Utah Jazz: Enes Kanter grew up watching Mehmet Okur; Jimmer Fredette says Jazz 'like' him

Comments

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Ummm...I have a feeling Kanter has an attitude problem.

According to Locke:
    "Yesterday Kanter left Jazz off teams he is interested in playing for today he blows them off for interview - puts Jazz an in tough spot"

• OrlandoJazzFan Winter Springs, FL
    May 20, 2011 8:17 p.m.

I read on HoopsHype that Enes blew off his interview time with the Jazz Brass today in Chicago. I hope they see his level of commitment to the team and Go with what we need - A Point Guard. Bring on Knight!!!!!

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:28 p.m.

NOOOOOOoooooo not another big slow euro!

May 20, 2011 10:05 p.m.

The Jazz think they can play Knight at SG with Harris at PG. They may also be able to do that with Jimmer. I am not sure Knight or Jimmer are going to be that well on D against Kobe and other tall SGs.

Kantor is a possible Okur replacement as he can shoot outside and has an aggressive inside game. He may also be a taller replacement for Millsap.

The Jazz currently have AJ, Millsap and Favors and only 96 minutes of C/PF. Unless Millsap morphs into King James he is not going to spend effective minutes at SF.

The Jazz need to fix the SF position with a really good SF. Vesely may be an answer. He may also be able to afford to come to the NBA if there is a hard cap and a weak $.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 20, 2011 10:29 p.m.

hmmm...Knight says "I wouldn't mind going to Utah." Well, I am not surprised. Lots of players have other cities in mind as their favorites. Then again, 18-20 something year olds don't really know much about much, do they? Many grow to love it in Utah. Korver and D-Will seemed to like it a lot.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Kanter has scheduled a full day interview and workout with the Jazz on June 2.

I'm sure he didn't "blow them off" in his mind. He simply rescheduled the interview for a day when he can work out for the Jazz exclusively. He's going to be with them all day, might as well interview then.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 20, 2011 10:46 p.m.

I just read that article where Williams says he is a 3 not a 4. I'd like to see Kirilenko stay a year more with Utah. Williams is a pretty brash young man, but I'm sure Andre could teach him lots. They would make a good SF combo next year, with Williams gradually increasing his minutes. Kanter's comment that he would rather play PF than C or he sees himself as a PF not a C echoes big Al's self-assessment. I know a lot don't agree with me, but I thought the only way the Jazz were going to make the playoffs during this season was with Fes eventually at center. So, this is a lineup next year I might like to see:
    C: Fes/Jefferson/Okur
    PF: Favors/Jefferson/Milsap
    SF: Kirilenko/Williams/Milsap/Miles
    SG: Hayward/Miles
    PG: Harris/Watson/Jimmer or Burks

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 11:04 p.m.

According to a tweet sent out by Chad Ford Kanter didn't really blow off the Jazz interview, apparently rather than do a short interview they opted for an all day affair on June 2nd.

I get the feeling that because of the plethora of big men Utah already has Utah isn't his first choice but he seems willing to play here.

Personally I like Kanter but I'm praying he goes top 2 so the Jazz can draft Williams.

Either Williams, Knight, or Kanter will be wearing a Jazz uni next year.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 20, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Big oops...forgot Jeremy Evans. Definitely want him on the team. Well, there are going to be changes. Perhaps he will end up being the backup SF to Williams, as Kirilenko might very well leave. I'm sure Jeremy is somewhere working on his jump shot and putting the ball on the floor and driving by his man to the hoop. Work on it Jeremy. We need ya.

May 20, 2011 11:40 p.m.

really fes?...i'd rather sign dalembert...than let fes be the starter...fes is good as a sub...

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 21, 2011 12:13 a.m.

3rd is NOT a pick to gamble with. So, no Euros that have buy-out issues, PLEASE!

If the "perfect" big man isn't available at 3rd, then use it on Jimmer and do something else with the 12th, like pick the best big left (SF?) or trade it.

I know some believe other PGs in the draft are better than Jimmer, but that's a smoke-screen: they might be fast, but so are a lot of so-so NBA players. Speed isn't everything.

Jimmer has something none of those others have: shot range! Jimmer's shot range is practically unheard of in the NBA. Historically, even.

I'd love to be an NBA coach with THAT in my arsenal. Can you imagine how tough it would be to defend a PG that has unreal range AND a wicked cross-over? Pick-and-role from several feet beyond the trey line? (Being facetious.)

With Jimmer at the helm, defenses would invariably find themselves in scramble mode.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    May 21, 2011 5:54 a.m.

Brandon will not be drafted within the first ten picks. Jimmer could out-shoot him and we already have a better-than-average point guard anyway. Our third pick should be either Kanter or Williams. Jimmer may be the best of what's left at 12.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 21, 2011 6:21 a.m.

Minn is shopping the #2 pick so there goes Williams for the Jazz. The Jazz would be better off with Williams so maybe KOC should bundle and trade Fes, CJ, AK, Price and Bell and get the #2 pick.

I think Kanter = Koufos not too much excitement there

May 21, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Kanter with the third pick should be an easy decision, even if it creates a logjam, I am enamored with Kanters athleticism and would prefer him to replace AJ, even though AJ is a double double machine on the cusp of all star greatness...in a year or two, Kanter has the moves to replace AJ's scoring and Kanter will always be more athletic and better able to defend than AJ, as will Favors, so I like both of them more than AJ based on potential and defense, even at center. Also, we still have memo too, which should be a good pairing with Kanter. One trade that I think makes alot of sense is AJ for the fourth pick, but I doubt it happens.
    If Jimmer isn't there at 12, then Walker should be. The concerns about his speed are legitimate, if he isn't fast enough to defend the position he simply won't be able to make it, ala, morris almond. Jimmer would be a good fit for the Jazz and everyone agrees he is going to need that to make it, patience, vision, he has nbaskill, but walker can helpuwin from dayone.

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    May 21, 2011 7:50 a.m.

A lot of Jazz fans are comparing Kanter to Koufos but I don't think the comparison sticks. I watched Kanter work out on Thursday and Friday, and I came aware very impressed. The guy is a very good post player and can go equally well to his left and right. Not only that, he can also shoot facing the basket. He was coordinated in his movements. So, I think this guy has a real shot at being a very good player in a few years (he is currently 19).

Let's not rule Kanter out just because he is from Europe.

• Long term Kimberly, ID
    May 21, 2011 8:00 a.m.

The Jazz have put themselves in a great position to really have a long term great team. The key, I think, is to maximize this and next year's draft. To me that means do what it takes to get the right guys, even if it means getting rid of some that are not quite right. This is my plan:

#3Pick-Draft Knight or Williams (if Kahn goes nuts and drafts Kanter).

Trade Devin Harris to Sacramento for the #7 pick. Harris is injury prone, can't finish in the half court, is 5-8years older than the rest of Jazz key players, but has a good contract and has value.

#7 Pick Kawhi Leonard. He might be the most sure thing in the draft. Pretty sure he will rebound, defend, play with energy. Think Matt Harpring with more talent and a little work to do on the J. Great glue guy. Winner. (If Williams is at 3 then take him and draft Knight at 7-hopefully he's still there)

#12 Jimmer. Our version of Dallas bench shooting. Second option if Bismack Biyombo if he really can be a Ben Wallace type defender.

More to come...

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    May 21, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Too bad the jazz have the 3rd pick in such a shallow draft

The Pickin's will be slim from top to bottom...wish they had this pick LY...

May 21, 2011 8:08 a.m.

If the Jazz really like Jimmer, they might even need to trade up to get him in this weak draft, right now there is about a 50% chance he is there at 12, I think the Jazz can interview other pg's and some smfwds and sg's, all positions there have players with nice upside. I think the Jazz can wait to draft day to make a decision, after workouts, see how the draft unfolds. But the fans of Utah are going to make this an issue, i can see, don't forget there are some good options out there if it doesn't work out.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 21, 2011 8:12 a.m.

My support follows Jimmer!

• Long term Kimberly, ID
    May 21, 2011 8:26 a.m.

Next step to my two draft plan:

Start Knight Hayward Leonard Al and Favors. Play them and Jimmer or Bismack lots of minutes. Either loose a lot, or these guys get good faster than predicted. If we loose a lot, great year to do it, short season and hello 2012 draft.

