Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette wows Sacramento Kings with quickness, defense

Comments

• gchris rock springs, wy
    June 11, 2011 10:04 p.m.

It's fairly obvious that all the Player of the Year awards went to the right guy. Sooner or later, Knight and Walker will have to guard Jimmer. Good luck on that.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    June 11, 2011 11:18 p.m.

I am telling you if the Jazz get this kid he will be the answer to what this team really needs. The problem he won't be around at 12. Walker and Knight don't want any part of this kid why would they? They don't want to show people that he belongs way higher up in the draft. He should be ahead of them in the draft and they know it!

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    June 11, 2011 11:25 p.m.

BYU needs to connect with Lee Taft ASAP. If he can design a strength and speed set of routines for basketball players and maybe other athletes, BYU would benefit greatly. With the influx of 6'10"-200 lb. players coming in, the stickman type of kid, the program could certainly use a method for adding shoulders and upper body muscle mass. Jimmer has shoulders and strength, most defiantly.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    June 11, 2011 11:46 p.m.

The Jazz should take him at 3. If they don't, whoever they take at 3 will not be as good as Jimmer and the Jazz will regret it for the remainder of Jimmer's career.

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2011 12:33 a.m.

I have nothing against Jimmer but seriously, look at the sources. His uncle? He has every reason to talk Jimmer up and what a Provo native saw other people saying or not saying to a player isn't going to hold up in court. The Maloofs, barely able to keep a team in Sacramento, are not basketball experts at all, only rich.

They are nice stories, but its grain of salt time.

I hope the Jimmer has great success but lets not claim the kid can walk on water just yet.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 12, 2011 12:39 a.m.

I thought I heard somewhere before from some people that Jimmer could not play defense. I guess they were wrong. Apparently the NBA thinks so, and if he is good at D then the Jazz should use their number 3 pick and draft Jimmer.

If Jimmer continues to impress with quickness and defense, he may not be around at 3.

• MPetrie Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 12, 2011 12:42 a.m.

I agree AZJazzFan... Jimmer is a special talent. You simply cannot find someone who is as committed to improving and getting better than Jimmer very often. The Jazz really don't need more size. With Jefferson, Favors, Millsap, future reception of Tomic, etc... we don't need another big. But we do need a better backup point guard. Jimmer is proving he can out-compete his competition and he can definitely out shoot them on a consistent basis. I think Jimmer will be off the board by 12. Bringing someone who brings star power AND a great skill that has nowhere to but up to go, why pass him up at 3?

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    June 12, 2011 12:48 a.m.

I've appreciated watching Jimmer, but now I'm starting to think that even I haven't realized some of his greatness because he's been playing in my back yard so to speak. I'm realizing that the Jazz need to trade their No. 3 pick for a proven big guy and then trade up to No. 6 or maybe No. 5 to get Jimmer. I won't be a bit surprised if Jimmer ends up the steal of the draft. I'm not sure Jimmer has a weakness other than his height, but when I think of some of the greatest point guards in the past 30 years, he's probably right at average, which is 6'2" in shoes, and he's a bit heavier and stronger than the average starting point guard last year (2011 average was 6'2", 185#). If the Jazz don't get Jimmer, I might finally spring for the NBA package on sat TV.

• gogogoff Orem, UT
    June 12, 2011 1:16 a.m.

I don't want Jimmer to go the the Jazz, I want them to remember, THEY PASSED HIM UP! every time he drops 20+ on them in ESA and the crowd chants YOU GOT JIMMERED!

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2011 4:52 a.m.

Jimmer's workout with the Jazz will be BIG! If He wows the Jazz clowns, they will take him at #3, guaranteed! There is no way they pass on him with all the hype He has been getting so far. If anyone ever fit what the Jazz stand for and believe in, it's Jimmer! Hard working, loves Utah, and Gangsta game without the gangsta look and attitude.

If Jimmer impresses in his Jazz workout, Jazz shocks the NBA world and takes Jimmer number three! Kind of like when they took a kid out of Gonzaga over 20 years ago.

Personally, I would love to see Jimmer play for the Lakers. I hope they make some moves to get him.

GO LAKERS!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    June 12, 2011 7:00 a.m.

Nice work outs for Jimmer. Glad to see he's wowing the teams he's playing for. He's an automatic first rounder, that is awesome enough. The team that takes him is going to get an individual who had to be guarded by opponents with help from over half their team, in the NBA he won't have to deal with that as much. He's is going to have a great career.

re: not so fast. His uncle isn't the source of the article. C'mon, lighten up, no reason not to get excited for one of the best players ever to have played in Utah. Enjoy life a little.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    June 12, 2011 8:35 a.m.

@Not so fast.

"Wow, pass the Kool Aid, readers here want to put this kid in the hall of fame today!"

No, I like to listen to those who know this kid and I am not talking about the so called experts either. I like to hear from those who played with and against him, both in college and the pros, and they all say the same thing that he is the real deal and that he is a nightmare to defend this type of stuff goes on and on about him. When you really want to know listen to the real experts, those who play the game!

June 12, 2011 9:23 a.m.

As I watch and read about all the workouts, here in the US and over in Europe, non of the prospects are killing it like Jimmer is. Even those of us who are Jimmer fans are probably underestimating him. Offensively his is pretty unstopable and athletically he is showing he can do what it takes to play D. Jimmer plays the game smart, he uses stop and go, hesitation, change of direction, crossover or double crossover and he's in control the whole time. I hope the Jazz find some way of getting Jimmer, he'll be worth it. To me he is better than Knight and I'd take Jimmer over Knight. Think of Stockton, he wasn't the most athletic, he was athletic enough though and Jimmer is the same, Stock played smart, Jimmer can do the same and has the attitude to be great.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 12, 2011 9:24 a.m.

