Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette has a chance to impress NBA scouts

Comments

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Brit Johnson on 1320 said the same thing Jimmer's uncle says in this article. Brittle also said that Jimmer plays better Defense than people give him credit for.

Jimmer will surprise alot of teams at the combine.

• seer kaysville, ut
    May 15, 2011 12:32 a.m.

It's so nice to see our Utah boys exceed expectations. I like the fact that the media downplays their talent. It makes the coming out party all the better.

Show em what you got Jimmer!

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    May 15, 2011 12:37 a.m.

Fascinating article. Good background on the training that elite athletes need to progress to the next level. Jimmer seems to be highly motivated to keep getting better....

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    May 15, 2011 4:35 a.m.

Good luck Jimmer you're going to need it!!! Hope you learned how to play defense.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    May 15, 2011 5:37 a.m.

I don't think anyone who has watched The Jimmer play more than once can say he is not "athletic". He may surprise a few at the combine but I think most scouts understand that he is what he is... a scoring machine. And the best basketball player ever to come out of the state of Utah.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 6:29 a.m.

People everywhere... espeically know it alls like ESPN's Collin Cowherd... and his itsy bitsy buddy Hedgie up in Ann Arbor still don't realize Jimmer is actually very good on defense...but with Chris Collinsworth's season ending injury early in conference play... Rose started realizing that Jimmer had to be in the game for most of the 40 minutes and not sitting on the bench... So he purposfully started having Jimmer back off and keep him from drawing the defensive fouls. It became even more critical when Brandon Davies was suspended. His drawing double and triple coverage moving the ball down court was more than enough to offset his aggressive defensive style that... I'm sure even Jimmer himself had a really tough time holding back. His tough competitive nature is phenominal. If there is a way to beat you Jimmer Fredette is the type of talent that will find that key and will keep bringing it at you regardless of which direction the ball is going.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    May 15, 2011 6:36 a.m.

It's going to be fun to continue to watch Jimmer and see how his work ethic pays off. There is a lot more Jimmer to come.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    May 15, 2011 6:44 a.m.

It's all that time in Sunday School that helps him be so fast.

Go Jimmer! Jimmer them all at the combine!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 15, 2011 7:21 a.m.

" I like the fact that the media downplays their talent."

Seer,

Clearly your not talking about the Dnews.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    May 15, 2011 7:43 a.m.

Yet, someone who hasn't seen him, hasn't seen his workouts, doesn't understand him, or what he has accomplished is going to write an article that says that he is...

Too slow.
    Too short.
    Nonathletic.
    can't play defense.
    Imply that he is too white and pasty.
    That he is a Sunday school boy.

And the Ute trolls, who searched out the article will come back here and tell us why he won't succeed in the NBA.

We'll see.

My bets on Jimmer.

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:27 a.m.

someday MVP of the NBA. Go Jimmer. Which ever team drafts him is my favorite team.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:27 a.m.

I hope the naysayers take note. He's going to be a very good NBA player. Keep watching!

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Wherever he lands in the NBA will become my new favorite team.

• J.Newey Cedar Hills, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Defense, give me a break! Jimmer will do just fine. Like Barkley said "90% of the NBA players don't play Defense"

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:29 a.m.

If Jimmer ever plays, he'll have to guard guys like Derrick Rose, Deron Williams,Ray Allen, Aaron Brooks, Tony Parker, A.J. Mayo. I believe (in the right systems like Phoenix, NY or Denver) he will get a chance to play. Derrick Rose will make Jimmer looks silly. Jimmer has range and may get an opportunity. The best players will be chomping at the bit to make Jimmer look bad. Hopefully he'll be up for the challenge.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Honor Code you will be mighty surprise at his defensive skills. His teammates said in practice he was a great defender. Pay attention to what Where's Stockton said and go back and read what his coach said about defense. Please get a clue.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 15, 2011 9:46 a.m.

All Jimmer has to do to display he extraordinary talent is to show tapes of his performance against the Utees! Oh wait, they have no defense..well ok, nevermind! How about the tapes of his games against Gonzaga, SDSU and NM!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 15, 2011 10:01 a.m.

