High school football: 4 of last year's state champions sit atop preseason polls

Comments

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    July 19, 2011 7:44 a.m.

As a parent of Bingham athletes, I thought adding Herriman High would take away some of the talent. It is not happening at all. Herriman dropped to 4a to try to become more competitive. These kids around South Jordan are taught that Bingham is King and all the kids want to stay. They practice year round and simply have some of the best coaches. This goes for the faculty as well and the parents of allnthe students. Great high school, great teachers that care, great support from the community and parents. That is why Bingham competes so high in all activities.

• Realist Kaysville, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:33 a.m.

My 3 takes on region 1:

1. Syracuse?? Wow. Offense will always be their problem.

2. As usual Davis gets the high praise early in the season, but needs win when it counts.

3. Northridge gets nothing, as usual they just fly in under the radar.

• Wasp utah County, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:41 a.m.

No talk of the mighty Juab Wasps???? They will surprise people- they are talented and loaded!

• Doug Whitmore South Jordan, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:45 a.m.

KamUte- Spot on. I thought the same thing. Some kids I watched play in Bingham little league for years decided to go to the new school last year as Juniors. There were also 3 Seniors that transferred over to Herriman from Bingham. A lineman and 2 WR/DBs. I think they were solid players that helped them last year. I personally know 5 juniors that transferred last year (Flake, Cornia, Beck, Lorenzen, Staley). All solid athletic players. None of them are on the team this year. From what I hear the Herriman coaches weeded them out. That should serve as a warning to any Bingham kids thinking of going to anohter school. Those kids could have Championship rings and been competign for playing time and starting positions at Bingham, instead they are out of football.

I did not expect to see Bingham on top of the polls to start the season with all the chatter of how this group never won in Ute conference. It is HS now and these kids will play with a chip on their shoulder. Maybe not as solid as the last few years, but good enough to win this year. Good luck Miners.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Love the rankings, stoked to see a whole new bingham team, wonder if Lail is going to be there starting quarterback does anyone know? Cottonwood should be very tough this year, cant wait for region play with LP finally playing BINGHAM, and Chase better be ready for the top ranked player in the state at OLB for Bingham Afalava, bring it this year again Bingham add another banner to the school. Hope all the contruction by the football field gets done soon, and Bingham add more seating, cant wait to see this legit ALTA team that is going to play bingham at UTAH again because so many people want to see it, get it figured out RIO tinto, you are middle between alta and bingham, you would have your first sell out there with all the people to watch the football game. more then a soccer game,
    everyone good luck on the upcoming year, and Skyline might win it again because look, they are 4A

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:40 a.m.

I still find it odd that Viewmont has been put in region 2. They literally have no rivals in their new region. I wish they would have been knocked down to 4A with Bountiful/WX, but alas it wasn't to be.

I hope someone takes down Bingham this year. They are getting to be like Skyline of the 90's and Northridge of the early 2000's. It's just nice to see different teams do well different years.

• Boy's of Fall Fillmore, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:44 a.m.

2A thoughts & questions:
    1- I agree with the 2A rankings. Until someone in 2A actually beats San Juan they deserve to be ranked #1. Will anyone be able to beat them this year?
    2- My opinion is that the new 2A North region looks to be tougher than the South. What are your thoughts?
    3- Is anyone in Blanding excitted for the trip to Enterprise?
    4- Why is the closest 2A school to Millard (Beaver) in a different region?
    5- Of the 4 new 2A schools I feel the team with the best chance to compete for the title will be Manti. Do you think any of the new schools in 2A will win it all?
    Looking forward to another good year and good luck to all the teams.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Bingham won't repeat, they likely won't even win their region as Lone Peak could challenge Alta and Fremont as the best in the state. Bingham can't replace the kids they've lost.
    Alta has a few issues to work out but they are loaded with talent and should win their region and compete for another state title. Lone Peak's Chase Hansen and Talon Shumway could be the two toughest backs in the state and if LP has any sort of O-line they'll be tough to beat. Their defense won't be as good as last year but with guys playing both ways they will be at least decent.
    Davis will compete up north but Fremont is returning nearly everyone from last year's team and should run the table in region 1.
    Cottonwood has a good offense, but defensively they'll struggle to stop their opponents from scoring. Jordan will be good on offense and as usual will be poor on defense, too many internal issues with coaches there to take them seriously. Brighton has a qb who's been around for 4 or 5 years and could surprise people but I'm going with Alta and Fremont in the final.

