Dick Harmon: Red-Blue rivals tee it up for charity

Comments

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 7, 2011 12:15 a.m.

Civility abounds among the classy guys, like the coaches. Hint.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    June 7, 2011 12:21 a.m.

Didn't Scott Mitchell play against Coach Whit when they were in college?

Go cougs!!!!!

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    June 7, 2011 1:52 a.m.

As a living kidney donor I am grateful for these coaches using their positions to further a great cause. I bleed blue which means I watched Whittingham back in the 80's and continue to raise my colors high in the blue. But each year this golf "tournament" brings together these rivals to compete for the kidney cause. I thought it was icing on the cake to have LaVell and Ron there to ham it up. Thanks coaches and please keep this important tradition going! This and other causes such as the food bank competition help people in the community. Both Cougar and Ute fans can be proud of how they pull together and tee off.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    June 7, 2011 2:32 a.m.

@cougarNV
    "Didn't Scott Mitchell play against Coach Whit when they were in college?"

Not hardly, since Coach Whit was at the Y 10 years ahead of Mitchell's time at the U.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    June 7, 2011 6:22 a.m.

These gentlemen are good examples in which all reading should follow.

• rok San Diego, CA
    June 7, 2011 7:43 a.m.

Even if they don't like golf, it's not a huge sacrifice. Keep the hyperbole to a minimum and remember what a huge sacrifice really is.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 7, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Rivalries are fun but serving others is the ultimate love for one.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 7, 2011 8:49 a.m.

I know LaVel and Mack really liked each other, I am just not sure yet about Kyle and Bronco.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 7, 2011 9:03 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

If "civility abounds among...the coaches", why did this year's loser of the charity tournament refuse to sing his rival's fight song, like every other tournament loser has since the tournament began? Why does that same coach refuse to sing every year he loses?

A few of the classy coaches who have sung their rival's fight song are LaVell Edwards, Jim Fassell, Ron McBride, Gary Crowton, and Kyle Whittingham (Urban Meyer never sang because he never lost this tournament). Notice a name missing from the list?

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 7, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Probably because he can't sing.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    June 7, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Actually, nither headcoach currently sings the other schools fight song...they did the first year but stopped five years ago by mutual agreement.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    June 7, 2011 9:27 a.m.

C'mon Whitt, get current players, this is for fun. Swallow your pride a bit.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 7, 2011 9:34 a.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin,

So, raising red & white pom poms while Ute cheerleaders led a crowd in the fight song isn't good enough for you?

Me thinks you're a troll.

• williary Kearns, UT
    June 7, 2011 9:36 a.m.

@Veracity

I think Kyle and Bronco have a level of respect for each other, but do not care to spend any more time than necessary with each other.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 7, 2011 10:26 a.m.

I love Lavell and Ronnie Mac and their back and forth. I really wish fans on both sides of the aisle would treat the rivalry like those two did.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    June 7, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Why do some try and take away from the good done here. Do not let someone else determine how you act or in this case respond. These two coaches are both good men and share a lot in common, among which is dedication to their teams, competiveness, and support of a good cause. I remember when coach Rose was determined to have cancer, the u fans, coaches and players were some of the most supportive. Everyone pulled together, this is the same here. Let the players play, hope your team wins, no injury, and if you don't win, good luck next time.

I am not the one to say these two do or don't like each other. I believe they do but also coach to win. It is some rabid fans that take it to a different level. Yes sometimes players too, in the heat of the moment, they too are human. Lets have some fun, this is a great event and hope the funds will help someones life be better.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Kudos to Brave Sir Robin for probably the most laughable comment I've ever read.

I wasn't sure he was serious...but he is.

Wow....

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    June 7, 2011 12:33 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    June 7, 2011 12:37 p.m.

I love that they still do this every year regardless of coaching changes at both schools. (Being a BYU girl from the '90s) I miss the playful banter between Lavell and Mac. They were fun and seemed to genuinely enjoy each other's company!

This is one of the things in my mind that epitomizes what I love about Utah. So many good people there are sincerely looking to do good in the world. I will always think fondly on those Ute football players who took the time 13 years ago to visit my newborn while he fought for his life at Primary Childrens. There are good and wonderful people on BOTH teams. I wish we could all remember that more.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    June 7, 2011 3:12 p.m.

@JayDee

I bet Bronco might sing if KWhitt plays by the rules of team composition. What say you?"
    ******
    Are you suggesting that Broncos practice of integrity is situational?

That is he behaves with integrity only when he believes others are behaving with integrity?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 7, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Fresno Girl;
    Well said. An overwhelming majority of fans and players on both sides are classy and well mannered.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 7, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Coach Whit keeps bring single digit ringers year after year even though event orginizers keep asking him to bring current rostered players (which Bronco has) explaining why Utah has won this charity event the last 7 years. Someone needs to sit down with Kyle and tell him that the people that pay and donate to this event don't want to see "has been" Ute football players from 20 years ago or ex-Ute Golf team members.

It's about the Charity and having fun.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    June 7, 2011 5:24 p.m.

BYU honor code kept the BYU team from lying on their golf score.

• There's always room for Jello Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2011 10:31 p.m.

I think it's interesting reading fresnogirl's comment and then reading Howard S.'s right after....

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    June 8, 2011 8:06 a.m.

Fresnogirl,

Thank you, yet again, for your insight. Most of us (myself included) need to follow your example as we post comments.