Utah

Politico: Fox affiliate 'making fun of Mormons'

Comments

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 2:46 p.m.

'Indeed, the video shows Ferguson going around asking people about lesser-known Mormon beliefs and having a good laugh at the faith of GOP Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.' - Article

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    July 7, 2011 2:50 p.m.

They can do this because unlike other religions and groups we have enough tollerance to let people say it.

I can't think of another religion that would allow this kind of speech without it's own massive counter-punch. I think that speaks volumes about the LDS leadership and faith.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    July 7, 2011 3:12 p.m.

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Pagan--

No, I seriously doubt it. You'd have to have a fairly open mind for that to happen.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    July 7, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Re:Pagan

While your question likely is rhetorical and is probably not asked in sincerity, it is worth answering.

My answer only indicates my own leanings and is certainly not intended to speak for the LDS community as a whole. My answer also is hedged in the knowledge that there is hypocrisy within the party. There is hypocrisy within all the parties. Also, my answer does not reflect a hard-line "all things Republican" stance.

The reasons that I am a LDS member registered as a Republican are as follows:

- Republicans typically are pro-life

- Republicans typically support a traditional definition of marriage

- Republicans typically support self-sufficiency and individual achievement

- Republicans typically support private ownership and accountability over state ownership and accountability.

- Republicans typically believe that the constitution is a static document rather than a mutable dynamic document.

This is not to say that I could not compile a list of admirable ideals and qualities of the Democratic Party, it is simply that when weighed in the balance, for me, the Republican Party is more in line with my personal values and beliefs.

Thanks for asking.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 7, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Tell me, does the Deseret News employ interns to sit there all day and scan the internet for new content that makes fun of the LDS Church? I swear there's not a day that goes by without some blurb here pointing to some news organization somewhere in the world that has something negative to say about Mormons.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    July 7, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Ok I'll get out the violin.

• IDC Boise, ID
    July 7, 2011 3:37 p.m.

Mormons support Republicans because the moral and fiscal policy of republicans is more closely aligned with our beliefs. I realize that not all mormons are republican. (see Harry Reid among others)

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    July 7, 2011 3:38 p.m.

@ Pagan, sorry I cannot answer your question on these boards. I am LDS and do not support the Republican party. I have learned to think for myself and not blindly follow what seems to be the prevailing opinion of the LDS culture, as opposed to the gospel of the church.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    July 7, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Maybe he should now come to Salt Lake and ask us Mormons what Evangelicals believe in and you might get some funny responses. After that lets see how Evangelicals react compared to LDS members. I could tell you right now, they would be up in arms furious that those things were said, they then would demand apologies.
    Anyways mocking is nothing new for LDS members. Things like this only leads more people to investigate the church themselves.

• MollyMormon Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 3:47 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

You and I both read the article ... only when we stop clicking on these "blurbs" about Mormons will the Deseret News stop reporting on them. I for one like to know what's being said.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:20 p.m.

'Because public opinion polls show a greater anti-Mormon bias amongst Democrats than Republicans: 27% v. 18% saying they would not vote for a Mormon.' - Counter Intelligence | 4:11 p.m.

Source?

• Independent Henderson, NV
    July 7, 2011 4:22 p.m.

"Maybe he should now come to Salt Lake and ask us Mormons what Evangelicals believe in and you might get some funny responses."

Good point. For example, I think the belief that you can sin as much as you want, but if you merely say Jesus is your savior, you will be saved is kind of an absurd belief. Same with the idea that God created everything out of nothing, or that anything God will ever say is in the Bible. Or that salvation consist of an eternity of contemplating the face of God, which doesn't just seem absurd, but rather extremely boring and something I would not want to sign up for.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    July 7, 2011 4:24 p.m.

"Can someone please explain to me WHY Mormons support the Republican party again?"

