Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors named to second-team All-Rookie squad

Comments

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    May 11, 2011 3:16 p.m.

People obviously didn't see the Lakers game.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 11, 2011 4:11 p.m.

This is great for both Favors and Hayward. I think Favors actually had a better season than most people expected, he was supposed to be a long term project with enormous potential, but he showed towards the end of the season that he's a productive player right now. Over the last 5 games he averaged 11.4 points 6.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in 27 minutes.

Hayward probably had the best finish to the season for any rookie not named Griffen or Wall, but since this a cumulative award I can see why he didn't make the 2nd team.

If the all rookie team was for the rookies who were playing the best basketball at the end of the season, both Jazz rookies would have been in the top 10.

The only thing I disagree with the coaches over is putting Neal over Monroe for the last spot on the first team.

I think this is the best class of rookies the NBA has seen since the 2003 class.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 11, 2011 4:51 p.m.

This is terrific news! It's the beginning of a beautiful win-ship! Get it? The Jazz are on the up and up!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 11, 2011 6:08 p.m.

i would have thought Hayward would get a nod...but because he was benched most of the season...i guess that's why...i think coaches should trust rookies a bit more...i mean...you drafted them...why not use them...if Hayward and Evans had a steady 15-20 min playing time i think Hayward would be a lock in...and Evans would have a shot

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 11, 2011 8:04 p.m.

I'm looking forward to what Favors and Hayward will do next year, they both have great up side and should make immediate contributions. IMO both Favors and Hayward should start the season as starters, it probably won't happen but to me it should. Milsap needs to work on his skills to play alot more minutes at the 3, so Favors can start and get major minutes as the starting 4.
    I'd like to see the Jazz be able to trade Bell, but that probably won't happen, Hayward needs to start at the 2.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 11, 2011 8:23 p.m.

I think the balloting made some sense, since Hayward didn't play that much through most of the season, and when he did, except for the final stretch, he played a lot against other team's second string. The thing to me that was fantastic was Hayward's 3-pt shot percentage ending up so high by the end of the year, and his admitting to the press at the end that he was confident that he belonged in the league. Coach should definitely start him next year. I think Favors should start too. I'm hoping that Jefferson or Milsap is traded (though I hate saying that about Milsap, who has been a hard-working force for the Jazz) and Fes signed but there are so many variables, including who the Jazz draft and which veterans are wooed by other teams.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    May 11, 2011 8:26 p.m.

Hayward had the better year, but kudos to Favors! I'm excited to see his off-season development

• Viva Los Jazz Garland, UT
    May 12, 2011 12:46 a.m.

I remember how badly I wanted the Jazz to get Greg Monroe and they tried to trade up for him or another power forward. I am SO happy that we got Derrick Favors and he's turned out to be our future power forward for the next 5 to 6 years. Paul George had more votes than Gordan Hayward but George didn't shoot very efficiently as a 3 point shooter and I'm glad we got Haward as well even though he didn't make the second team. I really am excited about the draft that will allow us to get deaper, perhaps we'll wind up getting two more of the best lottery picks of the draft. This is so much better than having to take a project like Kosta Koufos or DeShawn Stevenson. Drafting in the top 13 gives you players that have a higher athletic learning curve.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 12, 2011 6:13 a.m.

i think out of the rookies this season...Favors and Hayward would be one of the top players that came from their draft year...the coaching staff should give them their trust and start them....they would develop faster...and they would easily improve their already good chemistry...i hope we get two steals from this year's draft...

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    May 12, 2011 7:48 a.m.

Favors is one of the top 2-3 picks in last years draft. He could end up being an all-star calibre player in the NBA.

We are extremely lucky to have him...& he appears to be a great kid. You do not get a good big like that very often.

• louisiana jazz man Dubach, LA
    May 12, 2011 8:16 a.m.

demarcus cousins by far the best of the draft

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    May 12, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Hayward got D-Will and Sloanized otherwise he would have made at least a 2nd teamer. As for Favors he just needs playing time like Evans and will be a huge contributor for us for many years. Just do whatever you need to do next week as far as luck O'Connor, and lets move up in the draft! Good luck to all.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    May 12, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I would say that Favors is top 2-3 in last years draft...Hayward is certainly top 10 maybe 6-8.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 12, 2011 10:06 a.m.

What awards they qualified for isn't important to me, it's how they finished the season, they were playing pretty good, especially Gordon, and Favors was showing improvement too. They both just need to work hard in the off season and come back determined to start and be big contributors. I hope the coaches are working them hard until July 1st, like KOC said they would be doing.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Re Louisiana Jazz man:
    Talent wise I think you're right, but Cousins might just be the most spoiled, infantile player the NBA has ever seen. Because his personality is so corrosive, I don't think he will ever be a major contributor on a playoff team.

I would take both Favors and Hayward over Cousins in a redraft.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2011 11:28 a.m.

WoW

• vail39 Summerville, SC
    May 12, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Congrats. All the Jazz need to do now is Get the Mailman to Coach the Bigs.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 12, 2011 1:51 p.m.

I would put my money on that second team all day long!