How Jimmer performs at the combine will be interesting, I too think he is more athletic than most people give him credit for. I hope he can perform at his best and give his best times in the quickness and speed areas.
    I'd love to see the Jazz take Jimmer, if they did it would be because they think he is the best player available and will help the team win, not because he has a big name coming out of college. Jimmer would bring to the Jazz something they very much need, great outside shooting. Defense is mostly determination and hard work if you have the athleticism and if Jimmer shows he has above avg. quickness and speed, defense is something he can improve on with hard work and his defense won't be the liability some think it is.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    May 15, 2011 10:51 a.m.

I am one huge Utah fan that loves Jimmer's game. I am very excited to see what he can do in the NBA. Best of luck to you Jimmer!

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    May 15, 2011 11:09 a.m.

RE: KamUte

"Derrick Rose will make Jimmer looks silly."

Have you ever seen Jimmer play? The Jimmer will make Derrick Rose look silly.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Re: Indiana Coug

The Jimmer won't make anyone look silly if he rarely plays. J.R. Smith is hot and cold Just like Jimmer. J.R. Is yanked when a stop is needed. Jimmer shot under 40% in college 3 pt range. That is a normal jump shot in the NBA.

Derrick Rose will run circles around Jimmer. Again Jimmer won't be playing much unless he goes to an up tempo team or Europe.

You will see. Lay off the blue koolaid at this point. Marriott Center has not produced any great NBA talent in the past 34 years.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 15, 2011 12:39 p.m.

I just hope and pray the Jazz don't feel pressured into taking this one dimensional player. If the do infact take the jimer the Jazz will forever be a bottom feeder team... and most likely dissolved or moved to another city.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 15, 2011 12:45 p.m.

@kamute

So the comparison you want to use to try and establish that Jimmer isn't very good is Derrik Rose? If I'm not mistaken he is the NBA MVP. So if the MVP of the NBA can "run circles around Jimmer" that proves exactly what? Once again it is just a guess on my part but the NBA MVP generally runs acircles around pretty much everyone else in the entire NBA doesn't he? Isn't that maybe the reason why he is the NBA MVP?

So what I get from your post is that if the list of guys like Rose, Williams, Parker, etc., that pretty much run circles around everyone in the league, including each other, runs circles around Jimmer then he is somehow inferior to them in some manner.

Boy that is sure enlightening.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 15, 2011 12:46 p.m.

The Jazz should take note. If he is good and he will draw fans, then there goes draft pick number 12. Enos Kanter should still be their number one priority. They should even trade up from six to get him. He is a "beast". The Jazz still need to "shake up' their team. They have a very good core of players and if Corbin steps up", they will be alright. The "tattoo man" now has to go. It appears that Harris has "gone into the tank". Favors is the "real deal". Someone really has to "earn their money" and evaluate the team. The status quo is no good.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    May 15, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@ hedgehog

It seems you posts are losing steam... or self-esteem.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 1:00 p.m.

@Hedgie
    Jimmer Fredette one dimenional?..That's right I forgot... Hedgehogs are myoptic. They only see things if they are very close and then sniff them over once or twice to identify what it is that's in front of them. That's why they get lost at night and have to wait for daylight to sniff out thier burrows. No wonder they were so easy to catch when I was in England. They just curled up to a little round spiney ball. Nothing was going to bite them with all those spines. That's also explains the one dimensional comments coming from the edge of the Great Black Swamp up there in Ann Arbor. Now things about you Hedgie sort of make sense.

• Laker-bandwagon Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Brit Johnson said what? Isn't he a former Ute?

How does a former Ute (who played the game) say all that, while these 9-5 garbage truck men ie: Kamute say he wont see the court...You been drinking too much haterade and its frothing out your mouth.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Whoever drafts Jimmer will get a two-fer. They'll get his production, plus increased production from everyone else on the floor.

NBA bodies are HUGE, and spacing is a real problem. Jimmer's range will open up the court for everyone else on it. No one will ever leave him to double team anyone else. He won't last that long, but can you imagine how much Orlando or Miami or LAL would like to have Jimmer?

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 1:31 p.m.

@duck hunter

If it weren't enlighting, you would not have commented. Right?

Guys that will run circles around the Jimmer: Carlos Arollo, John Lucas, DeMarre Carroll, Luke Walton, Marcus Banks, Lance Stefanson, A.J. Price, etc. Who? Exactly!