I think the Kings at pick #7 are the first team you have to worry about so instead of using #3 on him, maybe try to swap the #3 pick and maybe CJ for #6 and #18 with Wizzards who would love to move down to get Kanter, then use the #6 on Fredette and then you still get someone good, possible Brooks or Singleton #12 and you could go after a player with hugh down the road upside like Lucas Nogueira with the #18.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    June 12, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Taft isn't just an uncle, he is a world renowned speed and conditioning coach who has trained the best. I think those in the know will take his remarks very seriously.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    June 12, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Agree with shaybo.. Try to trade down a little and get an extra pick for a young, athletic wing (Ronnie Brewer-type) and use the 6th or whatever to get Jimmer.
    But if not, Jimmer will be the 3rd best player, at least, in this draft, so take him 3rd.

• LKA Tremonton, UT
    June 12, 2011 10:11 a.m.

All of you should be aware that Darius Morris 6-6 pure point guard beat Jimmer bad in the workout with the Knicks.. So says the media. The workout on the 15th should be quite interesting.. For the next eleven days we will hear truth and talk with the media. Everyone is trying to sell their man. Jazz will make the right choice..

June 12, 2011 10:13 a.m.

If the Jazz aren't going to use the #3 pick on a big, I think Shaybo's idea would be a good one, if Wash. would make that trade, I'm not convinced Knight is any better than Jimmer, I'd rather the Jazz give Wash. #3 & Bell for the 6th & 18th then take Jimmer at 6, then, Burk,or Singleton or BB at 12 and Brooks or Harris at 18. Nogueira isn't showing very well over in Europe from what I've read, his attitude is questionable. L Nugueira measured out at 6'9 barefoot, not as tall as thought.
    None of the incoming guards have Jimmers skill set, I like Burks handles and athleticism but he can't shoot, (yet), Jimmer has much more of a complete package. Knight and Walker are both good athletes and have good skills but not as polished as Jimmer.
    I have no idea what the Jazz brass are thinking and how players over in Europe are impressing or not impressing them , from what I've read no one is shinning over there. If we can't get Kanter or Williams with #3 then trade and get Jimmer.

• jp3 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2011 10:47 a.m.

I watched most of his games this past season--I didn't see quickness then--why should I believe this propaganda that he's suddenly become a speed demon? The true point guard on BYU, Jackson Emery, was quicker than Fredette. Fredette is slow, he displayed it game after game against MWC opponents. He's a great shooter, of course, but quick he is not.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    June 12, 2011 11:14 a.m.

whatever

• COOL HAND LUKE Old Ephraims Grave, UT
    June 12, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Can't wait for the workout coming up next week. It will be good to measure up the three against each other. All of these hopefuls have +\-'s. Walker, is probably the most polished PG(see stats) Knight needs way more time, and for the 12 pick Burks, he's good but can't shoot, not the right guy for us, we don't need another project. All of the info coming in on J'ma will make the decision that much tougher for Jazz. I've said it all along J'ma wont be there at 12. Shaybo hit it on the head.........unless of course the Jazz want to go big at 3. The Jazz are good poker players, and will play their cards close to the vest

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    June 12, 2011 1:15 p.m.

I can find no evidence that Darius Morris got the better of Jimmer at the Knicks workout. What are you basing this on? A tweet from Mark Spears? Come on, you got to do better than that. What references do you have?

According to ESPN's Chad Ford, " Some very good decisions in 2-on-2 by both Jimmer and (Darius) Morris. They think Jimmer has bball IQ to be a PG in the NBA.

Sounds like it was (Klay) Thompson-Jimmer that stood out. Both shot the lights out Im told. No surprise there.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 12, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Right jp3 that's why it was so easy to guard Fredette in college, cause he had no quickness, you should have tried watching him without your Utah Ute eyes, maybe you would have seen him overcoming the 2 and sometimes 3 defenders that were always trying to stay up with him.

June 12, 2011 2:12 p.m.

JImmer does well in the work outs. That is no surprise.

If you want to know how he will do in the NBA look at his game films against Leonard of SDSU who will be a top 5 or 6 pick and Jacob Pullen of KSU. Jacob is as quick as anybody in the draft.

The game films are a much better indication of NBA ability than the workouts.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    June 12, 2011 2:21 p.m.

If you say so Dick!!! Sacramento hasn't seen "speed" or "d" over the years, their program is in shambles!

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 12, 2011 2:24 p.m.

he hasnt even played in the NBA and some of you have him retired and in the hall of fame.. hes not that good and he is definatly over rated

June 12, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Suggesting Jimmer is not quick is nonsense. He is every bit as quick/fast as DWill.

The Jazz are not giving up the 3 pick. They might move up a few spots with the 12 IF forced. They would like to have Jimmer BUT Burks shoots better than Brewer and Thompson plays D better than Korver. So if they miss Jimmer they will still get a very good SG/SF.

CO ran a strange weave offense with their wings so Burks did not get good outside shots and his 3 point % reflects the offense they ran. He is shooting well in the workouts and it is clear he can shoot better than his college stats.

Thompson like Jimmer was the primary scorer and did not play D. Now in the workouts he is playing decent D.

Jimmer still has to demonstrate he can run an traditional offense well. He should be able to do it but he is just as unproven as Knight at running the Jazz offense since BYU did not have a regular offense.

Jimmer is going to do well. Is he the best option for the Jazz?

IF they can get him at 12.

• G-Swenz Providence, UT
    June 12, 2011 3:23 p.m.

You know, I'm sure after D-Rose, D-Will, CP3, Westbrook, Rondo, heck even Devin Harris break his ankles a few times, our expectations of Jimmer will be a little more realistic.

I hope he does well. He is a great scorer. But lets see him get to an All-Star game before we annoint him the Messiah.

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    June 12, 2011 3:51 p.m.

No one is annointing Jimmer as the Messiah. No one knows for sure if he will be a starter, bench player, a star, or bust.

