Dick Harmon: John Beck waging loud campaign in Washington

Comments

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    May 25, 2011 1:35 p.m.

I'd love to see Beck do well. He brings the most NFL tools and measurables for a BYU QB since Steve Young (not including Heaps). He really is smart to step up and fill the void during the lockout. He may not end up being the man in DC that he wants to be but who can fault him for stepping up and stating that he wants to be?

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 25, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Good to see Beck isn't afraid of stepping on some toes to get what he thinks he deserves.

• Jonas Denver, Colorado
    May 25, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Can't wait to read the comments from ute fans still hurting inside from John ripping their guts out on his final pass in RES.

No one can hold a grudge like little brother.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2011 2:06 p.m.

In the NFL they respect those who earn respect. He's earned it by...?

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    May 25, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Hedgehog,

Will John Beck cry when he doesn't get the job ha hahahaha

Uteology,

Beck didn't play in the Pac so he is unworthy ha ha

Papa Smurf Ute,

Jan said on the radio that Beck won't ever start. That must be written scripture out of Jans mouth hahahaha

There you go... I beat you to the punch:)

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    May 25, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Maybe Washington could trade for Alex Smith:) ha hahahahahaahahahahahhahahahahahahaahah

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 25, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Which of us hasn't lobbied for a promotion? Good to see Beck step up and do the same in his profession. Personally, I'd not want a QB on my team that was satisfied with 2nd or 3rd string...

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    May 25, 2011 2:29 p.m.

It looks like the Cougars brought their own sick sense of Ute reality to the article. No Utes had to say anything. Stop looking to be offended. Cougars write as many idiotic posts as Utes. I don't think any Utes really care. We are wishing Alex Smith would be more vocal.

I know that Beck could do well but has been in the wrong system the same as Alex Smith. There are many good qb's that didn't get the chance to show how good they can be and most of them turn out to be seen as "busts" because there is no blocking or other players to back them.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    May 25, 2011 3:22 p.m.

I'm sure he could have lobbied for a starting positon without wishing for Dmac to fail. Just felt odd reading that part of the article. If you're good enough, the job should be yours, or at least be allowed to compete for it.

And yet there are more comments from the Harold Camping love posse known as CHris B, Hedge, Uteology and Papa Smurf. Keep those predictions of gloom and doom coming. The last one on Saturday worked out well.

• Jonas Denver, Colorado
    May 25, 2011 3:58 p.m.

Ldsfan, I choose to think of it as our heading them off at the pass.

• Bitterman west jordan, ut
    May 25, 2011 4:05 p.m.

C.B.
    I don't think readers will respect a guy who hasnt made a meaningful comment in at least three years, is 49 and still living in his mothers basement, and says he knows football but thinks a draw trap is the flap on a pair of long johns...

Respect is earned by football accumen, not the number of posts slipped onto the cougar board per hour...

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 25, 2011 4:15 p.m.

LDSFAN, not true Chris B is a Ute fan, and made a comment before you.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 25, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Chris B: you should probably check out Steve Young's early pro-football career. Less than stellar, but he persisted like Beck is.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 25, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Bitterman:

:) hahahahahahah! Thanks for the gut buster!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 25, 2011 6:16 p.m.

I have long thought Beck to be the better NFL prospect in comparison to Max Hall. Although Hall is the all time wins guy, that can be misleading. Beck didn't win until late in his BYU career, but he was involved in the bad Crowton years and the rebuilding Bronco stage.

I like the take Ldsfan had. I also submit that many QB's get labeled busts unfairly. Sometimes a QB fails on their own merits and others by the deficiencies of their teams.

Alex Smith and Beck have not had good situations yet. Alex has had a greater chance to succeed as a starter for 4 years on and off. However, Alex has had 7 offensive coordinators, and that is downright offensive.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 25, 2011 6:17 p.m.

It is do or die time for Beck and he knows it. He is seizing the moment. Any practice the team can get will help in a lock out year.

Beck needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of trying to force it in. Hall has the same problem.

Cut down on the TOs and you will probably start.

The Skin's did not draft a QB this year and that sent a clear message. Unless they trade for one Beck is considered the starter by management mainly by default.

He is going to have to earn it on the field. He should know the playbook by now and he should know most of the NFL defenses. If the Skins get enough practice the might do okay this year.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 25, 2011 9:48 p.m.

For Chris B. @ 2:06....

Hey Chris, what did John Beck do to deserve respect?

Well, for starters, he beat your team....

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 25, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Seems reading the article still isn't a prerequisite for posting:

C.B.: "I dont think teammates will respect a guy who hasn't taken a meaninful snap in 3 years, is 29, saying he is the starter, and who hasn't led a winning team ever in thee NFL."

-------------

Let's see...

"Beck is drawing attention. His quotes are bold and so are his actions: Calling Redskins draft picks, giving them playbooks, organizing player-only practices, telling the media and Redskins fans he can't worry about the feelings of other QBs, that he's the guy. It's his turn.

"He's grabbed the keys and jumped into the driver's seat. He's Beck the Usurper sort of.

"I contacted everybody on offense," Beck told me after Tuesday's practice, which he helped organize without management."

41 players showed up. Seems like respect.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    May 25, 2011 11:57 p.m.

Love the attitude. Hope it translates to success on the field for him.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 26, 2011 1:05 a.m.

John Beck will end up with more career TD passes than Alex Smith.

Mark it down.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    May 26, 2011 1:07 a.m.

I'm much more impressed by Eli Herring.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 26, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Good Luck to Beck, except for when it comes to the Cowboys!

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    May 26, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Some quarterbacks just go out on the field and show the coaches that they are the best talent to win the team games. Some quarterbacks lobby and attempt persuasion to get the coaches to give them playing time.

My observation is that since the first scenerio didn't play out for Beck, he's trying the second option, which is to post "Beck For Quarterback" signs in the stadium parking lot and on the coaches front lawn.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 26, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Yup, Jan said that his ex buddy Beck wont ever start. You beat me to it. Thanks for making that comment for me. If Beck gets the starting job, good for him. Hopefully he does well. Steve Young is my favorite player. He was an ex Y player. The only player I will never cheer for is Collie. Other than that, once they are out of Provostan, hopefully they have long and good careers. Except for the DB Collie.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 26, 2011 3:44 p.m.

I have the feeling that Beck is going to start in Washington. Given a decent O-line and running game Beck can be a good NFL QB. He has a strong arm and came from a great passing offensive at the Y. He has also been in the fire at Miami and I'm sure learned alot.

• hoghead sandy, UT
    May 26, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Papa,
    I will gladly cheer for all ute players also. Please let me know when one plays.
    Sincerely,
    Austin Collie

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:45 a.m.

@Bitterman

Awesome post - I nominate that for post of the year!!!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Jan Jorgenson does not think Beck will start in the NFL?

The same Jan Jorgenson All- Conference 3 times and never made an NFL roster himself?

that Jan Jorgenson?

Really.......

I've watche them all, McMahon, Detmer, Wilson, Nielson, Sark, Beck and Hall, looks like he found "IT".

Good Luck John

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2011 8:30 p.m.

@PapaSmurf

Do you know what is is like to catch touchdown passes on National TV from Hall of Famer Peyton Manning, how it feels to play in a Super Bowl, oh, and last but not least, how to recognize "Magic" when it Happens!

Some people do.....Smurfs can only dream.