List of high school sports Utah seniors earning athletic scholarships

Comments

• altahoops Provo, UT
    June 27, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Thanks for publishing this list. Very informative.

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 27, 2011 5:37 p.m.

Sorry, didn't read far enough. My bad.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Congratulations to all those students, in Region 9, who earned athletic schloarships!

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    June 28, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Well girls lost overall scholarship battle but owned the boys in DI numbers- 57 to 83- congrats to all

• altahoops Provo, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:01 p.m.

Wow! on girl's soccer DI scholarships. I guess the moral of the story is have your girls play soccer. The odds of getting a DI scholarship are much higher than if they play basketball or softball or volleyball.

On second thought, I think I'd rather just pay for her college education than have to sit through 4 years of soccer games and then 4 more years at the college level. "Hey, here comes the ball this way. Oops! Nope. Going back the other way. Hmmm back this way. Ugh. The other way. Why did she pass it right to the opposing player? Here it comes again. There it goes. Man, wasn't that a great match? Our team creamed them 1 - 0. An hour and a half of back and forth and 10 seconds of sheer excitement!"

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:31 p.m.

altahoops | 2:01 p.m. June 28, 2011
    Provo, UT
    Then don't watch soccer!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 3:32 p.m.

altahoops, I agree with you....and laughed at your comment, it's worth the money not to have to suffer through that many soccer games, not to mention the racket of playing club soccer and paying the mini-coaches who charge parents to have their kids play. Frankly the amount of money these youth and club coaches charge parents is likely more than you'll pay for your child to go to college in the first place.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    June 28, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Nice job kids. As a Bingham family, we love seeing so many kids continuing their education through sports.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    June 28, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Need a Title X to help even out the % of boys who get scholarships compared to girls..

• eagle Provo, UT
    June 28, 2011 8:12 p.m.

Perhaps Utah's best sport is wrestling but thanks to Title IX wrestling programs across the nation and in Utah have been gutted. With only one school inside the state with a program, this has been devastating. Some of our most elite do go to schools like Iowa, Boise State, Penn State, Purdue and Northwestern but it would be great if more opportunities existe here at home for these athletes and also across the nation.

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    June 28, 2011 8:50 p.m.

Thanks for the excellent work in publishing the stats. While not wanting to dash any young person's dreams I would hope that more high school players and their parents would step back and take a realistic look at how difficult it is to be a Divison I athlete. There is so much hype about D-I. The percentage of those who play D-I is very low. Most of the dedicated coaches in the high school ranks are desperately trying to have a program for all of the kids, not just those who may or may not be able to play beyond the high school level. What amazes me is how many kids and their parents take the bate hook, line, and sinker as soon as any college expresses any interest at all. They immediately think that they have a real chance at being a D-I player and in reality most have no clue about the process. I just wish that more kids would relax and enjoy their high school experience because that is all that the vast majority are ever going to have. It's ok not to get an athletic scholarship. You can still be successful.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    June 29, 2011 7:51 a.m.

remember this name, Harrison Handley, he will be the next top D1 recruit from Utah. He's a 6'5 200 lb wr from Alta that will be an impact player and BYU and Utah would be smart to grab him even though he's just going into his junior season.

• tcsoccer layton, utah
    June 29, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Well I am a big soccer fan and glad to see so many soccer players going on to college from this state. Alta hoops do you really have nothing better to do then come on here and put down the world's number one sport? The truth is that girls can excel in soccer and in fact it is a sport they can play the rest of the their life. In a society where most kids sit on their computer all day I for one don't mind sitting through a few boring games every once in while when the reward will be a son or daughter that can have something they enjoy doing and are good out for years to come. Congrats to all. And for those that did not go join a good adult league in your sport and enjoy playing it for as long as you can.

• Adam Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 12:22 p.m.

From what I read Alta, Bingham, Riverton, and Taylorsville have a combined two baseball players receiving scholarships. There's no way that can be right. These schools either didn't report their scholarship kids or the coaches don't promote their kids after high school. Someone please enlighten me on this, because this would be just mind blowing. Bingham was the 5A state champ with one scholarship kid?

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 1:39 p.m.

tcsoccer....world's number one sport??? Here in the USA, it is not where near the top. In fact, the kids who play soccer are the kids who were cut from football, baseball, basketball, tennis, swimming, track, golf, ping pong, pool, croquet, lawn darts and badminton. I am not anti-soccer. In fact, I think it is an extremely important activity. (Not really a sport). If it gets Junior off the couch and away from the X-Box, I am 100% behind it.

• Bench Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Adam- There is not than much D1 baseball talent in Utah to begin with. Some of the super league dads that are coaching some 11U team dream of their son playing for ASU or BYU, but in reality there are not that many that go on and play. Your comment on Bingham is valid. They were likely one of the better teams in the country, but they had 3 excellent pitchers. One is going to BYU, one is going to Utah, but I think he is a Junior. The other is Cantwell, who I am sure had some offers, but from what I hear wanted to play football. The rest of the team was solid top to bottom, but just that. Great Utah HS baseball players, not college level. If you went back and looked those schools you mentioned likely have 1 or 2 a year at the most that go on to play D1. There was a team from Jordan a few years ago that had 3, which is NOT typical in Utah.

