Utah

Comments

• medicinalmike midvale, ut
    June 19, 2011 2:00 a.m.

I love it when people agree with me!!!! Happy Dance

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    June 19, 2011 6:32 a.m.

Judging by the "pitty pat" reception for Hatch when he rose to speak at yesterday's state convention, it's pretty obvious how the delegates feel about him.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 19, 2011 6:45 a.m.

When he was first elected and for some time after that, I thought he was doing a great job. However, over time, I have seen his support for the principles underlying the Constitution begin to waiver and his voting record shows his wanderings into socialism. A personal encounter with him about 20 years ago when I lived in Utah regarding defending our borders opened my eyes that he was beginning to move away from vigorously defending our nation. Today, the Invasion continues and our military is not here to defend the homeland. Part of my disagreement with him was that he did not think the military should be used to defend our borders and enforce our immigration laws! I guess we only have a large standing army so we can defend some other countries borders?

Sen. Hatch has been there too long and its time for him to go. Thank you for your service. You have done much good but are drifting and its time to say Good-bye!

• RarelyMakeHistory Highland, UT
    June 19, 2011 6:46 a.m.

The only number that matters in this poll is the number from Primary likely voters. That's just poll taking 101. Primary voters are going to decide who wins in the Senate race. The fact of the matter it is too early to say whether this poll is accurate, no one is really paying attention to either side and won't until next Spring and Summer. It's anyone's game.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 19, 2011 7:32 a.m.

he should of been replaced along time ago

• Tom Smith Sandy, UT
    June 19, 2011 7:33 a.m.

With this attitude, it is time for Hatch to go. "I'm not some little pitty pat guy. I'm not some little weak person. I'm a strong man who is going to run on his record, which is a good record."

Frankly, Hatch continues to provide me with assurances on critical issues when I talk to him, and then votes the opposite way.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2011 7:37 a.m.

What a scary thought for Utah having Mike Lee and Jason Chaffetz as our Senators!

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 19, 2011 7:43 a.m.

Replace the words Senator Orrin Hatch with the word Republicans and it would be more accurate.

• Navyvet taylorsville, utah
    June 19, 2011 7:53 a.m.

If the alternatived to Hatch is Jason Chaffetz my vote would be for Hatch every time. I haven't seen much out of Chaffetz except a penchant for making talking big and embarassing himself.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    June 19, 2011 8:06 a.m.

Senator Hatch: You're a great man and a great senator. Why don't you show how great a man you really are. Know when it's time to make a graceful exit. Seniority is important. But, you need to know when it's time to pass the baton.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2011 8:34 a.m.

"...Once voters start paying attention..."

They are...

Buh-bye.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 19, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I always vote for the person - and usually Libertarian,
    But until I know who's running....
    For now, Put me down for "Definetly - Matheson."

• rightascension Provo, UT
    June 19, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Since 1977 two senators in the other seat. 7 presidents, 6 governors, 4 popes, one Hatch. Utah has plenty of men and women who would make a good senator. We need a new senator who will take at most three terms.

• duck Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2011 9:25 a.m.

We "Utah Republicans" are myopic! Regardless of what our opinions are about Hatch on certain specific issues, he's still a conservative on most issues if you look at his overall record and he'll still preserve our Utah values. We stand to lose much more than we'll gain if such a respected Senator is dumped! Whether we like it or not, we need someone in the Senate who can be persuasive--yes, even reach across the isle--to get things done. Senator Hatch has that ability and nobody in this state presently has the influence to do it better.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 19, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Orrin's time as a senator has just about run out. We need to thank him for the good things he did, not remind him of the bad, and then replace him. Who ever replaces Senator Hatch will be like a fresh breeze that is a welcome change.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 19, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Senority isn't the only reason to support Hatch. He's often pointing in the right direction. However, lately, he seems to be pointing a little too far to the new tea party. Come back to reality Senator.

• evensteven Sandy, UT
    June 19, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Hatch's "support" of our democratic process is openly revealed in his plan to get his own supporter elected as delegates. Delegates are elected to represent their precincts, their neighbors, NOT the candidate. Its one thing to encourage them to attend their caucus but unless they disclose their intent to vote for Hatch at convention prior to being elected as delegates, it is a blatant manipulation of the process.

As to the seniority question, Hatch's get Utah virtually nothing. He has become so entrenched in DC that most of his actions actually hurt us. On issue after issue, he ls late to the party, then has to run to find the front of the parade and pretend to lead. Hatch was great in the Reagan years but has coasted since Clinton was elected.

