U.S. & World

July 12, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Don't leave angry...

just leave!

• MonkeySpider Lindon, ut
    July 12, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Pagan

Wow, you have some hate for Ron Paul much? He is a true patriot and constitutionalist! MSM does a lot to try and keep Dr. Paul and his policies in the dark from Americans. If you did real research on Dr Paul, you would see that he is the Best chance American has to get back on track. I would love to hear your arguments on why he wouldn't be good?

• DCUte Draper, UT
    July 12, 2011 11:59 a.m.

It's probably best that Ron Paul retire from Congress.

He's so focused on running for President now that he rarely attends committee meetings and frequently misses floor votes.

I admire him for vacating the seat and letting it be filled by someone who actually cares about being a Member of Congress.

• MonkeySpider Lindon, ut
    July 12, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Pagan

His party. That's your reasoning? The Republican Party has completely lost its track, you always bring up the past and I usually agree, the republican party has done a lot do destroy our country. Ron Paul wants to withdraw all of our foreign troops, cut spending, audit and abolish the federal reserve, abolish TSA and the Patriot Act. If he thought he had a shot at winning under Independent then he would run Independent but he knows that the only way to win is with the Republican nomination. So Ill ask again, what about RON PAUL's policies don't you like? Not the republican parties policies, I'm talking about Ron Paul.

• Be Practical Sandy, UT
    July 12, 2011 12:03 p.m.

"He said he's received more support for his 2012 presidential bid than any before, and that he wants to concentrate exclusively on that race."

Let's see, he wants to serve out his term through December 2012 and then concentrate exclusively on his his presidential election campaign which, at the latest, will be over and done with in November 2012? What am I missing here?

• MonkeySpider Lindon, ut
    July 12, 2011 12:28 p.m.

Pagen

I guess they are blocking my comments back, anyways, what facts did you present to the question I asked? You lumped Ron Paul in with all republicans, if you viewed his voting record you would notice that it hasn't changed in over 30 years! He wants to withdraw all of our foreign troops, audit and abolish the Federal Reserve, abolish the TSA, cut spending and reduce debt, abolish the IRS. He would run independent if he thought he could win as an independent but he knows that he needs the republican nomination to win. What's bad about Ron Paul and his policies? Let me remind you that we are talking about Ron Paul, not all republicans....

• williary Kearns, UT
    July 12, 2011 12:31 p.m.

I disagree with Paul on quite a few issues, but I'll give him a huge amount of credit for being consistent. You've got two-faced Republicans right now like Cantor claiming that just voting for a raise in the debt ceiling is a huge compromise for his Republicans. While they all voted 7 times to raise the limit under W. I believe Paul did not vote for any of those raises, so kudos for him to being true to his word, not just playing dangerous political games that they will hope lead to America failing.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    July 12, 2011 1:02 p.m.

I'm glad to see Ron Paul retire.
    He has served honorable and it is time. I didn't agree with his votes or most of what he sponsored but I do feel he was totally sincere in what he did. That is worth something.

I am curious why Monkey Spider finds it necessary to attack Pagan anytime Pagan posts. Is there some kind of delight Spider gets from his attempts to demean Pagan??

This article was about the retirement of Rep Ron Paul. Not Pagan.

• MonkeySpider Lindon, ut
    July 12, 2011 1:26 p.m.

owlmaster2

How am I attacking or demeaning pagan? What pagan said made it seem like Ron Paul is a bad politician, and I take offense to that considering that Ron Paul is one of the only men in office that really has American citizens best interests at heart. His policies and voting record show that, and I was just asking Pagan why he doesn't like Ron Paul, and his answer was regarding republicans NOT Ron Paul, so I asked again and have yet to get a response, I don't think I was attacking or demeaning at all.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Yeah, VST, Christie paid for it - after people criticized the joy ride.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    July 12, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Good Now we can elect Ru Paul who would get just as many votes.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 12, 2011 3:03 p.m.

Pagan/Pagen:

Sometimes I actually agree with your posts. But on this one you have made one grave error. By lumping Ron Paul with all the (R's), you failed to realize that he has been opposed to US be any of these wars, quite opposed. Yes Paul does have an (R) by his name in regards to his affiliation but often goes against his own party, especially in regards to foreign intervention. Paul is probably the one (R) that is closest to be a Libertarian. That's why I like Ron Paul, he makes those Republican presidential debates lively and by having absolutely no chance of winning he can just about say anything!

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    July 12, 2011 3:15 p.m.