However, it does seem apparent that his draft stock is rising somewhat. He does seem to be performing better than many critics had suggested. My guess is that Jimmer will struggle initially, as most rookies do, but will get better with each passing year as he continues to work on his game.

So, let's just enjoy this draft speculation. We will see on the 23rd where he ends up. But the jury probably won't be in on Jimmer's NBA success for a few years yet.

June 12, 2011 4:13 p.m.

As a PG Jimmer should be some place between Price and DWill.

He should shoot and run the offense better than Price. He should defend as well or better than Price who gambles a lot. He should shoot as well or better than DWill and might run the team as well.

As an SG/combo guard it is harder to peg him. However, he should be someplace between Willie Green of SA to Felton of Denver to Jet Terry of DAL to Monte Ellis of GS.

Given the number of prolific SGs in the league who are 6'1"-6'3" Jimmer should have no problems playing SG.

The height argument does not prevent him from playing SG effectively.

• LKA Tremonton, UT
    June 12, 2011 5:15 p.m.

@Realistic: Either on Hoopsworld or nbadraft.net. It said that Morris played so well that his stock will rise out of the Knicks range.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 12, 2011 5:45 p.m.

i agree with shaybo...but if one stock rises...im sure another one will drop....Jimmer, Donatas and Singleton if possible...i think Biyombos stock would fall...if we do get kanter...why not trade up with the 12th pick to get jimmer?...12th pick +CJ for the 6th pick...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 12, 2011 5:55 p.m.

I sure hope...we dont end up saying..."i told you so"

June 12, 2011 6:07 p.m.

We have been doing this draft analysis now for nearly two months and there isn't alot more to talk about. Every little tid bit of info is gobbled up and enjoyed but we really don't know much. The Jazz FO (KOC & staff) are very tight lipped and don't let out anything as to their preferences. The only things we see are peoples opinions and the so called experts predictions. As the players perform in their workouts it gives us more info to speculate about but I don't think we know any more now than we did two months ago.
    I have always liked Jimmer but because he's a home town boy and white, I've probably not wanted to over do my hopes or predictions for him and therefore have kept him down alittle but as he continues to do better and after watching his compitions videos over and over, I don't have a problem saying he's as good as Knight or Walker and probably better. Those who aren't fans will probably goo hoo that he could be as good but the proof is in the pudding. Watch as see.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    June 12, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Many ute fans, out of hatred for the Y, speculate that Jimmer is overrated. But with real proof, we know both Bogut and A Smith were extremely overrated. Give the kid 3 years in the NBA and then everyone can talk. Stockton was not a starter his rookie year, barely played. We'll see who was smart and who was dumb.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    June 12, 2011 7:12 p.m.

What does Jimmer have that no one else has in this draft? Just think about it. Next question, Name five pure shooters in the NBA today. Defense is a different animal in the NBA. The concept is called team defense or help defense. Notice what Dallas has been doing. Lets revisit the original question. Jimmer is a pure shooter, no one else in the Draft is a pure shooter.
    Jeff

• localblue Sandy, UT
    June 12, 2011 7:30 p.m.

A lot of these comments are crazy and drinking the kool-aid. You are commenting after reading only positive articles on Jimmer. Read them all, not just the positive ones. A lot of GMs still think he has weaknesses AFTER the combine and AFTER seeing him in the workouts. We skip over those comments and just go for the articles written in the hometown Desnews. When you look back at past drafts the best picks are first those who are not only great basketball players but also great athletes, Jordan, Wade, Rose, Kobe, etc., all of whom were not first picks and were passed up for big guys. The next best guys in the drafts are usually the bigs, guys who are fundamentally sound but also have size. And then third are those who are hard workers, fundamentally sound and know the game, i.e, Jimmer. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be the next Stockton or DWill but with the 3 pick you definitely want to try to get somebody who will be more than Jimmer. After all, Jordan was a 3 pick.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 12, 2011 7:31 p.m.

If the Jazz get a big with #3 Jimmer is the best choice at #12. I doubt he will still be there so it may be a moot point but there will be some teams who will wish they had drafted him instead of whoever they chose. You can't teach heart and Jimmer has enough for any 2 others in this draft.

June 12, 2011 8:09 p.m.

localblue: I don't know how good Jimmer will end up being, like many have said, he may be a role player or he could be an all star, time will tell, but I don't know where you are coming from with your comments that GM's are talking about his weaknesses, I have read pretty much everything I can find and I haven't read anything negative or complaining about Jimmers weaknesses. Jimmer definitely has weaknesses and that is not what I'm disputing, I'm wondering where your coming up with comments from GM's AFTER Jimmers workouts that talk about his weaknesses, I haven't read any. Where are you reading these comments.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    June 12, 2011 10:07 p.m.

I'm still thinking top 5 for Jimmer. I wonder how well he'll do at the Jazz workout on Wednesday. That's the real test and also if B. Knight will show.

If anything else, this article shows exactly how stupid the Kings are.
    Jazz scouts do research on this and they know that Kings are picking Jimmer at 7.
    But when Jazz had a workout with Kanter, nobody knows how it went so nobody can say if Jazz will pick him or not which gives the Jazz great trading advantage over teams.

• Rock Calgary, Alberta
    June 12, 2011 10:39 p.m.

#3?, Jazz?, Wow, I just might be persuaded to watch NBA this year.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    June 12, 2011 10:40 p.m.

Well, the Jazz will pass on him, because, as they say, his "novelty" will wear off...yep...just like the Jazz...misread players they draft...they'll end up with another loser they'll trade in two years.

Jazz...someone up there is listening to too much rap music...

As long as they have the current management...don't expect much.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    June 12, 2011 11:23 p.m.

"he hasn't even played in the NBA and some of you have him retired and in the hall of fame.. hes not that good and he is definitely over rated"

@gizmo33:

You are the only one who mentioned the "hall of fame". Over rated?? - you have proven your credibility. (utah didn't have a very good year, did they.)

