    July 24, 2011 6:57 a.m.

"If Sen. Orrin Hatch wins re-election, his influence could skyrocket"
    If marijuana was legal millions of people could finally relax "
    If the Jazz win a championship we could Celebrate
    If there were term limits, Which Orrin supported, he could have been out of office 24 years ago.
    IF and COULD two of the biggest little words in our language.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    July 24, 2011 7:04 a.m.

And suppose that instead of winning the Senate the Republicans lose seats, which candidate would be the best for Utah? the worst? Considering the future for my grandchildren, Chaffetz would, by far, be the worst case scenario.

Most historians of the great depression seem to blame the Smoot tariff bill for the depression, or at least a major cause. Care to enlighten us anyone?

• Kim Cedar Park, Texas
    July 24, 2011 7:28 a.m.

The political life of a true believer conservative in Utah seems to follow this trajectory. Get elected by the right wing. Go to Congress and vote right wing. Get nothing accomplished since the right wing has never controlled both houses and the presidency. Begin to realize that compromise is the only way to get anything done in Washington. Decide to reach across the aisle and compromise and finally get a bill passed. Get blasted from the right wing who believe that compromise is giving the enemy what they want. Get challenged in subsequent election by another true believer. And the cycle starts all over again.

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:29 a.m.

"If Senator Orrin Hatch wins re-election." That's a might by "IF." No man his age (78 on election day 2012) has ever won an elective office in Utah. After six terms and thirty-six years in the U.S. Senate enough is enough.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:31 a.m.

i just only realized that hatch was still alive. it must be campaign time. i have heard and seen Lee more in the last 6 months than i have Hatch in the last 30 years. orin, didn't you campaign against Moss because he had been in to long? you've been in 25 years plus longer than him. how does that work? but Chaffetz doesn't do anything for me either.

• DonO Draper, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:37 a.m.

Whether you like him or not you have to agree that Hatch wields a lot of influence. And this article is correct: If he were to win re-election his clout would go through the roof. I personally believe the Founders did not intend for us to have a professional, life-time Congress but Hatch has proven himself to be a fighter who mostly represents the views of his constituents. Some will argue that Hatch contributed to the mess the country is in. Perhaps he did. But given where we are it would, IMO, be a mistake to lose him.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Because the badly needed and important "Obamacare" would not have happened if Senator Hatch had been chairman of the finance committee, it is important that he never become such!. Conversely, if Senator Hatch comes to realize that fundamental healthcare is a basic right and not a priveledge just for the wealthy and well employed, then he should be re-elected. Balancing the capatalist opportunties in America with looking out for the less fortunate (I'm speaking now of basic healthcare - not welfare), is essential to a prosperous and healthy nation. Remember, Obamacare calls for most all to pay into the system to help provide care for all. I like Senator Hatch and I hope he will soften his heart a little bit toward those who don't make huge corporate donations to his re-election campaign and become a respresentative of all of the people, not just the elite in America.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:48 a.m.

What if Republicans don't take control of the Senate, then what. I am not a liberal,I am a realist and I think the Republicans have been taken over by extremist's who are obsessed with their hatred of Obama. They are a mirror image of how the far left felt about Bush Jr. I don't think Obama is as unpopular as they try to portray him. That doesn't mean I support him, I just think the tea party is due a reality check next election. I hope Matheson runs for Senate, especially if the tea party treats Hatch like they did Bennett. I believe Matheson would have a chance in a general election. I would crossover and vote for him a heartbeat. Call me a Rino if you wish. This is one conservative who doesn't need the tea party telling him how to vote.

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:06 a.m.

"brought a lot of federal dollars to Utah"

"has been a champion of the balanced budget"

I would add, he's gone along to get along for thirty-six long years, and now we are being asked to give him another six years at age 78 on election day, making him 84 at the end of the next term?

Influence because of seniority is part and parcel of what is wrong with Washington D.C. Committee chairmanships based upon how long one has been in office is highly overrated.

