Utah Jazz: Jimmer Fredette a match made in NBA Draft heaven?

Comments

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    May 20, 2011 12:28 a.m.

Are we seriously going to have to deal with a Jimmer article every day until the day the Jazz don't draft him?

Cant wait for that day to come and go...

• Duds Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:11 a.m.

@JazzRule

The best thing about the internet is you don't have to look at these Jimmer articles everyday. Navigate away from Jimmermania if you want.

If we pick up Williams or Enes Kanter with the 3rd pick, expect Jimmermania to be in full force. Jimmer will be on his way to the Jazz with the 12th pick. If we take Knight, then you won't have to deal with these pesky articles that no one is forcing you to read.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 1:14 a.m.

There is a good possibility MIL takes him at 10. I am glad Jimmer made the comparison to DWill. That was not an idle slip. There are a lot of similarities.

I watched Jimmer's interview. The right side (left brain) of his face was happy, at ease and comfortable. The left (right brain) was the face of a dead serious assassin. I would not under estimate Jimmer.

Williams has declared he is an SF not a PF. Kantor is not doing workouts. There is a chance or at least some speculation that MN will not take Williams leaving him for Utah. That would be Utah's best pick at 3. MN could use Kantor or Valaniunas a lot more than they could use Williams.

V can stay in Europe and play during the lock out year and mature and get better. MN could use an up grade at C badly.

If the Jazz got Williams and Jimmer they would do pretty well. If they got Knight and Leonard they would still do okay but I would rather have Williams at SF.

KOC seems focused on PGs who "can turn the corner". There is more to it.

I think

• Duds Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:26 a.m.

@JazzRule

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 1:27 a.m.

Williams shooting ability was more important than his average defensive ability. His passing ability and basket ball knowledge made him a great PG but his ability to hit 3 opened up the inside so Brewer could slash and the bigs could operate.

The Harris Kemba type PGs may be fast but they do not assist a lot nor do they make the overall team better. The rest of the team is a support to them and their inefficient shooting. DWill made the rest of the team better and could bail them out with the long ball when needed.

Jimmer is an excellent mid range shooter, he is going to be deadly in the pick and pop. He can run the Jazz and make the rest of the team better. He also would fit an inside out team like ORL or a fun and gun team. If Nash can run PHO, Jimmer can run NY. I am not sure how well he fits MIL.

However, Walsh loves Faried not Jimmer.

I am waiting to see Jimmer's combine stats. His interview suggests he is pretty confident of his lateral quickness, agility and sprint results. I think he moves up.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2011 5:11 a.m.

@JazzRule - go take a nap till June 23rd. If he becomes a Jazz, then don't read anymore on DN.

I will come to the game upcoming season for the first time if Jazz take him.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 20, 2011 5:21 a.m.

I say let the poor guy escape Utah....

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 20, 2011 5:28 a.m.

to those bashing the dude...give him some credit...he lifted his team on his shoulders...you dont want to eat your words if he falls to another team and torched us for 20 or 30 pts....

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 20, 2011 5:41 a.m.

I agree that the Jazz will probably take Williams or Kanter with the third pick, although I would still like them to select Irving if he is available. I think that Knight, Walker, Burks and Jimmer might be gone by pick #12, especially if Jimmer and Burks do well at the combine. I think KOC should try and move up from #12 to at least #10 with some kind of trade.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    May 20, 2011 7:08 a.m.

Geez, Lebron James praising Jimmer?! That is seriously cool!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 20, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Most pundits feel Irving and Willams are the top 2 picks in the draft. The Timberwolves may not need Williams because of Beasley, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll fall to the Jazz. They could trade the pick. If for some reason they (or CLE) don't draft him, KOC would be dense not to take him.

If they don't get a chance on Williams, I see them taking Brandon Knight over Kantor.

Either way, if the Jazz are not interested in Jimmer at the 3, my guess is he will be unavailable at the 12. Someone's front office is going to roll the dice on him. So, as cool as it would be, I see Jimmer in a uni other than the Jazz.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 20, 2011 7:45 a.m.

Scalman, Burks declined to participate in the shooting drills for good reason, he can't shoot, not what the Jazz need.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 7:56 a.m.

If the reasoning is to take him and tank the season to hopefully get sullinger next year, not a bad idea.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 7:58 a.m.

