Mike Sorensen: Never too early to talk college football

Comments

• BayAreaCougFan Pleasanton, CA
    May 15, 2011 7:32 p.m.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 15, 2011 7:34 p.m.

Again this can't be. Based on the troll experts Utah will be the doormates of the PAC12.

Personally I'd wish Utah would go undervalued...less pressure.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Excited for football in the state of Utah. I'm probably more excited for the Utah v BYU match up this year than ever. Although we are in different conferences, I feel there is an added twist. BCS conference vs Independence. Winner will get to remind the other all season who won. The game is going to be on ESPN, people will start to see how intense this rivalry really is. Those who are predicting a blow out are probably homers.

Jordan Wynn is going to be the biggest ? for the Utes. If he has his confidence, I think he will do well. If he can play with the confidence and poise of the game vs Iowa State, then he could be a very solid QB. I'm interested to see how he meshes with the new offense. I think it will fit his style better. He's not meant to be a spread QB. Excited to see how all the backs do. Langi should be fun to watch.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 15, 2011 7:42 p.m.

"Dont be so sure Mike that the Cougs are going to the Armed Forces Bowl. I would say a BCS bowl is more likely!"

One thing is for "sure". It's either the Helecopter bowl or a BCS game. No other option.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 15, 2011 7:44 p.m.

Well there you go Hedgie, Utes are hyped to win the South and the Holiday Bowl. I can't wait to see this unfold and you said it, not me... pressure is on.

It appears the Cougars have the opportunity to meet and exceed expectations.

Utes, not so much.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    May 15, 2011 8:02 p.m.

"

However, most of us have done our homework, collecting information from the various schools and the leagues as well as some of the coaches, so at least we know more than the average guy on the street."

I wouldn't be so sure.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:10 p.m.

There are no expectations for the Cougars because nobody wants them. If I knew I was only going to the Armed Forces Bowl, I would stay in the MWC.

I can guarantee that BYU be one of the top four Independents. Right behind Notre Dame and Navy. They might be better than Army and that rounds out all the independents.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:17 p.m.

Let's get the hockey playoffs done. Go canucks.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    May 15, 2011 8:19 p.m.

its really amazing how everybody can tell the future

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 15, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Utah could finish 1st in the PAC south, and BYU could go undefeated and reach a BCS bowl game. All of BYU's games are winnable and all of Utah's games are winnable, though likely the teams will lose a couple of games (more likely the Utes will lose 3 or 4).

The PAC is overrated, and Utah may struggle getting used to playing all these new teams every week rather than the familiar MWC teams they have been playing. BYU is in a better situation because most of their hard games are up front and BYU tends to do well in the first few weeks of the season (at least the first two weeks; fortunately the week 3 opponent this year won't embarass BYU like the past couple of years). BYU's "new" opponents in the later season should be almost guaranteed wins (except Hawaii).

It's not too early to talk college football (I love it, and can't wait for it to start!), but it is too early to make an accurate prediction. You may predict, but don't bet too much on it.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Ah its that time of year again, preseason predictions. They always mean so much dont they? I mean afterall were only 108 days away from kickoff and haven't even had a fall practice yet. While its fun to talk about and try and project whats gonna happen in the upcoming season, its hard to take preseason picks serious. Alot is gonna happen and change between now until the end of the season that it will look nothing like it does now at the end of the season. September cant get here fast enough so we can see how it really all unfolds!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:55 p.m.

hedgehog

"It's either the Helecopter bowl or a BCS game. No other option."

You're forgetting that the Armed Forces Bowl is owned by ESPN. Boise State wasn't supposed to play in the Las Vegas Bowl last year, but with ESPN pulling the strings, I would put a big TBD on BYU's bowl destination if the Cougars don't play in a BCS bowl.

KamUte

"If I knew I was only going to the Armed Forces Bowl, I would stay in the MWC."

This is why you're not BYU's AD. Trading the MTN for ESPN was the main motivation for leaving the MWC. BYU is already scheduled to play on ESPN FIVE times this year, with more games possible depending on how the season plays out. Regardless, EVERY BYU game will be on national television, on ESPN and/or BYUtv.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    May 15, 2011 10:25 p.m.

My prediction is that, for the first time ever, I will be able to watch every BYU game on TV. Leaving the Mountain West was a huge access upgrade for fans. I streamed the '09 BYU-OU game on-line last night. And I am excited to know that every game will be available in that same manner this year.

• Utahute72 Tooele, UT
    May 15, 2011 10:30 p.m.

Obviously BYU fans weren't listening their AD. Unless they go 12 - 0, something they have only done once in their history, they are locked into the bowls they signed with. It would take a lot of things to change that. It only happened for Boise last year because their slotted bowl, the humanitarian was willing to lose them. And the team slotted in the bowl, a PAC 10 team in this case has to vacate the bowl. NO team slotted in a higher bowl will vacate that bowl, meaning it will be the Armed Forces, Fight Hunger or Vegas Bowl, taking A slot from the PAC, ACC or some other big six conference team. BTW the lowest ranked PAC bowl, the New Mexico bowl, anyone for a return trip to ABQ.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 15, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Exciting stuff as the preseason predictions are starting to come out! I'm hoping the Utes live up to these expectations. I know it is a lot to hope for a Division title, but obviously not impossible. Can't wait for fall.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 15, 2011 11:03 p.m.

This is going to be an exciting season with all the changes.

First Utah - I think the success of the season depends on Wynn's shoulder and the running game. Wynn struggled the second half of the season. For starters, Utes have to hope the surgery was successful and gets him back to 100%. There doesn't apprear to be any strength behind Wynn. Second the running game is a big question mark. Will Langi be able to be an impact player his Freshman year? I think USC will surprise a lot of teams this year. I think they'll shake off last year, and be back to a Top 25 team (maybe Top 10). I recognize I have some bias, but at USC and at Provo will be the toughest games for Utah.

BYU will have a shot at a BCS bowl if they only have one loss to a Top 25 team on the road. Texas will be better than this article predicts and will compete for a Big 12 championship. At Texas and at TCU will be the toughest games for BYU. Heaps will show he's a stud. BYU will finish at least 10-2.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:24 a.m.

I don't see BYU making a BCS bowl game at 11-1 let alone 10-2. Regardless, I see losses to Ole Miss, Texas and TCU as a best case scenario IMO. More likely add OSU and UCF. Heaps is still only a Soph, so can't really expect detmer like numbers this soon.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 16, 2011 12:33 a.m.

"Unless they go 12 - 0, something they have only done once in their history, they are locked into the bowls they signed with."

Actually, they have gone 12-0 twice. The second time was in 2001 when BYU finished their 12th game to go 12-0, just to find out right before their 13th game that they were "dismissed from consideration" for a BCS bowl. Combine that heartbreak with player injuries and they lose their last two games. (Just a side note, 8 of those games were broadcast on ESPN)

By the way, what was Utah's record when they got their BCS bowl games? And they say they broke the system on their own.... BSU and BYU helped them out. If BYU nor BSU had gone 12-0 before, Utah would have been the one "dismissed from consideration".

I also stand by what I said about a division title for Utah.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    May 16, 2011 5:34 a.m.

@CougFaninTX 11:03

Your comment is the most well thought out and realistic thing I've read on this board so far.

My personal opinion is, Utah will finish either 6-6 or 7-5 while BYU will finish 9-3 or 10-2. But since the Utes will have the tougher schedule and is the one school from the Beehive State everybody is expecting the most from, any winning season, their first year in the PAC-12, should be respectable.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 16, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Kamutant

What channel are you guys on this fall? I'm still waiting to hear an answer.

