Utah Jazz jump up to grab No. 3 pick in June 23 NBA draft

Comments

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 17, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Fantastic luck. Now it's up to KOC. I would like to see the Jazz get Irving. They already have Favors, so if they got Williams, would they play two PF at once. Could one bulk up enough to play center? It's possible. If KOC can't get either one, then what? Is there a serious dropoff after the first two? Are the Jazz keeping Fes, Big Al, Milsap? How about Kirilenko? Should be fun. GO JAZZ!

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:22 p.m.

That's what I'm talking about Jazz! Sure, it's not the #1 pick, but it's nice to finally see the Jazz move up instead of down in the draft.

This (likely) means that besides Williams and Irving, the Jazz get whoever they want.

Did anyone else notice KOC trying to hold back a smile when he found out we moved up into the top three?

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Irving will be gone before the Jazz select. Derrick Williams will probably be gone, but maybe not. So, the Jazz pick at #3 will be very interesting.

My guess is that Jimmer will be available at #12 and the Jazz will snatch him up.

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:31 p.m.

Jazz will take the next best point guard available. He played for Calipari at Kentucky. Done deal.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Knowig KOC & the mindset or the franchise, they'll probably trade the #3 pick for 2nd rounders.

The #12 pick will be used on a big slow foreigner who'll never play a game for the jazz.

• J in ID Idaho Falls, ID
    May 17, 2011 7:44 p.m.

Brandon Knight is to explosive to pass up.

May 17, 2011 7:47 p.m.

SUPER, this makes the summer that much more interesting, Kanter or Knight at the 3, no Jimmer at the 12 if they go with Knight, Kanter has a ton of skill, if his knees are healthy, I'd take him and trade Big Al or Milsap, if there is any question about his knees, I'd take Knight. If they took Kanter at the 3, I'd take Jimmer at the 12. That doesn't address the need at the 3 spot but you got to take best player available.

May 17, 2011 7:49 p.m.

Wow!

3rd pick overall, that is really cool. You guys who are unsure about what the Jazz will do with this pick, check out Enes Kanter. They have already spent time evaluating him so I am sure they will take him if available. I would even dare to bet that the Jazz think he is the best player in the draft. You can find videos on YouTube about him. This kid is the real deal big man. He will give the Jazz a very legitimate back up Center and possible starter in the near future. Defense is not his strongest point but he can really score and rebound very well. He's a polished player who will be able to contribute right away.

12th Pick: I do not see Jimmer remaining on the board at the 12th pick but I might be surprised but I see his draft stock rising a bit. I would love to see the Jazz move up a couple of spots to ensure they get him. This would solve some big problems with the Jazz and make them a contender very soon. I love it, go Jazz.

• Utejazzfn3431 Draper, Utah
    May 17, 2011 7:49 p.m.

Enes Kanter was being discussed as the possible #1 pick. Cleveland will pick Irving but maybe Kanter is a possible pick at 3. You get rid of big Al move Favors to the 5 and put Enes in a the 4. IF we pick Williams were do you play him? Do you move Millsap? If you pick Knight I can see getting rid of Devis Harris at the trade deadline. Who ever we pick they will most likely have to backup someone at 1st which I do not like since it is a #3 pick they need to get out there and play. Its tough though the video of Enes Kanter in the Nike Hoops Summit last yr is amazing

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:49 p.m.

OK, Jazz, the stars have aligned for you. Now please do something with this opportunity.

• Fan WVC Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:50 p.m.

Trade the pick with Sacramento for the seventh and a second round plus Garcia for CJ.Or Washington for the sixth and a second plus Jefferson for McGee.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 17, 2011 7:59 p.m.

I just looked at all the point guards again after Irving. I agree with the previous posters...Brandon Knight should be the 2nd point guard taken. He is a fierce competitor, too, and I like that a lot. Some say he is an excellent one-on-one defender, and the Jazz need that plus his ability to score a lot. If the Jazz take him, let's hope he works hard on improving his point guard skills. He could play some shooting guard too, with Hayward sliding to SF at times.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:02 p.m.

I didn't notice Kevin O'Connor's grin. I was too busy jumping up and down!

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:05 p.m.

now that we have the 3rd pick, we don't need that 12th pick. pack it up with players and get some deals done in the summer. Williams has got to be the best fit for us, but sounds like he's going 1 or 2. Although both teams before us are in desperate need of a pg (well cleveland is in desperate need of everything). I'd have to say williams will go #1 simply because cleveland has the #1 pick and the #4. if they took williams at #1 the next 3 best picks are all point guards. so they'd run the risk of having to draft 2 point guards, i dont see them making that mistake.

so do they package the 12 pick with devin harris and try to get some traded talent?

• Riot Man Lakeland, FL
    May 17, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Williams would play at the 3. Please don't draft a PG! We have a perfectly good PG already and the league is littered with PG's. Go get yourself the 3 (Williams) or 5 (Kanter) that we don't have. We've already got Harris and can get a backup PG at 12 if we don't think we can get one on the FA market. Go get em KOC! It's time to earn that paycheck and work your magic.

May 17, 2011 8:09 p.m.

The Jazz don't need to be trading away players like Jefferson, Millsap, Harris, CJ etc.. We need to keep our core guys that we have right now and add to it.

A linup of:

C: Jefferson / Kanter / Okur
    PF: Favors / Okur / Millsap
    SF: Millsap / Kirilenko / Miles / Hayward
    SG: Hayward / Miles / Bell / Fredette
    PG: Harris / Fredette / Watson

You can see the depth. Amazing. Scoring at every position. Starting Jefferson, Favors, and Millsap gives the Jazz size and great rebounding.

I am telling you, this is a Jazz team the will likely complete for a title within 2 years. I am so excited.

• dleger Lafayette, LA
    May 17, 2011 8:15 p.m.

Would drafting two guards be too much (Brandon Knight (PG); Khawi Leonard (SG))????

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Ooo... Brandon Knight and Khaw Leonard would be an awesome draft. Yummy...

Thanks to those of you who were able to make a post without the name Jimmer. I'm sure thats a challenge for the rest.

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:30 p.m.

dleger,

Khawi Leonard is a small forward, so no problem!

• Vernal Mom Vernal, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:32 p.m.

Great news on #3!! Please, please, please, KOC.......just make a great pick! Jazz fans are waiting for something to cheer about!

• strate taukr Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:32 p.m.

Draft big....big....BIG!

• weaksauce Logan, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:36 p.m.

please, please, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!! Stay away from the turnover machine they call Jimmer! Go with Knight or Kemba, and then maybe a Lithuanian with the 12 pick.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Oh good maybe now they won't take weak euro stiffs that so many were projecting them to take.

• Markogarp Olympia, WA
    May 17, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Okay...so, what do you all think about trading our third and twelth pick to Cleveland for the #1? If that doesn't fly, my choice would be to take Knight at 3 and, if he's still available, Burks at 12 or Fredette. Either one can light it up from the outside.

May 17, 2011 8:40 p.m.

Jimmer, Jimmer, Jimmer, Jimmer, Jimmer....

Jimmer will be a very nice player in the NBA and I think he will be pretty much unstoppable. Stop downing Jimmer, Jimmer, Jimmer....

• TRUEBLUEFAN Logan, Utah
    May 17, 2011 8:40 p.m.

HAHA! I'm so HAPPY! Here is what the Jazz need to do: If Williams is still there at #3. get him! I think Williams is highly capable of playing SF. If he gets picked in the top 2 then get Kanter. Also no matter what get Jimmer at 12.

If Williams Falls to #3:

PG: Harris, Watson, Price
    SG: Hayward, Jimmer, Bell
    SF: Williams, Kirilenko
    PF: Millsap, Favors
    C: Jefferson, Fez, Okur

It would be even better if the Jazz could trade for the #4 or 6 by trading Okur, Bell, and the #12, maybe work out a deal to get a sign and trade with miles. I don't know, figure something out. Then get Kanter at #4 or Knight at #6, depending on what scenario the Jazz go with. I know it's pretty far fetched, but it would be cool if it worked out.

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    May 17, 2011 8:41 p.m.

many options open up here

Knight & Leonard / Hamilton
    Kanter & Jimmer
    or one from left field

Knight & Noegiura ( and stay in Europe for 1/2 years to develop)

Still at leasr the Jazz management have options and potential trades if it improves our team

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:42 p.m.

@ouisc:
    Why are you banging on Jimmer?

• Markogarp Olympia, WA
    May 17, 2011 8:42 p.m.

I'm also entrigued by Kanter. I would consider taking him and trading our #12 pick and Milsap for a premiere shooting guard.

• kswiss Norman, OK
    May 17, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Sweet. Michael Jordan was drafted #3 in 84.....you never know!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:47 p.m.

The package we got in return for DWill was pretty impressive as was. With this lottery change, it's now fantastic. For a guy who was planning on leaving the Jazz anyway, we got the overall number 3 player from last year, the number 3 pick for this year, another future 1st round pick, a former all-star point guard, plus $3 million cash as icing on the cake. It really makes Kevin O'Connor look like a genius... especially if he uses this latest piece of luck properly.
    This year just barely got over for the Jazz and already next year is starting to look exciting, based on all the possibilities. Can hardly wait!

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:48 p.m.

Ok Ute fan let it go start seeing Jimmer for the player he is not the one you watched destroy your utes over the last several years. Get over it and realize how good he is.

The Jazz or anyone else will regret passing him up. Mark it down!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:51 p.m.

I was really hoping we moved up into the top 2 when it was announced because I think Williams and Irving are head and shoulders above anybody else.

Maybe Kahn will do something stupid again and we can get us a new DWill. Minnesota already has a Beasley, a player a lot like Williams and I think Irving is a lock for Cleveland so maybe Williams will fall to the 3rd pick. I don't understand people who say Derrick Williams can't play the 3. He shot 56% from the college three point line and he is definitely athletic enough for the 3.

Can you imagine 6'9" Hayward at SG, Williams 6'8" at SF, with Favors and Jefferson? That would be a sweet lineup!

If Williams isn't there I think I'd rather have Knight than Kanter, but that is just me. Good luck Kevin O'Connor.