I pulled this off of wikipedia. "He has gained prominence for his libertarian positions on many political issues, often clashing with both Republican and Democratic Party leaders. Paul has run for President of the United States twice before, first in 1988 as the nominee of the Libertarian Party and again in 2008 as a candidate for the Republican nomination." Ron Paul may run on the Republican ticket but he is more a Libertarian. There are things I like about him, things I don't. He is for much smaller government, as a Libertarian, but sometimes he is too extreme and sometimes he just says things that have nothing to do with what is being said. But I watch him every week sing in the Tabernacle Choir ;)

• Madden Herriman, UT
    July 12, 2011 3:22 p.m.

I voted for Ron Paul last time, will do it again.

Those who try to rip the guy because of his party don't get it...he is NOTHING like the GOP. If the Libertarians lost a few of their more extreme positions, they would become the new and improved GOP, led by a person like Ron Paul. He is one of the few who tried to reign in his party and push them a better direction. How can you hate that (other than the fact that he pushed but ultimately failed)?

He lacks the "charismatic leader" persona, but as an honorable man and a though leader on practical matters in the US, he is fantastic.

• DonO Draper, UT
    July 12, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Ron Paul has no chance of becoming president and had only a slightly better chance of being re-elected to Congress. He had a very tough intra-party opponent in his Texas district who doubtless would have cleaned his clock. He doubtless saw the proverbial writing on the wall and decided to quit on his own terms rather than suffering the humiliating defeat as an incumbent. (Other Incumbents should take note.)

• DCUte Draper, UT
    July 12, 2011 3:39 p.m.

While I'm not personally Rep. Paul's biggest fan, I definitely think we need more public officials who are willing to question the status quo and think "outside the box," like him.

I wish him the best on his campaign and in retirement and am grateful for his honorable (scandal-free) service.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2011 4:17 p.m.

@Pagan. Ron Paul wants to legalize doobies. I cant see you disagreeing with that. I do not do drugs. Never have. I think all illegal drugs and even too many prescription drugs are stupid. But if legalizing drugs come with legalizing the Constitution and freedom why not? I will support Ron Paul.

• Riles Midway, UT
    July 12, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Let's see...

- Anti-intervention (so, by definition, anti-offensive war & anti-tax)
    - Historically consistent - a 30 year track record of principled voting
    - Pro-constitution (so, by definition, pro civil rights)
    - Anti-abortion - with experience as an obstetrician to inform his views
    - Anti-Federal Reserve and its wealth-destroying currency manipulation
    - Voted against Iraq, bailouts, QE1, QE2, challenges his own party
    - Anti-corporatist: detests all inequality in the application of laws
    - Military veteran who supports a strong defense
    - Lifelong Christian married for 50+ years to same woman, no scandals

What more do you want from a candidate? I seriously don't understand what people have against this guy. He promotes every freedom imaginable (speech, association, right to bear arms, free market) and has demonstrated his commitment to constitutional principles while remaining unflappable in the face of 30 years of corporate lobbying. Here is a guy who could bring all sides together like no one before him because his message is popular...

liberty for all.

All voters who take seriously the privilege of participating in the democratic process owe it to themselves and others to learn about this man.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    July 12, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I'm sure I don't agree with EVERYTHING Ron Paul supports, but even given what little I know about him he seems to be an honorable man who is committed to the basic principles of freedom. I do need to do some more research on him, but out of the choices so far, he'll most likely be the one to get my vote. I'm certainly not voting for Romney, Huntsman, Palin, Huckabee, Trump, or anyone else that has been talked about in recent weeks.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 12, 2011 5:12 p.m.

I agree with some posts that Ron Paul is not your everyday Republican. He wants to get out of the wars--I agree with that. If he truly is for ending unfair loopholes in tax policy for corporations, I can agree with that as well. I think everyone is anti-abortion. I don't know women who think to themselves...you know, I think I will get pregnant so I can have an abortion. It is much more of a complicated issue than some would like to believe. Women don't make this decision lightly. It is very difficult to define health of the mother. I believe since it is their life on the line, they should make the choice and not a government agent...kind of big government there--tracking every pregnancy. I don't think women should be forced to deliver babies from rape and incest, seems really wrong.

Ron Paul does believe in such a limited government that I believe it would bring us back to the early 1900s. The idea that business will take care of everyone--not really good. Needs to be a balance there to help keep the greed of business from ruining society.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2011 5:35 p.m.

At 75 and after how many terms in office, it's about time that Ron Paul retire. Now, if his contemporary Orrin Hatch (77 if I'm not mistaken) would take the hint . . . .

• Cougar Blue N. Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2011 5:50 p.m.

I do not agree with some of his ideals, but would that all Republicans had half the gumption, ideals, and morals that this man has. We'd all be much better off.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 12, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Thanks for the backup people, I think from all the posts it is evident that Ron Paul is much different than the rest of the Republicans running for President.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 12, 2011 9:59 p.m.

While I do not agree with some of his policy or ideology, I believe Ron Paul is as patriotic as you can get. He stands by his guns and has a lot of integrity.