That would be becaue they are under the delusion, or at least they want to believe, that the Republican Party is somehow better than the Democratic Party.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Pagan:

Gallup Poll, published June 20, 2011. Not too hard to find.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Image two thousand years ago hearing that a virgin had a baby and that a dead man came back to life-------now that is craziness-----but now-a-days it is not so far fetched----with 2 billion people believing it. With God anything is possible. I think many evangelicals (including Ferguson) are so bored with the idea of faith and repentance, that they have to dwell on armageddon and Israel and nuclear war and politics and yet when they hear a person can "get their own planet" they want to dwell on that, instead of faith and repentance. Evangelicals need to get some curiosity and think outside the box and question things more: if the garden of Eden was not in Missouri, where was it? If we find out it was in India or Africa, it really doesn't matter to me where it was; why dwell on that??? Evangelicals themselves believe in America being a part Biblical prophecy as much as anyone, so why not Missouri???

• El Chapin South Jordan, Utah
    July 7, 2011 5:16 p.m.

At what point does the LDS church finally throw a counter punch? Can you imagine if a reporter went around making fun of Jewish beliefs? It's time for our church leaders to play hardball and stop letting the media get away with their bigoted rhetoric. We look like a bunch of pansies.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 7, 2011 5:31 p.m.

@ Pagan and Independent,

Please go back and re-read Grundle's post. I think he answered the question quite beautifully. He gave precisely the same reasons why this Mormon is now leaning republican. Sad to admit but the Democratic Party is no longer the same one I used to believe in. More and more it's far left leaning liberal wing is taking over and it's becoming more and more like a socialist party than true democratic.

Now there's a lot about the Republican Party that I don't like either, like it's extreme right wing evangelical base that hates everything Mormon, but all in all, their core values are much more aligned with my beliefs and that of the faith that I follow as pointed out clearly by Grundle.

If we vote with our hearts and be at peace with ourselves, then that's a wonderful thing, even if we disagree. All the vicious attacks on each other is just a senseless waste of time and energy. Peace and love!!!

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:35 p.m.

@Grundle

Like you, my response is my own views and does not represent the church. I tend to support the Democratic Party over the GOP because:

Pro choice--Free Agency is a keystone to the LDS religion. I don't like the government making the decision for women and their bodies You cannot force morality. Lucifer tried...and we all know where that got him.

While I have my beliefs on marriage, I don't like to see others forced to the shadows or treated as second-class citizens. Their choice does not affect my life. I know of more straight marriages that are a drain on society. Church and State being separate, churches will not be forced to recognize marriages or perform them.

The Church has a strong welfare program. Helping the less fortunate is a strong measure of a nation's values. In serving others, we help ourselves as well.

Democrats believe in Government to regulate business. Unregulated business is what led to the Wall Street collapse, etc.

Democrats believe the founding fathers realized they could not forsee all problems and made the process to amend the Constitution, etc.

I think your views are admirable, just wanted to show my side.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    July 7, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Most Mormons support the Republican Party because is much more closely aligned with LDS principles than the Democrat Party. The vast majority of Mormons don't have any trouble discerning that. Unforunately, there are still a few who don't seem to get it.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    July 7, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Wildcat, how do reconcile your beliefs on abortion and same sex marriage when the leaders you sustain come out and explicitly exhort you to oppose them? I don't get it. Does the doctrine of agency come into play when it comes to taxes and social welfare programs?

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    July 7, 2011 6:16 p.m.

I always wondered if my evangelical friends believe in the resurrected Lord. I mean, if they believe Christ took up his body of flesh and bone from the grave on that Easter morning, but now He is only a spirit being, where did He leave His body??

• DonO Draper, UT
    July 7, 2011 6:23 p.m.

"Fools mock but they shall mourn..."

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 7, 2011 6:34 p.m.

@Independent

I could choose not to pay taxes or social welfare, that is my agency (which has consequences), but I believe in the 12th article of faith, "in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring and sustaing the law. I also believe in the new testament when Jesus was being tested by a Pharisee and said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's".

As far as the abortion and marriage issue go, I believe Thomas S. Monson made a statement supporting civil unions. I believe any couple should have the rights and benefits of State. It doesn't mean that the church has to recognize it or perform marriages, which I believe they should not have to with the principle of separation of Church and State.

I believe the church's stance is no abortion except in terms of rape, incest, and health of the mother, that isn't hard-line Pro Life. Do you really want the government making that call, or do you trust the woman to make the decision over her body.

I reconcile my beliefs just fine. Thank you.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 7, 2011 6:41 p.m.