Here, have a table scrap, also known as charity, you're on ESPN2 for one game.

You're welcome.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Uteology | 1:21 p.m. May 8, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

About Heaps on Anthon...

"Yeap its preseson BYU's time of year."
    ===

Now it seems that preseason has meaning.

It makes you question, are they saying that Utah with a questionalble QB, and no running back is that good, or is the PAC-12 south tha bad?

Can't wait to not be able to see the games on TV for the nation to draw their own conclusions...

• hohum Saint George, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:18 a.m.

When anyone talks of u schedule tougher they are assuming the pac10 is that tough. Take Ore and Stanford out and there is not anyone of meaning including the u.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:30 a.m.

Texas and Ole Miss need to get ranked before BYU gets ranked. Which will happen.

• CaptainCougar Sandy, Utah
    May 16, 2011 8:39 a.m.

If Wynn stays healthy, I think the Utes will challenge for the Pac 12 south title. They'll find a running back and get things working quickly. If Wynn goes down, it could be a long season.

I think BYU goes 11-1 with slip up at Texas. The bowl situation is ugly, but I'll take it to have all their games on TV. Better bowl games will come in the near future.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 8:40 a.m.

so let me get this straight

Based on Sporting News
    It appears as if only Utah and TCU will be ranked teams that the kewgs cougs will play next year.

Dr. Hill - get rid of this meaningless game!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:49 a.m.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:51 a.m.

hedgehog | 8:40 a.m. May 16, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI

"so let me get this straight

Based on Sporting News

As I've said many times before. BYU needs the Utah game soooo much more than utah needs the kewgs."

===

Hedge,

What do you see as the problem?

So, what is your concern?

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:02 a.m.

It just hit me how messed up this is...
    If Utah loses all of their non-conference games and AZ State; they can still play in the PAC-12 Champions Game for the Rose Bowl.
    I hate the BCS.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 16, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Utah Utes: Preseason National Champions.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 9:22 a.m.

"Is BYU the better team? Utah should win, and prove their position in the rankings, right?

So, what is your concern?"

Because utah doesn't benefit from such a match up. When the Utah game is the BIGGEST thing on the kewg schedule ( and possible the 10 most important of the Utes) that's a problem.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Riverton Coog

Nice try, but undefeated and 12-0 are not the same thing. When byU beats everyone on their schedule twice, come to the table.

Sammyg

The only thing you got is TV smack? lol

Good times

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Hedgie... Define a Doormate for me. I'm not clear exactly what that is. It sounds...I don't know...you tell me. And as far as this article goes...like the author states at the beginning...you take it with a grain of Salt...a big grain of salt.

You'll like Jack Murphy Stadium though. Tell Wynn he better practice his throwing and get that arm loosened up. He's got a lot of BYU passing records there to surpass. Good Luck.

• LetsBeRational Spanish Fork, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:54 a.m.

@ OU812
    "Heaps is still only a Soph, so can't really expect detmer like numbers this soon."
    Are you saying that Heaps, a soph, will not have Detmer soph numbers? What is your logic?

• Lehicoug Lehi, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:56 a.m.

Oh, man. I can't wait to see the SMACK DOWN Arizona State is gonna put on the Utes this year.

Reality Check...hand delivered by the Sun Devils!!

Also...for once in my life I will be rooting for the University of Arizona. Wildcats kick some Ute tail.

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    May 16, 2011 10:03 a.m.

wow the utes get a crumb and open the flood gates. considering you basically have the same team as last year your going to the poinsettia bowl if any.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Razzle2 | 9:02 a.m.
    Bluffdale, UT

===

How is that a problem? If they run the PAC, that's the Bowl Tie-in.

===========
    hedgehog | 9:22 a.m.
    Ann Arbor, MI

"Because utah doesn't benefit from such a match up.

Y should Utah schedule trap games? It makes no sense...expect that Dr. Hill is charitable."

===

Would you rather Utah schedule more cup-cakes?

If BYU - Utah is a trap game, you haven't been following the rivalry long. Besides, the Utes can lose all noconference games, and run the PAC, they are in the Rose Bowl.

Also, the game give Utah a chance to play on national TV, thanks to BYU's independent TV contract.

It seems to me that Holmoe is doing Hill a favor getting the U on TV.

But, if an independent BYU scares the BCS Ute fans, maybe a letter writing campaign can get U out of the game?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Oh and yes Hedgie I almost forgot. Jack Murphy stadium... there in San Diego. that's where time literally stood still in 1984 and the two biggest long standing time honored traditions in College Football were not only "Busted"... but broken. It became in 1984... and remains today the only stadium in all of College Football before the creation of the Bowl Alliance or the Bowl Championship Series today to Crown a National Champion for a game that was not played on the Holiest of Days in College Football... i.e New Years and not in what are still considered the 3 most holiest of shrines. The Sugar Bowl...The Orange Bowl or "The Grandaddy of Them All..." The Rose Bowl. Now that's True Bowl Busting!!! The Fiesta Bowl is not one of the Holy Shrines. It really doesn't even belong in the same class as the other 3. The Cotton Bowl should have been the obvious choice. The Fiesta is and will always remain a last minute add on and a Johnny come lately bowl to create a new manipulative and exclusionary system for arbitrarily insuring the crowning of a National Champion from a bogus limited field

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Well, if Sporting News said it then is must be fact and in that case why even play the games? Crown their "you know what" and lets move on.

I still think the Utes lose 3-4 games this year. @USC, @BYU, @Arizona and possibly @Pitt.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 16, 2011 10:36 a.m.

hedge,
    I see your delusional as well as the usual obsessed today.
    Utah has been given a "gift" with the easiest conference schedule in the pac. They could go undefeated in the south division and implode at the end of the season like they did last year. I expect they will have a couple of losses before the pac championship game though. They lost several of their best players and are inexperienced as key skill positions.
    BYU has everything to prove this year and their schedule is a little easier than it appears. The biggest games on their schedule, TCU, Texas, and Miss are all rebuilding or coming off of below average years including Utah. All they have to do is manage their games and avoid mistakes and they should have a great year with 10-12 wins.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 10:37 a.m.

"Would you rather Utah schedule more cup-cakes?"

Buster,

hmmmm yes. You see, these non AQ cames against BYU are nothing more than practice games. Why play a game against a team that circles the date as thier biggest game of the year (bigger than any bowl game)and determined to take cheap shots in the name of honor.

This game is all the kewgs have...I'd love nothing more than to take it away.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 10:46 a.m.

@Utah Ute...you're confused on what "Lock in" means...It means guaranteed not restricted. If a better offer comes to BYU. It has the right to accept that better offer. Teams do not become slotted unless they accept a bid or are restrictedly tied by their conference ties to a bowl...and even those have some play room.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 10:48 a.m.

"If BYU loses any games, there goes a shot at any BCS. It seems BYU has more to lose."

Buster,

But you see busted...the kewgs NEED these types of games. Beating Idaho st. does not further your cause in reaching a BCS game. As for Utah? Zero need to play BYU as thier BCS aspirations are connected to the invite to the "conference of champions

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    May 16, 2011 10:50 a.m.

@hedgehog last year the utes lost 3 of 5 and escaped a byu loss. byu will be improved this year if i were a team up north fan with a new offence and a QB coming off surgery, id be real nervous about playing byu in game #3 instead of game #12. by the looks of the spring game he better stay healthy or your season is over. look for a scare with mt and a loss to usc.

its laughable that utes say were doing byu a favor by playing them. remember the utes do benefit by playing byu only if they win. mid level bcs teams cant play all cupcakes and get a sniff at their own mythical NC.