It's still one man one vote in the Senate last time I checked. His opinion in committee, whether chairman or not, is still only one voice in the crowd.

Ask Bob Bennett how his voice as ranking member in the Senate Banking Committee worked out for Utah.

I simply reject the argument that Orrin Hatch's voice as the potential Chair of Senate Finance is that influential.

It's one voice, and it's a voice he's been sounding for six terms as a U.S. Senator.

It's so predictable in the minds of his colleagues, whether he's there or not will not make that much difference.

I'd rather listen to someone else.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Having to choose between Hatch and Chaffetz should be a no brainer. Chaffetz offers nothing in the way of experience, wisdom, and the ability to influence major decisions in Washington. He is an amateur posing as a pro who, in the big game will have no impact. Hatch has vast experience, is widely respected, carries quiet but big clout, and knows how to work the back rooms for results. One cannot underestimate his influence. Chaffetz's arguments on the economy sound good, but are nothing more than the tinny ringing of a cheap bell. I hope Utah doesn't fall for the labels and slogans and abandon the man who has given so many years of dedicated, excellent service.

• Scotty Cameron HURRICANE, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:20 a.m.

I think Senator Hatch needs to go. I can't believe that the argument being made to convince us to vote Senator Hatch back in is that he will have influence so we can finally "get ours" or that he has brought us lots of SWAG over the years and we should repay him by voting him back in.

The very reason I DON'T want him back in office is precisely because of that mentality. Aren't we sick of all politicians bringing pork back to their States at our expense? And aren't we fed up with Senators using influence in a manner they shouldn't? I'm not saying Senator Hatch would abuse the power, and I recognize that if he is not in that position another senator from elsewhere will be, but I disagree with the idea that it is because of the power that we should reelect him.

Certainly I want our representatives to look out for Utah and the west, but for my vote I want them there for reasons other than how much power and influence they wield.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Sorry Charlie, we don't need politicos who say the right thing for re election but who knows what in between. Hatch has turned me off so many times with the words "My good friend Teddy Kennedy". And lets not forget The Dream Act. Hatch's brain trust. He has been in power during all the time we have been sliding down the tube and I do not rememnber him being all that vocal about spending. Correct me if I am wrong!

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:35 a.m.

If, in fact, the Republicans have a "60 to 70 percent" chance of winning control of the Senate, with Hatch assuming chairmanship of the Finance Committee, doesn't it make more sense to re-elect him rather than Chaffetz, who will have no influence? Hatch deserves at least one more term. If he fails to meet Utah's expectations, vote him out. Chaffetz still will have another opportunity.

• Focusedonlife Spanish Fork, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Good for Utah...Not! I do not want a man with little integrity wielding that much power. Having power is NOT a good reason to keep him in office. I am conservative, but I have struggled with Hatch's decisions over the years, and he is not what he seems to be. A powerful position is actually a frightening reason to re-elect someone to office, especially when he does not represent what Utah stands for.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:39 a.m.

To change the law to limit terms would be a good thing. To only limit your own state representitave's term would be political suicide.

Hatch has and continues to represent the state of Utah well. Hatch has worked his way into the very top tier of our nation's leadership. We need him now more than ever.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    July 24, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I agree with the Tea Party on some to many things. However, they are just as big a threat to this country as the Progressives. And we all know what the Progresives have done to this country and its future.

Tea Party ideas such as eliminating the deduction on home interest expense would be a massive tax increase and drop home prices another 20-40 % with another wave of defaults.

The elimination of the deduction for charitable contributions has obvious major problems.

There are very few looking out for the middle class. Most politicians are owned by special interests and the middle class get shorted.

I do not want some lib Dem or some Tea Party whacker running the finance committee as it reforms SS and Medicare.

If you blow that the Dems will win in 2012.

For the good of the country stop sending us Sharon Angles and candidates who dabble in witch craft. It elects DEMs.

Chavez needs to park his ambition and take care of his district. His time will come if he gets some common sense.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    July 24, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Hatch has done a great deal of good for the West, and for Utah.