This is where we get our franchise player. First we hope we win the lottery. If so, Harrison Barnes, welcome to Utah. If not, use our pick, Warrior's pick Asset from Okur's expiring contract we picked up last year, CJ Miles expiring contract asset, and even Millsap if needed to get him. Throw in a couple more first rounders if needed. Just Get Him.

STARTERS
    Knight
    Hayward
    Barnes
    AJ
    Favors

BENCH
    Jimmer/Bismack depending on who we drafted
    Kawahi Leonard

Possibly Millsap, Miles. Fes.

Really go after Shane Battier this summer in the FA market. He and Earl Watson are perfect defensive leader/mentor types for the young guys to teach them how to be professionals.

Here are a couple of backup center gambles worth taking:
    1-Deandre Jordon-
    2-Greg Oden-
    3-Fes

What do you think??

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    May 21, 2011 8:43 a.m.

I can't believe the "instant gratification" generation mentality! Don't waste the picks on rookies Jazz, go for experienced younger veterans in trades and look at all of the real good free agents available. These young studs just eat up too much salary towards the cap and they won't be productive for a couple years anyway. Let others have these youngsters, because we have plenty ourselves now. Even if we have to trade the picks for next year, that would be wiser than blowing your good fortune you got this year on a weak crop of freshman and players that don't even have alot of college experience. Be smart Kevin and don't blow it!

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 21, 2011 8:54 a.m.

@Jazz Cop, what Kanter athletism you are talking about? He is not explosive, doesn't play above the rim, doesn't block shots. He uses his weight and post moves well vs smaller kids his age what he is going to do in NBA vs same size but more athletic men? As I said he is no better then Koufos and Koufos was bigger and more athletic. Plus he is PF who plays in low post ( same as Jefferson) why we would need another PF? If Jazz go big they should go with Valanciunas, 6'11, 7'6 wingspan, true center, great hands, always plays hard and runs well ( sounds like Noah a lot but better FT shooter at 90%!) and plays excelent in pick and roll offense.
    Leonard on the other hand is very promising SF and if Jazz not planning to sign AK they should grab him - that dude will be biggest sleeper in this draft.

May 21, 2011 9:07 a.m.

I don't think Jazz need to do anything but take the bpa, as long as they do that they can't lose in this draft. Any player they should draft at their position should be a player with some coveted upside particularly for the Jazz; while any player who should be drafted in the position just ahead of them is a player who would be a fit on any team in the league, and should the player slip a spot would also be a fit for the Jazz, everyone will say it is a reach if the coveted Jazz players are picked before their 'ordained' slot, because every gm takes a huge risk passing up a sure thing in this weak draft. I see that there is a first tier of three players, and a second tier of about ten players without much difference between any of them; this draft can go either way for alot of teams, but for the Jazz it will be good regardless.

May 21, 2011 9:15 a.m.

I'm talking about defense man.

May 21, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Valanciunas is a huge risk, he might not even make it over due to contract, and might not be a good fit attitude wise. If those things were equal I'd say pick Valanciunas but I don't think they are.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 21, 2011 9:41 a.m.

It looks like Minnesota is now intrested in Kanter. I believe that he is the real deal. However, the Jazz need Plan B. Jimmer is the "people's choice" so bring him in to fill the seats with pick 12.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2011 9:57 a.m.

With the Jazz's record of draft picks it is not a good sign for Fredette that they like him. They would draft him, season him for a year or two and then trade him as he develops into a successful player.

May 21, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Kahn is the evil genius so he would get interested in Kanter, in the end, he will have to pick Williams, I think just for the stupid thing he said right after the draft which no one should forget immediately. Kahn should keep his mouth shut and take the bpa, Kanter has the most bust potential in minnesota, he doesn't add as much to their team as williams, and Kahn knows he would be a fool to take kanter with the players they have. Of course, he's going to try to advertise Kanter and hope someone wants to trade up and get him. I think that if he can't pull off a trade before the draft he's going to have a hard time getting one he likes in the five minutes he is going to have to decide during the draft. It will just be an indication of every team's reluctance to give up assets to position themselves in this draft, I doubt the potential alone will be enough to convince anybody to give what it would take, and kahn, evil genuis he is, is smart enough not to sell cheap.

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 21, 2011 10:15 a.m.

@Jazz Cop what do you know about Valanciunas attitude? Every scout is raving about his endless motor and always playing hard. Are you sure you not talking about Motiejunas?

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    May 21, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I am hoping for Williams and if Jimmer is still available why not? It would get Utah more excited for the Jazz having Jimmer but I think someone will snatch him up before the Jazz can.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    May 21, 2011 10:21 a.m.

The Jazz aren't going to say that they hate Jimmer in an Interview with him. What do you expect. This team stinks defensivley so I would like the best defender in the draft Chris Singleton. Jimmer can go to new york and be aprt of the run and gun style of offense that won't win any championships. I do not want the Jazz to become that type of team.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    May 21, 2011 10:33 a.m.

I don't think it matters too much. The Jazz will get a good player at #3, be it Williams or Kanter. Both are really nice players. They'd be going in the 5-7 range in a normal year, but Sullinger, Barnes, and Jones went back to school so Williams and Kanter get a bigger payday. Who cares? They're both really good and the Jazz can benefit from either.

If the Jazz take Kanter then they can let Elson and Fes walk away. That would let them sign a free agent wing player. If the Jazz choose Williams they've got a fantastic young wing. Two good choices.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 21, 2011 10:43 a.m.

The comparisons of Kanter and Koufous are terrible, their not even close, Kanter has great touch and can score from anywhere on the court. KK could'nt put the ball in the basket or he would still be with the Jazz. Kanter would be a great pick and I hope we get him.
    If Williams is available he would be great, and that would probably mean Kanter was taken at the 2 spot but Williams has to prove he can play the 3, I think he has the quickness and speed to play the 3 but he will need an adjustment period, while he learns how to get comfortable on the outside, he has been play the 4 in college.
    I'm not that high on Knight, maybe I'll learn more about him that will help change my feeling but so far he's not what I'd want at the 3 spot. I'd rather have Leonard or Vesely or even Jonas than Knight.
    I'd like Jimmer at 12 but Thompson or Singleton would be OK too, we need outside shooting but we also need D and Singleton would give us that.

• scotsman Logan, UT
    May 21, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in Utah is a BYU fan and not everyone would love having Jimmer on the Jazz.

• Rick Northport, NY
    May 21, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Cavs might take Enes with 1st pick since their will be many guards left @ the 4th spot for the Cavs to pick from with about the same talent level. That would throw a money wrench into Jazz pick selection. Enes's father is a professor which is extremely important when picking a very high draft pick. Blood lines means alot especially with NBA players.
    Utah had "3" picks in the 1998 draft which amounted to nothing. Nazr never lived up to his potential and the other player from Kansas about 6'9" who played a few years for the Jazz did nothing (while Nazr was traded immediately). The 3rd player taken in the 1st round by Utah was not good either. CAN ANYBOBY REMEMBER THAT 3RD PLAYER ? Each team needs luck more than having multiple picks when selecting these players.
    Finally, will Ante Tomic be in a Jazz uniform this season ???

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 21, 2011 11:03 a.m.

@Captain L... Koufos was dominating his age euro championship even more then Kanter did, how was he able to do it withou putting ball in the basket when he scored 35pts and got over 20 reb in final game??? When Koufos was drafted everybody was writing that Jazz got Okur clone because of his great outside touch. What happened though is kid never had confidence to play thanks to Jerry Sloan who kept him in doghouse. Plus Koufos is 7 ft while Kanter is 6'10 at best. Kanter has not played vs big grown men at all so saying that he has great touch is a bit of a stretch as one thing is to dominate smaller and lighter kids and have confidence to shoot over them and other thing will be to play vs legit 6-11-7FT 260-280lbs NBA players - after he gets his shot swatted couple times then you will find out if he has great touch from anywhere. I am not surprised that Kanter refuses to workout vs others and does just individual drills, think about it.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    May 21, 2011 11:13 a.m.

With the #3 pick in the 2011 NBA draft Williams and Kanter are the front runners.

With the number#12 pick in the 2011 NBA draft I like Fredette, Klay Thompson, Chris Singleton, Marshon Brooks and Jordan Hamilton in that order. Things will certainly change some between now and draft day but today those are the ones that I have honed in on.