If Williams falls to us that's a no-brainer pick. If he dorsnt than Knight would be the logical pick there. If we get Williams than Jimmer is a possibility. If we get Knight than Jimmer wouldn't be a logical pick at 12. But if there isn't anyone there at 12 that KOC has ahead of Jimmer on their board than I could see them taking Jimmer, and have those 2 battle it out in camp for the backup role to Harris, and eventually take over when Harris contract is up.

Shooters are a premium in this league you could never have enough

• COOL HAND LUKE Logan, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:02 a.m.

Dude, why all the hate??? I'm a true blue Aggie fan all the way! But you have to give a guy credit regardless of what school program he went to. I watched Jimmer at the combine yesterday (along with some of the other hopefuls) I think he shined. His shot from NBA three looks effortless. It looks like he's taking a 5 ft jumper. He much stronger and athletic than most give him credit for. Buggoff is absolutely right that many other teams are salivating. Deadly 3 pt shot, 90% free throws. Hopefully the Jazz will depart from some of the old plays, (4 C, 4 C down) etc., and open up the offense for more 3pt. plays. If so he's a dead lock for the Jazz. However he might not be available at 12. If he's not Alec Burks/Singleton look like a good fit. Kanter did work out at the combine yesterday, he's gonna be a beast down low. I hope Fez, get another chance with Utah, as he could be that force down low. (he needs a lot of help though) Things are looking up. Any thoughts?

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:36 a.m.

When I first watched Jimmer play,his game reminded me of Deron Williams game, same build, deadly cross-over, can create off the dribble and finish and get to the line.

I have heard several NBA players praise Jimmers game, all of them think that he will do great at the next level. He won't see as many double teams, so expect a lot of open looks.

If Jimmers career is going to be like D-Will's, the Jazz should draft him 3rd over all, just to make sure we get him. Everyone says that this draft is weak, so it would not be a stretch to draft the best and most highly decorated college player in Jimmer.

There will be plenty of talent available at the 12 spot to bring a guy in that can help our bench production and possibly challenge for a starting spot.

My opinion on Jimmer is strictly based on his resume, I could care less about his color of skin, religion or what school he went to. His resume is exactly what this Jazz team needs.

Draft well, go Jazz!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:41 a.m.

Who knows what will happen, and if Jimmer will go to a team where he will thrive. But this much is sure, the Jazz system was Jerry Sloan's system, and Sloan is not there any more.

• whatnext Clearfield, Utah
    May 20, 2011 8:53 a.m.

I am a long time BYU fan and enjoyed the run BYU had in the tournament. I also enjoyed watching Jim Freddette play ball. He was exciting to watch. I think Jimmer has a lot of talent and shows alot of potential in becoming and outstanding basketball player. He may not have shown much in way of defense during his college playing days, but I think he has the talent to develope into a solid defender in the NBA. I hope the Jazz pick him up but if not he will do very well with the team that picks him in the draft.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 8:55 a.m.

If the Jazz go Kantor then Millsap will have to move to SF in the next 2 years. Millsap could drop 20 pounds, he will improve his range and outside shooting, but I do not think he has the foot speed to become King James2.

Millsap's 82games stats at SF are horrible.

On the other hand, Millsap could be traded and the Jazz would have a front line rotation of AJ,Favors and Kantor. That is formidable.

I like Knight but he turns the ball over badly and his decision making and court vision/understanding is still developing. You are drafting potential at 3.

If Jimmer does really well at the combine GS or MIL will take him before the Jazz draft.

I can live with the Jazz taking another good player at 12 (not Burks or Walker) but I think Jimmer could really help the Jazz in the long run. His approach to the game, work ethic and his understanding of how to attack defenses are worth more than his shooting ability.

The total package is going to be very good in two years.

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    May 20, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Those bashing Fredette are probably the same ones bashing Hayward last year. They just like having negative things to say.

As far as I can tell, Fredette is the only guard in the draft who will have no problems adjusting to the NBA range 3-point line. All the other guards are drive and dish kinds who can finish well at the rim. Even Irving does not appear to have great range. When I look at it that way, I wonder why people think we need to replace Devin Harris. He is a proven guard in this league, and an all-star caliber PG when he is on a decent team. If we have any chance to take Derrick Williams at 3, we should do it, then take Fredette at 12.

