Utah Ute fans usher in new era during Utah Pac-12 Day

Comments

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 1, 2011 1:28 p.m.

likely a big day for the beer companies and liquor stores as well.....

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    July 1, 2011 1:33 p.m.

"It's a great day to be Ute," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill.

Correction: everyday is a great day to be Ute.

Go Utes.
    Take us to the Rose Bowl.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    July 1, 2011 1:34 p.m.

"Utah, simply put, is a great fit for this conference," Scott said.

Correction: Utah, simply put, is a great fit for Pac-12, Big-12, or SEC.

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:03 p.m.

@plyxply

Well it is a Friday.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 1, 2011 2:15 p.m.

SoCalUtah,

"Correction: Utah, simply put, is a great fit for Pac-12, Big-12, or SEC."

No question.

If for some reason the PAC12 didn't take the Utes the BIG12 would have snapped them up....a multiple BCS winner is always in demand.

A BCS winning Boise St. will be in the PAC12 before bYu.

• Ute_4_Life Springville, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:27 p.m.

plyxply,

Way to show your bigotry. I was there, and no there were no drunks, alcohol, or anything of the sort.

It was a good presentation, very respectful and dignified. Thank you to all the other U fans who made it today.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:35 p.m.

@hedgehog:

LOL! The Pac-12 will NEVER take a religious school that refuses to unleash its faculty to become a research university, but I highly doubt they will ever take a glorified 4 year community college like Boise State.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:50 p.m.

As I left the ceremony today I looked in the rear view mirror to see the Y. In the mirror was the phrase, Caution objects maybe closer than they appear. To this I said, "I hope that is true" because at that moment the Y couldn't have looked farther away. I quickly returned my attention to what lies ahead.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:51 p.m.

plyxply,

The celebration was held on state property. No alcohol is allowed on state property including the University of Utah campus. But I did enjoy my caffiene free diet coke, afterall it was hot. Great day for Utah and the entire state.

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:52 p.m.

I would feel real silly if I went to this thing. It just feels....childish. Like a big elemetary graduation parade. Really weird. But whatever makes you feel good. Or silly.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 2:57 p.m.

So the "New Era" was ushered in by "A student tent party handed out ice-cream sandwiches to those who arrived early." That really sounds like a dignified party! Man, I should have taken time off!

In all seriousness, there are budget problems nationwide that limit anyone's ability to put together a real celebration.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    July 1, 2011 3:11 p.m.

@Who am I sir?

A hometown Midvale friend wrote me something like this...As I was driving north on I-15 to go to the Pac-12 celebration, I looked in the rear view mirrow to see what would be south of me. And I saw....dust. Thich dust. I were too far ahead of the team down south.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Re: Who am I sir?

Well said! Thanks for sharing such truth. Now lets turn our attention and focus on who is in our neighborhood. 11 ELITE PAC12 schools.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 3:23 p.m.

@SoCalUtahFan-

Not ahead in grammar and spelling- that was unintelligible.

• Mid-Major Cougars San Diego, CA
    July 1, 2011 3:25 p.m.

It's so cruel for big brother not caring about the little ones anymore....:)

• BaneOfHedgehog Bothell, WA
    July 1, 2011 3:25 p.m.

The Cougars will play in the Rose Bowl (or any other BCS bowl game) decades before the uTes will. Buy a ticket - that's the closest you'll get to the field.

• BWhineU Not San Diego, CA
    July 1, 2011 3:40 p.m.

@BaneOfHedgehog
    ...The Cougars will play in the Rose Bowl (or any other BCS bowl game) decades before the uTes will....

...to dream an impossible dream.

• Calfan WALNUT CREEK, CA
    July 1, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Welcome to the Pac-12 Utes! You'll like your new neighborhood. You won't even mind (much) the beatdown you get to take home, after a nice crab dinner by the Bay. See you in San Fran. Go Bears!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 1, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Wow. I came on here to congratulate Utah and wish you good luck, but you boys sure don't make it easy sometimes with your silly anti-BYU fixations.

