Behind the Mic: Fairy tale continues for former Cougar Jimmer Fredette

Comments

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    June 23, 2011 11:56 p.m.

Can't wait to order my league pass...I'm a newly converted Kings fan. It's interesting, I am more excited about what he will do next year than I am about my previous favorite team; the Jazz.
    He will have a chance to once again prove all the naysayers wrong. Go get 'em Jimmer, and never stop!

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Next, Jimmer will turn Coke into Pepsi just as he qualifies for the Hall of Fame. I really am rooting for the kid but the pressure of expectations in Utah would have been unreal. Everytime the Jazz lost it would have been Corbin's fault for not playing Jimmer 48 minutes or letting him shoot enough. Good luck in Sac-Town and wherever the franchise moves after that.

• richl Farmington, UT
    June 24, 2011 1:50 a.m.

They are making a movie about Jimmer. It's a documentary about his work before the draft and supposedly culminating with his pick tonight. It will be fun to see. I recommend that all Jimmer haters stay home.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    June 24, 2011 4:55 a.m.

I am now a Kings fan (as well as a Jazz fan).

I look forward to watching Jimmer play and grow!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 24, 2011 6:07 a.m.

Were you to list 5 of the worst places for Jimmer to land the Kings are on that list. Too bad. One of the sink holes in the NBA.

• sixpacktr Lancaster, NY
    June 24, 2011 6:54 a.m.

I haven't watched the NBA since the 'Stockton-to-Malone' days, and didn't really miss it. It seemed to have morphed into more 'thug ball' than anything else.

I am now a Sacramento Kings fan, and will continue to follow Jimmer's career. Thanks for a great 3 years Jimmer, and may you continue to prove your detractors wrong...

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    June 24, 2011 7:20 a.m.

I am now a Mavs fan and a Kings fan. When will the Jimmer/Kings jerseys be available?

Go get 'em, Jimmer! I will be watching.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    June 24, 2011 7:29 a.m.

Congrats tro Jimmer! Top ten pick, POY, All American on all teams. It's very telling to see after all that success, that ute fans are still trying to take him down. Jealousy breeds contempt. It's a great day for Y fans an embarassing day for u fan. Now I'm sure the next step of unrelenting hatred is to watch his career and criticize his every move. Insecurity is rampant.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:53 a.m.

Always liked the Kings, now I love them. The arena is really loud. Saw a Laker game there in a luxury box and the noise level plus the cowbells were exciting. Go Jimmer.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:54 a.m.

I was bummed to see that Jimmer didnt slip to #12 but also very happy he got taken in the top 10.

As the ute fans in front of us at ESA stood and cheered that Jimmer was being taken before the Jazz had a chance, I also stood. I stood in ovation of a great person, a great player, a superstar from BYU. He gave us some incredible moments over the years that I will never forget.

Thanks, Jimmer. Good luck in SacTown!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 24, 2011 8:11 a.m.

Jimmer couldn't have gone to a better team, what with their starting PG being traded just to get him, as far as getting a chance to play a lot right away.

Whether Jimmer stays there his whole career, or becomes a pawn between teams vying for a title, remains to be seen.

I'm both happy and sad. Happy for him to go to a team where he can grow quickly, and sad he's not playing for my home team.

Go Jimmer! Continue to Jimmer them doubters! Mr. POY, top ten NBA pick!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    June 24, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I hate crowds.
    I can not stand the element that goes to rock concerts, even though I have never been to one.
    I have a life long goal of:
    1. Never attending a major league baseball game. (Fail! My ward opted to go to Mormon night at the Mariners and I was in the Young Men's Presidency).
    2. Never attend a rock concert. (So far successful)
    3. Never attend an NBA game (So far so good)

With Jimmer in the NBA I might just change my tune on the NBA games, but only if Jimmer is playing. In as much as I live in the Seattle area and we no longer have an NBA team here (yea!) I am probably still safe.

BTW: My life long goals do not extend to BYU sporting events. I would attend them in a heart beat.
    The Mariners game turned out okay. They LOST to the Angels 10-zip!

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    June 24, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Congrats Jimmer!

Still disproving the naysayers, your NBA dream is now a reality!

Good luck in Sactown, I'm now officially a Kings fan.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 24, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I will never be a big Kings fan but the more Jimmer plays, the more I will watch them. I believe he has gone to a place that will give him the best chance of success. It is up to him to make the most of it. He will give it everything he has and I think he has what it takes to be an impact player.

• JustAnotherName Alpine, UT
    June 24, 2011 10:14 a.m.

I guess the U trolls are really scratching their collective heads right now.

Jimmer is supposed to be in Europe not the NBA! "Mark It Down"!

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 24, 2011 11:16 a.m.

@oh ye confederacy of dunces
    You were never a real Jazz fan to begin with so what point are you trying to prove? I am glad the Jimmer bandwagon has all decided today to become kings fans, its cracking me up!
    Anyways good luck Jimmer hopefully you can prove all your doubters wrong. We know you have the talent, stay strong in the Gospel and be an example to your team mates.
    You are still the chuck norris of college basketball though! I cant resist for old time sakes. If at first you don't succeed, you're not Jimmer Fredette. Jimmer is the reason why Waldo is hiding. Jimmer doesn't breathe, he holds air hostage. Jimmer can slam a revolving door. Jimmer can beat Halo 3 on Legendary...with a guitar hero controller!

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    June 24, 2011 11:34 a.m.

I became a huge Colts fan with Collie, now I can add the Kings to my list of new favorite teams. Would have loved to see Jimmer in a Jazz uniform but very happy for him to go in the top 10 of the draft. I think Jimmer will be just as successful as Collie has been and prove many of the doubters wrong.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    June 24, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Lets all take a deep breath here and realize that Jimmer is not Provo anymore. What he achieved at BYU is irrelevant now that he has moved on to the NBA and to a new market with all new fans. He is going to have to prove himself all over again. We should all support him and cheer for him, but lets not crown him Rookie of the Year just yet. The Jimmer has a long and tough road ahead of him and there are sure to be many bumps along the way.