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    May 16, 2011 10:56 a.m.

hedgehog | 10:37 a.m. May 16, 2011
    "Why play a game against a team that circles the date as thier biggest game of the year (bigger than any bowl game)and determined to take cheap shots in the name of honor."

Good point hedgie, but BYU scheduled it anyway and will be ready for any cheap shots that may their way. Oh wait, were you talking about Utah? Oh sorry, my bad. In that case, Utah scheduled it so they could get on national television.

Seriously though, it's the fans of both schools that circle the date on their calenders and not the teams. The teams usually focus on their next game. Personally, I'm more excited about the Ole Miss and Texas games.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Hedgie's on the run boy's... he can't even put out a proper complete sentence...it's... AQ games Hedgie...games... and if the Cougs do have "game" like you yourself just said they do...and like we already know they do... then we're set. So good luck in the preasean to try and take it away from BYU. Anae won't be there to help you this time.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Razzle2 said,

"I've been wondering...if Utah gets beat up by AZ State and AZ State loses to Oregon and Stanford; who is the South Division Champion? (Assuming Utah wins the rest of the conference games?)"

The answer is simple, Utah. Under that scenario Utah would only have one conference loss and AZ State would have two. The team in the division with the best conference record wins the division.

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    May 16, 2011 11:06 a.m.

utes to make it to a bcs game you have to either win the pac 12 or lose in the championship game only if the winner is selected for the title game. this year you basically got the bottom half of the league, but you still will have to play either oregon or stanford to get there. you will have a bulls eye on your back every week and the pac isn't the mwc, you actually have a better chance to get to a bcs bowl in the mwc. utes have always called byu fans delusional. welcome to the party pal.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:08 a.m.

@Ann from Arbor 10:48...

I'm guessing that both teams NEED to schedule the best opponents possible.

As fun as it's been to watch Utah fans fear BYU over the years, this years fear (exhibited by yourself, and the other haters), combined with the arrogance of "fully invited", is especially delightful and humorous.

However, reading your rambling get's tiresome.

I guess we can finish this conversation in September?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Hedgie
    Like I said before...You are extremely myoptic...You can't see very far ahead...in fact unless you smell something you can't even tell what it is. That's the way of life for a Hedgehog. You chose it...I didn't. 2011 is just a beginning...an Amazing beginning for BYU all things considered. Future years already are replacing the Idaho's and the Idaho States with the likes of Texas, USC and Notre Dames so there is nothing to worry about. One year does not make or break a program. Montana State isn't exactly Alabama nor is the PAC anything close to the SEC. The only difference is that your PAC menu came with previously preset menu items. All you and the conference had to do was fill in the dates.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 16, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Someone call for help . . . Ann Arbor has fallen overboard.

BYU vs Utah will continue to be a great rivalry game, but to call it "all the Cougs have" is preposterous. It's certainly not the milestone game it was in prior years. I'm afraid the Utes will no longer be ranked by the time they get to Provo.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to several bigger games this year. The upcoming series with Texas, one of the top 5 hallowed programs in all of college football, will have all of Cougar Nation and Orange Bloods tuned in. And to play TCU in the best stadium in all of college football is monumental. By the way, this is our second visit to Cowboy stadium. How many times have the Utes been invited?

So go ahead, write your letter to Dr. Hill, and see if you can stop this "trap game" and play another cupcake like Montana St - moving the Utes towards insignificance. Also, removing the Utes from any nationally televised games.

The Cougars will continue to seek out the best competition we can find and continue to elevate our program, soon to include Notre Dame, West Virginia, and others.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    May 16, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Wow, good luck, utes. BYU has been to the Holiday Bowl about 10 times. This PAC-12 deal really is helping you see life from the top.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    May 16, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Preseason is meaningless.

The Comments on this board are meaningless.

The only thing that matters is the number of wins and the number of losses for each team at the end of the season.

But that won't shut up the trolls.

They obviously don't have anything better to do than to stock BYU articles and try to disparage the team.

I however have better things to do.

I'm out.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:35 a.m.

There are at least 5 games on BYU's schedule this year that I am looking forward to more than the utah game. BYU plays utah every year so it is simply same old same old and not really exciting. Also I think utah will be extremely mediocre this year and not really much of a game to watch. It wouldn't bother me at all to quit scheduling utah although I don't think that is going to happen. Utah has to play that game, and win it, to have any hope with instate and LDS recruits.

Being a perenially middle of the pac10 team with little to no national tv coverage is not going to get those recruits for utah, and they simply have to have them as they will mostly lose the recruiting battles for the 4 and 5 star guys to the much more presitgious pac10 schools like usc, oregon, ucla, washington, asu, au, cal, osu and stanford although they should recruit ok against cu and wsu.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:55 a.m.

What a joke the Utes will finish at 6-6 OR 5-7 and will get destroyed by 30+ points to bYU

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:06 p.m.

You out did yourself today Duck. Quite possibly the most narcissistic set of comments to date. I know some will say that the Utah County Cougars are egotistical and arrogant but you just out did them all. So the article in Sporting News means nothing and your crystal balls have given you visions and insights beyond that of the writers for notable sports magazines ? And Jake Murphy, Joseph Smith, and others of the LDS faith are only there because of BYU ?
    What ?
    To qouote the Duhkunter... " ROFL LOL LOL "

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    May 16, 2011 12:17 p.m.

BYU fans are silly. Delusional, but silly nonetheless.

Looking forward to an interesting season. Hopefully the Utes don't have too many growing pains with the most difficult schedule any football team in this state has ever faced.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:21 p.m.

Riverton cougar,

Your comment: BYU is in a better situation because most of their hard games are up front and BYU tends to do well in the first few weeks of the season (at least the first two weeks; fortunately the week 3 opponent this year won't embarass BYU like the past couple of years).

Go back and look at Bronco's track record of early season games as a head coach at Byu. Other than 08 when he has the easiest schedule ever to start a year off, Bronco & the cougars have had the majoirty of their losses at the beginning of the year. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Byu would lose at least 3 of their first 6 games. Looking at the past, which is what people do to predict the future, I would be willing to predict and bet on this happening. Once Bronco has a decent opening schedule (which he does this year for sure) and wins all of those games, then and only then we might be able to say that Byu does not lose early.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:26 p.m.

hedgie

Break out the dramamine because you're going to need it after all of your spinning today.

The Utes need the BYU-Utah game just as much as BYU; how else are trolls like you going to prove which team is better, especially when BYU is finishing with 11-2 records and ranked in the Top 25, and Utah is finishing with 8-5 records and unranked?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 16, 2011 12:35 p.m.

I think Utah is going to have a lot of "trap" games in the PAC12. This will be far and away the toughest schedule they will have played to date. You think Arizona and ASU are easy? Hmmm. They 're not.

Washington? Licking my chops. OSU? Cal? All trap games.

I'll frankly be surprised if Utah is bowl eligible in 2011. Go ahead and surprise me.

BYU? We'll, I'm betting on 10-2, because someone will screw up somewhere and BYU will lose a game or two they should have won. Texas and Oregon State look tough to me. TCU will be OK but not great - they lost everybody last year.

And YES! I will be in Oxford MS and probably Dallas. Go Cougs. Independence will be fun.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:39 p.m.