• Wahanassatta Ogden, Utah
    May 17, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Kevin O'Connor often speaks about the DNA of the Jazz and how important it is that any player worthy of wearing the Jazz uniform have, both on and off the court, a strong work ethic, moral character, self discipline, etc., etc. At the top of the list they must be a good TEAM player. The NBA has had its share of great players that decided their personal success was worth more than the teams success including Demarcus Cousins, Gilbert Arenas, DeShaun Stevenson, Nate Robinson, Allen Iverson, Antoine Walker, J.R. Smith, the list goes on. Self gratification for many becomes becomes paramount to where one bad apple has destroyed a whole franchise. With the 3rd and 12th pick who will the Jazz select? Will it be Williams, Irving, or Jimmer? Big men like Thompson, Vesely, Kanter can have an immediate positive impact. Does anyone ever wonder who comes with these NBA elite to include family members, friends and their "posse" who do not fit the DNA of the Jazz or our community? Is it also time for O'Connor to do a little house cleaning of the current roster? Just saying.

and self gratification

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:55 p.m.

Feel the excitement! A great opportunity to really make a difference for next couple of years or so. Can't wait to see this unfold.

• MathesonKwik bonneville, California
    May 17, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Yeah! Yeah! Now it's time to work that 05' magic, package up a couple players with those 2 picks & move up to number 1.

Even the worst case scenario right now looks pretty good. Take Kanter at number 3 dump some salary baggage in the off-season. I mean clean house. Bye bye Memo, bye bye Raja, Bye Bye AK, Bye bye Francisco Elson, get rid of Fesenko. All these guys are expendable at this point.

Big Al, Favors & Milsap even with Fes coming off the bench, gives us a solid front court. Adding Kanter isn't essential. KOC can get pretty creative & he hasn't disappointed me yet. I wouldn't be suprised if we did take 2 guards.

• jdaliix Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:00 p.m.

I'm kinda stunned by anybody saying trade big Al. Dude was the third leading scorer in the league after the Allstar break. He's a CRITICAL component to this team. Just plain dumb to think otherwise. But I can certainly see taking the very best prospect available to them even if they don't need to fill the position, and then use that player for leverage along with CJ. I could see Kemba Walker, CJ and the 12th pick being packaged for someone pretty major, say, Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol, or even Nene. Not entirely sure about Kanter...a 6'10" center? Al's that height, and is a proven scorer and rebounder.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 17, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Please, no Kanter! No Leonard!

If Derrick Williams is avaliable at the 3 spot, there is no way the Jazz can pass him up.

That would allow the Jazz to draft a shooter/PG at 12. Jimmer, if still available would be a nice pick at this spot.

Again. Please no Kanter!

• mornixuur Layton, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Jimmer was a great college player, but a shoot-first guard with a streaky shot isnt really what the Jazz need. He'd put butts in seats, though.. at least til we hit last place.

Please, KOC. You're not that desperate, are you?

• bluedevil Greensboro, NC
    May 17, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Well, I'm extremely biased as you can see from my login handle.

Given that, my dream scenario for the Jazz would be to trade big Al and Millsap, and maybe even Harris and maybe even next year's 1st pick for Cleveland's 1st pick (aka Kyrie) and B.Davis(expiring contract).

Kyrie is the real deal. Watched him up close for 3 months, 14 or so games (including the exhibitions) and he is a player you can build your team around. Makes everyone around him better and he can score inside and out. Given that we have Favours and get Kanter with our 3rd pick, we will be serious contenders in 2 years time

But, even Cleveland can't be stupid enough to make that trade, I'm afraid ...

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    May 17, 2011 9:17 p.m.

Jazz should stay away from Kanter. He is way overrated, not athletic, has bad knees and was dominating his age competition just because he was bigger and heavier then other kids, put him with men and he will have his shot swatted every other time. Same like Kosta Koufos and Kosta was better shot blocker and more athletic. No no no to Kanter!!! If they go big they should get Valanciunas, he won't help right away but in couple years he might be Camby type player anchoring paint.
    And please no Kemba... I would be ok with Knight, Vesely or Leonard if they do not want Center.

May 17, 2011 9:23 p.m.

@Kyle loves BYU/Jazz: You might be rightThe T-Wolves just might take Kanter since they already have Beasly. That pick actually makes sense and that would allow Derrick Williams to fall to the Jazz. I would love that pick. Wow, that gets me even more excited about this pick. I will be happy with Kanter or Williams but I do think Williams fits our needs better. That would be amazing. Go Jazz.

May 17, 2011 9:32 p.m.

@Calgary: Have you even watched Kanter videos? He has a diverse offensive game which Kosta never had. The comparison isn't even close. The bad knees is a legitimate concern but I am not to worried about his athleticism at all. This kid has a polished offensive game and will be a very nice scorer in the NBA. He uses his strength and body very well, has an awsome drop step, has a nice mid range jump shot and can put the ball on the floor. He also runs the break quite well, shoots free throws and rebounds well. The only thing he does not do well is block shots. Kanter dominated Sullinger from Ohio State in the World against USA best high school game. Sullinger is not a small guy just in case you have not seen him. Sullinger is projected a high lottery pick next year and Kanter dominated him.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Great news!

I am very excited to be a Jazz fan and not one of those other "Lotto" teams.

The Jazz are going to get some game changers with this years draft picks and have a chance to elevate this team for years to come.

Talk about moving forward!! Way to go KOC! It seems so recent that the Jazz starting line up had D-Will-PG, Wes Mathews-SG, AK-SF, Boozer-PF, Memo-C and lets not forget our Hall of Fame Coach Sloan have all been replaced.

I can only be hopeful for a huge Jazz turn around and it starts by fixing the back court, perimeter play is awful, Bell has lost a step and who knows what AK will do, so I can only hope that the Jazz can replace both players with this draft. If the Jazz don't think that Harris can run the team, maybe we draft PG? Maybe a big trade? If we use the 3rd pick on a big man, I think we would be wasting our pick unless it is used for a trade of some kind.

Looking forward to seeing new players light a fire! Go Jazz!

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Let's not get too excited about moving up to #3, after Williams and Irving who are the cream of the crop the next 5 or 6 you could pick out of a hat. For those of you that are so high on Kanter, he is very likely to take a place on the injured list right beside Ocur, then your left with Jefferson and Kfez just like this year. We need to move up at least 1 spot if we want someone that can help right away.

@ouisc & DLedger, I don't see how those 2 would make us any better, Knight to sit behind Harris and Leonard a small forward that can't shoot.

Lets all tune in to the Combine Thursday morning at 8:00 on espnu a see what shapes up.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:37 p.m.

The Bull from Istanbul is a no-brainer if Williams is gone. Enes Kanter broke Dirk Nowitski's scoring record at the Nike Hoop Summit in 2010. He dropped 34 points on Team USA. The kid is a beast down low. He works hard, has nice moves, and plays smart.

#12? The Jazz desperately need a three-point threat. Either package the pick or take The Jimmer.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    May 17, 2011 9:41 p.m.

What a "sweet" night. Everyone has their choices now and will have more in the coming weeks before the actual draft takes place. Workouts, medicals, and personal interviews will play big in the decision making I'm sure. My personal choice would be at this time(and that can change) would be to pick at #3 whoever Sacramento wants in a trade scenario, with them picking at #7 who we want and that would be Bismack Biyombo @6'9" & 240lbs with a 7'7" wingspan, that scenario would also include one of their roster payers at a position need we covet to make up for giving them our #3 pick. Then with the 12th pick I would take Alec Burks from Colorado or once again trade that to another team with another veteran we covet along with a couple of our expendable players now on our roster for their or that player. Really not as complicated as it sounds, it's just wheeling and dealing big time. Good luck whatever Jazz.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 17, 2011 9:44 p.m.

Jefferson is not the answer at center. He is not big enough, nor does he stay between the offensive player and the basket often enough. He has said he prefers power forward, and I think he will be an excellent power forward in the NBA for years to come. Unfortunately for him, with the addition of Favors, I think Al is now the second best PF on the Jazz. You guys that want to see Fes go, I say give him one more year. Just one. He is needed just for depth next year. If Corbin gives him major minutes and he doesn't improve, then I see the Jazz definitely going for a center next year if they don't go for Kanter this year. And Kanter is not going to start right out better than Fes anyway.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:45 p.m.

They have to figure a way to get Williams. He was a 4 in college but he will be a great defensive 3 in the NBA. I love AK, but Williams might give us a tough minded version of what AK once was (and maybe stay healthy too). Just look at the 3's in our division: Durant, Gay, Beasley, Chandler/Gallinari & Wallace. We certainly need an upgrade.

No need to trade Millsap either. Convince him his role needs to be as our 6th man, backing up the 3 and 4. Pick up a scorer at the 12 spot and you could have a great bench with Millsap, CJ, and Burks/Jimmer? I just don't see the need to trade a bunch of players (unless we can dump Memo), we can start winning now.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Kanter, Valanciunas, Vesely, Motiejunas?? Why do these mock drafts keep sticking us with these soft eruo stiffs? Name one Euro not named Nowitzki that has been a star in this league. They're not, they never pan out. Get someone that can be a star. Kentuckys Brandon Knight is so young but I think he might develop into something in time.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:55 p.m.

@jdaliix, Big Al is the worst defender at the #4 in the NBA and brings your offense to a stand still when he has the ball, he is not above being tradeable.

@markogarp, I don't know where you got your info on Burks but the book on him is he can't shoot from outside. Also we also have the guy that is going to be a premier shooting guard in Hayward.

@jazzman, you mean the eurostiffs like Ginobili, Nowitzki and others?

@mornixuur, Streaky? Your Ute colors are showing through.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 10:01 p.m.

Lets hope that Minnesota does something crazy and we end up with DWill :)

Wouldn't that be a great ending to the DWill trade?

Oh wait! That wouldn't be the ending, we'll be in the lotto again next year :) O'Connor is a genius!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 17, 2011 10:02 p.m.

C'mon guys! Who's the next superstar in the draft? (I won't mention names--you know who I like.)