• the hawk Sandy, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Just wanted to say spot on comment Binghamalum

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    July 19, 2011 11:09 a.m.

KamUte,

So many things wrong with your reasoning. First. " I thought adding Herriman High would take away some of the talent." They will. The first few years a school is open the best athletes will stay where they can win. The athletes who would sit the bench at Bingham will go to Herriman. That will change in a few years. Slowly as they grow up going to elem, jr high and play on the same little league Herriman teams they will stay and Herriman will be a contender in 5A. Bingham will fall in line with older schools who's neighborhoods get older and student populations goes down. Sorry. You better cherish the next couple of years. Then your ordinary.

Next, " Herriman dropped to 4a to try to become more competitive." Schools are not allowed to drop clasifications based on competitition. Only on student enrollment. Herriman being a new school is going to have some flucutation the first few years but will end up in 5A.

Cant wait for the boys of fall!

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Doug Whitmore,

If you are a coach at a new school who struggles (as any new school does), why would you "weed out" good athletes that transfer in? Especially with the open enrollment rules these days. That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm a Bingham alum and am glad to see Bingham have sucess in football, finally (but in hindsight, it was truly funner before they started to dominate). I hope this run can last a few more years.

I'm kind of sad to see West Jordan and Bingham in different regions. West Jordan opened my freshman year (they just split Bingham in half - did not pull kids from any other school) and they have always been in the same region. Glad they are playing preseason. Brighton and Bingham played every year of Brighton's existence until a few years ago. Had one of the longest continuing rivalries until that point. Keep West Jordan on the schedule and in a couple years you'll be back in the same region.

• Letsbesensible SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 19, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Bingham...while tradition runs high and expectations are always high, this years team will struggle! The Sr. class is not very good, and have always ridden the coat tails of last year's class. They will have to depend on alot of under-classmen to help them this year. With all those under-classmen playing, there is little to no experience in many positions. They will have to rely too much on the leadership of Afalava on defense and NO leadership on offense. The secondary is horrible this year and the spread offensive teams will roll over Bingham. Many Soph's and even some Freshman will see the field this year. I pick Alta, Lone Peak & Hunter to be the favorites in 5A. Good luck to all the teams!

• Geo guy Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 12:47 p.m.

How about posting the rankings along with this article. Come on DN, your prep coverage is slipping.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:39 p.m.

High school football is the most raw form of sports there is. Well, at least in Region 1 where kids play in the respective boundaries. I love HS football and get excited every year. I still wouldn't doubt Bingham, their tradition is too strong. I would keep an eye out on Hunter. I always thought they should dominate football if they could just get some discipline. Hamilton should bring some pride back to Hunter. They've got some HUGE kids out in WVC. I'd love to see someone other than Bingham or Alta win it all and this just may be the year. Oh yeah, GO DARTS!

• Speed_Altitude Centerville, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:45 p.m.

The 800 lb gorilla for this year all through Ute Conference was Alta. It will be interesting to see how they fair this year as seniors.

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:51 p.m.

Parry is a Farce, Good point. I doubt a good coach would run kids off.

Letsvesensible, Teams that build for the future at the expense of Seniors usually fail. Most kids at Bingham and Alta do not play varsity until they are seniors. I know this last year at Bingham was the exception as many of those kids played as Juniors and some as Sophs, but to say 'Many' Sophs and Freshman will play might be a stretch. If that is right, that means there must not be very many good Seniors and Juniors, which can't be right. Don't know much about this year's team, so I might be wrong.