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    May 20, 2011 8:59 a.m.

I could honestly see Fredette going before the 12th pick. I hope not. I think the Jazz will take a chance on him if he is available at 12--they want players that are happy to stay w/ the jazz. The last thing they want is to draft another star player who wants out f the organization after a year or two. (ie D. Will). Jimmer is the type of player who would definitely stick in Utah.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:05 a.m.

He's got a long way to go to prove he can defend. Virtually all the experts commenting on him have pinted that out and the games I saw him play in he got beat by his man multiple times on defense. Jackson Emery saved his bacon soooo many times. He's a point guard with Carlos Boozer mentality.

• Brighton Alum Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:11 a.m.

There is a real arguement to be made for taking Jimmer at number 12--I personally don't think it is worth the risk but that's just me. I can see how others may feel the 12th pick is a justified gamble-- but you lose all credibility when you start suggesting he should be taken with the number 3 pick...that is just not a realistic option.

• Synergizer Bunny North Salt Lake, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Much has been said about the unknowns about Jimmer's defense. I'm not worried about that at all. It's much easier to develop defense than offense at this level. In the NBA, just like you can't coach height, you really can't coach shooting, and Jimmer needs no coaching in this area. What a bargain he would be for the Jazz at number 12.

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:31 a.m.

If Jimmer is available at the twelve, I think the Jazz should take him. Here's why:
    -the Jazz need someone that can shoot the three, Fredette can. Worst case scenario, I see Jimmer hanging around the league four or five years based on that skill alone. There's a place for the Kyle Korvers and Fred Hoibergs in the NBA.

-He wouldn't hate Utah. Let's face it, how many NBA players would actually prefer Salt Lake over other NBA cities? Why draft someone who is going to be gone in two years?

-The 12th pick is not going to be an all-star. As I look over the 12th pick for the last twenty years, I see names like Greg Anthony, Austin Croshere, Vladimir Ramanovich. Maybe decent players, but who would say that Jimmer doesn't at least have the potential to be better than all of them? Taking him at twelve really isn't a gamble.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:45 a.m.

@ Bugoff
    I enjoyed and mostly agree with your comments here today.
    Maybe we can make a trade with the 12 pick to move up enough to make sure we can get Fredette. We could take him with the 3rd pick, but I would hate to pass up a chance to get Williams. Fredette can flat out shoot the basketball and as you pointed out thats not all he brings to the table. I do like Knight but I'm wondering if Fredette doesn't have more of what we need.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 20, 2011 9:51 a.m.

I'm struggling with who to listen to - Kevin Durant and LeBron James think Jimmer's a great player and will do great in the NBA, but Chris B doesn't think so. Maybe Chris B knows something that Kevin, LeBron don't know?

Come on CB . . . let your hatred of everything "BYU" go, and accept the fact that Jimmer's a great player.

• notafanofbigcats Magna, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:57 a.m.

As a Ute this pains me, but at this point the Jazz would be foolish not to draft JF, if he is available at #12. My rationale for this is simple. First, KOC seems goofy sometimes, but he's nobody's fool. I booed louder than anyone when he took Hayward last year and thus far I am eating crow. I think he and the Jazz mgmt. realize that if JF is available at twelve, and the Jazz don't take him, they'll never hear the end of it; especially if JF turns out to be more than serviceable.

Moreover, I think the Jazz could reap huge amounts of $ with all of the money they'd rake in off of jersey sales, although JF would have to change his number, because #32 happens to belong to a HOF statue out in front of ESA. Hey, JF could change to #8 since that one is available and many folks already own that #. Lol.

In any case, no way out of this for Jazz mgmt., but to draft him, if available. If he turns out to be a bust, mgmt. could wash their hands and tell fans: 'You wanted him.'

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 10:08 a.m.

The Jazz moving up from 6th to 3rd might cost them a chance at Jimmer.

They might have picked him at 6th because by then all of the worthy bigs would have been gone.

But now, it'll be tough for the Jazz to pass up a talented big at 3. They can only hope Jimmer isn't picked by the 12th.

Maybe make a trade to get higher than 12th for that second pick?

Maybe Jimmer can dumb down his efforts at the combine to dissuade other teams from picking him.