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 12, 2011 11:52 p.m.

What counts in an NBA draftee?

> Produce sooner than later?
    > Can score?
    > Can rebound (bigs)?
    > Can assist (guards)?
    > Can defend their position?

So how do Williams, Kanter, Knight, Walker, and Jimmer stack up here?

1 = not so much

Results:

Williams = 11
    Kanter = 8
    Knight = 11
    Kemba = 12
    Jimmer = 12

What this tells me is that Kanter should NOT be picked at 3. He has less to offer overall for such a high draft pick.

It also tells me that Jimmer's just as viable at 3 as the others are.

Interesting that Kemba comes out tied with Jimmer, yet Knight and Williams are considered better picks at 3 than them. Sure, there are other factors, but I think this little exercise does indicate that Kanter isn't a good 3 pick.

June 13, 2011 12:22 a.m.

Silas claims that CHA is looking for 3 point shooting to open up the inside.

Larry Brown like Sloan did not utilize the 3 and choked off his inside game. The comments by Silas are pointed AND very clear. That is very DUMB basketball. I do not care if Brown won a championship and Sloan is HOF. The approach is still dumb.

Silas is looking for 3 point shooting and Jimmer is a prime candidate.

In the list of top 22 Gs in the league only 2 or 3 are taller than 6'3". Almost all of the 28 PGs are 6'3" or smaller. The pure SGs 11 are taller. BUT you do not have to be taller than 6'3" to play SG well in this league.

Biyombo hurt his lotto status by missing most of his jump shots inside of 10 feet. PAINFUL was the word used to describe his workout. FES is better than this guy. The Jazz need to run from the BB bandwagon. That means Jimmer is jumping him as BB drops.

June 13, 2011 12:37 a.m.

@What I think you are under rating Kanter. He is a consensus top 5 pick for a lot of reasons. He is just as quick and fast as Williams and bigger. He probably is better than Williams but there is NO college footage on him. Kanter can also shoot from the outside. He is going to be better than Memo. Kanter will produce sooner, shoot better and assist better than you rate him.

You can't teach size and playing him with AJ and Favors in a 3 big rotation would be killer 2 years from now. That would rival the Laker front line and would be better than DAL or SA.

The Jazz are not taking Jimmer at 3. Unless something changes CHA is taking Jimmer at 9. They could take Thompson if the Jazz get lucky. Or the Jazz might trade.

June 13, 2011 1:02 a.m.

If the Jazz have AJ, Favors and Kanter for a front line rotation to go with Hayward at SG and AK/Millsap or trade/draft at SF and a decent PG and bench they will be one of the top teams in the league.

The Jazz should have all of the pieces to contend after NEXT years draft.

BUT they could trade Harris or Millsap for a very good player or two. They might move Harris on draft night for another high pick and have Watson run the team in the lockout year. That saves salary and gives Kanter/Favors time to develop (keep Millsap).

TOR needs an experienced PG and leadership. Harris may be a good fit for them? They might also get Derozan back for Harris and move Hayward to SF. Or if they really want to they could have TOR grab Jimmer or Knight/Kemba (if available)in return for Harris.

DET might be a trading partner for Harris for the 8th pick (Jimmer) and a player.

KOC has options. He has a great plan. This is the first time I have seen Utah actually go after enough talent to win.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 13, 2011 5:05 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

what is your basis from your scoring?...yourself?...then that nullifies it...since you are biased with jimmer...im not saying not draft jimmer...im actually in favor of it...but you should have references...to even make your point count....as far as im concerned...if we get Kanter and Jimmer that would be great...

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 13, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Jp3 - did you not read the article and just skip directly to the comment boards? It said Jimmer was tested, and did great on the speed test. That means this was proven.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 13, 2011 10:03 a.m.

@ Bugoff,

I'm not saying that Kanter won't one day be a top big man in the NBA, just that he won't contribute all that soon due to his lack of experience.

Maybe he's a quick learner like you believe? Dunno.

I believe a 3rd pick should be for someone who can contribute sooner than later.

Thus, I believe Kanter is a good pick for a team that doesn't need outside shooting as badly as the Jazz do, or help at SF. Therefore, my desire for Williams (SF) or Jimmer (scoring) at 3.

I'd love to see the Jazz make a trade with someone like Harris or Miles and the 12th pick to get a pick above 7 to get maybe both Williams (3) and Jimmer (6 or better).

I don't think Jimmer will be passed up by Sacramento (or even Charlotte at 9, like you said).

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 13, 2011 10:06 a.m.

@ Kakashi,

My basis for scoring is just observing what most people are saying, and having watched enough on each of them, including combine stats and workout reports.

That doesn't nullify my ratings. Just did my homework as best I could for the time I have.

I'd like to see other commenters' take on THEIR numbers for these five players. I doubt the end result would be that different for Kanter, the main point of what I got from doing it.

It really started out as an exercise for myself. Then I decided to go ahead and post it.

And yes, I'd feel good about getting both Kanter (or Williams) and Jimmer, but not at the expense of Jimmer. I believe he'll contribute more and sooner than Kanter can, considering who the Jazz have on their team (a key issue).

June 13, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Bug, I have had Kanter on the top of my list for the very reasons you listed, WhatsInItForMe, is definitely underrating Kanter, Kanters biggist assest is his offense and he rates him a 1, shows his bias, and trying to manipulate his stats to support his opinion. All of these young rookies will take time to develop and produce and the situation they end up in team wise will depend on how fast they progress. My hope is that Favors, AJ & Kanter can be that 3 man rotation, that would be pretty formidable. Milsaps would have to be traded, unless he shows he can play the 3 better than I think he can. I would love to see the Jazz get Jimmer, I think he fills some definite needs the Jazz have.
    My top senerio would be for the Jazz to get Kanter and Jimmer, the way Jimmer is playing at the workouts is making that possibility less likely. I will keep hoping though. If we do take Kanter, the FO could be planning on moving Milsap or Big Al and that could bring in other players/or draftpicks.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    June 13, 2011 10:32 a.m.

the takeaway from this article...