It is actually sad to see him age like this. He made a game effort at convention but it is clear he has lost at least a step. If he retires, he becomes a hero. If he loses at convention, he becomes a joke. If he wins re-election, age will make him an embarassment.

Please, Mr. Hatch, retire.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    June 19, 2011 10:00 a.m.

I weould like to see Senator Hatch show me where he has introduced or co-authored legislation or supported legislation to outlaw any vote on a bill, which has not been read before the entire Senate. I would like to see what legistlation or proposal's he has made to change the cornyism prevalent in the senate. I would like to see his vote or legislation requiring Congress to follow the same rules his constituents must follow and accept the same medical plan as his constituents. I would like to see what legislation he has authored or supported requiring our borders to be sealed to illegals, regardless of country. I would like to see what legislation he has authored or supported requiring the USA to be independent of foreign oil producters by drilling more on our on shores. With our ingenuity and expertise we can become independent.

If Hatch has done none of the above then he has become part of the problem. Ity shouldn't take 36 years to correct a problem.

P.S. Anyone who can call the late Senator Ted Kennedy one of his good friends, then I have serious doubts about his ability to make wise choices.

• mine Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2011 10:12 a.m.

C'mon Huntsman, this is where you need to be.

• Once Upon A Time Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 19, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Orrin is borin, time to retire.

• moonman American Fork, UT
    June 19, 2011 11:56 a.m.

The problem is that if we vote him out, Utah doesn't have the power in Washington that we would have with him. That is a problem with our political system that he hasn't tried to fix. I think that we need to get someone fresh in there and we can live with the consequences. I really think Hatch is out of touch with the rest of us.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 19, 2011 12:39 p.m.

This seniority system is merely a ploy to keep the incumbents in power. Why should any state wield power over other states because they keep electing the same person? Look at the power Byrd had because West Virginia kept electing him. Sure he brought a lot of pork to his state, but at what price to the rest of us?

• just thinking about it west valley city, UT
    June 19, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Do we really power from Washington? RE- Electing Mr. Hatch will bring pork to Utah? Do we need it?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 19, 2011 1:29 p.m.

I think that for so long there was this fear that if we let a seasoned person go, then we don't have anyone there for our states. Well, I think that most people are tired of the "good ole boys" and are trying to get new blood in there. Years ago when I lived in Utah, I was not wanting Hatch anymore, and yet I would think, well, he is a Sr Senator, so how much land in Utah now belongs to the feds?

• chase SL Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2011 1:58 p.m.

I don't think these polls should deter Senator Hatch. Sure it won't be a cake walk, but he still has to be considered the favorite going into 2012. I'm voting for him. He's doing a great job.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    June 19, 2011 4:18 p.m.

How about replacing Hatch with Huntsman?

Much better than Chaffetz.

• CJ Murray, UT
    June 19, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Please,,, anybody but Jim Matheson! The last thing we need is to promote a liberal congressman to Senator.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 19, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Hatch continues to have my vote. We definetly need his power on committees.

It is fine to say that we should have term limits, but until there are term limits I want the man with power and experience representing my state.

• Mark Green Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Dropping Hatch would be a classic example of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Do you the liberals in Congress need to go? Yes. Do we need to oust everyone regardless of whether or not they have helped or hurt the situation? Of course not. People should remember that even the best politicians can't score victories when they are on the minority side of the aisle.

• Charityalways Centerville, UT
    June 19, 2011 10:57 p.m.

I have some pretty good reasons for not liking or supporting Hatch. The funny thing is, the few things I like about him are the ones that apparently drive the tea party crazy. I wish Hatch would be a real hero of the people and go for the majority of the Republican Party even in this state that is much more moderate rather than trying to pander to the most extreme activists making all the noise and controlling the caucuses and conventions (and legislature) on the extreme right. The problem is it is hard to stir up moderates to get involved like the more partisan interests. But if an inter-party fight helps Matheson become our new Senator to restore a little political balance in this state's delegation, all the better. Matheson might as well go for it as the state legislature will attempt to jerrymander him out of his chance for re-election to Congress.

• LeDoc SLC, UT
    June 20, 2011 12:11 a.m.

Everything has it's time...the people have spoken

• Rich2Rags KAYSVILLE, UT
    June 20, 2011 12:42 a.m.

I can't see removing him right now. I would like to see him go another term and then retire. Heck, maybe if he can even just get through another two as the Chairman, then he could turn it over to someone else like Huntsman.

Where has all the sensibility in this party gone?

• SamESmall Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 7:19 a.m.