I'm thinking the "If he is a good person, Romney is going to get his own planet" might be a statement that creates more questions. Thus, a need for answers.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    July 7, 2011 6:46 p.m.

My daddy always told me, the higher up the ladder you go, the more lonely it gets.
    If people didnt care, they wouldnt care to comment on the lds.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Attention LDS people out there: there are other choices besides the (R's) and (D's). You can independent, you can be libertarian, green, socialist worker, perhaps even communist.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:07 p.m.

@Cats

The vast majority of Mormons don't care about Republican or Democratic views as the majority of Mormons live outside the U.S.

Thank you for your praise--I don't have to be like most Mormons (nor want to be to other's definition). I have my reasons for my political views and I believe no one Party owns the church's views. I believe the Church feels the same way as they issue a political neutrality statement every year. I have my reasons and you have yours. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Let me leave you with a few thoughts to support my views. Jesus never asked for proof of insurance before he healed, never supported the money changers over people, never preached of trickle-down economics, believed in welfare and in helping those less fortunate, did not make public displays of morality for the sake of appearance like the Pharisees, was no respecter of persons, believed in supporting government, did not condemn others (the adulterer caught in the act), was a community organizer (12 apostles), probably believed in Unions as he was a carpenter, etc.

I state these to show the other side may have some good reasons.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:12 p.m.

After watching the video clips Pagan indeed asks the proper question? Why would anyone that is LDS want to be in the same political party as these people?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 7, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Grundle - very nicely said. And Wildcat, well put too.

I deeply respect people who understand it is a balance, and that both parties have their issues, hence the fact that both parties are loosing members, and those classifying themselves as Independent is not the most influential voting block. Anyone who votes party line, and doesn't acknowledge differences with a party line are people who have lost their capacity to think independently. No reasonable person agrees with anyone one else on all things.

Good discussion....

As for me, the questions were distorted, therefor the distorted answers. I wouldn't put too much weight in anything like this report - and for the most part, it was reasonably fair.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Mormon doctrine does NOT specifically say you will get your own planet,

however as sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father we can inherit all our father has, even becoming like our Father in heaven,

even able to create planets,

it's very logical and sound,

so a getting your own planet is thinking rather small.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:09 p.m.

Re:Wildcat

I think you beautifully illustrated my point about the admirable ideals and values of the Democratic Party by associating some of our shared core beliefs with your political beliefs.

I took from your post that you value free agency and how you believe that is reflected in the pro-choice and same-sex marriage issues. You also mentioned the welfare program and how that ties in with your values of helping the less fortunate. You also recognize the weaknesses of the free-market system (greed) and the need to mitigate those weaknesses. In all of these values we are kindred spirits. Perhaps that is why we are both attracted to the same gospel.

We may not necessarily agree on how these ideals translate to government policy but we do share the same values.

Thank you for your kind words!

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:17 p.m.

@ Wildcat 5:35
    I must point out an error in your post. The wall street collapse was not caused by unregulated business. It was caused by #1 9-11 and #2 the collapse of the housing market.
    9-11 would have been easy enough to rebound from if the housing market had not compounded the problem several years later.
    The housing market bubble was cause by liberal political pressure on banks to give unwise loans to other people. Clinton started the ludicrous idea that everyone should own a home regardless of one's ability to make payments. Bush had neither the time (9-11) nor the guts to stop it from happening, and Obama has only bailed out and supported Fannie and Freddie for what they did. It was the government that did this to us can't you see that?

• UteRB77 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:18 p.m.

I am really tired of hearing this twist on LDS doctrine - "get their own planet." This kid Ferguson has picked up on some cynical explanation of doctrine that has been completely pulled out of context for the single purpose of spinning it as a "fools belief." The "planet" statement is a manipulative and condescending statement devised for blatant prejudicial purposes. It is inappropriate for the political discussions at hand, and its use is hypocritical on the part of those that employ such tactics. Ferguson's antics on the street were transparent and ignorant. A real journalist would do his research to truly understand the LDS doctrine of salvation and eternal progression. My question for Ferguson is "what will you be doing should you "go to heaven." Practiced the harp lately?

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    July 7, 2011 8:26 p.m.