Anyone who knows anything about basketball would take Jimmer no. 1 in the draft. If he goes 20, that only means there are 19 teams that don't have anyone in their organization that knows anything about basketball.

However biased and unrealistic this article is, Jimmer really will be fun to watch at the next level. Hope he can find some playing time.

June 13, 2011 10:34 a.m.

WhatsInItForMe: I don't necessarily disagree with you but having a chance to draft a big with a ton of talent and skills doesn't come around very often and so even though I love Jimmer and what he brings, I'd say we have to take a big (Kanter) at 3 over Jimmer. Remember, KOC said it's not what they will produce this year but in 3 yrs.
    KOC and staff are working real hard and I have faith they will make the right choice (I say that with a little trepidation). I didn't think Hayward was even in the conversation last year and yet when I looked closer at him, I was impressed as to why they chose him.
    My biggest concern and where I would have the biggest problem is if the Jazz drafted Knight at 3, I think Jimmer is better than Knight or Walker and will have a better career. Not many will agree with that but Jimmer is determined to prove people wrong and be the best, so far he has done a pretty good job of proving people wrong. I'm hoping the JazzFOsees his game and potential.

June 13, 2011 10:34 a.m.

There is talk of CHA taking Burks or Moti at 9. I doubt if SAC takes Jimmer. SI also speculates CHA will trade (9 & 19) up with MN to get Williams (2).

However, there is also a lot of talk about playoff teams trying to move up to get Jimmer. How high and how much they will pay remains to be seen.

I doubt if the Jazz would trade the 3 for 9 & 19. You use lotto picks to get stars. The Jazz do not need the 19. SI has the Jazz taking Kemba and Morris. I think a lot of mocks just plug in garbage on the Jazz to get the players they want to fall to the teams they want.

There were rumors of a SAC/Utah trade of the 3 pick, Bell and CJ for the 7th pick and Ty Evans or a 3 way with Evans, Thorton and the 7th for Harris and CJ to POR and 3rd, Fernandez and Oden to SAC. SAC wants Knight.

It sounds like KOC wrote those rumors. Getting Evans and/or Thorton for moving down 4 spots is a dream.

The Jazz have lots of options.

June 13, 2011 10:50 a.m.

I think Knight will be a better shooter and defender than Evans. However you could also get Vesley at 7 in addition to Evans and still have the 12 to add depth.

The Jazz need a couple of great players from the draft. One this year and one next. Volume is less important than getting the very best PG and SG/SF that they can. Or a game changing big.

It is about quality. For that reason I do not think they will trade.

This is a multi year rebuilding plan. Don't worry about immediate impact. The Jazz are not going to contend next year.

It is about getting the ideal players into the key positions. PG and PF have been the key positions followed by a wing who can shoot.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 13, 2011 11:21 a.m.

@ Captain L (10:09am),

I'm not biased against Kanter, other than I have yet to see how he'll be a contributor any time soon. Way too little experience to suddently blossom in the NBA.

Far too many players from high school or one year of college have failed to produce right away, yet many that waited until after their Jr or Sr year to go to the NBA have flourished quickly due to their "basketball maturity."

And no, I wasn't trying to make one player look better than another. If I had, I'd have not allowed Walker to score so high, as I don't think he's any where near as good as Jimmer. It just came out the way it did.

Like I'd said in another post, this started out as an exercise for my own information, and I was surprised when I added things up how much lower Kanter scored than the others.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    June 13, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Just trade both picks for young established players that have proven themselves and go after a free agent or two, because there are a few that are ballers. Forget this rookie crap, we have too many now.

June 13, 2011 11:24 a.m.

The Jazz are getting as much WP48 out of AJ/Millsap as they were out of Boozer/Okur. It is more balanced now as AJ/Millsap are about 15 and 15 where Boozer was 25 and Okur was 5.

The key problems lie in the loss of Korver, Mathews and Brewer. They have been replaced by Bell. The Jazz were a .500 team before Korver. They are worse now. Bell can't replace all 3.

Brewer could not shoot but he could slash as long as Korver could open things up.

The Jazz lost DWill and he has to be replaced 25+ WP48. Knight is the best candidate. They will lose AK 18-20 WP48. I do not know who they get to do that.

Hayward should replace Williams. Favors will replace Boozer in the long run.

PG, SF and one more wing who can shoot are crucial in the long run.

Improved D is also necessary.

BPA will allow the Jazz to trade for more picks and also the right players in the long run.

The key is to get the right players at each position. Sloan played a lot of people out of position.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 13, 2011 11:25 a.m.

@ Captain L (10:34am),

Guess we'll have to disagree on whether Kanter or Jimmer would mean more over time to the Jazz.

I feel the Jazz have a much greater need at PG than C/PF. Thus I'd choose Jimmer over Kanter.

Remember, the Jazz have a good lottery pick (hopefully) next year when there should be a much better selection of big men. I doubt any PG next year will wow the college scene the way Jimmer, Walker, and Knight did.

So, considering next year's draft, I'd go with the PG this year and C/PF next year, if it comes down to that. Ideal would be to get either Kanter or Williams AND Jimmer this year.

And, I agree that Jimmer is a better pick than Knight or Walker (at any pick).

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    June 13, 2011 11:30 a.m.

What I really like about Jimmer is his self motivation and discipline. He is humble enough to recognize he has some weaknesses and he went out and did something about it. We see a lot of players that are loaded with natural talent. But it is a rare thing to see that level of natural talent combined with the level of commitment to continuously improve that Jimmer brings to the table. And his will to defy critics and prove them wrong is almost Jordanesque.