I'm sure the Jazz know exactly what they'll get in Jimmer. They've seen him in person in "real" games often enough.

I wish his defensive efforts at the combine could have been seen on TV. Apparently they'd rather show shots of guys standing around while they talk about them rather than let you see the action on the floor.

Jimmer thought he did well defensively. I don't think he's wearing blinders. He understands when he's doing well or not.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 10:10 a.m.

If LeBron James thinks Jimmer is great at making plays off the bounce, maybe some of the so-called experts ought to open their eyes a little wider.

All this talk of taking Knight over Jimmer is silly. The Jazz already have a Brandon-type PG in Harris.

The Jazz need a D-Will type (Jimmer).

The real question: Is it guaranteed that any of the bigs available at 3 will make a bigger impact on the Jazz future than Jimmer might? If not, draft Jimmer at 3 and trade or go free-agency for more bigs.

If you're drafting a big at 3 just because he's the best available in the draft, then that's dumb. It's not that good of a draft. Pickin's are slim.

This Jazz franchise needs a superstar, and none of the bigs available strike me as that. Jimmer, on the other hand, could be another D-Will with greater range and more of a propensity for getting assists.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 20, 2011 10:43 a.m.

First off, Jimmer will not be available by the 12th pick.

The Jazz are not going to draft him because they don't see him worth the 3rd pick unless they see him being the point of the future to replace Dwill.

At this point looking at those in the draft, I would take Jimmer with the 3rd pick and take my chance. Enes is a bigger risk than Jimmer. The Jazz need outside shooting worse than anything else on the team. Why would you not take the best shooter/scorer in the draft at #3? All year long that's all you guys complained about was the outside shooting and now you want them to draft a useless big euro!!

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:50 a.m.

I used to like Jimmer Fredette way back when we could talk about him as a basketball player. Now people become violently offended if you're not all about "the Jimmer." Heck, we now even have people saying they'd go to their first Jazz game if they drafted Jimmer.

I finally figured out the perfect comparison for Jimmer Fredette--Jason Williams (U of Florida). Both players can create their own shot and shoot lights out, often with crazy stuff. Both players are great passers, though their teammates often have no idea what they're going to do. Both players are pretty bad at defense. Similar to Jason Williams, I imaging Jimmer will make a living in the NBA.

• Bob Cratchet Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Taking Jimmer at 3 is crazy. He will have a relatively smooth transition into the NBA game, but will not have the impact on the team as a Williams or Kanter. Those are the no brainer picks at 3. The Jazz need a 1 or 2 guard but there aren't as many good guards as bigs in this draft. Take Williams or Kanter which ever is available and then pick up a guard at 12. I think that a deadly shooter like Jimmer would be perfect at 12, but he's not the only one with range in the draft.

• hoopsgirl Draper, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:53 a.m.

For those of you who are still harping on Jimmer's lack of defense, get over it. We don't know about his defense because Rose couldn't afford for him to play defense at BYU. Jimmer had NO supporting cast, no one to pick up the scoring slack if he ended up on the bench in foul trouble. I saw him play for the first time at the MWC tournament. The first game I saw, I knew right then that BYU being ranked 3rd in the country was a fluke. But as I watched Jimmer, (being the BYU hater that I am) I had to pick my jaw up off of my lap several times! He is a player for sure. How he does in the NBA will depend on the team he ends up with and the coaching staff. I say we for sure take Williams if he's available and I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with Jimmer.

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    May 20, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Contrary to many posters, I am not a big fan of picking Knight with the 3rd pick, even if DWilliams is gone.

Instead, assuming that the Cavs draft Irving #1, they will need to drop one of their PGs and what I think the Jazz should do is trade either Bell (preferably) or sign and trade CJ for Ramon Sessions. We would then have two 6'3" above average, proven PGs.

If DWilliams available at #3, then obviously pick him as we have the need. Then draft Marshon Brooks at #12.

If Williams is not available, one option is to draft Kanter with hope of replacing Okur or even Milsap. And then Brooks at #12.

Alternatively, if Williams not available, and Kanter doesn't look like a good fit/too many concerns, then trade the #3 pick to Charlotte for their #9 and #19 and draft Chris Singleton and Marshon Brooks- these guys look like they are going to be impact players in the years to come.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    May 20, 2011 11:29 a.m.