That being said, having lived in Salt Lake, I know that you boys do not represent the whole. So, Congratulations Utes and good luck in the PAC. Represent yourselves and the state well. I look forward to many Utah victories. Go Utes!

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:03 p.m.

This Cougar stands with fresnogirl in wishing my Ute friends much success in their new conference. Go Utes! Show them how we play football in Utah!!

• There's always room for Jello Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:06 p.m.

Good luck Utes! I may wear Cougar blue, but I'll be cheering on my brothers in red.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    July 1, 2011 4:09 p.m.

I'm looking forward to Kyle and his boys taking on the PAC. Go get 'em Utes. I'll cheer you on every game but one. Go Cougars!

• Captain Caveman Provo, Utah
    July 1, 2011 4:16 p.m.

I read Calfan's comment and thought, "He's going to sure be disappointed ... a lot." He'll learn not to underestimate Coach Whit soon enough.

Good luck Utah. I'm going to miss being in the same conference with you. You guys made it fun. Now go make Calfan cry.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:19 p.m.

I despise that some of my fellow Utes have to try to make this move to the Pac-12 a "we are leaving BYU behind" celebration. First, BYU will be just fine - they are better off following their own path, and will likely continue on the successful path they have been on for decades. Second, is it that hard to just be happy for our own team that we have to find in our success someone else's lack thereof? This seems childish and weak. The move to the Pac-12 is enough to celebrate on its own. It really begs the question -- Are you really Utah fans or are you just simply anti BYU posing as Utah fans?

It is a great day for sports in the state of Utah. BYU fans and Utah fans (together) should be sharing a root beer and toasting the bright future that lies ahead.

• Jute19 Poop, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:21 p.m.

I love all of the cougars on this board. Aren't you celebrating something today too? Oh that's right, no one cares.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 1, 2011 4:28 p.m.

UU32

If I were in Bountiful, I would buy you a rootbeer. As always, you are a class act. Good luck to your Utes!

• Target Provo, Utah
    July 1, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Speaking of crying... what do you all suppose Craig "Hair" Thompson is doing right now?

Go Cougars! Go Utes!

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:30 p.m.

@Calfan | 3:43 p.m. July 1, 2011
    WALNUT CREEK, CA

Remind me again who won that last meeting between the Cal Bears and the Utes. That's what I thought. Go Utes!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Bane,

WOW! That was sure bold of you. Seeing how the bYu team has yet to be to a BCS bowl game, or even close to being undefeated in the BCS era, I would love to know how you came to that most awesome conclusion. Was it the fact that bYu has more bowl wins than Utah the past decade? Oh wait, they dont. Or the fact that they have been undefeated anytime the last 26 years? Nope, sorry. Wrong again. Wait, maybe it was the fact that bYu has the All American QB Jake Heaps. Ouch! He was only .500 as the starting qb. The UTES have been there and done that. Also, the Utes can actually lose a game or 2 and still make it to the Rose Bowl, where as the Y has to have an undefeated season to make it to any BCS game. Seeing as how that has only happened once in the modern era, against a very terrible schedule, I just dont see that happening playing Utah, Texas, Ol Miss, and Utah St. Like BWhine said, to dream an impossible dream. It must be nice to live in la la land. Go Utes!

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Jute19,

Wow. The Cougars show class and you show.... Nice way to represent.

Thank you to my Cougar brothers (and sisters) for your classy comments. I too am sad that we won't be vying for Conference championships now. Those late November games were epic and I'm really going to miss them. Congratulations, Pioneer Cougars and good luck in your future as well.

Go Utes! Go Cougars!

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:37 p.m.

As an excited Ute fan, I appreciate the BYU fans who have respectfully wished us well in the PAC 12... thank you for not taking childish shots, and I wish the Cougars well in their new independence, which was the right choice for them. It's a great time to be a college football fan in Utah, for either team!

• Target Provo, Utah
    July 1, 2011 4:39 p.m.

I'm happy for both of our schools, but Man I am going to miss those intense, November rivalry games with you. Nothin' quite like 2 brothers scrappin' it out in the backyard to show whose the boss. So many times it just came down to the last moments. Those are some great memories.

Good luck Utah. I'm going to enjoy watching you take those PAC schools behind the woodshed.

