Opinion

Readers' forum: Romney is my pick

Comments

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    June 21, 2011 12:39 a.m.

Hmmm.... Sounds logical.

romney helps guide the Olympics. So naturally he's be a great President...

Loa, what about his health care plan that supports abortions? What about the tax hikes I mean fees he instituted?

Of course, these lil facts aren't being reported by AM radio.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 21, 2011 6:11 a.m.

I would bet the house that if this wealthy Massachusetts politician was not LDS, you would not be a supporter. I would also bet that if President Obama was Republican and he followed the exact same policies, you would be a fierce supporter.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    June 21, 2011 6:46 a.m.

Loa Don -- if you want to support someone whose opinion changes depending on the people to whom he is speaking, and someone who is nothing more or less than a typical (generally less-than-honest) politician, that is your choice. Personally I want a better candidate. That's why Jon Huntsman is my choice.

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    June 21, 2011 7:17 a.m.

As I understand it, Mitt Romney contends that the health care law instituted in Massachusetts is different from the national law because it was done at the state level. He has no problems with an individual mandate, the idea that government can require people to purchase services from a private industry. Big government at the state level is still big government. Don't forget his initial support for the bank bailouts. Now, all this doesn't mean Mitt Romney is a bad candidate, but don't vote for him hoping that he will do something about big government. There are much better candidates if you just want to reduce the sixe of government.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:00 a.m.

esquire

I bet the farm that if Harry Reid wsa not Mormon I still would not like his agenda.

I would vote for Mickey Mouse over Obama.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Loa Don Glade,

You'd vote for Romney, says you are OK with Obamacare, higher taxes and additional gun controls.

Romney didn't win the GOP nomination because he was a RINO - too Liberal.

Me thinks you're a Romney supporter strictly because he's a Mormon, and not for his Left-leaning, New England Republican style political ideologies.

Look deep within yourself as to why you're voting for someone.
    #1 Be honest with yourself.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:19 a.m.

KM, what do you think is Reid's agenda? Reid is closer to Romney's true politics than the rest of the GOP group running for President. Even so, Reid is not the issue of this letter or my comments. Stay within the GOP, and I still say that Utahns would ignore Romney, the Massachusetts liberal Republican, but for his religion.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Mitt Romney on Job creation:
    From 2003-2007 job growth: 0.9%.
    In rankings with the rest of the country:
    MA was 47th in Job creation when Mitt Romney was there.
    - Think Progress Travis Waldron 06/02/11

Sorry, 0.9% improvement for ONE state...
    does not give me reason to think he will do better with 50.

Heck, he didn't even run for a second term in MA.

Sorry, Obama has done better at being President than someone who ran one.

And Mikey Mouse is more popular than most of the GOP candidates KM.

*'Poll: Less than half of GOP primary voters satisfied with 2012 field' - By Mark Murray - NBC News - 06/15/11

Obama, 2012

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 21, 2011 9:10 a.m.

What are Romney's economic policies?

Does he adhere to " trickle-down"?

Does he support the tax cuts for upper levels of income?

Does he support a low capital gains tax rate?

Does he support an estate tax?

Does he support less regulation of the banks and financial institutions?

If the answer to these questions is "yes" then we will just return to the Bush years.
    No thanks.

• Jash Clearfield, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Re: Pagan

Nice copy paste of your post yesterday.

At least Romney's record on job growth is positive.

Obama on Job creation:
    From 2008-2011 job growth: -2.0%
    Worst unemployment rate in 14 years
    -Telegraph.co.uk - Nov 7, 2008

And Mikey Mouse is irrelevant to politics.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    June 21, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Romney is a job destroyer, not a creator. His M.O. for getting rich is simple: buy a company, fire half the workers so the cash flow statement suddenly looks amazing, then flip it at a big profit. Check out the story of his acquisition of Ampad. It's heartbreaking.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 21, 2011 9:43 a.m.

From February 2001, Bushs first full month in office, through January 2009, his last, the economy added just 1 million jobs. By contrast, in 2010 alone, the economy added at least 1.1 million jobs.

Mitt Romney: this is the slowest job recovery since Hoover. It breaks my heart. I want to get us back to work." (By Hoover, Romney meant President Herbert."

Wrong
    " We compared the number of employed Americans at the start of the recovery to the number employed at the end of the 23-month period. Then we calculated the percentage increase (or decrease) in employment over that time period.