May 21, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Well, the screport is that his only move right now is off the pick and roll, and even though it's probably a very good move, he hasn't shown any inclination to develop another move, relying solely on the strength of his pick and roll, and in the nba he will have to have another move. I'm sure he's a good kid, I'm just saying alot of kids believe in their patented moves a little bit too much and that is all I meant by his attitude, I heard he is cocky which can be a red flag, but i'm sure its not a problem. I like his size though and think he would be good alongside a double double machine, like AJ. I think the biggest problem which makes things not equal is his contract situation which is for real though, I don't think he can play in the states for a year or two, and that is a gamble I'd hate to see the Jazz take.
    JV could be a fit in minnesota though attitude/skillwise, they might not mind stashing him over there while they wait for rubio.

• utopia381 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2011 11:19 a.m.

@Longterm ... Harrison Barnes isn't in the Draft. Too bad for us.

May 21, 2011 11:23 a.m.

@Rick-I could see them taking enes too, he really helped himself out alot int he draftcamp, i bet he goes number one, in which case i think the jazz still end up with the player everyone thinks will be better once you take potential out of the equation, if it's a risk gm's want to take then it is their jobs on the lines, and who would want to stop a risktaker from teaching everyone what they know?? Even Kanter is not a sure pick for Utah, his potential will be undetermined until he actally gets into the league, in which case the right situation will be undeniably important...people will see if they mess with the ordained order they will be left with no one, these are the rules for dummies, these rules make this draft clear as day. Don't forget these kids can play a couple of years and no one hears from them again, hate to be the gm that it could happen to if u know what i mean.

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 21, 2011 11:31 a.m.

I watched Euro under 18 final game vs France where he scored 34pts and had 18 reb, and he scored on variety of moves, baby hook shots, putbacks, spin move, post up etc. Of course he is not yet polished offensively and has ways to go before he will be legit NBA man but his potential is highest of all this draft big men. I am most impressed with his motor and always playing hard. Add that to great frame and 7'6 wingspan - that is hard to pass. Thats why he is rated above Kanter by Yahoo and Draftexpress mock drafts. Is he a future all star? probably not, but solid hard working, paint patroling 15pts/10reb/2-3blk center - no doubt. I would not have a problem with Jazz taking him and developing him into Noah/Camby clone in 2-3 years. Isn't that what we need most since M.Eaton?

May 21, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Right now, I'm entertaining the idea of having a good fastbreak team, with guys like kanter and favors running the lanes hard, that would be the kind of game i want to watch, it would be fun, and in the west it's really the style of play, you have to be a good running team, but a defensive center like Jv with camby potential is a huge asset for a young team too, especially one like utah or minnesota with their double double machines waiting for a player like that to fall into their laps, like manna from heaven; u don't need as much team chemistry, but the chemistry with kanter in utah will be smashing, smashing i tell u.
    If the Jazz should go a different direction than Kanter they need to take irving who is a perfect fit, or williams who i think might end up being the best player right now, either way the jazz can build with those players too, i'd be happy with kanter at three and with favors we would have a running team that i'd like to watch, even if they stink for a year or two.

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2011 11:51 a.m.

A WhatsInItForMe: haha! draft Jimmer at the 3, that was a good one.

• Utejazzfn3431 Draper, Utah
    May 21, 2011 12:04 p.m.

for those saying to pick Jimmer with the 3rd pick are too biased and using emotion only to make their decision. Jimmer might be good at 12, we could always use a great shooter. I think we need to pick Knight or Williams. Williams if he is available. Jimmer could be a Steve Kerr, which I think would be nice but you don't use a top 3 pick on that.

May 21, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I am a BYU fan first, a Jazz fan second and a Jimmer fan third and I like Jimmer and think he will do well in the NBA.

Having said that, the crucial decision for me about the Jazz drafting Jimmer is simple. Is he the best player in the draft for the Jazz at the 12 pick. Would he help the Jazz more than any other player available.

I think you can make a strong case for Jimmer. However, the Jazz may not need his skill set that badly if they draft Knight at 3.

However, the Jazz plan on playing Knight at SG with Harris for a while. They could just as easily play Knight at SG with Jimmer (eventually). That puts 2 PGs on the floor at the same time and the Jazz run best that way. In the Knight/Jimmer case both can shoot well. This is similar to DWill/Fisher.

Hayward and Knight/Jimmer also make sense.

The Jazz have options. Let's see how good Jimmer's D is in work outs.

Adding 2 shooting PGs to the Jazz adds a lot of fire power and passing capability to the guards. Defense?

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 21, 2011 12:10 p.m.

I worry that Clevland will draft William at #1 and Minn. will draft Kanter, that would leave us Irving but I'd rather have Williams or Kanter.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 21, 2011 12:21 p.m.

Everyone needs to look at he measurement of Knight he didn't measure out that tall, he is 3/4 in taller than Jimmer, 6'1 1/2" without shoes, he has to really stretch to get to 6'3" and he's 175 lbs, I'm not sold on him.
    I hope the Jazz get Kanter or Williams at the 3, I need to read and learn more about Irving.
    At the 12, the Jazz need to get the best player to help their team, that could be Jimmer or it could be Singleton, or Thompson or Harris or even Biyombo, if he fell that far. Montajunas may even fall that far. Talented bigs are hard to find and valuable as trade chips.

May 21, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Irving is the best fit for the Jazz with the roster they have now, in the case he is there at three, i will not be dissapointed w/him at the third pick, however, i like all three of the top picks, it is an easy decision. I am excited about Kanter because he was projected to go three, and he's worth moving some pieces around. Irving or williams also represent endless possibilities w/the benefit they require the jazz to be less flexible, and they move ahead without missing a beat, w/o having to make trades, this is a no lose draft situation for the jazz. kanter, like it or not, has the most bust potential, he looked good in workouts and people will fall in love with him, but he is going to take the longest to have an impact no matter what, and if gm's really put everything in perspective they will have to justify why they a sure thing is worth risking for potential that is mostly unique to the jazz situation. believe me, if kanter is taken before 3 and doesn't work out it will be the gm who loseshisjob.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2011 1:38 p.m.

I thought Jimmer mania was over? Aren't even BYU fans getting a little tired of it?
    Dear Jazz,
    Please do not pick Jimmer.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 21, 2011 2:13 p.m.

The Jazz aren't going to take Jimmer at 12 unless they feel he is the best player available and the player they want and feel will help the team the most.
    It's not a popularity contest. There are too many Jimmer fans that want him because he's a home town boy and from BYU, and there are too many haters, like gonefishn that don't want him even if he is the best player available, just because he played at BYU. I'm a big BYU fan and hope for the best for Jimmer but I want the Jazz to draft the player that will help them the most and has the most potential.
    My top 2 picks would be Williams and Kanter , Irving sounds good but I haven't watched him much. Players that will probably go between 3 and 12 like Vesely, Jonas, Biyombo, Leonard, Knight, would be OK but I'm hoping for Williams or Kanter.
    At the 12 spot any of the above that fall that far or Jimmer, Singleton, Thompson, Harris, Burk, Brooks, would be good. I may like Brooks better than Burk, Thompson or Harris.

• Theeng2 Holladay, UT
    May 21, 2011 2:58 p.m.

What's the deal with Ricky Rubio? Do the Timber Wolves still have him under contract? I wonder if the Jazz could some how get him. Brandon Knight looks good, but I think the Jazz should try to get Williams or Kanter. It's not to often you can get a good PF/C. I don't see any "elite" point guards in this draft, at least not like D-Will or Rose.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 21, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Pundits have been saying that the top two are Irving and Williams. If Kanter shows well and the Timberwolves take him, that may free up Williams (assuming CLE takes Irving). If Williams is available at the #3 spot the Jazz must take him. Too much upside. He will be a star.

That would free up the Jazz to pick up a quality shooter like Jimmer at the #12.

Make it happen KOC.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    May 21, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Lots of opinions on this thread. I'm not sure how all the rest of you are getting into the heads of these prospects and reading their minds, but it's fun to read.

Basic premise - good bigs are hard to come by. As Frank Layden said, you can't coach height. Mark Eaton was hardly a polished, skilled player, but he was 7'4" and solidly built.