If the Jazz pick anyone that's a project, has bad knees, can't play defense, etc., (any one of those types of things), with their #3 pick, they're dumb.

I doubt that the Jazz brass are dumb. They'll get someone who can help very soon at #3 then use #12 for the "project."

If the Jazz believe that there's a future superstar in the draft that doesn't go in the first two picks, they'll take that player.

If they don't pick Jimmer first, I doubt he'll be available by the 12th pick.

Or, maybe they can trade up their #12 to get a better shot at two good players who'll stick with the team (a future all-star caliber SF and The Jimmer).

Good luck seems to be following the Jazz lately. Hope it continues.

May 17, 2011 10:02 p.m.

@weaksauce(fitting)-are you insane? Did you watch any NCAA hoops over the year? Jimmer hater? TO machine huh? I can't believe I'm even commenting on such ignorant remarks. Kemba Walker huh? You think he is the answer? Maybe Knight but NOT Kemba or another Euro. If Jimmer is available get him at #12. I like Burks as well. Can't go wrong with either. Enough bashing of JF.....get's real old and shows your lack of bball knowledge, seriously.

I like Williams at #3 but if we could somehow pull off some magic and get Irving I would be elated...real deal. I agree w/ many that after the first two a crap shoot. You never know as I have always been high on Irving...amazing.

Look at #1 Irving, 2. Williams, 3. Knight (don't like Kanter as I worry about his knees; has game but a huge risk). #12 get Jimmer or Burks. I am biased and would go with Jimmer...he can shoot lights out and has a high BBall IQ/HEART-no one can argue that. Let's get it done Jazz brass.

May 17, 2011 10:09 p.m.

@JazzMan--amen man. I am sick and tired of all the naysayers wanting another Euro that is too weak or will stay in Euro for another two years to develop (aka Tomic).....I want to win soon and not wait on someone to develop overseas...not working out in the long run. As you said Nowitzki is the exception....what a stud. Gasol brothers as well. I just don't want Kanter as I'm worried about his knees and getting hurt; could care less about his talent/skills--can't use them without good health/knees.

Scaleman--I agree in that AJ is not a TRUE Center; is in not only small but he doesn't bang an gets eaten alive....it amazing more people don't see this. The elite teams that are big destroy him underneath.... not quantum physics.

May 17, 2011 10:14 p.m.

This is a great situation for the Jazz. Here are some thoughts.

Do not try to move up for Irving. He has only played 11 games in college. He has a lot more risk than most admit. He will be good. Will he be great?

William would make a great SF. The Jazz DO NOT need an undersized PF Period.

Kantor? Maybe, it depends on his knees. Valanciunas might be an alternative to Kantor. Big V is 7 foot in shoes with a self reported 7' 6" wing span.

Going K or V means Millsap or AJ are moving in the next 2 years. The Jazz would be very big and good inside with Favors, AJ, K or V and Millsap.

Maybe trade the 3rd pick for a proven SF/SG with a decent salary?

Walker and Knight are the highest ranked PGs. Walker is a Jr. His outside shooting may improve. He looks like a clone of Harris to me. I am waiting to see if Harris can actually run the flex? Knight is a Fr. He should develop into a very good traditional PG. I think he has more upside than Walker.

May 17, 2011 10:16 p.m.

If Kanter's knees prove healthy, he's the pick, he's 6'11, long, good rebounder (which we need) and he has a great offensive game. We need a center and Kanter, Favors or Big Al can all play the 5, plus all 3 of them can play the 4, Kanter has the best offensive game of the bunch. The more I think about it the more I like Kanter. If they took Kanter then Big Al or Milsap could be used to find a athletic 3, that can shoot.
    At 12 I think Jimmer would be a good pick, he gives us great outside shooting and he'll develop as a point guard, he can back up Harris for a yr or 2, like Stockton did with Ricky Green.
    I do like Fords pick for us at 12 though, Singleton, 6'9 3man very athletic, and a great defender.

• wrestling Provo, UT
    May 17, 2011 10:17 p.m.

@ shaybo - last time I checked Ginobili was from Argentina....definitely not European.

May 17, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Kanter's the man, I don't think you pass him up unless his knees don't prove healthy.
    I like Jimmer at 12, but I also like Singleton at 12, he's long, athletic, and a great defender.
    We would need to look to trade Big Al or Milsap if we take Kanter, but that could be a big plus, KOC could try to get a player he already knows is the kind of player we need.

May 17, 2011 10:27 p.m.

@Shaybo--JazzMan was just making a point and it's dang hard to refute it. Again, it was purely generalized and I think most got that. He commented on Dirk (you must have missed that) and I added the Gasol brothers. Sure, we can break this down and waste a lot of time but there are more stiffs than greats....can't argue that. There are other good Euro's in the league(not great) but good....no doubt. Take his comment for what's it's worth as I did....jazzman was correct.

Oh, Shaybo, last time I checked Ginobili was from Argentina my friend. Not a Euro and I don't think he considers himself one:-)

• Daveman Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 17, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Hey, do not forget about Tomic lurking in Europe (the next Pau Gasol according to some and the FIBA Europe MVP last year). He makes Kanter irrelelvant. The Jazz have rights to him starting next season, but will not exercise them if the lockout goes too long. Read up on Jan Vesely, a 6'11" SF who is a logical pick at 3. He is an AK that is even longer and taller than AK (AK will cost too much and I give him less than 20% chance of returning). Take the 6'6" PG/SG Burks from Colorado at 12 (said to be the best outside shooter in the draft)and how does this lineup look for versaitlity:

C: AJ/Tomic/Memo
    PF: AJ/Favors/ Millsap/Memo/Evans
    SF: Vesely/CJ/Evans/Millsap/Hayward
    SG: Hayward/CJ/Bell/Burks
    PG: Harris/Watson/Burks

Championship caliber, who knows? But definitley a young and very versatile lineup that could give fits with tough-to-defend lineups against almost any opponent.

May 17, 2011 10:32 p.m.

Kanter has Knee problems? I cant find anything that states he has knee problems that are of any long term concern. All I could find is that he had a knee surgery a couple years ago that put him out for about 6 months and has also hadh some tendonitis in the past. Tendonitis usually goes away with rest and does not seeem to be an ongoing problem from what I can tell. This does not seem like a big problem to me. Jefferson had a major knee injury a couple years back and looks great. Millsap was dealing with tendonitis as well. I just don't see this as a big deal. If anyone can show me where this reliable source talking about specifics on Kanter having bad knees, please post it cause I cant seem to find it.

May 17, 2011 10:34 p.m.

@Captain L--totally disagree with you brother. So we need another small Center in Kanter? What is he 6'10? You think he can bang with the best in the NBA with his 80 y/o knees? Doubt it. He has talent but so did Memo and AK--not good enough anymore. We are stacked with undersized big men that can't truly play the Center position--don't need another in Kanter. We have AJ, Favors, Sap and Fes right now. Bottom line is Kanter is a HUGE risk. We need a TRUE center and outside shooting....just don't like Kanter.. Oh, we will eventually need a PG as it start's there anyway. Most don't think Harris is the future and I agree. Short-term, yes but not long-term. Get Williams or Knight at #3 and even better work some magic and get Irving--oh ya:-). I agree with you on getting JF at #12...if gone, get Burks.....has upside and I like better than Singleton.

Captain L, months ago you were huge on Vesely and others....changed it up?

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    May 17, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Wow, poor Jazz, they finally get some luck, yet most analyst state that this is the worst draft class in over a decade, not one sure star in this draft. They finally get a high pick and this class is lacking huge talent. I hope they find a diamond in the rough from Europe, and please, don't pick provo players. Remember the last time the Jazz had a provo player on their roster, yea, Arajuo was super! Don't make that mistake.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 10:37 p.m.

@JazzFanMontana, look harder. Its all over the place. Also, he's 18 years old and already had knee surgery? That should be a red flag.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 17, 2011 10:39 p.m.

First off, the Jazz biggest need is clearly the shooting guard. Raja is too old, CJ is too inconsistent and Hayward is best at small forward, too big and not athletic enough to guard most 2-guards like Kobe/Wade. The front line is pretty stacked with Big Al, Millsap and Favors. I'd go with Brandon Knight at #3 who could be PG or a decent shooting guard who can handle the ball. Then, if he is still there, I'd take Alec Burks at 12, a legit 2-guard with great athleticism that the Jazz desperately need. Obviously, if Kyrie Irving or Derrick Williams slip past the top two, you gotta take one of them.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 17, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Kanter's a real risk at number 3. Bad knees are usually what ends NBA careers. It's not a good sign when the guy you're looking at already has bad knees.

My bet is that the Jazz will not pick Enes Kanter at 3.

May 17, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Vesely is a weak defender especially out on a wing and gets attacked by most coaches in Europe.

Biyombo can't shoot, fouls a lot and is another undersized PF. He will have to back off his aggressive play to stay on the floor in the NBA. Millsap is a much better shooter with range.

Burks is Ronnie Brewer with worse defense than Jimmer. He is a penetrator but he can't shoot and his defense is in the bottom 1/4.

Leonard may be okay IF he can develop his shooting. He is not a great outside shooter.

Thompson can not stay in front of his man.

The Jazz need SF/SGs who can shoot and defend and that DOES NOT EXIST in this draft.

Jimmer can shoot. He is not a particularly good defender and I do not see him as a wing. He is a PG. Does he fit the Jazz?

Go big or go Knight/Walker with the 3. Go Jimmer/Leonard with the 12?

OR trade one or both picks for developing players/Vets who can shoot and defend.

May 17, 2011 10:45 p.m.

@JazzMan and Amgolfer: The biggest problem most Euro players have is toughness. They generally shoot the ball pretty well facing up but often don't play defense have a post game or rebound well. Kanter is different. He's tough, physical and he rebounds well, has a great post game etc.. he really does play much more like an American than a euro player. Kanter is simply different than most euro players. I will be really happy with Williams or Kanter. If we take Williams, we may need to let Kirilenko go. If we get Kanter, we should try and keep Kirilenko and shift Millsap and Kirilenko in at the SF position.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    May 17, 2011 10:47 p.m.