• carman Alpine, UT
    June 24, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Jimmer was fun to watch this year. Hopefully we can see him for many years in the NBA.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    June 24, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Yeah, I'll be watching Sacramento now, myself. Like many (since there's no school affiliations), I watch pro-basketball because of the players, not because of the team; so many former Jazz watchers may be turning to the Jimmer channel. With all the Jimmer fans in Utah and other places, and the many BYU grads in California, the Sacramento team gave themselves a hugh attendance and TV viewing boost, and consequently, team support!

Sacramento will now probably be the BYU and other Jimmer-fans' team, and the Jazz will belong to the Utes!

After all, the report was that Utah fans cheered loudest when Sacramento, rather than the Jazz, chose Jimmer ---- So, the rivalry continues!!!

Go, Sacramento-Cougars!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    June 24, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Sad that the Utah-BYU rivalry is so intense Utah fans are happy to see the most interesting player in the draft go to a rival because the hate BYU so much. Good news for them is they'll be able to fan the flames of their hate each time the Jazz play the Kings.

This is not a healthy rivalry like USC-UCLA or Washington-Oregon. It is religious bigotry pure and simple. As a Husky, I delighted in Washington wins over USC and Oregon. But I cheered Paul Westfall at USC because he was so good. Kareem, Walton, all the UCLA greats. I "hated" UCLA but I cheered their great players. I was glad to see Van Horn, Doleac, et al. get drafted and was sad to see they did not really pan out in the NBA, but hey, they were western players.

This is not reciprocated by the BYU haters in Utah (the state). This vitriol is religious, with nothing to do with sport.

I for one would like to see this "rivalry" die. If BYU never plays Utah again, I would say, "bueno".

• Middle of the Road Home Town USA, UT
    June 24, 2011 1:04 p.m.

I am so glad for a different reason that Jimmer is going to the Kings. The attidute and atmosphere of the Jazz is so U OF U. That is why Jimmer didn't belong to the Jazz element, anyway.

Unless Sacramento gets a commitment to build another arena for the Kings, it is goodbye for them in Northern California. Anaheim would welcome them, and Jimmer will shine even more there. It is a win-win for Sacramento.

The Kings, old fans and new will benefit by the future sellout crowds, so the Kings can wear the crown of victory having the Jimmer on board!

Anytime a chubby-cheeked kid can make it to the NBA, it is real news, and history. Life goes on.

• combblai POCATELLO, ID
    June 24, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Kings Owner said this morning that they have sold more season tickets today then all of last year.

This is called the "Jimmer-Effect".

A new stadium is next.

• sunshiner st.george, ut
    June 24, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Is there now a new "King James" in the NBA?

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 24, 2011 3:05 p.m.

@ Middle of the Road
    What are you talking about? Name one player on the Jazz who has any affiliation with the U? Why has this even become anything to do with the U? Man the lot of you have huge insecurities. Hating the Jazz now because they didnt draft Jimmer? The Jazz are a professional team they have nothing to do with the Utah/byu rivalry. There as many U haters out there as all the supposed byu haters. You are mostly bandwagon fans, cmon leave the U out of this one.

• Middle of the Road Home Town USA, UT
    June 24, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Clarification: You know, Utes21, it is the fans from the U that clapped so loud and hooped an hollered when Jimmer was picked up through the Milwaukee team and that made it so he didn't go to the Jazz, period, per Greg Ubel's article today.

So it was not the Jazz who were the ones that didn't want him, it was the Ute element and they couldn't be happy if Jimmmer was picked up by the Utah NBA team. Duh,.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 3:31 p.m.

@ Middle of the Road | 1:04 p.m. June 24, 2011
    Home Town USA, UT

That's just painful.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    June 24, 2011 3:50 p.m.

I thought all those Ute fans that said Jimmer was a 2nd round pick at best would be hiding today. Guess they can't stand the thought of leaving there grandma's basement.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 24, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Congratulations Jimmer, you're truly a class act of a young man.

Having a dream and attaining it takes guts that most of us will never truly comprehend.

Good luck at Sacramento, they need you! I look forward to watching the Kings as my next favorite team to follow after the Jazz!

And to the naysayers... hardy ha ha he he ho ho to U

• yourmomgoestocollege Las Vegas, NV
    June 24, 2011 8:43 p.m.

Utes21-

There was a DN or KSL article a couple of weeks ago that cited Jazz brass as saying they did a study to see which college teams their fans rooted for, and I believe it came out to be 2 to 1 in favor of the U. I think the point of the article was to say while there were many BYU fans hoping for the Jazz to pick Jimmer, they were still in the minority when it came to the overall fan base.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    June 24, 2011 9:37 p.m.

I think the job of non-stop gushing over Jimmer is more of a fairy tale for GW than the NBA could ever be for anyone.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    June 25, 2011 6:38 a.m.

Jimmer should NOW go on a Mission. That's his duty.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    June 25, 2011 8:44 a.m.

@Dennis

"Jimmer should NOW go on a Mission. That's his duty."
    *********

Now that would be a great story to pass up millions in the NBA to serve a mission for his faith.

• alemania SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 27, 2011 3:13 p.m.

I was one of the guys who was jumping up and down when Jimmer got drafted. The expectations would have been WAY too high here in Utah for him. A friend of mine who was sitting with me is a big time BYU fan and loves Jimmer. He didn't want him to come to the jazz because of unreal expectations. Don't say U fans don't want him to succeed. I'm a U fan and hope he does.