Go Cougs and Utes! (Goodbye mtn).

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:46 p.m.

What a fun weekend this is in Utah. I can't wait for football to start. Congrats to the Utes. It'll be fun having this Calfan kid eat his words. Good luck in the PAC.

Go Cougs and Utes! We may be playing different teams now, but we'll always be brothers.

• pabellon Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Hey Everybody! We get to see our teams play on TV now. Woo Hoo! It's a great time in Utah whether you wear red or blue. Good luck Utes!

Gooo Cougars!

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    July 1, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Target

Well said... err... typed.

I'm with you. I sure am going to miss those intense, emotional, memorable, exciting last minute victories of the November rivalry games. Playing in September just isn't the same. And, even though we are no longer in the same Conference, I'll still be cheering for my Ute brothers in every game but one.

Dominate the PAC, Utes!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    July 1, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Great day to be a Ute.

For those BYU fans claiming classy comments, may I remind you of the first comment on this board.

I would like to thank those BYU fans who have been complementary of the Utes move to the PAC-12, and echo 32's comment to Utah fans to take the focus off of BYU and just enjoy the day being a Ute.

• Jack Winters Provo, Utah
    July 1, 2011 5:13 p.m.

Congratulations to my Ute brothers! We're happy for you here in Provo too!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 1, 2011 5:32 p.m.

The jealousy of so many commenters is really hysterical. Don't they know they are doing this to themselves? The article didnt put down any school yet some can't stand what is happening today.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2011 5:44 p.m.

To: DameofHedgehog

Actually your statement is incorrect. We will be playing in the Rose Bowl every other year and probaly twice some years.

Way to go Utes! Red is in style as it is every year.

On my way to purchase my Pac 12 golf shirt, tie, hat, t-shirt. Probably wear the tie to church.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 1, 2011 6:07 p.m.

I enjoyed attending the celebration at the Capitol today. There was 7,000+ dedicated Utes fans there to show support. It was inspiring to see all of that red.

After the celebration, I decided to stick around for the BYU to the WCC celebration -- to show that I'm a good sport. But to my surprise, nothing happened. Hmmm, go figure.

I guess this shows what I've long suspected -- most Utahans have become dedicated Ute fans! BYU will keep Provo but that's about it.

• nomad1 American Fork, UT
    July 1, 2011 6:14 p.m.

Congratulations to the University of Utah and the state for its progress both academically and athletically. It's an exciting time to be a Ute! Win, lose or draw, the path forward will be challenging and rewarding.

GO UTES!!!

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 6:49 p.m.

Razzle2 and pocyUte,

I don't know what boards you two are reading, but by my count there are only 3 BYU troll comments compared to 13 very classy comments from Cougars wishing us the best.

Spitting on someone who is congratulating you and wishing you well, does not reflect well on you. Grow up.

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 7:53 p.m.

My favorite football team is the AFC, but since they are locked out I gotta follow my baseball team, the American league East. LOL

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    July 1, 2011 9:00 p.m.

I'm hoping that this is the beginning of being able to cheer for the cougars again. I used to cheer for them, except when they played Utah. Then the fans just ruined it via the internet and sports radio. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure plenty of Utah fans have ruined it for BYU fans as well.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    July 1, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Should be great!

Go Utes!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    July 1, 2011 9:53 p.m.

"Correction: Utah, simply put, is a great fit for Pac-12, Big-12, or SEC."

LOL... LOL... The utes were the very last choice to fill the PAC 11.25, don't kid yourself that the utes would fit into the Big 12, SEC, etc... LOL

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    July 1, 2011 11:49 p.m.

Cougar fan here wishing Utah the best of luck in the Pac 12. You guys are going to do awesome! Go and make Utah proud and know that you'll have lots of people cheering for you. See you guys in September!!!

• One Nil to the Arsenal! Gilbert, AZ
    July 2, 2011 5:39 a.m.

@Fresnogirl

It is so both ways you have no idea.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 2, 2011 6:04 a.m.