Package pick 12 and something else for Irving!

May 17, 2011 10:52 p.m.

@JazzfanMontana--no doubt Kanter is polished for being only 18 y/o. Please look harder as you will find his medical hx regarding his knees. I believe he had his first issues at the age of 16 (surgery?? I have heard) This is not good. He hasn't played hardly any organized bball and the NBA is a different breed. He is NOT a Center and NO taller than 6'10; we have enough at that size, period. No doubt he will be good IF healthly....key word is IF and that's a huge risk for anyone. I don't like that risk at 18....no way. If he can stay healthy and a team can be very very patient he could be very good indeed.....possibly an All-Star one day; but this is not the issue at hand...no one doubts his ability and talent for such a young age...

Get Irving or Williams if you can; everything below them is a crap shoot anyway. Weak draft altogether as many have said already.... #12 JF or work a great trade and get a proven #5 Center or #2 shooting guard.

May 17, 2011 11:00 p.m.

@JFFR: I have looked around but I have yet to find a credible source that is specific about the knee problems for Kanter. Most of the stuff I found is on blogs similar to this one. How bout we let the doctors test him at the combine and see how he looks then rather than spreading potentially false rumors or lies.

Also, Knee injuries happen at any age. You show me a credible source with details about his knee problems, how the injury happened and that they are potentially chronic, post the URL hear so we can all become a little more educated. I just can't find it. So if it's that hard to find, it may be more of a rumor than real.

May 17, 2011 11:02 p.m.

@MontanaJazzman....Kanter over Williams?????? Are you mad? With all due respect and it's intuitively obvious to me that that you don't really know the the whole Enes Kanter story. Please research him and do a little homework before posting on him??? When have you seen him play, lately? He is a dang good baller at 18 but that's just not good enough in my book; what else is on his resume? Nothing.... He is 18 and has a serious medical hx regarding his knees. It's a huge risk and why would we want another 6'10 big guy? We have 3 already....too much of a long jam. Get a TRUE big man through trade or whatever...Enes is not the answer.....Don't get me wrong as he could be great one day....if a team is very patient. He must prove he can bang and have his already troublesome 18 y/o knees hold up against the best...it's a very huge risk...you want to take that on? Scary partner.....18????

May 17, 2011 11:04 p.m.

If you look at Millsaps numbers at SF they are bad (see 82 games). He is not an SF. He can play limited minutes of SF in certain match ups. Millsap's worth is going to be in his outside shooting. He will extend his range. He can also play inside. He is better as a 6th man.

There is no C of the future in this draft. The Jazz are stuck with AJ. He has to improve his shooting efficiency, rebounding, passing and defense. He is a little below average as a C but he is better at C than at SF.

I would take a very hard look at Valanciunas with the 3 pick. He is a rival of Kantor without the knee problems. He is only 19 and will fill out and gain weight over the next few years. He is good on cuts and pick and roll. He is the anti thesis of AJ. His low post game is weak. He is an 83% FT shooter. He is a decent defender but needs more weight with back to the basket types (not that many left in the NBA).

He could be another Gasol.

May 17, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Listen, if we can't pull of some serious magic and get either Irving or Williams in this draft then let's try and make a trade w/in the league and bring over something nice; a polished, proven player who can feel a huge void at either C or SG......

At #12 get JF if available. He is a lot better shooter than Burks....

@Bugoff--I rather stick with Harris and take my chances on him then draft Kemba. Let someone else take this very undersized PG....

• josemb navotas, philippines
    May 17, 2011 11:09 p.m.

first time i get to watch the lottery proceedings live on tv and it was exciting. especially when it was announced that another team will pick at supposed-to-be utah's picking number. and yeah, i was soooo hoping we get the #1 pick. i was a bit disappointed we didn't get the #1 pick but it's great we moved up to 3...

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 17, 2011 11:12 p.m.

Does anyone on here really think the #3 pick is any better than the #6 pick? After Irving and Williams this draft is horrible. With this draft, taking Jimmer at the #3 isn't much of a risk. At least he can score. Flip a coin, choose someone and hope it works out.

I wouldn't waste the pick on a Euro. Take the best point guard available. Then take the best player available at the 12th spot. If it's Jimmer, then take him.

It's normal for a team to draft the best player available and then make some trades to fill in the holes. Please stay away from the Euros in the draft. They are too soft. AK fine example. Memo fine example.

Are there any shooting guards worth taking in this draft?

May 17, 2011 11:13 p.m.

@Amgolfer: Again, show me the URL. I cant find it. Plus surgury over 2 years ago? How is that different from Jefferson? An injury is an injury. It happens. I can't find anything talking about knee problems recently anywhere so how is it a problem?

2nd: This kid can help a pro team right now. Look at the scouting reports and watch his videos on YouTube. He has superior post moves and will not have to sit long before being able to help a pro team. I just don't see how you can pass this kid up if he is available at the 3rd pick. Many are making the argument that he would be the unanimous top pick had he played this year at Kentucky. Also, he was able to practice on a daily basis at Kentucky and reports state he was dominant in practice against other Kentucky bigs.

Even if he ends up playing PF, quality bigs are hard to find and if you can have a talented big coming off the bench like him, you have a really good chance of competing for a title.

May 17, 2011 11:18 p.m.

As I posted the Position Adjusted Win Scores for American college players earlier

Walker 13.97
    Leonard 12.90
    Jordan Hamilton 12.52
    Jimmer 12.37
    Klay Thompson 12.19
    Travis Leslie 11.60
    Nolan Smith 12.37
    Singleton 11.12
    Holiday 14.09 A sleeper and probably late in the 1st round.

They are all PGs or SG/SFs.

I would scratch Thompson for defensive reasons. Singleton is a project making slow progress on shooting. 49% FT shooter. He is not a slasher.

Jimmer is a much better shooter.

Hamilton would be ideal for the flex but he has a me first attitude and is not a particularly good defender. Hamilton is a mixed bag as a slasher. His first step is not great. he can hit 3s.

The Jazz may want to trade down. Does anyone have a couple of late 1st round picks?

May 17, 2011 11:24 p.m.

@Amgolfer: I never said I would take Kanter over Williams. I simply said Kanter would be a great pick at number 3. However, if Williams is magically available when we pick at number 3, I would be ecstatic and I feel the pick would be slightly better for the Jazz.

Looking at the situation, it could happen cause the T-Wolves really wanted Irving and already have a SF in Beasley. That could mean they take a chance on Kanter and the Jazz end up with Williams. That would be awesome. I hope that happens, however, I think Kanter would be a great pick as long as we can pick up Jimmer at the 12th pick or possibly trade up to 9th, 10th or 11th to ensure they get him makes sense to me also.

I honestly think Jimmer is one of the only for sure things in this draft. Many will think I'm crazy but honestly, I think Jimmer will be a better player than Irving.

May 17, 2011 11:31 p.m.

Mr. Montana.....listen do your own research and homework on this--as we all have. I hardly doubt many many scouts, NBA teams are lying about this very issue. AJ is 7 years older than Kanter and is proven NBA worthy. It's a moot point my friend. I don't think your understanding my posts as I have never stated I think he is a shabby type player. I have always given Kanter mad props regarding his very polished skills at 18. The point is he's a very big RISK and I don't think we should gamble on him. Hence, who goes then? AJ, Favors or Sap? We don't need a fourth PF option my friend. Think about the "whole" picture before jumping on the Kanter bandwagon.

@CJ Miles--I hope you read my post prior to your comment.... as I pretty much duplicated it... It's a crap shoot after #1 or 2 which only involves Irving and Williams. I agree with NO more Euro's....had it with that. I do like JF at #12. If we simply can't get Irving or Williams look for a great trade. Peace.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Reggie Jackson is your late first round pick bugoff.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:35 p.m.

Everyone says there is a big drop off after 2, but I'm not so sure. I think there will be at least one more player who will move up and contend for the #1 overall. Kanter, Knight, and Leonard all have huge upside and one of could impress enough in workouts to get inside the top 2.

Also, if the cavs go with Williams, will Minnesota really draft another point guard?

I don't know who the Jazz will pick, but I it will be the best player available regardless of need, and that is exactly what they should do.

May 17, 2011 11:40 p.m.

MontanaJazzMan--I agree w/ you about Fredette; I am biased but he will be good. He spreads the offense and is a serious 24/7 threat from downtown. I has heart and is a very very intelligent bball player. We would be lucky to get him. Great pickup at #12. I think he may be gone as I know other teams will be looking seriously at him....I hope he lands in Utah...eventually, all the naysayers will be eating their words that bashed him.

If we can't get Irving or Williams then I say we trade our #3 and put together a package and get a proven C or SG.....I am will to take a risk on Kanter and I don't see us landing him.

I see Cavs getting Irving for sure and T-Wolves getting Williams. T-Wolves would be idiots to pass on Williams...don't see it even with Beasely. These two guys are the cream of the crop in this year's draft and everything below them is a crap shoot as I have stated many times. This truly is a very weak draft and I hope you can see it.

May 17, 2011 11:43 p.m.

Bugoff, throw out the numbers. I will be livid if we draft Walker....Would you really want him??? Put the numbers aside and answer from your own heart/mind.

May 17, 2011 11:44 p.m.

The Wizards have the 6th and 18th pick. The Jazz might be able to trade the 3rd pick for both of those. I am not say they should. I am only suggesting it as an option.

Some combo of Williams, Kantor, Valanciunas, Knight will be available at 3. The Jazz will probably take one of them.

Draft Express has the Jazz taking Knight and MN taking Williams. They still have the Jazz taking Burks at 12 but I absolutely see not reason for the Jazz to take a SG who can't shoot nor defend. They are not that dumb.

DE has Kantor going 8th to DET and Valanciunas 4th to CLE.

Lets see some work outs before we get excited. I want to see Jimmer's combine stats and see how well he can defend when it counts.

I might warm up to Walker or Leonard if they can improve their shooting.

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    May 17, 2011 11:59 p.m.