TrueBlue;
    With wins over such powerhouses as New Mexico State and Idaho ? Seven out of twelve games at home ? And who doesn't think that Bronco helped schedule Hawaii in the islands so that after the game he sends the team home and surfs a few weeks ? With all of the patsies on the schedule and the games at RES I agree, BYU might have a winning record for 2011.. maybe not 11-2 but more like 9-4 or even 8-5 if Heaps gets hurt. Who knows ? We have the next 6 months to let the teams sort it all out.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:52 p.m.

Yup Duckhunter,

We need those games, and to be on national TV to get those recruuits. We had not even played a Pac 12 game yet, and we got 2 top LDS recruits from your own back yard that you were going after, and another from Bingham. Seems to me like being on national TV, and playing those games against you does not matter. Just having the Pac 12 name associated with the UTES is all we need.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Careful Ducky...You're treading on hallowed ground. Some of us have split loyaty families and nothing is more pleasing than to have the bragging rights for a whole year expecially on the upcoming game day as well as Thanksgiving...Christmas...and New Years when the family gets together.There is nothing like Tradition...and there is nothing more dastardly than breaking Traditions. That's why BYU's 1984 National National Championship is so vexing to not only utey's but to the entire College Football world. The 1984 NC broke the two biggest and longgest standing College Football Traditions of all time. No school before or since has done what BYU did when they won a National Championship not on New Years day in a bowl that was not a Hallowed Shrine of College Football...and noone ever will again. We are the Original and we are the only True Bowl Busters. We are also the impetus for College Football to have to break with the longest standing traditions of College football.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Bluehusky,

What has Byu done and gained to make you think that you will win at least 10 games this season? Heaps is 1 year more experienced, but that is about it. You guys didnt gain that much in the land of recruits that will come and help you out. Your awesome receivers drop every ball that comes their way. Heaps may be1 year better, but still cannot throw a touch pass to save his life. You have a good O line, but your D will still get lit up like a christmas tree against teams with speed. Which 4 of your first 5 to 6 teams will have. It the kewgs have 10 wins at the end of the season, I will be the 1st to say I was wrong. However, with the early schedule Byu has, and their lack of depth, I am sure that Byu will not have more than 8 wins.

• donburi Oceanside, CA
    May 16, 2011 1:17 p.m.

My prediction:
    That none of the above predictions will come true.

The only reason these magazines make predictions is to sell magazines. Even they know there's not much chance that they are right.

Compare pre-season and post-season rankings for the past few years. They're not even close.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 16, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Sporting News? Just another conspiracy group trying to keep down BYU.

The real question is will BYU have more than 1 victory over a team with a winning record this year?

Ole Miss, awful. Texas, coming off 4-8 right? TCU, talented but breaking in a new QB for the first time in 4 years. Utah, doormats of the Pac-12 right Cougar fans?

Talk about an easy schedule. I'm anticipating to purchase my "Quest For Perfection 2011" T-Shirt anyday now.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    May 16, 2011 1:32 p.m.

BYU 6-5 to the Armed Forces Bowl vs East Carolina
    Utah 7-4 to the Sun Bowl vs Syracuse

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2011 1:42 p.m.

byu could totally win the national title this year and make Utah look really bad in doing it.
    We'll probably be better than any bcs team.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    May 16, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Papa Smurf UTE

"What has BYU done and gained?"

Your analysis is so far off-base it's laughable. Obviously, you're simply shooting from the hip without a clue what you're talking about.

Not only is Jake one year more experienced, the whole BYU team is one year more experienced - 10 of 11 starters, plus redshirt Ross Apo, are back on offense, plus 8 of 11 starters on defense.

With a coach famous for NEVER dropping passes coaching the wide receivers, BYU receivers will rarily drop a catchable pass. BYU is very deep at every position, even at their historically thinnest position, defensive back.

10 regular season wins is very possible and a one-loss or undefeated season is not out of the realm of possibility.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    May 16, 2011 2:20 p.m.

williary

You'd better hope that BYU's schedule isn't nearly as easy as you're cluelessly predicting, or a very good BYU team team will be a lock for an undefeated season and the whiney BYU haters who troll the DN blogs will be full panic mode.

The big question for Utah fans should be "Will Utah have a quarterback this year?"

Utah fans seem to have an unrealistic amount of confidence in an undersized, timid quarterback who was dreadful in every big game he played in last season and who may or may not fully recover from season-ending shoulder surgery.

• Bigtimecoug Houston, TX
    May 16, 2011 2:23 p.m.

So, who wrote the article on the PAC 12 south? Whoever it was obviously didn't witness Utah crash and burn at the end of last season. Do they really believe Norm Chow will make a difference? And they think Utah is going to beat USC in the Coliseum in week 2? Even if I were a Utah fan, I'd have to admit it's all very delusional.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 16, 2011 2:52 p.m.

@TheSportsUnauthority

Please breakdown BYU's schedule and talk about how difficult it is. On paper, has some names. Names that are really, really struggling. Ole Miss is absolutly terrible. Texas is in a mess after last year, and replacing all coordinators. TCU replacing Dalton, and how many other draftees? Utah, well Utah has no quarterback as you say, and will never win a Pac-12 game from what I'm reading on these sites from Cougar fans.

Those are the 4 non-WAC games this year for BYU aren't they. Oh yeah, South Florida?

Where is the difficulty in that schedule? Outside of TCU, Utah and South Florida, any teams with winning records from last year? And two of those at home, one on a neutral field.

Care to differ?

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2011 3:03 p.m.

True Blue,

I am not shooting from the hip when I say that Bronco coached teams lose games early in the season, even when the have 11-2 seasons. A coach helps, but that is not going to make the receivers not drop balls. Your receivers coach is known for perfectly run routes,& this should get them more open, but it will not help them with the YIPS of dropping balls. Your team does have one more year of experience, when that winning experience is against lesser teams, without a win against a team well over .500, that 1 more year of experience will not hlep as much as you think. Also, you lost the best DB/Safety last year that Byu has ever had. Losing him will cost Byu more than losing 3 or 4 starters from the D line, & linebackers. Filling in and plugging holes on the D line & the LB position is a ton easier than the DB/Saftey spots. If you dont believe me, go as Whit and Bronco. the future maybe bright for Byu, but this year there will still be a huge learning curve for Heaps, & the rest of the team.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Bigtiemcoug,

I am sure that the writer did do his due diligence when he wrote this article. I am certain that he watched as Utah fell apart against TCU, had no heart against Notre Dame, saw as they barely beat SDSU, and Ybu, then had no offense with a backup QB in the bowl game. They are basing it off the fact that USC cannot win the Pac 12 South, (unless their appeal goes through), that ASU always falls apart, that AZ fell apart much worse than the UTES did at the end of the year, and UCLA and CO are pathetic. I for one am a UTE fan that does not think that we will win the Pac 12 South our 1st year, andmaybe even the 2nd year until we get some more Pac 12 players, or we have some lucky breaks. I believe in coach Whit, but the lack of depth we have at QB, questions at RB, & some big spots to fill in the defensive backfield, I think that the UTES will win between 7-9 games. If they dont have injuries, & get on a roll, who knows. I am hoping for the best.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2011 3:11 p.m.

@failstorm

Oh there will always be players like Jake Murphy that couldn't cut it at BYU and will wind up at utah. Congrats on that. I don't have a clue who Jo Smith is, must have been a big time "get" for utah. I'm sure he'll do great things for them.

But I'm perfectly serious about utah needing that game more than BYU ever does. Sure BYU can use the schedule filler, being independent does make scheduling more of a challenge, but as far as needing the game for bigger meanings, well it is utah that needs it.