I have listened to and endured the comments of anti Mormons since junior high. It hurt and first and I couldn't understand why people, some of my classmates, would try to tell my friends that Mormons believed that the Indians came to America in submarines. Or that somebody's great-grandmother jumped out of the temple and swam to safety across the Great Salt Lake. The methods haven't changed. I liked Huckabee until he made is mocking anti Mormon jab. Some people thought it was funny, I suppose. But, belittling or mocking another's religion is never kind or funny, it's just mean. And unchristian. Those that do it are revealing something very uncomplimentary about their character.

The Mormons won't hit back. They are true Christians and will not sink to that behavior. But, others will continue to mock them and persecute them and say all manner of evil against them falsely just as Jesus said they would. We'll be blessed for just being patient and striving to live the way Christ would have us live.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:26 p.m.

@ wildcat 7:07
    Okay did you giggle as you wrote that because I seriously let out a nervous laugh as I read it.Unions in ancient Israel? Seriously? Community organizer? And I take issue with the welfare comment as well. The government welfare aka free ride is not the same as the church organized welfare. It isn't meant to be a permanent crutch regardless of what some have used it as. It was meant to inspire industry in people who were out of work so they could again support themselves and their families.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:31 p.m.

Memphis must have had a slow news day. I can't believe anyone with any journalistic integrity would pull a stunt like this. It is clear Ferguson was just going for shock value. Why else would he choose two unimportant and vague doctrines to skew and make even more vague. The tone he used in asking the questions was a little condescending as well. Clearly this guy had an agenda.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    July 7, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Why are more than half of my comments never posted? I am neither abusive, offensive, nor misrepresentative, and I am always on topic. Why did I sign up to comment if you won't let me?

• ego Laie, HI
    July 7, 2011 9:36 p.m.

@hawkyo

The lack of regulation of the derivative market hass been shown to be the single greatest contributor to the financial collapse. The housing bubble compounded the effect in that the deregulated housing loans were allowed to be traded by the greedy in the unregulated divatives market.

Irresponsible bankers loaned to irresponsible individuals. The banks then sold the loans to anyone that was looking for easy money that did not clearly demonstrate the risk of the default. Eventually these wall street geniuses started to believe their own lies and it got away from them.

The hands off policies got away from them and even Greenspan has gotten to the point of stating that he was wrong to "trust the market" completely.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 7, 2011 9:59 p.m.

Hawkyo - your historical view of that the american dream included home ownership started with Clinton is rather near sighted. It had its root 50 years before that, and we had housing bubbles come and go way before there was even the thought of a President Clinton.

Lets be really clear here, the banks were not forced as you say to loan money to unqualified people, and hence the bubble. What caused the bubble is that banks no longer held on to the loans they wrote - rather packaging them up as a tradable equity where they were bought and traded as portfolios of loans. This created risky behavior on both the buyers side because they were going to just flip the properties - make a quick buck - and the banks who saw very little risk because they never say having to hold on to these loans they were writing.

This problem had its genesis many administrations ago... way before 9/11, way before Clinton, way before Reagan, and each step the equity markets have been liberalized at each step. No parties hands are clean.

What is happening though is in the current budget, the republicans want to gut the SEC....

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:04 p.m.

@Grundle:

Glad to see there are still people out there who respect other point-of-views and don't demonize them. I agree we have many shared values. I appreciate your value on life, importance of integrity, and responsibilty for one's actions. There is not one single correct way of doing things, and I hope for this country's sake, there are more people out there that look to build bridges instead of divide and conquer.

@UtahBlueDevil:

Totally agree with you: both parties have plenty of weaknesses to go around, and I think the overall system needs to be pulled away from the lobbyists and special interests and restored to the people--will be hard to do when both parties answer to the money sources and not necessarily the people. Most everything requires a balance: an unregulated free market can be just as disastrous as all-controlling toltarian government. Hope more people break away from the "party" mentality and stand on their own ideas.

@Hawkyo

I know there weren't unions in Israel--pointing out that the Savior didn't come to earth as a rich business owner but as a humble carpenter. I believe government welfare is a safety net--not a crutch.