The folks calling for "term limits" and such are not seeing the *big* picture.

Utah, and the West, needs *seniority* in order to call-shots in the US Senate. It is that simple.

You can whine and complain about "Tea Party" issues, and "term limits" all-day-long. When the reality is that it is seniority that calls the shots in the US Senate.

Closing Hill AFB, to government land usage in the West, to other important issues to Utah. Hatch has *always* fought for the West, and for Utah. Chaffetz might not admit that, but Hatch's seniority has proved to be a good thing ofor Utah, and for the West.

If you cannot admit that shots are called in the Senate by "seniority" you need to go get your head examined...

Hatch has been *good* for Utah, and the West.

The "Tea Party" wants him gone... But be careful... With his powerful seniority, many of the issues (and jobs, like Hill AFB, and others) might go with him...

Be careful "Tea Partiers"... You might actually get what you "want."

Which isn't what Utah "needs."

• AT Prospect, KY
    July 24, 2011 9:28 a.m.

Senator Hatch gaining more influence is even more of a reason to NOT send him back. He's part of problem and it's time to send him off to write his autobiography. So long Hatch.

• jd11 Syracuse, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Good bye Hatch. It is sure going to be funny watching you cry about losing. Oh how Utah needs you to go away peacefully. We do not need politicians, what we need are citizens who have our values and understand the role that the constitution allows for the federal government, not to superimpose statism and federalism on the states. We need to stand up and demand that the state and local government fulfill their rightful constitutional responsibilities for the citizens.

• peter Alpine, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:10 a.m.

One party is merely a shade darker than the other. Don't listen to their rhetoric, look at their deeds. Washington doesn't need more spending power, they need more restraint and accountability.
    Bush was out of control, and now Obama is. He already passed Obamacare against the will of the people. It is projected to cut 500 billion from medicare. People, are you ready to shoulder the care of your aging parents and grandparents? Obamacare will not take care of them.
    His stimulus package was predicted to save the ecomony, jobs and his butt. It did none of the above. Now, raising the debt ceiling will only cast a darker economic cloud over this nation. We will not default on our debt.
    Dumping every federal dept, except the dept of defense, and giving the States the right and power to take care of their own, would do more to bolster this nation than anything Washington could do.
    You cannot solve a problem by the same minds that created them.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Why are the libs now enamored with Hatch and why do they hate Chaffetz so? Whatever the libs and their partners in media are against, I am for. Out with hatch.

• B Logan, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Well, by the logic of this article, we might as well keep re-electing him until he's 100 years old. The influence argument is as hollow as it gets because he is going to HAVE to leave sometime.

Basically this comes down to two choices: Do you believe the Federal Government has a responsibility to help people who are dependent on it and, thus, vote for Hatch and hope to get billions in Federal dollars? Or do you believe people should work to be as INDEPENDENT as possible of any government and, thus, elect people who will shrink the Federal government as much as possible?

I'll take option two. The Federal government is going to collapse under the weight of its own entitlement programs. I want someone who will reverse that prospect, not simply wield more influence to get more of other people's money for the state of Utah.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    July 24, 2011 11:15 a.m.

I'm liberal on some issues but not on the deficit. I would love to see a constitutionally mandated balanced budget. However, once that is in place you will need pragmatic politicians (like Hatch) to make the necessary decisions and compromises to do that. Extremists on both the right and left will only dig into their ideological corners.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:39 a.m.

This story and the comments sound like a Hatch campaign commercial.

The Senate Finance Committee has 24 members out of 100 Senators, that is way too many people and explains why they get so little actually accomplished.

There are 13 Democrats and 11 Republican members appoined by their caucuses, so there is a good chance that if conservative Republicans win control a better qualified senior Republican could be appointed to the committee. (We can always hope!)

Hatch, like most Senators, "goes along to get along" and loves to tell people what he is going to do, but after 36 years his accomplishments pale in comparison to his promises and rhetoric.