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    May 15, 2011 1:34 p.m.

I kinda actually hope he surprises me, but I think the balloon is about to be popped and it is going to be a long hard fall. Hope all you Provo fans are all around to catch him when it happens. The bubble bursting will be dramatic.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    May 15, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Mavs swept the Lakers.

Who unexpectedly "exposed" the lack of Laker defense, as well as just gave the Lakers fits?

J.J. Barea.

6 ft. 175 lbs.

Undrafted free agent, from Northeastern College, 4 yrs in the NBA, 26 years old.

Salary: $1,815,000.

Do the Mavs complain that J.J. can't play D?

Do the Mavs complain that J.J. gets paid too much?

Do the Mavs complain that J.J. is not relentless?

Do the Mavs complain that J.J. is not tough enough?

Will some team take a "chance" on Jimmer?

Who knows?

As draft day approaches, the ideas, that some team will be taking a big "chance" and/or will make a big mistake, by drafting Jimmer, are ideas that will be "exposed".

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    May 15, 2011 1:50 p.m.

RE: KamUte

"Jimmer shot under 40% in college 3 pt range. That is a normal jump shot in the NBA."

I again ask, have you ever seen The Jimmer play? His 40% 3 pt shooting was usually from NBA range and beyond. That's why that super long distance range is now considered "Jimmer range" by anyone who isn't a Ute.

You do make a few valid points. Yes, Derrick Rose will run circles around Jimmer... when he (Rose) is on offense. So will the other premiere guards in the league. As has been stated by others on this board, big deal. That's what NBA all-star caliber players do to anyone who is defending them. I think there is strong evidence that suggests Jimmer is more than capable of doing the same thing to them (ask Kevin Durrant about that). And yes, there hasn't been Jimmeresque talent in the Marriott in 34+ years. But that includes all of the Cougs opponents as well. Jimmer is the best player to ever play college ball in the state of Utah.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 15, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Ummmmm Kam Ute: Rose makes everyone look silly!! You are such a Utah fan. Try being a sports fan. It's better.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 15, 2011 2:16 p.m.

" Jimmer is the best player to ever play college ball in the state of Utah.'

Indianacoug,

For someone from Bloomington I would think you'd have a higher basketball IQ. But then again, your a Y fan... so that explains it.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Indiana Coug
    You'll just have to excuse old timers like me. Having graduated from the Y in 81...I'm still partial to Danny Ainge as the Best BB Player to ever come out of Utah despite the number of total field goal points, foul shot points or 3 point percentages. If Jimmer had Ainges agility and finess than there would be no question...hands down Jimmer would be. Ainge had something very special that I've never seen in anyone other than Jim McMahon. Both of them were the most savy players in their sport I've ever seen. When they talk about Ainge it's always the Notre Dame game in the NCAA's. But nobody even mentions his trip to the foul line against Notre Dame that only a couple posessions earlier actually set up his coast to coast drive for the winning basket. He drilled the first shot of a one and one and then took his time preparing for the second shot. He didn't shoot the second shot. Instead heintentionally ovehanded theball right at the rim of the basket wentup and got his own rebound and laid in for two points...a triple.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 15, 2011 2:54 p.m.

Good luck to Jimmer. I'd like to see him do well. Good kid.

As far as the best player to come out of Utah, you'd have to define what that entails. Is Jimmer a Golen Falls product or a state-of-Utah product? Andrew Bogut, Austrailian or Utahn. If you are to say it's any player to have played amateur basketball in this state, then Jimmer certainly would be in the Top-10. But the best? That will be debatable for quite some time...

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    May 15, 2011 3:01 p.m.

RE: hedgehog

"jimer is not the best player ever to play in utah...that honor goes to Andre Miller. I'd argue jimer isn't even the best BYU player."

I'd love to hear your argument.

RE: Where's Stockton

O.K., granted I was only a kid during Ainge's hayday so I have no business comparing the two. I wish I had been able to experience those early 80s days at the Y. And, quite frankly, I wish I could transplant the current BYU b-ball and football teams to Indiana. We haven't had much to cheer about round here for a while (except for our Butler friends up the road).