Geo guy, See page 2. The top 5 rankings are listed for each classification.

• screenname123 Sandy, UT
    July 19, 2011 2:01 p.m.

Geo guy?
    HUH? The rankings are in the article.......
    These pre-season rankings are fun to look at. But it seems the coaches aren't nearly as interested as we are. There is no way Bingham should be at the top of the list.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    July 19, 2011 2:36 p.m.

To Boys of Fall.
    A better question might be "will any of the smaller schools in 2A ever win another state title in football?" Schools twice your size is tough enough but schools three times your size? Numbers dominate football.

• Geo guy Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:10 p.m.

HSFAN: Wow, MY BAD. Thanks (I mean this in all humility - I missed that one)

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Bingham has won 24 straight and 3 state titles in the last 5 years including the past 2 straight. They have not lost to a team from Utah since the 2008 Title game. Leave them there until someone knocks them off.

These polls are just for fun anyway. They typically sort themselves out 3 or 4 weeks into the season. And they have a playoff at the end of the year so they don't matter anyway.

And as for UtahUte16's comment that in Davis County everyone plays where they live, I doubt that. But even if they do, they rig the boundaries so that Davis has 400 to 600 students more that the surrounding schools. Those extra students provide Davis a huge advantage. A bigger population usually equates to a better football program (e.g., Bingham and Alta).

• Boy's of Fall Fillmore, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:18 p.m.

carver, good to see you again. I'm not too worried about those teams that dropped down to 2A. I think many of the 2A teams will compete with them just fine.
    There are a # of 2A teams that play 3A teams in the preseason anyway and usually do all right, at least with the smaller 3A teams (In fact last year S. Summit went to Delta & beat them 22-7. Then Delta went all the way to the 3A semifinals.).
    The 2A teams would have a hard time competing with the larger 3A teams, but against the smaller ones (in which those teams that dropped down were classified) I think we can hold our own.
    Should be fun to watch.
    BTW- I heard that Enterprise looked pretty good at the Juab camp. That they were bigger than expected and played Delta tough. Any insight?

• Boo Ya!!! SLC, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Re: Carver

Shall I call the whambulance?

There's nobody three times your size. In fact, the ratio was 2.4 for 2A and 2.6 for 3A.

Amazing how we all seem to whine when "that school" is the "three timed" school in 2A, but move THEM up to 3A where it is even WORSE for them and it's OK.

Just play ball.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:30 p.m.

whoisjohngalt: Don't expect Bingham to get "older" anytime soon. They had 160 8 year old kids last year start playing in the little league. 2nd only to Alta. So they have plenty of kids still feeding the program. As for somebody's comment on their secondary being horrible. Actually they have some very good corners and safeties this year. They brought up a bunch of kids from the soph. squad to play JV and even saw some varsity time last year. So they will have plenty of experience playing Varsity ball this year. The question will be their QB. I'm not sold on Lail as their starting QB. But right now that is who has the starting nod. He really does not have that good of an arm. Lambourn better get pretty creative with his plays because this kid isn't going to throw a lot. At least not successfully. They had some out of state kids move into the area that are AWESOME! Kid from the Trinity Tx. program moved into the area and is phenomenal! I still say Alta is the team this year, but Bingham will be there to battle at the end as always.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Actually Davis Co. schools police the players very effectively, having coached in both Davis and SL counties I can back up UtahUte16 on this one.

• eagle Provo, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:50 p.m.

You have to see Bingham a bit like Timpview in 4-A. A program that reloads rather than forced to rebuild. You can probably put Mountain Crest in 4-A like that too, I don't see them slipping that much. There is too much talent there, too much talent and tradition. I think Bingham, like Timpview, will have a move-in or two that will make huge impacts. Not saying Bingham will win it but it wouldn't shock me if they did, they should be in the fray for sure.