Wow! It is a long time coming for the state of Utah to have a school reach the true big time. Utah is the #78 ranked school in the world and joins some of the finest learning institutions on this planet. SLC will have a new buzz about the city.......FUN FUN FUN! As for YBU........well, the facts have surely hurt their opportunities, as we've all witnessed. Not one invite to a great conference. I know of no greater insult than to be ignored. Hopefully that school will strive to be a world class learning institution some day. I wish them luck nonetheless. GO UTES!!!!!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!

• hohum Saint George, UT
    July 2, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Why are HH etc mentioning BYU, I thought this was a u article. Some cannot stop thinking about their inferiority to the Y in all sports, Aggies b ball, won't play in football or basketball. come on pac man keep comments to the u.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    July 2, 2011 7:43 a.m.

You know what, I came back to this site after posting last night hopefully to find people with class and dignity, saw most of the posts that Utah fans wrote (not all of them are like this, but a good chunk and I realize it's not representative of how all Utah fans are), and then I came to the conclusion that when it comes to Utah fans I set my expectations way too high. mgr63 calls you a "world class" school but I just call you a "world" school because there sure isn't any class about you guys.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    July 2, 2011 7:47 a.m.

@plyxply you should really find out what took place there was NO alcohol or beer sales. it was a very dignified and respectful event . next time get your facts right before commenting about something that took place when you weren't even there. would you of said the same thing if it was a BYU gathering ?

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 2, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Congrats to utes on joining the pac12. I think Utah is going to get a huge wake up call on September 10th when they visit USC. Count that as a loss.

That means Utah will be going into the holy war with a 1-1 record.

BYU will beat Utah this year. And it won't be close. Pac12 will be humiliated, because they got the 2nd best football team in the state of Utah.

BYU beats Utah 45-10 on September 17th.

Go Cougars.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    July 2, 2011 8:23 a.m.

@gizmo33

Who cares what plyxply says. We know that you guys don't get drunk. . . all the time. He's just messing with you, get over it. Buy you'd have to admit, I'm sure the bars filled up quite well afterwards:)

• UBOUND SAN BERNARDINO, CA
    July 2, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Even though the red and the blue are going different way's, they will be fine. The ultimate dream here is having both schools get to a BCS bowl--- the same one at the same time! WOW!! Just think about the bragging rights then. But alas-- it is only a dream. (but what a dream)

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 2, 2011 9:32 a.m.

I do realize that we have our trolls as well. Anonymity reveals a lot about people's true characters. I know that the trolls do not represent the majority of BYU or Utah's students or alums. Simply put, rude people are always the loudest and usually the first to comment. But we are all responsible for our own actions. We cannot control how others treat us, but we can ALWAYS choose how we react.

Good luck to you and your school.

• J.Newey Cedar Hills, UT
    July 2, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Congrats Utes! From a Cougar fan I wish you luck and success in the future! Please be better than Arizona and go to at least 1 Rose Bowl! The Y will be in the Big 12 within 3 years which will be exciting for college football fans in the state!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 2, 2011 9:53 a.m.

@BlueCoug89. Sir, YBU caters to their clientele that "choose' to attend such an institution perfectly well. That is fine in my book, as YBU is a private school. However, the curriculum and graduation requirements there are not in the mainstream of higher learning institutions in any way, shape or form. Hence, no invite to a conference like the PAC-12 or the likes. I think that you should be satisfied with whatever you people get to experience and what your future is? Maybe, if YBU ever offers a broader curriculum of critical thinking at some point, maybe a great conference would "maybe" return an inquiry made by that school. As it stands today, that isn't the case......based on the facts. The WCC is a perfect fit and I'm quite positive that YBU will never see a BSC bowl in my lifetime.......they just can't compete against teams in football anymore........no speed and they cannot recruit the "talent" that will enable them. Good luck YBU?????

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    July 2, 2011 10:15 a.m.

The great part about this Pac 12 admission is that it is going to give commentors like myself alot of fodder for future sports comments when the "2" major programs basketball & football find their sledding real rough in the future years of cellar dwelling! Just remember fans you are getting what you have ask for, so don't complain when things don't work out so good for you. Given financially you will be fine, but competively--not so good.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 2, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Hey fans of the other team, for years I heard over and over again that the Utes would never get selected by the PAC -- that they didn't have the tradition or the abilities, etc...blah blah blah. You've said a lot of mean things about the Utes for years. Well, the Utes are in the PAC and WILL compete.