You Jimmer-phobes need not worry. KOC and Corin aren't morons. Any ticket selling advantage Jimmer brings will wear off after the first year unless he can really play. If he is the best player in the draft at #12, they'll take him; if not, they won't. The big question is that number 3. I don't see that Knight is enough better than what they have now to take over Kanter. Taking Kanter gives the Jazz some assets to trade to get a better and more polished PG. MHO

May 21, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Irving is no worse than the fifth worst player in the draft and despite dwill.2 who thinks he is rookie of the year, he may be half right, i still think irving will be rookie of the year because of impact, even with jazz, so not a bad pickup at the #3.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 21, 2011 5:46 p.m.

@Scalman--didn't mind your lineup except BURKS is definitely NOT a PG. Go w/ JF.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 21, 2011 10:08 p.m.

@Jazzcop--weren't you and I having the same argument about Irving a few months back?? I think so. If my memory serves me right you were NOT in favor of getting Irving b/c your beloved Harris was our future PG...ring a bell? Jumped ship JAzz cop? You were relentlessly trying to nail me regarding the Jazz trading up and getting Irving and now you want Him??? come on man....

@gonefishn--your hatred towards JF is unbelievable. You obviously have never seen him play bball...pure ignorance. Last time I checked we needed a PURE shooter as we don't have one single one right now on the team. Who is a better, "pure" outside shooter in this draft besides JF?? Talk to me Fishn....please. His stock is going up and I highly doubt he will be avail at #12. So you will get your wish-despite your lack of serious knowledge regarding his talent.....I hope we get him.....and are fortunate at the #12 spot. This is not a popularity contest for me; he is the real deal and you will see soon enough....all of you haters will. Go Jazz.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 21, 2011 10:45 p.m.

All you JF haters read up on ESPN and Fox sports about JF's rising stock at the combine.....we will never get him at #12 is my prediction. If he con't to impress he will leapfrog into the top #10. Again, you haters know absolutely nothing about his game; he is more than just a shooter but the best in the draft at that. Instant offense one scout said from year #1....off the bench of course. He can dish, create, get to the basket, very strong build (only one other PG benched 185 lbs more times), heart, very high IQ, has improved his D/lateral quickness and this will only get better. He can spread the offense like no other and ALL NBA teams we have to respect that.....He is getting rave reviews from the best in the NBA (aka Durrant, Rose, James and Byrant to name a few). Now I will listen to those NBA Stars over anyone on this forum....Are you telling me these all-stars are wrong in??? Gonefishn? You are smarter than that man. JF is the real deal folks and I hope we can land him....

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 21, 2011 10:55 p.m.

Sorry folks one more thing--just read (rumor and no more--just a thought) is that your beloved 19 y/o Kanter has no interest in coming to UT. He would prefer to land in Washington (play w/ Wall I guess). It was also said that he doesn't want to land in Toronto either. If (key word if) this is true who the heck does this punk think he is? Really? 19 y/o and supposedly making this remarks....I say NO unless something magical resurfaces and he starts talking. I like other picks or as Vinnie suggested a young veteran player who is proven.

Captain L and other, I know this is just a rumor but if there is even an ounce of validity to this keep him the heck out of UTAH, period. I don't want to go through another DWill experience anytime soon. I have heard a few other reports surfacing that Kanter has no desire to play in UT. Good, b/c we don't need him as we have Favors. I know AJ is soft but at least he was stoked to come to UT and play--he does have heart....

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    May 21, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Please stop with the daily Jimmer articles...

Can't wait for the draft to come and go so these Jimmer articles will go away.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 21, 2011 11:07 p.m.

JazzRule, should the Jazz land him you will still get more headlines partner??? He's not only grabbing headlines on DN you know.....It's all fun man....exciting times as Jazzer, right? Take it for what it's worth....Go Jazz..

• slgs5aggie Cedar City, UT
    May 21, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Can someone actually do some reporting on how he performed in the combines. They said he did some one on one, working on defense. How did he look? if that is his weakness, report on it.

May 21, 2011 11:46 p.m.

@amgolfer-keep your fingers crossed, again i am not disputing anything w u, u r wrong though, and if u feel u have to respond to something i say then i'd prefer u do it indirectly because i can as easily ignore u as respond to accusations which are not even close to true.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 22, 2011 12:02 a.m.

amgolfer: I wouldn't want Kanter to be drafted by the Jazz either if he doesn't want to come here but I don't think that is the case. Other reports have it that he likes the Jazz and would get up at 4 am in the morning in Turkey to watch the Jazz and Okur. His comments about the Jazz have been positive, he just knows Wall and would like to play with him. If the Jazz can get Williams, Kanter or Irving it will be good, I'm not that sold on Knight, maybe I don't know enough about him but I feel more positive about the other 3. We should be able to get one of them.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    May 22, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Want proof, here it is:
    CHICAGO --- Ask Kentucky big man Enes Kanter whether he sees himself as a power forward or a center in the NBA, and hell give the kind of answer that surely makes league executives smile. I can do either, he said. When I went to Kentucky, coach (John) Calipari told me, You are not just a center. You need to play power forward, too. So I worked on my shot, on my face-up game and I think I can play either now.

But, apparently, he has eyes on being a starting center next year. Kanter measured at 6-11.25 with a standing reach of 9-1.5 and a wingspan of 7-1.5 on Friday. Here at the NBA draft combine, Kanter skipped out on interviews with the Bucks, Raptors and Jazz.
    Kanter did meet with the Wizards, Cavaliers and Timberwolves, and could potentially start at center for each of those teams.

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 22, 2011 10:03 a.m.

@SJ Bobkins... he was 6'11 with shoes, only 6'975 without shoes, only 7'1 wingspan, not athletic, doesn't play above the rim. Compare to Valanciunas 6'11 without shoes and 7'6 wingspan and it is clear who will have more impact on defensive end. We do not need another PF in this draft we need SF or C. If D.Williams is taken before us Jazz need to get Valanciunas. Plus Kanter never played with men while Valanciunas has full year of experience in Euroleague.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 22, 2011 10:51 a.m.

@Captain L--Kanter is good no doubt but if what I'm reading/hearing is true I don't want him b/c he will inevitably want out of UT should we draft him. I will keep looking for this but my gut tells me he doesn't want to come to UT. We will see as I've been wrong many times before:)

About Brandon Knight-he will be solid. No doubt he will have to establish himself more as a true PG. I think he will be good but one never knows. This is such a terribly weak draft that a #25 pick may be just as good as a #5-10 pick. Sad but true.

Bottom line is we will have Kanter, Williams or Irving in the draft. But maybe KOC will mix it up and trade it away for a proven young vet--who knows. I think JF would be solid at #12 but his stock is moving up and may be gone by then.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 22, 2011 10:57 a.m.

#Jazz Cop--fill free to ignore away my friend but you are the one that is completely wrong here regarding comments on Irving. You were not in favor of drafting Irving as you were very high on Harris being our future PG. We didn't need a PG in the draft remember? Please be truthful about this and start remembering. I know a lot of folks that ignore your posts and I maybe I should also join in but I couldn't resist this one b/c of the nonsense you gave me about it a couple of months back.

Oh, one more thing I think speaking to you "directly" is exactly the thing to do. You do it and people all over these forums do it to you...It's the way it is..We will just have to deal w/ that.

Oh, not on the Harris bandwagon anymore? Interesting Cop.....

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    May 22, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Also just want to make another point Cop that Kanter is hardly athletic. He is good/polished but not much athleticism. I know several have said the same thing but I know you changed the subject and didn't say anything more regarding the matter.

May 22, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Kanter can shoot from the outside and he is good on the inside. He is essentially Okur only maybe better.

Valaniunas is more of a C. He is young but he may eventually be another Pau Gasol. He will work more inside and should gain at least 20 more pounds putting him at 260+.

The big question on him is will he come over under the new CBA? If the salaries are cut the the $ is weak will he stay in Europe?

Irving and Knight are the real deal. They are both young and inexperienced but most of their problems solve with time and experience. They will both go in the top 5 picks.

Jimmer is still a ? Is he the best option for the Jazz at 12. Who are the other options? I do not like Burks at all. Klay Thompson is essentially Kover. Jimmer will defend better than that. Leonard may be good IF he can extend his range and improve his shot. He has very large hands which tends to hurt his shooting accuracy?