I still hold that Jimmer's quickness off the dribble will give future NBAers fits, even if he does play limited minutes.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 15, 2011 3:13 p.m.

NBA Scouts has seen plenty of him and more to come when come to combine. Who cares what other people (non nba proffesionals) think of him. Enjoy Jimmer and I will watch more of you in NBA!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 3:45 p.m.

IndianaCougar

You're doing fine...don't worry about it. I'm just here to tame a hedgehog that every now and then pops his head up out of his hole. He's like that gopher in Caddy Shack.

Jimmer's the real deal...he's got the goods...His range is already NBA. And he plays with heart. That alone says a lot about him.

Now then... ever hear of Dick Namelka???

Oh...and if Collie doesn't get forced into early retirement and they get him a better Helmet...Manning and the boys will be back. I just hope my 49's under Jim Hargrove will finally crawl back over the edge.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 3:49 p.m.

@IndianaCoug
    oops... I meant Jim Harbaugh of the 49er's. The other guy was a politician...big difference.

• Teddy Bear Las Vegas, NV
    May 15, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Mike Bibby is about the same size as Jimmer, known for being a great shooter and lacking on defense. If he can have a serviceable NBA career (12 yrs in the league, 15 pts and 6 assists per game for his career), I would think Jimmer could be in the ballpark. Most reasonable fans don't think he will be an all-star, but he certainly could have a good career.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 4:00 p.m.

All I know is that BYU won 32 games and advanced to the Sweet 16 with only one real scoring threat in Jimmer. All I know is Oscar Robertson said that even though other teams defenses were devised to stop Jimmer, he still scored 29 points a game. All I know is that he was the unaminous player of the year in College. All I know is that he will be a top 1st round pick and there are several teams hoping to draft him. All I know is that most basketball experts, save Ute trolls, believe Jimmer will be a great NBA player.
    The idea of trying to convince a Ute troll, who comments far too often on BYU articles, is an exercise in insanity and should be considered unintelligent at best.
    Jimmer has been successful and therefore will be successful.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 15, 2011 4:15 p.m.

I thought I was done with Ute trolls babblings about Jimmer after I "marked it down" dozens of times and every time they were wrong. I suppose all the real experts are wrong about Jimmer who have him pegged to be drafted anywhere between 4 and 20, with most of them predicting somewhere between 7 and 14. Why would I listen to the experts when I have kam utie and heghogie to rely on? I'm sure they know more than the experts.

Why do you continue to embarrass yourself with your erroneous comments that are only driven by hatred and jealousy?

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    May 15, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Hedgehog is all knowing. He was in charge of draft-day for the Jazz when they drafted Luther Wright. Listen to him. He is an excellent judge of talent.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 15, 2011 5:13 p.m.

If you watched the playoffs it was obvious the Jimmer was quick and fast when he wanted to be. The announcer's jaw dropped in mid sentence when Jimmer momentarily kicked it in to defend a fast break. Jimmer is a fast as many of the vaunted NBA guards of his size.

He is as quick/fast as DWill and a better shooter. He is not as fast/quick as D Rose, Aaron Brooks, Lawson. But he will defend as well as DWill.

@Hedge. Jimmer will fit Utah about as well as DWill did. However, he would prefer a PHO/NY offense with more shooting freedom. Even if he were a complete dud his drafting would have little impact on Utah's future as they are poor at drafting.

Jimmer will improve on D and assists in the next 2 years. His real strength is his understanding of how to run an offense/attack a defense and his shooting.

Ainge became a great player in his 3rd year in the NBA. Jimmer is better in college. Miller is not that impressive in the NBA. It is hard to compare Bogut.

Jimmer is less risky than Kemba, Burke or Leonard.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    May 15, 2011 6:24 p.m.

I wish Jimmer well. He was fun to watch and I think he will be successful at the next level. I am excited to see how he does. Go Utes.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Didn't Jimmer compete against these same NBA players at the USA tryouts in Las Vegas? Rose, Durant, Curry! If I remember right, these same players had nothing but positive things to say about Jimmer. If anything, Jimmer showed that He could play, and compete at the NBA level.