The point here, it's time for an apology. It's time for you to praise the Utes' accomplishments and apologize for ever doubting and for ever saying anything negative. It's time to be a big fan base -- just as we are -- like when Ute fans were supportive of Jimmer, for example.

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2011 11:47 a.m.

I Still Can't Say It

I'm sure the BYU fans will flock to apologize to you, Hedgehog. Uh ... I mean "I Still Can't Say It." Believe me, son, most of us Utes wish would really couldn't say all the mean-spirited garbage you spew. If you want to be that way, that's your choice, but I sincerely hope that everyone reading these boards realize that you and your ilk do not reflect the opinions of most fans from either side.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 2, 2011 1:09 p.m.

"Utah, simply put, is a great fit for this conference," Scott said.

Utah is a great fit after Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M all say NO!

Scott should have been honest and said "Utah was a great back-up plan for the PAC12."

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 2, 2011 1:22 p.m.

@who am I sir

Then you saw in front of your windshield a national championship trophy, dangling from BYU's fishing pole. And U kept driving as fast as U could, but realized U will never be able to catch BYU's national championship trophy. Only one of these resides in the state of Utah, and it isn't anywhere near SLC or Salt Lake County for that matter.

It sits at Legacy Hall on BYU's campus in Provo.

Utah: never had a football national championship, but joining the "conference of champions".

Another reason the BCS doesn't make sense.

Enjoy the tough/losing schedule little brother.

We will be winning on ESPN. Not just teams from the Pac12, but Texas and Ole Miss too. SEC and Big12 teams.

Go Cougars!

• Rueben L Folsom, CA
    July 2, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Here's the deal. This is a GREAT opportunity and move for the Univ. of Utah all the way around. You are officially affiliated with and a member of the "Conference of Champions"--the collegiate athletic conference that has produced more National Championships, in all sports combined, than any other conference. Double that of any other conference actually. It helps finances, enrollment, booster support, national publicity, recruiting, academic reputation, etc. Yes they are jumping into the deep end of the pool and it will be very challenging. There are only a few sports that will be immediately competitive (football and gymnastics come to mind). Others will need to grow and develop. And now they will have the resources to do so.

BYU's best scenario would have been to be invited along with Utah. That didn't happen, for a number of reasons. They are one of the few schools that has the ability to try going independent in football. The WCC conference in the rest of the sports? Well...nice little private schools and all, but it is not comparable to the PAC 12.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 2, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Simply put, the pac10 grabbed the only MWC school in the state of Utah willing to play on Sunday's. BYU won't do it, and so they are going to be playing basketball in a Faith based conference (WCC).

I'm wondering if the NFL season doesn't happen, the pac12 is talking about moving games to Sunday this fall. Will the utes play a home football game on Sunday? An away game?

LDS recruits may be leaving Utah just for this reason.

Go Cougars!

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 2, 2011 5:09 p.m.

In 2008-2009, BYU and Utah shared the BCS money from the Fiesta and Sugar bowls. Each team got about $1 Million in MWC.

BYU Independent > MWC non-AQ access

Utes won't make it to a BCS bowl again as long as USC is in their division.

Go Cougars!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 2, 2011 9:14 p.m.

Cougar_Independence said:

LDS recruits may be leaving Utah just for this reason.

LDS recruits can be sure that if they choose BYU, they will never play or practice on Sunday's. The U can't make that same promise. "

Uhh Ok.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 2, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Cougar_Independence said:

"One thing forgotten about BYu's independence is the BCS bowl money. BYU has always had to share bowl revenue money with conference partners. Now, BYU keeps all that money.

BYU Independent > MWC non-AQ access

Utes won't make it to a BCS bowl again as long as USC is in their division. "

Nope. BYU would be an at large BCS player. Last year the at large payout was 6 million.
    As of June 17th, the BCS payouts for the upcoming season have not been officially determined. Keep dreaming.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 2, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Cougar_Independence said:

""Utah, simply put, is a great fit for this conference," Scott said.