The Jazz are going to do pretty well in this draft no matter who they pick. An SF is the top priority.

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    May 22, 2011 3:12 p.m.

Bugoff, I agree regarding Burks. He needs to stay in college at least one more year. I like JF at #12 but he very well could go before that as his stock did rise at the combine. Several teams are looking at him including the Bucks who have the #10 pick. We need outside shooting badly as we have no one on the current roster who feels that void. We need a proven shooter now--JF fits the bill and amongst other things he can bring to the table. He will get better on D and frankly how many people stop quick PG anyway? DWill couldn't stop CP3, Rose, Westbrook, etc just like all of the quick PG can't stop DWill from getting to the rack....everyone needs help defense. I would love Williams and JF in the draft unless KOC has some tricks up his sleeve about trading for a proven shooter, SF...we will see. I agree with you regarding Knight and Irving. They are the real deal but not immediately as they are both young and inexperienced as you said. I mean Irving has only played 11 games but has great upside.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 22, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Where ever Jimmer goes, so goes my families and mine allegiance...if it is not the Jazz, so go our season tickets as well.

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    May 22, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Veracity why? I would like to think there is no bigger fan than I regarding JF but if we don't get him it's not the end of the world partner. Don't give up your season tickets; we have great upside and the future looks great. I will always follow Fredette as I have been for the past four years (hardly missing a home game-and no I'm no longer a student at the Y just alum). I too hope we can land him but I will not be fair-weathered and stop supporting my hometown team. True allegiance (as you put it) is sticking by your team through good and bad. I was land blasted when I made a few comments on the forum about being done with the Jazz after DWill was traded; my emotions got the better of me...I quickly came back to reality after a few comments that were made to me on this very sight. I needed to vent yes but also grow-up and I did. I have followed the Jazz since I was 5 yrs old and can't stop now. You shouldn't either. Go Jazz....

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Goodbye then Veracity. The Jazz who were 7th in overall attendance this year (a bad year for the team) are one of 10 teams that have 10,000 or more season ticket holders and were 2nd highest in tv ratings this last year.

You won't be hurting the Jazz, so yeah, bye :)

May 22, 2011 5:20 p.m.

MIL is listening to offers for Jennings. The new Hoopsworld consensus draft has MIL taking Burks. They have the Wolves taking Kantor which makes some sense to me. They have the Jazz taking Williams, Kemba or Knight. Why would you take Kemba over Williams or Knight.

Are the Jazz even doing a work out with Kemba?

I think some of the draft experts have the Jazz doing dumb things so that popular teams drafting later can get players their fans want.

AT 12 they have Utah taking JF, Hamilton, Burks, Thompson or Monte. Nobody knows what the Jazz will do but I am skeptical of them taking Kemba over Knight or Williams at 3.

If MIL trade Jennings (a PG) they will probably move up to get another PG. Jennings and Kemba are similar, small fast and neither shoot that well. MIL could take Knight at 2? That leaves Williams at 3. That also means Kahn traded Knight or Kemba for Jennings.

Lots of rumors.

The highest JF is on the consensus board is the Jazz at 12 and PHO at 13.

Who is working out for the Jazz?

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    May 22, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Thanks bugoff for the info. I agree w/ you--under no circumstances should we be looking at kemba...I will not be happy. I rather have Knight no questions asked. If Williams is avail at #3 we have to take him, right? He would be the best player avail at that moment....man should we pass him up for Walker, wow, not good. I don't think KOC is that stupid.

It will be interesting. It's fun listening to all the speculation. If we ended up with Williams and JF they have done their job.

I also don't want Burks as I think he will be to big of a project. What about Hamilton? Any upside? Texas guy right? Burks has too many flaws right now. I agree w/ Vinnie it that we can't have a bunch of rookies (freshman and sophomore's on the team). We need some good veteran players that have been around for a few years. We have Jefferson, Milsap, Harris, Bell, Watson, CJ and this is about it. I don't know if two or three of them will even be wearing a Jazz uniform.

Go Jazz.

May 22, 2011 7:09 p.m.

people who compare Kanter to Koufos doesnt know a thing about basketball...

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    May 22, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Katashi it's a moot point buddy. You are right as Kanter has way more of an upside that KK will ever have. He is far better. Bottom line, it just doesn't appear that Enes wants to be in UT. Pure speculation I know but if there is any truth to it keep him out of the state of UT. This is the real issue here. Well, possibly his knees as well:-)

I'm pretty sure you would agree w/ the above stated comment. Again, the comparison is a moot point and I wouldn't even indulge in discussing this point as there is non.

May 22, 2011 9:48 p.m.

"Instead, Fredette has tested well athletically, with his knack for creating his own shot among the best at the pre-draft camp in Chicago. Expect Fredette to be drafted in the 12-16 range of the first round, although some think with more individual workouts like his first, he could move up a few spots. "Like everyone after the top two picks, he's a bit of a gamble," the insider said. "But man, for anyone looking for instant offense off the bench, he could be a big hit right away." FOXSportsOhio

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 22, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Everyone needs to watch Kanter on YouTube, watch his draft workout in Chicago at Grovers Gym. He's pretty smooth, not a high flyer but very skilled.
    Someone, (a scout or coach, someone) said Kanter moves around and rebounds like Moses Malone, I'd take that. He has alot more game away from the basket than Moses had though.
    Williams would be another great pick up, I know he hasn't played the 3 in college and I was worried about that but he wants to play the 3 and he's determined to prove he can. With his quickness and speed, I think he can.
    There's a small chance Irving could slide to the 3 spot and that would be good too, I watched him yesterday and he's smooth and does look alot like Paul. He's 6.3 though.
    Any of those 3 players would really be nice, Knight is good but not nearly as smooth or gifted as a point guard as Irving.
    At the 12 spot , its either Jimmer or Thompson, or Brooks, to fill the shooter need or Singleton or Biyombo to fill the defense need. IMO

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 22, 2011 10:37 p.m.

@Kakashi: It is easy right now to put Kosta down after he spend few seasons in NBA and think that Kanter is better, but look what was written about Koufos before draft - in fact scouts were raving about him way more then about Kanter.
    Ten days, thats the amount of time Kosta Koufos spent with the Greek National Team before the Championship started. Only ten days to get to know his teammates, coaches and playbook and merge with them. And just ten days later, he started collecting the MVP award that credits him as the most valuable player in the tournament.
    Averaging 26.5 points, 13 rebounds, 3.5 blocks or 1.4 steals in almost 35 minutes per game, Koufos delivered an almost unheard of statistical effort in the last decade. Nobody has come close to producing those numbers in junior category since 1996.
    Now look at Kanters numbers in same competition: 18.6 pts, 16.4 reb. 1.2 blk.
    Better rebounder? maybe but to say that we can't compare him to Kosta? plus Kosta is legit 7 footer while Kanter is 6'11 with shoes and only 6'9 without.

May 22, 2011 11:00 p.m.

I liked Koufos but he played small. He was 7 ft but he played 6'9". His shot was flat, he telegraphed and his decisions were slow.

He played well his rookie year and then teams adjusted and he started hesitating while he decided to make a move. Koufos plays well when he just plays. He tore up D-league.

That is the problem with a lot of prospects they are great against lesser talent but struggle in the NBA.

Most of the higher ranked PGs have panned out. The bigs are more risky.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 22, 2011 11:01 p.m.

I'll be happy if the Jazz end up with either Kanter, Williams or perhaps Jonas Valaciunas.

At 12, I'm okay with the Jazz drafting Jimmer. Adding Fredette and either Kanter, Valaciunas or Williams would, I think, work well for the Jazz.

If all of the above are gone by the 12th pick, then I'd like to see the Jazz take a serious look at Bismack Biyombo. He's 6'9" (with shoes), weighs 243 lbs., carries a 7'7" wing span with a standing reach of 9'3", has only 4.3% body fat, jumps like Jeremy Evans and is still only 18 years old. He's not a scorer but a defender.

I like to think of Bismack as a much bigger Ronnie Brewer. He is a bit rough around the edges but could become a huge impact player in the NBA if he improves his passing and shooting. Something I believe he is likely to do because of his real desire to improve. He's only been playing organized basketball since he was 14 years old and turns 19 in August.