I'm not sure a scoring center is what we need. We've had that for several years in Okur and Jefferson. I don't see how Kanter would change that. Williams would be amazing if he can play the 3. Jefferson, Okur, Favors, Milsap, with Williams at the 3 would be a force to be reckoned with. However I don't see Irving or Williams dropping to 3. We will probably be stuck choosing between Knight or Kanter.

Everyone at #12 is going to be a gamble at that point. Truth is that nobody knows whether Fredette will be a star or a bust. Someone will have to take a chance on him. However, if the gamble pays off with Fredette, it will pay off big time. I don't see any other players at 12 having as much NBA potential as Jimmer. He is worth the gamble.

Side note: If the Jazz draft Jimmer and Kanter it would be funny to watch both of them together. The two look almost exactly alike. Jimmer would be like Kanter's mini-me.

May 17, 2011 11:59 p.m.

@CocoNutzz that is very astute. Jackson is likely to be a very good PG. The Jazz could trade down and get him.

@Amgolfer. I just do not like Kemba. He is undersized and his game is mostly slashing to the rim and then dishing to his bigs. I am a firm believer that the Jazz HAVE to have outside shooting at the SF, SG and PG in order to contend. That is why I am not high on Harris. His style does not fit the Jazz. He can't open up the inside like DWill could.

To me this whole draft including Irving and Williams is risky. Irving has almost no game record. Williams is a tweener. How will he perform in the NBA against bigger faster players.

The key is to get players who fit your system and existing players. Sloan was good at that but over emphasized intangibles at the expense of talent. I am not sure KOC is all that good at drafting/trading for players who fit the Jazz system.

Look at AJ and Harris. Neither one of them fit the Jazz. Corbin might be able to adapt the system to them?

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    May 18, 2011 12:00 a.m.

Big Deal, there are no studs in this years draft. The top 13 players could be drafted in any order with most being underclassmen or lesser known European kids. O'Conner just has further to fall by botching the #3 pick. I'll bet anyone that the Jazz second pick of the 1st round will be around longer than the top pick. To the dreamers out there just look at the history of the Jazz and their 1st round picks, only a few are still on the team an NBA low. If you take out Gordo the guy will the Cross Country runners body, you have just AK who is the NBA's most overpaid player, max play for 10 points a game, playing half a season at a time.To the fellow who claims KOC is the top GM in the league, ever hear of some Ainge guy in Boston or the Mitch dude in LA, or the Riley guy in Miami?

May 18, 2011 12:07 a.m.

@amgolfer: I have researched and looked and nothing is being said from credible sources that say his knees are likely going to be a problem. Again, no one has come to the table with a credible source. Personally, I was not a huge fan of Kanter until I sat down and started looking at him more seriously.

I have been watching videos and learning all I can about him. I agree with some others on here that many of the picks are a crap shoot. Almost every prospect has multiple negatives. Many lack shooting ability, most of the euros cant defend or rebound and lack toughness (except Kanter). Others are extremely raw and need lots of work offensively etc...

Kanter simply seems to have one of the most polished games in the draft which in my opinion makes him less risky. Honestly, even Irving and Williams have question marks. Williams does not have a high motor and seems to lack the quickness needed for the SF position in the NBA and too small for the PF position.

Maybe its you that should do your research....

May 18, 2011 12:13 a.m.

@Dustin: I think you pretty much nailed it. I would love Williams also and if he's available, you take him 3rd.

Remember, the T-Wolves are horrible at drafting so don't be surprised to see them pass on Williams allowing him to fall to the Jazz at 3. Lady luck has been on our side so far, lets hope it continues.

May 18, 2011 12:16 a.m.

Korver could not defend. However, he could shoot. He alone opened up the inside and made the flex work.

There are no proven shooters in this draft except Jimmer. The Jazz should take him because he can shoot. The Jazz have to open up the inside and Harris can't do it. CJ is erratic and Hayward has yet to prove himself.

Besides you want the PG, SG and SF to be able to shoot. Spacing is crucial. That has KILLED the Jazz. Get the spacing right and Then AJ can work inside. Millsap's game improves. Favors sky rockets. If the Jazz have Kantor or Valaniunas they develop faster.

Jimmer will eventually develop as a PG. After watching Kidd play tonight Jimmer should be at least as good at PG as an old Kidd. He can't be much worse.

• tomo keystone heights, fl.
    May 18, 2011 12:38 a.m.

Perhaps the jazz could flip flop picks with the cavs (3 & 4) and somehow get semi erdan out of the deal as well. I don't think you lose too much & you would gain at minimum a decent backup big man 7' who could very well be a starter..

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    May 18, 2011 12:40 a.m.

I'd love to get Kanter and The Jimmer!!

May 18, 2011 1:06 a.m.

Actually Walker slashed inside, shot a poor percentage and relied on his bigs to go get the rebound and reset for him. I remember the tournament game where he shot poorly and he did dish to his bigs but mostly he is a slashing volume shooter.

Inefficiency is Kryptonite for the Jazz. Harris and AJ are not efficient. AJ improved after Sloan and DWill left. Harris may improve next year but I will be surprised.

HoopsWorld has the Jazz taking Kanter and Valaniunas 3rd and 12th. I could see one but not both. Kanter could be a better version of AJ? Valaniunas is probably a safe solid pick based on his play in Europe.

It may pay to trade the Wizards the 3rd for the 6th and 18th picks IF the new CBA has a hard cap. Draft picks will be a premium under a hard cap as they represent cheap talent.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    May 18, 2011 1:29 a.m.

Jazz can't even decide on their color let alone what they need. Get rid of the dead wood - Okur , K47 and free up a huge amount of money to go get a good low post person. Clean and simple. That's why the Aggies never get anywhere in the tournaments. No big men that can walk and talk at the same time. There's got to be an offensive line man that can match up with big babby for heavens sake.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:00 a.m.

Kanter averaged nearly 17 boards per game in Europe. That's in addition to his 18 points per game average. I know the competition is weaker. I totally get that. Still, the number of rebounds this guy collects from the center position cannot be ignored. There's a reason Calipari and Kentucky twice appealed the NCAA's decision to not allow Kanter to play last year. Kentucky wanted this kid badly.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:18 a.m.

Sleeper pick at #12 if Jimmer is gone?

Duke's Nolan Smith. I think he'll be a terrific point guard off the bench in the NBA. He was fanastic at Duke while Irving was out. I think he more than proved he can run the point. He's a superb shooter and can get to the rack anytime he wants. He's a decent passer. I look at Smith as Ronnie Price under control and for lesser money.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    May 18, 2011 5:10 a.m.

I think everyone is overlooking Valucianias at this point. You need to see that Favors is definitely worth building around, he has a midrange shot, i saw him do everything at one time or another, you want to see him develop that offensive part of his game it is raw but he is a unique talent at pwfoward.
    Valucianisa i heard compared to Camby, in my opinion, this is a better type of player to put around Favors, Hayward, and Evans; someone who will be a defensive captain for this team, I don't see him as Marc Gasol, though.
    At the 12, i hate to say it, but the Jimmer seems like he could help the team, there are other guards like Burcs too.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 18, 2011 6:32 a.m.

a lot of speculation...a lot of who to draft...i would want us to trade harris....if we do draft Knight....if we drafted Kanter...would that mean Millsap would be the 3 full time or will he be traded for a legit shooting SF?...are we going to trade up?...or trade down?...or trade for next year?...who are we going to sign as free agents would depend on who we will get...and the deals that are coming...KOC said he would listen to offers...but im really excited for the Team...we might get Williams...for all we know...if we get Kanter...something's gonna give...between the three current low post players we have...and the looks of things it would be between Al Jefferson and Millsap...hope we get either Kanter or Williams at the 3...and Jimmer at the 12...im hoping and praying that it would happen

• J in ID Idaho Falls, ID
    May 18, 2011 6:48 a.m.

I don't know why, but Kanter makes me think of Sam Bowie. It just feels like if the Jazz draft him they will someday regret passing on some other player.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 6:51 a.m.

@JazzMontana

Try David Alridge. He works for a pretty credible company. Read the article about available centers.

He has the Jazz going for Jonas Valanciunas.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Kevin O'Conner is a genius. He looked really good when he made the D-Will trade but this is fantastic for the Jazz. I think Favors and Harris for D-Will was really good whether Dwill re-signed or not. Now we have a chance at another 3 pick. I wish I knew how good Harris could really be in the Jazz system. I am thinking the Jazz will draft a point guard with the 3 since there are no great centers and we have Jefferson, Millsap and Favors at power forward already.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    May 18, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Commentors please think about our roster today! I don't think Memo is tradeable until he proves(next season) he is healthy. If he is healthy he is worth the salary being paid because you guys seem to forget how many games he won for us with his shooting and he was getting better at driving and interior defense. So he's a keeper, and so is Fess(1 more yr), now we have Tomic, what do all of you think we are going to do there? Let him sit forever overseas? There are also free agents out there with size like Chris Wilcox and Jonas Jerebko both 6'10" that are gutty fierce players. Also Marcus Thornton(6'4")& Al Thornton(6'7"), Shannon Brown a real shooter, and slasher available for not too much salary and they are proven wings. So I believe the Jazz have some "very" big options to consider and hope they get it right. I prefer exp & some youth but not just youth.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 18, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Don't forget about Tomic who is coming in. You build around Favors. You get Kanter and try to get Knight by packaging a trade with next year's lottery pick. You dump the "dead wood" such as Miles, Price, Kirilenko, and a few others. You use Jefferson and Harris as trade bait. You clone Milsap's "heart" and you task Okur as a mentor to Kanter.

May 18, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Both CLE and MN are open to trading picks.

CLE needs to use it's James exemption of 14.5 mill. They can package that with the 4 pick to get a good established Vet who can contribute now. They are taking Irving with number 1. They do need a C and could keep the 4 for that but who would that get?

MN does not need Williams. Nor do they want another PG until they know if Rubio is coming over. They need a C. They can drop down a spot and still draft a C. They do not want to reach at 2, even for Kantor. The Jazz might be able to trade the 12 to them for the 2? However, they are more likely to trade CLE for the 4 IF they have anyone CLE wants. CLE would then use their exemption to buy a Vet from a salary dumping team.