By this measure, there were two recoveries weaker than the one were currently experiencing -- the one from November 2001 to October 2003, under President George W. Bush, and the one from July 1980 to June 1982, under presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. The George W. Bush recovery is especially striking, since the economy actually lost more than 700,000 jobs during the first 23 months after the recession ended."
    (politifact)

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Leave it to the biggest partisan hacks on the comment boards to tell everyone else why they would vote for a candidate. Thanks for your consistency, Esquire and LDS Lib.

• Alex Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 10:01 a.m.

There's absolutely no way I could vote for Mitt "I'm unemployed, too" Romney. The flip-flopped positions, saying whatever is relevant to the group he's in front of...a Romney presidency sounds like a disaster.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    June 21, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Mormon's don't smoke, but push this GOP hogwash, what would Romney say about this?. We don't need new cigarette labels that revealed photos, that don't do squat, costs extra money, is foolish and no one looks at them but the non-smokers. Get the tobacco companies through regulation to pay taxes on product's sold to americans and over 2/3 to third world countries, that'll hurt them more. The Patriot Act's money laundering provisions, where are they today?. The tobacco industry feared The Patriot Act so Rep. Michael Oxley removed a provision involving money laundering from the bill at the behest of the White House and GOP whip Tom DeLay, under pressure from Big Tobacco. More loopholes that allow qualifying Institutions to still serve as conduits for Tax Evasion that report nothing to the IRS for collection. Is this fair taxing to the poor and middleclass ?. Nail them all. WHO IN CONGRESS wrote a amendment to add this "BACK" into The Patriot Act to date?. Conservatives never see the elephant in the room now do they?. It's secret government by the insiders, for the insiders only today. That's for BIG BUSINESS "ONLY" and their deep pocket's.

Sarah Palin 2012.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    June 21, 2011 10:40 a.m.

It's obvious that Mitt Romney scares the non-republicans who posted today, otherwise, why would they try to tell us why Mitt isn't the proper REPUBLICAN candidate? They know that Mitt can easily beat Mr. Obama. Is that why they're posting? Or, are they really Republicans who only post like non-republicans?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 10:42 a.m.

'Worst unemployment rate in 14 years' - Jash | 9:14 a.m.

Nice manipulation of the facts.

Obama hasn't been PRESIDENT for 14 years!

But, I'm glad you brought up unemployment.

Clinton: 4%
    George W. Bush: 8%
    Obama to date: 9.1%

Granted an increase in national unemployment is bad. Nobody want's that.

But, what happened when the Republican party had control of the Senate, Congress and Presidency from 2000-2006? Almost EXCLUSIVE control for almost 8 years?

The national unemployment rate, doubled.
    Along with our national debt.

*'Eight years in office, a $10.6 trillion debt' - By David M. Dickson - December 15, 2008 - Washington Times

'President Bush has nearly doubled the national debt during his eight years in the White House.'

Great 'history', this Republican party has.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    June 21, 2011 11:22 a.m.

I think Romney is a great candidate, but he would be about my 3rd or 4th choice. he is a little squishy for my taste, but his business sense is exactly what the country needs now. The foolish airhead we have in office now, is exactly wrong for the job.
    I am always entertained by Pagan's cherry picked, lame, out-of-context and therefore foolishly meaningless quotes about Republicans. If you go to the BLS website, you can find average annual unemployment percentages. If you average those annual numbers, over the terms of their presidency, GWB and Clinton have the exact same average annual percentage. In no YEAR did GWB have anything close to 8% (maybe he did on the last day of his term, but not the year), and GWB faced far more difficult economic challenges then Clinton ever dreamed of. BHO hasn't had a day under 8%, and there is not a year in site, that he will be under 8%.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Pagan - I like how you take Clinton's very best point in time of unemployment statistics, and compare it against Bush's very worst point in time. Under both, the average unemployment rate for their respective 8 years in office was just over 5%.

"Nice manipulation of facts."

I anticipate you'll counter that unemployment under Clinton fell consistently every year from about 7% to 4%, where he handed off to Bush, and that Bush handed off 8% unemployment to Obama, even though Bush kept it pretty steady at around 5% for his entire presidency until the last few weeks.