Bismack Biyombo is from the Congo.

May 23, 2011 8:43 a.m.

@AMgolfer If you watch Williams agility test and sprint on you tube he is impressive. I think he can play the 3 pretty darn well. I also watched him in the tournament. He has range and can explode to the basket. He is not going to be the fastest SF nor is he going to be King James but he is going to be pretty good.

Hamilton is known as a pretty sure thing in the NBA. He is an ideal SF. He has a big ego and a me first attitude but the NBA may fix some of that. There is no doubt he has the tools for SF.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that Kemba has a lot of support from the Eastern media as they over rate the Big East. Further, Kemba is a Jr. and has more experience than Irving or Knight. He has intangibles for running a team and he could run some lotto teams now. He will fit the right team nicely. However, for the Jazz I think he is a BAD fit based on his poor shooting and small size.

The size can be worked around. The shooting is Kryptonite.

May 23, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Valanciunas has a 3 year contract with no buyout that is being negotiated. His current eam needs cash now. If Williams is gone I could see Valanciunas at 3.

The rational would be to get bigger and longer. He will add 20-30 lbs. He is only 18, 240 lbs and he is 7 ft in shoes. He is a C but he and Favors would be a very big wall. Millsap or AJ would get traded to save salary in a couple of years. That means more high draft picks if worked right. He and Favors would have a couple of years to develop (but little playing time).

Valanciunas has a few years of pro experience. He also has improved every year. I would be very surprised if he were there at 12. I doubt if Biyombo is there at 12 but strange things happen in the draft.

The Jazz have put continuity behind them. We are in a new area where KOC will trade established players for high draft picks as the Jazz rebuild and get the right players for the modified flex of Corbin. The draft will indicate who is being built around.

May 23, 2011 9:03 a.m.

KOC has been pretty clear about 2 things.

1. He wants to get bigger and longer.
    2. He wants a PG who can "turn the corner"

I agree with him but I also think the Jazz need a lot more

1.shooting efficiency both inside and outside That is crucial to the flex.
    2. Better D. The Jazz have been mediocre to bad on D for years based on stats and not old reputations.
    3. Most GMs ignore WP48. If KOC wants a winner he has to max the TEAM WP48. Look at CHI, DAL and OKC. They have almost not players with negative WP48. There benches are solid and can step up if someone goes down.

The bench is not a matter of money so much as a matter of careful and astute recruiting. The Jazz have had a weak bad bench for years. With the exception of Watson their back up PGs were bad and most of the rest of the bench were flawed projects.

The Sloan approach of over paying under achieving Vets while nursing flawed projects who would always be somewhat flawed is fortunately going.

KOC is getting more affordable talent.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    May 23, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Jimmer may be every parents idea of the super kid for their daughter to marry or their son to emulate but he would be a total disaster for the Jazz. He is a shorter version of J J Redick who plays for Orlando, and has started 18 games in 5 years. KSL spent a full hour trying to sell him to us last night and I am tired of it. Oh by the way all of our children graduated from BYU and we now have 3 grandchildren there now, so its a great school.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    May 23, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Rookies, rookies, rookies. I haven't heard "one" word about the development Jeremy Evans is likely to make. Where is going to play? I think he potential is unlimited defensively and on offense. How about Memo who is under contract for another year and is completely untradeable until he shows he's over his surgery. Where's he going to play? We know we have Milsap, Favors and Jefferson, now thats 5 bigs, throw in possibly Fess for another year, and maybe Tomic now we are up to 7 bigs. What about wings? Well we have Hayward, C.J. and maybe Harris or Watson depending on the nightly matchups. So we really have 2 wings, isn't that the area we need to concentrate on? Depending on Watson, maybe we need a backup point. I say once again forget the draft, and trade the picks for established players and look at the numerous free agents at positions where our needs are. End of story!

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    May 23, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Just one more comment, is A.K. will be entering his 10th yr, Bell his 11th yr, and Watson his 10th yr in the league. How much more production do they have? You certainly wouldn't want to sign any of them to any long term contract for sure. So I say stay with our youth and fill with realitively young replacements for the 3 above, but not rookies who take at least 2 years to contribute. Favors is proof of that, even as good as he is now he really didn't light up the buildings last year so be careful about filling the roster with youth! Remember we have Hayward, Favors, Evans along with Jefferson, Milsap & Miles who are not exactly old. Go get 2 to 5 year players Kevin instead of draft rookies. This draft is very weak anyway.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 23, 2011 2:09 p.m.

I think drafting Kanter would be a huge waste based on the fact that we do not need an under sized Center.

The fact that this kid blew off his interview does not sit well w/ me at all.

I like Memo, if he is healthy, he will help our team, no need need to draft Kanter. He would be fighting for minutes and get frustrated.

The only way the jazz should draft Kanter, is if he is used in a trade minutes after being selected.

May 23, 2011 6:11 p.m.

@Calgary

you could see the difference between Kanter and Kosta through film...i mean come on...the difference is there...if you really think Kanter would end up like Kosta...you are out of your mind...you cant compare a player to another player...its just wrong...both players have their own abilities...plus...we are talking about a young team here...where in...he would be able to go out and prove himself...plus come on...i watched film about Kosta even before he was drafted...i wasnt really that impressed...watch film before comparing....dont just read...reading is like 25% of it...unless you see it on film...and you see it in person...so really...we cant compare them...cant you see the hustle kanter has on the offensive end...Kosta when he shoots...he wouldnt be able to rebound his own miss...Kanter goes ahead and gets it...again...watch the film...

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 23, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Jazz-Nation: Kanter didn't blow the Jazz off, he scheduled a whole day to meet with them, to work out and have his interview. He's not that undersized, he's 6'11 1/4 and 270 and he's only barely 19 yrs old. Watch this kids workout video in Chicago last week, he is very skilled and a very good rebounder. It is hard to predict how good someone will become but he has all the tools you would want, except great hops.

May 23, 2011 6:27 p.m.

on drafting...I'd rather have Williams...since he would fill the need...or Knight...i think those two players should be a priority...If...we do get Kanter...Either Al or Millsap should go...i think trading memo is not a wise decision...he has an expiring contract...and after the CBA...that would be very helpful on next year's free agency class...im sure dwight, d-will or cp3 wont go our way...but the other free agents should and could be at reach...we could trade his expiring contract if and only if the player coming in...is really worth it...and could be a game changer for us...would you risk on Yao or Oden?...as a sub?

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    May 23, 2011 7:34 p.m.

Please Jazz DO NOT waste another high lottery pick ona point guard.

YOu can get plenty more than good enough point guards later in the draft,

Unless yo can get magic johnsom or isaiah thomas, For a championship team you need lottery, star type players at the 2/3 and 5 positions,

Use the high lottery position to get what you really need and strengthen the 2, 3 and 5 positions.

May 23, 2011 7:56 p.m.

@Jazzsmack

there wont be another Magic Johnson nor there will be another Isiah...plus this is a very very weak draft...its like the draft class of 2000...where in Darius Miles was selected 3rd due to potential...Stromile Swift at number 2...but there were players during the 2000 draft that became all stars...and one of them was a second rounder...this undersized SG named Michael Redd...who happens to shoot the lights out from deep....im not comparing Jimmer with michael redd...but...any player in this draft...could prove everyone wrong...including Jeremy Tyler...he might be better than Kanter for all we know...i just enjoy the speculation of who they will draft...but let's be honest...its still up to the jazz brass on who will they select during the draft...let's just hope that whoever picks 3 and 12 is...they surprise us and becomes part of our young core of Hayward and Favors...

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    May 23, 2011 9:06 p.m.

I can't understand why so many posters think that if the Jazz draft Kanter that Milsap or Jefferson needs to go. Kanter, or Favors for that matter, hasn't proven a thing yet.Favors was the third pick in the draft last year and made the SECOND- team all rookie squad. One would expect that the third pick would make the first squad. Don't get me wrong,I like Favor's potential ,but don't count chickens before they're hatched.I believe you never trade a proven NBA player for an unproven one unless you have to. Especially a big man. Kanter = unproven, Milsap and Jefferson = proven. A team having an extra big man that can play isn't a bad thing at all. Good big men have been traditionally harder to come by than wings and guards. The Jazz need more size in the middle in my view and Kanter can help fill that void. Kanter looks alot tougher than Okur which isn't hard to be, and he does have an outside shot to compliment his inside game.I don't think Okur is ever going to be the player that he was.