The majority of the LDS athletes grow up dreaming about playing for BYU. No one, I repeat, NO ONE, grows up dreaming about playing for utah. For utah to get those athletes they have to beat BYU and they have to be at the top of the pac regularly. Since the latter is not going to be the case their best bet is to schedule and beat BYU. Good luck with that.

All BYU has to do to get those Athletes is win games. It doesn't matter who they play. They don't need utah.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 3:32 p.m.

"Oh there will always be players like Jake Murphy that couldn't cut it at BYU"

Ducky,

NationalChamps
    #13 TCU
    #24 Texas

Athlon
    #15 TCU
    #24 Texas

Why don't you explain why your analysis differs so drastically from that of the "experts"?

And while you're at it, go ahead and identify the two Top 25 road games on Utah's schedule.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Sports Authority
    The big question will be..Will Utah have any fans other than BYU hybids who follow both teams at their away games???...who else have they got out there that they can draw...there just isn't that many true dyed in the wool uteys spread across this country. Not like BYU has.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 16, 2011 3:46 p.m.

@Duckhunter

USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Washington. (Teams Utah will play in RES every other year...forever.)

Yeah, Utah needs BYU on the schedule. (Sarcasm off)

Central Florida, Utah State, San Jose State, Idaho State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Hawaii, Oregon State. (Teams BYU is scheduled to play at LES the next 2 seasons.)

Yes, BYU ABSOLUTLY needs Utah on their schedule, especially at home.

Pac-12 vs. Independent.

Yes, BYU needs Utah on their schedule. They will need all the BCS teams they can find.

Harvey Langi, Ricky Heimuli, Xavier Suofilo, John Martinez.

Recent top players in Utah (ESPN rankings), who are LDS, who all went to a Pac-12 school instead of BYU.

Yes, BYU ABSOLUTLY needs to beat Utah to continue even being in the conversation with these types of kids.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 16, 2011 3:50 p.m.

@Truth Machine

Can you identify the last season when Texas was not ranked in the top 15 to start a season? Weren't they top 5 before last seasons 4-8 debacle?

The fact that they are in the low 20's shows what a "mess" they are, in Texas standards.

Is the TCU game on TCU's home field? Sorry, not a road game.

Are you really going to try and say a team with 6 WAC games has a more difficult schedule than Utah?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Big TimeCoug
    Don't underestimate Chow's ability... fortunately for BYU this year the team is transitioning to him and not vice versa... so with his multitude of complex plays it's going to take a year or two for the utes to adjust... and Jordan Wynn is going to need a lot of protection bigger than what they have now. ...Even Kyle has to be cognizant of that impact picture despite playing on the Defense while Norm was at the Y. Knuheisel idiotically kept the Chow Genie in the bottle and never let him out at UCLA. By the time Utah gets going full speed in about two years Sarkesian will also have a much improved Huskie team going at Washington. USC may find themselves left in the dust. I think a resurgence of the old PAC will be coming back in a couple of years... but the SEC will still be the top dog.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Duckhunter,

"BYU does not need to play utah to keep getting their recruits, those guys will come anyway. I wouldn't mind ending this charity game to utah." LOL.

I don't think the annual rivalry game is a charity game for either side. It's played because it's a rivalry that goes back long before money or exposure or TV deals or recruiting had anything to do with college sports. I'd like to see it continue for the sake of tradition.

If you think the game has become ho hum you must be a fair weather fan with no sense of tradition and history. Some of the greatest drama in college sports has been seen in that game over the years and for the past 15 years or so it has been impossible to pick the winner before the game.

LDS recruits? Around 50% of our team is LDS. I think that's pretty good.

Middle of the road PAC-12, I don't think so. Of course I wouldn't expect any different opinion from you. Fortunately there are plenty of objective observers putting the Utes much higher than that.

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Mormon Ute,
    If the rivalry game was that important to the U, why didn't Pres Young, and Dr Hill insist that the game be played in November like it has been for the past 65 years, rather than just agreeing to everything the PAC-12 wanted them to, including the new pact that states that all non-conference games be played by Oct 1st, except for Notre Dame vs USC. USC wouldn't sign it. But Utah is a sell-out program. Always has been and always will be. If the rivalry were about tradition then Utah would have demanded that their new beloved conference, that wanted them soo soo much, let them play their traditional rival at the traditional time. But Utah sold that tradition to the PAC. I say that BYU drops Utah from their schedule. We need tougher competition anyway. Maybe we could add SUU, they're ranked #17 in the FCS, that's about where Utah will finish this year.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 16, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Ducky
    Sorry buddy but I have to agree with Mormon Ute on this one... Like I said earlier... you're treading hallow ground that was laid long before you came around. Go read what I told you earlier about Tradition...then come back to the table with a little more respect... there's a lot of reason for the heat of the rivalry and 1984 is just a small part of it. Both Whittingham and Chow are another aspect as well...both still highly respecteed by older BYU fans who still appreciate thier contributtions to the Cougars. We don't just turn and give ground...but we don't stab in the back either. Utey's and Zoobies might do that... but the true dyed in the wools don't. The Rivalry needs to be maintained regardless of what zoobies and utey's think. That's the Taditional way to look at it.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 16, 2011 4:48 p.m.

TCU will be tough again this year. The only two teams of consequence they play are BYU and Boise State. If they get by those two, they will be a BCS buster for the third year in a row. I give a slight edge to TCU since the game is in Texas, but I'm hoping for a couple of breaks and a BYU win.

Anyone predicting University of Texas "is in a mess", doesn't know Texas football. See their record since the turn of the century below. They've had a winning season in 105 out of 117 seasons. Their last losing season was 1997. They will be back to their winning ways again this year. I'm just hoping one of their loses will be to the team in blue.

TEXAS RECORD
    2001 11-2
    2002 11-2
    2003 10-3
    2004 11-1
    2005 13-0
    2006 10-3
    2007 10-3
    2008 12-1
    2009 13-1

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 16, 2011 5:00 p.m.

I don't feel like we should be playing Utah. What does it benefit us? If we loose I have to hear my cousins talk about how they beat this year. If we win, it's not like we'll get anything from it. We're already getting the best LDS recruits. Why do we need to beat the Utesies to show the recruits to come to BYU?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2011 5:23 p.m.

williary | 3:46 p.m. May 16, 2011
    Kearns, UT
    @Duckhunter

====

So please join Hedge in the letter writing to Dr. Hill....

So the Utes don't get to play on National TV. No biggie, they can play regional. And, if they go undefeated (2008), the BCS will get them in the game for the crystal trophy?

It will take a few years of winning the PAC before Utah gets a shot at the title. The BCS is as honest as boxing.

Is Dr. Hill stupid in scheduling the one team he knows that will get his team exposure?

You kids answer that question.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    May 16, 2011 6:08 p.m.

williary

You must be dizzy from all of that spinning.

You consider a road game against a ranked team a pushover because Texas isn't quite up to "Texas standards".

You don't consider TCU a road game because they have to travel a whole 19 miles from TCU's home stadium, while BYU has to travel over 1200 miles?

You consider a road game against an SEC team a pushover, and yet you probably expect us to believe that Utah's road games at Pitt, at USC, at California and at Arizona are going to be tough games.

I noticed you passed on the challenge to name the two ranked road opponents on Utah's schedule.

The reality is Utah has ZERO ranked road opponents. In fact, Utah's only ranked opponent, Arizona State, is ranked about the same as Texas, and Utah plays the Sun Devils at home.

