Utah

Olene Walker: Legacy without an heir

Comments

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2011 9:33 p.m.

I liked Olene Walker, and I wish she had won the election to serve a full term after succeeding Mike Leavitt.

By the way, the article incorrectly states that Governor Leavitt took charge of the Environmental Protection Agency when he left Utah; he was appointed Secretary of Health and Human Services.

• utahprincipal801 Sandy, UT
    July 10, 2011 10:01 p.m.

Olene Walker represents the best of Utahns, especially its women. Such a sad thing that we are controlled by the right wing Republicans who have learned how to manipulate the state's politics.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 10, 2011 10:16 p.m.

Olene Walker is a true leader. She choose to do what was best for the state, not what was politically expedient. We could use a few Olene Walkers both at the state and national level. She always put people before politics, and she is right about the lip service to education as the current Republican leaders cut the financial support. Best wishes to a classy women who truly cared about her state.

• HavartiWhiz Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2011 11:09 p.m.

@AlanSutton ... The information is correct. He took over HHS about a year or two afterward taking over EPA.

• utopia381 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2011 11:11 p.m.

P.S.- I love GRANDMA OLENE!

• SME Kearns, UT
    July 11, 2011 7:02 a.m.

The statement "she stood tough for education" implies that those who support vouchers are not supportive of education. That is not the case, voucher supporters are very concerned about education, they are simply looking for alternatives to the status quo in education. Many people would agree that there are aspects of public education that are not beneficial to many children.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    July 11, 2011 8:26 a.m.

Just because we don't have a woman holding statewide office at the moment does not mean that our state isn't ready to elect a woman as governor. It simply means that no woman with the credentials and political philosophy that we support has run for governor. I will not vote for someone based solely on their gender, race, or religion. I would not withold support based on any of those qualities, either. I look for the most capable individual whose experience, character and ideas fit with what I believe politically.

I resent the demeaning attitude toward Utah voters expressed in this article, implying that we just aren't "ready" to elect a woman governor because we somehow just don't understand how capable women are. Hogwash!

• JohnH Cedar City, UT
    July 11, 2011 8:59 a.m.

A student once asked me what was meant by the term "hatchet piece." I believe I'll save this article as an example. Look at that former governors Walker and Huntsman are doing now. Walker is teaching Sunday school, and Huntsman is running for president. BOTH ARE WORTHWHILE ACTIVITIES. Walker and Huntsman served the state well, and I wish them both well on their chosen paths.

• fanUVU Orem, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Gov. Walker is a unique class act with no modern equal. An "elect lady" and inspiration to all who know her.

• JustAsking Saint George, UT
    July 11, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Gov. Walker is indeed a wonderful person humble, patient and brilliant. I am so glad that she is watching over my children in primary every week. She is an amazing example of service integrity and class.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    July 11, 2011 3:12 p.m.

She was unfortunately thrown under the bus by the Republican Party delegates at the convention for being against vouchers and for not being conservative enough. Of all the governors in this state since I came here in 1978 she is my second favorite one, behind Scott Matheson. Both put Utah before politics, when push came to shove.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    July 11, 2011 3:36 p.m.

I have admired Governor Walker for years. I was pulling for her to win the nomination. I would have voted for her, and I'm a Democrat.

I still admire her...80 years old and she is Primary President!! WOW!

You go Sister Walker!

• Utah Joe murray, utah
    July 11, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Gov. Walker did it all -- homemaker, business person, legislator, lt. governor, governor, educator and now primary president. Congrats to the reporter who so ably captured her true legacy. Walker and Leavitt -- those where the years.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 11, 2011 11:42 p.m.

I think Leavitt actually took a job with the EPA first and then later took the cabinet position over Health and Human Services. I also admit that I might be mistaken.

In regards to Walker, she would have been great as a full-term governor. She was conservative yet not strident in her positions. She would have been friendlier to education and public education in Utah wouldn't be in crisis.