The Ute Fans are just jealous! Their program has never produced any players worth time, money, or praise. The only one I can think of is Steve Smith, and everyone knows He is subhuman! I mean, what kind of player beats up his own teammate?....A Ute!

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Jimmer was NOT better than Ainge (it took two BYU players to break his records), Andre Miller had a great, great run in the tourney, Tom Chambers was a better pro than Miller, Miller's team, despite making it to the finals, wouldn't have beaten Ainge's team or Chamber's. Miller and Jimmer both played in the years when the NBA draft severely waters down the talent. Ainge was better than Miller. No non-Ute-homer would spend 30 seconds debating that - college or pro. (All-Star and started on NBA champs and finals teams for three franchises.)

• selway Paul, Idaho
    May 15, 2011 7:38 p.m.

Pretty intense analysis of his athletic tools in the article. The combine will give a subjective imprint of his upside. Jimmers's heart,moxy, shooting range and ability to take it to the hole is off the charts. Unaminous national player of the year and by leaps and bounds the most talked about college player in decades.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:02 p.m.

"jimer is not the best player ever to play in utah...that honor goes to Andre Miller."

The hardware does all the talking.

Jimmer's accolades trumps Andre's accolades, hands down no comparison...

What's next on your argument list?

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:03 p.m.

Amazed at his ability to post up and play defense . . . NOT!

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:22 p.m.

I am not a BYU or Utah fan but Jimmer Fredette was much more exciting to watch than Andre Miller or Danny Ainge. I found it interesting that Jimmer started training at age 5.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:26 p.m.

Go JImmer. You've made the skeptics look silly so often that it comes naturally. From Ann Arbor to SLC they will have crow feathers stuck in their teeth for days.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:57 p.m.

@kamute

That's your comeback? Seriously?

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 15, 2011 10:42 p.m.

If the Jazz have the chance to bring in Jimmer, I say do it!

The facts are the facts and the numbers do not lie!

Jimmer lead the nation in scoring, always putting up huge numbers, while being double teamed 100% of the time.

Jimmers game reminds me of a cross between D-Will and John Stockton, but Jimmer strokes it better, and that is saying something. Give the kid the rock, he will find the bucket or the open man down low.

Where ever Jimmer ends up, I think he will be an All-Star. I wish him the best, but I personally hope that he ends up being a Jazz-man!

• huggyface Murray, UT
    May 15, 2011 11:33 p.m.

I'm a big Jimmer fan and hope he makes it in the NBA.

But.....

This article raves about his athleticism. It's difficult to believe a 6' 2" guy that can't dunk is very athletic.

sorry....

• OU812 Layton, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:08 a.m.

Same ole debate. If you want the player with all the individual awards? go with Jimmer. If you want the quintessential team player, go with Miller.
    To compare Jimmer to D Will is laughable. I know its a bias/hate thing, but DWill is heads and shoulders above Jimmer in every comparison except shooting contested 35' 3s. DWill is still one of the top 3 PG in the NBA. I know you like the Jimmer, but lets hope he makes a team first before we start saying he is all NBA.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    May 16, 2011 12:20 a.m.

@Kamute

Comparing Jimmer to Derek Rose is like comparing any other draft prospect to LeBron or Kobe. Name one draft prospect that Derek Rose, Lebron, Dwight Howard, or Durrant would not "run circles around" and "make look silly".

I believe that MVP Derek Rose would run circles around pre-draft Derek Rose.

The reality is that Jimmer led the nation in scoring and was consensus NCAA MVP and MWC MVP. Just like any other draft prospect, he has a ton of potential but it will take a few years to see how good he really is, or can be. Perhaps Jimmer:Rose = Bogut:Howard. Or perhaps he'll be much better.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    May 16, 2011 4:24 a.m.

Andre Miller vs Jimmer?????? No contest, Jimmer would be a better person for trying!!!

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Hey Kamute,

"Jimmer shot under 40% in college 3 pt range. That is a normal jump shot in the NBA. "

Under 40% if you count all 4 years. Over 40% his last 3.

A 21 ft (20 ft 9 in) is not a "Normal" Jump shot in the NBA. That is a deep shot. Right in front of the 3 pt line. (22-23ft). How many 21 ft jump shots do you see in an NBA game? Also, how many did Jimmer shoot right up against the line? Honestly, I watched every game and only remember a couple. Most were at least 24-25 ft, some closer to 28 or 29 feet. He shot over 300 last year, which is 100 more than any other player. Most were with a double team or triple team. Teams picked him up at half court.