I think this whole draft thing is somewhat of a crapshoot. I honestly don't think Irving is better than Jimmer. I could make an argument that Jimmer is a better pick at number 1 than Irving.

There are a couple other players I think are better than Irving. I think Marshon Brooks might be a superstar at the next level. He's 6'5" SG who can score from anywhere on the court. He has a 7'1" wingspan, great shooting, great ball handling, can create his own shot, decent defender, blocks shots etc... The first thought when I saw him was Kobe Bryant and not 30 seconds later, the announcer mentioned the same thing. This kid could be an incredible NBA player. If he was a Kentucky player he would be 1st to go.

I wouldn't be upset if the Jazz took Jimmer with the 3rd pick and Brooks with the 12th pick. This draft is more of a crap shoot than others in recent memory. Also Jazz are not afraid of reaching just a bit. Look at Hayward last year. Most had him as a late 1st rounder and Jazz took him 9th.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    May 20, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Jimmer is the Cole Aldrich of last years draft. I'm glad we didn't pick him.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    May 20, 2011 11:42 a.m.

If the Jazz have Jimmer at the top of their draft board, and think there is a chance he will be gone at 12, they might take him at 3 because I think they are one team that will not be swayed by hype. I think Irving is Hype. He was never double or triple teamed like Jimmer was. Look at the stats. Who would you take?

Kyrie Irving - 17.5pts4.3assits.4623pt3.4reb.0.5blk1.5stl
    Jimmer Fredette - 28.9pts4.3assists.3963pt3.4reb0blk1.3stl
    Marshon Brooks - 24.6pts2.5assists.3403pt7reb1.2blk1.5stl

Because Marshon brooks is a senior and from a small school, he is slated to go late in the first round. I have determined that these scouts are crazy.

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    May 20, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Anybody else see the tweet that says Kanter blew off the Jazz interview? Quality individual there.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 12:34 p.m.

There is not real size in this draft.

Kantor wants to be drafted by the Wiz. Kahn may draft another PG. MN hates Flynn and getting Rubio to come in a lockout year looks pretty iffy to me.

At one time Bell was supposed to be traded for Flynn. KOC's bias at PG worries me more than some of Sloan's biases. Like KOC I want a PG who can turn the corner, but I also want efficiency, 3 point shooting and adequate defense.

There is a chance MN (if they don't trade) will take Knight at 2 (assuming they can't get Rubio).

Kantor is about the only real big in the combine lotto. The rest including Williams are shorter than advertised (combine stats).

Kemba is a little taller than thought. I am most worried about his volume shooting.

MIL has an interest in Burks. I am starting to warm up to Leonard but also think Jimmer will do well with Utah, LA, ORL or a fun and gun team. Jimmer would do well on a triangle team where PG skills are less important and shooting is a premium.

The top 10 are shifting.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 20, 2011 12:53 p.m.

If Jimmer can put fans in the seats, then it is worth the pick.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Jimmer may move up some as expected but I am not sure how much he moves up above 12 if any. There are players below him who are also moving up.

The Jazz will have their pick of Williams, Knight, Valaniunas, Kanter and Vesley at 3. Given KOC's biases at PG Kemba has to be added to that list.

Williams and Vesley fill a need. Vlaniunas and Kanter make the Jazz bigger and eventually move Millsap to SF or get him traded. Knight and Kemba are a move to replace Harris.

Since KOC is usually very quiet about what he is up to I would not be surprised if he did the unexpected with the 3 pick.

The Jazz need shooting, size and defense. This draft is limited. They have lots of options in trades, free agency and wheeling in the draft.

I do not see one player in this draft who is a make or break for the Jazz. There are a lot who can help them improve, win or fix salary problems.

Kantor can shoot from the outside. He is a replacement for Okur.

One other thought follows.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 1:04 p.m.

If the owners actually get a hard salary cap it changes the financial situation of the Euros.

The $ is weak. Many Euros will play over there during the lock out. Many Euros who would come to the NBA will not come over since they can get better money (with a hard cap in the NBA) in Europe.

Rubio etc. May never come over. He would be nuts to sign with MN until after the new CBA. He may be nuts after the new CBA.

Vesley and Valanuinas become more problematic to bring over under the new CBA. That may drop them and other internationals like Biyombo.