No, BYU's overall schedule isn't tougher than Utah's overall schedule, but BYU's toughest opponents are easily better than Utah's toughest opponents.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 16, 2011 6:12 p.m.

williary | 3:46 p.m. May 16, 2011
    Kearns, UT
    @Duckhunter

====

So please join Hedge in the letter writing to Dr. Hill....

You kids answer that question.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 16, 2011 6:25 p.m.

Texas will not be 5th in the Big 12-2. Behind OK they will be in the mix with A&M, and probably ahead of OK St. Ole MS is always difficult as they have a decent defense. TCU will reload and have the kinks worked out by the time they play BYU.

Utah should be a toss up with AZ St for the South. I said that a month ago. That is not because Utah is good it is because the South is WEAK and USC can't play post season. USC may have lost some depth but they still have a lot of talent and pride. Losing to Utah is not on thier agenda.

If Utah has problems with MT St it will be a long season.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 16, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Sorry, I don't usually make multiple posts on an article, but there is so little sports news right now, I feel compelled to make one more point. (Way too much time on my hands.)

After reading the article one more time, and looking at the "experts" results from last year I think my analysis is probably just as accurate as the experts. I crunched a bunch of data, and came up with some interesting results.

I've listed below my best estimate of BYU's probability of achieving a specific record along with my best estimate of BYU's probability of beating each of their opponents. Let me know what you think, if you're not from Ann Arbor.

12-0 7%

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:03 p.m.

Uh little willi

Exactly one of those players went to utah. One. Nice try but fail. LOL

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 8:05 p.m.

"I crunched a bunch of data, and came up with some interesting results."

LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Stocky I really don't care if you think you are a real fan and I'm not. I've been around awhile myself, attended my 1st game in the late 60's, so don't try to pretend you somehow have a corner on tradition.

The fact is times change and scheduling utah every year is going to be a pain because their conference dictates they can only play in September. One of the main attractions of independence to me is the opportunity to play a variety of teams from around the country and if we lock ourselves in to playing utah in September every year it is going to be at the expense of playing another school that we maybe haven't had the chance to play yet.

I'm a forward thinker, and while I wouldn't mind playing utah occasionally I don't need to play them every year to satisfy some nostalgic yearning. I say we put them on a once every 3rd year rotation along with usu. Play one of them one year, one of them the next year and neither of them the 3rd year. I really wouldn't miss them at all.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah

TCU - 0%

Idaho - 0%

New Mexico State - 0%

Hawai'i - 0%

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    May 16, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas "Take your check and run to the bank. That is what the PAC has given the Utes a check, U still need respect."

Respect, I think being ranked in various top 25 preseason polls despite a rough end 2010 shows a lot of respect for Utah. More than few publications and websites have Utah winning their division in their first year in the PAC 12; again respect. Not mention being the only team called up from the Mid-Majors to an AQ conference that isn't the Big Least. I would say over the last 10 years Utah has done far more to garner respect than the Y and has subsequently been rewarded for it.

BTW I loved how you called me out on BYU thread even though I don't post on them; unlike you on Utah treads; classic.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    May 16, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Last year I thought "reloaded" BYU would go 9-3 (@FSU, @TCU, @Utah) ... 7-6.
    Last year I thought Utah would go 10-2 (Pitt/TCU and @ND) ... 10-3

This year...

BYU
    Questions:
    1) Still has to prove that they can beat an above .500 team on the road
    2) Heaps still has to show that he can score 2+ TDs against such teams
    Prediction: 7-4 (@Ol' Miss, @Texas, @OSU, TCU)

Utah
    Questions:
    1) Defense was disappointing down the stretch (especially the secondary)
    2) Wynne looked horrible
    Prediction: 8-3 (@USC, @Cal, @Pitt)

Utah vs BYU???

As of today BYU has the slight edge playing @LES and Utah playing some horrible football since 2007.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Duhkunter;
    " I'm a forward thinker "
    As long as everything is BYU .

Forward think this..
    What if Heaps get's injured who goes in the game ?
    Munns,Nelson,Lark ?
    Who is the go to guy or the second string qb ?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 16, 2011 11:53 p.m.

CougFaninTX, you're asking for feedback, so here's mine:

First, I'm curious why you have BYU at only 61% to beat Oregon State and but 69% beating Utah. Aside from the odd percentages for which you give no data to support, do you know that Jaquizz is now in the NFL? Perhaps your confidence in BYU's road efforts is enough to question them beating a team that is picked to finish fairly low in the Pac-12?

Second, you're bell curve isn't bad, but it clearly shows Cougar bias. I'd say there's similar odds BYU would finish 6-6 as to 12-0.

Finally, as bad as Idaho might seem, to equate them to Idaho State, a team that went 1-11 in FCS last year, is a little extreme.

Earlier I noticed you forgot to include the record for Texas' most recent season, 2010, in which they went 5-7, including bad home losses to Iowa State and UCLA. If they are predicted 5th in the Big-XII, it's for a reason. Still a quality team for BYU to play, but let's not pretend this is Bama or Auburn.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    May 17, 2011 12:42 a.m.

@duckhunter

I totally agree with you on the frequency of future byu vs. Utah games. Each school has a new direction and the rivalry will never be the same.

Utah now has a new rival within their new conference. Colorado will now be our primary rival. There will always be somewhat of a rivalry with byu and Utah State but not like before. As the programs go their seperate ways the rivalry will weaken. Based on the trash talking, jealously and chest pounding on these posts, it's probably for the best.

byu will have the opportunity to play a many new programs but will have a more difficult time in identifying a natural rival being independent.

Best of luck to both programs.

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    May 17, 2011 1:53 a.m.

im still dumbfounded that ute fans think that they deserve to be the the top 25 after last year with bad losses to tcu, notre dame and boise then close wins against SDSU AF and the game they should of lost BYU. if you get into the preseason top 25 its only because your in the pac.

utes fan which is better, every other year when you dont play stanford and oregon and your going 7-5 to the vegas bowl or 6-6 to the poinsettia bowl which are the same bowls you were going to in the mwc. Or attempting to go undefeated for the bcs, losing a game and still playing in the vegas or poinsettia bowls......None.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 17, 2011 2:22 a.m.

The over-reach of the day goes to Duckhunter, who says "No one, I repeat, NO ONE, grows up dreaming about playing for utah."

Yeah, I'm sure that never, I repeat NEVER happens.

Hey, wait a minute, I grew up dreaming of playing for Utah!

CougFaninTX,

I think you're suggestion is pretty good, other than I believe you are underestimating how tough it will be for BYU to get a win in Mississippi. I would guess that the Cougars will lose 3 games this year - hopefully one to my Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 17, 2011 6:59 a.m.

@Hailstoned

"Forward think this..
    What if Heaps get's injured who goes in the game ?
    Munns,Nelson,Lark ?
    Who is the go to guy or the second string qb ?"

This is way too funny and I can't resist, oh the irony!

Spin this...

Wynn is not 100% and trying to come back,
    what if he get's injured, who goes in the game?

Do the Utes have second string QBs?
    Last report from Spring camp was that they were... uh, throwing nothing in Red/White game.
    Can anyone remember their names?

I think what's so funny is that U already know the names of the BYU backup QBs, as many do.

Thanks for noticing! LOL!

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:56 a.m.

MidMajorMentality4Ever even in a major conference

"Utah now has a new rival within their new conference. Colorado will now be our primary rival."

Colorado will simply be a traveling partner for Utah. The fact that Utah fans continue to spam every BYU article is proof positive that BYU is, and always will be, Utah's only true rival.