• Big Pappy west jordan, utah
    July 19, 2011 5:46 p.m.

No more patsy region schedule for the Miners...Thank goodness! Every week was another boring game for the Miners. Now each region game will be exciting! I actually think that this new region will only make the Miners stronger.
    No more having to sit through a West Jordan, Kearns or Taylorsville game will be a breath of fresh air. Maybe now the Jags will be in contention for a region crown...what has it been 10 or so years. I can't believe that the Coach at WJ still has a job. In a non-region game I see Bingham beating up on the Jags by at least 50 points.

Thank goodness the regions have realigned. Go Miners.

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    July 19, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Bingham has NEVER beaten Alta in this age group ever. Haven't really even been close. Would be a major upset if it happened this year. Altas group won all but one championship in the six years of little league. The big challenge for Alta this year will be riverton. End of story. Watch and see.

• SLCBOY Moodys, OK
    July 19, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Hey guys, can i get some thoughts on 4A, who do you guys think will take the title?

GO RAMS!!

• jbkhbrmz Saint George, UT
    July 19, 2011 6:28 p.m.

I actually think the ratings aren't too far off. Timpview will reload, and I believe they will be refocused. They are the favorite and should be. Highland lost a lot up front, especially on defense, with the departure of Fakahafua, Collins, Kafusi, and Tafisi, but they still have a lot of quality players. I think they will be good, but I don't see them winning it without Fakahafua. East High should be in the top 5 over Mountain Crest at third IMO. They are loaded with talent in the trenches and have a good coach in Matich. Springville and Bountiful belong in the top 5. Mountain Crest without Kuresa? I don't think so.

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    July 19, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Wasp Alum: Not so sure Juab is all that "loaded" and "talented". They looked pretty good at times and pretty bad at times at five star camp. Anything can happen with coach Bowring though. Boys of fall: Enterprise did look quite good at camp. They will be a tough out this year. Sad that the UHSAA chose to break up the most evenly matched region in high school sports last year, region 12. We will miss playing Manti, Richfield and Emery. Here's hoping things will look the same again soon. Watch out for North Sanpete as a wild card in 3A this year....lots of talent and good coaching.

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    July 19, 2011 7:13 p.m.

3A Rankings

1. Pine View
    2. Hurricane
    3. Juan Diego
    4. Dixie
    5. Desert Hills

• Trix R 4 Kids Small Town, USA, UT
    July 19, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Bingham pratice's year around? Isnt that against the rules, I think you mean to say they condition year around. There is a dead space where they can't practice officially................

• fender Washington, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Southpride56

Hurricane is always in the mix, because they've built a nice program with solid coaching and a pipeline of good kids, but don't think you can justify ranking them ahead of Juan Diego at this point. Hurricane has more holes to fill than JD. Pine View is very well coached and loaded offensively. They should be top 3 along with JD and Hurricane, and at year's end the champ is one of those three. But I disagree with Dixie ahead of Desert Hills or that Dixie is top five. Desert Hills returns a bunch of starters, including three all state kids on D and they could challenge the top three. Dixie has a few stud skill kids, but they're very thin elsewhere. I do agree with your obvious point, however, that Region Nine is the best 3A region in 2011.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:31 p.m.

My previous comment the computer crashed.....I cheer for Skyline, but went and watched my cuz that plays for Hunter las week when they scrimmaged Timpview. You could tell the kids were learning new schemes, maybe new positions. Hamilton will get them going, but it may be until Region starts before they gel and figure things out. At least that's what I hope. Timpview rolled them easily, prob would have been 40-0. I think Hunter maybe got 2 first downs. But scrimmages don't mean anything. Two things I thought while driving home. Hunter has a big, good D Line (one kid didn't play) and Timpview looked in mid season form already. I like Alta 5A and think TV will be right there again. I know Alta is loaded. Should be a good first game when Alta hosts Timpview week 1.