Any honest person will admit that numerous factors led to the economic meltdown at the very end of Bush's presidency, which were sown and perpetuated through several previous presidents and congresses, Republican and Democratic. But, there are few honest commenters on these boards, so we're reminded daily that it's all Bush's fault, or it's all Obama's fault that it's so difficult to overcome, as if the solution is so easy.

If recent history is an indicator, the best economic decisions seem to be made with a pragmatic Democrat president, and a bold Republican congress.

Unfortunately, Obama's not nearly as pragmatic as Clinton.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 21, 2011 12:36 p.m.

Hard to believe that rank and file Republicans and brothers and sisters here in Utah would fall in line for Mitt.

How can they support a man who flips and flops on issues because the political winds have changed?

Mitt is after all #8 on the Top Ten list of RINO's and has been listed as "the most pro-abortion and pro-gay rights Republican official in the nation for the last decade." He has been reviewed favorably by Boston's major homosexual newspaper. These hardly sound like family values or Utah values to me! I am shocked and dismayed.

Could it be that so many are for Mitt just because he is a Mormon? What will Jon Huntsman's candidacy do to Mitt's support? Sounds like trouble to me right here in Salt Lake City, Utah Valley and across all of Zion!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 12:51 p.m.

'Any honest person will admit that numerous factors led to the economic meltdown at the very end of Bush's presidency...' - DSB | 11:50 a.m.

Yeah.

It's called the Bush presidency.

Or the Republican controlled: Senate, Congress and presidency from 2000-2006.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    June 21, 2011 1:36 p.m.

Regan had an unemployement rate above 10% about this time in his presidency.

Vote for Mittens. He buys companies, lays off half the workers, scares the rest into working twice as hard and sells at a profit like he's a genius. I'm sure he'll do the same for the country.

• Nonconlib Orem, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Mitt: Elect me. I was a successful businessman, so I know how to create jobs.

Q: What does buying and selling businesses have to do with creating jobs?

Mitt: Elect me. I was a successful businessman, so I know how to create jobs.

Q: But at Bain your buying and selling of businesses often resulted in large layoffs.

Mitt: Elect me. I was a successful businessman, so I know how to create jobs.

Q: So, what specifics can you give us about your strategies for job creation.

Mitt: Elect me. I was a successful businessman, so I know how to create jobs.

Q: Oh, forget it.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:03 p.m.

@ DSB, in four years, I have yet to hear Romney say anything of substance - no concrete proposals, no actual plans, etc. All I've heard him say is the typical buzz lines of the GOP. I seriously do not know where he really stands on much of anything in public policy. I can't rely on his record as Governor of MA, as he seems to be running away from that. Other than trying to be a right winger (which I don't think he is), what is he? I still don't think a rich Massachusetts near-liberal would otherwise be accepted in UT but for his religion. The thing is, no one denies it!

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:30 p.m.

If Mitt weren't Mormon, and had a D by his name, would Loa still feel the same way?

Had Obama been in charge of the Olympics and had the same result as Mitt and had a R by his name, how would she feel?

• The Taxman Los Angeles, CA
    June 21, 2011 3:08 p.m.

I was going to vote for Mitt, but then while visiting Massachusetts last week I decided not to. But then while driving home through Utah I decided to. But then when I arrived in Los Angeles I decided not to. But now that I'm posting on DN's website I feel like I probably will. But later while I'm posting on NYT's website I'll probably change my mind.

I guess, just like Mitt, I change my mind depending on where I am and who I'm with.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Esquire - so what? Name a politician who doesn't pander for votes, who doesn't stay vague enough to satisfy enough voters to get elected. See how that works for Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. Romney has a proven track record of success everywhere he goes. The promises he makes during a campaign or leading up to taking control, he lists out and works to keep, while serving his constituency, as he did in Massachusetts, the Olympics, and as a businessman.

What more do you want from a candidate? To never change his mind? Again, name one who hasn't. The "flip flopper" thing is so lame and tired. Intellectually laziness at its peak.

I'm also embarrassed for anyone who signed that stupid abortion pledge, as if we want a totally one-issue president who makes every decision based on its impact on abortion rights. That Bachman and others would so blatantly abdicate their presidential power to the Susan B. Anthony List is enough for me to reject them. Total pandering, no leadership.

By the way, I haven't noticed that Reid's Mormonism has converted many Mormons to the Democratic Party. But you keep arrogantly telling us that we vote based on religion.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 3:51 p.m.