• essay Redwood Valley, CA
    July 8, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Hmmmmm. I didn't see these videos, but it sure sounds like the DVD "American Mormon" (and it's sequel, "American Mormon in Europe") in which people on the street are asked what they think Mormons believe. I suppose the difference is that "American Mormon" was made by Mormons for Mormons and finds the humor in the misconceptions people have, while these videos are made by non-Mormons for non-Mormons and finds humor in the misconceptions people have.

• David Len Allen SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 8, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Any publicity is good publicity - that's the philosophy of "The Industry".

The original followers of Christ were considered by Romans and Jews to be members of a cult, religious movement based on one man's philosophy that is detached from the societal mainstream. Evangelically speaking, it is interesting that the words "Rapture" and "Trinity" (or three-in-one) are not found in Revelation or Daniel, let alone the Bible as a whole. Their very narrow definition of Christianity is equally apocryphal. Christianity was originally a slur used to defame the believers and followers of the teachings of Christ. Believers have since come to wear the title with honor to share in His suffering. And the common hope of being reunited with loved ones on the "other side" and living in familial relationships (as portrayed in any movie or TV program where death is in the storyline) is contrary to Evangelical teaching, yet is believed by most anyway.

Truth speaks louder than words - even when it is silent.

On a related note - who I really feel sorry for is KSL being strapped with its NBC affiliation and its line-up of network programming, Daniel and Playboy Mansion notwithstanding.

• mustberight MESA, AZ
    July 8, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I lived in a community where constant joking and poking at Mormons was a part of at one social conversation every day. When, after about 5 years in this community, the adult missionaries came to our door, I told my husband, "Lets just listen to them and see if they are as crazy as we hear." Best decision of our lives, we listened, we were baptized and could not have imagined the good life we have all because of the "poking" at Mormons. So keep it up Media there are many out there like me with a curious nature.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    July 8, 2011 9:45 a.m.

"I believe the church's stance is no abortion except in terms of rape, incest, and health of the mother, that isn't hard-line Pro Life."

Okay, so do you support legislation that bans abortion in cases other than rape, incest and health of the mother? That's really the issue here.

As far as the taxes and social welfare issue go, I've never argued that we should disobey the law and refuse to pay taxes. What I am saying is that when we give our input to the policy making process through legitimate means, if agency is so important to us, would that issue not be relevant when it comes to taxes and social welfare programs? If given a choice, would we not want to try and maintain the agency of people who work and earn their own living? And if we follow the logic of your argument, do people not still have the ability to chose to have an abortion when they live under a government that doesn't allow it? The truth of the matter is that it is okay for government encroach on personal sovereignty if it has a legitimate interest in doing so...

• mattmo Gallatin, MO
    July 8, 2011 10:00 a.m.

When Christ was on the cross he said: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." They really do not know what they do. I do believe some do, but the is not mine to judge. For the most part people just don't understand and at this point in their life do not want to understand it's more fun to poke fun and laugh at deep doctrine then to study it out in their own minds and then ask God if it is true. As for being Republican or Democrat, and there are other parties you really don't have to be one or the other just do your homework and choose the best one you think would represent you.

• js113 SPANISH FORK, UT
    July 8, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Dixie Dan

"It will be interesting to see how Utah votes if Michelle Bachman or Sarah Palin are the GOP candidate for President. Both are strong Evangelicals who oppose Mormonism and treat it as a non-Christian cult."

While I understand the sentiment, I dont think you really mean that. If members of the Church allow Michelle Bachmans or Sara Palins religious beliefs dictate how we vote, it will be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. As for myself, I will vote for whoever is most qualified for the presidency based on my beliefs and ideals and not based on the candidates religious affiliation or prejudices. However, if their religious prejudices may lead them to limit our religious freedomthat is another matter.

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 11:27 a.m.

They won't vote for someone who believes that if he's a good person, he'll get his own planet.

But they will vote for someone who believes that good people could spend eternity in a lake of fire, because their beliefs were "wrong."

• morganh Orem, Utah
    July 8, 2011 11:58 a.m.