Oh yea....plyplx of course you would take Alta. You always do. just keep that caw caw guy away.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:48 p.m.

Herriman Players -

Flake: Family moved to Wyoming
    Lorenzen: Still on the team
    Staley: Quit
    Cornia: Quit
    Beck: Quit

None of the names you mentioned were in the Top 3 on the depth chart except for Flake. DesNews, if you allow a previous post mentioning these boys by name then you should allow me to defend the program by mentioning these same boys by name. They are all really nice kids but the facts need to be accurate.

• play hard Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:49 p.m.

prepsportsfan make that 2 they did not win, we beat you the last year when all the boys where together as a group before being split up for high school, and we played west Jordan once for the championship and lost in 4 overtimes. so take us lightly im sure you wont have a tough time coming to the jungle this year, we will just roll over. see you soon

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    July 20, 2011 1:19 a.m.

Could someone explain to me why people in South Davis County are so obsessed with what happened in youth football? In yourth football all you need is one kid who is faster than everyone else and you're going to dominate. A successful youth program doesn not equate into success in high school. I appreciate all of the people who make the Ute Football conference a great experience asnd those who coach, but there are some parents at certain schools who have no idea what it takes to coach on the high school level. It is a total different monster and the speedy kid from 7th grade often stays the same size and the plays become more complex. I can't stand listening to certain (definitely not all) former youth coaches act as it these boys are "their" boys. Many wonderful people give time to the young programs and understand how it works, but there are amny in certain schools that have some parents way out of touch with reality.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 20, 2011 8:16 a.m.

slcftbll....I agree the caw guy makes me cringe every time...hopefully his kid graduated, but for the record last year I didn't take Alta, like everyone else I knew it was Bingham's year. I also don't think it's clear cut at all this year, Fremont and Lone Peak are both going to contend and either of those teams could win it. Alta just has so much talent they'll definitely contend and should win their Region. I doubt Riverton will be nearly as competitive as they were last year, they had a great class and even though they had decent underclassmen last year they will have a tough time winning as many games in their new region.
    Springville will contend with TV this year in 4A, they have a qb that looks strong and a few kids on their OL that should dominate most of their 4A opponents.

• bulldog72 Holladay, UT
    July 20, 2011 8:29 a.m.

Why all the talk from Bingham fans trying to discredit Herriman? Are you that worried about a second-year school? The comment about Herriman dropping to 4A because of competition is laughable. No one chooses what classification they will be in, it is all done by enrollment and Herriman has the 43rd largest enrollment according to the UHSAA. They kept the top 24 in 5A. Seems pretty simple to me.

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    July 20, 2011 9:18 a.m.

go LONE PEAK!!!! im glad im not the only one who things they are going to be good this year!!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2011 10:42 a.m.

bulldog72: Herriman has nothing to discredit. They haven't done anything yet. Nor should they have done anything yet. But last year we heard over and over how great their coaches were, and how they would be competing for a championship in 5A in 4 years. It takes years for a new school to compete. Riverton had all the talent in the world when they split with Bingham, and look how long it took them to even win a playoff game? Nobody is slagging on Herriman because they haven't done anything yet. I give them 4-5 wins this year looking at their schedule. Not bad for a 2nd year team in 4A. It's the parents at Herriman that need to keep quiet.

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    July 20, 2011 10:47 a.m.

bulldog72,

I don't think that anyone from Bingham is trying to discredit Herriman. Some just thought that Herriman opening would pull some kids from Bingham and bring Bingham down somewhat. Did not see that last year, might this year.

And you are spot on on the dropping to 4A thing. That was done to Herriman because of enrollment numbers. Herriman did not do that to become more competitive. The first poster on this article made that assumption that Herriman did it to become competitive and several posters have pointed out that that is not how it works.

I grew up near Bingham back when that was a very rural area. I cheer for Bingham first and Riverton and Herriman next because they were split off of Bingham.