This draft is going to be interesting. Expect some shifts in the leader board as the work outs progress.

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    May 20, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I agree with JazzFanMontana that Marshon Brooks is one to watch- 2nd in the nation in scoring on a bad team in the Big East where the defense was focused on him! Plus, ridiculous measurements. I like Jimmer, but this guy has more upside as a SG.

Another trade scenario if the Jazz don't want Kanter and DWilliams is gone-
    Trade #3 pick and Okur to Wizards for #6 and Blatche- for those who are uber nba trade smart would this be approved? I would take McGee straight up, but I don't think Wizards would do that.

Pick up Brooks and Singleton with the #6 and #12 and you have a pretty good backup center, albiet overpriced, in Blatche. I would still trade Bell for Sessions to round things out.

Lineup
    Harris/Sessions/FA Combo Guard
    CJ/Brooks/
    Hayward/Singleton/FA
    Millsap/Favors/Evans
    AJ/Blatche/FA

A much better team than end of last year. Moreover, salary for signed players would only be less than $55M leaving some room for FA signings.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Most experts are saying this is a weak draft which gives Jimmer a great opportunity to move up, if he can show some defense. In a lot of games this season he would barely even raise his hands above his waste and played 5 or 6 feet off his man most of the time. That allowed a lot of players to blow right by him. He seemed disineterested in defense, but when BYU had the ball he would constantly call for it. I think an attitude adjustment is in order. He has the ability to play defense he just needs to actually do it. A point guard who doesn't defend isn't going to be worth much in the NBA.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Kanter refused to meet with the Jazz, so that's done. No Seikaly Jr's please; in fact, no Euros ever, please. Brandon Knight is a toothpick, and LOL at UK listing him at 6'4".

Kawhi Leonard, 6'6" W/O shoes, 7'3" wingspan, loves to play defense, hardest working guy in the Vegas pre-combine gym.

As for Jimmer the midget, LOL. His measurements were much smaller than anticipated. And he's a terrible fit for where the Jazz are now. He'd be perfect for the run/gun/no D Knicks, or the shoot wide open 3's from LBJ & DWade kickouts Heat.

Chris Singleton at 12 along with Leonard at 3 are a pair of nice building blocks, glue guys. Don't try to hit homers out of the Grand Canyon. A couple solid line drive singles is fine in this barren draft; maybe leg one out into a double.

CJ/Bug, we need defense, length, athleticism & toughness more than anything else. Leonard & Singleton are the guys.

LAJF, Okur for Blatche does not work. Wiz would have to include Evans. Wiz prolly do it for Kanter, if Leonard's at 6, fine by me.

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    May 20, 2011 2:05 p.m.

@BillM75, I know that Okur for Blatche does not work straight across (such as during season trade), but what is the #3 pick worth? There has to be some offset there and perhaps with a trade exception thrown in it would work.

You propose drafting 2 SFs. Does that mean moving Hayward over to SG (w/Bell) and not signing CJ? Will the young guys all start from the beginning?

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 2:23 p.m.

Haven't seen stats yet, but Jimmer did NOT look slow in the 3/4 court run, nor in the 4-pole agility test. In fact, Kemba looked slower and oddly herky-jerky in that agility test. Weird.

Does anyone know where all those stats they were measuring today can be found? The TV commentators were lamenting not getting them. Maybe they won't get published?

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 20, 2011 2:30 p.m.

With Kanter dissing Utah i'm back to Veseley, with his 40" vertical at 6'11" and the quickness to defend the 3 spot he's a freak of nature. Sorry BillM I like Singleton but the worst mistake the Jazz could make would be to draft 2 guys that can't make 3's, their one of the worst perimeter shooting teams in the NBA as it is.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    May 20, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Reports are coming in that Kanter is not dodging Jazz. They just rescheduled for June 2 so the Jazz could spend most of the day with him for interveiws and work outs.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Jazz won't pick Jimmer. They have a long standing approach of not taking a "hometown guy" unless they are 100% sure that the guy will be a successful NBA starter. They've said a hundred times that taking the local guy only puts undue pressure on him and on the team to play him. Once a local has been in the NBA for a while and establishes himself for who and what he is, then the Jazz feel better about acquiring him (see Tom Chambers, Fred Roberts, Jeff Judkins, Pace Mannion etc etc etc). Can't really blame them, I am sure there are people who beleive that Jimmer should start on any team in the NBA and there are people who think he shouldn't even be in the NBA. Both groups attend Jazz games.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:34 p.m.