I used to think that Jimmer was going to be an average coming off the bench in the NBA. Now I am starting to think he is going to be much more than that.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    June 13, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Best suggestions so far: Williams or Kanter AND Jimmer.

Get it done, Jazz. You owe us one after letting Matthews go.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    June 13, 2011 1:03 p.m.

One thing is certain: Any contender would salivate over Jimmer.

Would Jimmer have fit into last night's game?

The Mavs ran a zone.
    The Heat couldn't shoot.

Jimmer can do anything JJ Barea can do except speak Spanish.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    June 13, 2011 4:39 p.m.

What Uncle Taft is not telling the media is that Jimmer has been improving his quickness and vertical by wearing Shape-Ups when he's not on the court. A source close to me tells me that he even wears them to bed.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    June 13, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Oh my gosh! People have been Jimmered!

I like Jimmer and I think he will have a successful career in the NBA but the talent in the NBA is soooooooo much higher than college there really is no comparison.

Jimmer is a decent talent in this draft but lets not forget, this draft is hugely devoid of much talent at all. These guys currently picked in the top 3 would be 9-12 in other draft years.

People have lost all sanity when it comes to Jimmer and they are making him out to be something he is not.

The guy can shoot for sure.

Honestly though, nobody knows what his defense in the NBA will be because he is playing against weak nba talent (at best) right now so it is all relative.

People need to get a grip. I wish the best for Jimmer but people have lost all rationale thought on this guy.

All his workouts thus far have been against who? Fringe d-league/college talent.

Perspective people.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 13, 2011 6:11 p.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

you cant downplay Kanter's skill set...and he will definitely produce...and we have a few needs...you can't pass up on a big with loads of talent...Timberwolves would probably draft him at 2...which in turn...might get us Irving...Timberwolves' GM is a wildcard everytime he drafts...so we might see him grab Kanter and leave us with the decision of taking Irving...I am definitely convinced Williams would go 1...and Brandon Knight at 4...I know a lot of here isnt impressed with jimmer...its like the time...everyone was not impressed with Hayward...but i kept preaching that Hayward just needs confidence...coz you rarely get a guy 6'9" that has a PG skillset...could run after a fast break block...and with very refined shot selection even before the draft watching him at butler impressed me enough...and i think its happening again with jimmer...i do want him in a Jazz uniform next season...he has the swagger to produce at a high level...im really hoping...the Jazz gets Kanter and Jimmer...if not jimmer i'll just trust the brass...

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    June 13, 2011 6:46 p.m.

Jazz Source

Who plays defense in the NBA?

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    June 13, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Jimmer goes to Kings? Kings move to Anaheim, near me? I'm there.

June 13, 2011 9:12 p.m.

David Locke had an interview with a scout and they call him scout and he was very interesting, he likes Jimmer, listen , it's on the Jazz site.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    June 13, 2011 10:11 p.m.

I like the idea of trading down with Washington for the #6 and #18. Then combine the #12 and #18 to move up to #9 or #10. With the #6 take Jimmer and then at #9/10 take Burks. This would fill the two most gaping holes in the Jazz's offense and give them a 6'6'' true shooting guard and lights out 3 point shooter.

June 13, 2011 10:54 p.m.

AFCoug: If Burks was a lights out 3 pt shooter that would be good but he's not, shooting is his problem, he has great handles and is a good athlete but he's not a good shooter.

June 14, 2011 12:30 a.m.

Given a choice among Jimmer, Burks and Thompson I would take Jimmer. He is more versatile. However, all 3 may be gone by the 12th pick. The boards are moving around but Jimmer is moving up.

The Jazz could get Singlton at 12. A lot depends on what happens with the Euros and if they drop.

I think it is pretty much a toss up between Knight and Kanter at 3. Unless he is injured I do not see Irving dropping. Williams is probably gone as MN trades the pick.

How high Jimmer moves depends partly on Kemba's workouts. If he drops Jimmer will rise.

There are also a lot of Vets being shopped for move up picks.

In a lock out year when the Jazz have to pay 5 mill in lux tax, I would not be surprised if the Jazz do not resign AK and also move Harris just to save money.

It is a great year to just rebuild. Knight becomes the new PG (not ready) and a new SF has to be found. I do not believe Millsap can play the 3. I think Kanter can play the 3 just as well as Williams.

June 14, 2011 1:01 a.m.

King James is 6"8" and 250. Millsap is also. Williams is 6"9" and 248.

However, Kanter is 6"11" and 259. Kanter is just as agile and fast as Williams. If Williams can play SF so can Kanter. Kanter can shoot from the outside.

Vesley is 6'11" and 240. I doubt if he is faster or more agile than Kanter/Williams. Vesley struggles to guard outside and is not a good shot especially FTs, yet he is the top SF in the draft.

Marieff Morris claims to be an SF 6'9" 241. Kanter has to be as good as him at SF.

My point is that Kanter could play 3 positions. He would have to work on dribbling but he dribbles about as well as Vesley. He can hit the corner 3 and the top of the key 3. He has a decent mid range jumper with a quick release.

If Millsap can play the SF (remains to be seen) then Kanter can also play it.

Kanter is NOT an SF but he has enough athleticism to play it if needed.

Kanter is a rare gifted big. He needs work but will be exceptional.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 14, 2011 2:09 a.m.

@PAC man

Shane Battier for one...Jason Kidd played great defense against Kobe, Lebron and wade...Ray Allen plays great close D against Kobe during last year's finals...

@AFCoug

Hayward is already the future SG of the team...we need a SF that can stretch the D..and play honest D...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 14, 2011 3:03 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

there are new videos of Enes Kanter on draft express...and his stock is free falling...the third pick right now..is not a lock...and as much as i like Kanter's potential...im going to stay away from him from now...he is very choosy with his workouts...and that seems questionable...Jonas Valaciunas might go up...Jimmer Fredette might move up to the 3rd slot...i think as you have pointed out..Kanter's lack of exposure to decent competition...makes him a huge risk at the 3...i think someone pointed out that Kanter could be a Koufos...i think that's a possibility...with the new footage i just saw...i dont think the third pick is a lock...i'd rather draft jimmer right now...