I know there are straight up blue Kool-Aid drinkers that predict Jimmer will surpass Kobe, MJ and Wilt, but come on...Kamute, Chris B and Hedgie have either never put on a jock, have no clue at all about basketball or just post out of pure hate for everything BYU.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 16, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Stats lie, eyeballs don't (those without rose-colored glasses).

Jimmer will make fools of every team that passes up on him in this draft. They'll learn to regret it.

The team that drafts him, if they're smart enough to make him their PG (even if he backs the current one up til he gets accustomed to NBA speed), will have a superstar to build around.

Superstar = unstoppable.
    All-star = great player.

Then there's all the rest.

How many in this year's draft will be all-stars? Probably a half dozen, at most.

How many have the potential to be superstars? Only one: The Jimmer.

You draft to make your team better. ANY team would draft a superstar with their first pick, IF they understood which player might be one.

This year's draft is pretty thin on talent. That should help someone see the light about Jimmer.

Hopefully, it's the Jazz, as I'm a Jazz fan and that team currently doesn't have a superstar.

Remember, a superstar is UNSTOPPABLE. Only Jimmer fits that bill in this year's draft.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 9:59 a.m.

can the jimer dunk a basketball?

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    May 16, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Come on Jazz....Draft the Jimmer. I hope Jimmer will last long enough in the draft till the Jazz's pick.

With a couple years of NBA experience under his belt, I believe Jimmer will be as good as DWill. Those two can score the basketball just as good as anyone.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 16, 2011 11:01 a.m.

I made the comparison to DWill.

1. DWill is not that good of defender.
    2. DWill is a good shooter but Jimmer is better.
    3. DWill is an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier. Jimmer will gain 10 pounds.
    4. DWill's ability to dish and attack the rim is superior but Jimmer will improve in those areas. Jimmer does appear to have some of Stockton's talent for navigating crowds and tall trees.
    5. Both have killer cross overs. Jimmer may be slightly better.
    6. Both are extremely intelligent, know how to attack a defense and run an offense. DWill has a lot more experience. Give Jimmer 3 years.

Jimmer's biggest weakness is his lateral movement. DWill is superior but often got burned by Rose, Lawson and other small quick guards (not CP3). Jimmer has a very quick first step. That helps on offense but can translate to defense.

Jimmer has the potential be be a very good NBA point guard. His development is crucial but he has the foundational tools to be very good at it.

The Jazz need outside shooting so badly, I do not think they will go wrong with drafting Jimmer.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 16, 2011 11:06 a.m.

Want to see the future for Jimmer? Look at JJ Barea on the Mavs. He is a Laker killer. I believe the future is bright for Jimmer. I am hoping the Mavs pick him up.

• JDL Magna, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:35 a.m.

Hedge,

Does it even matter if Jimmer can dunk the ball or not? How many times have you seen John Stockton dunk? John Stockton is arguably the best PG EVER in the NBA.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Definately full of ATHLETICISM! This article needs to be shoved in the face of those clowns that think ATHLETICISM is code for "black" All the yob announcers that use the term on ESPN, CBS etc and the those fools that drink it in need to wake Jimmer is one of the most ATHLETIC players in the game and time will prove it to those so-called mindless NBA and College announcers!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 12:01 p.m.

'Does it even matter if Jimmer can dunk the ball or not?'
    JDL,

I'm taking that as a NO.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 16, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Jimmer will be a good to great pro. I wonder how many guys in the draft could play for a full season with 2-3 guys on him and still average nearly 30 points. These same guys will be the guys in the NBA that will be trying to guard him. I heard a scout describe Jimmer this way: "He's very strong. Very quick. Good vertical. Hair trigger shot."

He was exceptional in college and I think he'll be exceptional in the pros.

Best guard I've seen since Pistol Pete.

• Abeille West Haven, Utah
    May 16, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Hedgie, Huggyface, et al:

Of course Jimmer can dunk! This article wasn't questioning his ability to dunk, it was pointing out that his strengths lie elsewhere. Don't believe me? Google it! Enter 'Jimmer Fredette Dunk' and you'll have several to choose from.