We finally have the opportunity to have a finance committee chairman who can realistically push thru a balanced budget amendment and we want to give that up? Why?

We have the opportunity to have a finance committee chairman who can defund ObamaCare and we want to give that up? Why?

We have a Congressman who finally was made a sub committee chairman in the House and we want to give that up? Why?

If we replace Hatch with anyone then Olympia Snowe will become chair of the Finance Committee--she is the one who let ObamaCare out of committee in the Senate and put it up for a vote on the Senate floor! RINO Snowe cannot be counted on for any vote in the Senate and we want to give her the power to set the agenda. Right, that is an excellent idea--NOT!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 20, 2011 10:48 a.m.

The way this poll looks, especially the first slide, it appears that this is a good poll for Hatch and not so good for Chaffetz. Never underestimate the power of a decent incumbant. The same forces that got rid of Bennett are not in play with Hatch. His age is more of an issue with me. We should be able to find a better candidate than Chaffetz. If it comes down to Hatch and Jason, I'll vote Hatch. Chaffetz only seems to want to get his face on TV. Hatch as done an overall good job over the years and still gets high marks for his voting from all the conservative vote counters.

• Wynand Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 11:01 a.m.

We need to keep Senator Hatch. I know people don't like to hear it, but sometimes seniority is all us smaller western states have at a fighting chance back in DC.

• ReaganFan Midvale, Utah
    June 20, 2011 1:33 p.m.

There was a comment posted earlier on this thread, saying that Senator Hatch's reelection efforts would amount to a "blatant manipulation of the process." So, in the interest of being consistent, would it be fair to describe the movement that unseated former Senator Bennett also as a "blatant manipulation of the process." Didn't they game the system by disproportionately turning their people out?

Furthermore, folks who plan on opposing Senator Hatch because of their gripes with the system are approaching this election from a normative standpoint. If you want to change the system, that's fine. But, why do it at the cost of disadvantaging Utah in Washington? Do you think Secretary Salazar would have rescinded the "Wild Lands" Policy without Senator Hatch there to put pressure on him? Do you think Utah would still have Hill AFB without Senator Hatch fighting to keep it? You're better off trying to change the system through other avenues. Refusing to renominate Senator Hatch will only allow the Obama Administration to further ramrod this state.

• nick Provo, UT
    June 20, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I worked hard as a volunteer as a BYU student for Orrin in 1976. I was a strong supporter for a long time, but I've gradually become lukewarm. Power and the proximity to power corrupts. Even the best of people after 36 years in DC are seduced by the city. Being part of the DC culture for that long causes elected officials to fear the opinion of their colleagues more than the opinion of their constituents. Setting personalities, ideology, and seniority aside, it is simply time for Orrin to go. If Orrin is reelected next year, he will serve for 42 years until he is 84. That is simply too long.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    June 20, 2011 3:39 p.m.

@Nick: You hit the nail on the head.

I have no doubt that at his core Hatch is a great man. But no person should be in a position of power for that long.

• FutureMan2030 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 4:44 p.m.

I'm sick and tired of hearing that Senator Hatch somehow doesn't follow the constitution. All I hear is constitution this and constitution that...freedom this, freedom that. STOP STEALING GLEN BECKS SOUND BITES EVERYONE! What does any of that even mean anyway!?!? Senator Hatch has fought for Utah and for conservative rights for the last 34 years. Is it true that he's voted for a few bills that I haven't liked. Yes. And so will Senator Lee or anyone else we replace Hatch with if we give them enough time. Senator Hatch is about to become Chairman of the Finance Committee. HELLO EVERYONE..WAKE UP! Get off your high horses and realize that taking Hatch out of the game at this point will have disastrous consequences, not only for Utah but for this country. Oh..and one more thing -Someone exclaimed over the pulpit at the State Convention that we (Utah) are making a stand and taking our country back. LOL. Utah will not be taking anything back with only 2 years of experience and seniority. Keep Hatch in!

• williary Kearns, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:45 a.m.

How does Utah politics become even more of a laughing stock?

Mike Lee and Jason Chaffetz as your Senators!

It's that simple.

This is where Hunstman should be getting his foot in the national political door.

• UtahGal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 10:40 a.m.

We can all see how much Sen Lee has done for Utah. Please anybody but Jason C. I am not a fan of the GOP but I would vote for Orrin just to keep Jason out. People need to realize how much a Sr Senator like OH can do for Utah and how many years it takes to get that Seniority. Lee is still looking for his office and will do little if anything but be a rubber stamp.
    Jason!!! Please no, anybody but him.

