Draft roundup: Jimmer Fredette prefers Knicks to Jazz

Comments

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    June 20, 2011 2:42 p.m.

The Jazz had a point guard named Dwill up until last year. He played no defense yet was regarded as one of the best point guards in the league. It's possible that Jimmer plays better defense than Dwill, yet it is the reason not to draft him. Seems silly.

Oh and there is a guy in Phoenix named Nash who plays no defense. I am sure there are lots of teams that would like that guy.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 20, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Nash and Williams are both quick and are great passers. Jimmer is not! I still feel that Jimmer will just be known as a great College player but not do much in the NBA. I kinda compare him to Adam Morrison not based on measurables obviously.

• Sloppyj30 Saint Louis, MO
    June 20, 2011 3:36 p.m.

The Morrison comparisons are shockingly shallow. Actual NBA scouts and GM's . . people who are paid big bucks to offer expert opinions . . see them as similar??

They are both big-scoring white guys from mid-majors. That's where the similarities end. I guess the lesson is, when you really have no clue how a particular white college player is going to fit in the NBA, compare him to a recent flameout with 1-2 superficial similarities and call it a day. Unbelievable. Is Charlotte hiring? I'm thinking that with my two years of high school hoops experience I could provide better insight than whoever they've got now.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    June 20, 2011 3:46 p.m.

CJ, me and you are on the same page with this one there are many NBA players that do not play good Defense, the Jazz have had thier share in the past few seasons, Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver just to name a few. CJ is right quicker PG took D-Will to the hole alot in fact D-Will played better Defense on 2 gaurds becuase most of them are slower then PG's.

Why make a big deal about this defense thing now. I think what makes Jimmer good is his willingness to work and he is a gym rat like Stockton was. Jimmer is a good character guy and made it through the BYU honor code unscathed that in its self is huge for a high profile guy like Jimmer.

If he is there at 12 you have to take him.

Go Jazz

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 20, 2011 3:47 p.m.

I think Jimmer will have a solid career in the NBA. Kerr and Hodges were both on their teams for one thing...3 point shooting to spread the floor. Jimmer is better at driving and finishing as a college senior than either of them ever were in the NBA. Fredette can also create his own shots which neither of them were good at. If he gets much PT his rookie year he will probably be invited to the all star weekend for the 3 point competition.
    I really hope it is not in NY but if he wants to be there then I wish him luck.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Jimmer in New York is the best thing for him. In Utah there are to many haters here. He needs to go some where there isnt much pressure put him on to produce by Haters and the BYU faithful. I would love for him to play here, but it would suck being at ESA hearing some Ute hater booing him, and me having to put him to sleep.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    June 20, 2011 4:11 p.m.

Hello Jazz, pick Jimmer at 3, or be jimmered! His strengths far outweigh any potential weeknesses. Since being a Utah Jazz fan from the beginning, it would be a nice feeling rooting for a guy with Utah ties that has a significant role with the team. That really hasn't happened before. Tom Chambers comes to mind but he was beyond his prime when he was a Jazz guy. The Jazz should take note of the examples of the NY universities (Syracuse), Jimmmer played in their backyard but did not take serious notice due to his perceived weaknesses. Let it be known, if the Jazz pass at 3, Jimmer will outplay whoever the Jazz pick at three.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 20, 2011 4:16 p.m.

I watched Jimmer play this year and no question he is really good. I just think he lacks the size and quickness and overall complete game to compete at the NBA level. No doubt he can acore at the collegiate level.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    June 20, 2011 4:27 p.m.

crowtown1:

I fell a sleep after your comparison to Adam Morrison. really? you can dislike him but, Adam Morrison? Do some homework take of the hate glasses and just give a real thought.

I would love to see Jimmer in a Jazz uniform but people it is not happening at the 12 slot he will be long gone. Mark it down!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 20, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Wages of Win is listing all of the American players Position Adjusted Win Scores (40 minutes).

Irving leads the PGs with 13.6, the next 2 are from weak back water conferences then Walker 10.6 and Hasbrough 10.5. Jimmer is at 9.3 but Knight is a dismal 6.3. Average is 7.1.

Leonard is the best SF at 13.8 followed by Hamilton 10.8 and Parson 10.7.

PF are Faried at 17.2, Markief Morris at 13.5 then William at 12.7.

Burks and Brooks are the best shooting guards.

Jimmer had a much better score last year.

This raises very serious questions about Knight.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 20, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Bugoff, Really...

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    June 20, 2011 5:31 p.m.

Every guard in the NBA is chomping at the bit to do a crossover on the white phenom from NY. Jimmer will get humbled, he will find his niche. I think he would do wonderful in a program that runs an uptempo offense. Phoenix, Dallas, NY, Denver, OKC would help Jimmer. A few years behind Nash would groom James into a good NBA player.