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 23, 2011 9:58 p.m.

@kakashi, I watched some videos on Kanter - not impressed. He is just more mature and bigger then other kids in those videos so not a big deal to get those rebounds when you can box out due to 50Lbs difference. What I see is that he is not athletic, doesn't play above the rim, doesn't block shots and lives in a post. All in all smaller copy of Jefferson at best who does not block shots - why do Jazz need him?

May 23, 2011 10:43 p.m.

When we talk about AJ or Millsap getting traded we are not talking immediately. Both contracts are up in 2 years. That is enough time for Favors, Kantor, Valanciunas etc to develop.

The big issue is playing time to develop. The ONLY reason you draft a big is if you think they will be better than AJ or Millsap.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 23, 2011 10:54 p.m.

The Jazz need to get Williams, some teams were interested in the rights to Ante Tomic earlier, maybe they could use that to move down or CJ. I still like Veseley if they can't get Williams.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 23, 2011 10:54 p.m.

Captain L: I know just as much about Kanter as you do. I was saying weeks ago the Jazz should grab him if they were picking at 6, but not with the 3rd over all pick. I think we need a 1-2-3 before a 4 or 5. Just look at our guards and wings right now, it is pretty weak to say the least, we need depth at the 1 and 2 the most.

Maybe draft Williams to play SF, If not, bring back go go Gadget arms!

If the Jazz are thinking that Memo will not return healthy, maybe draft Kanter, who knows? But I think the idea will be depth for next year's squad and hopefully a trade or a free agent that can help us win would be nice.

I would use the 3rd to draft Williams/Jimmer/Knight/Kanter/TRADE in that order

I would think that a trade has to be in the works. Some billionaire NBA owner might make the Jazz an offer that we can not refuse.

No question the Jazz have some tough decisions to make.

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    May 23, 2011 11:22 p.m.

@ Richie-unbelievable. I quote you, "total disaster for the Jazz." Really??? Based on what? You're actually comparing him to JJ R???? Wow. I am in a stupor of thought. Did you watch any basketball this year? With those type of meaningless comments I think you need to take off the blind fold buddy. JJ, when at Duke, could definitely shoot the trey after he came off 3 screens to get open. He still can't create his own shot..hmmm. JF can create his own shot and get to the rim at will. Please educate yourself and watch tape as I refuse to go any further with utter nonsense. That is only ONE thing JF beats JJ at....the rest you can find out yourself as I will not state the obvious. JJ Reddick? Come on Richie. Absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

Oh, no one cares that you had children attend the Y. It's a moot point don't you think? I have two degrees from BYU--do you care? Rhetorical....

JF would be a great pick up as I truly believe he could answer our shooting woes & many other things....Go Jazz.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 23, 2011 11:49 p.m.

The Jazz would be dumb to draft another PG ahead of Jimmer. None of them, even Irving, are really any better than Harris. Similar types of players. I really doubt any of them can be future superstars, maybe all-stars on the right team.

Jimmer outshoots all of the other PGs in the draft. Jimmer is stronger than them. He's built like Deron Williams. One-on-one defense between PGs is not an issue (if you understand NBA basketball). Only two or three can effectively slow down the best "unstoppable" PGs. But, none of those can shoot like Jimmer can.

The Jazz should steer away from Kanter if there is even the SLIGHTEST problem with his knees. He's too young to have ANY joint issues at all. The Jazz lost too many hours in recent years to injuries to draft a guy who might spend time off the floor. Also, he's not impressed me as a franchise type.

The ideal draft would be to pick Williams at 3 and Jimmer at 12, but I doubt either will be there at those picks. So, it'll be a mess to resolve. Trades might get done.

May 24, 2011 2:14 a.m.

@Calgary

depth...if there is no Future for Fes and/or Memo...added Height taller than sap by a few inches...plus...Im pulling for Brandon Knight or Williams...if they chose Kanter...its really up to them...to be honest...we could have a long debate about this...but in the end...on a very weak draft...they'll probably get the next best thing...the only thing i worry about kanter are his Knees...he'll be fine...better than Kosta will ever be...but again... we are having this conversation because you compared him to Kosta...who usually...takes his shots outside...kanter...gets it done inside the paint

May 24, 2011 5:18 a.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

i beg to differ...Kyrie Irving is a pass first point guard...and has a deadly jumper...if a defender goes under the screen...he'll pull up if needed...also i would rather have a pass first PG...i like jimmer dont get me wrong...but he is a combo guard...with a role much like Jamal Crawford...and i dont think we'll be able to get a franchise player this year...since its a very weak draft...much like the 2k draft...

May 24, 2011 7:45 a.m.

Last night OKC totally fell apart when they lost Hardin. The MAVs double teamed Durant and a 15 point lead turned into an overtime loss.

The point is that it only takes one player (in this case maybe the 3rd or 4th player as you have to include Collison's defense)to make the difference between a contender and a loser. Same was true for MEM only it was addition by subtraction.

The Jazz may need 2 players to contend. But they have 3 lotto picks and expiring contracts to remake the Jazz.

Is Jimmer a missing part or is there another player who could fill the need better?

I think Knight will be a very good PG in the long run and he can shoot outside. Further, his defense will be pretty good as he is both quick and long.

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 24, 2011 8:17 a.m.

@Kakashi Kosta was doing it ( taking inside ) against same age kids even better, 25pts average in U18 tourney vs Kanters 18pts. Again, you missing the point, Kanter has not played vs men at all and you think he is next Duncan. He is not, he has very small ceiling due to lack of athletism.

• Viva Los Jazz Garland, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:07 a.m.

I am so relieved that Enes Kanter is going to meet with the Jazz in June. Sporting News radio had said he wanted to go to Washington (maybe because John Wall, who payed at Kentucky, is on the Wizards. This draft has two good centers in the 1st round who are Kanter and Jonas Valanciunas. The Jazz need a center of the future and Kanter is skilled enough he can play along side of Favors or Jefferson. Plus he can be mentored by Mehmet Okur in his own language and who knows if Okur will ever be the same.
    Kanter is a no brainer at number 3 unless Derrick Williams or Kyrie Irving are gone.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 24, 2011 10:57 a.m.

Kanter is a no brainer? Not for the Jazz, we are loaded at the 4-5. He will ride pine behind DF/PM/AJ/MO. Lets draft our biggest weakness.....guards!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Kevin scares me. The Jazz need guards and wings. I have the feeling that he is about to draft another stiff as a big. It would be better to invest some money in Fes rather than take another big from Europe. Get the Fes a private trainer/coach and work with him over the next 5 months. Find his true potential and teach him the game.

Spend the two draft picks on outside scoring or a defensive stopper. Both have higher priority than another big who can't play. Favors and Al are better than anyone in this draft.

Take the Jimmer at the 3. Who cares if he doesn't work out. Do you really think Enes is going to work out?

• mulrich Provo, UT
    May 24, 2011 11:57 a.m.

The Jazz will draft the best player available regardless of position.
    Two examples come to mind of a team that failed to follow this strategy: In '84 Portland took Sam Bowie over MJ since they already had Jim Paxson and Clyde Drexler. In 2007 they selected Greg Oden over Durrant because they already had Brandon Roy.

If Kanter is the best player we should draft him and then worry about the logjam later. Fes doesn't need to be resigned and who knows if Memo will ever really contribute again. We have a lot of players at the 4/5 but that combination of players didn't get us to the playoffs. Until we find a set of players that lets us compete for a title no player should be considered untradable.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 24, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Okay, Jazz fans. Who excited you enough to follow the team all the time every year? Not just a game here or there. What made you an ardent follower?

Back in the day, it was the Stockton-to-Malone thing. Two superstars. Exciting!

Then there was a lull. AK became an all-star (due to the void of talent).

Then came along D-Will-to-Boozer, and we were excited again (not so much for Booz, though). At least one superstar kept us going.

Now, who does the Jazz have on their team that excites you?

I can't think of anyone. As much as I'm impressed with Hayward's future, he's not the one who's going to excite me about following the Jazz.

Enter The Jimmer. Tell me who in this year's draft is more exciting!

Then I'll believe (if I agree--no ringers) and quit my Jimmer rant.