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    June 21, 2011 12:28 p.m.

I hate to lost Hatch's seniority and experience too. However, I firmly believe that the ONLY way for a country to continue to progress is to refresh it's leadership. That's why I believe there should be term limits for congressional members. I think the term for House Reps should be extended to 4 years and limited to 3 terms and Senators should be held to 2 terms. Frankly, I don't believe the Supreme Court should be a lifetime appointment either. I think by limiting how long any one congressional member can be in office, it would motivate some of them to work harder, and foster more cooperation. If all these congresspeople knew they were on a time limit, they'd have to work together to get their bills passed and wouldn't waste so much time playing politics.

You've served well Senator Hatch, but it's time for some fresh eyes!

• phillyfanatic LONG BEACH, CA
    June 21, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Perhaps it is time for Orrin to go. But I do know. The voters better not put the Dem in to replace him because America does not need anymore leftist Dems to support the socialist horror of the Obama regime. Chaf would be far better for Utah and America. No Dem added to the Reid majority will aid America either domestically or internationally as to our economy, jobs, CARE, energy policies, illegals, Mexican cartels, Iran or Islamofascism. Dems keep dissing our American heritage, history and values and we have had too much of that from them for decades and I am 72 so I remember all of these people. Though I am a retired polysci teacher and pastor, I am not in my cups nor am I a blank slate. Americans just have to remember what this 2.9 yrs. has already been about to see why Bama must go and the Pub Senate candidate must win.

• North Salt Lake North Salt Lake, UT
    June 21, 2011 1:34 p.m.

To Senator Hatch: Thank you for your service. Now is the time to gracefully exit. Why can't you see that?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 21, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Re: williary | 9:45 a.m. June 21, 2011
    "How does Utah politics become even more of a laughing stock?"

States like California, New York and New Jersey are too busy trying to find ways to finance the interest on their growing state deficits to spend much time laughing about Utah and our balanced budget.

Personally I laugh every time I hear about how California wanted to borrow against future lottery revenue earnings to pay yesterday's bills. They have no idea how they'll pay tomorrow's bills.

The joke isn't on Utah.

• Clydesdale Tooele, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Not one person they've listed is worthy to be our senator. Looks like I may be forced to run.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    June 21, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Let's be real and not too emotional.
    1. Yes, Orrin Hatch has been in too long.
    but...
    2. If the Republicans win the Senate, and right now that is likely, then dismantling the regulations and stifling Obamanomics and Obamacare is their most important task.
    3. All dismantling of Obamacare will start in the Senate Finance Committee.
    4. If Jason Chaffetz were to defeat Hatch, Olympia Snow would be the Chair of that committee... and she's the most liberal member of the Republican Party.
    5. If Hatch wins he will be the Chair.

Elections are always about picking your poisons. For the evangelicals they are going to have to decide if their hatred for Mormons (Romney) is greater than their hatred of socialism/Obamanomics.

For Utahns it will be do you want to dismantle Obama's mess with Hatch at the helm or Olympia Snowe?

I wish Orrin would win, sit on the committee long enough to trash Obamacare, etc., then resign and let someone else continue.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 23, 2011 3:10 a.m.

I have been out of the country on family vacation now for about a month with little connectivity to the internet, and I can't even tell you how refreshing it was to be away from all the angry speak found in American politics.

It amazes me to no end that people have already decided who they will vote against without know who their replacement vote would be for. How very sad is that.

• Beenlistening CENTRAL, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Orrin Hatch blocked me from his Twitter account after I disagreed with him on his voting record. Then the GOP say that "the people" all agree with them. They must think that because they block everyone who doesn't agree with them.

• imasrfn Saint George, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Orrin Hatch was elected to office in 1973 the same year that the Department of Energy was created to lessen our dependence on foreign oil.
    In 1973 30% of our oil consuption was foreign oil.
    Today 70% of our oil consumption is foreign oil. The budget for the Department of Energy is 350 billion dollars with over 65,00 employees and 100,000 contract workers.
    I wonder what Orrin has to say about his efforts to to eliminate this useless agency? or what about doing away the IRS? or what about Foreign Aid? Farm subsidies? Tort reform? congressional and senate term limits? Etc., Etc., Etc.......???

• Vaughn J Kearns, UT
    June 3, 2012 10:00 a.m.

If the poll included all Utah voters then 25% were probably democrats, thus for republicans about 59 % think Hatch should stay Hey That is the percentage that thought so in the convention. The media strikes again with incorrect analysis of statistics.