We need actual fighters who will stop the tax and spend habits immediately, not meekly compromise. Hatch is a compromiser, but Chaffets has principles and will fight!

By the way, has the Senate Finance Committee come up with a budget in the last two years, or a debt limit increase bill? No, they have not, not even a minority bill which Hatch should have been able get drafted, even if he could not get it passed. Too much talk and not enough action from Hatch.

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    July 24, 2011 12:16 p.m.

I find it annoying that the DMN shills for Orrin Hatch. It would be appropriate for you to provide equal time for each and every one of his opponents as the law requires and not hide behind the simple excuse that this is merely a public interest piece.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 24, 2011 12:17 p.m.

How many times have we heard this? I just need one more term and then I'll really be able to do something. This from a man who ran against Ted Moss who had 18 years of seniority saying he had been there too long.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    July 24, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Regardless of what people in Utah feel personally about Orin Hatch...this is a time to realize the advantage of having him in the position where he is right now during these economic dark ages we are in. Utah has been better off than many states econimically because of Orin Hatch's constant influence... especially on the Defense Department front where he has more than stymied efforts to reduce the roles of Dougway Proving Grounds, Tooele Army Depot the old Thycol space Research and Development facility now under different ownership and Hill Air Force Base. Having him where he is right now is in the best economic interests of the state. Removing him at such a critical time in the state's economic development could become a nightmare. Seniority in both the house and Senate are critical to the economic stability of the state during this present down portion of the cycle. This is not a time to get rid of Orin Hatch...regardless of what we may think of him personally.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:04 p.m.

"If Senator Hatch wins re-election his influence could skyrocket."

Exactly the reason we need to get him out of there.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:55 p.m.

@ IdahoStranger, you don't understand the debt controversy. It is like going into debt and just saying you choose to not pay it. Creditors then raise the interest rates and take other action against you. Then it just gets worse. That's what the GOP wants to hand to us.

• justsayin... Fillmore, Utah
    July 24, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Chaffetz knows how Washington works. If he really cared about Utah, HE would support Hatch for another term.

He is just looking for an opportunity. Serving himself is what Jason Chaffetz is all about.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:16 p.m.

If we re-elect Hatch, then we have just caved into the "system". Hatch has been a big spender his entire career and only sounds conservative for a few months every 6 years. His "power" will only help the govt spend even more. Let's wake up!

• stevep38now Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Utah politicians don't know how to retire, they must be shown the door. Lets help Hatch to the door and get a conservative Republican in 2012!

• DR Hall Clearfield, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:22 p.m.

Senator Hatch has been in office for 33 years and if he has not gained influence by now he never will do. But he has gain a lot of influence far more than his wisdom will cover. He complained about his predicessor, Frank Moss, being in too long and that for only 12 years. This is just "used car sales talk" as he will rubber stamp what ever the Republican leaders tell him to say. He supported outsourcing of American jobs, three unnecessary wars, relaxing regulation so there would be more accidents to families and he supports burdening working families with more taxes and taking taxes away from business and not holding companies responsible for the problems they cause. It is way past time for Hatch to retire and stop being bought off so often.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    July 24, 2011 3:31 p.m.

Non-Utahns are salivating over the possibility that Utah might be dumb enough to get rid of Hatch, thus destroying Utah's influence.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Hatch has had his chance.

• sg newhall, CA
    July 24, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Hatch has become Frank Moss. Old, too long in the tooth, out of touch with Utahns and time to go, just like he did to Frank Moss. Over the years the people Hatch has hired to stand by his side has been an absolute good ol' boys club; and they are still part of this invisible entourage milking the system for the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Yep, Hatch has been bought and paid for. It is time for term limits. Enough. And while we're at it. None of these clowns in congress should warrant life-time full benefits at the amount they lost election or retired from. Being a congressman or senator was never intended to be a profession. It has always been about serving your country, state and constituents period. Unfortunately, we the people have sat on our fat derrieres and silently watched these so-called reps vote themselves raises, the best health care package, retirement packages etc all at taxpayers expense. This has got to stop. Hatch has got to go!