• Abeille West Haven, Utah
    May 16, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Hedgie, Huggyface, et al:

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Hedgie.....

Jimmer doesn't need to dunk! When you can score 47 points on your supposed rival, and 3 of them from half court?......Well, Why would one need dunking skills? Obviously you have never played!

• huggyface Murray, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:03 p.m.

RE: Abeille

I did your search and came up with one dunk vs UTEP and he could barely throw it down. I continued searching and searching (even through the missed dunk attempts) and had to go way back to the Glens falls gym when he dunked in high school. Sorry, one dunk in his entire college career is not proof that he is "a dunker." This is why some of us doubt he is as "athletic" as his coaches and trainers say he is.

This article goes on and on about how athletic Jimmer is. In today's NBA a major element in defining an "athletic" NBA prospect is that they can dunk. Even 5'8" Nate Robinson and 5' 11" Ty Lawson are dunking on people.

We'll see how he stacks up to the other prospects later this week.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Hedgie.... always getting a rise out of BYU fans. OK..I will take the bait.

Dunk? That is the best you can do? I guess after being wrong on BYU basketball 30+ times in your predictions.

How many times did you see Isiah dunk? Stockton? Bird? How bout 2 time NBA-MVP Steve Nash? I see him fly down the lane and throw it down all the time. LOL

I LOVE the defense argument. Like anyone plays Defense in the NBA. I go to too many NBA games as it is and the only time I saw D-Will work on the defensive end was when he is going against Chris Paul. Jimmer more than held his own in Vegas last summer. Funny how the other NBA players that went against him were impressed, Curry, Billups, Rose and others. None of them question Jimmer, but Hedgehog and Chris B (Same person) said he will not make it so "Mark it down"

• Abeille West Haven, Utah
    May 16, 2011 4:48 p.m.

huggyface -

Who ever said he is a 'dunker'? Let me remind you of what your past post said:

"This article raves about his athleticism. It's difficult to believe a 6'2" guy that can't dunk is very athletic. Sorry..."

Did the link I mentioned in my post show Jimmer dunking? By your own admission, it does. Therefore, he CAN dunk. You mention it only showed the UTEP dunk. There were others - including the game vs Colorado State. Now you want to go from Jimmer "...can't dunk..." to deciding whether he did it well enough to satisfy you? Oh brother! And by the way, guys that are 6'2" that can dunk are very athletic! Not many can. My vertical was 38" before I could dunk. That's what makes Nate Robinson and Ty Lawson's abilities so unique - their verticals were out of this world! They are both terrific players. But neither were drafted for their great dunking abilities.

As to rating potential all-star guards, we can all be thankful you weren't rating John Stockton's abilities.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:51 p.m.

I'm not one to post something to an article unless I am able to substantiate it through deductive reasoning or from a named or unnamed source. That being said, I read some information about Jimmer that I thought others might want to know.

As we all know, not long ago he was asked to withdraw from BYU campus classes due to the distractions he was unintentionally creating. Not much after that, a writer speculates, he went missing. For a period of several weeks he was "incomunicado." Then, as the speculation continues, after the Pakistani raid he suddenly "re-appears." I know he is very atheltic as this article brings to light, but, due to his quick reflexes, unrivaled brains, and unmatched strength was he recruited for a national security issue?

I think Jimmer will make a fine NBA player. It's not unrealistic for expectations to be set at Ainge-like career levels (or better).

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 16, 2011 5:58 p.m.

Can Jimmer dunk? With a vert of 36 inches and a height of 6' 2" and an arm length of 15-18 inches plus hand length above his head the answer is

Does he need to? Well most of the time NO.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 16, 2011 6:05 p.m.

I think Jimmer is a reasonable risk. However if the Jazz draft Knight I will not be upset. He also is a reasonable risk as a PG. I like Jimmer a lot more than Burkes, Leonard or even Kemba. Thompson also has major risks. There is not much to choose from in guards.

At least we know that Jimmer can shoot and over longer taller guys and over double/triple teams. He can spot up or shoot on the move. He will create shots for himself and others.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2011 6:13 p.m.