Scott didn't mention anything about how Utah is not scheduled to have any home games on national TV this year? "Welcome Utah! We will treat you like a non-AQ still! Enjoy playing USC on Versus!""

Yet they chose Utah over BYU.
    What is BYU's back up plan? 40 years of a paper legacy has resulted in no official invites from ANY conference. Period!

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 2, 2011 9:54 p.m.

BYU will practically have to go undefeated to get an at large BCS invite. Because they would be up against the 2nd best team from all the AQ Conferences if good enough for an invite. Perhaps the only exception for me would be the Big East. Weak, even with TCU now.
    Anyway, I don't see BYU getting an invite over schools like LSU, OK, TX, Alabama and such.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    July 2, 2011 10:24 p.m.

I know I posted already but I just wanted to clear things up. I don't really believe that Utah fans are non-classy. I know that the few who post things that aren't so, well, kind don't represent everyone, I just said that because I was frustrated at some of the comments made. Second of all, what I said about the bars maybe wasn't the best thing to say. That's all, good luck Utes. Darn conscience!

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    July 2, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Welcome, Utah to the "Conference of Champions".....Err Conference of Cheaters! The most high profile team in the PAC is on trouble and number two appears to be on the way shortly. Just stay clean and pretty soon you will be in the Rose Bowl by default.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 2, 2011 11:57 p.m.

I sure don't know where some of you people get your information, but BYU has never been to a BCS bowl. Utah has been to two and won them both. Utah had to give money away to the MWC. And yes, if BYU is ever considered for a BCS bowl bid they'll have to go undefeated due to their weak schedules. It will never happen in my lifetime I'm quite positive.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 3, 2011 8:00 a.m.

@NightOwlAmerica

"Scott should have been honest and said Utah was a great back-up plan for the PAC12."

• UBOUND SAN BERNARDINO, CA
    July 3, 2011 9:41 a.m.

@BYU still rules- Your comment "Conference of Cheaters",was un-called for. My comment is simple. Clean up your own house before you start talking about someone else's!!!

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    July 3, 2011 10:32 a.m.

UBOUND, I didn't even read your comment so don't take mine personal. Also, when was the last time BYU football was guilty of NCAA infractions? Just pointing out the current sorry state of the PAC 12, not even dissing the Utes.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 3, 2011 7:34 p.m.

@BYU still rules

It's the post partum blues settling in for some of these Ute fans. Now that the celebration is over the reality sinks in. Utes have to win some games and show that they belong and at the same time distance themselves from the controversy of the NCAA problems of USC and now Oregon. Being in the "Conference of Cheaters" brings the unwelcomed association.

I certainly hope that the Ute program is clean as a whistle. The heat is on in the Pac 10.2 and it would be a huge embarassment to the state of Utah to have some NCAA infractions found at the U if a witch hunt starts in the Pac 10.2.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 4, 2011 6:40 a.m.

@I still can't say it

"We could go in circles about who was the first choice....but it doesn't really matter now does it.

I'm just pleased Utah was in Scott's plans. The other team wasn't even considered."

1) If U are ok with being the backup plan, I'm fine with it too. BYU may have gone it's own way, but we have enough clout to sign an exclusive deal with ESPN to broadcast our home games. Utah wishes they had that.
    2) The only MWC team in the state of Utah who would play on Sundas was in Scott's plan. That would be Utah.

As a note, the Sunday play rule is an LDS teaching and a principal valued at BYU. No BYU sports TEAMS play on Sunday's. Individual players make their own choices. After BYU, some choose to play in the NFL or NBA, which requires Sunday play. There have been some who chose not to go to the NFL. I know of 1 for sure by the name of Eli Herring. He was projected as a first round lineman pick in the NFL draft, and he turned it down. Didn't want to play on Sunday's.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 4, 2011 6:46 a.m.

@Rueben L

"BYU's best scenario would have been to be invited along with Utah. That didn't happen, for a number of reasons."

2 reasons only: 1) BYU is a faith based, private institution. It's no secret that the pac12 is full of liberal, public/private schools that want nothing to do with a private, Christian university.
    2) BYU won't play on Sunday's. Utah will.