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 5:14 p.m.

If Utah schools get proper funding, their results could skyrocket. The odds of that happening are about as great as Hatch getting more influence: extremely unlikely.

• Rufio Saratoga, UT
    July 24, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Same argument Hatch throws out to the media every election cycle...and he still seems to miss the point.

• Rock Calgary, Alberta
    July 24, 2011 5:40 p.m.

I am a little confused.
    Why would anyone demand, or suggest that a man retire and go out to pasture just because he is old. Often that age is what gives you experience and wisdom. Hatch may be old but he is a brilliant guy who has served for many years and done so honorably.
    One would never suggest that, for example, Pres. Hinkley should have retired just because he was over 90.

• oldasdirt Grantsville, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:27 p.m.

Same logic Senator Frank Moss (Democrat) used 35 years ago. It did not work then and it should not work now. The Utah Reps better be prepare to lose if Hatch goes up against a moderate Demo...Ted Wilson, Jim Matheson just to name a few.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    July 24, 2011 7:17 p.m.

Too late. Throw the big government loving neocon out of office now. In a perfect world he would be serving a prison sentence for treason.

• peter Alpine, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Our economy is already a disaster. Politicians are out of touch with the people, their voice, and what it takes to run a free society, let alone an economy. True leadership demonstrates vision of the future and where to take a company to be prosperous. Bam-bam has continued America's demise, like most of his predecessors, just at an accelerated pace. Any normal functioning board of trustees would have canned their CEO long ago if he/she were taking their company on the same path that Bam-bam is taking this country. It's time for Bam-bam and others in Washington to leave Bedrock.

• durwood kirby South Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Yes, if Hatch wins he gets more power. But that power does neither Utah nor the nation any real good if his decisions are not sound. Lately, I've noticed Hatch getting a little too cozy with the Tea Party for my personal comfort. It's time for someone else to get a chance. I'm not necessarily talking about Chaffetz either. Surely Utah can come up with something more moderate that can benefit our great country.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:46 p.m.

No need speculating he will not win the next election. @fact-r-stubborn thanks for returning with the Rhino retorhic it been missing lately.

• Todd B SAINT GEORGE, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Heaven help this country if the republicans win the senate.

• Politicallyminded Spanish Fork, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:20 p.m.

@ToddB... You are so right! The Democrats have done such an amazing job in turning our economy around. I can't believe what good shape we are in since they have taken over. The unemployment rate has clearly plummeted, investments in our country have skyrocketed, and our debt has clearly decreased. We should re-elect all of the Democrats.

Oh, wait just a minute.... The answer is NONE of the above.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:59 p.m.

I want EVERY congressman, and EVERY Senator out. For the next four elections, I'm voting against anyone who is IN office, until we get term limits.

It is the Very power you are talking about Hatch getting that I want OUT of our politics.

It may hurt in the short term, but in the long run, our nation will be better off to get rid of all sitting congress/senators!

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    July 25, 2011 8:25 a.m.

If Hatch has anything to bring to the table and assist the nation, now would be a good time for him to show his worth. If he dose nothing of note, and just blends in with the back ground and throws out a bunch of meaningless words, then that enforces the certainty that it is time to replace him with some one who can do the job.

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:03 a.m.

And that would be good??

• silverstateute Las Vegas, NV
    July 25, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Utahns are absolutely crazy if they do not re-elect Hatch. The political realities of his seniority and powerful influence cannot be ignored. Even Nevadans had the good sense to plug their nose and vote for Harry Reid, given his enormous influence and ability to protect our state. Small states like Utah and Nevada will be absolutely ignored and abused by the bigger states without having these senior senators to stand up for their interests.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Well... I may vote for him, but ONLY if he promises not to run in 2023!!! AND he has to put it in writing. I don't trust politicians. Wake up folks, he is the sponsor of the Dream Act.