Last year nobody would touch Blair. He had NO knee ligaments. So far he is working out fine. Kantor will probably drop a little based on medical exams. Some teams will back off. Everyone is afraid of an Oden.

KOC will draft safe.

May 18, 2011 9:00 a.m.

@JFFR: I just checked out the article by David Aldrige and spent some time learning about Jonas Valanciunas. He is an attractive player, I have to admit. I would not be upset if the Jazz took him over Kanter. I always love players with a high motor and that is what his greatest asset is to me. He does rebound well, blocks shots and scores even though he is not a polished offensive player. He gets many of his points by simply hustling. That is the kind of player that creates havock and starts runs. A player the teammates typically love. His biggest knock is how skinny he is but reports say he is filling out pretty quickly so he could actually be a good pick.

Still, I see no credible report about Kanter's knees. If anyone finds anything credible, please post the URL in your post. I think many of us are interested in it.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Jazz fans prepare for disappointment...not that it is all bad but last year KOC got booed out of the stadium with his pick.

Same type coming this year, the Jazz team will do well but it might not be popular when the pick is made.

Lots of trade talk but the shortest lines in the NBA are teams lining up to get the Jazz trash, ie Bell, Price, CJ, Fes, Elson

• SnipeHookyoFace Farmington, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:11 a.m.

Do NOT draft Kanter! Don't need to take that risk! 1st Option: With Williams and Irving most likely gone by the 3rd pick, the Jazz could snag Knight and work a trade with Portland to pawn off Harris for Matthews. Harris is injury prone and with Favors and Hayward being really young still a core lineup of these guys in a couple years would be sick...

Knight
    Matthews
    Hayward
    Favors

of course you still have Jefferson, Millsap and possibly AK.

May 18, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Valanciunas may be one of the safer picks in the draft. He is very young, been playing at a high level for a few years and is developing fast and well. He is also 6'11" w/o shoes. At 240 and 18 he will add another 20-30 lbs.

He could eventually be another Gasol with a little more weight.

The medical staffs will determine Kantor's knees. Wait for the medical exams.

Forget Tomic. He has a 7 mill contract in Europe. He is not coming over as he can't afford the buy out. He is also not that good. MN loves Euro Cs trade him to them?

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 18, 2011 9:19 a.m.

After watching both Jimmer and Kemba play, Walker will be a good PG for a team that doesn't expect to go far in the playoffs each year. He might be quick, but is smallish (thin), and can't shoot nearly as effectively as Jimmer. He'll get eaten up by the likes of D-Will type PGs. RE: D-Will vs CP3!

And keep in mind, Walker was on a team that had other scoring talent. Jimmer was not.

I get a kick out of how most posters here think a prospect is good at "that" and such, as if those are reasons to draft a player high.

It's all about finding the diamond in the rough. Historically, where you're drafted seldom works out as to where you end up in an NBA career.

Draft according to who you think will become a superstar or a top all-star and you've taken the best approach.

Trying to pick according to minuscule issues is a good way to blind-side yourself.

May 18, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Williams can shoot the 3 well. But is he fast enough to defend the SF? Can he play the wing in the flex?

He is small for a PF and the Jazz do not need a PF. Would he be better than Millsap at SF? He is quicker than most PFs but will he excel at SF? Williams may drop a spot or 2 unless a team needs a tweener.

Does he really solve the Jazz problems at SF? Can he defend the SF perimeter?

Is he any better than Millsap, if Millsap improves his shooting range? I am sure Millsap is working on range. I am not sure if Millsap can improve his perimeter defense.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Bugoff: Some times I question if you have ever seen the players you talk about play, it all sounds like regurgitated numbers and thoughts from other people. Watch some of the film on Williams from college, he can guard the 3. He is an incredible athlete and will be a superior defender on the perimeter compared to Millsap. Millsap needs to be the anchor off the bench, every elite team has one.

By the way, Minnesota doesn't have a need for Williams. They have Beasley and they drafted Wes Johnson last year. They certainly don't need him at the 4 either. They will be looking to trade that pick if they don't fall in love with another player.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 18, 2011 10:17 a.m.

We do not need size, stop talking about Kanter or the other big guys... where are they going to play? You already have Jefferson and Favors occupying 35-40 minutes per game at the 4-5 spots... you DESPERATELY need athleticisn and shooting from the guards and small forward. Hayward is your small forward of the future. I'd take Brandon Knight who can play point or 2-guard with the 3rd pick, and at 12 I'd take Burks or Klay Thompson... NOT Fredette. He's a man without a position in the NBA and is a huge defensive liability. At least Burks and Thompson have the size to guard 2-guards... Fredette cannot, and Jimmer doesn't have the speed to play the point. He's a poor man's Steve Kerr, and we need athletes. Thompson provides shooting as good as Jimmer, better size, and better athleticism... Burks provides worse shooting (still decent), but superior athleticism that leaves Jimmer in the dust.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 18, 2011 10:33 a.m.

@CJMiles, I agree with you that after Williams and Irving it doesn't make a lot a difference where you draft maybe even farther down than 6. Minnesota doesn't need a 3 or 4 and they say their willing to deal, i'm thinking maybe this years 3 and next years GSWarriors pick might move them up 1 spot then pick Williams and hope for Jimmer to be there at 12. If he's not trade the 12 for a couple of later picks and pick up the 18 year old kid Lucas Nogueira from brazil and someone else like maybe Reggie Jackson from Boston College. I think Nogueira a legitimate 7' center will be the best player out of this draft 2-3 years from now.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 18, 2011 10:53 a.m.

The Jazz need someone who can light it up from outside period, Thompson is nowhere near as good a shooter as Fredette, get real, don't forget his shooting percentages were acquired against more double and triple teams than any player has faced in years . Burks is not even decent with his outside shooting and Brandon Knight going to be pretty good but not 3rd pick quality.

Hayward is going to be a 2 guard so in case you missed the last Jazz/Laker game he shut Kobe down as well as any Jazz defender ever has. As a matter of fact maybe as well as anyone in the NBA did all last year. When he starts getting a little respect from the refs people will be talking about his defense.

• Man in Charge Washington, DC
    May 18, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Brandon Knight for sure.

• g-ville ute Grantsville, Utah
    May 18, 2011 11:12 a.m.

i wont watch a jazz game ever again if they pick jimmer

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 11:25 a.m.

g-ville ute | 11:12 a.m. May 18, 2011
    Grantsville, Utah
    i wont watch a jazz game ever again if they pick jimmer

Bye

May 18, 2011 11:29 a.m.

@Jesse I watched the film on most of the players I commented on. Both good and bad film. Williams was a great college PF. He is an undersized NBA PF like Scola who MIGHT be able to play the SF effectively. There are questions about his ability to defend the perimeter especially against SFs. His first step is average for PFs. He may get eaten by long quick SFs.

Great college players do not always make NBA stars. Jimmer is another example. Wait and see how he does in the combine stats and in the work outs. Then you have a better understanding of whether he might be able to play the PG.

It is not all about scoring you also have to be able to defend.

@Mike W Burkes CAN'T shoot or defend. Thompson can't stay in front of his man. He might be okay as a Korver clone but the Jazz can get better from Vet players.

I know Jimmer can shoot but I am waiting for more info on the rest of the package. There will be a lot of movement up and down the board after the combine.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 18, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Seriously people, this is big boy basketball, stop with the Jimmer love-fest.

Hayward is not a 2-guard of the future... if the Jazz or anyone on here believes that, they are doomed to more mediocrity... he is a small forward who can play a few minutes at the 2.

Fredette, as great as he is, is a man without a position in the NBA (ditto to some extent for Kemba Walker). Klay Thompson's 3 point shooting is identical statistically to Fredette, go look it up. To say Fredette is a much better shooter is simply homerism and ignores that Jimmer plays totally out of control at times. Thompson is much bigger, more athletic, and comes from a dad who played in the NBA. If Burks isn't available at 12, Thompson is a great pick.

Brandon Knight at #3 appears to be a no-brainer assuming Irving and Williams go first and second. Knight isn't a great passer, but he's an explosive scorer who has good 3 point range and could play point or 2-guard.

Add Knight, Thompson and Tomic from overseas and you have some great pieces to work with.

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 11:55 a.m.

I would love to see Derrick Williams on the board at #3. I'm not sure why most people posting think he'd be a PF in the NBA, he's a SF all the way and would give us some excellent scoring at that position.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 12:38 p.m.

3d pick - Brandon Knight - Period.

May 18, 2011 12:55 p.m.

MikeW: Your the one who is way off, you must not listen to the coaches or broadcasters that are able to travel with the team and associate with them. Hayward played most of his minutes last year at the 2, he has very good handles, he's a good passer and makes others better. Both Hayward and CJ are better suited to play the 2, KOC has said for years that when the Jazz draft or trade or look to sign FA's they look to get longer and more athletic at every position. Hayward is not the 3 of the future, he is the 2 of the future. Both Hayward and CJ can play the 3 but both are undersized and overmatched at the 3, especially against the top 3's in the league, like James, Durrant, Melo, Granger, etc. At the 2 both CJ & Hayward give the Jazz the advantage KOC is talking about.
    Watching Williams, I think he has the quickness and speed to play the 3, I don't know how comfortable he is playing the 3, because he played the 4 most of the time in college.

May 18, 2011 1:09 p.m.

amgolfer: Your right, you and I usually agree on most things but I don't think you read my comment correctly, I said IF,,IF, Kanter's knees check out OK/Heathy then he is a player we should look to take. There isn't a top notch center in the draft but Kanter can at least play center and he is very skilled. He's 6'11 and long. If Kanter is healthy, again I'm saying IF , IF, he is healthy, he would be a better choice than someone we're not sure about his abilities, Kanter would probablyhave been the # 1 pick if he had played last year. He's definitely a player we should do all our homework on to see if he is healthy or not. If he's healthy, he's too good to pass up. If the Jazz took Kanter, they would then need to look to trade Milsap or Big Al.
    Any player not named, Irving, Williams or Kanter is an uncertainty, I know Knight is liked and he's young but he's unproven as a point guard. He is probably the next best player to pick after thetop3 though.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 18, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Captain L, I never said Hayward was not a good player, I think he has great potential... I just see him a better fit at the 3 as I don't believe he has the quickness to guard 2's as consistently. I'd love to see a lineup like:

PG-Harris, maybe B.Knight
    SG-B.Knight/Burks/KThompson and CJ Miles
    SF-Hayward
    PF-Favors (w/Millsap and Okur backing the big guys)
    C-Jefferson

I agree that I believe Derrick Williams could play the 3, he has good enough range and obviously incredible athleticism... if Minny/Cleveland both pass on him, you cannot pass him up.