@Grundle

Well said my friend. I also would like to add this council from LDS Church to its members. The LDS Church is politically neutral and does not endorse one party over another. They have said that you should vote for candidates that support the values you hold as a member of the LDS Church. There are good Democrats out there but as a whole I see the Democratic party moving to the far left on social issues and supporting values that I as a church member cannot support. I for one will be a registered Republican because it more closely aligns with the values I have as a member of the LDS Church.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:03 p.m.

But there is one single correct way to do things, Gods way! And no political party owns Him. Whenever we make any choice we must have asked for his help, Honestly do you fast and pray before you enter the ballot box? Do you research the people who are running and the issues presented? Or do you just rush over after work and vote party line?

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    July 8, 2011 12:23 p.m.

can't you folks take a joke? you have to admit the mormon religion is prime comedy material. loosen up.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    July 8, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Jokes that poke fun at a group of people because of their religion, race, nationality, etc. have long been considered inappropriate and offensive. This is shameful - taking obscure statements out of context and using them as interview questions specifically designed to seem weird.
    What is next, making fun of anyone who believes that a man could raise his arms in the air and part the Red Sea? Or who believes that water could instantly change to wine?
    on the other hand, what about someone who believes that all life evolved from one microscopic cell?

Poking "fun" at someone because of their beliefs (or one's interpretation of their beliefs) is NOT funny. I would not watch a station that employed those tactics.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Re: charlie91342

Why is it when anyone does anything in bad taste, with no tact, encroaching on subjects that others hold sacred and choose not to discuss in public, whether it be about religion, sex, race, etc, they try to justify it by saying "it was a joke. Can't you take a joke?" By saying so doesn't make it right.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    July 8, 2011 1:06 p.m.

How was the talk show host or this Memphis Fox affiliate making fun of Mormons?

The questions Ben was asking are tenets of the LDS church and I taught them on my mission, in gospel doctrine, in gospel essentials, in elders quorum and to my children.

I've since realized how ridiculous those teachings are when I found my brain in my head and chose to think.

I see no "making fun of Mormons" at all and instead see a reporter and a talk show host making known to the world some teachings that are embraced by the LDS church today, both its leadership and body of membership.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 8, 2011 1:19 p.m.

Taking a joke? Matt Stone and Trey Parker can make jokes all they want about Mormonism and anything else and I'm good with that. But I expect a supposedly respected news organization to do better. What next? Should we send out reporters in black face or KKK garb to see how people feel about that?

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    July 8, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Two Points -

1. Some of our LDS beliefs can seem rather silly to outsiders (and even insiders). When taken out of context and stretched to their most absurd conclusions they can seem downright bazare to some. But then the same thing can be done with all kinds of religious beliefs including the evangelicals who routinely make fun of us. Religion is not meant to be a study in logic. There is a reason religion requires a great deal of faith.

2. To Pagan and others - the real question is why would a Mormon (or anyone) be Democrat OR Republican? I can't fathom tying my beliefs into one party or another. I'm shocked that 98% of LDS don't register as Independents. I look at every issue seperately. Some fall left and some fall right. But to say my beliefs are all housed under one political roof is ignorance.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    July 8, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Screwdriver wrote:

"They can do this because unlike other religions and groups we have enough tollerance (sic) to let people say it. I can't think of another religion that would allow this kind of speech without it's own massive counter-punch."

You live in a narrow, sheltered bubble of a world. You need to get out more.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    July 8, 2011 3:27 p.m.

the truth posts: Mormon doctrine does NOT specifically say you will get your own planet,
    ===============================
    May I add, of God the Father, son Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit, who got their OWN planet? ;-) Seems like the three of them have been working this one together.

• WayneDe MONROVIA, CA
    July 8, 2011 4:11 p.m.

Fox "News" claims to be "fair and balanced." The first part of the new clip is "fair and balanced," but the interviews are NOT. I note that Mr. Ferguson is a "commentator" and may claim he has no responsibility to uphold standards of journalism. However, there are implied standards when he holds a FoxNews microphone. His man-on-the-street interviews were purpose designed and edited to be mocking sound-bits and are totally unacceptable as journalism. Practice like these are what give Fox News a deservedly poor reputation in many circles.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2011 8:27 p.m.

Fair and balanced.
    Keep those Fox viewership numbers up, Utah repubs!