• fastfox Ogden, UT
    June 14, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Look I love jimmer as much as the next guy, but you guys want to take him at 3? His ceiling is nowhere near Knights, Williams or Kanter who are all projected to the jazz by analysts. Jimmer will be available at 12, believe me. If he's not, then good for him for jumping higher!

He is not worth the 3rd pick. I don't believe he can guard the elite guards on defense and I don't think he can score on the elite guards, such as Paul, Kobe, Wade, etc etc. He'll be a great back-up point-guard and a great 6th man, but guys like Williams, Kanter and Knight have the potential to be All-Star/franchise players, something I think Jimmer is NOT capable of.

I hope I'm wrong, but that is just the way I see it.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 14, 2011 8:31 a.m.

@Localblue: Name me one player in this draft that has no weakness. They don't exist. Jimmer's weakness apparently is that he's white and not from a BCS school.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    June 14, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Kanter cannot and will not ever play the 3, not even spot duty. Just because a guy worked all year to be good at some drills (because he had nothing else to do while being ineligible) does not mean that that will tranlate to the actual game of basketball. He is clearly a 4/5. You can't just look at their times and compare Kanter & Williams. Look at the fluidity of their movements. Williams may not be a true 3 either, but he has the potential to work on it. Worst case scenario is he is Tyrus Thomas, but he already has more offensive game. Kanter's worst case scenario is Kosta Koufos, although his potenial could be higher than Williams. If we have a choice, I say go for the sure thing. If Williams isn't there at 3, I still don't know if Kanter is the guy.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 14, 2011 8:53 a.m.

@Kakashi, I disagree with you about Kanter, I think the Nike Hoop Summit said it all. I can't see the Jazz passing up on him or Williams at the #3, but it is imperative they pick up someone who can light it up from outside with one of their picks and I think Fredette is the most sure one to do that in the NBA.

June 14, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Jesse: I agree that Kanter won't play any 3, I love Kanters potential and skill set but he's a 4/5.
    Kashaki: I watched those videos of Kanter several days ago and they bothered me for a while and then I realized they must not be too much of a problem with the GM's etc, he's still in the top 5, and his skill set is what it is, I've watched it and he is much more skilled as a shooter, ballhandler, has better hands etc than Koufous, I don't see him like KK. I would love the Jazz to draft Kanter but I'm feeling like Jonas V. may be the player that they want, if his contract issues can be fixed. KOC and staff spent a lot of time over in Europe and they must really like someone (or2)over there.
    I think people are limiting Jimmers potential, if they think Knight has so much more potential, I think Jimmer can be just as good as Knight and is better at this point. Especially as a point guard, in the right situation Jimmer could end up like Nash.

June 14, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Kanter is not a SF and will not play there. My point was that he has just as much skill to do so as Millsap/Williams and Morris.

The film on Kanter is all high school or very early. It is not representative of his skill level at this point.

He is not Koufos. Koufos had a slow reaction/release where he had to think about shooting before he decided to make a move. He also played small for his size. He also had a flat shot.

Kanter is smooth in transition and shoots with good form. He is high risk in the sense that there is little game film and he needs a lot of work on defense. BUT he has the tools to be a great defender. He is decisive on the court. He reacts quickly. He moves well. He should be a good help defender and also be able to stay in front of his man.

Kanter is an okay pick at 3 so are Knight and Williams.

I will discuss the reasons Jimmer is not a top 3 pick in a minute.

June 14, 2011 11:16 a.m.

I like Jimmer and hope the Jazz get him.

However, he is not a top 3 pick for the following reasons.

1. He is competing with great to very good PGs in a PG heavy draft.

2. Most teams would go with the best available big for a top 3 pick.

3. Jimmer is a senior. His D can improve. His shooting and offense are not going to improve and has to be adapted to the NBA.

4. He is average in speed and agility at PG for the NBA.

5. The biggest question is about his ability to run an NBA team as a PG. Is he DWill or is he Price as a floor general?

6. He is fine as a general guard, as a 6th man or instant offense off of the bench. However, 90% of the true SGs are much taller with greater reach. He is not a true SG. You do not spend a top 3 pick on a general guard.

7. Jimmer is a decent pick at 10 give or take in a weak PG heavy draft.

June 14, 2011 11:19 a.m.

The trib, has an article about Kanter by Calapari, Calapari says he would take Kanter #1 in this draft, I know he's his coach but he is also Knights coach, what does that tell everyone, Kanter would be the best pick for the Jazz. Everyone wants to find fault or reasons not to pick him instead of seeing all the raasons we should pick him.
    The same with Jimmer, I don't think Jimmer will fall to 12 but I sure hope he does, so the Jazz can grab him.

June 14, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Bug: One of the things I like about Kanter is his overall skill level, his athleticism, his agility etc but I like it for the 4/5 positions, I agree his combine scores show he can move and would servive at moments if he had to play the 3, but I think both Paul and Williams are a little more agile/mobile even though scores don't show much difference.
    That isn't the point we all need to focus on, the point is Kanter is very athletic , especially for the 4/5 position and with his skill set and physical presence, it would be a mistake to pass him over. Like Calapari says, those who pass him over will regret it.

June 14, 2011 11:33 a.m.