Jimmer is not the answer to any team. He is a role player that will hit the long ball and do great on the fast break. He will be ok. There are a few Jimmer Haters but a lot more fans. I'm a Ute and wish him well.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 20, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Re: bballjunkie

How about I don't agree with you.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 20, 2011 6:13 p.m.

i sure hope we get jimmer...he has the skills we really need...a three point threat...the mavs won it all...having a lot of guys that can drill threes...its an asset and it makes the team tougher to guard...im sure jimmer would improve his defense...make it happen...

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, WA
    June 20, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Crowntown:

"I kinda compare him to Adam Morrison not based on measurables obviously."

What does that even mean? if you don't have anything to measure the comparison, what is the comparison that you are making, and how do you make it?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 20, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Measurables as in Height,positon.

But both good College players, but NBA busts. That's my prediction of Jimmer's NBA future.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 20, 2011 7:18 p.m.

I'm NOT gonna feel sorry for the Jimmer (disguised BYU) haters when he Jimmers them all as an NBA player.

The amount of press he's getting over other draftees is certainly making a lot of lottery pick GMs nervous.

He's an enigma to many, even those who have a lot of film on him, because of the requirements he needed to meet as a player at BYU.

It's going to be interesting to see where he actually does go, and how high.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 20, 2011 7:20 p.m.

I think TJ's correct that any team passing up Jimmer will have trouble defending his trey ability (combined with his cross-over). Jimmer will Jimmer any team that passes him up.

I don't see ANY other prospective draftee having that kind of impact.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    June 20, 2011 7:52 p.m.

crowntown1

"Measurables as in Height,positon."

Stockton, one of the all-time great PGs, is only 5'11" without shoes.

JJ Barea, who seemed to be able to score at will during the 2011 playoffs, is listed at 6'0", but is probably shorter than that.

Isiah Thomas - 6'1"

Ricky Green - 6'0"

Nate Archibald - 6'1"

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    June 20, 2011 8:04 p.m.

If the Jazz do not Pick Jimmer at 3 they won't get him. Every team is realizing that he is the real deal with his shot and size. He is going to be an instant impact on the team that drafts him. Every major analysts says how important 4yrs of school is any thing less is not recommended. Every team would love the Jazz to pass on him. How good would he be next to big AL,Favors,Hayward, and CJ wow I don't think that any team would want to face that. He has under rated passing skills and had to make due on BYU. He is worth believing the HYPE.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 20, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Valanciunas has a 40 minute adjusted Win Score of 15.3. However, his buyout will not let him come over until next year. That may not be bad as he can play all year in Europe and develop which would not happen in a lockout year in the NBA as a rookie.

Jimmer's Win Score was better last year and also earlier this year (12+) before he lost Collingsworth and Davies. His efficiency went down as the quality of the players he could pass to disappeared. He was forced into more circus shots.

Comparing Jimmer to Morrison and other scoring leaders in previous years is kind of bogus. Almost all scoring leaders in the last 10 years came from very weak conferences. BYU had one of the best RPIs in the country. Jimmer played against good competition and a lot of double teams.

Calipari may be right Kanter is a better pick than Knight or Tristam Thompson who has moved into the lotto.

Williams is weaker than many realize based on PAWS. There is a lot of hype out there. Irving only played 11 games and has an injury that cost Price several games each year.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 20, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Yeah but the game is faster today, players are more athletic. Those guys can make up the height with quickness and speed and Jimmer doesn't have that. Chris paul,Barea,Iverson etc. were all quick guards. Not taking anything away he was a great College player I just don't think his college game will carry over.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 20, 2011 10:53 p.m.

The people who were allowed to watch the Jimmer/Walker workouts reported that Jimmer owned Walker and since Knight was not confident enough to show up that should tell you something also, yet all i'm hearing is Knight or Walker at #3. It's pure east coast bias.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    June 20, 2011 11:40 p.m.

re: crowntown

Did you even look at the chicago combine results before declaring Jimmer to be slow and unathletic? Jimmer outperformed kemba and knight in many of the tests. Jimmer is very quick and strong for a PG.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, WA
    June 20, 2011 11:44 p.m.

Crowntown:

None of us had any clue that Jimmer and Adam Morrison are different heights and played different positions. So thanks for that.

If you don't want to jump on the Jimmer bandwagon that's fine. But comparing him to a player who doesn't have his same "measurables" doesn't make any sense. You can't measure 2 things that are completely different.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    June 21, 2011 1:48 a.m.

Morrison may have been a bust but...why do people keep forgetting that he had a major knee injury? If not for that injury, is it possible that he may have made it in the NBA?

Larry Johnson, also known as Grandmamma, was a dominant player. Injured his back, suddenly he's nothing more than a role player, even after getting "healthy".

So Morrison was a bust. But was it because he couldn't hack it, or did the knee have a lot to do with it? I guess we'll never really know.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    June 21, 2011 4:54 a.m.

We will all be surprised where Jimmer ends up in the draft, some pleasantly, some not so much.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:01 a.m.