May 18, 2011 1:21 p.m.

I know Kanter is an unknown to some degree too, he hasn't played that much but he's not unproven in the area he plays, the center/PF position. Knight hasn't really shown he can be a disdributor/leader,true point guard, he's more of a scorer, alot like Jimmer, I think Jimmer can be just as good as Knight and we could get him at the 12 spot.
    Everything is kinda up in the air right now, there are a lot of unknowns, Kanters health, Jimmers athleticism, can Knight be a great point? Can Williams play the 3?
    I'd like to see the Jazz do there home work on Singleton too, he's a great athlete than can play D and is an OK shooter. How good could he be?
    I followed Tomic as close as I could thru Chuck (Jazz Oracle), he's OK but questionable and not nearly as talented as Kanter, IMO. I like Fes but I'm not sure the Jazz will bring him back. Elson I hope they don't bring back.
    I'd like to see the Jazz use there #3 pick onthemost talented biginthe draft.
    Unlessheproves unhealthy.

May 18, 2011 1:28 p.m.

MikeW: Again your missing the point, Hayward is undersized at the 3, so is CJ, KOC wants us be longer/taller at each position. Hayward showed he can play D on the top 2's the last several weeks of the season. It's not a case of can Hayward play the 3, he can, so can CJ BUT there on the short end and at a disavantage. Since both have proven they can play the 2, why would we want to play them at the 3 were they are at a disadvantage. Give us the advantage and play them at the 2.

May 18, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Maybe I'm frustrated with Big Al and Milsaps defense, but both played very poor D, last year and if Kanter is healthy I think he would end up being an upgrade. Like I've said, the Jazz need to do their homework but if he's healthy, I think we need to pick him.
    Then trade Big Al or Milsap and get the wings we need.

May 18, 2011 1:35 p.m.

If the Jazz take Knight then obviously we wouldn't pick Jimmer but if we don't take Knight with the 3rd pick I hope we take Jimmer with the 12th. There are other players I like at 12 but Jimmer would give us what we need in the way of a shooter and he has the potential to develop as a point guard.
    Like I said Singleton could be an interestin pick, mostly because of his athleticism and his defense.

May 18, 2011 1:48 p.m.

If the Jazz took Knight at the 3 spot, I'd like to see BB or Singleton or maybe Tobias Harris at the 12, we need a 3 or a big, that can play D.

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    May 18, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Do you guys really think that Knight is that much better than DHarris? I don't see it. Give Harris a chance next year, and draft a PG next year (there will be some good ones) if he doesn't pan out.

Also, why is everyone in love with Burks and Thompson? Personally, I think Marshon Brooks will be better then both. Another thought at #12 is Singelton to replace AK's defense (and help support the lack of defense of the frontcourt). I am interested to see how Jimmer does in the camps to see if he is worth a look for a combo guard.

If Canter's knees are NOT a problem, AND Irving and Williams are gone, who is the better option at #3? Okur will be gone after next year, and AJ and Milsap the year after that. If he works out, Milsap would be great trade bait for a scoring wing (although I would hate to see him go). 6'11" guys that can play don't grow on trees, but 6'2"-6'6" guys are a dime a dozen.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 18, 2011 2:57 p.m.

"Since both have proven they can play the 2, why would we want to play them at the 3 were they are at a disadvantage"

Disagree... I'm not sure either has proven they can play the 2 at a starting, 35-40 minutes per game level. Hayward showed flashes late, but also had some struggles late as well. I am nowhere near convinced he is a 2 guard, he is not athletic enough nor quick enough for elite 2 guards. As a three, he gives up size at times, but the matchups are more favorable athletically and Hayward's all-around ball handling/passing at the 3, combined with in theory two good ball handlers in the back court only enhances your team's offense. Think of Devin Harris, Brandon Knight, Hayward, Favors and Jefferson w/Millsap, CJ, Okur and the #12 pick off the bench (Burks/Singleton)... that is a nice foundation plus the money the Jazz have coming off the books to spend.

As for Millsap/Jefferson's weak D, while I agree, there is no stopper you're going to get in this draft to clog the middle...it isn't Kanter.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 18, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Mike W,

Hayward can't guard quick 2s? So Kobe is slow?

Hayward befuddled Kobe the last time they played.

Jazz fans have always lamented not having a 2 who could match up with Kobe. Now, the Jazz have their long-sought after 2 the Jazz have needed. He'll do just fine there, with Miles as his backup (Miles would also back up the 3--he's interchangeable there as a backup). Miles is not a starter.

Knight doesn't impress me as a future superstar. Just another CP3, who's NOT a superstar, just an all-star PG. CP3 can't take over ANY game and win it for the team like a superstar can. He might get hot against the right defense sometimes, but can't dictate his game to just any team.

Jordan and Kobe were/are defacto superstars. They can be unstoppable MOST of the time, which is the criteria for being a superstar. (No one's perfect.)

Jimmer was unstoppable in college. Anyone who thinks NBA players didn't come from college, and therefore Jimmer would be stoppable in the NBA, don't have their heads screwed on straight.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 18, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Posters who think Jimmer performed poorly in his last half dozen games obviously don't take into account the enormous pressure he was under as both a celebrity (you lose time every day from that), and was his team's de facto scorer.

AND, you don't take into account his injured calf in his last game. Jump shooters can't be consistent with a bum leg.

Just one BYU player making just ONE play was all that BYU was away from advancing in the NCAAs. Jimmer did his part. His teammates didn't show up.

Not to make excuses for Jimmer, but he had reasons for subpar games near the end of his college career, but still scored over 30 in most of them, anyway.

He'll open eyes in this week's combine.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:22 p.m.

The Jazz need to draft Knight/Irving/Williams with the 3rd pick. With the 12th pick, we go with Jimmer/Burks/Leanord,

Kanter may be a good player in five years, but why draft a guy to sit at the end of the bench and try to scrap for minutes?

Our back court has to be priority number ONE! After losing D-WIll, Wes Mathews, the back court has struggled to say the least.

Our Big guys are solid and there just is not a true Center in this draft class,I say bring Fesenko back and give Memo those scrap minutes that any big man would be fighting for. If Memo can play through the first half of the season healthy and play well, this team will be fine.

Please Jazz, don't gamble on a big man.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:34 p.m.

"Knight doesn't impress me as a future superstar. Just another CP3, who's NOT a superstar, just an all-star PG."

What????? You're disappointed if Knight turns into just an all-star PG? Kinda like the guy we traded away? I think that would be great value at the #3 to get an all-star PG.

"Jimmer was unstoppable in college"

Well, that is half true... but how much of his production was the ridiculous amount of shots he put up? Again, as I've mentioned multiple times on here, STATISTICALLY he is no better 3-point shooter than Brandon Knight, and no better than Klay Thompson. Any of them put up 10 3 point shots, they all make 4, that is fact. Start factoring in all around game and Fredette falls behind these guys rapidly.

May 18, 2011 4:08 p.m.

I reviewed Knight carefully. He attacks as well as Harris, is bigger, smooth and he can shoot from the outside.

His weakness seems to be that he does not see the court that well at times. That probably fixes with 2 years of experience. He got better as the year went on.

Some knowledgeable people think Knight might eventually be better than Irving.

I think Knight is a good pick at 3. However, Williams, Kantor and Valanuinas might also be good at 3.

I don't like Kemba but get more info and wait for the work outs.

At 12 Leonard may be good if his shooting improves. Jimmer may be good assuming his vert is 36 and is sprint is 3.0 or better. DWill was 3.25. Price was 3.29.

Burks is a slasher not a shooter and his D makes Jimmer look good. He is a bad choice for the Jazz. Brewer with no D.

Thompson is basically Korver. He can not stay in front of his man.

The Jazz can get Vets who can shoot and defend for reasonable at SF/SG.

They need the right C and PG. They have next year's draft.

May 18, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Should read "Jimmers sprint is 3.3 or better".

May 18, 2011 4:15 p.m.

There is a lot of biased Ute nonsense on Jimmer. Since expectations about his D are low he will shoot up the boards on his combine stats IF

1. His vert is 36 inches. Tyreke Evans had a 34 inch vert at the combine.

2. His sprint is 3.3 or better. Brandon Roy was 3.27. Steph Curry was 3.28. DWill was 3.25. Price was 3.29. They are all SLOW compared to Rose at 3.05.

Further, wait for his work outs. That will tell if he can stay in front of his man. BYU's defensive scheme is not something that should be the basis of deciding IF Jimmer can play in the NBA.

After a couple of workouts the Jazz will know quickly if Jimmer is someone they want. He may or may not fit the Jazz.

If the Jazz go big with the 3 they will trade Millsap or AJ during the next 2 years. If the Jazz go Knight (I do not see Kemba. He is a short version of Harris) they will trade Harris.

If they go big at 3 there is a good probablity they take Jimmer at 12.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    May 18, 2011 4:47 p.m.

I tend to think the Jazz need athletic taller shooters...They had almost know three point threats on the team. Kanter could be risky, Knight might be the guy, apparently KOC is very high on him...They could even consider a Nowitski type player in Vesely..