I think Herriman affected Riverton more than Bingham. Will be interesting to see what the new school in Draper does to Alta here in the next year or two when it opens.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2011 1:06 p.m.

Parry, It affected Riverton A LOT more than it did Bingham. Granted down the road a lot of the growth in Daybreak may affect Bingham some. But just know that the numbers in the Riverton little league program went from about 900 to about 500+. Bingham dropped about 100 in numbers.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 20, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Draper high is scheduled to open in 2013-14 so the incoming sophomore class will stay intact at Alta and will have a choice to go to Draper when they are seniors, after that I think there will be a major impact on Alta football, likely quicker than has happened with Bingham because so many of the players at Alta live in Draper.

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Gunner, I agree with you 100%, but if it is the Herriman parents that need to be more realistic then that is what posters ought to say, not bringing up how these 'great' kids are being weeded out and are out of football. That was a direct shot at the Herriman coaching staff and was completely uncalled for by that poster.
    Personally, I am totally surprised that Herriman got a vote in the poll. Yes, they made the playoffs as a first year school (compliment to the coaches), but they only return 3 starters from a 4-7 team! Personally I would have thrown in a vote for Olympus instead with that QB they have coming back.
    And I will agree with all of the other posters, Riverton is going to be WAY more affected than Bingham by the split...I think about 75% of Herriman HS came from Riverton HS.

• Bench Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:25 p.m.

Gunner is correct. The HHS boundary took mostly Riverton kids. Only a few Bingham kids. Bingham and Riverton will be a little down, but that has nothing to do with Herriman, it has to do with loosing lots of seniors with experience. That being said, they will both still be good.

I still root for Riverton, but I also hope Herriman continues to get better. I know they only lost a few seniors and have a bunch of seniors and juniors coming back with Varsity and JV playing time. I do think they will be better than the 4-5 games Gunner predicted.

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    July 20, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Well, the Draper school will mostly split Alta in half. Herriman, took a lot from Riverton and a little from Bingham. I think that Alta will feel it but it will take several years.

I was at Bingham (as a freshman) when it was split in half to open West Jordan. We had kids who lived in West Jordan coming to Bingham to play for 5 years and we did not have the benefit of open enrollment then. With open enrollment, I'm guessing that several Draper kids, who grew up playing Alta little league and watching brothers play at Alta, will transfer to Alta.

Of course, when they split Jordan to open Alta, Alta became dominant almost immediately. I think Alta took a football title 5 years into their existance. They opened in 78 and took State in 83. And look as Syracuse in their second year, of course they make all the kids in Davis county play where they live so that probably does not count.

Gunner, you are a Bingham alum? What year did you graduate?

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Parry, I'd rather not give the year to keep some anonymity. But if you were a freshmen when they opened WJ, I am probably about 4-5 years younger than you. I also went to Bingham as a 9th grader as well. I played with a ton of kids from WJ in little league prior to the WJ split. We lost a boat load of talent from that split. The Herriman split is nothing even close to what Bingham lost when the WJ split happened. I agree, Alta will take a huge hit once the new H.S. is built. You probably know my brothers and cousins if you graduated in 81.

• Sportfanatic West Jordan, UT
    July 20, 2011 8:01 p.m.

The toughest chore for Alta this year, is dealing with the replacement of Coach Les Hamilton. Hopefully the transition will be minimal, as the new coach has been with Alta since Les got there. He knows the players, and knows how to coach an offense. Defensive coach is new so we'll have to see how the defense adjusts. With all of that being said though, Alta is loaded this year with talent. They are a Senior and Juinior laden team with a ton of talented players and depth at every position. I have to agree with Gunner in that Alta should be the team to beat this year, if the team gels with the new head coach. My bet is that they will.