If utah does have a chance to take Jimmer and we don't. I can't wait for all the nay sayers to hate utah for not taking this kid when he tears it up in this league. All you doubters Chris B and company (ute fans in general) who think they know so much about a player or the game itself. Just listen to his peers.

Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul, D-Will and many more,OR Chris B, Hedgie, and the other utah haters. (you figure it out)

Ute fans quit hating, he won't destroy your beloved Utes anymore. (just enjoy the nightmares he gave you for the rest of your lifes).

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:37 p.m.

If they plan on passing on Jimmer at #12 I think they should trade it down and try to come up with 2 later picks, I love the upside on Noguera. Jeremy Tyler and Marcus Morris impressed me at the combine and but don't think they would use the #12 pick for any of them.

I hope though that Derrik Williams slides to the 3.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Marshon Brooks not Marcus Morris

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 20, 2011 4:41 p.m.

I still think the number 1 need of the Jazz is outside shooting. CJ should be a slasher, not a 3 point shooter. After the outside scoring, it would be interior defense. With Favors and Jefferson, there is plenty of length. If Jefferson would commit to play defense, there is no neeed for drafting big with Memo coming back. Pick up a big in free agency if there is a future need. Don't forget that Memo is supposed to be back next year.

They could draft big at the #3 spot and trade away their #3 pick for a proven shooter after the draft. They could package Bell and the draft picks for a shooter. They have lots of options.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 5:38 p.m.

CJ Miles | 4:41 p.m. May 20, 2011
    Dallas, TX

WOW I agree with you on this. I hope that is the last time that happens LOL

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 20, 2011 6:16 p.m.

Miles; I don't think we can count on Okur at all, it will surprise me if he can come back and be a major contributor.
    BRuss: I hope your right, I really like Kanter, we need more size and especially when that size has so much offensive ability and is such a good rebounder. If we took Kanter, we could then look to move Big Al and see what we could get for him, he should bring a or a couple of quality players. Big Al is good, but he also is a poor defender and that was one of our biggest weaknesses. At the 12 spot, Thompson may not be too bad, he is a good shooter and he is long. I'm sure KOC and staff will research things thoroughly.
    I like either Kanter or Williams at the 3, (if Kanter isn't a dogger), Williams is very athletic and wants to play the 3, I think he can and he would be just what we need.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 6:28 p.m.

The biggest immediate improvement for the Jazz' outside shooting would be for CJ to never take an outside shot again.

I'm going to be very pessimistic about Memo. He was supposed to be ready to go and his back went out almost immediately and his Achilles turned out to be not so ready after all. Terrible mistake by the Jazz.

If the Jazz took Leonard (8'10" reach! and 5.4% bodyfat, or about half of CJ's %) and Singleton (a bit taller than Hayward, but not as long the freaky Leonard; 36.8% on 3's, or about double CJ's %), I would rotate them with Hayward depending on the matchups, as both Gordon & Leonard can play the 2-3.

I'd pass on CJ's option, keep Raja for dire emergencies unless he can be dumped in a trade, and re-sign AK for cheap, which dumping CJ would help with.

Well anyway, fun to argue about, have to see what happens. Leonard's workout video was very impressive tho I can't link it, but it's embedded on a major draft preview site.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 20, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Ute fans think they know everything about Jimmer and how he won't succeed here, because Utah use to be good in the 90s.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 20, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Draft Jimmer if available @ 12 and stick him in Orem with the Flash.. fill the stands down there and give him a couple years. Then make the decision based on his defense and team work he shows. That way Corbin won't be harassed and forced to listen to 5,000 BYU die hard fans from the cheap seats yelling JIMMER , JIMMER every time he makes a substition.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 10:24 p.m.

I think there is a chance Williams will be available at 3. MN may have to draft a PG. They want to move Flynn and they are not likely to get Rubio to commit before the hard cap CBA is clear.

If they can't get Williams at 3 they have to take a serious look at Vesley. AK will get strong interest from NJ and will probably play in Russia during the lock out. The Jazz can't count on AK being back. Hayward and CJ could cover the SF for a year but they are both better at SG.