• Maverick West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2011 8:33 p.m.

They could have gone with more traditional views on Mormon doctrine which is actually aligned with most Christianity, given the LDS faith has the Holy Bible has part of it's scriptural foundation. Truth is every religion has beliefs that others will find far-fetched, crazy, or untrue.

• Jack Aurora, CO
    July 8, 2011 8:53 p.m.

May I offer another bit of reasoning why one party or another? Choosing a political affiliation isn't like choosing a circle of friends. It isn't because of popularity or lack thereof, it is due to what a person believes is right for the country, or for self-interest, or for a myriad of reasons. Choosing one or the other because somebody in that party likes or dislikes me or my faith is shallow thinking, more in line with today's "pop culture" where the trends change at the top of the hour. Our country is worth far more than that.

• vdubbin' Ogden, UT
    July 8, 2011 10:18 p.m.

You know, Mormons do some strange stuff, and I have fought against them for my entire life. However, in my advanced age (35. I know...), they are winning me over. I think the stuff that others find so strange is part of why Utah is, for the most part, a wonderful place full of people who work for their own gain and raise decent children.

Keep being strange, guys!

• Mel50 Nashville, TN
    July 8, 2011 11:31 p.m.

WayneDe - there is a difference in FOX News and local affiliates of the FOX Network. I watch FOX News but I rarely turn on our local FOX affiliate, because it seems like the majority of their programming is geared toward the lowest common denominator. And the local news there isn't much better.

• Maggie Saint George, UT
    July 9, 2011 1:30 a.m.

The Mormons are right to buck up and ignore rude people. However they are not the only religion to endure teasing and criticism. Catholics have always been given a hard time about confession,turning water to wine,birthcontrol,purgatory.etc.
    Every religion has to endure some form of bullying. It is the best time to exhibit your strength and belief by being calm and non combatitive.
    I will always have an intelligent conversation about my beliefs with someone who is really interested in me and my church,but I will not waste my time on the bullys. A sense of humor about the little things is always good. When I moved to Utah I found that Jello is the state desert,water the state drink ,drinking coffee and tea were major sins,come on folks there are whole websites out there about Mormons hiding Coke,coffee and tea in closets and leaving the state to enjoy said beverages. Now that is funny,and surely you can understand that others see that as funny. Brings back memories about growing up Catholic and trying to explain why we ate fish on Friday,and going to confession if you forgot and ate meat.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    July 10, 2011 5:00 p.m.

To Idaho Coug: I agree with you and I think that as time goes you will find more and more LDS leaving both parties and being more independent. I've been a pure republican for years but as the Republican party starts to become more and more aligned with the Democratic party I've changed to a more independent mind.

The Republican party still holds closer to the ideals of the Church but in some ways so does the Democratic Party. President Faust was a stanch Democrat. Some years ago I heard something that makes one wonder but the Quroum of the Twelve was basically equal between the two parties, and if not someone had to change parties to become such. Now I don't know how true this is as again it is probably a myth but in some ways it makes sense.

I still hold that abortion is wrong except in rape, danger to the mother or incest, but the Church also holds in the cases of Rape and Incest that the child should be allowed to live and then be adopted. Still it holds to those exceptions as agreeable.

• jmort SLO, CA
    July 10, 2011 5:34 p.m.

FOX - By their fruits ye shall know them!

@ Cats - The proper name for one of the two major political parties in the United States is the Democratic Party, not the "Democrat" Party. Please show some respect.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    July 11, 2011 1:14 p.m.

vdubbin' | 10:18 p.m. July 8, 2011
    Ogden, UT,

Our son's leaving for the Ogden Mission in 2 days. We'll have him look you up! ;)

The reason the LDS Church gets poked fun at is that we make bold statements about our beliefs and are not apologetic about them. Christians around the time of Christ experienced the exact same thing.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    July 11, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I believe it was none less than Winston S. Churchill that said, "The truth,never needs a defense." Yet, somehow, someone at Deseret News, pays people to do just that. OK, but what really does that accomplish other than giving those who mock, ridicule and scorn more viability?
    Better to let our actions speak volumes, than our words. Which as we know have often here in Utah been parsed for political expediency.