Also, for those of you in Region 2, watch out for Hunter this year, and years to come. Les Hamilton is probably one the two best coaches in the state, next to Dave Peck. He knows how to motivate and he knows how to coach a football team. Very sad to have seen parents force him out of Alta, but he will be very successful at Hunter. Watch out for the Wolverines

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    July 21, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Gunner, I understand the desire to maintain anonymity. I did not gradutate in 81. I was a freshman in 81-82, so maybe we are closer in age than you are thinking. I remember as a freshman playing against kids who had been on my little league teams just the year before - it was odd.

And DN. How is this comment offensive and worthy of being denied??

• 2A sports fan Blanding, UT
    July 21, 2011 3:51 p.m.

How does San Juan look this year?

• hohum Saint George, UT
    July 21, 2011 5:46 p.m.

Guess I will throw in a little 3A banter. You have region 9 back to the way it should have been for the last three years. Going to be one of the best regions in the state. Pine View is loaded, Cedar and Hurricane will be competitive, Dixie young, Snow Canyon is unknown, Desert Hills returns some Canyon View seems to suffer.

Pine View has massive offensive line, experienced qb, running back and some recievers. Defensive 7 starters back, should be good with two move ins, one from LV and the state 100, 200, 400 and long jump champion from Idaho.

Predictoions:

1. Pine View
    2. Cedar
    3. Hurricane
    4. Desert Hills
    5. Snow Canyon
    6. Dixie
    7. Canyon View

• Football881 South Jordan, UT
    July 21, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Im friends really good friends with the coaching staff at Bingham and they said that Lail has been tearing it up. I went to some JV games last year and Lail did great. JV has no effect of what anyone will do this year. Nothing that you do in JV shows how you will be in a varsity game. Just like nothing you do in high school Proves you will be a great college player. Its the Intangibles and Lail has all of those for sure. He had a great camp and will have a great season. Bingham's offense wont change. They might not score in the 50s each game but they have the potential to be in the 40s week in and week out. With that coaching staff they should never be the underdog, They are always prepared and have better schemes. Please no more talk about little league, it means nothing!

• Boy's of Fall Fillmore, UT
    July 21, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Re: 2A sports fan
    You're from Blanding so I was hoping you could tell us. I don't really see anyone challenging them in their region though (unless they really have a drop off from last years team).
    Just looking at it, it looks like they lost their QB, leading rusher & receiver, & leaders on defense. But, the way they are coached & how those boys step up, I wouldn't count them out. They're my pick to win the region & until another team steps up or SJ faulters they deserve the #1 spot.
    Why don't you enlighten us?

• jbkhbrmz Saint George, UT
    July 21, 2011 10:46 p.m.

hohum

I agree with your assessment of region 9 for the most part, but I'm not too sure about Cedar at #2. Obviously, Coach Peacock will get the most out of the talent, but I think they overachieved last year, and they lost a lot of good seniors. I have also heard that they have some key players that might be ineligible. I think Hurricane and Desert Hills will both be better than Cedar. Hurricane lost a lot to graduation, but they have some good kids coming up and always do a great job coaching. Desert Hills has a lot of talent and should contend for the region title. I agree Pine View is loaded. I think Dixie will be improved greatly. Coach Monkers does a good job and their young quarterback is growing into a stud. Should be very interesting down South this year.

• SpeakinOut Sandy, UT
    July 21, 2011 10:48 p.m.

I know that Alta has three players this year who have D-1 commitments already. Rhett Sandlin to BYU, Austin Lee to U of U and Steven Richards to BYU. Are there other teams with several players who have scholarship offers already? And, if so, is this any indication at all about how good their teams will be this year? Just wondering.

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2011 11:36 p.m.

re: speaking out.

You asked if "a team has scholarship players is that any indication if they will be good?"

No, I think that just because a team has Div 1 talent and kids with scholarship offers means they are really bad.

That has to be the dumbest question of the year.

• Westlake Fan Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 21, 2011 11:36 p.m.