• karl a Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Hatch has the "senority" and the "influence". This is what he runs on everytime. never mind that he doesn't do what people who elect him want him to do or what would be best. I don't want to hear how a politician can brings home the bucks....I want to hear that they didn't spend our money. Orrin is all about what is good for him and the power he has, not what is good for the people who send him there. Congress is full of liars, thieves, and self-serving conmen. I am so tired of them telling us that they have to take care of us because they know what is best. The best thing for me, my family, and the future is for washington to quit spending my money.

• Justmythoughts Richfield, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:25 p.m.

It is so obvious that Chaffetz is running for Senate even though he hasn't announced it yet. I've not always been a fan of Sen. Hatch but I think this article is right. There is a great chance for the GOP to win back the Senate and Hatch's power and influence is worth a lot more than a Freshman Senator.

• 3arwax Logan, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:57 p.m.

I don't like Chaffetz. He hasn't accomplished much besides interviews.

I really don't like Hatch. He really needs to retire. He has abused his power.

I sure hope Dan Liljenquist runs.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Justmythoughts:

All of the things you've said were 'just my thoughts' exactly!

• SamESmall Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:13 a.m.

This Deseret News story succinctly states the reasons for keeping Orrin where he is. I know there are those who believe getting new blood is a reason to get rid of Hatch, however they are those who deny reality.

Pragmatic reality is SENIORITY DOES MATTER. whether one wants it to or not. A Full Committee Chairman does have tremendous power and influence. If we are going to get a balanced budget amendment, defund ObamaCare, and have a real chance for Cut, Cap and Balance, we need to keep Orrin in the Senate.

Orrin and his staff have been responded and provided me with requested information every time I have contacted them for the past 14 years I have lived in Utah. Would that others were so responsive.

• Josh Farmer Idaho Falls, Idaho
    July 26, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Where has Senator Hatch been the last 35 years. His influence is about to skyrocket...lol. Mike Lee has done more in the last 6 months as far as influence than Orrin has in 35 years because he has stood by principle. Come back to Utah Orrin and spend time with your great-grandchildren.

• ReaganFan Midvale, Utah
    July 27, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Orrin Hatch is co-chairman of the Federalist Society, helped get Clarence Thomas on to the SCOTUS in spite of Democrat sabotage, got the recent "Wild Lands" order rescinded, has a 90 % life rating from the American Conservative Union, has been praised by organizations like Americans for Tax Reform and the National Tax Limitation Committee and successfully filibustered labor reform when the Democrats controlled the Senate back when he was first elected. Chaffetz has a bright future and it would be best for him to stay on track in the House. Let Senator Hatch help right this country's fiscal ship via his position on the finance committee.

• Peter Daines Logan, Utah
    July 28, 2011 12:30 p.m.

The system is set up so that elected officials do what they are told. Period. Hatch will do whatever it takes to win reelection. He will vote in the way that he believes will earn him the most votes. Period. Chaffetz is exactly the same. He is a politician. That means he is doing what he is told. If Hatch has been doing the "wrong things" for 30 years, as Chaffetz is suggesting, then the majority of Utahns are just plain wrong, because everything Hatch has ever done has been to the end of winning reelection. If Utahns have changed their minds about what the "right thing" is, and they tell Hatch that, then guess what he is gonna do?
    It is not like he is oblivious. He is spending millions on his campaign. You better believe that a good chunk of that goes toward monitoring peoples' opinions. If you haven't noticed, Hatch has become distinctly more favorable to tea party concerns over the past year or so.

My point is that Hatch has a lot of power in the senate, and to throw it all away at this point in the game would be ridiculous.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    July 28, 2011 3:35 p.m.

%Peter Daines: You say: :"My point is that Hatch has a lot of power in the senate, and to throw it all away at this point in the game would be ridiculous:.

Hatch has no power or credibility, Our nation is facing a debt crises, and what is Hatch doing..........nothing. He is an old tired dog without teeth and of little use. Now Senator McCain at least he still has a little bite.