Fat chance, though.

The Combine surely didn't bring forth anyone like that. Not even Enes or Irving or Williams.

A polarizing player like Jimmer is just what the Jazz need to keep fan interest high, not just afloat.

May 24, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Statistically it is far safer to draft a PG than a Big with the first 8 picks. The bigs get more risky the lower in the draft you go.

Williams and Kantor have more risk than Knight at 3. However the need for Williams is greater.

If you look at the stats that predict NBA performance Jimmer is one of 5 PGs who are pretty good. Irving, Knight, Kemba, Jimmer and Reggie Jackson. Irving and Knight are not Wall or Rose but they have a very high probability of being a starter to maybe a super star. The other 3 should eventually start with the right team. Jackson may be the best based on NCAA predictors. Smith of Duke is another late first round PG who is solid.

Again based on predictors the Morris twins, and Hamilton need to be looked with the 12 pick. I do not see Burks at all. He is not a great shooter. He is a slasher and his D is worse than Jimmer's is supposed to be. Vesely may be worth the risk if available at 12.

I think the Jazz go Williams and a PG if they get the chance.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 24, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Look at the teams left in the playoffs. None of them have a dominate center who is the star or one of the stars of the team. Wings and guards win championships in today's NBA. Dirk may be 7 foot by he still plays outside most of the time and Bosh loves shooting the jumpshot.

If you want to win championships, you win it by having scoring guards and 3's on your team.

May 24, 2011 6:10 p.m.

@Calgary

i never said he was the next Duncan where are you getting this? it makes me laugh so hard lol...kindly read my posts...my point is...you cant compare Kosta with Kanter...both are different players...and you do know that Kanter goes up against Jonas Valaciunas...a strong defender...they are rivals in Europe...you cant compare two players who doesnt really have the same game...like i've been saying you just cant compare Kosta to Kanter...plus they will come in different situations...Kanter if drafted will get his chance...Kosta never really got his chance under Sloan...i do however think that we might grab Knight at the 3rd pick...you just dont bash on players and comparing them to guys who really dont have the same game...you're probably one of the guys who booed the Hayward pick last year...lol...

May 24, 2011 6:20 p.m.

@CJ Miles

I agree with you to a certain point...i think you'd still want a guy that would hound the paint on the defensive end and will look to rebound...not necessarily a scorer...Tyson Chandler...Udonis Haslem...when i saw in Game 1 that Haslem played...i knew it would be trouble for Chicago in the next games...Haslem could shoot the open jumper...hustle for looseballs and rebounds...and a good rotation help defender...i think that's what we need...a Big who will defend the paint with his life...hustle for looseballs...and generally do all the dirty work...but i dont see that big on this draft....probably biyombo...but we have too much PFs...

May 24, 2011 6:47 p.m.

i went to a few sites and watch some more film on Knight...based on the pure point rating and assist turnover ratio...Knight was at the bottom...i think he is still transitioning to a point guard role since based from his background...he was the start and end of all plays during HS...Enes Kanter...dropped to 6th on Draftexpress..Jonas Valaciunas went up to 4...and donatas drop to 12th...im not fond of Donatas...since he isnt much of a defender...but he is a terrific offensive player...

May 24, 2011 6:54 p.m.

i also have read some interesting things on jimmer...he is close to a steph curry and a tad behind of deron williams...this was on the draftexpress site but...this isnt about ability...its about his frame...but i think Singleton deserves a crack at the 12...he might be the sf we need to replace the aging AK47

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 24, 2011 7:02 p.m.

@Kakashi... why we can't compare Kosta and Kanter? Both were bigger and stronger then their age kids in U18 championships and both won MVP of those tourneys except Kosta scored 7pts more per average then Kanter. Kosta was dominating inside vs kids same like Kanter did. My point is you can't trust these big South European kids as they mature fast, start dominating their age kids but later fade and when faced with real men they start strugglin. Yeah who knows what Kosta would have achieved if Sloan would have let him play. But you can't tell that Kanter will be different then him as we have not a single game of organized basketball example where he played vs real men. I want to see his shot being blocked few times and see how that affects his confidence - Kosta sulked and disappeared, I am afraid Kanter will be the same.

May 24, 2011 11:56 p.m.

@Calgary

the difference is...their situation coming in...Kosta came in...where in the lineup is pretty much set for jerry sloan...the rotation is pretty much stable...so you must be incredibly good to impress him...to get a crack at the lineup...Kanter comes in a stage where in...nothing is set in stone...there could be a lot of changes within the team...and from his potential and on the standpoint of management...he will get his shot...plus if you compare them to the other competition...i mean...does Kosta have a Jonas Valaciunas to compete against? No...Kanter has a rival...who is more adept defensively...and i dont think its fair to judge Kanter by the performance of Kosta Koufos...totally different persons...different personalities...different situations...plus its still just the start...get back by June when he has his workouts in Utah...

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 25, 2011 9:06 a.m.

@Kakashi and Jazz are not overloaded with PF? What minutes Kanter would get here? We have Millsap,Favors, Okur, AK( if resigned) and Jefferson who all can play PF. Throw in Evans as well and I do not see any reason for Jazz to draft Kanter. Biggest Jazz need in the paint is not a post up game Kanter has, but defensive rebounding and shot blocking. I just don't see him fitting here at all.

• Man in Charge Washington, DC
    May 25, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Jimmer is not worth throwing the 12th pick away for. Stockton and Malone were both taken below 12. Jimmer is not either of these players. The Utah Jazz are not a charity case. At least I hope they're not. Really ask yourself if a guy that hasn't played any defense in college will magically play defense on the professional level. I don't want the jazz to become another run and gun team I want them to be a defensive team.

May 25, 2011 6:09 p.m.

@calgary

continuation of my previous post...

even though Enes Kanter doesnt play above the rim on defense...he is active on D...he moves well...and goes to defensive rotations well...he is a better pick and roll defender than Al Jefferson...there's more to playing Big Man D than block shots....do you want a good example of this, a player who doesnt block a lot of shots but plays good D?...Dennis Rodman...he doesnt block a lot of shots...but he contains his man on the post...im not saying Kanter is Rodman...that's way off...Rodman is a better defender...what im saying is...good D doesnt have to be a block shot...i hope you understand that...if you've played at least High School Ball...you should know that...

May 25, 2011 6:16 p.m.

@Man in Charge

when you say below is it lower than 12 or higher?...because John Stockton was drafted 16...and Karl Malone was 13...and...if you are implying that because a guy like him doesnt deserve to be drafted at 12 because John and Karl was drafted past the 12th pick...you do know this is a very weak draft...and if Jimmer was the best at 12...why pass? im not saying he is the best...but im saying...every prospect out there should be given a fair shot...who knows...one of them could turn out pretty good...just be open minded...instead of...dont draft this or dont draft that...why not say...they should consider this...or that...that's more positive right?

May 25, 2011 6:56 p.m.

@Calgary

they didnt post my first comment...they posted the continuation...

I know there is a logjam at the 4 and 5...that's why the Jazz could explore a trade...if there isnt a trade...im sure they wont do that...this is why on my other posts...i pulled for williams or Knight being drafted...also...Enes Kanter's primary skill...that most scouts see in him...is his rebounding...he crashes the boards...both on D and on the offense...if you really watched film...you could've seen him grab a lot of offensive rebounds...also...playing D doesnt mean you block shots....this is related to my other post....just be open minded...review film...and enjoy the draft process...we still wouldnt know...till the draft day itself...just review all the talent available...come back after the June workouts...we might get more info after that...

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    May 25, 2011 10:23 p.m.

@Man in Charge--Do you understand just how WEAK a draft this is? After the top two everything is a crap shoot. Comparing it to when Stock and Malone were drafted is like comparing apples to oranges. Charity case? Not even worth commenting.

Oh, how many greats don't play D? You can teach Defense but you can't teach pure talent when it coming to JF's range now can you....Do you study the game? JF hardly makes the Jazz a run and gun game; not even close. It opens up their offense and creates opportunities from beyond which we desperately need you and not even you can argue that. Tell me a better shooter in this very weak draft Man in Charge? I'm not saying JF should go #3 but he is a legit #12 if available--IF...in this weak draft.....please stop the comparison to Stock and Malone....point is not well taken....Go Jazz