If you honestly think there are any other reasons besides this, you are kidding yourself. BYU's dominance in the MWC was so far beyond Utah's (140 total conference championships to Utah's 49). Even football conference championships, BYU has 2 under Bronco, Kyle has 1.

Congrats to the utes. It will be interesting to see if they play a single game on sunday this coming school year. If they do, I will be smiling, and everyone at BYU will know exactly why BYU will never join the Pac12. Thank you to BYU for holding it's standards.

Go Cougars!

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 4, 2011 6:52 a.m.

@knight owl

"So what should an LDS BYU player that's get's drafted by an NFL team say now ? Sorry I don't play on Sundays. Yeah that is sure going to fly alright. Same goes for basketball and baseball."

Search Wikipedia for "Eli Herring".

He is a BYU lineman back in the 90's who was so good and projected to be a 1st round pick in the NFL draft. However, he didn't enter the draft because he didn't want to play on Sunday's. He was actually still drafted by the Raiders, but never took the money or the deal to play in the NFL. He is currently an LDS seminary teacher in Utah.

After BYU, players make their own choices. Some choose to play on Sunday's, like Austin Collie or Dennis Pitta. However, there are some, like Eli, who won't do it. Again, after BYU, it's a personal choice.

If an LDS athlete were to go to Utah, Utah wouldn't be able to guarantee they wouldn't play on Sunday's. However, and LDS athlete never has to worry about that at BYU. They know they will never practice or play on Sunday's.

Go Cougars!

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 4, 2011 7:24 a.m.

@knight owl

"Yet they chose Utah over BYU."

Please see my previous post on sunday play.

Utah will play on Sunday's: in
    BYU will not play on Sunday's: out

Go Cougars!

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Cougar_Independence

Your posts keeps saying the same things over and over. First off, you are pounding this idea that the reason the U was picked for the Pac 12 was because they would play on Sunday. Okay, if that makes you feel better about not being invited. When the scheduling of a Sunday game comes in to play, Utah will likely not be considered to be put into the Sunday spot. Why? Because next to BYU, Utah has the most LDS students/alums/faculty. The people scheduling look at one thing, the number of people that the game will attract. Subsequently, Utah will be scheduled for a Saturday. Simple isn't it? Who knew you could just schedule a game on Saturday. *(This is the same reason I think BYU going to the BIG 12 and Sunday play is not a big issue)

Myth: The Pac 12 hates Mormons and religious schools.
    Refute: The U has a lot of Mormons, thousands in fact.

(cont.)

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2011 11:40 p.m.

(cont.)

"If BYU makes it to a BCS bowl anytime as an independent, BYU keeps all $15 Million. Utah doesn't even have this luxury as a member of the pac10.2 (sic)"

This 'point' lacks any acknowledgment of reality. Yes, BYU will keep all the BCS bowl money, pending they get there first (yet to be done). What you don't realize is that that the Utes will earn twice that amount just for belonging. Oh but they don't get the full money this year. True, but the percentage we will get this year is still exponentially more than we would with the MWC. Come four years from now the revenue will be at levels never seen before in the state of Utah. Plus when Utah makes a BCS bowl, those monies will just be stacked on top of television/ticket revenue.

If BYU gets an invite from the BIG 12, and that will be a big if, I am excited to see the use of BIG 12.2/BIG 12.0.1beta/BIG 12-2+2.

(cont.)

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2011 11:42 p.m.

(cont.)

Lastly, I find it hilarious that BYU fans pull the "Utah won't be on TV" or "have fun playing on Vs" card. Truth is, is every game this season will be on television. Given the infringement on the current Pac 10 TV deal, I think it's awesome we are still able to get some games televised. Now that the new TV contract is in place, in a couple years every game will on national TV. During a successful season, the Utes could see ESPN more than BYU. BYU fans shouldn't pound their chest about the ESPN deal. The deal was signed not due to your rich history, but due to the number of people BYU is associated with. That association? The LDS church. The LDS church is a nationwide demographic, therefore it is a viable decision for ESPN.