I'd love to see the Jazz pick up Jimmer with the 12th pick. He needs to learn to play the game without dominating the ball. His basketball IQ is good enough that he will likely do that. He will also shoot better when he plays about 15-20 minutes a night instead of 40 mins. His defense will always be suspect, not because he can't play defense - but because he basically refuses to play defense. Jackson was such a solid defensive player that he covered for Jimmer's lack of effort there. However, it isn't like the NBA is full of defensive stoppers. It is an offensive league (until the playoffs).

I like Jimmer coming off the bench for a few years as a "microwave" type player like Vinner Johnson. Instant offense. But then developing his game to the point where he can run an offense (Rose/Rice didn't run much offense other than hand Jimmer the ball and set him a series of staggered ball screens his jr/sr years). When he does that he will be a solid investment for whoever picks him.

Jazz should pull the trigger at 12 - not 6/7.

• huggyface Murray, UT
    May 16, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Abeille:

There was never a question about his B-Ball skills. He is awesome and I'm as big of a Jimmer fan there is. He was NPOY for good reason. No, he doesn't need to dunk to be a star in the NBA. Three pointers are better than 2's anyway.

The theme of this article touted his athleticism so much I wondered why Jimmer wasn't dunking like Jackson did all year. The article leads us to believe his athleticism is off the charts.

Being able to dunk (with some flavor and authority)- like Jackson and other "athletic" NBA prospects - is a sign of athleticism - the point of the article.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 16, 2011 9:24 p.m.

hedgehog | 12:39 p.m. May 15, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI

I guess we're just gonna have to take your word for it that you're the expert about bottom feeding basketball teams huh?

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 16, 2011 11:01 p.m.

With the 6th pick on this year's NBA Draft the Utah Jazz picks Jimmer Fredette from BYU...(there would be mixed emotions from the Utah crowd)...everyone has always...undervalued a player...i mean come on...who knows...he could be a hall of famer...heck...Utah Jazz fans that witnessed the draft of John Stockton...Booed a future hall of famer...what im trying to say...if he does good at the combine..and if we do draft him with the 6th pick...it would be because of potential...let's just enjoy the show....and keep rooting for the Jazz...

• selway Paul, Idaho
    May 16, 2011 11:03 p.m.

huggyface you stated he cannot dunk which on the face is idiotic. Do not try to put your imbecilic comment into context. The verticle on the 40 foot hanging jump shot against Utah shows much more athleticism than any dunk ever could. Anyone who knows basketball can see Fredette is an amazing athlete. Get a clue.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 17, 2011 3:06 a.m.

Jimmer will either be ROY in the NBA next year or no worse than 2nd runner up... And I can't wait to watch him.... I'm a Mavs fan and a 20 year season ticket holder and I would love it if we got him here in Dallas.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Jimmer could exceed Magic Johnson as the greatest player ever.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 17, 2011 7:54 a.m.

I went to draft express and viewed the video of strengths/weaknesses of both Jimmer and Knight. These are 2 different styles of PG.

Knights strengths are attacking the basket and potential for defense. He is smooth and quick. He has range but his game is more predominantly inside. His shot selection should be better. He lacks experience running a team. But he should develop into a very good PG with experience.

It is harder to get a feel for Jimmer. His strength is his outside shooting. He can pass and orchestrate a team, but BYU's offense is very unorthodox. His mid range game is pretty good. He is not strong at attacking the basket or finishing at the rim. His weakness on defense looked down right bad since it was highlighted as a weakness.

Jimmer is better on D than the film suggests.

The big problem is his outside PG style. Knight is an attacking style (that can add outside range) similar to Harris.

Jimmer would change the Jazz offense. He would open it up. The inside attack would primarily come from other players.

This may be good? Jimmer would compliment Hayward or a slasher at SG.

• BaneOfHedgehog Bothell, WA
    May 17, 2011 11:52 a.m.

RE: "Derrick Rose will make Jimmer looks silly...."

DERRRR!! Derrick Rose makes *everyone* look silly. There's a reason he's the MVP... /facepalm

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    May 17, 2011 11:53 a.m.

This Ute fan is all about the Jimmer. He is going to be great! With his range, and ability to get open, he is going to succeed.