May 18, 2011 4:48 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe: I agree with you about Hayward, anyone who watched him play the last month or so of the season should have been able to see that he can play D on the best of the 2's the league has.
    Even though I'm a big Jimmer fan and hope for the best, I don't necessarily agree with your grand statements about Jimmer, I hope your right and I feel he has a chance to be what you say BUT time will tell. He's got to show us he can do it. Like I've said, I think Jimmer can be a great point guard but some of that is hope, some of that is seeing his skills/potential. Again time will tell.
    Bugoff: I agree with most of what you said, I'm not a Walker fan, although he's a good player I don't think he is what we need.
    LAJazzFan: I agree with what you said, it makes sense. Funny how things that make sense are so difficult for some to understand.
    Marshon Brooks has been showing very well in workouts. Thompson isn't very athletic.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    May 18, 2011 4:51 p.m.

We all know if the Jazz draft Jimmer it will be with the 12th pick. I just hope he is still available so he is at least an option for the Jazz when they make that pick. No one knows if he will be an all-star or a starter or even a good role player for some team until we can see how he can performs at the next level. But in this year's draft I sure think it's worth a risk taking Jimmer with the 12th pick.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 18, 2011 6:00 p.m.

How bout the Jazz trade up to 4...either giving up Al Jeff or Millsap...packaged with next year's golden state pick...If Cleveland grabs Irving...and Minnesota grabs Williams...we could have Kanter and Knight...plus a late 12th pick that could be a diamond...but...i think i saw a post here...saying that...Cleveland might go big with Kanter...that leaves irving to minnesota...that leaves us williams...and they'll get knight...Cleveland would get most of what they have...grabing a future stud PG and a beast big man...that leaves us the 3 we need....if we could trade up with Cleveland offering next year's golden state pick + Devin harris we could probably Snag Knight at the 4...giving us..probably a better chance of having a solid young core...think about it...

Al Jeff
    Favors
    Williams
    Hayward
    Knight

this is a tall lineup...if you asked me...a bit undersized at C...but...we make it up by the length of our wings...If we did get Kanter and we traded Al Jeff and we got Knight

Kanter
    Favors
    ?
    Hayward
    Knight

there still the 3 spot hole...

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 18, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Captain L,

Didn't you notice how Jimmer took personal some things that happened in games, and simply beat the other player by scoring on him? He did it more than a few times, against several mouthy players of different teams.

I think Jimmer's performance against New Mexico in that win showed a lot.

Jimmer's a fighter. Don't doubt him.

As I've said before, Jimmer's excelled at every level he's been at, in spite of the naysayers, and his supposed lack of athleticism.

Jimmer's driven. His family saw it in him at a very early age. That's probably why his older brother spent so much time helping him to succeed.

Tapes don't measure heart. Just ask Larry Bird.

May 18, 2011 6:51 p.m.

WhatsInITForMe: I hope your right.
    Getting the 3rd pick makes this draft very interesting and much more exciting.
    There are alot of possibilities, Knight, or Kanter at 3. Jimmer, Biyombo, Singleton, THarris at 12. Do players that we might have considered at 6 still fit into consideration? Vesely, Leonard, Jonas, Donatas, ?
    Hearing about the workouts will be interesting.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 18, 2011 7:10 p.m.

The sickest part about the draft, is the fact that someone that gets passed up on, or over looked, could end up being a star, it happens every year.

No matter what happens, people will complain about whoever we pick, it seems to be a natural response when the Jazz do not draft who we think they should.

Last year, I admit, I was one of those fans standing there at ESA scratching my head when they announced the number 9 pick Gordon Hayward. Looks like a good pick so far.

My point is, you never really know, but I still think no matter who we draft, we will be a better team next year.

We still have CBA and hopefully a decent free agent or two will sign here or a good trade to look forward to as well.

Lets Go Jazz!!!

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Folks, Kanter is not close to 6'11", and he hasn't played a game in well over a year. Odds are he's a lot closer to Arajuo than he is to Bogut. I'd pick him too if he's there, and then try to trade Millsap for the rights to Knight and/or an elite perimeter player, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Everything I've read is Minny is strongly considering Kanter at 2 if they can't trade the pick. Derrick Williams is the same size as Millsap with a smaller work ethic, less interest in defense, and less experience playing SF.

I'm excited too, but Favors would be the number one pick in this draft by lightyears, and Hayward would be the 5th pick at absolute worst, prolly go 2nd if were coming off a second straight NCAA run, and Butler wins if he's there.

I'm excited too, but let's settle down, there are no superstars in this draft.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    May 18, 2011 7:50 p.m.

Does it matter?

May 18, 2011 8:50 p.m.

I'd be pleased with Knight at 3 and Singleton or Bismack Biyombo at 12, we could use some defense.
    Things will probably change many times between now and the draft but it will be fun and interesting to share opinions and read about the players.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    May 18, 2011 9:17 p.m.

I cannot understand what all of you commentors and some of the network so-called experts are doing when selecting either Knight or Walker. We do NOT need another PG. None of you have had time and apparently not watched Harris much previously or you would know that he is solid, and he is NOT old. A young PG will NOT contribute the 1st year or two in this league, and we have all witnessed better PG's in the past do the same. Anyone remember D-Will? He didn't either. Size will never hurt you and that along with a wing or two through the draft or free agency is where I would go. Watson can back up Harris and maybe next year go for a PG, but not with a lottery pick this year please Kevin.

May 18, 2011 10:24 p.m.

@ Mike W from Syracuse, UT--so what exactly are you drinking in your neck of the woods? You know nothing about JF, obviously. Burks has athleticism and that's it buddy.....He can't shoot the trey from long range and last time I checked we desperately need shooters--you do remember that, right???. JF would be a great pick up; you've obviously never seen him play live. Can't believe I just wasted 30 Seconds of my life even commenting on such pure ignorance.

@G-ville ute(fitting)--another Ute fan to embarrass the rest. I echo CocoNutzz, C ya....we just don't need fair-weathered fans like you, ever. Again, I bid your farewell:)

Thanks to all the positive posters out there; I appreciate your input.....Go Jazz.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 18, 2011 10:34 p.m.

@Old Timer

I have watched Harris before...and im not sold on him as a PG...so im asking you...have you really watched Harris?...why do you think Dallas shipped him for an older Kidd?...and have you watched the british street baller that left Devin Harris to dust on a pick up game?...all harris has is Speed...he is not a good shooter...he isnt much of a game manager...he doesnt distribute the ball well...if you like that in a PG...be my guest...its your opinion...its just that...i dont think highly of him...D will didnt produce because he was coming off the bench...if he was playing major minutes..who would have easily produce well...the difference between CP3 and D-Will's rookie season...CP3 played major minutes and started right off the bat...D-will...was coming off the bench...having limited minutes...But i'd like us to draft a wing...if not...it has to be Brandon Knight...and trade harris with the 12th pick to either moveup...or grab a wing...

May 18, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Man Mike W what's your deal bagging on Fredette; did you bet on him in Vegas only to lose out on a lot of cash????? Who else was going to help Fredette consistently on Offense??? Emory at times but the load was on JF as we ALL know. He played with such tenacity and poise and you can't argue that. He skills are far above your listed wanna Be's. Burks can't shoot or play D. Can you imagine for one second if Fredette played hardcore D every game??? He would have had nothing left to lift his team on offense; the stud had to concern energy so the Y could win......the pressure and load was on him every single game except the bottom feeder teams-then Emory, Hartsock or Davies could lift and help.

You should stop while your ahead on the subject b/c you aren't seeing the big picture. JF will do great in the NBA and if we pass him up we will regret it in my opinion. You watch he will impress and his stock will rise quickly. He will only get better b/c of his heart....

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    May 19, 2011 12:07 a.m.

I don't know how people can say Hayward can't play the 2. Over the last month of the season he excelled, playing almost exclusively at the 2. Just the Laker game alone, to me, proves that he is a 2. He outplayed Kobe on both ends of the floor, something I have never really seen happen from a Jazz player since Shandon Anderson dominated Kobe when he was still a teenager. He is also on the skinny side still and defending 2's is much more favorable for him than guarding 3's.

Bugoff: Sorry, not trying to attack you, but sometimes you just get carried away with numbers. I used to think I was kind of a stat guy but you take it to crazy levels at times. Obviously, Jimmer's pre-draft numbers are going to affect his draft stock, but I don't think they will make or break his career. Honestly, the further he falls in the draft the better. The situation he falls into will be the biggest factor in how strong of a career he has.

May 19, 2011 1:12 a.m.

@Jesse Your comment is well taken. I teach and do research. I have used the Jazz as a publication topic in the past. That way I can do a lot of research about the Jazz and call it work.

You are right Jimmer is best served on a strong team that can develop him for a couple of years. He would also benefit from a good match between the style of the team and his strengths. ORL would be a very good team for him and his skill set and capability is similar to Nelson's at least based on preliminary numbers. Backing up Nelson for a couple of years would be good for him.

I read earlier today there are 4 types of PGs. Scorers (Harris was used as an example. Kemba is another), facilitators, (DWill) distributors and I forgot the last type.

Harris shoots/drives first (inefficiently) and assists if necessary. That hacks off everyone else on the team as they are support for the PGs ego.

Inefficiency is Kryptonite for the Jazz. Harris and CJ are inefficient. AJ was most of the year.

The Jazz are losers if they are inefficient. Harris could change?

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 19, 2011 2:41 a.m.

@Bugoff

i dont think harris would change...he has been like that ever since the Mavs drafted him...even in his lone all-star appearance...he only got there because he attempted a lot of shots and scored a lot of points...he is a shoot first past later PG...this is why im never really high on him...

May 19, 2011 9:01 a.m.

I agree, Harris could change and we'll have to give him a chance but it's not likely. If the Jazz draft Knight, maybe they can develop Knight and help him try to look for his teammates first but its hard to change old habits.
    The same could be said about Jimmer, but I think Jimmer will be more open to putting his offense aside and forcing himself to be a facilitator vs scorer if for not other reason than to prove to people he can.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 19, 2011 9:56 a.m.

JazzFanMontana

You asked for a link showing where Enes Kanter has knee problems. Unfortunately, the Deseret News does not allow URLs (links) to be including in postings.

Hopefully, however, they were allow me to tell you that DraftExpress has a picture showing Enes Kanter wearing knee bands. Players don't wear those unless they need them for support. That alone makes me leery of drafting Kanter at 3.