For the Jazz to draft Vesley they would have to know for sure he would come.

The Jazz have a lot of good options at 12. 12 will play out on draft day.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 20, 2011 11:12 p.m.

BillM75: Defense is nice but you also need to be able to score points to win if the Jazz take a SF it needs to be Williams, Veseley or Brooks. Small forward is a position that needs to supply offense. Singleton I could live with at the 12th pick since he has the versatility to defend 4 positions but Leonard is a tweener with no outside shot. It makes absolutely no sense to draft 2 small forwards anyway. If you are so in love with SF's that play defense and can't shoot AK wants to stay with the Jazz.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    May 21, 2011 12:20 a.m.

This is going to kill me to say this, however, the Jazz do need an outside threat to open it up for the bigs inside. I'm closing my eyes and typing this. Mom, don't read this.
    Pick Jimmer #3 and then do some heavy trading for a big and get rid of the guys who ride the bench or is past their prime or always hurt.
    Can I open my eyes yet.
    Nope, but I'm sending it anyways.

• Salt lake teams rule Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2011 8:20 a.m.

I certainoy hope the jazz don't waste the 12 pick on jimmer. If they want to trade down to about 20 and draft him I'm fine with that but how many 6'2" shooters have made it the NBA with as little athleticism as Freddette? Steve Kerr is 6 4, but he is the only person can think of in recent history. It took JJ Redick, a taller, more athletic version of Freddette about 6 years to figure it out in the NBA. We already have Hayward, CJ, & Bell under contract. As a Ute fan even I got caught up in jimmermania, but let's not be stupid, he's not worth the 12th pick. Jazz brass had better be able to recognize that.

I'd love to see us package our 2nd and 12 pick together and get that cat out of Arizona to eventually put CJ back in his 6th man role.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 21, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Can't think of anything Sweeter than the Unanimous National College Player of the Year, from the Brigham Young University Cougars, taking up residence in the Hometown of the Utah Utes.

Lest they should ever forget!

• Markogarp Olympia, WA
    May 21, 2011 10:20 a.m.

I sincerely hope Fredette doesn't come to the Jazz. It's not that he can't be really good, it's just that I believe there will be better options for us at #12. I really like another ex-Cougar by the name of Klay Thompson, who I believe to be as good a shooter, but is better all-around. If Klay had played at BYU instead of Jimmer, rest assured his offensive stats would have been comparable.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 21, 2011 10:56 a.m.

@Salt lake teams stink: It's obvious how bad you hate anything connected to BYU but JJ Redick more athletic than Jimmer? You've outdone yourself, and need to get a life.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    May 21, 2011 11:00 a.m.

I like Jimmer,Klay Thompson,Marshon Brooks or Chris Singleton.Jordon Hamilton could also be a possibility with the #12 pick. I'm sure things could change by draft day but as of now these are the guy's I have honed in on for our 2nd pick in the first round. The #3 pick looks like Williams or Kantor with Knight A distant 3rd possibility.

• Brighton Alum Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2011 5:38 p.m.

It is amazing to me that just because someone has the OPINION that Jimmer is not the best fit for the Jazz that they are instantly labeled as Evil and as BYU & Jimmer haters. Time and time again the best college players do not have success in the NBA. Just because people may feel that Jimmer is not the best player for the Jazz does not mean that they hate him!!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 23, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Judkins got Majeras to do the same thing with Keith Van Horn. He convinced Majeras to let Van Hirn focus on offense & not play as much D. The UTES had Miller, Doleac, Hansen, & Jensen, all great defensive college players to pick up the slack. That hurt Van Horn once he got to the NBA. Even though Van Horn was tall, since he did not practice any D in college, he was unable to catch up at the NBA level and learn how to play defense. Rose did he same with Jimmer, & I think it will hurt him. No doubt Jimmer is an amazing scorer, with unlimited range, but if he can't guard the quicker PG in the league, he won't be onthe court for too long, & will only be in when other back ups are in. If Jimmer learns to play D, he could be a good player for a long time. That's a big if though. If the Jazz take him at 12, fans can't be too upset. He would be no worse than Korver was. Except his little fro. The women folk won't like him as much. Or make him PB&J