I still think its a very bigoted comment you made. As if the LDS vote for somebody just because they are LDS. I haven't seen it that way with any of my fellow cultists. For example, I don't know many Mormons that would vote for Huntsman because he is much like the man in charge at the moment, pure progressive. If we want a good president why not look at Cain or Bachman. These two, in my humble opinion, would be great USA CEO's.
    ps. Why is the press so afraid of Herman Cain that they won't give him any air time? propagandists.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 4:07 p.m.

@Jash

You're going to say Obama's job creation is bad? You know he inherited a -700k job change per month rate right? Now he's riding a 15 month straight private sector job growth streak.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 4:10 p.m.

"They know that Mitt can easily beat Mr. Obama. "

Easily? Obama leads in head to head matchups and Romney has to deal with the governors of Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsyvlania, and Florida ticking off their state. With the Governor's approval ratings down near 40 in those states, it doesn't bode well for Republicans trying to find some swing states to go their way. Heck, a poll just released finds Obama leads Romney by 2... in Tennessee.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 21, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Mike Richards | 10:40 a.m. June 21, 2011
    South Jordan, Utah
    ========

HaHaHa, ...seriously?

Mitt Romney may win the GOP nomination - but will get pasted in the general election.

Listen to the other-side if you want to know what the otherside is thinking.

1. Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, ect. is who Obama would like to win the GOP nomination. It would be an easy re-election.

2. Jon Huntsman or Chris Christie are the only viable GOP candidates. Christie won't run (probably because he has dirt on him) leaving Huntsman.
    Obama Huntsman to China to keep him out of sight, and out of mind.
    Another Fact - the DNC on the national level already smacked Huntsman with the first negative ad.

BTW - How do you endorse a NorthEast Blue - Rockefeller Republican like MittRomney, who supported Gay marriage & Universal HealthCare [to include paid abortions]?

The only think I can figure is that he's Mormon.
    Doesn't the rationizing keep you awake at night?

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 4:32 p.m.

KM you conveniently forgot that Utah Republicans voted for Mitt four years ago in the super Tuesday primary giving him 90% of their vote. No other state gave any candidate more than the 60+% in the entire primary season. I would humbly suggest that if the Messiah returned and ran as a Republican, he couldn't pull 90% of the vote! Hence a reasonable person would have to suppose that his being Mormon and this being Utah might have had something to do with the result!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 21, 2011 5:29 p.m.

Respectfully, I disagree.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 5:43 p.m.

To Pagan - first, you manipulate unemployment data to fit your agenda, then regurgitate the false simpleton rant that Bush and Republicans are solely responsible for the economic meltdown. If you're true to form, when you run out of your 4 comments, you'll cheat with additional comments under another name to ensure you get the most and last distorted opinions on the matter.

Thank you for validating my point that very few commenters engage in honest discussion on these boards.

By the way LDS Lib - I don't see Harry Reid getting a ton of Mormon support, or even Huntsman for that matter, so there must be more than just religious alignment driving Utah voters. Even if there is jubilation among some that a viable, successful, candidate who's true to the faith is available for a vote, what's that to you? I'm guessing that's why Obama got something like 90% of the black vote. Let's see a disparaging commentary from you on that.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 22, 2011 8:02 a.m.

DSB | 5:43 p.m. June 21, 2011
    Cedar Hills, UT

=================

It's called lemming-ism. Following the crowd. Conformity. Say, Do, Think Like everyone else.
    Political purity.

What I still can't understand is how so many "Tea-Party" Utah Republicans who hate Pres. Obama -- turn right around and support a New England style Republican Governor who passed Universal Healthcare, Gay Marriage, gun control, and abortion in his state?

Ideologically Mitt Romney is a total mis-match.

And the only thing I see having is common his Mormonism and Salt Lake Olympic Committee leadership.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 23, 2011 3:27 p.m.

As the guest said on Countdown, Tuesday night, Mitt & JHJ may negate each other and leave the door wide open for Bachmann.

p.s. Thats right Conservatives... Keith Olbermann is back and Brother Glenn is going away... isn't Karma wonderful?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 24, 2011 9:23 p.m.

re: KM | 8:00 a.m. June 21, 2011

"I would vote for Mickey Mouse over Obama."

I'd bet you voted for goofy in 2000 & 2004?