Too bad Air Gordon didn't make the team, he really came on big at the end of the season, too big yo! lol

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 12, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Interesting...Both Favors and Hayward were top 10 picks but neither lived up to their draft positions. Favors should have been first team and Hayward second team based on how they were drafted. Both played below their expectations coming into the league. Goes to show that it doesn't matter where you are drafted, but how you play the game.

Oh and this a season award not a "Hayward" had a few good games award.

• Allthingsjazz SLC, ut
    May 12, 2011 3:12 p.m.

I personally wouldn't want to coach Cousins even though he has the potential to be one of the better centers in the league. Hayward and Favors are already in full off-season workout mode! Two more with the work ethic like them is all we want as Jazz fans out of this years draft.....right? I'd love to see that 12th pick go top 3!!

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Hayward & Favors will be fine, both started out slow in bad situations and then showed improvement once stabilized, which is all you can ask from a rookie.

Next step is to see how hard they worked in their first off-season and how they react now that teams have scouting reports on them.

Favors' upside is far higher (Amare who plays defense), but Hayward should be a fine swingman, assuming his strength builds up, his free throws improve, and his three pointers stay solid.

Stuff like All-Rookie team is meaningless; Griffen, Wall, Monroe & Cousins' teams all did worse than the Jazz.

The interesting comparisons in five years will be Favors with Monroe & Cuzz, and Hayward with Paul George.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    May 12, 2011 5:21 p.m.

@ CJ... Where you get drafted now days is all about potential. It doesn't necessarily translate into how you will do the next year in the NBA. If that were the case, a lot of seniors (more NBA ready) would be picked higher than these young kids who clearly are a couple of years away from reaching their potential. Kudos to Hayward, Favors and Evans, who are young and improving because they have a strong work ethic. Here is hoping CJ gets that when it comes to his shooting form/balance, otherwise, it will be bye, bye.....

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 12, 2011 6:13 p.m.

I wonder if CJ will ever get it? I hope he does, I love his talent but not his work ethic, so far this off season he hasn't done much but recover, I hope he gets after it, he needs to find new/different people to workout with in the offseason.
    I hope Favors, Hayward and Evan are working hard, it would be fun/interesting to hear how they are doing. KOC said they were going to work them hard until July 1st , lockout start, I hope they are.
    Wish the NBA could work things out and avoid this possible lockout.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 12, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Where was CJ drafted? like number 50 that year. I wonder how many of those drafted above him are still in the league, let alone playing. Now there is a player who exceeded expectations.

Bugoff, answer that one for me. You like stats.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 12, 2011 9:02 p.m.

CJMiles: As such a CJ advocate, I'm surprised you don't know when CJ was drafted, I think CJ was the 4th pick in that years 2nd round of the draft.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 12, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Captain...I don't like CJ that much!!!

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    May 13, 2011 9:59 a.m.

CJ was the 34th pick of the draft. Players still in the league who were drafted after CJ.....Ersan Illyasova, Ronny Turiaf, Von Wafer, Monta Ellis, Lou Williams, Andray Blatche, Ryan Gomes, Amir Johnson, and Marcin Gortat! CJ work on your shot and shot selection. Clearly there are a few on that list that the Jazz should have drafted over CJ.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    May 13, 2011 8:12 p.m.

@Dr Truth

Add Ginobili to that list. He was drafted 50th.
    Milsap- 47th

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 13, 2011 8:26 p.m.

Milsap wasn't drafted the same yr as CJ. CJMiles was talking about players drafted that same yr.

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    May 13, 2011 9:58 p.m.

Man, I'm glad we didn't draft Epke.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    May 14, 2011 1:30 a.m.

@Captain L

Ooops, my bad..

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 14, 2011 9:39 p.m.

@CJ Miles

Where have you been all season?...you do know Hayward got limited play time...as well with Favors...they werent given the playing time like Landry Fields got at NY....plus....the Jazz should have went with Monta...rather than the clunker CJ...

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    May 15, 2011 1:34 p.m.

I like CJ, I think he improved last season and I expect him to learn from last year and get better and take his game to a higher level this coming season.

Hopefully the Jazz bring CJ back, when CJ slashes to the rim good things happen.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 16, 2011 6:01 p.m.

@CJ Miles

lol...i think you got stumped again...asking questions that you should know the answer would make you foolish...CJ was drafted number 34...guys who went after him that are still playing...Ersan Ilyasova, Ronny Turiaf, Monta Ellis(if you are so proud of your CJ we could have had Monta...Monta is a player that exceeds expectations NOT CJ...), Louis Williams (i'd rather have him than CJ), Andray Blatche (again better than CJ), Ryan Gomes, Amir Johnson, Marcin Gortat...wow if you'd look at it...CJ is the one underperforming....lol...Gortat averaged almost a 20-10 at the end of the year...due to nash...Ersan Ilyasova has consistency issues like CJ...but is more of a hustle player...I left Von Wafer out because he'd probably be gone...you dont wanna look at stats right now CJ...coz by the looks of things CJ would get buried...lol...but i have to admit CJ has the athleticism...but...he cant seem to apply it on the court...there are guys who has it...and there are guys who dont...