Even though there may be times Jimmer will be asked to slide over to the 2 spot, I don't see it happening all the time. One area I think people are underestimating Jimmer at is his ability to run a team and not think he has to shoot everytime. To me he is not Price, Price struggles to run the team, Jimmer is much calmer and under control. I would really like to see evidence that Knight is better than Jimmer, I know he is younger and that has to count for something but Jimmer is a better shooter, better passer, has better handles, scores after contact better, gets to the line more often, more calm & undercontrol.
    Listen to the scout, Locke had on yesterday and what he says about Jimmer.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:54 a.m.

one thing NBA teams need is someone who can shoot. Just like a baseball team getting someone who can hit. If you are a natural shooter or hitter teams pick up on that. There are lots of athletes who simply can't shoot the ball. They can play defense and dunk but they can't consistently hit an outside "open' shot to save their life. Jimmer can.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    June 14, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Derrick Rose wouldn't work out with anyone when he was drafted and look what happened with him. Refusing to work out with other players means nothing.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2011 2:40 p.m.

They said John Stockton wasn't quick either.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 14, 2011 3:57 p.m.

@CaptainL, I agree with everything you are saying, might I add it's a lot harder to find a big man that can play, don't see how we could pass on Kanter if he's there. Jazz already having problems with Tomic's contract buyout don't see how they would take on another one.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 14, 2011 5:33 p.m.

im all for Kanter a few months ago...but...there is something about it that is risky...i know he is a very talented player...but his stock is free falling right now...he is being too cautious as some say...but as of right now...i am praying...we milk this draft for what its worth..im excited to get the draft started...and see the new Jazz players...hope there would be some draft day trades...and i hope we could sign battier...just to mentor Hayward...

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 14, 2011 6:10 p.m.

@ Buggoff (1:16 am),

What makes a great PG? What's in their innerself, NOT how they measure.

If measurements were so all-fired great indicators, players like Nash and Bird wouldn't have excelled.

Jimmer has something I haven't seen in a college player in a long time. He'll do just fine in the NBA as a PG. He already knows what it'll take and won't quit working at it until he's succeeded.

THAT's why I'm so high on Jimmer. Not just because he can shoot, but WHY he can. He's a "succeeder." The NBA isn't all that full of them.

The great King James proved in the finals that great natural talent doesn't win games. LeBron is obviously missing something.

Jimmer has the IT factor to be great, the same as Stockton, Nash, and others that weren't considered "all that" when they came into the league.

What I'd like to see the Jazz do is get either Williams or Kanter at 3 and trade up somehow (like giving Harris or Miles) to get a higher than 12th pick to get Jimmer.

I don't see Knight as having as much impact on the game as Jimmer will.

June 14, 2011 6:46 p.m.

kakashi: Where have you read that Kanter's stock is free falling, I haven't seen anything to indicate that. He's still top 4 in most everything I've seen.

June 14, 2011 7:13 p.m.

I want to see us take a big with the #3 pick and if we can't get Kanter or Williams or if the FO like him better, I like Jonas V. he's pretty solid and will grow and develop into a top notch player. His contract is a problem as is the fact he may take a couple more years to fill out , develop and be able to contribute in a major way. I know alot of scouts think he's the top Euro player in the draft and the latest film I've watched make me think he would be OK.
    Consalation wise, Knight at 3, and BB at 12 would be OK. Maybe Montejunas at 12.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 14, 2011 8:46 p.m.

@Captain L

he dropped to 6 on draftexpress...he is still a top 2-6 pick...but they pointed out concerns of him being too choosy on workouts...so Kanter's draft position could change in the next couple of weeks...I'd like for us to take the Wizards 6 and 18th pick for the third...and probably have them include Jordan Crawford...we could throw in a player...

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:29 p.m.

@CaptainL, If we can't get Kanter or Williams that means Irvine falls to us and I think we would have to take him. I think he could be among the elite in a year or two. He is the only point guard I'd pick over Fredette though.

If they were able to parlay the #3 pick into #6 and #18, I think Jeremy Tyler might be worth the gamble at 18. And still like Singleton at #12 if they get Fredette.

I still like Kanter at #3 though because it makes AJ or Milsap expendable and opens up several trade possibilities that could bring the Jazz a top flight scoring forward if Milsap can't adapt to play the #3.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:36 p.m.

CaptainL, if the Jazz aren't able to get Williams or Kanter that means Irvine would be available at the #3 pick. I don't see how we could pass him up if that happened.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 14, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Would Irving even sing with the Jazz, or stay if he did (ala D-Will)?

I'm hopin' Irving goes 1 or 2 so the Jazz can get either Williams or Kanter (or Jimmer, which depends on how his eval goes on Wednesday).

The Jazz are in a pretty good place with the 3rd and 12th picks. I don't see them trading the 3rd away to a lower pick, but I would like to see them trade to get that 12th pick higher if they want Jimmer and use the 3rd on a big.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    June 15, 2011 12:49 a.m.

The Jazz will work out the Jimmer tomorrow. I am getting anxious to see what direction this franchise will go. I think we will shock the NBA next year and be very good for many years to come if the Jazz draft picks pan out sooner rather than later.

Good luck Jimmer!

GO JAZZ!

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 15, 2011 10:48 a.m.

@whatsinitforme, I would think there's as much chance Irving would stay as anyone else, even Jimmer has expressed some desire to play in NY. Jimmer is definitely my first choice at point guard after Irvine though.

If you traded the #3 for 6 and 18 you would still end up with jimmer at #6 and still have a good chance at a big man at 12 and 18. I like jeremy tyler or Lucas nogueira at 18, rumors floating that nogueira is 6'9" but I have seen a video of him standing on his toes holding onto the rim with both hands.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 15, 2011 3:42 p.m.

@ shaybo,

There really aren't any big men worth drafting other than Williams and Kanter. So, trading down doesn't make sense to me.

If the 3rd pick can't get one of those two, then take Jimmer at 3 and some big guy project at 12.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 15, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Id risk the 18 pick if we do trade down...on Jeremy Tyler...he is a dark horse on this draft...a projected top pick before...his moves are questionable...but i think it made him more grounded...