@jbkhbrmz

With the talk of Cedar, have you heard where Ursua is going to be this year? We're hearing rumors up here in Utah county that he's back at Westlake, but I don't have any kids in the school anymore all that interested in football so they didn't know if he was in camp with the Thunder or had stayed at Cedar...

• Tbirds4lyfe South Jordan, Utah
    July 22, 2011 5:07 a.m.

This year the T-Birds will rise again! I can't wait for the season to begin as well as having Springville in our region this year. That way we don't have 'HOPE' we play them again in the playoffs but rather pay them back early. For those that thought we were going to slowly go away, I'm sorry to disappoint you as HUNTER will tell you otherwise after our scrimmage (mind you I understand they are adjusting to Coach Hamilton's system).
    I also truly think 4A will be more fun to watch again this year as Bingham and Alta are by far the class of 5A. In 4A, I think it's wide open! The usual suspects will be there (Timp, Mountain Crest, Springville, Bountiful, Highland) but with the addition of Skyline and the return of East, Olympus and WX, it's going to be a dog fight.
    And no one better sleep on Westlake (no doubt one of the top 3 D-Lines in the state period). If the qb comes back, they are as good as any team in the state. Cottonwood better be ready for them or they will get embarassed!
    For Alta, "IT'S ON"!!!

• UtahCountyFootball PROVO, UT
    July 22, 2011 8:34 a.m.

As a person close to the Timpview football program in no way does Tbirds4lyfe speak for this years team in calling out Alta by saying "IT"S ON!!!" Also in no way do we want to say anything close to sounding negative about Hunter or Springville who are both teams we extremely respect. Do we think our team will be good? Yes, but so does everyone else this time of year as they should. The T-Birds still have several spots to fill and a tough preseason to get through first and foremost. Best of luck to every team in Utah this year!

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    July 23, 2011 3:08 p.m.

I dont think bingham will be as good this year as they were last year. They are a great team and congrats on all you have accomplished,but in my opinion if they want a repeat its going to be alot harder this year then you think,there are alot of good schools out there,that are gunning for you. and its true, you are the best till someone proves you wrong.so good luck miners I wish you all the best.

• Albertos Salt lake, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Region 9

#1 In 3A and Region 9 , Pine View. This year will be a cake walk for Pine View. They spent the last few years in 4A and held their own in state play. Sorry in advance to the rest of region 9.

• redandwhite Park City, UT
    July 25, 2011 4:06 p.m.

3A always starts with Juan Diego if Pine View thinks they have a cakewalk good luck with that. I am sure the team won't think that. Very good teams in 3A this year good luck to all! Go Miners!!

• fender Washington, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:52 a.m.

redandwhite

The new season doesn't start with Juan Diego or Pine View. Juan Diego has good coaching and a pipeline of kids, but so does Timpview and look what happened to them last year in 4A. 3A will be very competitive this year with the teams added through reclassification. DNews rankings are pretty close with top three being Juan Diego, Hurricane and Pine View, but there are other schools who will put decent teams on the field this season including Park City, Desert Hills and Spanish Fork.

• True Blue Layton Fan Layton, UT
    July 31, 2011 7:57 p.m.

Football just 2 1/2 weeks away!!!

• True Blue Layton Fan Layton, UT
    July 31, 2011 8:40 p.m.

Layton looking at a tough pre-season schedule with Hunter, Jordan, Timpview and Bingham. Could be 0-4 rolling into the regular season. Go Layton!

• Rapid Alpine, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Bingham's schedule is really easy. All of the away games are at the some of the easiest teams in 5A. It's the entire other way around for Lone Peak. Lone Peak's away games are the toughest teams in it's region. Its funny to me that Bingham is already talking about vsing lone peak when its playing Alta early on. Listen Bingham, lets look forward to getting beat by lone peak after you get beat by Alta. Opinions of course but seriously Bingham's secondary is going to get eaten alive by all the passing teams. I seriously think Alta is being really underestimated, they looked great at 7on7 camps. GL to all teams. Go LP!