• Draperite Draper, UT
    June 29, 2011 9:52 p.m.

HS Fan= I hope you are joking about soccer kids cut from other sports. Many soccer players play football,basketball, and other sports. Their conditioning far out weighs those in other sports. When you are running several miles in practice and during games, you know how fit they are. Why would you say this is not a sport? Perhaps you should research which sport in the USA is growing in participation. There are people in Utah at ages over 60 still playing in the adult leagues. Is this happening in football or other sports you mentioned.

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Sorry Draperite.....been hearing that same song for decades about how it is growing in USA, but only the Soccer people care about soccer. Kind of like your own little cult. I love the way soccer people use the word 'convert' when they talk about how people are converted to their 'sport'.

Great activity. Not a sport. Bike riding is great for conditioning, so is hiking, climbing and many other activities. Still not sports.

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Hey thepinkjersey. Nice try. So because some soccer game was on ESPN3, which is online only, you claim Soccer is all over ESPN. LOL. Is the other game you mentioned on ESPN8 the ocho? How was that online game with all the rebufferin? Did it end up 0-0?

• tcsoccer layton, utah
    July 1, 2011 8:41 a.m.

I cant make you like soccer and I will not try. However you can't make me not like soccer. I do want to make sure you understand one thing though. Soccer is not for second tier atheletes. I have a son that played comp baseball, basketball, and soccer. The football coaches were begging him to come play football. My son has a whole comp soccer team full of players that would excel at any sport they chose. My son chose soccer becuase he loves it. Is that ok with you? Soccer is not a threat to you or your way of living. Football, Basketball, and Baseball will not go away because soccer gets more and more popular. For those that live in Utah and love our High School Atheletes you can take a lot of pride in how many great boy and girls soccer players this state is producing. The next big step will be when we go and watch Real Salt Lake and some of those players were raised right here in Utah. And by the way I love watching football, basketball, and many other sports as well. Is that ok HSFAN?

• thepinkjersey SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 1, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Stupid Soccer fans I hope you enjoy ESPN this weekend with only 5 MLS games and 6 World Cup games. But some are on ESPN2 (I think you can only get that station on your computer or something). As for the rest of us we are going to be too busy watching the great NFL and NBA seasons coming up!

• ThePony TOOELE, UT
    July 1, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Isn't ESPN 2 in Spanish? Good try Pinkjersey

• ThePony TOOELE, UT
    July 1, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Soccer is the fastest growing "activity" in America with more and more high schools choosing to play. A common myth is that MLS is considered less popular by the general public, however it is America's fastest growing sport and currently is viewed by more people per annum than MLB and NBA. Only the NFL is viewed by more people today.

But it is not really growing, right?

• ThePony TOOELE, UT
    July 1, 2011 11:33 a.m.

Proof it is growing? Drive by 9000 South.

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    July 1, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Soccer, as a sport for girls/women, is the best sport there is---attracting the top female athletes. As a sport for boys in the country, it ranks far below football and basketball, and slightly below baseball in attracting the good athletes in the spring. But it may overtake baseball soon.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 1, 2011 1:36 p.m.

world cup soccer is ok and even fun to occasionally watch, especially if you are in another country where the passion is contagious, but for most of the kids and people that play in the US it is a "participation" sport where everyone gets to play and be involved in something where they won't get hurt. The top male athletes all play football, basketball, or baseball, and those who can't or don't want to deal with the top level competition choose soccer. Sure there are great athletes who play soccer but whereas nearly every football, baseball, or basketball player could excel at soccer, very few soccer players could do well at another sport.

• ThePony TOOELE, UT
    July 1, 2011 6:55 p.m.

plyxply that sounds like something Americans say to make themselves feel better about themselves for getting beat at soccer.

• ThePony TOOELE, UT
    July 1, 2011 6:58 p.m.

And in Utah football is the participation sport with three times as many athletes being cut from their high school's team in soccer then football

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 7:36 p.m.

Thanks plyxply. According to tcsoccer, soccer is NOT for second tier athletes. You better watch out or you will get called out. LOL :O

If you come on here and rip a real sport, no one would care. There are shots at baseball and basketball and some at football. Guess what... no one cares. Only soccer fanatics get all worked up when you point out the obvious.

tcsoccer and thepinkjersey: keep playing soccer, keep running around making sure you do not touch the ball with your hands, keep eating orange slices, drinking capri-sun and especially keep practicing flopping and faking injuries and the rest of us will focus on sports people care about. Funny, I have some fanatic hockey friends. If I tell them the same thing, they could not care less. Only soccer lovers blow up when someone says anything about their beloved sport.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    July 1, 2011 7:58 p.m.

I hear Bingham cuts 70-100 kids every year. I doubt they get more than 20 that even try out for soccer. From what I hear Alta, Copper Hills and Brighton and a few other schools do get some good athletes, but the rest don't get much participation. This is not a slam on soccer, but from what I understand more and more kids are moving away from soccer to play Lacrosse. I don't follow either sport but I do think having multiple options are good for the kids who are just not tall enough or good enough for their HS basketball team or have the size to play football.