Everything Utah accomplishes will constantly be compared with BYU's accomplishments.

There won't be any more Utah fans traveling to Boulder to see the Utes play the Buffaloes, than used to travel to Laramie or Fort Collins.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:18 a.m.

"Wynn is not 100% and trying to come back, what if he get's injured, who goes in the game?"

It would take a minor miracle for Wynn to play an entire season in the PAC 12 without getting injured, he's too fragile, and it remains to be seen whether he'll even make a full recovery physically and mentally.

Even if Wynn's healthy, Chow's offense relies on precise timing and reads. Will Wynn really be prepared to run Chow's offense with less than a month to prepare for USC and BYU?

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:20 a.m.

@Swoop

Colorado will evolve into Utah's natural rival as byu becomes less and less important to the Utes. byu and Utah are headed in different directions. Sure jealous byu fans will cling to every move big BCS brother makes, that's a natural reaction.

Name one major rivalry between a BCS school and a mid major.... Over the next few years we will see the once great rivalry fade to past memories.

FYI, this isn't a byu article. I for one have never responded to a byu article, news about your mid major school isn't a concern to me. I wish you the best in your independent future.

• CG Orem, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:50 a.m.

MidMajor4ever delusionist

"Name one major rivalry between a BCS school and a mid major...."

Colorado - Colorado State

BYU will always be Utah's only rival because the kids on the hill are obsessed with comparing everything they do with their big brother down south.

In fact, a significant portion of Utah's fan base is made up of fans who are more BYU haters than they are Utah fans.

It might change for a few wishy-washy Utah fans, but the vast majority of Utah fans will always consider BYU as Utah's rival.

Here's test. How many Utah fans could name Colorado's starting QB? Be honest, could you MidMajor?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:56 a.m.

@utah'95

Of course we were discussing actual athletes here, not dreamers who simply wished they could play.

@failstorm

Whichever one of them the coaches think best for the job. When you have that many qb's of that quality sitting on your bench it would be pretty hard to make a wrong decision. Any of those qb's would be the hands down starter at utah so I think BYU will be just fine in that scenario.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:20 a.m.

That is what I thought.....Hedgehog and ChrisB are employed by the sporting news. :)

I'm actually a college football expert and I can't see any way the Utes end this year over .500. Ute fans will be calling for Chow's resignation by the eighth game of the year, attendance will average 20-25k/game and Utah's game vs. BYU will be their only nationally televised contest this year. Mark it down.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:03 a.m.

BYU Deek,

When you're the new kid on the block you don't have a lot of leverage. It's really that simple. You sound like you've got a mouthful of sour grapes from not getting invited to the PAC-12.

As far as the Utes ranking goes, it looks like the Utes are one of BYU's highest ranked opponents in the polls that have come out so far. People with a higher football IQ than yours are giving our team some decent respect.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Duckhunter,

I sent your suggestion on to Chris Hill and Tom Holmoe for their consideration.

Seriously though, I think you are in the minority of fans from both teams. However, the non-conference scheduling restrictions on the PAC-12 schools will make it difficult. Especially if other conferences follow suit and put similar restrictions on their teams. That is going to limit BYU's options before October 1st and I can see why they'd be reluctant to plat one team every year given the limitations. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

One thing I think has been proven in all of this is that neither BYU or Utah are dependent upon each other to make it in college sports. There was a time when the two schools pushed each other to higher levels of performance and that competition has largely put each school in the position to do what they are doing. The challenges ahead, outside the rivalry, will be plenty to keep each school advancing and reaching new heights.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 17, 2011 11:45 a.m.

@CougarfaninTexas
    Your assessment looks pretty good... but Patterson lost one or two of his assistants and a couple of key linemen besides their qb A. Dalton...and I'm sure with Doman running BYU's offense and not "5 and out" Robert Anae...our offense will be the more productive when we play TCU in Dallas Stadium. If there is anything in question it will be who has the better defense...and BYU's hasn't looked as good as they are right now for quite some time...especially depth wise in the backfield. I rank that game with the Cougars getting a slight edge of 52%. I don't really see any red flags for anything less than a 10-2 season and if Ole Miss and Texas do stumble like some think they might... who's to say that we couldn't possibly wind up in a little bigger bowl than the Armed Forces Bowl. We're not totally obligation bound to play in that bowl and there's more than just an at large bid to one of the bcs bowls. We could get invited again to the Cottonbowl. I for wouldn't have a problemwiththat.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 17, 2011 12:32 p.m.

"who's to say that we couldn't possibly wind up in a little bigger bowl than the Armed Forces Bowl. We're not totally obligation bound to play in that bowl and there's more than just an at large bid to one of the bcs bowls. We could get invited again to the Cottonbowl. I for wouldn't have a problemwiththat"

Where's stockton,

Dude, slow your role. Beat USU first.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2011 12:55 p.m.

@Mormon Ute

I may be in the minority there but I don't think it is much of a minority. The truth is it has only been a football rivalry since the early 90's, for two decades before that the game was a virtually meaningless forgone conclusion. So for a good part of my adult life it has been pretty competitive but all of my life into my late 20's early 30's there was really not much to it. It was better in basketball during that time.

For most of my life, and lives of everyone else in their 30's,40's and 50's, there really wasn't much about it that was competitive so people claiming it has all this nostalgic meaning I just don't get. It has meant more the last 15 years than for the 1st 30 years of my life.

In those 15 years there has absolutely been some fantastic games, I can't deny it. It is pretty much dead even during that time and the games have mostly been right down to the wire.

There are things I would miss but overall I can live without it.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 17, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Hedgie

Pretend you're a gopher and go play Caddyshack with Bill Murry. BYU will be just fine..and I can more than take my lumps if and when they come. I don't have the gloomy doomy outlook of Winnie the pooh's little donkey buddy Eyeore like you do...so you go back to your so called successful pronostications that you were weekly doing during Jimmers run...and say hi to Chrissy B. the next time you're at work.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 17, 2011 1:38 p.m.

MiP,

The reason I have Oregon State at 61% and Utah at 69% is 1.) Utah is a home game and OSU is an away game and 2.) Utah's back-up quarterback situation is a dire situation and I tried to calculate the probability that a school would need their back-up quarterback. Given Wynn's propensity for injury and uncertainty of his comeback, I calculated a greater probability of Utah using their back-up quarterback.

I know that Jaquizz is gone, but I rated both Utah and Oregon State low for the running back position. Utah may have more upside with Langi, but both schools are unproven at this position.

And carrying the decimal point gives Idaho 99.1% and Idaho State 99.8%.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 17, 2011 2:37 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

Tell us about how you came up with these calculations. I'd like to think that you've assigned percentages based on science and empirical evidence, but right now it comes across as some dude wearing blue goggles handing out treats to kids in front of Target.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:37 p.m.

RE Hedgehog at 7:34 (2nd posting):

The only real troll I know is you. So are you predicting that your team, Utah, will be the doormat of the PAC-12?

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    May 17, 2011 3:56 p.m.

@ CG

Colorado - Colorado State

Colorado - Colorado State is not a major rivalry. CU fans could careless about playing CSU. Colorado State needs an AQ team such as CU on their schedule. CU doen't need CSU. The main rivalry for both those schools are: Colorado State vs Wyoming and Colorado vs Nebraska. The Nebraska - Colorado Rivalry developed when both schools joined the Big 12 in the mid 1990's.