For Jimmer's sake, I hope he isn't picked in the top 10. Because of his unique skill set, he will need a team and management that will allow him to flourish.

Anybody that wants to argue that should look at Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers. At draft time, the two seemed quite comparable (with Alex Smith seeming more talented and disciplined). However, one landed with one of the worst teams and organizations in the league (1st pick overall) and one ended up with arguably the best organization in the NFL (though he had to swallow his pride as a late 20s pick in the first round). While Aaron Rodgers is already making a case for the Hall of Fame, Alex Smith hasn't even made a serious case that he should be a starter (Harbaugh may change that, if given the opportunity).

For Jimmer's sake, I hope he lands with the Phoenix Suns or the New York Knicks. Where you land is more important than the number pick you are.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:02 a.m.

Jimmer has great basketball IQ.

Playing with prison thugs or NBA thugs should not be a big difference to Jimmer

Jimmer has an uncanny knack for getting to the line and then he resembles Dirk in that he hits 90+% of his free throws.

Just imagine if he had quality people to pass to once the double team covers him, because he will demand a double team.

Jimmer has plenty of upside and he will continue to get better. I wish him well whichever team he lands on, and whatever team that is, they will have made a good choice.

Very few players in this draft will have as big an impact as early as Jimmer will

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 21, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Jimmer can play this season as a spot shooter. It will take him a couple of years to develop as a PG. It took DWill that long.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    June 21, 2011 11:54 a.m.

I dont know why anyone would live in NY. By far the highest taxed city you can live in period. Jimmer having 3/4 of his salary go to government stupidity. Its funny how the Knicks have gotten all these players over the years that nobody else wants. I can see why the Knicks want Jimmer. I sure would on my team. But I dont see why anyone would want to play for the Knick unless they love NYC. I sure dont.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 21, 2011 12:25 p.m.

For Jimmer's sake, I hope he gets picked by the Suns. He could learn from one of the greats and play in a system that fits his style of play. He coudl sell tickets, but I'm not sure if the Suns have Aaron Brooks in their plans or not.

I'm not sure if going to the Jazz makes sense for him as much as it makes sense for the Jazz. Devin Harris is there...

As for the Knicks, let's hope he doesn't go to a team where all of the looks go to Amare and Melo, although the Knicks play a brand of basketball that fits Jimmer's.

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Is NYC really the highest taxed city you can live in? Period? Really? Cigarettes are $12 a pack because of taxes but I don't know about all the rest. Where do you come by your absolute knowing of it being the highest taxed city?

I must laugh about not wanting to live in New York City though. The best cultural destination in the US and among the best in the world. It is among finest food places in the nation and world and it serves as a cosmopolitan gathering place for all nations, kindreds, tongues and people. It never closes and it offers diverse fun and many free and cheap opportunities. Why wouldn't a person want to live there? I am with Jimmer. I love Utah just fine but if I made millions, New York would be my favorite too.

• LKA Tremonton, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:23 p.m.

I seen a article where the Nets was the 1B choice. What is 1c,1d??

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 2:42 p.m.

To hear Jimmer fans describe him, he is the number one point guard in the draft, and yet Cleveland isn't looking at him, nor Minnesota, nor Toronto.

If the Jazz take Jimmer, and he turns out to be an NBA bust, will Jazz fans get an apology from Jimmer fans? I suspect not. Instead, we'll get a list of excuses about how it wasn't his fault.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    June 21, 2011 4:26 p.m.

I don't hate Jimmer. I just dislike not being able to have an intelligent conversation with so many Jimmer fans who think he should play with the Jazz yet they don't know who Derrick Williams and Derrick Favors are.

If Jimmer plays for the Jazz, I'd certainly be cheering for him. Heck, I wish him well wherever he plays.

That being said, I don't see Jimmer getting drafted at the #3 or the #12. Somewhere inbetween.

Two more days....I can't wait!

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    June 21, 2011 5:04 p.m.

@Not So Fast. NYC is by far one of the highest taxed cities in the U.S and its only getting worse. Property tax is insane. Look it up.I know people who live there and pay several thousands of dollars a month just for apartment rental. Nice places to visit but only if you can afford to get a hamberger if you do get hungry. If you get bored there you can pay $20 TO SEE A 3-d movie.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    June 22, 2011 9:18 a.m.

There it is. HAHAHA! Jimmer will bolt for New York the first chance he gets. Better not draft him now. lol You know how jazzfans value their unrealistic interpretations of loyalty.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    June 22, 2011 9:21 a.m.

forgetyourself 8:04

"If the Jazz do not Pick Jimmer at 3 they won't get him. Every team is realizing that he is the real deal with his shot and size."

If that were the case, he would be going #1.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 22, 2011 6:13 p.m.

I am predicting that you won't hear his name past the draft. He will be known as a great college player period! And there's nothihng wrong with that. Why would he wanna play in Utah you have no Championships, not a large market and he's from NY.