• Magic Pog LOGAN, UT
    July 2, 2011 11:02 a.m.

I can't believe the comments are all about soccer. I would like to say Congrats to all the athletes that are going to school. (even the soccer players). Can we make the comments about how proud we are of the athletes?

Let's all agree that soccer players are not full athletes and other sports are worthless. Let's all agree that anyone can take steroids and be good at football and soccer players eat oranges.

By the way, Factcheck - I love the irony of your name. In your comment you backed your facts up by "I hear" or "I doubt" or "From what I hear" or "from what I understand" or even "I don't think" - Come on man, Pick a side we are at war.

For anyone that is going to make a comment to me don't waste your time I am not coming back to this page to check. I was just checking to see if my daughters name was mentioned (Ironically for soccer). Congrats again to all athletes!

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Magic Pog.... "at war" really. As someone who has lost someone close in real war, I think that is a pretty poor choice to use that analogy.

By the way, factcheck is not my name, at least from what I hear. I simply made some comments to try and clarify some exaggerations on both sides. Like good athletes do not play soccer or on the other side, football is the real participation sport and that more kids get cut from soccer. The comment on Lacrosse was just to point out something that I read on the comment boards on another article, that more and more kids are leaving other sports like baseball and soccer to play Lacrosse. I have never seen a game, so I am not sure. Someone can call me out if I am wrong. If what I said was not a fact, please advise. There was a comment about how more kids are cut from soccer. I am sure there are some Bingham parents that can verify if there are really 70-100 kids cut from their football team. By the way...I will call you out on the Steroids. Really? I doubt it.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2011 8:19 a.m.

One more thing Magic Pog. I "hear" that Community College out in Iowa is incredible. Good luck to your daughter and her teammates. You and your husband must be very proud.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    July 3, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Adam,
    Bingham baseball this year, had marshall going to BYU and Lail who next year will play at Utah and Cantwell could of gone to some small schools, korbin courtney is going to westminster to play golf, connor williams only a junior already talkin to many schools about baseball, but bingham cares about winning in baseball you have to promote your self to be seen, and once teams do talk to the coaches it all good things.
    03's state title team only had Jangard going to Dixie where he didnt do much but that just shows that Bingham baseball is elite and competes year in year out even with not that much talent.
    Bingham does cut 100 plus kids for basketball and over 20 kids all try to go some where else and its great they do, gotta remember people there is only 5 guys that play at a time, so how do you pick 5 from 200 people? you try doing thta year end year out

• aficionado Sandy, UT
    July 3, 2011 3:05 p.m.

The same number of kids don't make the soccer team at Bingham too. THere are around 80 kids who don't make the soccer team.

Soccer players might flop or fake injuries, but i would rather exaggerate on a foul than use steroids like baseball does. And basketball players flop too. just watch manu genobli.

Soccer isn't easy, for bad athletes, or an activity. Its hard, for athletes, and a sport.

Baseball. You can be 350 pounds and be the best offensive player. Athlete? I think it takes a ton of coordination and it is also a sport. Oh, and this game takes 2x as long as a soccer game at least.

Basketball. Basketball is awesome. A true athlete's game. The running is nothing compared to soccer though. And its very easy to score in.

Football. I love football. Great sport. They get a lot of breaks though. But athletes play football.

Soccer. Soccer you have to run, and kick. Sounds easy, but it isn't. If you think it is, then you call me. and get 5 of your friends and I'll get 5 of mine and we will see how easy it is.

• Scuba18 Logan, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:20 a.m.

4 Mountain Crest Seniors - Tanner Collins, Dillan Mathys, Jared Rowell and Jaycson Yeates have signed letters of intent to play soccer at Iowa Lakes CC.

• Speed_Altitude Centerville, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Just a soccer comment: To make soccer more interesting, get rid of the "offside" rule. Could you imagine basketball with a rule like that. More scoring, more excitement.

• TchrClubHS Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:41 a.m.

To the paper: I figured you would go back and delete those comments that were offensive...when someone finally complained! They were dated a couple of months ago so THANKS for your "editing" now that you "stand corrected"! You are part of the problem with today's media! Instead of allowing a rebuttal, you just delete the original comment. Way to stand up and do the right thing...NOT!!!

• Jeff Parker Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:58 a.m.

So I replied to thepinkjersey about its comment about the Catholic Church being a cult! So the "editor" decides it was an offensive comment and goes back and deletes it from about two months ago. Then the "editor" refuses to add my rebuttal, which was not as offensive as the original comment

The damage is done and anyone reading this now is clueless as to the great disservice you have provided!

To the Pinkjersey: leave the Catholic Church out of your conversations about soccer! Your comment was and is ignorant.

Also, I have added my name as my display name.

• Bruzzer Ogden, UT
    Dec. 30, 2011 3:06 a.m.

Not one person from Ben Lomond High school really?