Utah will develop a new rivalry with Colorado as new PAC-12 members. It can become heated, and will take some time to develope! By the way, Utah's major rival up until the 1970's was not byu, It was Colorado! That rivalry was heated and almost evenly matched. byu didn't become a major rival with Utah until Lavell Edwards took over your program where byu had their dominance over Utah for 20 years, Before then byu was just another win for the Utes! Utah still dominates the rivalry by 20 games and are still the Older Brother to byu.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 17, 2011 4:11 p.m.

@DevilishUte
    How did you know what color my goggles were?

As you know, football is not a science. The game is played on the field.

However, I've tried to be as scientific as possible. My friend and I developed a program that we use mostly for fantasy football. I've modified the program to try and predict game outcomes based on fourteen weighted criteria. (I recognize there are really more criteria than this.) The criteria are input on a scale of 1 to 5, with 3 being average. I'm sure my ratings would be different than yours.

The criteria are QB, probability of QB missing games, back-up QB, RB, WR, Offensive Line, Special Teams, Defensive Line, LB, DB, Coaches, Home Field, Last Years results, Expert's Opinion.

I won't go through them all, but here's an example - I listed BYU's QB as 4, probability of missing games at 30%, and back-up QB as 3 (compared to other back-ups, not other starters).

I listed Utah's QB as 3, probability of missing games at 60%, and back-up QB as 2.

The program magically spits out the results when the schools are compared.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Alterego,

There is no way that you are a college football expert. I would love to see anything that you have ever written, or done to prove that you are. You are just a jealous little Y fan, who is upset at the fact that the UTES are in a BCS conference now, and the Y went independent. Independence is nice, but it is not the same thing as being in a big time conference. Byu maybe the UTES only national televised game, but there will not be anywhere near only 20K in the stadium for any game this season, no matter how good or bad the UTES are. Also, no matter if we are 12-0, all UTE fans still call for the OC's head. It is what fans do. We did it to Versteeg, Schram, Roderick, Ludwig, etc. So predicting that is like predicting that the sun will come up tomorrow, & the day after that. I dont believe that the UTES will win the Pac 12 South. Can they, sure. They could also be 2-10. Most of the experts, which your not have the UTES at 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:49 p.m.

@bleeding

Utah hasn't played Colorado in football since 1961 so trying to stretch it into the 70's is about a decade to long. Also utah and colorado were not rivals in the sense BYU and utah have been at any time although they did play regularly. USU was a bigger rival for utah than colorado ever was.

But who knows, maybe colorado will become utahs rival, I doubt it but maybe. Rivalries are developed because of on field competition not because of the desire of some conference commish for it to be so. Considering utah will probably be middle of the pac and colorado will probably be bottom of the pac for a good long time and their game will basicly mean nothing I really don't see a rivalry developing there.

More likely is utah will start considering the schools that work them over all of the time, like USC, their rivals, just like every single school in the MWC considered BYU their main rival because BYU dominated them in just about every sport. There is nothing about utah/colorado geographically, culturally, or competitively to form a rivalry from. It is just wishful thinking by larry scott.

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    May 17, 2011 6:24 p.m.

Bleed Crimson

Colorado - CSU may not be a "major" rivalry, but CSU will always be a bigger rival for the Buffaloes than Utah.

Utah fans still spamming BYU articles almost a year after Utah "supposedly" left BYU in their dust is proof that Utah fans are still, and always will be, obsessed with BYU.

There isn't a single Utah fan on this blog who's been to a Colorado blog in the last year to talk smack with Colorado fans; more proof that Colorado won't be anything more than a travel partner for Utah, no bigger a rival than any other PAC 12 conference opponent.

When hedgehog, Chris B, Uteology, Pebbles, and all the other BYU-obsessed Utah fans completely stop posting on BYU articles, then we'll believe that BYU is no longer Utah's rival.

Since we all know that will NEVER happen, U can stop with all of your silly pretenses.

• Nebraskacoug1968 Gering, NE
    May 17, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Can't wait to see how BYU and Utah both do this year! I certainly hope my cougs do well as independents and I wish Utah only the best of luck in the PAC 12. GO COUGS!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:33 a.m.

We see alot of Utes posting how important pre-season rankings are now.

Funny, Pitt and Michigan both ranked Top 5 preseason in '84 and they are disregarded because they did not finish there.

Which is it Utes? Pre-season or where you finish.

We all know where BYU stands vs Utah in Top 25 finishes, don't we?

It's not where you start, but where you finish, ask
    Auburn.

When Utah has it's 4th loss by mid-October, bye bye Top 25 finish.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:46 a.m.

byu116970,

Who cares how you get into the polls. The fact is that the higher you start, the better chance you have of qualifying for a great bowl bid. So many BYU fans have pointed out that BYU's National Title was made possible by their ranking to start the season. So we're just excited for the possibilities. We are all well aware that the team has to do well to take advantage of it.

• scott Alpine, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Preseason rankings are the bane of major college football.

Even though they "don't mean anything", they do establish a pecking order of contenders that makes it difficult for a lower- or un-ranked team to pass a high-ranked team as long as both teams keep winning.

Another good reason for a playoff. Why should one team's 0-0 record be "ranked" higher than another team's 0-0 record?

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Mormon Ute

"So many BYU fans have pointed out that BYU's National Title was made possible by their ranking to start the season."

Actually BYU 1984 was unranked in the preseason Top 20 polls, but it was BYU's 1983 #7 finish that gave BYU the credibility to vault back into the Top 10 after beating preseason #3 Pittsburgh.

BYU 1984 - unranked preseason; ranked #8 by week two of the rankings.

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 25, 2011 1:11 p.m.

Bragging about BYU claiming a NC in 1984, while "busting,"all these college football traditions is not doing the 84 cougs any favors. It's interesting that you would even bring it up. That is why the world of college football thinks is was total bs and Washington has the legitimate banner hanging in their stadium.

Mentioning it's the only NC claim without playing after new years, omits two other HUGE stats:
    1. only NC claim where the team did not beat a RANKED opponent in a bowl game
    2. only NC claim where the team did not beat one RANKED opponent all year, Opp. winning percentage 0.47 Look it up!!

It makes the 2008 Utah 13-0 team, the only undefeated in the nation, who beat 4 top 25 teams (2 top 10) in the FINAL polls (stat was best in nation tied with Florida), FACTUALLY, UNDISPUTEDLY, a WILDLY more legitimate NC team than the 84 cougs could ever dream of. I guess Hawaii deserved the NC in 2006! If only they could have played a terrible bowl opponent in a terrible bowl, oh wait they played a couple ranked teams and a tougher schedule. LOL

• forreal people Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 25, 2011 1:20 p.m.

the only "rank" that counts to anyone after the season is over is post season final polls. BYU played and beat zero ranked teams in 1984 (record for a nc claim). The combined winning percentage of all of BYU's 1984 opponants was 0.47 (record for a nc claim). so the 84 cougs were way overated from the get go and way way overated at seasons end.

On the opposite end the under rated 2008 utes started unranked and ended at no. 2, beating four ranked teams (byu has never beat more than two ranked teams in a singe season). Two top 10 teams (byu has never done that either).

with the computer rankings involved now, it is a numerical fact that there is no possible way byu would have been ranked no. 1 or 2 with their opponents having a combined 0.47 winning percentage, so Utah, by far has the way way bigger accomplishment, it's not even close. There is no dispute, it's common sense, unless your a byu fan, who will have do defend agains these stats for life. Have fun with that!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 26, 2011 11:24 a.m.

@forreal people

It seems you are trying really, really hard to convince someone, anyone, of your "facts".

Keep trying.